PDA

View Full Version : Clippers were the toughest matchup for Mavs this playoff

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 09:27 AM
Styles make fights and Clippers are easily the most difficult team for Mavs, because they had multiple Luka defenders, which is why Luka overall had a very subpar series scoring wise.

Denver, OKC, none of those teams have the same defenders on Luka. Denver obviously is a challenge and will really put Kidd in the spotlight in being able to stay organised on defense. Gafford, Lively and Maxi will need to play their best games. However, unlike with Clips, Luka will score easier, which will put Denver in trouble too.

With Denver I see it as a 50-50 coin toss and more depends on how the Mavs can limit the role players production, forcing Jokic into scoring more and using more energy, while targeting him for Luka dribbles on the defense.

In the east, Boston and Knicks are the two greatest challenges for Mavs. I feel better about Knicks after seeing them play. Historically they have been very tough for Mavs as they used to be very physical with Luka. They don't seem quite as physical this time around.

That leaves Boston and it could very well be that they're too difficult. Will have to watch some of their games. Jaylen Brown, Derrick White and Jrue Holiday are potentially good Luka defenders. Al Horford too. They did lose Smart, Brogdon and 2xWilliams, which I think might actually have gutted their physical core.

Overall, I think the odds of Mavs becoming champions are now pretty good.

tpols
05-04-2024, 10:27 AM
I feel like Dallas really got a very favorable playoff path. Instead of having to face the wolves and Nuggets in the first two rounds they got the clippers without kawhi and baby okc. AND one of the wolves and Nuggets are going to knock each other out in this current round.

tontoz
05-04-2024, 10:33 AM
Clippers without Kawhi are the toughest matchup?

:kobe:

SouBeachTalents
05-04-2024, 10:37 AM
What an absolutely ridiculous claim :oldlol:

The Nuggets, Wolves, Lakers, hell I'd even be tempted to say Phoenix would be a tougher out than the Kawhi less Clippers helmed by Harden, Pandemic P & Westbrick.

BarberSchool
05-04-2024, 10:39 AM
Styles make fights and Clippers are easily the most difficult team for Mavs, because they had multiple Luka defenders, which is why Luka overall had a very subpar series scoring wise.

Denver, OKC, none of those teams have the same defenders on Luka.

Gafford, Lively and Maxi will need to play their best games.

Overall, I think the odds of Mavs becoming champions are now pretty good.
This….
So long as Maxi shoulder can heal enough to be able to shoot 35%+ from 3 by the WCF. Maxi has shot 40%+ from 3, in the last 3 Mavs playoff runs.

They will need floor spacing minutes from him, during times in the WCF, and possibly finals, when small ball where every player can guard the perimeter in switches, is the move. Other than that, they can just play Gafford and Lively and enjoy crushing lobs and offensive rebounds and top level rim protection.

j3lademaster
05-04-2024, 11:01 AM
I think it’s scarier that the Nuggets can sweep comfortably with Luka averaging 40 than “not having a legit Luka defender”. It’s honestly more of a concern from the Mavs side, if Zubac is putting up 16/9 on 60% on you what do you think Jokic is gonna do?

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 11:02 AM
I think it’s scarier that the Nuggets can sweep comfortably with Luka averaging 40 than “not having a legit Luka defender”. It’s honestly more of a concern from the Mavs side, if Zubac is putting up 16/9 on 60% on you what do you think Jokic is gonna do?

Jokic typically doesn't work the low post as much as Zubac though and Zubac is bigger and stronger. Of course Jokic will eat Gafford and Lively alive, but again, styles make fights and Zubac is bigger than Jokic, which made Gafford useless on defense.

tpols
05-04-2024, 11:04 AM

Joķic has to get by the wolves first who are perfectly built to limit denver.

BarberSchool
05-04-2024, 11:05 AM
As great as Jokic is, offensively, and with positional defensive rotation…. he is just physically unable to be a great rim protector, against big wings slashing, or against athletic bigs his height or taller. Dallas has a whole lotta that, including a very large PG, and the best finishing small PG of all time, who will both be in the paint all series; unafraid of Jokic being able to touch their attempts. And even if Jokic stays home, Dallas might just throw the lobs over him anyways, and let Jokic get dunked on in embarrassing fashion.

Tyson Chandler needs to be working with Lively and Gafford immediately and at length, about going OVER a planted defender, and using two hands and hanging on the rim, to avoid any fear of injury.

Saying Denver sweeps Dallas easy is insane.

BarberSchool
05-04-2024, 11:11 AM
Jokic typically doesn't work the low post as much as Zubac though and Zubac is bigger and stronger. Of course Jokic will eat Gafford and Lively alive, but again, styles make fights and Zubac is bigger than Jokic, which made Gafford useless on defense.
This. Neither Gafford or lively weigh anything close to Jokic, and he will be able to bully either to some degree in the post, but I think Denver appears poorly suited to defend how Dallas can attack the paint, from many angles. And the OKC series, will give Dallas a lot of confidence bodying an anorexic rim protector, so they will be heading into Denver with bigs and slashers feeling themselves, against a squad whose best rim protector (Aaron Gordon) is also a perimeter defender, who might draw the task of defending Luka.

BarberSchool
05-04-2024, 11:15 AM
Joķic has to get by the wolves first who are perfectly built to limit denver.I’m expecting Towns on Jokic, due to a heavier base than Toody. And no doubling. Leaving Toody to play the Garnett role, roaming to step into his block attempts on cutters and slashers, which won’t be as open as if Jokic was doubled.

Will Jokic be able to put Towns in foul trouble ? Or can towns resist the fakes?

tpols
05-04-2024, 11:19 AM
I’m expecting Towns on Jokic, due to a heavier base than Toody. And no doubling. Leaving Toody to play the Garnett role, roaming to step into his block attempts on cutters and slashers, which won’t be as open as if Jokic was doubled.

Will Jokic be able to put Towns in foul trouble ? Or can towns resist the fakes?

I think they might put Jaden McDaniels on jokic and rudy on AG sò he never has to leave the paint. Mcdaniels can pester Yolk on the perimeter and if he goes inside Gobert has the help. Like a way better version of what the Lakers tried to do using rui as man defender and AD as help.

BarberSchool
05-04-2024, 11:22 AM
I think they might put Jaden McDaniels on jokic and rudy on AG sò he never has to leave the paint. Mcdaniels can pester Yolk on the perimeter and if he goes inside Gobert has the help. Like a way better version of what the Lakers tried to do using rui as man defender and AD as help.Naz Reid maybe if Towns in trouble, but zero percent chance of McDaniels on Yolk. I get what you’re saying with Rui/AD-roam, but Yolk outweighs mcDaniels by literally 100lbs. Yolk without a double would shoot 85% against mcdaniesl.

tpols
05-04-2024, 11:32 AM
Naz Reid maybe if Towns in trouble, but zero percent chance of McDaniels on Yolk. I get what you’re saying with Rui/AD-roam, but Yolk outweighs mcDaniels by literally 100lbs. Yolk without a double would shoot 85% against mcdaniesl.

I guess we'll see tonight. KAT is a far worse defender than mcdanieĺs and McDaniels is a legit 6'11 measured this year. He could be a pest on the perimeter for sure. Obviously if Jokic gets anywhere near the paint Rudy's gotta be there immediately. Which shouldn't be hard to do since he's gonna be put on Gordon.

j3lademaster
05-04-2024, 11:35 AM
Joķic has to get by the wolves first who are perfectly built to limit denver.
Very true. Wolves can go big by putting KAT on him and have Gobert to play safety and keep AG off the glass. Live with making AG try to beat you by hitting jump shots. Or Nuggets start limiting AG’s minutes and Gobert guards Jokic.

imdaman99
05-04-2024, 04:15 PM
In the east, Boston and Knicks are the two greatest challenges for Mavs. I feel better about Knicks after seeing them play. Historically they have been very tough for Mavs as they used to be very physical with Luka. They don't seem quite as physical this time around.

OG on Luka, I like their chances. See you in the finals bud :oldlol:

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 06:00 PM
OG on Luka, I like their chances. See you in the finals bud :oldlol:

Yeah OG is good, but he is short.

Mavs vs Knicks finals would be the best. Luka vs Brunson, perfect.

tpols
05-04-2024, 06:21 PM
Yeah OG is good, but he is short.

Mavs vs Knicks finals would be the best. Luka vs Brunson, perfect.

Dallas would wipe new York H2H.

Brunson the only dude who can get you 30. Mavs have Luka and kyrie that can do that in their sleep.

Boston would be a problem though.

90sgoat
05-04-2024, 06:24 PM
Dallas would wipe new York H2H.

Brunson the only dude who can get you 30. Mavs have Luka and kyrie that can do that in their sleep.

Boston would be a problem though.

Yeah Boston are probably a real threat this year.

They are noticeably less physical on paper, but haven't watched them. New faces, no one knows how they respond.