PDA

View Full Version : No Gobert Tonight, DPOY Clearly Should Be Wemby

Fallguy20
05-07-2024, 06:17 AM
The Wolves hold the Nuggets to 81 points in the second game when the Nuggets need to be desperate for a win. Sure, they were ice cold, but you can’t tell me that Gobert is the reason his team is so good defensively. A part of it sure, give him credit, but this just shows that the Spurs being 5th best defensive with Wemby on the court and near the bottom without him is somehow worse that Gobert.

Listen to the players, they know what’s up.

Rookie of the year and DPOY.

Axe
05-07-2024, 06:55 AM
:applause:

ArbitraryWater
05-07-2024, 07:32 AM
Holding the Nuggets at home to 80 in a must win playoff game... yeah, Wemby is DPOTY.

r0drig0lac
05-07-2024, 07:33 AM
the alien

John8204
05-07-2024, 08:37 AM
Is it possible that everyone that comes in second this year for regular season awards should have ended up coming in first.

L.Kizzle
05-07-2024, 09:07 AM
Respectfully no.

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2024, 09:35 AM
Trolls are desperate :facepalm

Kblaze8855
05-07-2024, 09:43 AM
At this point, it seems like a Marcus smart situation. A whole team that plays great defense, so it’s decided to give defensive player of the year to the one who has the biggest defensive, pedigree and reputation going in. It’s fine. It’s not like some egregious error, but you can watch the games and see Wemby Would also be a reasonable pick.

Manny98
05-07-2024, 12:10 PM
No Rudy deserves DPOY he anchored the best defense in the league, yes the Wolves are a tough defense with or without Rudy but that shouldn't take away from his impact on that end

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2024, 12:12 PM
The numbers didnt back up smart winning. Numbers tell the story here. Gobert isnt loved as you so often remind us. He wins it because hes the best

ImKobe
05-07-2024, 12:17 PM
What does a Playoff game have to do with a RS award?

Can't wait for the "Jokic didn't deserve MVP" threads if he loses to the T-Wolves in the 2nd round.

k0kakw0rld
05-07-2024, 12:19 PM
DPOY who led his team to 60 losses?
OP must be smoking something good.

WhiteKyrie
05-07-2024, 12:56 PM
Wemby is obviously the DPOY. Rudy is nice, but they didn’t miss a beat without him, in fact, they looked better. How often do you need a rim, protector and defender in today’s NBA? All the damage is done on the perimeter, even with a guy like Jokic. You really just need a big bodied, but quick feet stretch four to guard him. The east should be on perimeter, defense, and versatility. Shit, I would trade Rudy while his value is at a highest right now and get more perimeter defenders that are long that can play the two, three, four spot

Kblaze8855
05-07-2024, 02:29 PM
Both Rudy and Reid have player options next summer. Rudy probably picks his up because he makes 47 million the final year of his deal but Reid isn’t gonna keep playing for 15 in a league with role players making 35. You trade Rudy next trade deadline to have money to pay Reid if you don’t wanna give Rudy 50-60 million a year Even as the cap goes up. He will be 33 next summer. Do you want to pay 200 or more million to get him through 37 if Reid takes another step?

If they win or get too close not to run it back maybe you pay. Franchise like Minnesota cant afford to break up winning groups I guess. But Reid is coming and he’s gonna be way cheaper. I don’t know if they max him, but do you imagine they pay KAT 60, Rudy 50, and Reid 35 to come off the bench?

Axe
05-07-2024, 03:56 PM
The numbers didnt back up smart winning. Numbers tell the story here. Gobert isnt loved as you so often remind us. He wins it because hes the best
:roll:

hold this L
05-07-2024, 04:06 PM
Why would the guy in one of the worst teams in the league get the DPOTY award? That doesn't make any sense. You also can't base things off one game, but I see all of ish's smartest posters all going for the same point. :lol

rawimpact
05-07-2024, 04:13 PM
Imagine winning dPOY when the opposing teams average more points against them...

RRR3
05-07-2024, 04:49 PM
Why would the guy in one of the worst teams in the league get the DPOTY award? That doesn't make any sense. You also can't base things off one game, but I see all of ish's smartest posters all going for the same point. :lol
Because they're the worst defense ever when Wemby isn't on the court and a good when he is?

I get it you're petrified because you know Wemby is going to make Steph's career look like a footnote if he stays healthy, but try to hold back the tears.

Hey Yo
05-07-2024, 04:58 PM
The Wolves hold the Nuggets to 81 points in the second game when the Nuggets need to be desperate for a win. Sure, they were ice cold, but you can’t tell me that Gobert is the reason his team is so good defensively. A part of it sure, give him credit, but this just shows that the Spurs being 5th best defensive with Wemby on the court and near the bottom without him is somehow worse that Gobert.

Listen to the players, they know what’s up.

Rookie of the year and DPOY.

Colt Seavers in house!?!?

:cheers:

Hey Yo
05-07-2024, 05:01 PM
Because they're the worst defense ever when Wemby isn't on the court and a good when he is?

I get it you're petrified because you know Wemby is going to make Steph's career look like a footnote if he stays healthy, but try to hold back the tears.
:oldlol:

exaggerate much?

hold this L
05-07-2024, 05:23 PM

Yeah, that's exactly what I fear. A center being better than Curry in the future. I especially haven't slept since there's some 10 year old that's going to pass him by in the future.

RRR3
05-07-2024, 05:44 PM
:oldlol:

exaggerate much?
No?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1bs2fv3/the_spurs_defensive_ranking_with_wembanyama_on/

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/worst-team-defensive-rating-in-season-nba-history

Gramps really thought he had me, but he struck out again :lol

Kblaze8855
05-07-2024, 05:50 PM
That great a difference really should be embarrassing but they probably don’t care. I suspect not many will be there by the time the Spurs are good again. Rudy is obviously gonna win it but that’s wild.

I saw heat fans pointing out what they were like this year in the playoffs without Bam last night as well

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2024, 07:27 PM
StatMuse: Rudy Gobert has more DPOY awards than Draymond Green Tim Duncan Kevin Garnett Giannis Antetokounmpo LeBron James Anthony Davis combined. pic.twitter.com/FoKetDTMog – via Twitter statmuse

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2024, 07:28 PM
Springfield here he comes :bowdown:

ArbitraryWater
05-07-2024, 07:57 PM
What does a Playoff game have to do with a RS award?

Can't wait for the "Jokic didn't deserve MVP" threads if he loses to the T-Wolves in the 2nd round.

lmao why would they have better defenders now?

MVP is a regular season award dumbass.

You thinking thats the same rebuttal shows your tiny IQ.

WhiteKyrie
05-07-2024, 08:54 PM

You clearly didn’t see Wemby then and some very telling stats that back up his case. Multiple defenders on Minny are dawgs. Wemby is doing it on his lonesome. The threat of him alone alters people from taking wide open layups

hold this L
05-07-2024, 09:00 PM
You clearly didn’t see Wemby then and some very telling stats that back up his case. Multiple defenders on Minny are dawgs. Wemby is doing it on his lonesome. The threat of him alone alters people from taking wide open layups

Minny had no culture of defense until Rudy got there. It's also much easier to make a more noticeable impact on one of the worst teams in the league compared to it showing on one of the best. Wemby has no case for DPOTY. You put Rudy in that garbage Spurs team and they have a significantly better defense out there.

hold this L
05-07-2024, 09:02 PM
No?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1bs2fv3/the_spurs_defensive_ranking_with_wembanyama_on/

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/worst-team-defensive-rating-in-season-nba-history

Based on your own links, it disproves your statement. Worst defense ever to good. 117.2 is 24th in the league. Maybe good means something different where you live. :lol

RRR3
05-07-2024, 09:05 PM
Based on your own links, it disproves your statement. Worst defense ever to good. 117.2 is 24th in the league. Maybe good means something different where you live. :lol
Considering the Spurs sesason DRTG was 116.4, that must be a typo.

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2024, 09:16 PM
Minny had no culture of defense until Rudy got there. It's also much easier to make a more noticeable impact on one of the worst teams in the league compared to it showing on one of the best. Wemby has no case for DPOTY. You put Rudy in that garbage Spurs team and they have a significantly better defense out there.
Based on what we saw in Utah probably a much more competitve team

hold this L
05-07-2024, 09:19 PM
Considering the Spurs sesason DRTG was 116.4, that must be a typo.

I'm just basing it off the link you posted, I have no idea what's what.

RRR3
05-07-2024, 09:24 PM
EPM says Wemby is a better defender :confusedshrug:

Only Xiao thinks the Toods has more impact than Wemby. You probably didn't actually follow the Spurs but Popovich was actively sabotaging Wemby most of the year (playing a power forward at point guard, playing another center alongside him, benching their best guards). It's a miracle they won 22 games.

j3lademaster
05-07-2024, 09:41 PM

Only Xiao thinks the Toods has more impact than Wemby. You probably didn't actually follow the Spurs but Popovich was actively sabotaging Wemby most of the year (playing a power forward at point guard, playing another center alongside him, benching their best guards). It's a miracle they won 22 games.I don’t catch a ton of reg season these days. Is Pop experimenting, trying to tank or just senile now?

j3lademaster
05-07-2024, 09:42 PM
StatMuse: Rudy Gobert has more DPOY awards than Draymond Green Tim Duncan Kevin Garnett Giannis Antetokounmpo LeBron James Anthony Davis combined. pic.twitter.com/FoKetDTMog – via Twitter statmuseDuncan having never won dpoy is a travesty.

RRR3
05-07-2024, 09:49 PM
I don’t catch a ton of reg season these days. Is Pop experimenting, trying to tank or just senile now?
There was no reason to tank so I'm guessing senile or just trying too hard to look smart by experimenting. They were very poorly coached this year. They could have easily won like 35 games.

Im Still Ballin
05-08-2024, 02:55 AM

Only Xiao thinks the Toods has more impact than Wemby. You probably didn't actually follow the Spurs but Popovich was actively sabotaging Wemby most of the year (playing a power forward at point guard, playing another center alongside him, benching their best guards). It's a miracle they won 22 games.

Wemby was higher on EPM but DRIP, DARKO, and LEBRON had Rudy higher I believe.

D-DRIP: Rudy +3.3 (1st) (2587 minutes played); Wemby +2.7 (2nd) (2101 minutes played)
D-LEBRON: +3.28 (1st) (1555 minutes played); Wemby +2.5 (3rd) (1201 minutes played)

I'm not sure if EPM adjusts for garbage time. That might be why the results across one-number metrics are different. Not to mention Rudy played significantly more minutes.

DPOY isn't about who the best defender is; rather, it's who's the most valuable. It's an accumulative thing, not a rate/per-game award. How many games and minutes you play is part of it. And I don't just mean that in order to qualify (65-game requirement).

Even with EPM we can look at defensive estimated wins by dividing D-EPM by total EPM and then multiplying it with EW (estimated wins.)

Wemby 2024 Defensive Estimated Wins: 7.71 D-EW
Rudy 2024 Defensive Estimated Wins: 8.38 D-EW

And that about lines up with how I feel about the DPOY result. If Wemby didn't have that slow start playing PF for the first quarter of the season he probably would've won. Another 10 games maintaining his play and I would've had him as my DPOY.

Manny98
05-08-2024, 03:19 AM
StatMuse: Rudy Gobert has more DPOY awards than Draymond Green Tim Duncan Kevin Garnett Giannis Antetokounmpo LeBron James Anthony Davis combined. pic.twitter.com/FoKetDTMog – via Twitter statmuse
:bowdown:

ImKobe
05-08-2024, 04:21 AM
lmao why would they have better defenders now?

MVP is a regular season award dumbass.

You thinking thats the same rebuttal shows your tiny IQ.

So is DPOY?

Playoffs have nothing to do with a RS award.

hold this L
05-08-2024, 08:37 AM

Even if what you say is true, that doesn't mean Wemby is better if the coach did his job. We can only base things of what happened. He will have his shot next season, likely to be much easier since voters are less likely to make Rudy the player with the most DPOTY in NBA history, esp after he just won another one.

SATAN
05-08-2024, 09:40 AM
Manny98 is 100% gonna be front running with the Timberwolves next season...

Hey Yo
05-08-2024, 10:03 AM
No?

Comparing full 48min games to maybe 15-20mins off the court for Wemby?? If he missed a full season and you provided those links showing that, you'd have a point... :lol:

maybe next time, kid.

ShawkFactory
05-08-2024, 10:19 AM
There was no reason to tank so I'm guessing senile or just trying too hard to look smart by experimenting. They were very poorly coached this year. They could have easily won like 35 games.

Huh? Sure there was.

I don't know Pops thoughts of course, but putting Wemby out there in weird situations and letting him learn quickly, while also losing games and getting another high pick seems like it would be the perfect scenario for this season.

What would 30-35 wins have gotten them?

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2024, 11:40 AM
:bowdown:
Could add Boozer, Capela and deandre to that list too :roll:

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2024, 11:41 AM
Jon Krawczynski: Rudy Gobert is speaking about how far things have come for him and where he fits in the larger NBA landscape with 4 DPOYs: “More importantly, I’ve found a home” in Minnesota – via Twitter JonKrawczynski

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2024, 11:42 AM
https://twitter.com/ChrisLongKSTP/status/1788219639790489627

beasted
05-08-2024, 07:39 PM
No Rudy deserves DPOY he anchored the best defense in the league, yes the Wolves are a tough defense with or without Rudy but that shouldn't take away from his impact on that end

I'm hopeful that one day bias towards wins (team accomplishment) will stop so that individuals who did everything within their own control can be better recognized.

I'm fine with Gobert winning this year, but I'm speaking in general and for all awards.

Im Still Ballin
05-09-2024, 02:51 AM
Comparing full 48min games to maybe 15-20mins off the court for Wemby?? If he missed a full season and you provided those links showing that, you'd have a point... :lol:

maybe next time, kid.

Yeah, I find it funny when people do that. Even on ESPN shows and NBA on TNT they've done that. It's how they frame it that bothers me. They should be saying "when Victor is on the court, the Spurs perform like the fourth-ranked defense." Or "When he's on the court, San Antonio's defensive rating is comparable to the fourth-ranked defense.

But what they say instead is "When Wemby's on the court The Spurs are the fourth-ranked defense," which is not true, completely different, and intellectually dishonest.

GimmeThat
05-09-2024, 03:17 AM
Gobert represents the reliance on physical cash in order to keep the economy flowing, Wemby represents crypto/bitcoin. which both, one way or another gets transfered into the energy of fire per breast agreement.

credit cards, being credit card users, consistently max them out over a very short period of time since this is the "playoff"

and with Green gone, you know that loans are more or less paid off, the way University hands out tenure.

Xiao Yao You
05-09-2024, 05:47 PM
NBA on ESPN: “I think I’m the best defender in the NBA besides Rudy [Gobert].” 💪 @malika_andrews talks with Jaden McDaniels on his mentality and where he ranks himself among the league’s best defenders 🔐 pic.twitter.com/kBpFS0dJ5p