PDA

View Full Version : Would the Twolves be the most underestimated Championship team ever?

Duderonomy
05-07-2024, 02:23 PM
Nobody was picking them to do anything coming into the season, 5th seed at best. They still could lose to Boston but this could be a 1994 Rockets, 2004 Pistons, 2015 Warriors type run.

warriorfan
05-07-2024, 02:27 PM
Hmmm off top of my head even without examples i would say no maybe?

Everyone knew they put together a dangerous team they just had some shit they needed to figure out and Edwards needed to take another step

all season long they had a historically good defense, then when rudy got over his injury early and was slated to come back in time for playoffs….I think plenty of people knew they could be a problem.

NBAGOAT
05-07-2024, 06:11 PM
The warriors in 15 were a sleeper. Based on how Minnesota finished last year lotta people thought they could be good. I didn’t think they be this good but I saw a top 4 seed from them

Xiao Yao You
05-07-2024, 06:16 PM
I expected it last season so not shocking

Duderonomy
05-07-2024, 06:43 PM
The warriors in 15 were a sleeper. Based on how Minnesota finished last year lotta people thought they could be good. I didn’t think they be this good but I saw a top 4 seed from them

Sports Illustrated predictied they would be the 9th seed. :facepalm

I know alot if people thought the Suns would beat them as well.

SATAN
05-07-2024, 07:08 PM
It wasn't exactly hard to see this team coming together tbh.

They look good but Denver also look a bit "meh".

BarberSchool
05-07-2024, 07:33 PM
1994-1995 Rockets wouldn’t have ever happened if Mike hadn’t gambled on the finals and gotten his pops killed.

If Kenny never sat the bench on those teams, we probably wouldn’t have to suffer thru his annoying lying knock-kneed bullsh!t phony personality to this day.

My answer is yes.
ANT come along way, QUICK. and Tim Connelly looks like a two time genius, taking apart his own previous machinations with his new toy.

Kblaze8855
05-07-2024, 07:59 PM
I doubt you could find a single person in 2010 saying Dallas would win in 2011. I’m sure someone can find the Vegas odds not that it’s an Entirely accurate judgment, basketball wise.

Duffy Pratt
05-07-2024, 11:22 PM
1994-1995 Rockets wouldn’t have ever happened if Mike hadn’t gambled on the finals and gotten his pops killed.

If Kenny never sat the bench on those teams, we probably wouldn’t have to suffer thru his annoying lying knock-kneed bullsh!t phony personality to this day.

My answer is yes.
ANT come along way, QUICK. and Tim Connelly looks like a two time genius, taking apart his own previous machinations with his new toy.

Smith started for the first Rocket run.

tontoz
05-08-2024, 11:30 AM
Minny finished one game out of first place in the stacked west. They had the 4th best record in the league. They gave Denver a hard time in the first round last year without 2 of their top 6 players.

Lets not get carried away with the underdog narrative.

WhiteKyrie
05-08-2024, 11:54 AM
They would definitely easily be the most likable if they didn’t have Rudy Gobert on their team

Lmao at acting like Jordan wouldn’t have the ability to pay off gambling debts to believe just a dumb theory

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2024, 12:07 PM
They would definitely easily be the most likable if they didn’t have Rudy Gobert on their team

Lmao at acting like Jordan wouldn’t have the ability to pay off gambling debts to believe just a dumb theory

Yeah sucks to have a guy on their team doing all the dirty work no one else wants to do :facepalm

SouBeachTalents
05-08-2024, 12:08 PM
Yeah sucks to have a guy on their team doing all the dirty work no one else wants to do :facepalm
The crazy thing is they might not even need the guy, they just DESTROYED the Nuggets holding them to 80 points without him.

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2024, 12:16 PM
The crazy thing is they might not even need the guy, they just DESTROYED the Nuggets holding them to 80 points without him.
They were out rebounded. Good luck!

Duffy Pratt
05-08-2024, 01:55 PM
77 Trailblazers had a losing record in 76. Their title run included beating three teams that were favored against them, including the Sixers who were heavily favored.

WhiteKyrie
05-08-2024, 02:21 PM

What are you talking about? They collectively play great defense and they have multiple really good to great perimeter defenders which is far more important than rim defense. In today’s NBA. That’s why they just had their best defense outing while Rudy Tootie had to go watch a baby come out of his wife’s ******, because why? As if he couldn’t fly there before after the game?

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2024, 02:37 PM
What are you talking about? They collectively play great defense and they have multiple really good to great perimeter defenders which is far more important than rim defense. In today’s NBA. That’s why they just had their best defense outing while Rudy Tootie had to go watch a baby come out of his wife’s ******, because why? As if he couldn’t fly there before after the game?

The team attempted to find a way to have Gobert return in time for the game at Ball Arena, but those efforts were unsuccessful given the timing and heavy winds that caused flight delays in Denver.

ShawkFactory
05-08-2024, 02:55 PM

What a wild comment :lol

Outside of KAT the Wolves are a team FULL of dawgs ready to get their hands dirty. Edwards, NAW, McDaniels, Naz...all go all out the whole time.

Wardell Curry
05-08-2024, 04:33 PM

You think Hakeem didn't win >50% of games against Jordan and you think Jordan wasn't scared of Hakeem? Ha.

The Bulls had no answer for Hakeem.

Wardell Curry
05-08-2024, 04:36 PM
Hakeem owned the Bulls until Rodman got added.

tontoz
05-08-2024, 04:39 PM
You think Hakeem didn't win >50% of games against Jordan and you think Jordan wasn't scared of Hakeem? Ha.

The Bulls had no answer for Hakeem.

That's true. MJ said himself he was glad Houston was in the west because the Bulls couldn't handle Hakeem.

Im Still Ballin
05-08-2024, 05:44 PM
Houston had The Wood over Chicago in the regular seeze but Mike would've got it done methinks. That trademark patented ball pressure and turnover game would've sham-wow'd Hakeem like the SuperSonics often did.

ralph_i_el
05-08-2024, 05:50 PM
They had the same Vegas win total line as OKC when the season started. I think either of them would be a similarly surprising champion.

ralph_i_el
05-08-2024, 05:53 PM
I doubt you could find a single person in 2010 saying Dallas would win in 2011. I’m sure someone can find the Vegas odds not that it’s an Entirely accurate judgment, basketball wise.

Jason Terry got a tattoo of the championship trophy before that season started :lol so at least one guy believed.

ralph_i_el
05-08-2024, 05:54 PM

This isn't Utah where he's cover for a bunch of offense-only guys. The Wolves have a ton of physical defenders.

Xiao Yao You
05-08-2024, 06:34 PM
This isn't Utah where he's cover for a bunch of offense-only guys. The Wolves have a ton of physical defenders.

Everyone has bought in led by the best of his generation

GimmeThat
05-09-2024, 03:04 AM
the 19 Rapters were more underestimated I'd say. they won because they simply had enough talent to move Ibaka to the bench.

so the assumption here is that the Wolves will have enough bench scoring to cover up Gobert's deficiency, but that's a lot of iso ball, and a lot of reliance on Edwards defense who's only given you 11 steals and 5 blocks in 6 games this entire playoff.

so if Gobert ends up averaging 20 rebounds a game, I'd say they are more playoff tested than underestimated.

Nowoco
05-09-2024, 04:20 AM
If the Wolves get it done then we've had three new NBA champions in 5 years. Raptors, Nuggets and Wolves. This must drive the Suns crazy. Not least because they were 2-0 up in the finals 3 years ago and choked it away.

FireDavidKahn
05-09-2024, 06:28 PM
We were literally the underdogs as recently as the 1st round.

Before the series opened everyone had the Suns winning (even Vegas!)

:roll:

L.Kizzle
05-09-2024, 07:29 PM
79 Sonics is the only answer. I've seen teams like the 15 Warriors and 94 Rockets which featured the league MVP.

coin24
05-09-2024, 08:37 PM
Pretty much everyone had them as first round fodder this year..

Ant has taken an insane leap and the team is well built. No one had them beating Denver either

Best move they made was getting Conley over Dslow.. lolkers:lol:facepalm

bizil
05-09-2024, 10:23 PM
To be honest NOT REALLY for those who know the game. When Gobert joined the Wolves, I KNEW he and KAT in a Twin Towers lineup had a TON OF POTENTIAL. Offensively it wouldn't be a problem due to KAT's scoring skillset. At the 5, he was the best shooting center of all time in opinion. At the 4, he only takes a backseat to Dirk when it comes to shooting. BUT in terms of TOTAL SCORING SKILLET, you could argue he's #1 of all time at the PF or C spot! Defense shit with those two was the question. BUT when you have elite defensive players around those two ALONG with the paint protection Gobert provides, the defensive issues were highly overrated as we see. SOME THINGS take time to develop.

And ON TOP OF IT ALL you got Ant who is the best SG on the planet!! It was only a matter of time he was gonna take that mantle. I'm NOT SAYING he's on the level of player that MJ, Kobe, and Wade are yet. BUT he's from that cloth in terms of having the ULTIMATE BLEND of scoring, all around ability two way wise, positional versatility for his size, and freak athletic ability. The SG's of recent years like Book, Mitchell, Klay, Harden when he was running the 2, Kyrie when he runs the 2, Beal, Jaylen Brown, etc. WEREN'T combining these elements the way Ant is. Jaylen Brown was the closest. BUT he doesn't combine all those elements the way Ant does.

And you have a SICK ARRAY of role players who are very versatile and skilled in their own right. It is the PERFECT TEAM in terms of checking hella boxes in today's NBA. OKC ALSO has a similar built team in their own way. And the fact that KAT is OK with being the #2 scoring option when he has THE POTENTIAL to win a scoring title at some point is huge for the Wolves. The GM did a HELL OF A JOB building this roster!!

Jasper
05-10-2024, 09:49 AM
they r beatable

GimmeThat
05-10-2024, 10:05 AM
the difference between the Nugget and the Wolves, is that the Wolves bench relies on KAT being able to hit 3s, if KAT can't hit them, Ant is back to MJ without Pippen mode. whereas the Nuggets bench relies on Murray being able to get the ball to where his teammates likes em, when he doesn't, there's not enough room for cutters to operate.