PDA

View Full Version : Is Tatum injured? Why else is he shooting 41% from the field?

90sgoat
05-13-2024, 01:00 PM
Seems like Tatum hasn't adjusted well to physicality.

27% from 3, yikes!

That's Luka Doncic bad.

Im Still Ballin
05-13-2024, 01:08 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/037/458/coverpal.jpg

90sgoat
05-13-2024, 01:12 PM
:roll:

GimmeThat
05-13-2024, 01:14 PM
probably just needs to sleep in, his mind been running all basketball plays causing practices to be a factor of fatigue

j3lademaster
05-13-2024, 01:15 PM
He’s just super inconsistent. He’s due for a big game though.

PeroAntic
05-13-2024, 08:00 PM
Hes always been a bit overrated.

j3lademaster
05-13-2024, 10:25 PM
Hes always been a bit overrated.I’m starting to think that. I even contended with Elementally Morale about his superstar status during the regular season only to be proven wrong in the playoffs. I still think he’s on that borderline of very good all star and superstar depending on criteria, but he’s been disappointing. There are a handful of players who can look like bitw on any given night, but its consistency that cements superstardom.

90sgoat
05-13-2024, 10:45 PM
Does Tatum have a floater?

My biggest complaint about Tatum is probably that he seems very robotic. He has to be setup at the 3 point line or in the post and work his shot. Can't just make a move and hit the midrange or the floater.

red1
05-14-2024, 12:24 AM
he's inefficient

him and jb

biggest achilles heel for the celt's title hopes

FultzNationRISE
05-14-2024, 01:20 AM
he's inefficient

him and jb

biggest achilles heel for the celt's title hopes

Brown's been solid these playoffs overall. Tatum's trying way too hard to be a guy they dont need him to be. They'd literally be better off with him just playing 3&D, because he is a very good defender and a good spot up shooter. But the media and the sponsors have been hyping him up for years to be a guy who "takes over" and he's trying to live up to it. It's fine in the regular season when there's no pressure and a single game doesnt matter if you drop a dud. But in the playoffs he's not that guy and I said it much earlier in the season, if he tries to be during the wrong playoff series it could cost them in the end.

If you really believe in yourself as that guy, just play for the team and the moment will eventually find you. He's trying to force himself into the moment, and it's cringe.

BarberSchool
05-14-2024, 02:31 AM
Yes, left ankle.

Almost every team remaining, has stars/rotation players that are playing injured or playing thru nagging previous injuries.

It’s one of the biggest downsides, to having such a pronounced difference in officiating.

BarberSchool
05-14-2024, 02:34 AM
Brown's been solid these playoffs overall. Tatum's trying way too hard to be a guy they dont need him to be. They'd literally be better off with him just playing 3&D, because he is a very good defender and a good spot up shooter. But the media and the sponsors have been hyping him up for years to be a guy who "takes over" and he's trying to live up to it. It's fine in the regular season when there's no pressure and a single game doesnt matter if you drop a dud. But in the playoffs he's not that guy and I said it much earlier in the season, if he tries to be during the wrong playoff series it could cost them in the end.

If you really believe in yourself as that guy, just play for the team and the moment will eventually find you. He's trying to force himself into the moment, and it's cringe.Agreed.

Tatum is a like a perfect basketball robot. But he ain’t a fiercely competitive, keenly creative, savvy, sharp first team all-nba dude. He’s a statistically inflated, 3rd team all-NBA dude, who still has too predictable and uncreative game to ever be the reliable first option on a multiple championship type squad.

Jalen Brown is closer to “that guy” that Tatum is, despite Tatum being “the better player”.

red1
05-14-2024, 06:14 AM

If you really believe in yourself as that guy, just play for the team and the moment will eventually find you. He's trying to force himself into the moment, and it's cringe.

agreed that tatum forces it

celtics only test will be the finals when they run into the nuggets. I dont think the knicks or pacers are ready to really test them

we're going to see tatum AND brown chucking it again. mark my words. it will be an easier series for the nuggets than what they're facing right now.

ImKobe
05-14-2024, 08:44 AM
He's been an inconsistent Playoff performer for most of his career. Heavily reliant on his 3s. He's due for a good streak I'm sure but it's why I've never been that high on him personally.

Wally450
05-14-2024, 09:35 AM
He's doing everything else well. Rebounding well, playmaking, defense. His numbers usually dip come playoff time, but his ability to step up in other areas really helps this team play at a top level.

Manny98
05-14-2024, 10:54 AM
They're are two types of players

guys that elevate their games in the postseason, LeBron, Mitchell, Kyrie, Murray, ect

Then they're the guys that aren't built for the more physical higher intensity of the playoffs Embiid, Harden, PG, CP0 ect

Tatum falls into the second category

AirBonner
05-14-2024, 03:02 PM
They're are two types of players

guys that elevate their games in the postseason, LeBron, Mitchell, Kyrie, Murray, ect

Then they're the guys that aren't built for the more physical higher intensity of the playoffs Embiid, Harden, PG, CP0 ect

Tatum falls into the second category
Then there are players who can’t make the finals without LeBron: Kyrie

rawimpact
05-14-2024, 03:19 PM
Playoff celtics... they are so inconsistent.

IF they dont win it this year there is no hope.

AirBonner
05-14-2024, 03:24 PM

I’d say they are doing alright without their star center and playing 40 year old Horford 40 min a game

ImKobe
05-14-2024, 03:31 PM

Insanely consistent at winning on the road but can't get it done at home, been a theme the past 4 or so years.

Real Men Wear Green
05-14-2024, 03:34 PM
The guy with the most career postseason points of anyone still in the playoffs is inconsistent. The only team with a lead in their current playoff series is inconsistent. The team with the best record in the league is inconsistent.

Well, ok, but then who is consistent?

"Cavs in 7."

elementally morale
05-14-2024, 03:52 PM
I’m starting to think that. I even contended with Elementally Morale about his superstar status during the regular season only to be proven wrong in the playoffs. I still think he’s on that borderline of very good all star and superstar depending on criteria, but he’s been disappointing. There are a handful of players who can look like bitw on any given night, but its consistency that cements superstardom.

I think the discussion was about Sabonis and why I'd take him on my team instead of Tatum. My main argument was that Sabonis comes to play every night. You can count on him being him. It's very rare he has a super game and it's very rare he has a really bad game. With Tatum you never know. Another thing I had in mind is Tatum is rarely the guy to step up when it's tough. He can take over but most of the time it's in situations when it's not really needed. When the Celtics are down or need a huge bucket in the crunch I usually don't see Tatum coming to the rescue. As I said in that thread (as much as I can remember) he is a bit like Anthony Davis in this regard. Very good players, can go off any night. But if it gets tough they can check put. I don't really dislike Tatum though. He is just someone I find hard to really want to see succeed. Not electrifying enough.

Real Men Wear Green
05-14-2024, 04:26 PM
The Celtics win 64 games and averaged over 10 more points than their opponents. They had more games where they won by thirty than trailed by 10. It didn't get tough for him to be doing anything when it got tough. Whatever Sabonis does when it gets tough apparently wasn't enough this season.

elementally morale
05-14-2024, 04:35 PM
The Celtics win 64 games and averaged over 10 more points than their opponents. They had more games where they won by thirty than trailed by 10. It didn't get tough for him to be doing anything when it got tough. Whatever Sabonis does when it gets tough apparently wasn't enough this season.

It wasn't. But Sabonis is a guy nobody is expecting to win the game. He is a workhorse. Nothing spectacular. I'd select him over Tatum because of this. You get what you were looking for if you have Sabonis. He will play every night and will deliver a near triple double. Tatum can play much better than Sabonis can, but you never know when. And he is supposed to be 'the star'. You don't expect Sabonis win you the game. When it happens, it's a plus. But you expect him to anchor the team and keep you in the game. And he does that way more often than not. BTW, the discussion was about Tatum being a top5 player or not, and I argued he wasn't. I don't see him as a top 5 player, more like a borderline top 10 player. I really would select Sabonis over him. Maybe a little bit below Tatum but very reliable.

Real Men Wear Green
05-14-2024, 05:48 PM
The idea that Tatum is unreliable is ridiculous. The entire season he had 10 games under 20 points. You say he can't be counted in when he has the NBA record for points in a game 7 and the NBA record for points in a play-in game. There is no player currently in the playoffs that has more points in the postseason.

elementally morale
05-14-2024, 06:09 PM
The idea that Tatum is unreliable is ridiculous. The entire season he had 10 games under 20 points. You say he can't be counted in when he has the NBA record for points in a game 7 and the NBA record for points in a play-in game. There is no player currently in the playoffs that has more points in the postseason.

I don't watch the Celtics often because I find them to be very good and quite boring at the same time. So I'm no expert on Tatum. I remember him from past playoffs and the occasional game here and there. So I won't go extreme lengths to either attack or defend him. I guess it will come down to the Celtics winning it all this year or not. If they do, that does the defending. I'm not one of the posters who argue Ingram as being his equal or better than him. I'm just not overwhelmed seeing Tatum play. Has he become the player you envisioned him to be 3-4 years ago?

Real Men Wear Green
05-14-2024, 06:12 PM
I thought he would be an allstar 2/3. I didn't expect him to be able to play 4 but he changed a bit physically.

rawimpact
05-15-2024, 03:35 PM
Jayson Tatum

2023:Game 7 last year against MIA facing elimination, 14 pts on 39%fg , made a whole 5 shots
2022: Game 6 facing GSW facing elimination, 13 pts, made 6 shots (33% fg) -- he also had a 3 for 17 (17%) game 1 performance in the finals, finishing with 12pts -- historically bad
2021 Game 5 facing elimination against MIA he shot 12 for 27 44% with 32pts, not bad.... but in that series he had game 1 22pts shooting 30%, game 2 9 pts shooting 25%. His game 3 and 4 admittedly were amazing.
2020 Game 6 facing elimination against the nets 24 pts on 35%fg.... previous game 5 he went 8 for 22 (36% fg)
2019 Game 5 facing elimination against the bucks 14 pts 3 for 10 (30%)

Yeah.. pretty bad. Consistency is his biggest problem... I just chose elimination games because those are games I am watching.

Real Men Wear Green
05-15-2024, 04:09 PM
Jayson Tatum

2023:Game 7 last year against MIA facing elimination, 14 pts on 39%fg , made a whole 5 shots
2022: Game 6 facing GSW facing elimination, 13 pts, made 6 shots (33% fg) -- he also had a 3 for 17 (17%) game 1 performance in the finals, finishing with 12pts -- historically bad
2021 Game 5 facing elimination against MIA he shot 12 for 27 44% with 32pts, not bad.... but in that series he had game 1 22pts shooting 30%, game 2 9 pts shooting 25%. His game 3 and 4 admittedly were amazing.
2020 Game 6 facing elimination against the nets 24 pts on 35%fg.... previous game 5 he went 8 for 22 (36% fg)
2019 Game 5 facing elimination against the bucks 14 pts 3 for 10 (30%)

Yeah.. pretty bad. Consistency is his biggest problem... I just chose elimination games because those are games I am watching.
Anyone will be "pretty bad" if they have some hater search through their whole postseason career to highlight negatives. Don't see you mentioning him scoring 50 in a game 7 or the fact that only 2 players have had more postseasonm points before the age of 27. How many guys have been the top scorer on 4 conference finals teams by the time they were 25? I would like to see who's on that list.