PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider an elite 3 level scorer?

j3lademaster
05-17-2024, 02:08 PM
It seems to me that with the influx of the 3 point shot there came the 3 pointer or layup minded basketball, but it seems like we’re seeing stars make the middie a staple of their scoring again. Durant is unquestionably an elite 3 level scorer, he might be the poster child for the trope.

What is the minimum cutoff that makes you say :”wow that’s an elite 3 level scorer”?

Give me player examples, shooting %ages, what have who.

SouBeachTalents
05-17-2024, 02:17 PM
Dirk, Bird, Kawhi, I'd add Jokic even if his 3 point % isn't quite "elite".

Charlie Sheen
05-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Embiid

Can kill you face up or back to the basket
Touch from three
Feels like he is automatic from ft line extended

warriorfan
05-17-2024, 02:32 PM
https://www.nba.com/stats/leaders?SeasonType=Regular+Season

Everyone in the top 15 except giannis and AD

Mask the Embiid
05-17-2024, 02:35 PM
Embiid

Can kill you face up or back to the basket
Touch from three
Feels like he is automatic from ft line extended

yeah he knows the answer....OP just didnt want to say the name....3 way scorer....3 way defender.....the total package....

but anywho, i posted just to say. KEVIN DURANT IS NOT A 3 way scorer....He is not elite at shooting 3's....just because you can hit a spot op 3 doesn't make you elite....him and devin booker are elite 2 way scorers.....They dont generate 3's off the dribble nearly as much as yall imagine.... They are primarily mid range shooters.....The way they play is actually out of date.... You got to generate 3's in 2024....or you will always get outscored. its 2024 not 2014. and the way those 2 play is outdated

give me tatum over either one anyday of the week....and i dont even like tatum but at least his offense keeps up with the times

Im Still Ballin
05-17-2024, 02:38 PM
Someone who's in the above-average percentiles for scoring at all three levels. Mainly off-the-dribble shooting but I suppose spot-up/catch-and-shoot/movement shooting as well. And also post-up play.

You could argue it should really be four levels: rim, paint-extended, mid-range, three-point. The distances would be like 0-4 feet (rim), 4-10 feet (paint-extended), 10 feet-3PT line (mid-range), 3PT line+ (three-point). You need that floater/push shot/hook shot game between the rim and the mid-range.

Jokic's inside the arc three-level game is GOATed.

j3lademaster
05-17-2024, 02:49 PM
Nah, I don’t care about seeing Embiid’s name. My criticisms of him are that he’s soft in the postseason, he’s dirty, flops a lot and is a terrible leader. None of which are hot or even lukewarm takes. I’ve never questioned his talent or skill. He’s had seasons shooting 37% from 3 while being the main scoring option, I definitely have him down as an elite 3 level guy.

And calling saying Durant is not a 3 level scorer while Embiid is is delusional. If Durant’s not a 3 level scorer, no one is.

tpols
05-17-2024, 03:04 PM
Kyrie Irving is probably the best current example of a 3 level scorer in the NBA.

WhiteKyrie
05-17-2024, 04:12 PM
Kyrie and AE.

StrongLurk
05-17-2024, 04:49 PM
The problem with the perception of 3-level scorers is that people really just mean who is a good midrange scorer. People just assume a guy like Carmelo was elite at threes and elite at finishing at the rim, which is actually not true.

Elite 3 level scorers off the top of my head are guys like Kyrie, KD, Steph.

j3lademaster
05-17-2024, 05:21 PM
The problem with the perception of 3-level scorers is that people really just mean who is a good midrange scorer. People just assume a guy like Carmelo was elite at threes and elite at finishing at the rim, which is actually not true.

Elite 3 level scorers off the top of my head are guys like Kyrie, KD, Steph.It just comes down to criteria. Two people can have the same opinion of, say, Jayson Tatum and him top 10; but one guy only considers top 5 as his arbitrary superstar list while the other considers top 10 to be superstar. One calls him a superstar while the other doesn't despite having the exact same opinion of Tatum as a player. This is why I wanted to know the bare minimum of who people will consider 3 level scorers, not Kyries, KD's and Curry's(who are the obvious no brainer choices).

imdaman99
05-18-2024, 01:31 AM
If y'all are mentioning Kyrie, than Brunson has to be there as well. His postgame is amazing as well.

NBAGOAT
05-18-2024, 01:57 AM
Lowkey markkanen

Manny98
05-18-2024, 02:10 AM
Kyrie Irving is probably the best current example of a 3 level scorer in the NBA.

This

ImKobe
05-18-2024, 05:38 AM
Kyrie, Luka, KD, Booker, Kawhi, Brunson, Mitchell, Embiid

Charlie Sheen
05-18-2024, 03:00 PM
And calling saying Durant is not a 3 level scorer while Embiid is is delusional. If DurantÂ’s not a 3 level scorer, no one is.

No it is not delusional. I agree with his point... Joel is the evolution of Durant. He can handle with even greater length and size. KD does not have that comparable advantage over him. If Durant could operate with his back to the basket, the Suns would have been a better team this season.

Durant might be a better 3 level guy under optimal conditions but Joel will remain elite in any environment.

StrongLurk
05-19-2024, 05:35 PM
No it is not delusional. I agree with his point... Joel is the evolution of Durant. He can handle with even greater length and size. KD does not have that comparable advantage over him. If Durant could operate with his back to the basket, the Suns would have been a better team this season.

Durant might be a better 3 level guy under optimal conditions but Joel will remain elite in any environment.

Except for the playoff environment. You know, the environment that matters?