PDA

View Full Version : Is Vince Carter The Reason Why The Toronto Raptors Never Left Town??? Let Me Know.

LakerRaider
09-08-2007, 05:19 PM
The Toronto Raptors have flourished into a decent team with nice management. They've become not only a local product but a worldwide product as well hiring foreign personnel in management and drafting international players.

Vince Carter was Canada. He was dubbed as Air Canada putting the Toronto Raptors on the map. He probably generated millions of dollars for the Toronto Raptors organization and put Toronto on the map.

Had it not been for Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady of course, would the Toronto Raptors still be in the National Basketball Association today??? You never know.

If Vince Carter was with the Vancouver Grizzlies, would the Vancouver Grizzlies have folded like they did??? Just wondering.

clipps
09-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I agree. Vince Carter did a lot for that franchise, yet blind Raptors fans still show hatred.

AI Nuggets3
09-08-2007, 05:45 PM
he definitely put them on the map. not sure if he "saved" the franchise but in 2001 he brought Toronto to the masses.

we all remember how it ended ugly, but those fans should respect him. i didnt think it was right to give away his #15 like that, and im not a VC fan at all. he gave them 5 years or so of being Canada's biggest basketball star.

but i guess he's gotten his revenge on Toronto a few times now :oldlol:

bballnoob
09-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Definatly put them on the map. As far as keeping them there, probably not. Toronto isn't Vancouver. As far as the hate thing I agree. Especially since the sports media round here are filled with idiots, all we hear is the bad things about Carter. Even during Raptor broadcasts, it takes away from a good NJ/TOR game when Leo Rautins won't stop taking cheap shots at Vince.

brwnman
09-08-2007, 05:58 PM
I agree. Vince Carter did a lot for that franchise, yet blind Raptors fans still show hatred.

it is not blind for anybody to show hatred towards a player who sells away victories...

Is Vince Carter The Reason Why The Toronto Raptors Never Left Town???
nope...

Fact: Raptors would still be in the NBA even if Carter and McGrady weren't there (only because someone else would be taking their place)...

Sham
09-08-2007, 06:00 PM
3rd largest metro population in North America. Flourishing economy. Millions of dollars in corporate sponsors. Diehard fans.

Whether Vince Carter was a Raptor or not, the Raptors would have stayed in Toronto. Did he bring new fans to the team? Absolutely...no denying it. He isn't the reason that we have a team though. This comes up every single year.

I remember after he got traded, the amount of people that said Toronto would lose it's team in a few years. People that have been to or live in Toronto realize how dumb that sounds. It's a major urban market....

We need to get an NFL team here.

brwnman
09-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Definatly put them on the map. As far as keeping them there, probably not. Toronto isn't Vancouver. As far as the hate thing I agree. Especially since the sports media round here are filled with idiots, all we hear is the bad things about Carter. Even during Raptor broadcasts, it takes away from a good NJ/TOR game when Leo Rautins won't stop taking cheap shots at Vince.

I think they have every right to hate on Vince... a player gets paid to perform to the best of his abilities... he did not do that and admitted to it...

But I do agree with you that they sometimes take away from the game by focusing on Vince so much... plus, don't forget Chuck, who gets real lackadaisical when talking about Vince and his acrobatic plays and gets real horny when talking about pretty much any other player in the NBA...

brwnman
09-08-2007, 06:03 PM

it's gonna be real hard... NFL thrives on people tuning in on TV (in the U.S.)... having a team in Toronto would make them lose half their audience (as channel providers are separate from in the U.S. to Canada [and they work with different contracts])...

Sham
09-08-2007, 06:07 PM
it's gonna be real hard... NFL thrives on people tuning in on TV (in the U.S.)... having a team in Toronto would make them lose half their audience (as channel providers are separate from in the U.S. to Canada [and they work with different contracts])...

what do you mean by lose half their audience?

bjtrdff
09-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Toronto will almost certainly get an NFL team in the next few years for a ton of reasons.

The NFL makes their money from TV, and have been wanting to expand their schedule to have tv Thurs-Monday. If there's another expansion, Toronto and LA will be 2 of the likely 4 teams that the league would expand to. Calgary is also a good possibility too, given it's size and wealth.

ANd no, they wouldn't lose 'half their audience'. They would work out a separate Canadian tv deal with CTV (whih they already have a deal with) or TSN (ditto, and is owned 1/3rd by espn).

That's if Ted Rogers doesn't get the Bills first.

brwnman
09-08-2007, 06:17 PM
what do you mean by lose half their audience?

well, NFL has huge tv deals in place with CBS and Fox (both U.S. based stations)... a game between the Colts-Patriots would draw fans from both New England and Indianapolis (both in the U.S. - tv station getting high ratings!), but say if it was Toronto versus New England (tv station only gets ratings from New England)... Toronto doesn't have CBS and Fox (while we do get feeds - they aren't based in Canada - only the original tv station gets the ratings in exchange for some dollars with the original based tv station such as FOX and CBS)...

P.S. - I do know other people also tune in to watch Patriots and Colts besides just their fans...

brwnman
09-08-2007, 06:21 PM
ANd no, they wouldn't lose 'half their audience'. They would work out a separate Canadian tv deal with CTV (whih they already have a deal with) or TSN (ditto, and is owned 1/3rd by espn).

and what makes you think that CTV or TSN will be able to afford such large amount or dollars with a commitment from the station for atleast over 5 years (especially if the team doesn't win)? The risk here is enormous, as a commitment like this could easily lead a TV station in Canada towards bankruptcy...

Sham
09-08-2007, 06:25 PM
well, NFL has huge tv deals in place with CBS and Fox (both U.S. based stations)... a game between the Colts-Patriots would draw fans from both New England and Indianapolis (both in the U.S. - tv station getting high ratings!), but say if it was Toronto versus New England (tv station only gets ratings from New England)... Toronto doesn't have CBS and Fox (while we do get feeds - they aren't based in Canada - only the original tv station gets the ratings in exchange for some dollars with the original based tv station such as FOX and CBS)...

P.S. - I do know other people also tune in to watch Patriots and Colts besides just their fans...

Where are you getting this info from?

Doesn't the NFL have contracts with NBC and ESPN as well? I'm not buying that this is the main reason that Toronto isn't getting a team. It might play a factor, but the main reason? I don't think so.

brwnman
09-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Where are you getting this info from?

Doesn't the NFL have contracts with NBC and ESPN as well? I'm not buying that this is the main reason that Toronto isn't getting a team. It might play a factor, but the main reason? I don't think so.

I don't know much about the deal with NBC, but I believe they do have a deal in place with ESPN, which is really microscopic when compared to the deals in place with FOX and CBS i believe...

and I believe that is the main reason there is not a NFL team here in Toronto...

kwajo
09-08-2007, 06:45 PM
If Toronto gets and NFL team, I'm officially declaring the city part of the USA.

i seen hippos
09-08-2007, 06:46 PM
If Toronto gets and NFL team, I'm officially declaring the city part of the USA.

You say that like it's an insult.:oldlol:

kwajo
09-08-2007, 06:57 PM
It was intended to be an insult.

Sham
09-08-2007, 06:58 PM
kwaj make me a new avatar

i seen hippos
09-08-2007, 06:59 PM
It was intended to be an insult.

Dude, Ontario is Canada. Like a Newfie has any right making these comments.

kwajo
09-08-2007, 07:00 PM
kwaj make me a new avatar
What do you have in mind? Carlos Delfino giving Detroit-Windsor a Cleveland Steamer? Or maybe Kapono skull-****ing Pat Riley using hair gel as lube?

Sham
09-08-2007, 07:01 PM
What do you have in mind? Carlos Delfino giving Detroit-Windsor a Cleveland Steamer? Or maybe Kapono skull-****ing Pat Riley using hair gel as lube?

anything i dont care

kwajo
09-08-2007, 07:04 PM
I'll get to work, but it will take a couple days

Sham
09-08-2007, 07:06 PM
I'll get to work, but it will take a couple days

cool thanks

Mathius
09-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Why would Toronto get an NFL team? Ever hear of the CFL?

The NFL would be putting themselves right into conflict with them.

Mathius

JtotheIzzo
09-09-2007, 12:05 PM
If Toronto got an NFL team, the Bills would be falked. I read something like 15,000 Toronto people travel to Bills games, and the Bills existance in Buffalo is the main issue with Toronto getting a team.

DoubleTech
09-09-2007, 12:14 PM
If Toronto got an NFL team, the Bills would be falked. I read something like 15,000 Toronto people travel to Bills games, and the Bills existance in Buffalo is the main issue with Toronto getting a team.

bingo.

the bills can't support themselves without toronto fans driving down there to fill up almost a 3rd of the stadium (i think)

toronto is a city that could absolutely support an NFL team. sure there's the issue that our CFL team might struggle even MORE to attract fans... but with that much corporate $$$ on the table, toronto will eventually get a team. LA will get a 2nd team first though imo... then toronto. im hoping we don't have to start from scratch and some other team gets relocated up here.

RAPSCANWIN
09-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Toronto will almost certainly get an NFL team in the next few years for a ton of reasons.

The NFL makes their money from TV, and have been wanting to expand their schedule to have tv Thurs-Monday. If there's another expansion, Toronto and LA will be 2 of the likely 4 teams that the league would expand to. Calgary is also a good possibility too, given it's size and wealth.

That's if Ted Rogers doesn't get the Bills first.

You think Calgary could get a NFL franchise........ :roll:

Smoke another one.

Toronto is the only place in Canada that could get a franchise in the next 20 years.

Mathius
09-09-2007, 09:37 PM
bingo.

the bills can't support themselves without toronto fans driving down there to fill up almost a 3rd of the stadium (i think)

toronto is a city that could absolutely support an NFL team. sure there's the issue that our CFL team might struggle even MORE to attract fans... but with that much corporate $$$ on the table, toronto will eventually get a team. LA will get a 2nd team first though imo... then toronto. im hoping we don't have to start from scratch and some other team gets relocated up here.

I'm not actually talking about Toronto's ability to support two football teams, i.e. an NFL team, and the Argonauts.

If the NFL awarded a team to Toronto, the CFL could very well take that as a threat to their market share in Canada.

The NFL already has the benefit of the best college stars going there, while Canada usually gets either some Canadians, or some cast off college guys who weren't good enough for the NFL. Occasionally a big name college guy (remember "Rocket" Ismael?) will bolt to Canada, but for the most part, the NFL has the best players from the U.S. at least.

From the CFL stand point, if the NFL puts a team in Toronto what's to stop them from putting one in other Canadian cities that can support a team?

I'm not sure the NFL wants to open that can of worms. For what? They're already the biggest sport on the planet due to the lack of rivalries in the NBA, and the decline of baseball.

Mathius

Tips4
09-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Why would Toronto get an NFL team? Ever hear of the CFL?

The NFL would be putting themselves right into conflict with them.

Mathius

F*ck CFL, i am dead serious. I dont like watching pot heads and football rejects playing Pro Football. I wish we had an NFL team soo i can just go shirtless to the games when its freezing cold and ohh yea painted too.

johndough
09-10-2007, 09:37 AM
3rd largest metro population in North America. Flourishing economy. Millions of dollars in corporate sponsors. Diehard fans.

Whether Vince Carter was a Raptor or not, the Raptors would have stayed in Toronto. Did he bring new fans to the team? Absolutely...no denying it. He isn't the reason that we have a team though. This comes up every single year.

I remember after he got traded, the amount of people that said Toronto would lose it's team in a few years. People that have been to or live in Toronto realize how dumb that sounds. It's a major urban market....

Tell em.

johndough
09-10-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm not actually talking about Toronto's ability to support two football teams, i.e. an NFL team, and the Argonauts.

If the NFL awarded a team to Toronto, the CFL could very well take that as a threat to their market share in Canada.

The NFL already has the benefit of the best college stars going there, while Canada usually gets either some Canadians, or some cast off college guys who weren't good enough for the NFL. Occasionally a big name college guy (remember "Rocket" Ismael?) will bolt to Canada, but for the most part, the NFL has the best players from the U.S. at least.

From the CFL stand point, if the NFL puts a team in Toronto what's to stop them from putting one in other Canadian cities that can support a team?

I'm not sure the NFL wants to open that can of worms. For what? They're already the biggest sport on the planet due to the lack of rivalries in the NBA, and the decline of baseball.

Mathius

First off T.O is the only city in Canada that could support a NFL team, no question.That saidthe NFL would never put an NFL team in Canada in any of our lifetimes.

brwnman
09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
F*ck CFL, i am dead serious. I dont like watching pot heads and football rejects playing Pro Football. I wish we had an NFL team soo i can just go shirtless to the games when its freezing cold and ohh yea painted too.

CFL is actually pretty fun to watch... the games are real different... some NFL would have troubles playing in that type of game...

Make It Rain
09-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Why would we put any more sports teams in Canada? Why would we do that to our players? The NHL can put as many teams as they want up there, but hopefully the real sports will stick to the great USA.

brwnman
09-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Why would we put any more sports teams in Canada? Why would we do that to our players? The NHL can put as many teams as they want up there, but hopefully the real sports will stick to the great USA.

it's called business! the need/want for the means of making a profit...

i seen hippos
09-10-2007, 11:58 AM

You can have field lacross.:roll:

vinsane01
09-12-2007, 07:44 AM
who knows? maybe toronto, even without carter, will continue to be in the nba even though they suck or maybe that franchise will end up being sold. Or maybe , the losing record will work to their advantage. Losing records corresponds to higher chances for a no.1 lottery pick. Who knows? maybe they have Yao ming right now.

NBAplayoffs2001
05-16-2015, 01:54 PM
I remember being in the Toronto area in 2002 visiting a ton of cousins. EVERYONE I mean EVERYONE had some sort of Toronto Raptors apparel in their rooms. I saw at least 4 Carter jerseys in my cousins's rooms (about 10 or so people). He was my favorite player as a kid. Carter was so nasty in NBA Inside Drive 2000 :lol. I remember having him dunk over everyone and rain 3s like they were nothing.

Toronto is diehard about their basketball honestly. It's an underrated city too especially the GTA area close to it. In terms of like basketball talent, BC (Vancouver) and Ontario both have great up and coming players every few years.