PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden out for season after micro fracture surgery

loot
09-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Oden lost for season

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
September 13, 2007

Greg Oden , the Portland Trail Blazers' No. 1 pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, will miss the 2007-2008 season after knee surgery on Thursday, two league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Oden, the 7-footer out of Ohio State, underwent exploratory surgery on his right knee on Thursday in Vancouver. The extent of the damage was not immediately clear, but Oden, one of the most celebrated young players in years, will be lost for the season.

The Blazers are expected to make an announcement shortly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AszD7OjPQZwLP1d9X2Y.LuI5nYcB?slug=aw-oden091307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

MJ23
09-13-2007, 01:53 PM
ARE YOU F#CKING KIDDIN ME:lol:

CristianoVirtuos
09-13-2007, 01:54 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

More touches for LaMarcus I guess.

LJJ
09-13-2007, 01:58 PM
I saw it on some other site and thought it was a joke.

Damn, now he has bust written all over him.

Kebab Stall
09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
What a kick to the balls. Alot of hype around him and now this happens.

Los Angeles
09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Aren't Portland and Seattle playing on Christmas Day?
It'll be a bore fest for sure now.

GOBB
09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Is this a joke?

MaxFly
09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
This can't possibly be true... my goodness...

Young HkM
09-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Not a big Portland/Oden fan but my heart dropped as soon as a saw this. You hate to see anything like this ever happen, and I hope everything works out for Oden.

But on the other side of things. Kevin Durant is a lock for ROY now.

crisoner
09-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Should of got Durant

L.Kizzle
09-13-2007, 02:04 PM
WOW !!! This sucks.

loot
09-13-2007, 02:05 PM
im hoping its meant to say he's going to miss preseason instead of the regular season

GOBB
I see no breaking news, no report on espn news. So I'm not buying this.

kwajo
Is this true? My goodness, what a crappy turn of events.

adamcz
09-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Wow. Terrible news.

Kebab Stall
09-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Is this a joke?
Hopefully it is a joke. This would be such a piss take if it was a joke though.

DoubleTech
09-13-2007, 02:08 PM
O-done

echo484
09-13-2007, 02:09 PM
I just want it to be something he can fully recover from, so I never have to wonder "what if?" Hopefully it's not a microfracture.

MaxFly
09-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I see no breaking news, no report on espn news. So I'm not buying this.

Yeah, somehow it's hard to believe that Yahoo Sports outscooped everyone else.

ForceOfNature
09-13-2007, 02:12 PM
This is obviously a hoax.

brantonli
09-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Oh man, this will just be sad. I would hate it for Portland fans if Oden becomes wasted if Aldridge becomes the best big man for Portland, and Oden is an entire year behind his fellow rookie classmates.

justbringit23
09-13-2007, 02:13 PM
portland is doing this just to get oj mayo!

ForceOfNature
09-13-2007, 02:14 PM
This is obviously a hoax.

My bad, this looks legit. If so, then Oden is extremely overhyped (he can't stay healthy long).

Duck Rodgers
09-13-2007, 02:15 PM
You guys....it's something we all will have to deal with when we turn 40. You're body just starts to break down...it's inevitable.

thejoyofsobe
09-13-2007, 02:17 PM
It's confirmed on Portland's website. Microfracture surgery.

http://www.nba.com/blazers/

ForceOfNature
09-13-2007, 02:17 PM
You guys....it's something we all will have to deal with when we turn 40. You're body just starts to break down...it's inevitable.

More like 55, dude looks almost as old as Bill Russell.

loot
09-13-2007, 02:18 PM
It's confirmed on Portland's website. Microfracture surgery.

http://www.nba.com/blazers/
**** :(

LJJ
09-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Microfracture?

That sucks. He will never be the next dominant big now.

thejoyofsobe
09-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Microfracture?

That sucks. He will never be the next dominant big now.Amare seemed to recover well and the Blazers are saying it was only a small place on his knee.

L.Kizzle
09-13-2007, 02:23 PM
How did he get inhured in the first place?

Real Men Wear Green
Dang. So much for the "Greg Oden Sweepstakes." I don't see how Kevin Durant doesn't get ROY now.

GOBB
Yeah, somehow it's hard to believe that Yahoo Sports outscooped everyone else.

Espn News reporting it now. Said he injured his knee while he was getting up off a couch and he felt pain. He's out til March and likely out for the season.

Reported by Ric Bucher.

Good Old Willy
Shocking news.

He still can be everything people say, but the greatness will start a year later ...and maybe end sooner.

MAN, can you imagine the Blazer front office right now? How many are just cursing there brains out.

echo484
09-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Amare seemed to recover well and the Blazers are saying it was only a small place on his knee.

I don't think his career is over, but it might limit his upside or whatever you want to call it. Didn't Amare say he's lost 3-4" off his vertical? It's a damn shame.

and1
09-13-2007, 02:24 PM
i read something about him missing the next 6 weeks, if they found anything severe it could be more... but the entire season? oh my gawd.... thats just devastating for portland... and of course oden himself, i hope this proves not to be true still...

20 Dimes A Game
09-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Shame not only for him and Portland, but imo for the NBA.

justbringit23
09-13-2007, 02:31 PM
this is especially painful because theres a chance this will be a chronic issue. since one leg is longer than the other.:roll:

mateo31
09-13-2007, 02:32 PM
I am watching Rich Bucher talk about it right now at 14:25 on ESPNNEWS! According to Mr. Bucher, he had exploratory knee surgery and doctors found a microfracture. Doctors immediately performed the microfracture surgery. He is out until March, most likely the season though. There is a report on Yahoo!, as well (the link has already been posted on page 1 of this thread). Wow, I am shocked. Now ESPNEWS is saying there will be a news conference at 16:30. Hopefully Greg Oden will have a safe recovery.

Qwyjibo
09-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Looks like Josh McRoberts will be seeing playing time after all. Aldridge's fantasy value just went up significantly as well.

MaxFly
09-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Said he injured his knee while he was getting up off a couch and he felt pain.

Are you kidding me...

Kujo
09-13-2007, 02:38 PM
This really sucks. I have a feeling that Oden may end up being injury plagued his whole career, and this pick could turn out to be a disaster.

It obvious that his body is pretty fragile (messing up your knee just gettting up from the couch?).

TMacsOneGoodEye
09-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Did he break a hip? He needs more fiber in his diet.

KobesOneUglyTat
09-13-2007, 02:42 PM
:ohwell: Just imagine if he had elected to come back for his sophomore year. His draft status would be in dire straits.

thejoyofsobe
09-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Looks like Josh McRoberts will be seeing playing time after all. Aldridge's fantasy value just went up significantly as well.Channing Frye is the biggest fantasy winner.

Soundwave
09-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Wow .... just .... wow.

Portland is really cursed with these early 1st rounders. I hate to say it, but I could see Oden having injury problems all through his career, and then the whole "we should have drafted Durant" thing will start up.

I mean wft ... you injure yourself getting off the couch? How is this guy supposed to hold up over the course of 82 NBA games + playoffs? I think he might just have one of those bodies (especailly common in bigger people) that just tends to invite injuries.

MaxFly
09-13-2007, 02:46 PM
It obvious that his body is pretty fragile (messing up your knee just gettting up from the couch?).

I've never heard anything like this before. There must be more to it than that. That must have been when he realized there was pain. I don't know what to say about his future prospects. I hope he recovers quickly and will see a little action late this season. I too am concerned that he is injury prone so early in his career.

PK3434
09-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Are you kidding me...

No. He really said he first felt the pain in his knee getting up off the couch on his vacation....

I know he's not really 40+ years old like everyone jokes but, but maybe he has some kind of condition where his body acts older than his age.

TMac&Luther
09-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I just want to remind people that I said the Blazers passing up Durant was a mistake. I took alot of heat saying that Durant was clearly the best player in the draft and the Trailblazers are taking a big chance on Oden who could just turn out to be "another decent big man" while Durant becomes a star. I also pointed out that Oden had injuries.

It sure would suck if Oden turns out to be another Sam Bowie, can lightning stike the same franchise dead again?

Take Your Lumps
09-13-2007, 02:50 PM
As of now, he's got Sam Bowie written all over him.

Let's hope he recovers.

Qwyjibo
09-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Channing Frye is the biggest fantasy winner.

Him too, forgot about him.

glidedrxlr22
09-13-2007, 02:53 PM
That's sucks for us Blazers fans.

He probably already had that condition and he recently discovered it through pain.

Everyone is now gonna start saying that Portland should've taken Durant. Hopefully he recovers well and Portland gets another high pick next year.

konex
09-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Good thing they didn't get ripped off in a Randolph trade!

Oh Wait... :banghead:

ShawnieMac06
09-13-2007, 03:01 PM
As of now, he's got Sam Bowie written all over him.

Let's hope he recovers.

My thoughts exactly...

Kobe24
09-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Injury prone..

GreatLakes
09-13-2007, 03:03 PM

Are you serious? He didn't have a problem taking a sh*t. Try calcium buddy.

Anyways sucks for the Blazers, as a native Portlander I swear that franchise is cursed.

Let the "should have went with Durant" threads begin!

T-Low
09-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Portland: "There goes our number 1 pick for the entire season...out number one pick period...oh god...this is not good"

Seattle: "We're in the money, we're in the money"...

:cheers:

SRZ66
09-13-2007, 03:07 PM
he'll be playing with a cane in 08'

IGOTGAME
09-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Portland: "There goes our number 1 pick for the entire season...out number one pick period...oh god...this is not good"

Hey looking at the Blazers roster you might get a number 1 pick next year too...'

But I think Oden is gonna have a lot of trouble..Its a year of rehab, then coming back not 100 percent and a not as athletic or quick, then he has to go through all the stuff like learning the game and getting a post game while trying to get as close to before as possible..This is prob gonna hurt his confidence as well...

will the nba take off all those Blazers games now...

ihatetimthomas
09-13-2007, 03:12 PM
No. He really said he first felt the pain in his knee getting up off the couch on his vacation....

I know he's not really 40+ years old like everyone jokes but, but maybe he has some kind of condition where his body acts older than his age.

No way he injured himself gettin off a couch. Thats probbaly just the time he realized their was pain. The damage his knee has suffered is not caused by one incident but rather wear and tear of playing ball over a course of time. Sux big time for the blazers. At least hes young and amare has come back from it pretty well.

Interminator
09-13-2007, 03:14 PM
lmfao I was advocating for Portland not to pick Oden,he has Ralph Sampson written all over him

Oden will retire by age 31 I expect it

BFRESH44
09-13-2007, 03:14 PM
That's rough. A microfracture is no joke...That and a achilles tendon rupture are two worse injuries that can happen a to a basketball player. Simply because they both rob you of a good amount of explosion and lift...

But Oden is still young(yes, he is), and if he's a go getta during his rebab he can bounce back...

Good Old Willy
09-13-2007, 03:16 PM
lmfao I was advocating for Portland not to pick Oden,he has Ralph Sampson written all over him

Oden will retire by age 31 I expect it

After just 3 years in the nba?

Interminator
09-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey looking at the Blazers roster you might get a number 1 pick next year too...'

But I think Oden is gonna have a lot of trouble..Its a year of rehab, then coming back not 100 percent and a not as athletic or quick, then he has to go through all the stuff like learning the game and getting a post game while trying to get as close to before as possible..This is prob gonna hurt his confidence as well...

will the nba take off all those Blazers games now...
this is just as bad as having the Atlanta Falcons this season in primetime games:lol:

wow,Portland should definetly be happy about this....they probably might get a Top 5 pick again this year,this actually might be a blessing in disguise for Portland
OJ Mayo?
Derrick Rose?

now I dont really feel sorry for Portland this season,if Oden is 100% next year they're going to have a hell of a team:eek:

T-Low
09-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Portland still has a nice core, with the new editions and everything, Frye wasn't that bad of a pickup plus u got a deeper bench this year and Roy is only improving every year so why not...I am not saying a serious contender but they still have a fightin chance to make the playoffs...

GOBB
09-13-2007, 03:20 PM

You mean Seattle is saying "We're in the lottery...we're in the lottery" :applause:

ChuckOakley
09-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Personally I think the Blazers will still be a surprise team this season. They were and are still pretty deep up front and balanced in general:

Pryzbilla/LaFrentz /Oden
Aldridge/Frye/McRoberts
Outlaw/JJones/Miles
Roy/Webster
Jack/Blake/Sergio

It was questionable how many extra wins Oden would have given this team this season given his conditioning, foul trouble and learning curve. Assuming he's able to recover and the front office continues drafting good players and making good moves, they still have a very bright future. But yeah, it still sux.

T-Low
You mean Seattle is saying "We're in the lottery...we're in the lottery" :applause:

You read my mind....but I still hate you GOBB haha

Interminator
After just 3 years in the nba?
That would be 11 if he plays next season,he was hyped up as The Next David Robinson but really he was The Next Ralph Sampson

hey Ralph Sampson had a good career in the NBA but he just didnt do what so many people expected for him to

Kevin Pritchard,Blazers GM probably is standing in front of his mirror with a bottle of Vodka and a bottle of sleeping pills:roll:

Wife:"Kevin,Don't do it.What about the kids"

Kevin:"My life is over"

Wife:"Theres always next season,its not like his career is over"

Kevin:I wont be here next season *douces down 20 sleeping pills and chucks down bottle of Vodka*

IGOTGAME
Portland still has a nice core, with the new editions and everything, Frye wasn't that bad of a pickup plus u got a deeper bench this year and Roy is only improving every year so why not...I am not saying a serious contender but they still have a fightin chance to make the playoffs...

:roll: :roll:

they lose 20/10 bigman and get Frye in return and now they are susposed to have a fighting chance in the West...

T-Low
09-13-2007, 03:25 PM
You gotta remember, they do still have money to throw at a Free agent..

Interminator
09-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Personally I think the Blazers will still be a surprise team this season. They were and are still pretty deep up front and balanced in general:

Pryzbilla/LaFrentz /Oden
Aldridge/Frye/McRoberts
Outlaw/JJones/Miles
Roy/Webster
Jack/Blake/Sergio

It was questionable how many extra wins Oden would have given this team this season given his conditioning, foul trouble and learning curve. Assuming he's able to recover and the front office continues drafting good players and making good moves, they still have a very bright future. But yeah, it still sux.
eh,nobody will care yet again this season
Portland could be 32-36 and nobody in Portland would care because Oden is not playing,then once Oden comes back for the final 14 games(which he probably will) I bet the Rose Garden begins selling out and fans start saying "Oh We're The Surprise Team This Year":roll:

maybe they should tank this season and grab OJ Mayo in next year's draft

T-Low
09-13-2007, 03:27 PM
eh,nobody will care yet again this season
Portland could be 32-36 and nobody in Portland would care because Oden is not playing,then once Oden comes back for the final 14 games(which he probably will) I bet the Rose Garden begins selling out and fans start saying "Oh We're The Surprise Team This Year":roll:

maybe they should tank this season and grab OJ Mayo in next year's draft

Then all of a sudden "OJ Mayo is out for the season with an MCL tear...." haha

Tarik One
09-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Sam Bowie all over again.

Interminator
09-13-2007, 03:28 PM
You gotta remember, they do still have money to throw at a Free agent..
That would be a mistake,why panic and spend big money on a FA when Oden is just going to miss 65-70 games

if they sign a guy like Vareajo to a 4/28 million dollar deal I swear next season you will hate Pritchard and Vareajo

Interminator
09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Then all of a sudden "OJ Mayo is out for the season with an MCL tear...." haha
then in 2009 they take Demarr Derozen #1

bwahahahahahahahahaha:roll: :roll:

T-Low
09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
That would be a mistake,why panic and spend big money on a FA when Oden is just going to miss 65-70 games

if they sign a guy like Vareajo to a 4/28 million dollar deal I swear next season you will hate Pritchard and Vareajo

Makes you wonder if they are gonna save the money for next free agent off season and throw money at the big free agents...

Richie2k6
09-13-2007, 03:30 PM
That sucks, bad. Durant used to be the favorite for ROY, now he WILL win it.

Interminator
09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Sam Bowie all over again.
Sam Bowie was never expected to be as good as what Oden is expected,Bowie was maybe expected to average 18/10 at the peak of his career
people only even mention him as a Bust was because he was picked over players Portland didnt need who happened to become All Stars and HOFers

Oden at the peak of his career was expected to average like 25/15/3.....after hearing a call-in radio show and maybe about 25 people throw out numbers around there I really realized how overhyped Oden was

MaxFly
09-13-2007, 03:32 PM

:lol: :lol:

I guess Boston lucked out in not getting a higher lottery pick.

Interminator
09-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Makes you wonder if they are gonna save the money for next free agent off season and throw money at the big free agents...
Nah,they wont bring in that BIG FREE AGENT until they can dump Raef Lafrentz's contract

Portland is in good shape,this injury to Oden should only maybe move them up 2 or 3 spots in next years lottery

imagine if Kobe tore his ACL tomorrow,LAL would be atop the lottery to snag a guy like Eric Gordon,Mike Beasley,or OJ Mayo

Wicked_1
09-13-2007, 03:37 PM
on all the local portland news channels there saying Oden is LIKELY out for the season. There is a blazers news coference scheduled at 1:30 today....... Everyone here is in shock right now including myself

Interminator
09-13-2007, 03:37 PM
:lol: :lol:

I guess Boston lucked out in not getting a higher lottery pick.
oh yeah

those #20 Greg Oden Boston jerseys should probably be plastered at a Boston Bar
kinda like the #34 Ricky Williams Philadelphia Eagle jersey hangs on the wall at Sal's Pizzaria in Philadelphia lol

JohnnyBravo5
09-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Boy this is the only time I'm glad that we didn't have the #1 pick

Sorry Portland...its Sam Bowie all over again. :banghead:

kobelamarjackson
09-13-2007, 03:48 PM
look for channing frye

PacerRaptor
09-13-2007, 03:50 PM
absolutely horrible news...guess Frye and Aldridge are going to be starting

PacerRaptor
09-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Boy this is the only time I'm glad that we didn't have the #1 pick

Sorry Portland...its Sam Bowie all over again. :banghead:
its not Sam Bowie all over again...Sam Bowie just sucked, Oden is good but is injured....Bowie was a waste of a pick when they could have had MJ...Oden will bounce back, but who knows when

Agent_Zero
09-13-2007, 03:51 PM
This is terrible. Best of luck to Oden and his recovery.

DieHardBullsFan
09-13-2007, 03:52 PM
this is unfortunate for the Blazers right now...but I like their future...I think they will be a playoff team next year and I think they can win a title in a few years...I like the players they have on this roster and if they suck ass this year, they get another lotto pick (maybe OJ mayo or that gordon Kid) and they load up and possibly get a stud veterain FA.....

you might be looking at the next Spurs??....only time will tell!

elz
@Tmac&luther

thats not entirely accurate

before knockin Oden for lack of post moves
its rare for any big man to come into the league with a true post game
Most big men come to the league with the ability and develop their post game in the pro's.
Even Shaq didn't come in the league with post moves
I think the only one I truely can recal coming to the NBA with an aresnal of post moves is Duncan. 2nd if not for his hand injury he'd be more offensively polished. He was droppin 15ppg with his left hand . There's actual left handed players that can't avg 15ppg. Durant great but big man bring titles from Duncan to Olajuwon to SHAQ, Chamberlain, Russell. Portland had to take Oden no matter how good Durant is.

Durant is good but IMO he's Rashard Lewis wit slightly more potential.
Both 6 10, both with shooting range and tons of offense both got hops
I don't see much difference between those 2.
Prolly not a popular opinion but their game and skills sets are damn near the same to me.

Poseidon
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another Trailblazer lottery blunder!!! Couldn't have happened to a better organization (other than Sacramento).

Greg Odone!

CAYO
09-13-2007, 03:53 PM
ODEN=BUST

loot
09-13-2007, 03:55 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another Trailblazer lottery blunder!!! Couldn't have happened to a better organization (other than Sacramento).

Greg Odone!

well its not like the lakers organization has done so well in recent years have they?

JohnnyBravo5
09-13-2007, 03:56 PM
How is it possible that you could draft the #1 center in the draft 2 years in a row, and both be injured and can't play. Amazing.

Interminator
09-13-2007, 03:58 PM
nah after really looking over their roster,their team is so stacked and with Outlaw emerging at SF it really would only make sense to add a good veteran SG/SF that can help them or even a good PG if Blake sucks

this is a good thing for Portland for 08-09,Oden may only play 10 games this season though i've never seen a young player miss an entire season after knee surgery they usually play at the most 15 games to kind of get accustemed to playing in a game again

boozehound
09-13-2007, 04:04 PM
ok, all you people buying the "he injured himself getting off the couch line". He noticed the pain when he got up off the couch. Microfractures dont just happen like that. He has probably been working out with it for a good month or longer.

RoseCity07
09-13-2007, 04:15 PM
It's funny, as I watch Jordan videos all last night I realized Durant will never be like Jordan. So this talk about we should of taken Durant is just stupid. Oden is still the better pick.

I'm a bit depressed right now over this whole thing but Oden is a great guy and player. He is expected to make a full recovery and I will watch the Blazers all year. If we get the number 1 pick people are going to still hate on that pick.

Say what you want, I support Oden 110 percent. Looks like Halo 3 is the only to look forward to right now.

Rab
09-13-2007, 04:29 PM
I certainly feel your pain Blazers fans, as I went through this same feeling 2 years ago with Amare.

I don't however, agree with the "doom & gloom" attitude of most posters have shown in this thread. If Oden is willing to work extremely hard in his rehab, but is also smart enough to take as much time as he needs to get back, he should be fine in the long run.

The way these surgeries are handled these days is a bit different from what it used to be in the Penny/A. Houston days. The last 3 significant players who have had this proceedure done are all still playing and thriving. Kidd, Amare, & Randolph have all proven that it can be done. I think the earlier players who had the surgery tried to come back 4-6 months after receiving it, and now those players are trying to come back saying their knees are as healthy as they have been since the surgery because they took the time they needed to recover. From what I read during the Amare rehab and whatnot, the proper recovery time for this injury is 18 months.

Don't buy into the "bust" talks, or the Sam Bowie comparisons. He's going to have a successful career IMO. Maybe it changes his game a little, but good players overcome things like that. Greg Oden will be a good player.

wang4three
09-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Dang. So much for the "Greg Oden Sweepstakes." I don't see how Kevin Durant doesn't get ROY now.
Acie Law IV

eliteballer
09-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Now they are going to get Derrick Rose or OJ Mayo in the draft.

Mayo/Rose
Roy
Outlaw/Webster
Aldridge
Oden

:eek:

Heretik32
09-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Man, this absolutely sucks. Low blow for all NBA fans.

artest 93
09-13-2007, 05:18 PM
now im mad.

i hope kevin durant will not disappoint.

IGOTGAME
09-13-2007, 05:38 PM
kevin pritchard saif that it was only small lesions and that it was less severe then Zach Randolph's and way less severe then Darius miles..He said they caught it early...

If this is true then thats great news for Blazers fans

MaxFly
09-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Looks like Halo 3 is the only to look forward to right now.

Always look on the bright side.

Kobe24
09-13-2007, 05:54 PM
kevin pritchard saif that it was only small lesions and that it was less severe then Zach Randolph's and way less severe then Darius miles..He said they caught it early...

If this is true then thats great news for Blazers fans

You don't have aids... but you have cancer. It's pretty much how I interpreted that post. I don't Portland fans can look at the bright side.

Crazy Style
09-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Shocker I think so! :eek:

AirGauge23
09-13-2007, 05:55 PM
F*CK!!! :banghead:

305Baller
09-13-2007, 05:56 PM
well this sucks, i hope it doesnt take him 2 seasons to get back...

Phar
09-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Awww....that sucks.

Let's hope for a speedy recovery, and that he comes back at 100%. But he's only 19, and he has a good, long career ahead of him. From what I heard, is was a small (tear?) and that he had the microfracture knee surgery?

I was Really looking forward to seeing the Portland vs. Seattle games this season too :(

What to watch,what to watch, what to watch....

mlh1981
09-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Hate to see this to a guy like Oden, who by all accounts is a hard working, friendly, overall good guy. The NBA needs more big men, but more importantly, they need more guys with high character and who can generate a buzz. THe league will have to look in another direction this year to get that sort of thing.......

gts
09-13-2007, 06:01 PM
anyone calling oden a "bust" because of this is an idiot...

a injury does not make a player a bust...if he played and didn't live up to expectations that's a bust, getting injured is different...

i heard a doctor today on the radio talking about microfracture surgery, amazing stuff..he said oden has a really high chance of 100% recover if he follows doctors orders to the letter... most the time when micro fracture does not work it's because the patient tried to do too much tooo early... he explained how it was done, by drilling tiny holes in the end of the bone, that lets bone marrow leak out and form where the cartilage is meant to be...the marrow hardens much like a scab would and if rehabbed correctly it will toughen up over a period of time and replace the missing cartilage and keep the joint from being bone on bone... the problem he said is if the patient works too hard or too early it actually rips the still hardening marrow off the bone before it gets a chance to really toughen up... cool eh?

90sDynasty
09-13-2007, 06:08 PM
anyone calling oden a "bust" because of this is an idiot...

a injury does not make a player a bust...if he played and didn't live up to expectations that's a bust, getting injured is different...

i heard a doctor today on the radio talking about microfracture surgery, amazing stuff..he said oden has a really high chance of 100% recover if he follows doctors orders to the letter... most the time when micro fracture does not work it's because the patient tried to do too much tooo early... he explained how it was done, by drilling tiny holes in the end of the bone, that lets bone marrow leak out and form where the cartilage is meant to be...the marrow hardens much like a scab would and if rehabbed correctly it will toughen up over a period of time and replace the missing cartilage and keep the joint from being bone on bone... the problem he said is if the patient works too hard or too early it actually rips the still hardening marrow off the bone before it gets a chance to really toughen up... cool eh?

I'd put my trust in today's medical science to get me back in playing form. It's unfortunate for players like Hardaway, and Terrell Brandon who never recovered from it. But, there are far more success stories of recovering than there are tragic career ending circumstances. Zach Randolph, Amare, and Jason Kidd all recovered nicely. Jason Kidd only missed 16 games having surgery in July of that year.

John Stockton at age 35 missed 16 games after having surgery in OCTOBER 97?!?

Hopefully Oden can recover fairly quickly.

Shogon Vendetta
09-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Wow that sucks.

In other news... anyone know any gambling websites that are taking bets on ROY?

hotsizzle
09-13-2007, 06:20 PM
unbelievable. terrible news. The road ahead of Oden is as tough as it can get.

Make It Rain
09-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Bowie was labeled a bust. Oden CAN be labeled a bust if he doesn't recover well from this injury and if he doesn't meet even the lowest of expectations. But it's premature to say it's a bad pick right now. He was a pick for the future anyway. Everyone knew Durant would outplay him in the first couple of years.

-primetime-
09-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Is he out with a bad case of "old man face"?

Y2Gezee
09-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Wow, just got back from my classes, turned on the internet to NBA.com (homepage) and got immediate shock. This is terrible terrible news for a player that I really like, and I just couldn't help but to burst out laughing. This is nuts. My one and only knock on him (aside from me not thinking he'd ever score 20ppg) are his injuries. He may just seriously be aging as rapidly as his face.

I think the organization will be fine for the year or so that he misses as I don't think they'd have sniffed playoff contention anyways, and it will allow them to develop Frye and Aldridge more, in fact all around its possible both of them could've been better than Oden for this rookie year anyhow.

Dbrog
09-13-2007, 06:35 PM
dude...

no words can describe when i saw this on NBA.com. This is horribly saddening and shocking. Someone please pick my jaw up from the floor.

Blue&Orange
09-13-2007, 06:35 PM
So Channing Frye will get another chance.

Dengness9
09-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Age 19, year of broken wrist with long recovery, bulging disc in back, now microfracture knee surgery. I mean he might be ok, but he is so huge and freakish, his body could become injury prone, if he isnt already. I smell Bowie.

bleedinpurpleTwo
09-13-2007, 06:44 PM
not to make lite of the situation, but to put a positive spin on it...
at least they will be back in the lottery again, getting another good player for a roster that is already loaded with outstanding youth.

Jasper
09-13-2007, 06:54 PM
As sports go , athletes have to rely on their bodies .
I hope his rookie contract guarentee's full payment.

(I hope he returns and has a great career)

However if doesn't , I hope his contract protects him in all regards.

On another note - I saw on PBS human cells replenish the original cells we are born with. Our faces change over a life time usually 7 times.

Have at it ......... :lol:

gts
09-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski: "Just this week on the telephone, there was an Eastern Conference executive studying Greg Oden's pre-draft physical in his office. Even now, this report still didn't look like the body of a 19-year old prospect, but that of an older, worn veteran. 'From our (trainers and doctors), there were red flags everywhere,' he said. The executive started listing the troubled spots  the bulging disc in the back, wrists, the ankles, the hands, a right leg that was an inch longer than the left, and yes, the knees. He wasn't alone. Several pulled files this week with news of impending knee surgery, and kept wondering if maybe the breakdown of his body was just a matter of time. Despite it all, this executive believed the Blazers had done the right thing drafting the 7-footer over Kevin Durant. Then again, he never had a practical need for his medical staff to pour over Oden like Portland did. No one else but Seattle did. 'It wouldn't have stopped us from drafting him but it would've probably made us pause about making a deal to move up and get him,' the Eastern Conference executive said."

http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

MTing
09-13-2007, 08:27 PM
WOW!
WHAT THE HELL!?
My nearly popped ot of my eyes

Rockets(T-mac)
09-13-2007, 08:52 PM
This is just sad for Portland.

wang4three
09-13-2007, 09:08 PM
I'd put my trust in today's medical science to get me back in playing form. It's unfortunate for players like Hardaway, and Terrell Brandon who never recovered from it. But, there are far more success stories of recovering than there are tragic career ending circumstances. Zach Randolph, Amare, and Jason Kidd all recovered nicely. Jason Kidd only missed 16 games having surgery in July of that year.

John Stockton at age 35 missed 16 games after having surgery in OCTOBER 97?!?

Hopefully Oden can recover fairly quickly.

Love your avatar. That was a great game!!!

majorgoose
09-13-2007, 09:22 PM
what a mess...
even before the draft my pick is durant..
they already got inside presence.. anyways
all they need to do now is to tank the whole season
and get another shot at the number one pick

Doctor K
09-13-2007, 09:23 PM
:roll:
at Oden

Carbine
09-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Blessing in disguise. Portland ends up with Rose or Mayo.

Future backcourt is set. Future front-court is set. All is not lost for that franchise, assuming Oden recovers 100%

Mean Joe Bean
09-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Blessing in disguise. Portland ends up with Rose or Mayo.

Future backcourt is set. Future front-court is set. All is not lost for that franchise, assuming Oden recovers 100%

Agree. It gives them a year to play together and then when they add Oden to clog the middle, they're going to be that much better. Plus Zach randolph is gone and there will actually be shots now!

MJ23
09-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Oden just had microfracture surgery in his knee...thats not good at all, hes never gonna be himself again...what another huge blow to the NBA....

Tool
09-13-2007, 09:53 PM
LOL and Roy goes to Durant :rockon:

scilencek
09-13-2007, 11:34 PM
........potland.........

go for another 1st pick........

silencespeak
09-14-2007, 01:11 AM
sucks for portland and sucks for the nba.

RoseCity07
09-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Oden is a beat period. He is expected to recover 100 percent. We just have to wait a year for his rookie season. Oden is a winner. He wants to play the game, and dominate at it. He will be back and then everyone can just watch and enjoy.

RoseCity07
09-14-2007, 01:55 AM
Plus Zach randolph is gone and there will actually be shots now!

LMAO so true. Roy will probably be shocked that there isn't this black hole he has to throw the ball into every play.

El Kabong
09-14-2007, 03:42 AM
So if Oden doesn't play this year can he still win Rookie Of The Year next year? Or is he out of the running?

Lebron23
09-14-2007, 04:07 AM
So if Oden doesn't play this year can he still win Rookie Of The Year next year? Or is he out of the running?

http://sports.espn.go.com/media/nba/2003/0615/photo/a_robinson_il.jpg

David Robinson was drafted by the San Antonio Spurs in the 1987 NBA Draft but he won the 1989-90 NBA Rookie of the Year. As long as Oden is not playing any single minute in the NBA this year, he is still qualified for NBA Rookie of the Year Next Season.

Another Example

Larry Bird was the 6th overall pick in the 1978 NBA Draft but the Celtics retained their exclusive right to sign him until the 1979 NBA Draft, because of the NBA's "junior eligible" rule that existed at that time. Larry Bird's impact on the Celtics was immediate. The Celtics were 29–53 during the 1978–79 season, but with Bird the team improved to 61–21 in the 1979–80 season, posting the league's best record. Bird's collegiate rival, Magic Johnson, also had entered the NBA in 1979, joining the Los Angeles Lakers. In 1980, despite a strong rookie season from Johnson, Bird was named the league's Rookie of the Year in 1980 and was voted onto the Eastern Conference All-Star team (an honor he would receive for each of his 12 full seasons in the NBA

Gundress
09-14-2007, 05:37 AM
I knew it, he's going to have injuries problem before his career start.

Finn T-Mac
09-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Portland GM :banghead:
Fans :banghead: In games :sleeping
Durant :applause: easy ROY
LaMarcus 20ppg 10rpg

This actually sucks, so NFL and NBA #1 picks ain't playing this season

and1
09-14-2007, 09:53 AM
so will oden's rookie season be the next season or does he just miss his rookie season and be a sophomore right away?

poeticism707
09-14-2007, 09:53 AM
:oldlol:

dawsey6
09-14-2007, 10:27 AM
ouch.

JalenRawley
09-14-2007, 11:06 AM
It

saKf
09-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Wow, I really hope Durant doesn't have some ridiculous rookie year. I don't think I can endure all the media endlessly bashing Portland for making what I consider the right decision.

Optimus Prime
09-14-2007, 12:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

Guess they didn't learn from Sam Bowie...

Some franchises forever exist to be :lol: at.

NugzFan
09-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Portland GM :banghead:
Fans :banghead: In games :sleeping
Durant :applause: easy ROY
LaMarcus 20ppg 10rpg

This actually sucks, so NFL and NBA #1 picks ain't playing this season

not a chance.

loot
09-14-2007, 03:28 PM
i expect 18/8 with 2 blk and very nice%'s from aldrigde

Da KO King
09-14-2007, 04:44 PM
I scurried down the hallway to see him. Lo and behold, Oden was walking by himself down the last stretch of the hallway, about 50 feet in all, right before the exit to head outside.

And you know what? He walked like a 50-year-old man. His posture was screwed up. He had the Fred Sanford walk going. If you saw him from behind and just studied his walk, you would have thought it was a retired player, someone like Patrick Ewing or Robert Parish. I couldn't believe it....

As everyone should know by now I felt Oden was the most over-rated prospect in draft history. However, I never questioned whether he was the right guy. Even though Kevin Durant was blatantly better Oden's abilities and potential warranted being the top pick.

Now though, I have to agree with Bill Simmons; Portland picked the wrong guy.

When a player of that size has that many medical red flags it should put you on notice. When you add in the fact that he doesn't "live basketball", couldn't passed the movement test (the quote above as reference) and wasn't the better player of the two prospects it becomes clear you should have picked the other guy.

echo484
09-14-2007, 04:50 PM
As everyone should know by now I felt Oden was the most over-rated prospect in draft history. However, I never questioned whether he was the right guy. Even though Kevin Durant was blatantly better Oden's abilities and potential warranted being the top pick.

Now though, I have to agree with Bill Simmons; Portland picked the wrong guy.

When a player of that size has that many medical red flags it should put you on notice. When you add in the fact that he doesn't "live basketball", couldn't passed the movement test (the quote above as reference) and wasn't the better player of the two prospects it becomes clear you should have picked the other guy.

The Simmons movement test seems kind of arbitrary, doesn't it? There are lots of guys (mostly bigs) that would fail the test but still manage(d) to play well (e.g., Yao, Mutumbo, Bol, McHale, etc.)

Da KO King
09-14-2007, 04:57 PM
The Simmons movement test seems kind of arbitrary, doesn't it? There are lots of guys (mostly bigs) that would fail the test but still manage(d) to play well (e.g., Yao, Mutumbo, Bol, McHale, etc.)
Not arbitrary at all. It's a common practice among basketball scouts.

Also, have you ever seen any of those players walk in person or are you making an assumption

echo484
09-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Not arbitrary at all. It's a common practice among basketball scouts.

Also, have you ever seen any of those players walk in person or are you making an assumption

I've seen McHale, Kareem and Yao. I've seen Adam Morrison and a bunch of college players as well: Lorenzo Mata, Michael Fey, James Augustine (and they all would have flunked the Simmons test), but I didn't include them because they haven't proven to be effective players in the league yet. The rest I'm just assuming, based on how gangly they look and how non-fluid their movements are on the court. The Simmons test seems primarily concerned with fluidity (correct me if I'm wrong). It makes sense for a perimeter player to need to be mobile, but not necessarily bigs. Off the court, basketball players tend to look awkward anyways: their arms are too long for their bodies, they seem disproportionately long, their heads are too small, etc. I need something more substantive than off-court mannerisms to determine how good a prospect is. Maybe it's just me, though.

Da KO King
09-14-2007, 05:31 PM
The "movement test", like anything else in scouting, is not 100% accurate. It is pretty solid though.

It is extremely rare to see a NBA interior player that has a "bad walk" or that looks like he's in pain when he jogs find long term success.

IGOTGAME
09-14-2007, 05:32 PM
I've seen McHale, Kareem and Yao. I've seen Adam Morrison and a bunch of college players as well: Lorenzo Mata, Michael Fey, James Augustine (and they all would have flunked the Simmons test), but I didn't include them because they haven't proven to be effective players in the league yet. The rest I'm just assuming, based on how gangly they look and how non-fluid their movements are on the court. The Simmons test seems primarily concerned with fluidity (correct me if I'm wrong). It makes sense for a perimeter player to need to be mobile, but not necessarily bigs. Off the court, basketball players tend to look awkward anyways: their arms are too long for their bodies, they seem disproportionately long, their heads are too small, etc. I need something more substantive than off-court mannerisms to determine how good a prospect is. Maybe it's just me, though.

did you just say Kareem didnt move fluidly???I just stopped reading after that..Check out him training with Bruce Lee or their movie..Sorry but that is just false

JalenRawley
09-14-2007, 05:34 PM

Mutumbo and Bol weren't exactly graceful on the court you know, and neither was Bill Cartwright. McHale was a bit more early on, but his ankle injuries helped a lot of that diminish. Yao is actually a bit more smooth in motion than most bigs. He looks a little awkward when he runs, but he's several foot/ankle/leg/knee injuries away from being a true stiff.

You know who looked funny walking? Rik Smits. When I lived in Indianapolis, we saw him shopping at Cub Foods over by Michigan and 86th at like 2am one night. The building was like a warehouse with a ceiling at least three stories tall.. but he still walked as though he was dodging some invisible ceiling fan.

echo484
09-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Mutumbo and Bol weren't exactly graceful on the court you know, and neither was Bill Cartwright. McHale was a bit more early on, but his ankle injuries helped a lot of that diminish. Yao is actually a bit more smooth in motion than most bigs. He looks a little awkward when he runs, but he's several foot/ankle/leg/knee injuries away from being a true stiff.

You know who looked funny walking? Rik Smits. When I lived in Indianapolis, we saw him shopping at Cub Foods over by Michigan and 86th at like 2am one night. The building was like a warehouse with a ceiling at least three stories tall.. but he still walked as though he was dodging some invisible ceiling fan.

Yeah, I mentioned Zeke and Bol because they weren't fluid, but were effective nonetheless (at least on defense). I forgot to mention Smits, but he's another effective-but-awkward big.

echo484
09-14-2007, 05:38 PM
did you just say Kareem didnt move fluidly???I just stopped reading after that..Check out him training with Bruce Lee or their movie..Sorry but that is just false

Wasn't that in the 70's? The Kareem I saw obviously wasn't prime Kareem.

Myth
10-29-2008, 05:52 PM
*Bump

Just to see people's reaction thinking it is happening all over again :D

go-lakers
10-29-2008, 06:46 PM
I hate you.