PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pirates of Carribbean...huh?

bagelred
07-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Why does Pirates of Carribbean do so freakin' well at the box office? This sequel is probably going to be one of the highest grossing movies of all time. It has an outside chance of beating Titanic for THE #1 GROSSING movie of all time.

I simply don't get it. Nothing about the movie looks appealing to me....

Can anyone explain why?

funkylikemonkey
07-19-2006, 12:34 PM
The first one was a great movie that people of any age can enjoy so pretty much everyone went to see it. People expected the same type of entertainment from the sequel so they all went do see it. It was horrible, I almost fell asleep. I'm also pretty sure that the 3rd will do great also because people will forget the 2nd and hope it was like the 1st.

JohnnySic
07-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Possibly because there isn't a whole lot else out there worth seeing right now, and that the first one was good.

TMacsOneGoodEye
07-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I can't believe he type of business this movie is doing right now. Never expected that. NEVER. I thought Supermad would be the big summer film, but that movies kind of crashing and pirates is soaring. I haven't seen it and don't really have any desire to. Maybe when it comes out on video and I'm in the mood for some fluff it might be fun.

bagelred
07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I can't believe he type of business this movie is doing right now. Never expected that. NEVER. I thought Supermad would be the big summer film, but that movies kind of crashing and pirates is soaring. I haven't seen it and don't really have any desire to. Maybe when it comes out on video and I'm in the mood for some fluff it might be fun.

Pirates is destroying Superman. I can't even believe that....

funkylikemonkey
07-19-2006, 12:40 PM
There was barely any publicity for Superman. I just found out the release day a week or two before it was released. I also saw no TV spots.

TMacsOneGoodEye
07-19-2006, 12:41 PM
I haven't seen either. I'm between jobs right now so I don't have any money to go to the movies. I actually never go to the movies. The last movie I saw in the theater was either Bad Education or Life Aquatic. It's been years. I have a nice surround sound system so I watch movies at home alot.

I do wanna see Superman, though.

SpLiTViZiOnZ
07-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Supposedly this is no surprise to the studio... before they released the movie the tracking numbers and forecasts showed that it would gross a ridiculous amount. Superman is a victim of the "been too long since the franchise was hot" syndrome.. not to mention the fact that the overall concesus word of mouth is that "it is good but was not great".

JohnnyBravo5
07-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Apparently because people love stories about quasi-gay pirates:roll:

Phesto
07-19-2006, 12:58 PM
I actually really enjoyed the second one...I'm not sure why. The story was fun and exciting, the acting was decent (Depp was good, and so were many of the supporting actors), good action sequences, and some funny parts made the movie seem shorter than it really was (over 2 hours long I think).

EDIT: Oh, and TMOGE, Superman Returns wasn't anything special. I liked Pirates 2 way more at least..

jamal
07-19-2006, 01:04 PM
none of yall saw the TNT-inspired ads with shaq for superman? similar to the ones that run during the playoffs where they mix highlights with clips from an upcoming movie.

Spike Spiegel
07-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Superman had PLENTY of publicity, at least around here.

Sham
07-19-2006, 01:18 PM
I saw both Superman and Pirates 2.

Personally, I was a bit disappointed with Superman. I enjoyed Pirates 2.

geeWiz15
07-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Pirates 1 was a great movie. The whole franchise is unique in that it appeals to absolutely everyone. Who can't find something to like about Pirates 1? Haven't seen 2 yet though.

xxxSuperStar
07-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Who doesn't love pirates?

Former 76er co-owner Pat Croce does!

http://www.southflorida.com/travel/sfl-fpirate15may15,0,7471101.story

brwnman
07-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I hear POTC is a pretty good movie...

Timmeh
07-19-2006, 01:44 PM
You guys wanna know why the movie is doing so good? Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp. Most of the people who want to see that movie are just horny lusting girls who's pants are soaking when they come out of the theater because of those two.

brwnman
07-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Timmeh, if you really believe that, kill yourself... everybody is watching the movie, not only girls... everybody, the whole family...

Skywalker
07-19-2006, 01:50 PM
There was barely any publicity for Superman. I just found out the release day a week or two before it was released. I also saw no TV spots.

*Jaw drops so far to the floor and crack against the tiles*

WTF? Here in Kingston, Ontario, Superman is advertised in every secodn commercial.

Phesto
07-19-2006, 01:54 PM
*Jaw drops so far to the floor and crack against the tiles*

WTF? Here in Kingston, Ontario, Superman is advertised in every secodn commercial.

Hmm, and I saw Pirates 2 in Kingston! Small world...

geeWiz15
07-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Depp's character is awesome. Bloom is the barbie boy; Depp's a hardcore sea gangsta. with a sense of humor. respek.

brwnman
07-19-2006, 02:06 PM
thats the worst description I've got for Depp's role in POTC... its an awesome character, but he ain't no gangsta...

SCY
07-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Depp and Bloom are poor excuses for pirates. Unless they're spoof movies there's no way I'm seeing either.

brwnman
07-19-2006, 02:12 PM
its mostly word of mouth...

Sham
07-19-2006, 02:16 PM
I really like Depp's character in the Pirates movies. The guy is a joker.

geeWiz15
07-19-2006, 02:16 PM
thats the worst description I've got for Depp's role in POTC... its an awesome character, but he ain't no gangsta...
reSPEK mother****er....

Depp and Bloom are poor excuses for pirates
Watch the movie. I didn't even recognize Depp in the first one. I totally bought it. Don't remember Bloom's character though, in fact I don't remember much of the movie at all. I just know I liked it.

It's not really a spoof but it doesn't take itself 100% seriously. It's fun. That's really the only word for it.

GothamKnight
07-19-2006, 02:19 PM
i think the first Pirates was basically a perfect blockbuster movie

Maestro33
07-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Pirates really wasn't very good. And Superman was good but not super. 22 years worth of ideas + Spacey should have equalled SUPER. But no.

brwnman
07-19-2006, 02:22 PM
reSPEK mother****er....

respeck for what? for something that is ridiculously and utterly a wrong description for Depp... that would be a disgrace to the character of Jack Sparrow, you are irrespectible mother****er...

Voice of Reason
07-19-2006, 02:33 PM
People who dont like Depp's character are those dealing with a perception that pirates are these mean, badass, murderers. So when they see a pirate that doesnt do these things its weird. They see a pirate who isnt cursing or has the typical scrowl when speaking its weird. Sense of humor? What? Weird again. People just dont understand what a pirate is...they sterotyped it such any pirate that does things different then what they percieve and it doesnt add up. You think of a pirate you think of an aged male missing an eye, horrible language and a bad choice of clothing. Also holding a sword lookin to slice you up.

brwnman
07-19-2006, 02:36 PM
People who dont like Depp's character are those dealing with a perception that pirates are these mean, badass, murderers. So when they see a pirate that doesnt do these things its weird. They see a pirate who isnt cursing or has the typical scrowl when speaking its weird. Sense of humor? What? Weird again. People just dont understand what a pirate is...they sterotyped it such any pirate that does things different then what they percieve and it doesnt add up. You think of a pirate you think of an aged male missing an eye, horrible language and a bad choice of clothing. Also holding a sword lookin to slice you up.

cartoon-like...

bagelred
07-19-2006, 03:11 PM
You think of a pirate you think of an aged male missing an eye, horrible language and a bad choice of clothing. Also holding a sword lookin to slice you up.

Hmmmm....I think of Willie Stargell

Timmeh
07-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Timmeh, if you really believe that, kill yourself... everybody is watching the movie, not only girls... everybody, the whole family... i didn't say that only girls were watching the movie you walking void, i said MOSTLY, other reasons are that the first movie was popular and it's a sequel

StarJordan
07-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Superman looks dumbed down compared to Spiderman/batman even. They try to force you to be fan of superman and it looks old news.

Pirates II is a mix of horror, sea adventure, and ACTION-COMEDY. It has novelty. There's something for everyone and so its gonna be a blockbuster!

StarJordan
07-19-2006, 03:57 PM
The only thing I don't like about Pirates is the octopus villain and the other ghoulish effects.

Fatal9
07-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Titanic won't last much longer as the highest grossing movie, increasing ticket prices will make sure of that.

PureElement
07-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Why does Pirates of Carribbean do so freakin' well at the box office? This sequel is probably going to be one of the highest grossing movies of all time. It has an outside chance of beating Titanic for THE #1 GROSSING movie of all time.

Can anyone explain why?

Awesome story. Great action. Humor, excitment, even some sappy romance. AND ITS ABOUT PIRATES, I can't name one unsuccessful movie about pirates. and guys go see it for Keira Knightly (orlando Bloom for the girls).

StarJordan
07-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Titanic won't last much longer as the highest grossing movie, increasing ticket prices will make sure of that

Its lasted for almost 10 years already. And worldwide the closest movie (Lord of the rings) has only done 60% of Titanic. Titanic will be #1 for atleast 5 more years imo.

Sham
07-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest grossed $55.8 million on its opening day, setting records for the largest opening day, the largest single day gross, and the largest Friday gross of all time. The previous record was held by Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith with $50,013,859.

The Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest opening weekend gross stands at $135,634,554 which beats the previous all time opening weekend set by Spider-Man with $114,844,116. Even taking into account the fact that ticket prices were higher for this movie than they were when Spider-Man debuted, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest still sold about 200,000 more tickets than Spider-Man did. The film is also the fastest to gross $100 million, doing so in just 2 days, as well as the fastest to gross $200 million, achieving that milestone in 8 days.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest has now grossed over $390 million worldwide and currently stands at #82 on the All Time Worldwide Highest Grossing Movies chart at Box Office Mojo.

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean:_Dead_Man's_Chest)

Soundwave
07-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Movie trends are somewhat cyclical.

I think people are a bit tired of blockbuster/popcorn films that take themselves too seriously (the Matrix sequels, the new Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Superman Returns, King Kong, etc.) and are craving something a bit more "fun".

Also "Pirates" is hardly the first huge film franchise that's been compared to a rollercoaster ride. Indiana Jones did huge box office in the 80s, I think Pirates has a similar type of appeal (though the Indiana Jones films are better).

The other reasons are casting. Johnny Depp has so much appeal across the board as this type of character. Usually guys have to drag their girlfriends to see these big "blockbuster" movies, as they tend to skew towards the male demographic.

But "Pirates" is something a girl and her girlfriends would go to see on their own anyway, without having to be dragged there by their boyfriends.

That's a big difference. Pirates appeals to the guys who want the usual summer blockbuster, but to the ladies as well. It also can play to the family audience. There really isn't a demographic it doesn't hit.

Knoe Itawl
07-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Great movie from start to finish. Can't see how anyone who likes summer blockbuster fare with a heart and great characters could feel different.

Sham
07-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Movie trends are somewhat cyclical.

I think people are a bit tired of blockbuster/popcorn films that take themselves too seriously (the Matrix sequels, the new Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Superman Returns, King Kong, etc.) and are craving something a bit more "fun".

Also "Pirates" is hardly the first huge film franchise that's been compared to a rollercoaster ride. Indiana Jones did huge box office in the 80s, I think Pirates has a similar type of appeal (though the Indiana Jones films are better).

The other reasons are casting. Johnny Depp has so much appeal across the board as this type of character. Usually guys have to drag their girlfriends to see these big "blockbuster" movies, as they tend to skew towards the male demographic.

But "Pirates" is something a girl and her girlfriends would go to see on their own anyway, without having to be dragged there by their boyfriends.

That's a big difference. Pirates appeals to the guys who want the usual summer blockbuster, but to the ladies as well. It also can play to the family audience. There really isn't a demographic it doesn't hit.

The Indiana Jones comparison is a good one. IJ movies were better movies, but the Pirates franchise brings a lot of humour and irony in it that alot of movies nowadays are lacking.

Also agree with the intended audience part. This is a movie that your girlfriend, parents, kids, or "boys" will enjoy. Great movie.

Knoe Itawl
07-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Superman didn't fail because people are tired of blockbuster movies, it failed because it wasn't what a Superman movie is supposed to be, that is FUN. And I'm someone who thought the movie was "good" but "good" is a dissapointment when you're dealing with a Superman movie. It took itself too seriously not realizing you can be serious AND fun.

I guarantee if the creators had made a better, more fun movie it would have performed much better at the box office.

Voice of Reason
07-19-2006, 05:15 PM
How many redone/remade films have actually been better then the original? Hollywood seems to be trying to milk this until someone makes it big. I'm not against it but just hope we arent gonna be sitting around for more Superman movies. Waiting for him in Superman II to be a baby daddy with a drug problem. But I've heard mixed reviews when it comes to Superman, the majority here seem to think it was good not great, a dissapointment, blah. Elsewhere I heard the opposite. Gotta see it, I downloaded it on my pc, give it a try even tho the movies is probably where I should view it. Better feel.

laalaa
07-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Why does Pirates of Carribbean do so freakin' well at the box office?
Good question!
It's doing well because of the massive marketing. All the hype it gets plays a big part. It's a film that doesnt offer anything mind opening, anything that'd make the movie historical outside being a hit. Questions were left open in the first part so audience became dependant on the sequal?

It's a film that's made to entertain those who choose to watch it, the story has elements that makes the audience feels coherence, being part of the film, dealing the same stuff in real life as the characters in the film do. Studios have employees who get their paychecks for this type of stuff and I'm not talking about producers.

Also having popular actors that especially youngsters idolize makes a big difference.

Unfortunately we live in an era where the actual content is irrelevant next to lucrative little tricks.
Something for everyone.

FPower
07-19-2006, 05:53 PM
I liked Pirates a lot, fun movie to watch.

Superman was boring and had no heart. The opening sequences when he first comes back to earth were great, but the plot didn't build on that excitment. The movie just went completely downhill from there.

jamal
07-19-2006, 05:58 PM
whatever ship played the "interceptor" in the first movie...ive been on it. sailed on it for three weeks. real rugged. had to climb up the masts ourselves and raise them, and wake up in the middle of the night to steer the ship and navigate. we started in seattle and sailed around vancouver island in the exact same ship. the crew were all the same guys that were there when the original movie was filmed, they told me what it was like and all that. (from july 20-aug. 9, 2003)

GothamKnight
07-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Batman Begins was awesome imo

geeWiz15
07-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Batman Begins = best superhero movie ever, best comic book interpretation ever. that movie was sick. 1000X times what I was expecting. You go to such movies to be excited and to enjoy yourself, I don't think anyone expects all that plus a movie that is simply classic by any measure, even against some of the greatest contemporary movies made.

Plus Batman is the best superhero. Superman sucks, Spiderman definitely has a case, but he just doesn't have the badass factor that Batman does.

GothamKnight
07-19-2006, 06:41 PM
a Wolverine movie would be sick. Spiderman 1 was good, 2 was good if you block out all the cheesy love crap. I think Kirsten Dunst is SO HORRIBLE as Mary Jane. dunno wtf they were thinking with that one.

Wolverine can give Batman a run for his money.

the 1st half (origin part) of Batman Begins was flawless. the rest is good action which it had to have.

FPower
07-19-2006, 09:49 PM
I still like Tim Burton's "Batman" better. You can't beat Nicholson.

Voice of Reason
07-19-2006, 09:51 PM
I rank Batman Begins up there with Star Wars Return of the Sith. Just because I love how you actually get some in depth look at the movies you watched beforehand. And I enjoy how a movie is done like that where the ending leaves you up to the beggining of the first movie, if that makes sense.

HALLandOATES
07-19-2006, 09:52 PM
It won't come close to the record, it will die down in a month and get about 400mill, still alot off.

kentatm
07-19-2006, 10:24 PM
I thought Supermad would be the big summer film, but that movies kind of crashing and pirates is soaring.

i was pretty dissapointed in Superman and am not sure if i ever want to see it again.

have not seen Pirates 2 but from what ive read it has more Jack Sparrow and less Orlando Suck. JS is a GREAT character so i can see why people flock to the film.

panzerdragoon0
07-19-2006, 10:36 PM
wow, alot of people feel the same way I do. I thought superman returns was boring as hell and Pirates was good.

Voratian
07-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Superman grossed like 126M in the US alone the first week, and garnered considerably better reviews than Pirates 2. Not a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

I enjoyed Superman a lot, though the whole cape-moving in space thing, tired plot twist and Spacey as Luther were bad points.

Still need to see Pirates 2, though I hear the plot is incomprehensible.

bagelred
07-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Superman grossed like 126M in the US alone the first week, and garnered considerably better reviews than Pirates 2. Not a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

I enjoyed Superman a lot, though the whole cape-moving in space thing, tired plot twist and Spacey as Luther were bad points.

Still need to see Pirates 2, though I hear the plot is incomprehensible.

I wouldn't say Superman is a failure, but it didn't reach $200 million in U.S. yet, which is surprising. But Piriates is just kicking its butt. I'm sure the studio's expectations for Superman were much higher....

And for your Pirates 2 update, it has now made $280 million in the U.S. and rising fast. It is now the 28th All-time highest grossing movie in U.S. It just passed "Meet the Fockers" and "Shrek", and it still has alot of miles on it. Should make Top 10 easy IMO....

Bourne
07-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Batman Begins was very well done. The build up to his days as the Dark Knight where he trains in those mountains was absolutely terrific. Really made viewers want to see him get to Gotham and wreak havoc.

On a side note, has anyone here seen the fanfic movie Batman: Dead End? It's an ~8 min movie that you can find on YouTube, and it is absolutely phenominal. Get past the first 1 minute of him putting on a not-so-great costume, and you're in for a treat. Don't know what it's about? Try this on for size: Batman vs. Alien vs. Predator! Does that not sound like total kick-ass? Go watch it, now.

Ever realise that Batman is the only superhero without any powers?

PHXsunsROCK1105
07-21-2006, 01:18 PM

Can anyone explain why?

CUZ IT'S AN ACTION-PACKED FUNNY FILM! :hammerhead: hhaa

KillaCamNOHOMO
07-21-2006, 01:36 PM
haha, superman was on pepsi cans all over america for about 2 months..

if thats not publicity,i dont know what is

Inspector Rick
07-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Pirates is your perfect summer blockbuster. Its a fun, enjoyable, action-adventure type movie that everyone can watch. I never ever need to watch it again, but I got EXACTLY what I wanted from it so I cant complain.

Oh, anyone notice the actor who looked exactly like Ben Gordon when they were rowing their boats through a swamp? Its only a quick clip, but man was it funny.

PHXsunsROCK1105
07-21-2006, 01:43 PM
POC was way better than superman! thats like comparing the nuggets to the spurs or suns..or mavs

Big_D_62
07-21-2006, 01:44 PM
a Wolverine movie would be sick. Spiderman 1 was good, 2 was good if you block out all the cheesy love crap. I think Kirsten Dunst is SO HORRIBLE as Mary Jane. dunno wtf they were thinking with that one.

Wolverine can give Batman a run for his money.

the 1st half (origin part) of Batman Begins was flawless. the rest is good action which it had to have.

A wolverine movie is in production with the dude that played wolverine in the x-man movie. Also a justice league movie, and a greenlantern and aqua man movie are be considered. A rumor from The creators of X-Men. No i dont have a link becuz it was a radio show.

And superman sucked ass i fell asleep in that except in 2 parts.

Pirates for the most part was a decent movie...i enjoyed it. It wasnt as good as the 1st accept that it was more action.

Spiderman 3 is gunna suck just beacuse Topher Grace is playin venom.

Batman begins=best superhero movies so far

bagelred
07-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Pirates is your perfect summer blockbuster. Its a fun, enjoyable, action-adventure type movie that everyone can watch.

What, do you work for the studio or something? Are you trying to get quoted in the commercial?

"Ships Ahoy for Pirates of the Caribbean. Two big aaaarghs up!!!!"

bagelred
07-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Batman begins=best superhero movies so far

Spiderman 2 was probably the best Superhero movie to date. Honorable mention to Superman, Superman 2, and very first Batman.

And when the f-ck are they gonna make a "Wonder Woman" movie already? What are they waiting for? A super hot superhero that kicks butt? C'mon already....

kentatm
07-21-2006, 03:11 PM
saw Pirates 2 today. it was pretty good. it had some creative action scenes and more of Depp with less of Bloom.

of course it suffers the same fate as Back to the Future 2 where after sitting through the whole thing you get an anti clamatic, we'll see you in a few months for part 3 ending.

but overall it was pretty good. i liked it far more than Superman and X3. it had better F/X, acting (well except Bloom, god he's awful) plot, action jokes etc etc etc.

it was just flat out better

I give it a B only b/c its not a stand alone movie.

kentatm
07-21-2006, 03:12 PM
And when the f-ck are they gonna make a "Wonder Woman" movie already? What are they waiting for? A super hot superhero that kicks butt? C'mon already....

Joss Whedon is doing the script right now actually.

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/5620/kickvq4.gif

Voice of Reason
07-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Wolverine has no appeal to me to see him in a movie.
Wonder Woman? You saw Cat Woman with sexy Halle Berry and it was one of the worst movies ever in terms of superheros. Wonder Woman will be the same.

GothamKnight
07-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Spiderman 2 was probably the best Superhero movie to date. Honorable mention to Superman, Superman 2, and very first Batman.

are you gay?

B-Low
07-21-2006, 03:59 PM
My favorite super hero movies have been:

Batman Begins
Spiderman 1 and 2
Batman Forever (just because of Jim Carey and Tommy Lee Jones)
X-Men trilogy (i was a HUGE fan growing up)

geeWiz15
07-21-2006, 04:12 PM
And that's what's awesome. He beats you with intelligence and stealth. The thinking man's superhero.

bagelred
07-21-2006, 04:12 PM
are you gay?

Are you? LOL

I see the mention of Wonder Woman's beauty has made you uncomfortable. You can look at Brandon Routh all you'd like.

kentatm
07-21-2006, 04:17 PM

most of Gotham is without powers.

and uh, Robin, Nightwing (Robin 1 or 2 i forget) Batgirl and others also dont have powers. now and then Catwoman is a good guy as well./

B-Low
07-21-2006, 04:22 PM
And that's what's awesome. He beats you with intelligence and stealth...

And money. Don't forget lots of money for all his stuff!

Maybe thats how Bill Gates could put his money to use...become a hero of the people. Mac-Man

GothamKnight
07-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Are you? LOL

I see the mention of Wonder Woman's beauty has made you uncomfortable. You can look at Brandon Routh all you'd like.

Wonder Woman + thinking Spiderman 2 was the best superhero movie. Spiderman 2 had way too much love bs in it

bagelred
07-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Wonder Woman + thinking Spiderman 2 was the best superhero movie. Spiderman 2 had way too much love bs in it

LOL...all superheros have a love interest in their movies....

Superman 2 was just an awesome movie top to bottom.

I'm sorry you were so offended by Wonder Woman. Next time I'll choose a more suitable superhero for your "preferences".

kentatm
07-21-2006, 05:05 PM
it seems that somebody here is insecure with their sexuality.

bagelred
07-24-2006, 12:47 AM
I have your Pirates update.

It's kicking @ss and not stopping:

It is now the 16th highest grossing movie of All time in the U.S. at $321 million and climbing fast.....

It just passed a Harry Potter, a LOTR, and a Star Wars movie on the list...

And I still don't get it.....

nash4eva!gosuns
07-24-2006, 01:57 AM
Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley? do u not see why this movie is grossing so much? JOHNNY DEPP For God's sakes...plus it's a great plot...

they're the hottest cast in any movie...even mr. and mrs. smith...brad's a whore btw...that's why angie luvs him so much..she's just like him...

and it's got a great Piratey feel to it...makes you want to be a pirate

CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW:I need to shoot something...where's that monkey?, why is the rum always gone?

it was hilarious...

hawkfan
07-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Monster in the House would have opened at no. 1, but Lady in the Water took away its business.

Pirates II isn't as good as the first movie, but it was better on the second viewing.

Lady in the Water will still come ok - it cost around $55 to make, and it should probably break even here in the U.S. and it will make a ton worldwide. The Village made $250 million overall, including worldwide numbers.

I was surprised Clerks II didn't do better money wise, but My Super Ex-Girlfriend took away some of its business. I have a feeling, Clerks II will do ok this weekend and make around $25 million overall (not the $100 million I initially predicted due to movie reviews).

jbot
07-24-2006, 07:25 AM
pirates 2 was ok. more action and great effects. a tad too long though.
monster house looks ok for kids.
lady in the water looks dumb, but might be ok. that m. night shallawhatever guy makes neat flicks. his best was invincible.
clerks 2 shouldn't have been made. that last movie w/ those characters was a piece of crap. i wouldn't go see it if i had free tickets.

Nowitzki41MFFL
07-24-2006, 09:58 AM
its a great movie thats why

Phesto
07-24-2006, 10:12 AM
pirates 2 was ok. more action and great effects. a tad too long though.
monster house looks ok for kids.
lady in the water looks dumb, but might be ok. that m. night shallawhatever guy makes neat flicks. his best was invincible.
clerks 2 shouldn't have been made. that last movie w/ those characters was a piece of crap. i wouldn't go see it if i had free tickets.

That's not an M. Night Shyamalan movie. However, he did make a movie called Unbreakable which was totally sweet.

Patti972
07-24-2006, 07:12 PM
I personally went to see the movie more than once (Sue me, I'm a ****in' dork) so obviously I thought it was good stuff. I guess it's somewhat a kiddie movie, but it's still appealing. I don't usually like that kind of thing, but ah...there's something about this one.

Johnny Depp is absolutely amazing. He was by far my favorite actor anyway...but in these he's just incredible. I can't imagine any other actor making Jack Sparrow as 'real' and unique as he is.

I thought it was an excellent sequel. I was actually surprised to find a ton of people who didn't dig it. If you weren't a fan of the first one, I can understand you not really enjoying this one...but a ton of people who loved the first one, hated this one.

vagabond
07-24-2006, 07:20 PM
I was really disappointed yeah the special effects were good and parts were quite amusing but, it was the best part of 3 hrs for half a movie!!!:mad:

GothamKnight
07-24-2006, 07:39 PM
LOL...all superheros have a love interest in their movies....

Superman 2 was just an awesome movie top to bottom.

I'm sorry you were so offended by Wonder Woman. Next time I'll choose a more suitable superhero for your "preferences".

I'm a huge Spiderman fan (used to collect/read the comics, etc). The whole love story is way too cheesy. It didn't have to be that way. Her running to the apt in her wedding dress? UGH. That's straight out of a chick flick. Mary Jane was sexy in the comic book. whatshername in the movie is not sexy at all. She's anorexic and cute.

JSub
07-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Lady in the Water got a ONE STAR rating. You guys gotta stay away on this one. Definitely dont sleep on Pirates 2, it was one of the highlights of the summer blockbusters. People who havent actually seen it will claim its too long, because when you're actually watching it, time flies by b/c of the nonstop action and entertainment. I like the cliffhanger at the end too. The third installment is going to be sick.

vagabond
07-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Lady in the Water got a ONE STAR rating. You guys gotta stay away on this one. Definitely dont sleep on Pirates 2, it was one of the highlights of the summer blockbusters. People who havent actually seen it will claim its too long, because when you're actually watching it, time flies by b/c of the nonstop action and entertainment. I like the cliffhanger at the end too. The third installment is going to be sick.

That wasn't a cliff hanger, that was a, we're now half way through 1 movie that has been split in two.

I wouldn't bother until the 2nd half comes out. Happy to watch it when I get to see the end of the film. But felt short changed sitting through three hours for the film not to come to a conclusion.

jbot
07-24-2006, 10:04 PM
That's not an M. Night Shyamalan movie. However, he did make a movie called Unbreakable which was totally sweet.

that's what i meant. unbreakable was his best movie to date. signs was the worst.

Sham
07-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Was it this thread that TMOGE ripped geewiz a new one about this past weekend's movie earnings?

I remember something about geewiz saying Clerks 2 will make alot of money and TMOGE came in and just shred him to pieces.

Funny stuff.

bagelred
07-29-2006, 05:26 PM
It's your Pirates of Caribbean update:

Pirates is now 14th on the All Time highest grossing movies in the U.S. at $337 million. It just passed Forrest Gump and the Lion King, right on Finding Nemo's tail. And the weekend's coming up:

It is the fastest movie in U.S. history to reach $100 million, fastest to reach $200 million, and the fastest to reach $300 million in U.S. history.

And I still don't get it......

BankShot
07-29-2006, 05:28 PM
The youth is fascinated by Pirates.

I dont know how many of my friends went to see that movie the first night even though it was disney and didn't have the usual sex, violence, special effects that would otherwise draw them to the box office.

There is a certain "cool" aura around the idea of a pirate that kids/young adults can relate with i guess.

I thought it was terrible and asked for my money back afterward.

Nowitzki41MFFL
07-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Its A Good Movie Thats Why

geeWiz15
07-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Was it this thread that TMOGE ripped geewiz a new one about this past weekend's movie earnings?

I remember something about geewiz saying Clerks 2 will make alot of money and TMOGE came in and just shred him to pieces.

Funny stuff.
No, that was the lady in the water thread, and I ripped HIM to pieces, but you wouldn't know, because nobody reads my retaliations because you don't want to admit to yourselves that I can hold my own against anybody.

Yeah Clerks didn't even get top 5 in the box office. Little Man, on its second week, even beat it. Jeez. Movie sales depend solely on advertising. That's all there is to it. Doesn't matter how good the movie is, if you make a McDonalds toy out of it, put commercials on all the major networks and previews before every movie, people will flock.

Y2Gezee
07-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Damn it was a good movie, but not that damn good. Especially since it leaves you hanging at the end.

nash4eva!gosuns
07-30-2006, 01:13 AM
You guys wanna know why the movie is doing so good? Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp. Most of the people who want to see that movie are just horny lusting girls who's pants are soaking when they come out of the theater because of those two.

oooh...do i sense jealousy?

i seen hippos
07-30-2006, 01:18 AM
girls pee the pants after talking to me too.

nash4eva!gosuns
07-30-2006, 01:23 AM
girls pee the pants after talking to me too.

that's cuz u scare them:ohwell:

i seen hippos
07-30-2006, 01:27 AM
i said pee their pants, not sh!t their pants.

nash4eva!gosuns
07-30-2006, 01:44 AM
i said pee their pants, not sh!t their pants.

maybe they hadn't eaten popcorn and just a bunch of soda...hehe...wat now?

bruinballer
07-30-2006, 02:21 AM
maybe they hadn't eaten popcorn and just a bunch of soda...hehe...wat now?

:roll:

enjoying da repartee.. balls in ur court, hippo!! ;-)

i seen hippos
07-30-2006, 02:25 AM
well then you'd give a whole new meaning to the word diarrhea.

bagelred
07-30-2006, 07:52 PM
You know what it's time for. Your Pirates update.....

Pirates grossed yet another $20 million this weekend. Pirates has now grossed $358 million in the U.S. It is now ELEVENTH on the all time list in the U.S. It just passed Finding Nemo, LOTR two towers, and the legendary Jurassic Park.
Next up: Passion of the Christ.

Did I mention Pirates is easily the top grossing movie of the year by more than $100 million? ("Cars" is 2nd with $234 million).

When will the madness end?

I still don't get it......

kentatm
07-30-2006, 08:36 PM
POTC2 is just a solid flick. its one of the few summer blockbusters that actually delivers. it kills SUperman and XMen. just kills them. and it does it despite the charisma challenged Orlando Bloom playing a main character.

bagelred
08-03-2006, 08:50 PM
You know what it's time for...your Pirates update!!!!!

How good is this movie doing? It opened July 7th, and on Wednesday, August 2nd...it was STILL the number one movie for the day....FOUR WEEKS LATER.

The movie made $2.5 million on Wednesday, edging out Miami Vice.

The movie has now grossed $366 million dollars - and is about to break into the Top Ten All Time.

And I STILL don't get it.......

saKf
08-04-2006, 12:44 AM
My name is in the credits.

bagelred
08-07-2006, 08:28 AM
You know what it's time for....your Pirates update!!!!

And BOOM, Pirates bolts past some more competition. It is now at $379 million after making another $11 million this weekend, still finishing THIRD for the weekend even after being out five weeks.

It is now EIGHTH on the All time U.S. Box office list. It just passed Passing of the Christ, Spider lose 2, Lord of the Rings: Return to Ninth Place.....

Right around the corner: Star Wars - Revenge of the (didn't quite make) Sixth (place)

And I still don't get it.......

crisoner
08-07-2006, 09:48 AM
One of my earliest memories as a kid was riding the ride Pirates of the Caribbean. Loved it ever since and loved the movies.

crisoner
08-07-2006, 09:50 AM
daps on the larry david pic.

bagelred
08-07-2006, 11:35 AM
daps on the larry david pic.

daps

bagelred
08-09-2006, 10:39 AM
You know what it's time for...your Pirates update!!!!

Add another day to the total, and now another milestone....

After Monday's total, Pirates has now grossed $381 million in the U.S., putting it SEVENTH on the All Time List. It just passed Star Wars, Revenge of the Sith. Looks like $400 MILLION is in the bag....

It has made $773 million worldwide. A billion dollars, here we come....

And I still don't get it.....

LamarOdom
08-17-2012, 07:14 PM

Can anyone explain why?

The first one was great seen it at least 3-4 times, JDepp was funny as hell in that movie. The sequels was meh.

Nick Young
08-17-2012, 07:15 PM
The star wars of their generation:rockon:

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-17-2012, 07:55 PM
part 5 coming in 2014/2015.

kentatm
08-17-2012, 08:01 PM
The star wars of their generation:rockon:

umm no.

the first 3 Star Wars were well liked then and are well remembered now.

I don't know anyone who liked Pirates 2 & 3.

4 was decent enough but it was still a bit of a mess.

brantonli
08-17-2012, 08:46 PM
The Avengers is out! Finally!! I'm off to the cinema to watch it

Yes, in Japan the Avengers have just come out :lol

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-17-2012, 08:57 PM
The Avengers is out! Finally!! I'm off to the cinema to watch it

Yes, in Japan the Avengers have just come out :lol
hulk dies