PDA

View Full Version : If You can Beat an NBA Player 1 on 1, you'll get a 10 Day Contract for an NBA team...

DLeagueWannabe
09-27-2007, 01:50 PM
You get to choose the player you want to play 1 on 1...

Who do you choose to go up against, and why?

What will the score be if you win?

What team will you pick to play on if you win? lol

Let The Games Begin

IGOTGAME
09-27-2007, 01:54 PM
I'll play Sasha Vucjic, JJ Reddick or Damon Jones...

reason why: None of them can stop me from scoring in the paint

Winners ball, Everything 1's...game to 7.

Chuck Thou NBA
09-27-2007, 01:54 PM
*Thread of the day!

I'd pick Chris Quinn of the Miami Heat.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_chris_quinn.jpg

I am positive I can beat him.

VCMVP1551
09-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Jason Collins. Play by 2's to 21. I could beat him 21-14.

Chuck Thou NBA
09-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Jason Collins. Play by 2's to 21. I could beat him 21-14.

That's unrealistic.

ForceOfNature
09-27-2007, 01:57 PM
That's unrealistic.

Yeah, VCMVP, it seems like Jason Collins would post u up every time, and block all your shots, because he's a decent defender.

Showtime
09-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I could beat Ben Wallace in a game of horse.

lurch67
09-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Mike Sweetny 21-17

VCMVP1551
09-27-2007, 02:00 PM
That's unrealistic.

You think Collins has the stamina to score that much? He can't shoot 3's like i can either. Have you seen the type of shape Collins is in? He has the physique of the Michelin Man

bdreason
09-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Nobody here could beat any NBA player 1 on 1.

Anyone who thinks they can is delusional.

I'de take a WNBA player over 90% of the people on an internet forum board.

VCMVP1551
09-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Yeah, VCMVP, it seems like Jason Collins would post u up every time, and block all your shots, because he's a decent defender.

Post me up yes but Collins is the type of player who can't post up even when he isn't guarded. Collins also can't block shots and he can only guard big men. I could shoot open 3's all day long. I'm too small and quick.

DLeagueWannabe

LET'S GO!

I'mma eat Adonal Foyle up... winners, 1 and 2 pointers, 21 to 16...I even got a dunk in

lurch67
I didnt say mine would be pretty.

CAYO
09-27-2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_john_iii_lucas.jpg
21-0
What team will you pick to play on if you win?
ROCKETS

NastaMaverick
09-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I'd KILL Kobe in a game of 1 on 1.

Chuck Thou NBA
09-27-2007, 02:08 PM

With a gun or knife? or other sharp objects?

Chuck Thou NBA
09-27-2007, 02:09 PM
You think Collins has the stamina to score that much? He can't shoot 3's like i can either. Have you seen the type of shape Collins is in? He has the physique of the Michelin Man

I said unrealistic because how the hell does Collins score 14?

jailer
09-27-2007, 02:10 PM
This is what I love.FANS talking trash about pros!I have seen low level college players absolutely dominate street ball players.But then in games they dont look good.I have seen center on colleg teams hit six three pointers in a row.With a defender in the face.Im telling you these guys would destroy any other non pro player.I think brian cardinal is horrible.But I cant take him one on one.There is a reason he is inthe league and im not.You guys have so much arrogance its ridicoulous.

Q.E.C
09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
i'd play greg oden. he's too hurt to play one on one. :D

DLeagueWannabe
09-27-2007, 02:18 PM
This is what I love.FANS talking trash about pros!I have seen low level college players absolutely dominate street ball players.But then in games they dont look good.I have seen center on colleg teams hit six three pointers in a row.With a defender in the face.Im telling you these guys would destroy any other non pro player.I think brian cardinal is horrible.But I cant take him one on one.There is a reason he is inthe league and im not.You guys have so much arrogance its ridicoulous.

the fact that you take this thread that serious makes you so lame...

I just wanted to breathe some life into the board, thats why I started this topic...I thought it would be fun, and get things goin a little, (ya know, sense its the offseason and there's nothing to talk about). But here we go, with someone coming in tryin to ruin the good mood...WOW...

what should I have posted? If you beat any NBA player in a typing test you get a 10 Day Contract? GTFOH, your H@te is not needed?

Los Angeles
09-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I seriously doubt I can beat any professional baskteball player, all these kids that pick NBA's worst player and say they will beat them are full of it. They are in the league for a reason. I mean I'm sure more then 75% people on this board will claim they can beat some bench warmer, that seriously cracks me up...because, breaking the news...YOU CAN'T...maybe 2-3 people in here can compete with an NBA star, I doubt so many of you are that good.

I'll probably play Sasha, just because he's more or less my size...I wouldn't win, score will be 11-3 or something like that, if I'm lucky.

I would obviously want to play for the Lakers, if I somehow defeated an NBA player.

brantonli
09-27-2007, 02:20 PM
I'll take my chances with Oliver Miller.

ForceOfNature
09-27-2007, 02:20 PM
21-0
ROCKETS

You really would go up and think u would win against JOHN LUCAS??

Some of you guys I think are really underrating NBA players. I mean, these guys are the BEST basketball talents in the country, and some from around the world! Even the worst NBA player is extremely good at basketball.

abuC
09-27-2007, 02:25 PM

I'd play Shaun Livingston, right now.

loot
09-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Andrew Bynum. Tell him there's donut wiating for him in the lockerroom and I'll have a free path to the basket.

picc84
09-27-2007, 02:29 PM

reason why: None of them can stop me from scoring in the paint

How tall are you?

Any one of them would murder you.

Lebron23
09-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I think i can beat David Wesley right now, he might be a great player during his prime. I have seen some of the Cavaliers game and he literally missed an open lay up. I can take him into the hole because i am much taller and much faster than him right now.

Uchiha_Hai
09-27-2007, 02:46 PM
I think I can beat Shawn Bradley or Anderson Varejao pretty easily....

NastaMaverick
09-27-2007, 02:54 PM
With a gun or knife? or other sharp objects?
I was thinking a gun, but w/e works.

mlh1981
09-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Noone on here could beat ANY NBA players, even those who are shelved right now. I guarantee that Greg Oden, even in his current state, could beat everyone on here. The skill level of even the WORST NBA players is head and shoulders above any of ours...........it takes a special human being to defy the overwhelming odds of NOT making it.............I think the odds of going on The Price is Right and winning a corvette are probably better.........

NastaMaverick
09-27-2007, 03:02 PM
I'd take on Elton Brand

ihatetimthomas
09-27-2007, 03:07 PM
i find it amusing that there are people who honestly think they can beat an NBA player. No one here can beat any NBA player. If they could, they should be in the NBA or in a leaguel below it. Everyone thinks all the big men are slow but they are very quick for their size and any one here would be lucky to get a point on any NBA player

Jimmy2k8
09-27-2007, 03:38 PM
How amusing.

Its impossible for a High school player to beat a nba player.

A.M.G.
09-27-2007, 03:45 PM
I would play against Shaun Livingston. I would kick him in his injured knee, and he'd just be limping after me as I ran circles around him owned him.

loot
09-27-2007, 03:50 PM
even if you'd be skilled enough to blow past a player 3 times he'll body check you so hard you'll be scurrred to even pick up the ball again

VCMVP1551
09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
I said unrealistic because how the hell does Collins score 14?

lol that is true I've seen him trip attempting open lay ups.

pishenis
09-27-2007, 04:10 PM
It's obvious nobody here could beat any NBA player, but this thread was a good and fun idea, its just a thread game, lets play and not be realistic.

I would go against Larry Hughes cause the last time I check he couldnt make one single open jumper.

clayton
09-27-2007, 04:11 PM
LOL if anyone choses Shaq. You better hit all your "shots", because he can go 40-0 if he ever get a chance to play as offense.:lol:

Chalkmaze
09-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Earl Boykins

I have the size advantage, and can probably keep up with his speed somewhat. Part of his strength is playmaking... in a game of one on one, that strength gets thrown out. I really think I can win him a few games if we played like 10 games. maybe... Actually, it would be pretty tough these days, I'm 32... and have lost a couple steps, 10 years ago, I would have rather liked to have played him.. I'm assuming I'd get time to practice and get into shape (like 3-6 months)... back when I was younger I think I could have beat him one on one quite a bit... it would have been close at least. I used to beat our star high school player one on one all the time, since he was my size (5'10")

Chuck Thou NBA
09-27-2007, 04:27 PM
LOL if anyone choses Shaq. You better hit all your "shots", because he can go 40-0 if he ever get a chance to play as offense.:lol:

:roll: I know.

dejordan
09-27-2007, 04:33 PM
1 on 1 would be completely unfair. i'd have to play 1 versus 5. i'd crush the spurs, because i live in an f'n fantasy land where people who don't play any kind of pro ball can whoop up on nba players like it's nothing. in fact you better skip the spurs and just build a dream team if you don't want to me to skunk these no talent chumps.

brandonislegend
09-27-2007, 05:39 PM
How amusing.

Its impossible for a High school player to beat a nba player.
not true

sorry but OJ mayo would kill sasha vujactic is a game.

v-unit
09-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Kobe Bryant, obviously no player in the NBA would lose to me, so playing Kobe is A) asick exerience B) Crazy bragging rights C) Ball + Kobe is =eternal happiness...also i would video tape it and put it on facebook...chea

Kobe bryant will beat me 21 nothing...with his left hand...dun dun dun

YAWN
09-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Andrew Bynum. Tell him there's donut wiating for him in the lockerroom and I'll have a free path to the basket.

http://theswca.com/images-food/fruitloops.jpg

Jimmy2k8
09-27-2007, 06:25 PM
not true

sorry but OJ mayo would kill sasha vujactic is a game.

Of course OJ Mayo is going into college right now. Erm...I meant to say most high school players can't beat a nba player.

jo3y91
09-27-2007, 06:48 PM
id take on yao ming, pure lankiness not used 2 defending guards, fake a shot he goes jump go reverse n hit it.

GOBB
09-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Can Shaqn Bradley unretire? I'd give him 21 easily. :lol:

I'm picking Elton Brand. I can beat him in 1 on 1. Shouldnbt be a problem.

*Thread of the day!

:roll: Did you search NBA rosters/photos and pick the chump of the bunch?

GOBB
09-27-2007, 06:55 PM
1 on 1 would be completely unfair. i'd have to play 1 versus 5. i'd crush the spurs, because i live in an f'n fantasy land where people who don't play any kind of pro ball can whoop up on nba players like it's nothing. in fact you better skip the spurs and just build a dream team if you don't want to me to skunk these no talent chumps.

You're a complete and utter idiot. The Spurs? You realize Bruise Bones is on the team and you wanna go up against that? I'm sorry...when he kicks you in your f*cking face or rlls your ankle you'll know why I'm insulting you! :oldlol:

Valliant13
09-27-2007, 07:14 PM
I'd lose to most bad highschool players.

Chocogrease
09-27-2007, 07:15 PM
id play greg oden because he's injured and i would shoot some J's

I WANNA BE ON THE WIZARDS AND ASK ARENAS FOR ALL 20 OF HIS NEW SHOES COMING OUT

SCY
09-27-2007, 07:19 PM
I'd take David Wesley as well, about my size, not very athletic, doesn't seem to have a good jumper anymore. Probably lose by a lot.

PK3434
09-27-2007, 08:28 PM
I would pick Telfair or any small guard that can't shoot well. I would lay off of him and let him shoot and hopefully he is off. When I'm on offense, I honestly think I could hold my own because I am quick, a good shooter, and Telfair isn't a good defender. I have played against players of his caliber before. I would probably lose but out of 10 games I think I would win one.

Agent_Zero
09-27-2007, 09:59 PM
I'd take Kobe to school anyday, :pimp:

wang4three
09-27-2007, 10:10 PM
JJ Redick is the only guy I think I can beat if I get ball first. He's about my height, weight, and he's definitely not stronger than me. He is faster so he'll most likely win, but if I get ball first and my jumper is on, then I think I have a shot. I think.

Run&Gun=Fun
09-27-2007, 10:48 PM
I would pick Telfair or any small guard that can't shoot well. I would lay off of him and let him shoot and hopefully he is off. When I'm on offense, I honestly think I could hold my own because I am quick, a good shooter, and Telfair isn't a good defender. I have played against players of his caliber before. I would probably lose but out of 10 games I think I would win one.

Telfair would probably be one of the toughest one on one players in the league, he struggles in the team setting but one on one there is no way your beating him unless your a pro or near pro basketballer.

:oldlol: Man id love to watch you try beat Telfair.

Chuck Thou NBA
09-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Can Shaqn Bradley unretire? I'd give him 21 easily. :lol:

I'm picking Elton Brand. I can beat him in 1 on 1. Shouldnbt be a problem.

:roll: Did you search NBA rosters/photos and pick the chump of the bunch?

:lol: Yeah. Plus I saw him play one minute of a Heat game last season, he was scared as ****. But he did make a play of the year that was #7 I think in NBA.com's Plays of the Year Highlight Reels.

ForceOfNature
09-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Noone on here could beat ANY NBA players, even those who are shelved right now. I guarantee that Greg Oden, even in his current state, could beat everyone on here. The skill level of even the WORST NBA players is head and shoulders above any of ours...........it takes a special human being to defy the overwhelming odds of NOT making it.............I think the odds of going on The Price is Right and winning a corvette are probably better.........

Exactly, well said. :applause:

Se
09-28-2007, 08:52 AM
I'd take on Royal Ivey in what would be one of the most boring matchup's ever. He'd beat me about 21-11 over the course of 2 hours. haha

bjtrdff
09-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Obviously someone on the IR. Preferably someone in a wheelchair.

Are broomsticks allowed?

ForceOfNature
09-28-2007, 09:04 AM
*Thread of the day!

I think Chris Quinn would whoop your ass, whoever you are :oldlol: . Quinn can play, and he's not even one of the worst on his team.

kumquat
09-28-2007, 09:15 AM
I'd take my chances against damon jones.

candle_guy
09-28-2007, 09:20 AM
I reckon I can beat Wilt Chamberlain. 11-0 or maybe even 11-1.

kobe23
09-28-2007, 12:01 PM
:roll:

dejordan
09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
You're a complete and utter idiot. The Spurs? You realize Bruise Bones is on the team and you wanna go up against that? I'm sorry...when he kicks you in your f*cking face or rlls your ankle you'll know why I'm insulting you! :oldlol:
don't get a lot of sarcasm is your neck of the woods huh? i couldn't beat a junior high team 5 on 1, of course i'm not going to beat the spurs. lord. i thought you were one of the smart posters here.

Miller Time
09-28-2007, 12:53 PM
don't get a lot of sarcasm is your neck of the woods huh? i couldn't beat a junior high team 5 on 1, of course i'm not going to beat the spurs. lord. i thought you were one of the smart posters here.

I think GOBB also was sacrastic.

dejordan
09-28-2007, 01:03 PM
I think GOBB also was sacrastic.
sh!t. now i'm the a$$hole.

GOBB
09-28-2007, 06:27 PM

:no:

You would get both your ankles broken. Play off Telefair? Good luck. Keep thinking his jumper in the NBA is as bad as 1 on 1.

GOBB
09-28-2007, 06:32 PM
sh!t. now i'm the a$$hole.

:roll:

Jasper
09-28-2007, 07:00 PM
To put it simply - at one time or another I am sure you've seen a NBA player become bloody or lose a tooth.
Every NBA player probably would back you down , and after one play he would say sorry , didn't mean that ... while you are spitting blood or feeling a sharp pain in your chest from an elbow.

If malone was still playing a jump shot kick to the groin.

mongePR(kb24)
09-28-2007, 10:14 PM
i can beat bill russell any time of the day

DatZNasty
09-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Your best bet would be somebody who is a system player like a Damon Jones or David Wesley. Neither is an athlete, a known ballhandler (in fact if he has to bring the ball up under 1 on 1 pressure he backs down fullcourt and does that retarded kick), nor known for creating their own shots.

John Lucas the 3rd is entirely too quick and thusly the type of player who would be better in a 1 on 1 than he is in games.

Kevin Ollie and Mike Wilks are there as well.

Duck Rodgers
09-28-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't know....I'd probably take on Mark Madsen(is he still in the NBA?). I got basically a 3-4 week look at Madsen....while watching him play during the summertime at BYU a few years back....and he was just a pure brute. Him and Araujo went fists a few times....that was a great matchup to watch every day. Personally....I think I could force him to lose the ball a couple of times....and if my shot was on.....who knows?

I look at like this....most of us have probably lost to some scrub mother ****er in a game of 1-on-1....who just couldn't miss one day.....a total fluke....but it happened. The one kid I'm thinking of in particular that beat me.....I think the gap between me and him....is bigger than a lower-tier NBA player and myself....but that's just me.

brokenthumb
09-28-2007, 11:59 PM
I think i would take on Bo Outlaw as my first choice if i had to pick someone....he's made a career on energy but is gettin' old now. Second choice might be Dan Dickau. That fool can't play defense worth a damn!

Human Error
09-29-2007, 01:14 AM
NBA players are amazingly good, there is no chance that someone here could beat a current NBA player 1 on 1. You can beat Damon Jones? That's just flat out laughable, Jones will easily pickpocket your ball no matter who you are and he'll hit 10 straight buckets from beyond the arc. Kids these days...(shakes head)

Jakez On Point11
09-29-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm too young and short to give any player an actual challenge but if I had too i think that how i play i could score and possibly pull an upset on

Luther Head.

wally_world
09-29-2007, 10:44 AM
i'll play Earl Boykins 1v1... because he's the shorter of the only 2 NBA players that aren't taller than me! haha... and 1st to 11 wins (my stamina would be well distributed over 11pts, nothing more, nothing less) and 3-pointers = 2pts... i think if i beat him it will be by the smallest margin... i doubt i can win any NBA player 1v1...

bomber
09-29-2007, 12:27 PM
The below-average NBA player would kill anyone here.

Best bet is going with somebody who can't keep up with you and hoping you can knock down some shots and then get them to play up on you. Hopefully get a layup or two and pray they don't get the ball.

I'd take Michael Olowakandi or Jason Collins and hope that he couldn't keep up with me on the perimeter. That way if I hit 3-4 three balls he will cover me and I can get a floater or layup if I am lucky.

Guys like JJ Reddick and Damon Jones are so athletic looking but because they are playing against the world's top athletes they look like bums.

johndough
09-29-2007, 12:45 PM
The below-average NBA player would kill anyone here.

Best bet is going with somebody who can't keep up with you and hoping you can knock down some shots and then get them to play up on you. Hopefully get a layup or two and pray they don't get the ball.

I'd take Michael Olowakandi or Jason Collins and hope that he couldn't keep up with me on the perimeter. That way if I hit 3-4 three balls he will cover me and I can get a floater or layup if I am lucky.

Guys like JJ Reddick and Damon Jones are so athletic looking but because they are playing against the world's top athletes they look like bums.

Speak for yourself.

You can't really believe that (besides myself) nobody on this board can beat a NBA cat 1 v 1?

Lebron23
02-06-2012, 06:50 AM
I feel that I can beat the the current Greg Oden in a 1 on 1 game.

But seriously I want to play againts LeBron. He might destroy me, But it's going to be a memorable experience playing againts my favorite NBA player. I'll make sure I hit my jumpers, and I'll probably attempts a tear drop shot againts LBJ.

brisbaneman
02-06-2012, 06:52 AM
wow what a surprise, everyone choose white players to go up against

Clutch
02-06-2012, 06:56 AM
I feel that I can beat the the current Greg Oden in a 1 on 1 game.

But seriously I want to play againts LeBron. He might destroy me, But it's going to be a memorable experience playing againts my favorite NBA player. I'll make sure I hit my jumpers, and I'll probably attempts a tear drop shot againts LBJ.
You just need to hold on until the 4th quarter :roll:

alenleomessi
02-06-2012, 06:57 AM
im sure some guys would have said jeremy lin before that game

Lebron23
02-06-2012, 06:58 AM

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Rnbizzle
02-06-2012, 07:02 AM
I'll try and take on Kyle Korver.

Lebron23
02-06-2012, 07:06 AM
i'll play Earl Boykins 1v1... because he's the shorter of the only 2 NBA players that aren't taller than me! haha... and 1st to 11 wins (my stamina would be well distributed over 11pts, nothing more, nothing less) and 3-pointers = 2pts... i think if i beat him it will be by the smallest margin... i doubt i can win any NBA player 1v1...

Boykins is still a legit baller. Pick the current Spubb Webb or Mugsy Bogues. They are now fat and out of shape.

JD_TO
02-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Now i know none of you have played competitive basketball in your life if you think you can beat any NBA player. For the guy who picked Kyle Korver I hope you are like 6'9 because he is just going to shoot over you all day.

boxclever
02-06-2012, 07:27 AM

qft

KDthunderup
02-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Anthony Carter, I'm taller then him and he is 36 years old, he would probably still beat me but I reckon i would have the best shot against him.

boxclever
02-06-2012, 07:32 AM
I'd rep if I could lol

OmniStrife
02-06-2012, 07:36 AM
I'd pick Nash and tell him about the terms.

He's nice enough to let me win, plus I'd kill to play some bball with my idol.

strifed169
02-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Adam Morrison

pauk
02-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Kobe 1 on 1... ill go on a streak and hit all 3pters in a row... nothing he can do... then i will take his spot as a SG in LA and have all the kobetards be forced to worship me :D

jlitt
02-06-2012, 08:27 AM
it would be Ason Ki no J no D. end of story.

Jotaro Durant
02-06-2012, 10:19 AM
greg oden

lets go nikka

:basketball

NBASTATMAN
02-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Let The Games Begin

STEVE NASH, MILLER ON THE HEAT, DERON WILLIAMS

Harrison_Barnes
02-06-2012, 10:38 AM
:lol :lol

Andrei89
02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
LoL at some guy at the beginning saying Sascha Vujacic wouldnt sotp him from scoring in the paint.

Are these idiots on shrooms?

The weakest NBA player could dominate everyone on this forum.

burnsy87
02-06-2012, 10:44 AM

That is kind of asinine to think that no one here could have a legitimate size/length advantage on an NBA player. You've never lost to a player worse than you in 1 game before? They aren't playing 20 games. 1 game.

Personally, with me being only 5' 11 and only having a decent jumper, I would give myself no shot of beating any NBA player in a 1 on 1 game, but I'm sure there are people here who could do it with a little luck.

burnsy87
02-06-2012, 10:46 AM
JJ Redick is the only guy I think I can beat if I get ball first. He's about my height, weight, and he's definitely not stronger than me. He is faster so he'll most likely win, but if I get ball first and my jumper is on, then I think I have a shot. I think.

This is exactly my point. If someone matches up well size wise with a smaller guard, there is no reason they can't get hot in one game and hit a couple jumpers.

ILLsmak
02-06-2012, 10:49 AM
greg oden

lets go nikka

:basketball

haha, he'd be running over you toes with his wheel chair.

-Smak

Rake2204
02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I know this thread is tongue-in-cheek, but might there be anyone in the NBA who may have their NBA skills mitigated by a game of one-on-one? Through the years I've seen a fair number of "better players" lose to lesser ones in one-on-one due to either luck or someone's game not translating into a non-stop isolation battle.

Therefore, I'm somewhat intrigued by the Jason Collins suggestion. Right off the bat, I'm 99.9% confident we could eliminate any guard/forward from the running. Again, I know Sasha Vujacic was a joke but to be honest, all the guards in the NBA who are known as bad defenders are still top-notch defenders throughout the world. I picture even J.J. Redick suffocating the bejesus out of me if he really wanted to.

In contrast, the taller a player is, the more fluctuation there is in terms of necessary skill. Yes, Ben Wallace sometimes gets hot on his jumpers in warmups, but it still doesn't mean all NBA players are dead-eyes from 17 feet outward.

So, if we were playing a game of 1-on-1 to 11, without make-it-take-it, with a high school or college three point line, if I had to choose an NBA player to go against, I'd pick an oversized, slow, old, offensively inept (in the NBA) big man. The aforementioned Collins, even in the absence of any post moves, would be able to back me down as if I wasn't even there. I'd have to just hedge my bets that I'd somehow be able to escape his wingspan on offense long enough to crank up some triples.

Nash
02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
What a stupid thread and what delusional people there is in here :lol As if ya'll can beat any NBA player. You'd get your asses kicked so hard.

ImmortalD24
02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Brian Cook.

RRR3
02-06-2012, 10:59 AM
I know this thread is tongue-in-cheek, but might there be anyone in the NBA who may have their NBA skills mitigated by a game of one-on-one? Through the years I've seen a fair number of "better players" lose to lesser ones in one-on-one due to either luck or someone's game not translating into a non-stop isolation battle.

Therefore, I'm somewhat intrigued by the Jason Collins suggestion. Right off the bat, I'm 99.9% confident we could eliminate any guard/forward from the running. Again, I know Sasha Vujacic was a joke but to be honest, all the guards in the NBA who are known as bad defenders are still top-notch defenders throughout the world. I picture even J.J. Redick suffocating the bejesus out of me if he really wanted to.

In contrast, the taller a player is, the more fluctuation there is in terms of necessary skill. Yes, Ben Wallace sometimes gets hot on his jumpers in warmups, but it still doesn't mean all NBA players are dead-eyes from 17 feet outward.

So, if we were playing a game of 1-on-1 to 11, without make-it-take-it, with a high school or college three point line, if I had to choose an NBA player to go against, I'd pick an oversized, slow, old, offensively inept (in the NBA) big man. The aforementioned Collins, even in the absence of any post moves, would be able to back me down as if I wasn't even there. I'd have to just hedge my bets that I'd somehow be able to escape his wingspan on offense long enough to crank up some triples.
Hasn't JJ Redick become a good defender even by nba standards? :confusedshrug:

IGOTGAME
02-06-2012, 11:00 AM
What a stupid thread and what delusional people there is in here :lol As if ya'll can beat any NBA player. You'd get your asses kicked so hard.

I find it funny that on a basketball forum that you think it is funny that no one has actually played ball on a high level or with NBA players.

Rake2204
02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Hasn't JJ Redick become a good defender even by nba standards? :confusedshrug:
I have to be honest in saying I'm not quite sure how he's viewed as a defender right now. I just edited my post and stuck that part in there because I saw another poster reference Redick as his one-on-one choice.

You could be right (in that everyone here might lose) but I do think there might be a few NBA guys out there that might not be well-suited for one-on-one. I think it should be clearly noted that if a person happened to beat an NBA player in one-on-one, it wouldn't mean we'd be NBA ready or anywhere within that stratosphere. For all intensive purposes, it'd likely just mean we gave ourselves a chance to get lucky, and it happened.

NBA players are all incredible. They're the best of the best. That doesn't mean they're all equipped with the same skill set though. Like my Ben Wallace reference, a lot of folks seem to assume every single NBA player has an incredible 23 foot jump shot. On top of that, there seems to be the insinuation sometimes that even fat centers (Oliver Miller, fat Eddy Curry) are somehow magical speed runners with insane lateral quickness, just because they've played in the NBA.

Weird things happen in one-on-one. I have to admit I've played some scrubby, scruuuuuuuuuuuuuubby players in one-one-one, and they've hit shots they've had no business hitting, sometimes consecutively. There's been players very much below my skill level who had no business being competitive in a game of one-on-one, but the ball happens to bounce there way on a few possessions and bam, it's a ball game. Their skill level in comparison to mine would be exposed the minute a five-on-five game began, but here they are every now and again, getting lucky and hanging around in a game of one-on-one.

ImmortalD24
02-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Hasn't JJ Redick become a good defender even by nba standards? :confusedshrug: Yep. Redick has definitely been an above average defender since the 08-09 season.

DRose1899
02-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Anyone here that thinking they can beat Vujacic :facepalm
This guy isn't even that bad on NBA standard, n playing very decent at europe as starter, n you think u can beat him? get real.

RRR3
02-06-2012, 11:10 AM
This guy isn't even that bad on NBA standard, n playing very decent at europe as starter, n you think u can beat him? get real.
Yeah. Let's be honest, though, Brian Scalabrine and Luke Walton would seem like MJ and Kareem to any of us if we played them one-on-one. There's a reason they're in the NBA, you know. I mean, Scal, for all the jokes about him, did score 29 points in an NBA game, and Walton did have one decent year for the Lakers.

IGOTGAME
02-06-2012, 11:11 AM

I'll say it again. 2007 version of me vs. 2007 version of Sasha V., I win at least 25% of the time we play 1 on 1 games assuming we play traditional make it take it. I'm just too big, strong and skilled on block for someone of his size...same with most small NBA point guards.

BlueandGold
02-06-2012, 11:12 AM
For anyone who thinks they have a shot, they should go in for d-league tryouts, right now, because most likely even lower-roster d-league players could kill them at 1v1.

Rake2204
02-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Yeah. Let's be honest, though, Brian Scalabrine and Luke Walton would seem like MJ and Kareem to any of us if we played them one-on-one. There's a reason they're in the NBA, you know. I mean, Scal, for all the jokes about him, did score 29 points in an NBA game, and Walton did have one decent year for the Lakers.
Yeah, guys like Scalabrine, Walton, or any other 6'7''+ guy who likes to shoot threes seems like a horrible choice. They'd be extremely hard to score on due to their size and the fact they're mobile. Then they'd be extremely hard to defend due to the fact that their range extends out to over 24 feet.

RRR3
02-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I'll say it again. 2007 version of me vs. 2007 version of Sasha V., I win at least 25% of the time we play 1 on 1 games assuming we play traditional make it take it. I'm just too big, strong and skilled on block for someone of his size...same with most small NBA point guards.
Sasha Vujacic is a very good 3PT shooter. He's also 6'7. He'd destroy you.

BlueandGold
02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
That is why I said, I underestimated his height. But, I still think I'd be ok to win 1 out of 5 in 2007. I still don't think he is really 6"7 because he looks smaller than Kobe and Kobe is my height. But hey, its prob hard to grasp for someone looking at it from a far.

People are talking like they have never seen NBA talent. I grew up playing with NBA talent everyday. It's not as new. I have beaten players that have gone on to the NBA and have played some prominent roles on big teams. Doesn't mean you are better or even close, just means you had a little advantage in a small part of the game and hit shots.

No one is saying that you can't.. there's no way to know that just from looking at how you post. I'm just saying 100% of all NBA players are just exponentinally quicker, faster, stronger, better shooters, more fundamentally sound, insert any positive basketball skill/ability you want they are better than 99% of the population, which would be 99% of ISH.

Sure there's about %1 or even 0.1% of the population there somewhere who could have played NBA/college ball that didn't that MIGHT have a shot but even those players with that talent/ability level don't do NBA drills for hours a day as a job for years like any NBA player in the league does.

Rake2204
02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I've seen a thread similar to this before and I caught a lot of flak for posting the video below but I do think it can at least contribute to the discussion. It's a 6'4''-ish high school ball player from a middle-of-the-road conference (for which he seems to be an All-Conference player) taking on Chris Andersen in a game of one-on-one. Before, I think people thought I was trying to say the 6'4'' kid was really, really good. That's not it. Rather, I just thought he represented the "he aight" level of basketball talent. A good middle ground for people to get an idea of what it'd be like to play against an athletic NBA player in one-on-one. This is why I think for anyone to have a chance, they might be best served facing off against one of those oversized, immobile fellows that might not be able to close out in time or are susceptible to change of direction.

One-on-One vs. Birdman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py3-Ds7-gAs

No one is saying that you can't.. there's no way to know that just from looking at how you post. I'm just saying 100% of all NBA players are just exponentinally quicker, faster, stronger, better shooters, more fundamentally sound, insert any positive basketball skill/ability you want they are better than 99% of the population, which would be 99% of ISH.

I'll have to semi-object. Yes, NBA players are quicker than 99% of the population. But so are a lot people. The population has a lot of old, fat, out of shape folks. As a basketball player, I'd be destroyed by anyone on in the NBA. But that doesn't mean it'd because each of their physical attributes would be far superior to mine. To be completely brutally honest, I have to think I'm not alone in having some athletic attributes that are either on par or surpass that of NBA ball players.

For instance, take a look at these draft combine results: http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-athleticism-test-results. My one-step vert was officially measured at 29.5''. I'm not quite sure where that'd fit between no-step vert recordings and max-vert recordings, but considering my one step is higher than some people's max verts (maybe max verts are one step) that'd still mean I'm jumping higher than some NBA guys. Avery Bradley could only bench 185 two times (something I can definitely eclipse with relative ease). My 3/4 court sprint was also better than some, worse than others.

With all that said, every single person on that list is a better basketball player than me by leaps and bounds. I'm just trying to say they're not gods. They don't all magically develop 38'' verts with Olympic speed while hitting 20 three pointers in a row at the end of each practice. Jason Collins is not beating me in a foot race. Solomon Alabi is not beating me in a vertical jump contest. I'd also venture to say there'd be players that would lose to me in a shooting contest.

A number of NBA players (mostly of the big man variety) are not in the league due to their one-on-one isolation abilities. It has to do with their team concept, their ability to play help defense, box out, rebound, contest shots, etc. They all surely have great fundamental skills revolving around knocking down jumpers, but sometimes a lot of what makes a basketball player great can be mitigated in a game of one-on-one. One-on-one is a very small aspect of the entire game of basketball. So, if the pieces fit just right, I still believe there could be a chance for someone to slip through the cracks and take a game against just the right NBA ballplayer.

32Dayz
02-06-2012, 11:38 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/dg0a4p.jpg

I'd own this punk if we played in my park.

JMT
02-06-2012, 11:45 AM

This.

There's not 5 posters on the whole site that would have a chance to look anything but foolish vs Taurasi. (I know there are a couple that actually play higher level competitive ball; and that doesn't mean high school or juco).

Watched her absolutely work Darnell Dockett of the Cards one day. He's nothing special as a player, but is 6'4", 290 and thought he'd just post her up. Can't recall if he scored. She laughed at him throughout.

I'm an antique (53), but I'm a 6'7" antique who played D1, CBA, and went to two NBA camps. I've seen the difference between those guys and the best player at the open run at the Y. Spent 10 years getting called out by those guys thinking they'd make a name for themselves. Not even close.

drizzy0503
02-06-2012, 11:47 AM
this

HylianNightmare
02-06-2012, 12:43 PM
i'd play kobe just to say i got to play kobe, since there is no way i'm beating any nba or even a d-league player

pegasus
02-06-2012, 12:50 PM
I've beaten several young, athletic black guys (no racist, I said that because they're actually more gifted) in a 21 game, so I'd like to believe that I'd have a shot against someone like Chris Q. 1-on-1 is my specialty.

hawksdogsbraves
02-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Well technically Chris Quinn plays in Russia now so he's out. I'm sure he would destroy anyone in this thread though.

And as for Sasha Vujacic? They guy is 6'7 and has a great jumper. He would annihilate everyone here.

shallehalle
02-06-2012, 01:17 PM
you have to remember taht NBA players are much bigger in real life, much stronger and if they aren't that big, then they have an amazing speed, great shot, supreme handles and/or great defense, so there is no chance winning a NBA player playing till 21 points.

if you play till 7, then yeah maybe, because there is a possibility hitting 4 lucky shots, but i doubt anyone will have the stamina to compete with a NBA player playing till 11 or more points, if any NBA player takes it really seriously.

So no, no chance playing against NBA players if you play till 11 or more points.

vinvin01
02-06-2012, 01:59 PM
I'd take a superstar. Dwight, Lebron, Kobe, somebody like that.

Why ? Cause even in my dream I wouldn't be able to score any point. So if I'm loosing, I'd rather remember that day as the day I played against a superstar. Who wants to tell his kids he played again Sasha Vujacic ? :lol

Nash
02-06-2012, 02:08 PM
This must be the most stupid thread on ISH.

NO. FECKIN'. WAY

No. Quinn would beat you, Adam Morrison would destroy all of you, Scalabrine would even retired players still in the NBA like Kevin McHale would eat you alive.

HurricaneKid
02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
I've always fared well at 1on1. Have beat my fare share of college players. But NBA is a whole other deal guys. Guys you think have zero game outside of their specialty are godlike at things you thought they couldn't do.

Scholar
02-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Hmm... Tough question to answer. Every NBA player is part of a collective group of the best ballers in the world. None of them are there by accident. They've all proven their worth in different levels, such as collegiate, high school or international, even if they haven't made much noise on an NBA professional level yet.

With that said, I don't think I could say with 100% confidence that I'd be able to ball up any specific NBA athlete. I'm 5'10", 147 lbs. Chances are I'd be too small to defend any of these guys in the post, where I'm sure they'd all want to take advantage of whatever height difference we'd have.

I think I'd want to play against someone like Steve Blake, Derek Fisher or any other 30+ year old point guard who is slowing down significantly due to age. Why? Because I'm sure I could outrun them, and if that's the case, I would have a good time running past these guys straight for easy lay-ups at the basket.

Score? I can't say it'd be a blowout with confidence. I'd probably lose, too, but it'd be worth a shot.

Clutch
02-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Those guys play in the NBA for a reason.

If you think you could beat one of the best players on the Earth you're fooling yourself.

I think I'd want to play against someone like Steve Blake, Derek Fisher or any other 30+ year old point guard who is slowing down significantly due to age. Why? Because I'm sure I could outrun them, and if that's the case, I would have a good time running past these guys straight for easy lay-ups at the basket.

Fisher might look slow because he's playing with one of the best and fastest athletes in the world.
I'm pretty sure even him would blow by you without many problems.

Fact that all of you ignore is that those players look bad when they play against elite competition.
But put the biggest scrub in the NBA into a pickup game at the park and he would look amazing,so much better than anyone else.

wang4three
02-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Plenty of instances where regular common joes score and sometimes beat NBA players. It happens. They're the best in the world, but they're not supermen.

mayo'sgrizz
02-06-2012, 02:38 PM
for me personally i think steve blake and jeremy lin are 2 id hang with. based on size, speed, shooting abiltity, and defensive tendencies.

Rake2204
02-06-2012, 02:59 PM
I maintain the best chance for a regular fellow to luck into a win would be to play against a large, immobile center without a history of being competent on the offensive end. Suggesting Steve Blake might be someone's best chance seems wildly off base. As others have said, he and Fisher might appear slow in the NBA, but only in comparison to lightning quick guards. Blake and Fisher would be virtually unstoppable against a similarly sized 6'3'' regular opposition.

I even feel a guy like Paul Shirley would give all of us the business because as slow as you feel he may be, he's gritty and is more than competent from the perimeter. Just what you'd need right? A 6'10'' NBA player who can shoot over you whenever he wants.

Plenty of instances where regular common joes score and sometimes beat NBA players. It happens. They're the best in the world, but they're not supermen.
On the other hand, I agree with this too. The folks suggesting they'll choose someone like Derek Fisher "because he's slow" are delusional. However, just the same, the folks believing every single NBA player would utterly destroy us in every single game of 1-on-1 we ever played may also be a little off the mark in my opinion. Every squirrel finds a nut. Right day, right bit of luck, something could work out favorably in our advantage.

To be clear, are we assuming the games would be to 11 by ones and twos? An important caveat may be whether we're playing make-it-take-it or not. If not, some lucky two-pointers might be able to counteract an NBA opponent's unstoppable nature on offense.

Scholar
02-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Fisher might look slow because he's playing with one of the best and fastest athletes in the world.
I'm pretty sure even him would blow by you without many problems.

Fact that all of you ignore is that those players look bad when they play against elite competition.
But put the biggest scrub in the NBA into a pickup game at the park and he would look amazing,so much better than anyone else.

Yeah, I already know this, but if I had to choose between any player in the league today to play against, it'd most likely be Fisher, just because I think the age factor would be a benefit for me.

Clutch
02-06-2012, 03:09 PM
I doubt NBA players give their 100% against some amateur from the street.

Many of them don't even give 100% against NBA competition :lol

Cowboy Thunder
02-06-2012, 03:25 PM
21-0
ROCKETS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3sMpw7kKIE

Here's a vid of John Lucas III hitting the winning shot to put OSU in the Final Four.

All he's done since that is play straight hoops for 5 years. I'm sure you could beat him. :oldlol: :oldlol:

BarberSchool
02-06-2012, 03:38 PM
This must be the most stupid thread on ISH.

NO. FECKIN'. WAY

No. Quinn would beat you, Adam Morrison would destroy all of you, Scalabrine would even retired players still in the NBA like Kevin McHale would eat you alive.I'm Derrick Coleman @sswipe. I'll eat all those you listed alive.

7_cody
02-06-2012, 03:40 PM
I've watched Marc Gasol hit 11 3's in a row in warmups. I've seen Kobe make 3 LEFT HANDED half court shots in a row (this one is available on Youtube, didn't see it live).

I'm pretty sure that I can beat 90% of the posters on the internet in real life. I would have absolutely no chance against even Derek Fisher, 1 on 1. No chance against any NBA player. I'd get destroyed so hard. I'd be happy to get an open dunk or make a couple lucky shots.

Some poster said something about NBA players are godlike at things we think they can't do in warmups/shootarounds or pickup games. I agree.

The worst NBA players are incredible basketball players.

7_cody
02-06-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm Derrick Coleman @sswipe. I'll eat all those you listed alive.

Then you'd qualify you as an ex-NBA player and not the average internet poster

04mzwach
02-06-2012, 03:43 PM
I got Barea. He's small and I may not be able to gaurd him that great, but I think I can score on him. Plus, he isn't as insanely athletic as other smaller players in the league.

7_cody
02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
I got Barea. He's small and I may not be able to gaurd him that great, but I think I can score on him. Plus, he isn't as insanely athletic as other smaller players in the league.

He's still athletic enough to penetrate any NBA defense and throw it down in traffic

IGOTGAME
02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3sMpw7kKIE

Here's a vid of John Lucas III hitting the winning shot to put OSU in the Final Four.

All he's done since that is play straight hoops for 5 years. I'm sure you could beat him. :oldlol: :oldlol:

he is just too small.

04mzwach
02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
He's still athletic enough to penetrate any NBA defense and throw it down in traffic
I was thinking of guys like Nate Robinson...I know for a fact he would kill me.

dunksby
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
I will play Lebron in the 4th

You know you laughed at it dont fool yourself

JustinJDW
02-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Plenty of instances where regular common joes score and sometimes beat NBA players. It happens. They're the best in the world, but they're not supermen.This.

Doesn't anyone remember when Devin Harris got balled up by some white kid in a sweater vest?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysv3v7uXblw

I think its definitely possible. I know I couldn't cause I'm only 5'10 but I know some people at my park that can definitely play. You're trying to tell me that some muscular 6'4 streetballer cat that weighs 240, benches near 300, fast as lighting and a streaky jumper, can't take on someone like freaking Steve Blake or Chris Quinn? 30+ 6'1 whiteboy who are like a buck 60 and are slow as shit, and can't defend a stationary rock?

One vs. One and NBA team basketball are two completely different sports, and guys like Blake and Quinn aren't in the league because they can play 1 vs. 1. I'm not trying to sound crazy, but I'm just trying to say that there are indeed some bottom of the barrel un-athletic players who could probably be take to school by the genetic freaks that hang on the courts all day. Because that's what 1 vs. 1 pretty much is. Just pure athleticism.

Dictator
02-06-2012, 04:15 PM
d.fisher /

Kiarip
02-06-2012, 04:22 PM
I think I can beat Fisher tbh.

I am much faster than him, only slightly shorter, have similar wingspan, more hops...

He'd probably post me up though =/

IGOTGAME
02-06-2012, 04:27 PM
d.fisher /

one of the guards I would want no part of playing. There are no refs in one on one and he is strong as hell and would foul the shit out of you.

Fiasco
02-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Len Bias.

OhNoTimNoSho
02-06-2012, 04:43 PM
The worst D1 college player would beat anyone on this message board.

TRUTHTM brought to you by common sense.

Pushxx
02-06-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm 6'. I'm a legit baller but obviously people need to get real if they think they can beat NBA talent. Every single player in the NBA is at least one of the 1000 best basketball players in the world.

Mike Bibby or Anthony Carter would be my choice because they are one of the very few players who couldn't strip me easily and I can definitely beat them in speed.

Rake2204
02-06-2012, 05:04 PM

That would definitely depend upon what you mean by "beat". Do you mean the worst D1 player would beat anyone on this board every single time they played one another? They'd beat us some of the time? A lot of the time?

My experience with NBA players is extremely limited (see: none) but I have played amongst and against division 1 basketball players as well as minor league ball players. And while I have no problem admitting they were all quite skilled, it definitely wasn't a situation where they dropped it on me all day every day. I could undoubtedly defeat the worst D1 college player in a game of one-on-one, as well as many others.

I think people are twisting up the hypothetical a little bit. The question isn't, "Do you believe you are as good as an NBA basketball player?" or "Do you think you're as good as the worst D1 player?" If we were as good as the worst NBA basketball player, we'd probably be in the NBA. The question's not even, "If you were to play in an NBA game, do you think you'd be able to outperform your matchup?" I feel that would be quite far-fetched in itself.

Instead, the question is, "Is there anyone you think you could beat in a game of 1-on-1? If so, who?" 1-on-1 is by no means an honest assessment of one's true and full basketball skills. Rather, it's a semi-assessment of a specific set of skills. I say semi-assessment because the winner is not always the player with the most ability. How many times have posters here shot a corner triple in one-on-one, had it bounce off the far iron then watched the defender chase it down to the opposite three point line and shoot a quick three in response before you could close out? Does that mean that player's better? Nope, could it happen? Yep.

My 16 year old brother has never defeated me in a game of one-on-one. It so happens he's not yet in my same stratosphere of skill level. Namely, he is a sieve on defense. I score at will. However, there have still been days when some things just ... happen. The shots I normally hit, miss. The shots he normally misses, hit. And before you know it, I'm scraping out a one-point win. Does it mean I'm only one point better than my brother? No way. Would it still be possible for him to scratch one out? Definitely.

And yes, us playing an NBA player is not the same as my little brother playing me. That wasn't the point. The point is sometimes things can shake out to the advantage of the underdog in a random game of one-on-one.

I used to have a 5'10'' end-of-bench shooting guard in my program who'd always try to challenge every player possible at the end of practice or open gym to a game of one-on-one. You might be saying, "Well good, he's looking to improve his game." That wasn't his motivation. Rather, he loved playing because at some point, it was a game of chance. He knew there was always that possibility if he caught the right guy on the wrong day, he could chance out a win and then insinuate later that he should start because he just beat our leading scorer in one-on-one (even if that leading scorer had defeated him the previous 30 meetings).

outbreak
02-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Dwight Howard in a free throw contest.

Rake2204
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Dwight Howard in a free throw contest.
I'm quite confident a free throw contest would open the flood gates. Contrary to where one-on-one would require a lot of luck and an admittance of greatly inferior skill, I can say with confidence I am a better free throw shooter than many NBA players and could defeat them in a contest.

Dictator
02-06-2012, 05:20 PM

ummm no. You have a stiff image of most posters being fat unathletic slobs who do nothing all day.

How do you know there aren't dwight howard sized posters with 40' verticals who are good at basketball posting at this site right now?

I'm pretty sure I could atleast beat 5 nba players out of the whole nba.

knickswin
02-06-2012, 05:23 PM
I would pick a big, slow center I could run around. I'd probably lose anyway because he would just get open dunks every time unless I could get him to pick up his dribble. But there's no way I'm beating anyone else.

Rake2204
02-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I would pick a big, slow center I could run around. I'd probably lose anyway because he would just get open dunks every time unless I could get him to pick up his dribble. But there's no way I'm beating anyone else.
Yep, that's why I was thinking Jason Collins. But to be truthful, as I began looking at pictures of Collins, heavy doubt began to creep back in. He is a big, long-armed dude. I would have 0.000% chance of stopping him on the block. I'd have to hope he decided to be a gamer and try to face me up with some jumpers, then hope they missed off iron at which point I'd hope I could catch him at least minimally off guard on the possession change.

Still though. He's a large mass of man.
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2000/08/17/sports/artc.jpg

Pushxx
02-06-2012, 05:33 PM
People who choose anything other than a guard is kidding themselves. Anybody taller than you will back you down relentlessly and you can't stop them because every NBA player is so much stronger than anyone here.

They will treat you like they are prime Shaq.

knickswin
02-06-2012, 05:37 PM
People who choose anything other than a guard is kidding themselves. Anybody taller than you will back you down relentlessly and you can't stop them because every NBA player is so much stronger than anyone here.

I'd make him play full court and then apply as much ball pressure as I could. if he makes it to the block I'm screwed though.

Yanch856
02-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Reminds me of Jeremy Lin outplaying John Wall at Summer camp to get a contract with GSW. He was undrafted.

Rake2204
02-06-2012, 05:43 PM

Any ability to win is based on my two-for-one theory. I'd have to be hopeful that we weren't playing make-it-take-it and I could somehow manage to hit a bomb here or there to allow me to keep some sort of pace because I completely agree on my inability to stop virtually any NBA player if they wanted to post me up for the entire game.

I'd also be hedging my bets that someone like Collins might try to only go to the post 75% of the time, as I mentioned before. Sometimes it seems even when big guys know they'd have an advantage if they posted the entire game in one-on-one, they still opt not to, if only to take advantage of their opportunity to try other things.

HurricaneKid
02-06-2012, 05:44 PM

I doubt this. There are 321 teams and all have walk-ons, etc. I know there are several cats in here that could beat a 19 yr old walk-on on a bad Sun-Belt team.

As I said before though, NBA is WAY different.

You could say I'd play Kyle Korver. He is a terrible defender. And if 3s only count as one I am on my way. The problem is that Korver is a terrible defender at the two against the speediest basketball players in the world. And he doesn't drive in the NBA because his specialized skill is worth a lot and thats to stand 24' from the hoop and shoot. It turns out he is 6'7" and a LOT faster than anyone around here and can drive just fine when D12 and the like aren't standing in his way. I played with a borderline HoF when he was on his way to the league. The difference between him and big time D1 players was enormous and shocking.

ImmortalNemesis
02-06-2012, 05:45 PM
ummm no. You have a stiff image of most posters being fat unathletic slobs who do nothing all day.

How do you know there aren't dwight howard sized posters with 40' verticals who are good at basketball posting at this site right now?

I'm pretty sure I could atleast beat 5 nba players out of the whole nba.

No, you couldn't beat anyone in the NBA. That is fact. ISH usually does this, they underrate NBA players. Chuck Hayes, a guy who can't a free throw to save his life, shoots 3s like they were layups in practice. NBA scrubs struggle because they're going against the best players in the world. Those same NBA scrubs would beat you and anyone here 9/10 without even trying. lol @ thinking you can beat an NBA player.

Rake2204
02-06-2012, 05:58 PM
No, you couldn't beat anyone in the NBA. That is fact. ISH usually does this, they underrate NBA players. Chuck Hayes, a guy who can't a free throw to save his life, shoots 3s like they were layups in practice. NBA scrubs struggle because they're going against the best players in the world. Those same NBA scrubs would beat you and anyone here 9/10 without even trying. lol @ thinking you can beat an NBA player.
This is going to sound like I'm channeling Jim Carrey in Dumb & Dumber but your 9/10 comment is saying there's a chance, and that's all I'm saying. Something weird can happen along the lines. The dude I chose (Jason Collins) might have dump-trucked me 99 consecutive games of one-on-one. But maybe on that 100th game (or 10th), a series of things come together in my favor and I steal one.

I'm just saying that my preliminary reasoning believes a matchup with a slow, one-point scoring big versus a two-point gunning person like I'd have to probably be to keep pace would result in the best chance. On the contrary, even though I'm between 6'3'' and 6'4'', I'd want nothing to do with NBA guards of similar size. I've defended small minor league guards who made me feel like my feet were lodged in cement blocks. I imagine it could only get worse from there.

Timmy D for MVP
02-06-2012, 06:05 PM

Okay... I can't just let this go: Chuck Hayes is a career 60% FT shooter and in the last two years after he changed his motion is around 67%. Not great but not the worst either.

But yeah I think people are underrating on critical aspect, whoever you pick will be the best defender you have every played against in your life. Using Chuck as an example since we're talking about him, not considered the most offensive guy, but none of us would score on him without a bit of luck if he's going all out.

Okay bad example, one of the best defenders in the league, lets take a scrub anyone of them will be the best defender you have ever faced. Remember they play in the NBA which means they are at least competent enough defending the best players in the world that a team is paying them a large sum of money. You are not anywhere near the level of the players they face regularly.

Anyone will be able to shut you down. Not to mention that they are fit beyond reason. Maga might have a chance against a handful of players, but I'd wager about 99.5% of ISHers would have zero chance.

305Baller
02-06-2012, 06:11 PM

Let The Games Begin

Who's the shortest player in the league? I will take that guy on hehehehe

scm5
02-06-2012, 06:15 PM
I would probably pick someone like Andrew Goudelock.

He's not that tall, athletic, or quick, but has a great stroke. The problem is, if it's an off night for him and I'm on, I might actually stand a slight chance. Especially Goudelock because he seems pretty confident in his shot and might decide to take some long range shots.

Not saying I would have a good chance, but that's how I would play my odds. Hope he's off and I'm on.

305Baller
02-06-2012, 06:18 PM

I would love to try though. I am not mystified!!

(famous last words hehe)

Dictator
02-06-2012, 06:24 PM

you're stupid. I could be a world class athlete and basketball god. Just because you're in the nba doesn't mean anyone not in it can't beat you. There are many who could of been in the nba but failed, not because of talent, but because of violence, partying, drugs, and stuff like that. I'm 6'4 with a 32' vert, I play ball all the time, I'm pretty sure I could beat atleast 5 people in the nba.

You act as if the ppl in the nba are gods:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

demons2005
02-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Sorry but there's no way one of us can beat an NBA player whos taller than us. To me the obvious choice is a PG who relies too much on the P&R like Calderon or Paul

305Baller
02-06-2012, 06:25 PM
you're stupid. I could be a world class athlete and basketball god. Just because you're in the nba doesn't mean anyone not in it can't beat you. There are many who could of been in the nba but failed, not because of talent, but because of violence, partying, drugs, and stuff like that. I'm 6'4 with a 32' vert, I play ball all the time, I'm pretty sure I could beat atleast 5 people in the nba.

You act as if the ppl in the nba are gods:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

clearly this.

Jameerthefear
02-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Sorry but there's no way one of us can beat an NBA player whos taller than us. To me the obvious choice is a PG who relies too much on the P&R like Calderon or Paul
Um. Paul and Calderon would dominate.

Rake2204
02-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Um. Paul and Calderon would dominate.
Yup, I feel like those would be horrible choices. Those guys are not in the NBA due to their body proportions. They're there because their skill levels are insanely, off-the-charts high. Probably not the first guys you'd want to try to chance out a lucky victory against.

knickswin
02-06-2012, 06:49 PM
there is NO way any of us would have a chance against Chris Paul or Jose Calderon. They're like infinity times more skilled.

EDIT: I think you're better off going against someone against whom you at least have a mismatch you can exploit.

305Baller
02-06-2012, 06:50 PM
cue the music ladies and gents....

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/171100_o.gif

ta ta tatata tatata ta ta.....

:D

DJmicah
02-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Eddy Curry
http://ology.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/post-image/eddy.curry__1.jpg

305Baller
02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
I'd love to go against Wade, Kobe , Pierce any of those dudes... just to see the moves up close and try to counter them.

Bron is just so darn big though....

http://heatbball.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/lj1.gif

JMT
02-06-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm 6'4 with a 32' vert, I play ball all the time, I'm pretty sure I could beat atleast 5 people in the nba.

Unless you're currently getting paid to play or are excelling in D1, you're delusional.

Mach_3
02-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Eddy Curry
http://ology.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/post-image/eddy.curry__1.jpg

What are you gonna do when that 6'9/however tall guy starts backing you down from the 3pt line? Only to inevitably shoot right over you everytime?

(e)
02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
I play Derrick Rose or Kirk Hinrich because there is no way I'm beating anyone in the NBA lol.

I'd play Eric Maynor or someone who's sidelined due to season ending surgery or something and maybe have a slight chance.

Kobr
02-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I think I could beat Luke Walton. For real.

305Baller
02-06-2012, 07:58 PM

What about Scalabrine?

Kobr
02-06-2012, 07:59 PM
What about Scalabrine?

No, I'd get murdered. Too much power.

7_cody
02-06-2012, 07:59 PM

Luke would post of us down for the easy shot every time, and block or alter the majority of ours. He's better than you think

returnofthemack
02-06-2012, 08:01 PM
i would go up against D12. i would whoop his arse. 20 to 10. after i mop the floor with his soft chump ass i would move onto my 10 dayer with the cavs where i would play so well that for the next 15 years (im 28 yes im that good) i would dominate

c3z4r
02-06-2012, 08:02 PM

don't forget he was leading the nba in 3pt % at some point, besides the fact that he's 6'7

SAKOTXA
02-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Lol at some of you. The chances of you in beating an NBA are in in a thousand.

I played high school ball and was the division MVP for 2 straight years and i admit that NBA players are on another level. The only ones i think i might have a chance against are probably John Lucas, Fisher.

Orlando Magic
02-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Chris Duhon... I could probably make that happen.

nightprowler10
02-06-2012, 08:40 PM

-Eddy Curry. I'll get him tired in no time. Or just put a big mac on the bench.

-21-5, if the big mac trick works.

-A team I'll actually get to play in. Maybe the Nets.

305Baller
02-07-2012, 01:18 AM
When Kobe turns 45 and I am about the same age (I'm 33 now), I will face him and beat him... remember my words hahahahahha

In fact I will face any ex-NBA player @ anytime.

JORDAN INCLUDED

The Choken One
02-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Lol...no one on this site would beat anyone in the NBA.

Just saying.

dude77
02-07-2012, 05:45 AM

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc494/steelermia/delusional-disorder-grandiose-type.jpg

dude77
02-07-2012, 06:11 AM
cue the music ladies and gents....

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/171100_o.gif

ta ta tatata tatata ta ta.....

:D

:roll: this is what I was trying to come up with .. we got a lot of ambitious err delusional folks in this thread

Qwertyazerty
02-07-2012, 06:16 AM
This.

Doesn't anyone remember when Devin Harris got balled up by some white kid in a sweater vest?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysv3v7uXblw

All I can see is Devin Harris not even jumping for his jump shot and playing lazy D. Are we assuming NBA players will not give their best???

trig
02-07-2012, 06:26 AM
My only chance to win is in a free throw shooting contest vs some scrub center

shallehalle
02-07-2012, 06:38 AM
All I can see is Devin Harris not even jumping for his jump shot and playing lazy D. Are we assuming NBA players will not give their best???
he was lazy on his first shot, but second time on D, he tried and because that white guy had really nice handles, he had to step back a little bit, so i was waiting for him to shoot a jumped, but instead he went between Harris legs and a reverse lay up. that was a really nice move, but as i posted previously, he wouldn't be able to continue like that playing till 11 or more points.

Fiasco
02-07-2012, 06:42 AM
If LeBron and I were playing in the 4th quarter, I'd be pretty confident.

PistolPete44
02-07-2012, 07:08 AM
I would kill wilt chamberlain
he is from the 60s and basketball sucks back then

SacJB Shady
02-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Do you guys think you can beat any WNBA players? Man i would actually get turned on losing to one lol

B-Easy8
02-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Every NBA player would destroy me except Fisher, im 90% sure that I could beat him. I would win 21-17 then go to the Bobcats as I could probably get a starting spot on that scrub ass team.