PDA

View Full Version : Jason Maxiell or Paul Milsap

Mr_Basketball#1
10-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Which of these players do you think will have a better NBA career???

Jason Maxiell
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/nbaactionphotos/chigm1maxielltyrus.jpg

Paul Milsap
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s134/truegswarrior/gsg1sjax.jpg

kobelamarjackson
10-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Maxiell

elz
10-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Maxiell has a better chance of playing heavy minutes

but I think Millsap has the most potential
but in Utah he's not getting minutes behind Boozer and Okur

FPower
10-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Being a Piston fan I've seen plenty of Maxiel and think he'll likely end up being an excellent bench player. Possibly a 6th man of th year type guy. I doubt he'll ever become a quality starter due to his tweener status.

Now we need someone who knows Milsap well enough to make an educated prediction.

boozehound
10-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Maxiell has a better chance of playing heavy minutes

but I think Millsap has the most potential
but in Utah he's not getting minutes behind Boozer and Okur
hes the first big off the bench at both spots. Max has never had that luxury due to the outstanding bigman depth of recent pistons teams. Both very solid players. From what Ive seen, Maxiell is slightly more undersized and a much more explosive athlete, whereas Milsap is a better rebounder. Id take either one on my team.

elz
10-08-2007, 03:58 PM
hes the first big off the bench at both spots. Max has never had that luxury due to the outstanding bigman depth of recent pistons teams. Both very solid players. From what Ive seen, Maxiell is slightly more undersized and a much more explosive athlete, whereas Milsap is a better rebounder. Id take either one on my team.

Maxiell Only has one potential allstar infront of him
Mcdyess has half a foot out of the door in Detriot
Not sure if Webber returned but given Webbers injury history his minutes will be limited

Maybe its me but I feel like if he elevates his level of play
he can get those minutes and steal time from the aging starters infront of him
But Millsap is not stealing minutes from Boozer or Okur

especially if its a close game forget it
elevating his game or play won't be enough
he gonna actually have to be better than those 2 to steal time from them

can't front though I do have a bias for Millsap
he's a beast

boozehound
10-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Maxiell Only has one potential allstar infront of him
Mcdyess has half a foot out of the door in Detriot
Not sure if Webber returned but given Webbers injury history his minutes will be limited

Maybe its me but I feel like if he elevates his level of play
he can get those minutes and steal time from the aging starters infront of him
But Millsap is not stealing minutes from Boozer or Okur

especially if its a close game forget it
elevating his game or play won't be enough
he gonna actually have to be better than those 2 to steal time from them

can't front though I do have a bias for Millsap
he's a beast

sure. I was talking about what has happened not what may happen this year. Millsap avg. 18 mins a game as a rookie and played in 82 games. maxiell avg 6 mins over 26 games as a rookie and 14 mins over 67 games as a soph. So far, there have been more minutes for millsap because the fronctcourt depth isnt there in Utah (just two very solid starters) whereas the pistons have had the wallaces, dice, dale davis, nazr, webber in front of Maxiell.

as you have rightly said, this should change this year.

loot
10-08-2007, 04:17 PM
never understood why milsapp was drafted so low. people still overrate length. he had what, 16 rebounds a game, in college during his last year?

Da KO King
10-08-2007, 05:30 PM
never understood why milsapp was drafted so low. people still overrate length. he had what, 16 rebounds a game, in college during his last year?
He has no skill outside of rebounding and offensively looks as though he's trying to find new ways to miss shots.

KempSonics
10-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Millsap has the size advantage. I believe Maxiell is 6'6 but as a wingspan that's like 7'2 and has ridiculous explosiveness. The thing I like about Maxiell is his attitude. Once he's in the game he goes 100% and tries to dunk everything on everyone but he's also developed a solid face up jumper and some post moves. Millsap seems like he's probably a legit 6'8, with a lot of strength and a very solid rebounder. I like both players.

Bricklayer
10-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Well, I've watched Millsap's every game including this summer's Rocky Mountain Revue league (where he took league MVP). Despite being such a defensive presence, he's actually an efficient scorer. He's becoming more like the AK47 of old... getting most (or all) of his points on putbacks and hustle. He has a decent midrange shot as well. Apparently, during one game last season when Boozer was injured, he had like 20 points and 10 rebounds. Jerry Sloan mentioned after the game that he never ran a single play for Millsap.

I've only seen Maxiell play a few times, but I like what I see from him too. He seems like a real beast. It's tough to say who will have the better career, but Millsap is going to get his minutes... no matter how good Boozer and Okur are. Sloan will put him in at the 3 if he has to. Sloan recently said something like, "We've got to get Millsap on the floor as much as possible."

BankShot
10-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Milsap is much more proven on both the college and highschool levels

geeWiz15
10-08-2007, 07:12 PM
same goddam player...

LBJ 4 MVP
10-08-2007, 07:17 PM
He has no skill outside of rebounding and offensively looks as though he's trying to find new ways to miss shots.
Actually, if you watched the summer league this year, you would notice that Millsap has improved every part of his game.
His rebounding is among the best of PF's.
He can dish the ball at times.
He can block shots well.
He has vastly improved his mid range jump shot, and even his 3 point shot( in which he hit a 3 point game winner in one game) and his post up game, this kid is going to explode this year.

Millsap is the clearcut choice for me here.

Da KO King
10-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Actually, if you watched the summer league this year, you would notice that Millsap has improved every part of his game.
His rebounding is among the best of PF's.
He can dish the ball at times.
He can block shots well.
He has vastly improved his mid range jump shot, and even his 3 point shot( in which he hit a 3 point game winner in one game) and his post up game, this kid is going to explode this year.

Millsap is the clearcut choice for me here.
Millsap is by no means a bum. However, he really does look like he's creating misses for himself. He'll jump into defenders when he should lean away, he'll fade-away when he can go straight up. He just finds different ways to subtract from his offense game.

G-train
10-08-2007, 09:06 PM
same goddam player...
what team does he play for when Detroit plays Utah?
:confusedshrug:

geeWiz15
10-08-2007, 10:10 PM
what team does he play for when Detroit plays Utah?
look at the NBA schedule more closely and you'll notice that Detroit never plays Utah and the 2 teams never overlap.

it's the greatest conspiracy in sports history

Heretik32
10-09-2007, 02:57 AM

Let me guess, you've never even seen him play, have you?

Chalkmaze
10-09-2007, 03:19 AM
They've been practicing with Millsap at the small forward position... He acted like he didn't like it too much so far, but that's because he doesn't know the plays yet.

I don't know the other player well enough... but I think they'll find Millsap minutes... more of a 6th man role though, at least for a while

Millsap is gonna be a very good player in this league, and people are going to be surprised to find out he has an offensive game too.

04mzwach
10-09-2007, 03:22 AM
why isn't craig smith in this thread? he's similar and just as good if not better a player as well as a rookie last season.

04mzwach
10-09-2007, 03:23 AM
offensively, craig smith will be the better player. he has a sweet jump shot, along with a hook that rolls in every time. he's a hard knock player just like milsap with better offensive game. second round pick my ass!

04mzwach
10-09-2007, 03:33 AM
Maxiell: 5ppg, 2.8rpg, 14.1mpg
Milsap: 5.9ppg, 4.4rpg, 18mpg
Smith: 7.4ppg, 5.1rpg, 18.7mpg (he also played with the best rebounder in the game, a great offensive rebounder)

if you've seen him play, you know he's higher talent than the other two. he reminds me of charles barkley with a sweeter jump shot and even stronger and more athletic.

DeuceWallaces
10-09-2007, 03:35 AM
How many games did each player appear in?

luigi>mario
10-09-2007, 03:51 AM
06-07 season

Milsap (rookie)
82 games, 1 start
6.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 18.0 mpg
.8 spg, .9bpg

Maxiel (2nd year, his rookie stats aren't as good)
67 games, 7 starts
5.0 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 14.1 mpg
.4 spg, .9 bpg

Smith (rookie)
82 games, 5 starts
7.4 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 18.7 mpg
.6 spg, .2 bpg

I love Milsap. I saw him play in the summer league in person multiple times. His offense is improving, he had some game winers in the summer league, but he is still very awkward looking. In the NBA i don't think he will ever be more than the 4th option on the floor.

However, he makes his presence known better than most anyone. He defends anyone and comes up with the ball, he rebounds any bounce cause he's fast and has instincts, and is quick up and down the floor. His putbacks and fast breaks will be his offense with an ocasional post move or jump shot.

As for the others, can't say I have seen a lot of em.

Se
10-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Smith: 7.4ppg, 5.1rpg, 18.7mpg (he also played with the best rebounder in the game, a great offensive rebounder)

Smith had no other rebounders on his team except KG. Millsap has to compete with Boozer, AK47 and Okur.

if you've seen him play, you know he's higher talent than the other two. he reminds me of charles barkley with a sweeter jump shot and even stronger and more athletic.

So we should expect Craig Smith to better Charles Barkley's career? :ohwell:

luigi>mario
10-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Maxiell: 5ppg, 2.8rpg, 14.1mpg

Dude, where'd you get your numbers???? NBA.com has some different ones...:no:

geeWiz15
10-10-2007, 03:34 PM
didn't he play in a meager conference in college? that could explain it. it's his rookie year. his college career was spent posting up garbage, and now he's going against the best players in the world. anyone would be a little intimidated, especially if you're short, so he's overcompensating so he won't get blocked.

he has the skill, he's just unused to the level of competition. but even then, he scores at an above-average rate whenever he's on the floor. and he's shown every skill in the book at lower levels. I think as he grows comfortable he'll settle in and stop thinking too much.

geeWiz15
10-10-2007, 03:36 PM

so he's going to put up 32/17 next year, eh? time for a new player in the GOAT debate. why not.

Da KO King
10-10-2007, 03:48 PM
didn't he play in a meager conference in college? that could explain it. it's his rookie year. his college career was spent posting up garbage, and now he's going against the best players in the world. anyone would be a little intimidated, especially if you're short, so he's overcompensating so he won't get blocked.

he has the skill, he's just unused to the level of competition. but even then, he scores at an above-average rate whenever he's on the floor. and he's shown every skill in the book at lower levels. I think as he grows comfortable he'll settle in and stop thinking too much.
You clearly have never seen Paul Milsap play prior to his making the Utah Jazz.

Milsap's inconsistent offense was one of the main reasons his stock fell prior to being drafted.

luigi>mario
10-10-2007, 03:51 PM

Milsap's inconsistent offense was one of the main reasons his stock fell prior to being drafted.

The guy's offense is limited, looks awkward, but it is improving. He doesn't need to be any better than 4th option on the floor to be a starter on many teams though. Rebounding, Defense (man and block), Fast Break/Hustle is enough for him to role play for any team who already has scorers.

Ussually you give up speed for rebounding, or power for speed. Not in this case.

bonez26
10-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Millsap but Maxiell is a close second.

geeWiz15
10-10-2007, 05:28 PM

you're right. my standards are a little more reasonable than yours though. if I have a guy that can rebound well, not suck at defense, get putbacks, and hit a hookshot once in awhile, I'm ecstatic. if he can make 15 footers, I get on a heroin high. but that's because I'm a Wizards fan and our most polished post scorer is Etan Thomas.

you notice why he's worse than Elton Brand while I notice why he's better than Jason Collins. supposing his offensive game always will be awkward and inconsistent, he's still a damn good player who might someday be starter quality, and he can still score from the post better than most guys at his position.

Da KO King
10-10-2007, 05:28 PM
The guy's offense is limited, looks awkward, but it is improving. He doesn't need to be any better than 4th option on the floor to be a starter on many teams though. Rebounding, Defense (man and block), Fast Break/Hustle is enough for him to role play for any team who already has scorers.

Ussually you give up speed for rebounding, or power for speed. Not in this case.
I never said I wanted Milsap to be a good offensive player. Someone asked why Milsap was drafted so low and I answered that question.

LootOP
04-06-2016, 08:53 AM

Still think Milsap will have the better career when it's all said and done.

kurple
04-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Yesp

wally_world
04-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Millsap might just be the most underrated player ever

stalkerforlife
04-06-2016, 11:00 AM
:roll: