PDA

View Full Version : What The Hell Happened To Keith Van Horn???

catzhernandez
11-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Where did this guy go? I mean I know he was a scrub for the Mavs when they went to the Finals, but is he just gone for good now? Does anyone know??

pete's montreux
11-09-2007, 10:34 PM
His head fell off.

Agent_Zero
11-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Wasn't he traded to the Pacers along with Marquis Daniels for Austin Croshere, like two years ago?

kentatm
11-09-2007, 10:37 PM
hmm. lets see. He went 9/3.5 in 20 minutes per his last year as the backup PF to Dirk and the 7th man off the bench. Thats a scrub?

basically, he retired b/c he wanted to hang with his family.

Round Robin
Where did this guy go? I mean I know he was a scrub for the Mavs when they went to the Finals, but is he just gone for good now? Does anyone know??

I think he left the league to spend more time with his family. Here's a link to a story about it...

http://www.oddjack.com/2006/keith-van-horn-sits-out-nba-season-to-be-a-housewife-11-04.php

kentatm
Wasn't he traded to the Pacers along with Marquis Daniels for Austin Croshere, like two years ago?

no. he was a FA that expired and he retired to move back with his family full time.

DCL
11-09-2007, 10:38 PM
kvh was irrelevant like a decade ago. it was all downhill after the "fun police."

catzhernandez
11-09-2007, 10:38 PM
no

catzhernandez
11-09-2007, 10:41 PM
I think he left the league to spend more time with his family. Here's a link to a story about it...

http://www.oddjack.com/2006/keith-van-horn-sits-out-nba-season-to-be-a-housewife-11-04.php
thanks for clearing that up, i appreciate the link...

btw, kentatm, ur avy looks a lot like KVH

[/END THREAD]

new noise
11-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Is KVH still technically a free agent, or is he not ever planning on coming back?

AceVenturaPetDet
11-09-2007, 10:55 PM
KVh is a movie star now and a rapper, saw him on Reno 911, and he's working with Jay-Z and Beyonce for a new rap album, I heard the title of album is "Real Gangsta wear socks high".

kentatm
11-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Is KVH still technically a free agent, or is he not ever planning on coming back?

actually, the Mavs still hold his bird rights so they could theoretically sign him to a one year deal at any salary needed to balance out finances in a trade and the team that receives him could simply cut him and let the salary fall off at the end of the year.

it seems unlikely he would come back at this point though.

btw, kentatm, ur avy looks a lot like KVH

b/c it is KVH. I stole it off of JoeNetsfan.com

johndeeregreen
11-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Him and Walker are the worst NBA video game cover boys ever.

catzhernandez
11-09-2007, 11:08 PM
I was very saddened to see him fall so low on the depth chart as he was in the Finals in '06... Believe it or not guys, Keith was my first favorite player. Back when I first started watching, my two guys were Jayson Williams and KVH, i guess I was a Nets fan and didn't even know it. But it's sad to see whats happened to these guys. But come to think of it I would love to get a KVH avy...

new noise
11-09-2007, 11:08 PM
He was picked #2 overall right after Duncan too, wasn't he? What was his potential supposed to be at that time?

kentatm
11-09-2007, 11:26 PM
But come to think of it I would love to get a KVH avy...

http://joenetsfan.com/NetsSeason2000_2001/Gamex2000_2001Assets/Gamex76KeithFlower.gif

http://joenetsfan.com/Assets/PlayerBigKeithVanHorn.gif

take your pick

kentatm
11-09-2007, 11:27 PM
He was picked #2 overall right after Duncan too, wasn't he? What was his potential supposed to be at that time?

well he was really good for a few years and then he started getting hit with injures and those pretty much derailed him.

I remember when Dirk was drafted people projected him to be at best a B grade KVH

Charlie Sheen
11-09-2007, 11:29 PM

Great piece of information on the draft position. I had completely forgot about that.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/v/vanhoke01.html

As far as potential, I'll leave that for another poster. I'm not qualified to answer that question, sorry.

The stats of his early career may help you form your own opinions though. Maybe, i don't know.

new noise
11-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Great piece of information on the draft position. I had completely forgot about that.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/v/vanhoke01.html

As far as potential, I'll leave that for another poster. I'm not qualified to answer that question, sorry.

The stats of his early career may help you form your own opinions though. Maybe, i don't know.

Good link. He did have some good years, particularly 01-02 with Jersey, one of only two years he played in 80+ games. Looking at how he missed an average of 20 or 30 games most years, you can see how the guy just completely fell off.

catzhernandez
11-10-2007, 12:09 AM
http://joenetsfan.com/NetsSeason2000_2001/Gamex2000_2001Assets/Gamex76KeithFlower.gif

http://joenetsfan.com/Assets/PlayerBigKeithVanHorn.gif

take your pick
those are too close to yours...

SuperboyXX0018
11-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Hope he comes back. Believe it or not he's the reason I became a Knicks fan.

AI Nuggets3
11-10-2007, 12:16 AM
he was a good player. he could shoot lights out for a few years. athletic guy too.

kidachi
11-10-2007, 12:18 AM
KVH's high socks looked like he's a 5th grader.

bagelred
11-10-2007, 01:09 AM
He's only young once. Keep playing and make the cash. You have the whole offseason to spend time with your family...... He can play another five years and call it a career.

White Chocolate
11-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Van Horn for his career averaged 16.0 PPG and 6.8 RPG on 44.3% from the field and 36.1% from threes. His best season was the lockout season, where he averaged 21.8 PPG/8.5 RPG/1.5 APG/1.3 BPG/1.0 SPG. He was talented, but he was also a bit soft. Basically, he was Antoine Walker with slightly more intestinal fortitude.

New Jazzy Nets
11-10-2007, 07:19 PM
van horn was awesome in the old NBA vidoe games. trade for him and put him at center. At the time he was really the only big(6-10) who had range. Anyway I heard the Jazz wanted to take a look at him like 1 or 2 years ago, but it was said he wanted mroe then the jazz would offer. So no Ute reunion.

Doomsday Dallas
11-10-2007, 09:10 PM
I was very saddened to see him fall so low on the depth chart as he was in the Finals in '06... Believe it or not guys, Keith was my first favorite player. Back when I first started watching, my two guys were Jayson Williams and KVH, i guess I was a Nets fan and didn't even know it. But it's sad to see whats happened to these guys. But come to think of it I would love to get a KVH avy...

****ing Hilarious Avatar.

KVH suuuuucked.

Good for one thing... 3 pointers.

catzhernandez
11-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Denver was actually interested in him a couple of summers ago...

paguy1955
11-12-2007, 12:53 PM
He is living here in the mountains with his family. The city is Evergreen, CO and it is beautiful. Said he wasn't interested in playing. Spending time with the family.:cheers: :cheers:

SRZ66
11-12-2007, 02:09 PM
i remember everytime i turned on a mavs game and saw van horn, he was airballing a 3 pointer.

Round Robin
11-12-2007, 02:50 PM

From what I remember, people were mixed about him a bit. If i remember right he was coming off a great NCAA run where he lead Utah to the NCAA Championship game against Kentucky, losing like 78-69 or something...Some people loved the fact that he was a big guy with range but others thought something was missing with him. He had some good seasons but didnt seem to fully achieve the potential that some had for him. Still, he had a nice career overall, i wonder what he's up to exactly these days

new noise
11-12-2007, 03:24 PM
He's only young once. Keep playing and make the cash. You have the whole offseason to spend time with your family...... He can play another five years and call it a career.

He had a pretty massive salary the last few years of his career, so I doubt cash is or ever will be a concern. And really, there's something to be said about a guy who's willing to give up life as a highly paid pro athlete to chill with his family. I commend the guy.

How often do we hear things like that as opposed to Shaq's divorce, Kidd slapping his wife around, guys being convicted of rape, etc?

On a side note, one of my favorite things to do in Live 06 was starting a Mavs dynasty and trading away KVH's huge contract to a team with major cap space for draft picks and cheap young players.

Wicked_1
11-12-2007, 04:53 PM
I still find it hard to believe that Mike Doleac (his teamate at Utah) lasted longer than he did in the league! They use to say KVH was the next larry bird just like Wally szerbiak lol.

The thing i remember about vanhorn was his coaches were always complaining that he wasn't playing with passion or heart in teh last couple years he was in the league.

kentatm
10-11-2011, 02:51 PM
actually, the Mavs still hold his bird rights so they could theoretically sign him to a one year deal at any salary needed to balance out finances in a trade and the team that receives him could simply cut him and let the salary fall off at the end of the year.

:dancin

D.J.
10-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I miss Van Horn. Good player. Very good shooting big man, though a bit soft in the paint and injury prone. Still a solid rebounder and made a good career for himself.

prodigyjazz
10-11-2011, 03:08 PM
From what I remember, people were mixed about him a bit. If i remember right he was coming off a great NCAA run where he lead Utah to the NCAA Championship game against Kentucky, losing like 78-69 or something...Some people loved the fact that he was a big guy with range but others thought something was missing with him. He had some good seasons but didnt seem to fully achieve the potential that some had for him. Still, he had a nice career overall, i wonder what he's up to exactly these days

He wasn't a part of the run to the championship game as I believe he went to the pro's the year before that. He was a hell of a college player though, I remember him hitting back 2 back GW in a conference tournament, crazy.

Hondo
10-11-2011, 03:52 PM
A Van Horn tidbit.....

I remember a team being enamored with him after during a pre-draft workout he shot a 3 pointer, ran, caught it in mid air and dunked it.

Rake2204
10-11-2011, 04:12 PM
My enduring memory of Keith Van Horn is the buzzer beater he hit against New Mexico back in '97. I remember him just standing limply with his hands in the air and his eyes closed, being pushed and pulled all about by his teammates. It looked like he was having an out of body experience.

At the 1:34 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8E31Gt5n5k

hawkfan
10-11-2011, 04:14 PM
He got sick of being traded again and again, and he retired.

Really, the Knicks should have kept him during the Marbury years because they actually worked well together on the court. The Knicks made the playoffs the only year of the Marbury era when Van Horn played that year.

chains5000
10-11-2011, 04:45 PM

Really, the Knicks should have kept him during the Marbury years because they actually worked well together on the court. The Knicks made the playoffs the only year of the Marbury era when Van Horn played that year.
Isiah hated him cause he's white.

QuebecBaller
10-11-2011, 05:06 PM

He was traded twice for Tim Thomas :lol

Heavincent
10-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Van Horn was a good player. Especially when he played for the Nets. Great shooter and a solid rebounder. Very underrated PF.

senelcoolidge
10-12-2011, 02:50 PM
I remember him as being very good in college. He had a few very good years in the pros, but had injury issues and was never the same. *Puff* than like many players he disappeared.

TheFan
10-12-2011, 03:16 PM
i heard he became the new big foot.
Gasol will do the same once his run with the Lakers end, he already have the looks

Rake2204
11-13-2011, 09:01 PM
One time, he dunked on Etan Thomas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVI6zBntKmo

11-14-2011, 02:45 PM
There is more to life than basketball. There is not enough money in the world that can replace quality time with the wife and kids.

Money is no issue. I think he signed a lucrative deal in the past and even started two businesses using that money.

ihatetimthomas
11-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Yeah, he made 88 million over his career and he made 4 million in the JKidd trade and didnt even play a single game. They signed him to a contract to make the numbers work. Lucky guy.

MrRogers
11-14-2011, 06:09 PM
KVH was nice his first few seasons. People expected this dude to be Larry Bird on 'roids.

Appreictaed nontheless.:cheers: