PDA

View Full Version : nbadraft.net; Mayo 5th, DeAndre Jordan 3rd

Manphibian420
11-18-2007, 08:50 PM
I haven't seen Jordan, and his numbers are good so far for a freshman 7-footer (11/8 in 20 min), but how can he be ranked ahead of Mayo right now? It must be the early season results that moved him up, but OJ is averaging 25/6/4 2stl in his first 3 games, it seems he is living up to every bit of the superstar hype. Budinger is 4th, also moved ahead of Mayo since the season began, and he is similar to Jordan. His numbers are maybe a little better than expected, but they can't stack up to OJ's. Obviously it's not all about numbers or the way people play over just a few games, but that's the only results we have so far to justify moving rankings from less than a month ago. OJ Mayo is still looking like a future superstar, why demote him?

marny_navis
11-22-2007, 10:19 PM
I looked twice when I saw Budinger ahead of Mayo, but sure enough, there he was. :confusedshrug:

Gabbo
11-22-2007, 10:31 PM
its never about numbers. Kurt Thomas led the nation in points and rebounds.
Its about how they would perform in the NBA, and number only tell part of the story.

Manphibian420
11-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Well, OJ seems to be 4th now, ahead of Budinger, perhaps that part was a mistake when they first posted it since it was changed so quickly (or maybe they change their minds that fast about prospects, not a good sign).
Jordan is still 3rd though. I got a chance to see him the other day, and while his size/athleticism combo is impressive, he doesn't dominate on the college level the way Dwight did as a rookie at the NBA level, or even look like as good as an injured 1-handed Oden. Andrew Bynum is probably a fair comparison. (I take the Dwight/Bynum comparisons from nbadraft.net's own profile of Jordan)
Would take a pretty brave and/or stupid GM to make Jordan the potential Darko of this draft by selecting him over Mayo

its never about numbers. Kurt Thomas led the nation in points and rebounds.
Its about how they would perform in the NBA, and number only tell part of the story.
My post isn't about just the numbers, it's about the expectations built on years of pro scouting making these guys undisputed top NBA prospects, and how the numbers so far have backed that up, and yet Jordan is ahead of Mayo. I'm just wondering what DeAndre has going for him over the first couple weeks, because it's not the reputation and it's not the early results.

FOYE4MVP
11-22-2007, 10:39 PM
i think mayo is a lock in the top 3 with rose-beasley-mayo.

marny_navis
11-22-2007, 11:05 PM
i think mayo is a lock in the top 3 with rose-beasley-mayo.

Welcome to the forum.

Manphibian420
11-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Wow an update on this, Mayo is once again down to 5th. Blake Griffin of Oklahoma is 4th. Is Mayo not the future superstar and top 3 lock just about everyone thinks he is? Or is nbadraft.net just completely useless and/or big time Mayo haters?
I have only seen Griffin once, but he did not really stand out at all even against a pretty bad team. Solid player but he didn't stand out as a top prospect for this draft. Have gotten a chance to see Jordan again since my last comment, and once again he has impressive physical skills but looked years away from contributing and didn't at all dominate physically like the Dwight Howard comparison they make.

marny_navis
11-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Dios mio, they must know something we don't, like Mayo's an undercover Russian spy, or something. I saw Eric Gordon play for a bit in a blowout victory, and he looked pretty good. I haven't seen Griffin, but is he really better than these two? Perhaps he's the reincarnation of George Mikan.

monthh
11-28-2007, 02:17 PM
At first I was thinking of the fact that Mayo is really a 6-4 guard who isn't really a point, but isn't big enough for a SG. However, I am starting to realize that he is more like a 6-4 combo guard. He will be able to play on and off the ball. He is a scorer so he doesn't need to worry about passing as much if he is playing with a PG, but at the same time he can pass and makes plays.

I know the comparison doesn't work for the most part, but I think he would be kind of like Ray Allen in this regard. A SG, but a guy that also makes plays and gets a lot of assists.

The biggest knock I have on Mayo right now is that he has no where near the basketball IQ of someone like Allen. But he is also so young with little experience.

And I don't think he is a lock for the top 3 at all. I would say top 5. Rose and Beasley will be right there, as will Jordan because he is a center. I still think Batum will move up with his workouts, but has not had a good season. People can't forget that he is younger than Mayo, however, and playing in a good European league. Kosta Koufus is 7-0 and could move up into the top 5. Eric Gordon is also a bit of a wildcard because you never know when someone will see him as being an elite scorer in the NBA despite being 6-4. Remember AI went #1 at 6-0. All it takes is 1 team.

As for Blake Griffin, I see a lottery pick, but I don't see the potential to make him a top 5 pick. Same thing with Budinger and Hibbert. Great players, will make good pros, but just don't have that potential to be NBA stars like the guys I mentioned before. Of course that is just my opinion.

PK3434
11-28-2007, 06:57 PM
6'4 isn't short...There are plenty of successful shooting guards that are 6'4 or shorter...even though some are listed as taller. If he plays shooting guard, height will never be an issue.

marny_navis
11-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Is Gordon comparable to Ray Allen?

monthh
11-29-2007, 02:52 AM
You are right about 6-4 SG. I just tend to think of guys like Kobe and T-Mac and the problems they would cause 6-4 players. Besides some guys like that though, there seems to be an equal amount of guys at all sizes. For every Kevin Martin, Joe Johnson, and Rip Hamilton, you have a Ray Allen, AI, and Ben Gordon. I still think it is ideal to be at least an "averaged" sized SG like Manu, Roy, and Jason Richardson when looking at draft position. It isn't as bad as the NFL where .01 of a second on your 40 could drop you a round, but an extra inch or two would be the difference between being a good sized SG and a below average sized SG.

I think Gordon is kind of like Allen, except not the complete player. It will also be interesting to see if he can get his shot off like Allen in the NBA.

DieHardBullsFan
11-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Is Gordon comparable to Ray Allen?

I think Gordon is stronger and more of a slasher than Ray Allen...hmm I would compare Gordon to maybe Mitch Richmound...just to shoot off a name from my head....

monthh
11-29-2007, 01:08 PM
But Allen was pretty explosive back in the day. He has never been that strong, but he has had some nice dunks. Allen is also basically a PG with the ball in his hands. He is a very good offensive weapon. That is what is so hard about comparing guys because the NBA players are so advanced and the college guys are so far behind, and you never know what they will work on, or if they work on anything at all and become a bust.

DieHardBullsFan
11-29-2007, 06:05 PM
But Allen was pretty explosive back in the day. He has never been that strong, but he has had some nice dunks. Allen is also basically a PG with the ball in his hands. He is a very good offensive weapon. That is what is so hard about comparing guys because the NBA players are so advanced and the college guys are so far behind, and you never know what they will work on, or if they work on anything at all and become a bust.

but when you look at Gordon and like mid 90's Richmond they are almost the same player.....I didnt know how Strong Gordon was to be at 6-4 then you look back at how Richmond played he was the same way using his body to slash and can shoot the long ball.......Allen is different I agree is like a off guard, not pg and hes the fenise type (I know I spelt that wrong)

marny_navis
12-04-2007, 09:15 PM
http://nbadraft.net/

Now they have O.J. Mayo at #9. :eek: I'm not a huge fan of Mayo, but they must really not like him. Donte Greene is now #3. He's been climbing up pretty high. Oh, and Blake Griffin is now #4. They've really gone out there this year.

Manphibian420
12-05-2007, 07:42 PM
9th!?! I haven't been blown away by his play so far at USC, but given the incredibly slow pace they play, he hasn't really gotten a chance to shine. His very obvious talent comes out at times though, and he's clearly one of the most talented and polished Guards to come into the college game in a long time. Put him on a team like the Suns and he could average at least 15+ in the NBA right now.
I am a Greene fan, he's taken over the #4 spot for me. He'd be getting HUGE hype in an average year, his level of offensive skill combined with size/athleticism is rare. He's been much better as a freshman than Marvin Williams was(and he was selected over Paul/Deron). Not quite Carmelo, but I could see him being a Rashard Lewis type player in just a couple years given his polish and range.
DeAndre Jordan I continue to be lukewarm on. Really, there is nothing that makes him a better propect than Thabeet. He hasn't shown any more skill at all, and he isn't any better physically (a little stronger, a few inches shorter). I can still see the potential to be a mid lotto pick, but the Dwight Howard comparison is just stupid. He looks 2-3 years away from stacking up to a rookie Howard, who was dominating at the NBA level at the same age. As I said earlier, a Bynum comparison makes sense, and the team drafting him will probably have to have similar patience. Once again, in an average year he would probably still have enough potential to be a safe bet for the top 5, but this year there is a whole group of guys with the same star potential but a much higher current skill level (ie lower level of risk), and there are also a wealth of center options.
As for Griffin, the first time I saw him (when I described him as not standing out) he scored 8 vs Memphis. The next time, he scored 4 @ USC. 12 combined points compared to at least 15 in every other game he's played. He's got pretty much an ideal NBA PF body, so if he's able to keep up those 15/9 type numbers against good competition as the year goes on I could see him as a top 5 prospect. I'll take Arthur of Kansas over him for now though, at least until I actually witness some of his skills.

Cohnman15
12-10-2007, 05:37 PM
#1: I think Mayo is overrated. He's almost two years older than most freshmen.

#2: I really don't think Gordon is 6'4", I think he's more 6'2" or 6'3", which would put him in a Ben Gordon type of role in the NBA.

Da KO King
12-10-2007, 05:54 PM
At this point in the year the mock is not about accuracy, it's about getting attention. What better way to get your website hits than put a player that is a top 5 prospect and have him go late lottery in the draft.

marny_navis
12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Now he's #10.:eek:

jamal99
12-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Beasley is 1st!!!!!!

skan72
12-12-2007, 08:35 PM
#1: I think Mayo is overrated. He's almost two years older than most freshmen.

#2: I really don't think Gordon is 6'4", I think he's more 6'2" or 6'3", which would put him in a Ben Gordon type of role in the NBA.

He might be a Ben G. player to start off with, but he has way more upside then Ben and could be a much better all-around player in this league.

jamal99
12-13-2007, 06:10 PM
I think too that Mayo is overrated. How can he be the 1st pick when Beasley is on draft?!!

P.S. Derrick Rose and Eric Gordon are OK.

marny_navis
12-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Beasley is 1st!!!!!!

Beasley's a headcase. I know you're a basketball player over in Serbia, but don't look at him as a role model. He may have more talent than guys like Rose and Gordon, but with them you don't have to worry about big suspensions and lockerroom cancers. Apparently you're a big. Have you watched Kevin Love? Try doing what that kid does.

marny_navis
12-13-2007, 09:36 PM
He might be a Ben G. player to start off with, but he has way more upside then Ben and could be a much better all-around player in this league.

Agreed; I think scoring-wise, Gordon could will eventually be putting up Paul Pierce-like numbers.

dak121
12-14-2007, 02:52 AM
Kevin Love will be Mike Sweetney 2.0 in the NBA if he can't keep his weight down.

skan72
12-14-2007, 06:19 AM
I think too that Mayo is overrated. How can he be the 1st pick when Beasley is on draft?!!

P.S. Derrick Rose and Eric Gordon are OK.

I think Derrick Rose will be an unbelievable player in the L, barring anything drastic. He could be a fantastic point guard, and if he goes to Seattle like nbadraft.net says, then he'll get lots of burn at the point because none of the guys at the 1 in Emerald City are really starting points.

marny_navis
12-14-2007, 01:15 PM
I think Derrick Rose will be an unbelievable player in the L, barring anything drastic. He could be a fantastic point guard, and if he goes to Seattle like nbadraft.net says, then he'll get lots of burn at the point because none of the guys at the 1 in Emerald City are really starting points.

Agreed, but the Sonics have too many holes that even if we get a Rose-type guy, we'll still be flawed.

jamal99
12-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Beasley's a headcase. I know you're a basketball player over in Serbia, but don't look at him as a role model. He may have more talent than guys like Rose and Gordon, but with them you don't have to worry about big suspensions and lockerroom cancers. Apparently you're a big. Have you watched Kevin Love? Try doing what that kid does.

1) Beasley isn't my role model, he just looks like funny character.
2) What are lockerroom cancers?
3) What about Kevin Love?

marny_navis
12-14-2007, 11:38 PM
1) Beasley isn't my role model, he just looks like funny character.
2) What are lockerroom cancers?
3) What about Kevin Love?

1) That's cool, just don't become a badass like him.
2) People that screw up team chemistry and play for the 'I' not the 'We'.
3) He seems like a pretty nice guy, and works his butt off every day, even though he's not one of the most athletic or talented players in the nation.

eeeeeebro
12-15-2007, 03:14 PM
9th!?! I haven't been blown away by his play so far at USC, but given the incredibly slow pace they play, he hasn't really gotten a chance to shine. His very obvious talent comes out at times though, and he's clearly one of the most talented and polished Guards to come into the college game in a long time. Put him on a team like the Suns and he could average at least 15+ in the NBA right now.
I am a Greene fan, he's taken over the #4 spot for me. He'd be getting HUGE hype in an average year, his level of offensive skill combined with size/athleticism is rare. He's been much better as a freshman than Marvin Williams was(and he was selected over Paul/Deron). Not quite Carmelo, but I could see him being a Rashard Lewis type player in just a couple years given his polish and range.
DeAndre Jordan I continue to be lukewarm on. Really, there is nothing that makes him a better propect than Thabeet. He hasn't shown any more skill at all, and he isn't any better physically (a little stronger, a few inches shorter). I can still see the potential to be a mid lotto pick, but the Dwight Howard comparison is just stupid. He looks 2-3 years away from stacking up to a rookie Howard, who was dominating at the NBA level at the same age. As I said earlier, a Bynum comparison makes sense, and the team drafting him will probably have to have similar patience. Once again, in an average year he would probably still have enough potential to be a safe bet for the top 5, but this year there is a whole group of guys with the same star potential but a much higher current skill level (ie lower level of risk), and there are also a wealth of center options.
As for Griffin, the first time I saw him (when I described him as not standing out) he scored 8 vs Memphis. The next time, he scored 4 @ USC. 12 combined points compared to at least 15 in every other game he's played. He's got pretty much an ideal NBA PF body, so if he's able to keep up those 15/9 type numbers against good competition as the year goes on I could see him as a top 5 prospect. I'll take Arthur of Kansas over him for now though, at least until I actually witness some of his skills.

your saying he is better than grant hill die in a fire n00b

Manphibian420
12-19-2007, 04:51 PM
your saying he is better than grant hill die in a fire n00b
I hope this is sarcasm, but I'll respond to it assuming it's typical ISH idiocy;
#1)Player X scoring more points than another player doesn't make Player X the better player.
#2)Grant Hill is scoring 16ppg, above the 15+ppg I said Mayo could get right now, so even if #1 wasn't true, I never projected Mayo to score more.
#3)Hill is well past his prime (at least physically) so even if I was saying Mayo is better (and I'm not and never did, you brought it up), it would only be compared to Hill playing at maybe 75%

tbp82
02-08-2008, 11:34 AM
A few comments on these freshmen. No Particular order.

1)Michael Beasley-a beast.....I have seen comparisons from Carmelo Anthony to Derrick Coleman. I think he will play Power Forward in the NBA.......I see him as a cross between Zach Randolph and Ron Artest.

2)Derrick Rose-true Point Guard. Love his game yeah Jason Kidd comes to mind. Can't miss prospect.

3.)Deandre Jordan-Athletic Big Man. Does remind a lot of Andrew Bynum. Huge upside here.

4.)Eric Gordon-don't love him don't hate him. He is what I call a solid player.

5.)Jered Bayless-one of those shooting point guards. A guy who could help the right team but could get lost on the wrong one.

6.)O.J. Mayo-I see Ben Gordon when I see him play. I think he will be just like Ben numbers wise etc..........

7.)Kevin Love-Does everything right. Not very athletic but man has fundamentals. I can't see him helping a bad team become good but I could see him helping a good team become great. Every team needs guys who does things the right way.

8)Donta Greeene-athletic SF type should excite crowds and contribute some.

Some of the under the radar freshmen.

1)Austin Daye-crazy potential. Long Athletic. Doesn't see the playing time at Gonzaga. Smooth game. Probably has as much potential as anyone in the draft. I see a skinny Channing Frye with handles.

2.)Blake Griffin-Carloz Booser type. Bruising athletic Big Man. Another with crazy potential. Could easily see him in the top five.

3.)Anthony Randolph-probably the most underatted freshmen out there. A Chris Bosh clone in many ways. Playing well at LSU. Another who has just as much potential as anyone.

dak121
02-17-2008, 05:44 PM
DeAndre Jordan = what Kwame would've looked like if he went to Florida instead of the Wizards

new noise
02-18-2008, 10:08 AM
As much as I'm not really a Mayo fan, I do think he's a steal going anywhere outside the top 5 or 6. He's gone to waste in a lot of ways in a painfully slow offense that for some baffling reason USC decided shouldn't completely revolve around him.

Scouts look at DeAndre Jordan and can't help but see another potential Dwight Howard, which is pretty self-explanatory.

dak121
02-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Scouts look at DeAndre Jordan and can't help but see another potential Dwight Howard, which is pretty self-explanatory.

This Texas/Texas A&M game is making me see a potential Kwame. The guy is awful.

TMac&Luther
02-19-2008, 01:10 AM
This Texas/Texas A&M game is making me see a potential Kwame. The guy is awful.

Yeah, only 9 ppg and 6rpg.......if he was anything like D. Howard his average should be more than double that on the college level.

monthh
02-19-2008, 02:48 AM
There is no good way to predict how centers will do in the NBA. If you go by collge stats, then Rafael Araujo is an all-star. Every year you see centers go, and every year there are random results. Sometimes the top center is great, sometimes the top center is bad, sometimes a mid-round pick is the best, while sometime lottery picks are out of the NBA in a few years and 2nd rounders are starters. The best you can do is use your best judgement. Whether that is Jordan will be a bust, or Jordan will be an all-star, he will still be a top 10 pick. You can say the same thing about Brook Lopez, Hasheem Thabeet, and Trent Plaisted.

The Big Three
03-15-2008, 02:25 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/lottery2008/mockdraft

Wow.... Mayo fell to #11, Phoenix in this one.

Just got Insider today, pretty happy. Only cost $40 for a year, too.

Cohnman15
03-15-2008, 11:11 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/lottery2008/mockdraft

Wow.... Mayo fell to #11, Phoenix in this one.

Just got Insider today, pretty happy. Only cost $40 for a year, too.

From what I was reading in ESPN, people are certain that he's going to be a great scorer on the NBA level. What people wonder is if he'll be able to contribute anything else besides points. I really see another Jamal Crawford when I look at Mayo.

dak121
03-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Eric Gordon over Mayo is a joke.

Eric Gordon = Ben Gordon
Mayo = Brandon Roy

Which guard would you take?

And DeAndre Jordan in the top 5 would confirm my thought that there are people on this message board that can draft as well if not better than most NBA GMs.

Cohnman15
03-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Mayo = Brandon Roy

I don't think Mayo's basketball IQ is anywhere near Roy's.

Dasher
03-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Mayo has a tendency to force things on offense, which may be because of the pace of Tim Floyd's offense. Posters on this board seem to be punishing him for the hype he received, and have put on blinders in respect to his game. One on one he has shut down both Derrick Rose and Jerryd Bayless. So in addition to his offensive game, which probably will be more effective in today's NBA, he should be more than adequate on the defensive end. If he drops out of the top 5 some GM will go from dunce to genius in one pick.

Chris Wallace is praying right now that he can put Mayo in Iavaronni's offense with Rudy Gay and let the greyhounds run up the score.