PDA

View Full Version : I Miss the old Allen Iverson...

C.L.W. "DatDude"
12-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Since leaving the 76ers AI has seemed to decline. I know age plays a big part in that, but I miss the guy. He was arguably one of the best scorers of his time. I miss seeing him torch guys every night.Even though his scoring dropped from 23.5 in the 1996-97 season to 22 in 1997-98, Iverson became more of a team player. Iverson arguably had his best season in 2001 he led his team to win their first ten games, he started and won All-Star MVP honors at the All Star Game. The Sixers also posted a 56-26 record, which was best in the Eastern Conference that season. He also averaged a then-career high 31.1 points, winning his second NBA scoring title in the process. Iverson won the NBA steals title at 2.5 a game. Iverson was named NBA Most Valuable Player for his accomplishments. He was absolutely amazing that season. He still puts up big numbers but he is not as exciting as he use to be. He was often controversial, but thats another reason why I really loved the guy.

Fatal9
12-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Yea, I used to love watch him drop 30 on <40% shooting.

Richie2k6
12-01-2007, 07:09 PM
I like the new AI, but I miss the fact that he'll probably never score 50 again. He's still one of the best scorers in the league and one of the best players of this era.

I liked his 2000-2003 gear, though. Sleeve, no headband, fingerband, changing cornrows every game.

AI Nuggets3
12-01-2007, 07:11 PM
if he's declined it has only been slightly athletically. too tough to tell.

he's taking a lot less shots which equals less PPG. he's still really faster than the players 10 years younger. he's playing in the altitude for 38mpg everynight. his steals are up.

he had a quote about 2 weeks ago. something like "i can score 18 and we can still win. I dont have to try and score 40 everynight now." he sounds relieved.

Mr_Basketball#1
I like the new AI, but I miss the fact that he'll probably never score 50 again. He's still one of the best scorers in the league and one of the best players of this era.

I liked his 2000-2003 gear, though. Sleeve, no headband, fingerband, changing cornrows every game.
Yeah the guy still really hasn't slowed down. He has taken a beaten his entire career and still is an effective player. The thing I liked about the old A.I. is that he could single handedly carry a team. He was in the same situation that Lebron is in now. He was not surrounded by alot of good players, but he found a way to win night in and night out.

mlh1981
I only get to watch AI a few times a year, but it seems to me that he's trying to make the adjustments required in his "advanced" age. If he was out there still trying to play like he was 25, the league would eat him up. Those drives into the lane would be stopped even before he could get into the paint He seems to be doing the smart thing, given his age and wear/tear.

T-Low
12-01-2007, 07:18 PM

Whoa, where the H

hateraid
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM
I do miss that ankle breaking quickness, but by no means has he gotten worse or is declining, he's just adjusting. That's the mark of a great player, to lose their physical attributes but still manage ways to be a factor on the court.

hon
12-03-2007, 03:18 AM
http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/family/img/998_Allen_iverson_arrest.jpg

Yeah, I miss this guy. I want this guy back.
:oldlol:

Seriously, I was a huge fan of his during the Georgetown years. Especially his Final four runs, facing a stacked Arkansas team lead by Corliss "Big Nasty" Williamson. I loved how he was trying to take 'em down all by himself. Where were you, Othella?

http://members.fortunecity.de/stefnba/iverson/pics1/image167.gif

dab0yech0
12-03-2007, 03:30 AM
Practice? You talking about practice?

jbot
12-03-2007, 08:32 AM
he still has the best crossover in the business.

catzhernandez
12-03-2007, 08:50 AM
he still has the best crossover in the business.
co-sign

Sharas
12-03-2007, 09:07 AM
on the team with another good scorer, give me the "new" AI ten times out of ten

Diesel J
12-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Since leaving the 76ers AI has seemed to decline. I know age plays a big part in that, but I miss the guy. He was arguably one of the best scorers of his time. I miss seeing him torch guys every night.Even though his scoring dropped from 23.5 in the 1996-97 season to 22 in 1997-98, Iverson became more of a team player. Iverson arguably had his best season in 2001 he led his team to win their first ten games, he started and won All-Star MVP honors at the All Star Game. The Sixers also posted a 56-26 record, which was best in the Eastern Conference that season. He also averaged a then-career high 31.1 points, winning his second NBA scoring title in the process. Iverson won the NBA steals title at 2.5 a game. Iverson was named NBA Most Valuable Player for his accomplishments. He was absolutely amazing that season. He still puts up big numbers but he is not as exciting as he use to be. He was often controversial, but thats another reason why I really loved the guy.

Uhhm..dude hasn't slowed down.You do realize the reason why he's not scoring as much now is because he actually now surrounded by scorers?In Philly he had to score 40 just to keep his team in the game which is something he no longer has to do

Legend of Josh
12-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Iverson - one of the most explosive and prolific scorers of any generation was always a rapture to watch, but there comes a time when almost all "elite" NBA players undertake a new reduced (however still effective) role (usually on a different team, usually a contender as well).

I still enjoy watching Iverson play, but we certainly have to come to the realization that the ESPN highlight reels are long forgotten and if anything, few and far between.

SCdac
12-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Has he really declined all that much? I imagine playing with Carmelo, the Nuggets' leader, probably has a bit to do with that.

AI did put up a few 40+ point games just last season. A few with Philly, one with Denver minus Melo, and one with Denver plus Melo. Yeah, he used to put up 40 point games almost weekly back in the day, but I think he still has it in him. If he was still in Philly, I'm sure he'd still be lighting it up.

Nov 24, 06 (PHI)
46 pts, 10 ast, 5 reb, 2 stl, 1 blk, 50.0 FG%, 94.1 FT%

Nov 27, 06 (PHI)
45 pts, 4 ast, 1 reb, 3 stl, 46.0 FG%, 91.7 FT%

Dec 28, 06 (DEN - no Melo)
44 pts, 10 ast, 3 reb, 2 stl, 58.6 FG%, 75.0 FT%

Mar 17, 06 (DEN - with Melo)
44 pts, 15 ast, 5 reb, 1 blk, 72.7 FG%, 83.8 FT%

GOBB
12-03-2007, 03:43 PM
He hasnt declined one bit...he plays on a better team than he has been on next to a young, explosive scorer named Carmelo Anthony. What about AI's game that has changed? :confusedshrug:

Optimus Prime
12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
I, too, miss the old AI. Quotable quotes and lovely mugshots on COPS and all that...

Tarik One
12-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Typical lowbrow fans in here. Judging a guy by his stats and ESPN highlights.

geeWiz15
12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
I am very curious what, other than declining scoring averages, could POSSIBLY lead you all to assume Allen Iverson's declining.

Allen Iverson is better than he's ever been before. people thought he would slow down his last couple years in Philly, and they were his statistical best, with career highs in assists and FG%. and now, he's got a team around him finally, and is playing like an actual point guard as he should, and you assume he's declining because he isn't scoring 40 on 38% shooting anymore??

kidachi
12-03-2007, 04:16 PM
I miss the young AI, the Rookie AI. that was the real AI for me. years like 1996-2002.

ankle-breakers, follow-up dunks, and just REALLY embarrassing guys left and right.

geeWiz15
12-03-2007, 04:19 PM
He hasnt declined one bit...he plays on a better team than he has been on next to a young, explosive scorer named Carmelo Anthony. What about AI's game that has changed?
exactly. this thread is completely wrong. every bit of it. what is he worse at? :confusedshrug: exact same player if you actually WATCH him only he's actually got a TEAM now. if you watched him in Philly it was clear he was a lone wolf only by necessity.

If I were making a team now I'd take AI now over any other era AI. the only thing that's changed is he's smarter now.

mlh1981
12-03-2007, 04:22 PM
exactly. this thread is completely wrong. every bit of it. what is he worse at? :confusedshrug: exact same player if you actually WATCH him only he's actually got a TEAM now. if you watched him in Philly it was clear he was a lone wolf only by necessity.

If I were making a team now I'd take AI now over any other era AI. the only thing that's changed is he's smarter now.

It's amazing that at 32 years of age, he still displays the same athetic ability that he did at 25 or so. Maybe this will cause us to rethink what we define as "old." Many great players were at the top of their game at 32. Malone, Stockton, Jordan, Pippen, Hakeem, etc...........all still GREAT players at that supposedly "old age"

Tarik One
12-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Malone, Stockton, Jordan, Pippen, Hakeem, etc...........all still GREAT players at that supposedly "old age"

You also have to take into account the fact that these greats along with other players like Ewing and Isiah made adjustments to their games to counter their declining athleticism. Most notably, improving their shooting.

hotsizzle
12-03-2007, 04:36 PM
AI hasnt slowed down. Hes more contained, a playmaker, and efficient.. I'm sure if you ask him to go out and drop 35, he still can. AI is the same AI.

mlh1981
12-03-2007, 04:38 PM
You also have to take into account the fact that these greats along with other players like Ewing and Isiah made adjustments to their games to counter their declining athleticism. Most notably, improving their shooting.

of course, a 32 year NBA player isn't gonna have the same "OMGZ reDONKulous, crzy wow holy shiznik" athleticism that he might've had at 25. Allen Iverson has probably lost a step, but like you said, the adjustments made makes him a much more complete player now than at any point

w00terz
12-03-2007, 05:43 PM
I miss the young AI, the Rookie AI. that was the real AI for me. years like 1996-2002.

ankle-breakers, follow-up dunks, and just REALLY embarrassing guys left and right.

I do too. It really takes me back (AI was my idol on the court when I was playing ball as a kid). I do miss the amazing crossovers that caused the league to enforce carrying overs more often. I miss the explosiveness and dunking all over huge 7 foot guys. However, just like Jordan, it doesn't last forever. A younger generation of people (10 years) can say they missed Jordan's explosive game but as his career progressed, he changed his game to flow better with his team. Same goes for AI.

AI now plays a more calm, collected game and he doesn't have to score 40 a game to win. With the Nuggets, AI can get more years out of his NBA career. He can relax and still win, then play hard when it is needed (playoffs).

To the topic creator: I'm not sure how old you are but I think what you hate more is the fact that you've gotten older and seen AI grow older. Because that's what bothers me. I'm 20 now and I wish I was a kid again.

ForceOfNature
12-03-2007, 06:38 PM
AI is not gone, he can still put up big point totals. I will never miss his old attitude.

Richie2k6
12-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Allen Iverson is better than he's ever been before. people thought he would slow down his last couple years in Philly, and they were his statistical best, with career highs in assists and FG%. and now, he's got a team around him finally, and is playing like an actual point guard as he should, and you assume he's declining because he isn't scoring 40 on 38% shooting anymore??
I would say AI's prime has JUST passed him. 2005-2006 was his second best year, clear-cut. Put up amazing numbers. His quickness has decreased almost unnoticably, but he's definitely not as quick as he was 7 years ago. His jumper has gotten better, but he attacks the rim a bit less. I wouldn't say he's better than he's ever been, it's just that he hasn't gotten much worse. He can still drop 50 if Melo isn't there, he can still rack up fast break points, he can still get you 5 steals. Not much about his game has gotten worse other than a slight decrease in quickness (which is natural, being 32). Better jumpshooter than he was 5 years ago, better decision maker, better passer, still as good of a defender, still one of the best scorers and players and passers in the league.

Though I do miss those explosive 50 point games. Those I will miss a lot.

He's as good as he's ever been. Not much difference than 2003-2006 Iverson to this one, other than less points. But we all know if he stayed on Philly till the day he retired, he would be dropping 40 on people at age 38, so it's all good.

usdmef9
12-03-2007, 07:01 PM

HAHAHAHA

I will admit though I was always in aw of what he was single handedly able to acomplish every year being the selfish player he was and at a notable hieght disadvantage aswell.

evinecz
12-03-2007, 07:07 PM
i too miss the iverson dat use to drop 30 and 40 points everynight... i dont like the new iverson dat drops 18-20 points everynight.. dat sucks

Richie2k6
12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
It's pretty much like this:

1996-1998 Iverson: Quickest player in the league, explosive scorer, crossovers like crazy, a bit of a ball hog, attitude problems.

http://www.beepworld.de/memberdateien/members32/alleniverson6/allen_iverson_rook_game_mvp_1.jpg

1999-ish Iverson: Quickest player in the league, explosive scorer, crossovers like crazy, a bit of a ball hog, improved passer, better attitude, though still not fully acceptable.

http://www.allen-iverson.org/images/allen2.jpg

2000-2002 Iverson: Quickest player in the league, arguably the best scorer of all generations of his career, crazy crossovers, less of a ball hog, even better attitude, and a winner.

http://www2.jsonline.com/sports/buck/image/2001/play/al52201.jpg

2003-2006 Iverson: Quickest player in the league, arguably the best scorers of all generations of his career, crazy crossovers, many career highs and numbers, became a highly ranked passer, better attitude.

http://www.bballcity.com/images/2004/allen-iverson-4-med.jpg

2007-Current Iverson: New team, new attitude. Arguably quickest player in the league, excellent passer, crazy crossovers, great team player, unselfish, basically flawless attitude.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070102/070102_iverson_vmed_9p.widec.jpg

i too miss the iverson dat use to drop 30 and 40 points everynight... i dont like the new iverson dat drops 18-20 points everynight.. dat sucks
I'd rather him average 23/8 and have 52 wins than 30/7 and have 40, and I can guarantee he would say the same.

evinecz
12-03-2007, 07:17 PM
03-06 iverson was the best iverson...

Rockets(T-mac)
12-03-2007, 07:42 PM
He was and is very funny to watch. I probably like this AI better, he makes better decisions with the ball, and has become a great passer over the years. Still has the scoring ability, but his team doesn't solely have to rely on him to win.

evinecz
12-03-2007, 08:06 PM
it is quite boring watchin him put 23 points a night... when u kno he is able to score 40 a night... he should of go to a team dat is his.. being a sidekik sucks... he shud be da leader...

aahhsin
12-03-2007, 08:26 PM
man....why drop 40 when your team only needs 20

i like this AI WAY more. this AI will be in the league much longer than the one that drops 50-60 points man.

we won't see this guy go away as long as he is feeding the ball to melo...and thats another good 5-6 years.

evinecz
12-03-2007, 09:17 PM
iverson looks weird witthout sleeves

aahhsin
12-03-2007, 09:22 PM
looks like AI has gained some body mass compared to past years. i think he is a good 175 now.

evinecz
12-03-2007, 10:23 PM
yeah he looks fitter

AI Nuggets3
12-03-2007, 10:28 PM
he lifts weights like crazy now. theres videos out there that detail his weightlifting regimine. He's trying to bulk up and put on 10lbs of muscle this year over the course of the season.

its with the same trainer that somehow got Nene in shape.

Richie2k6
12-03-2007, 10:31 PM
He looked hella skinny in his earlier years. Especially the early 00's. He looked tall and skinny, now he looks short and fit.

http://www.screensavershot.com/sports/allen.jpg

Mr_Basketball#1
12-03-2007, 11:15 PM
He looked hella skinny in his earlier years. Especially the early 00's. He looked tall and skinny, now he looks short and fit.

http://www.screensavershot.com/sports/allen.jpg
Richie you got to put a christmas hat on your avy.

evinecz
12-03-2007, 11:16 PM
how do u put on a christmass hat?

w00terz
12-04-2007, 03:47 AM
man....why drop 40 when your team only needs 20

i like this AI WAY more. this AI will be in the league much longer than the one that drops 50-60 points man.

we won't see this guy go away as long as he is feeding the ball to melo...and thats another good 5-6 years.

EXACTLY. Although this is hard for some people to comprehend. I too miss the old AI (the one I remembered as I was growing up and idolized as I played ball) but I really like what AI has done with his career. A lot of people said he would slow down, he wouldn't be the same and they have been proven wrong. He can relax now and win games, then play hard when he is most needed (playoffs).

eliteballer
12-04-2007, 05:19 AM
If he's lost anything in terms of quickness, it's not THAT much. He still outplays Wade everytime they matchup. Truly one of the most amazing players in history from a physical standpoint.

francesco totti
12-04-2007, 05:20 AM
My favorite player ever...

all what i want and ai wants is just earn a title..thats all what he lacks..
his done it all in the nba.

Richie2k6
12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Done and done. :)

IllegalD
12-05-2007, 10:58 PM
*BUMP*

R-TARDS!!!

:roll:

evinecz
12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Simply the GOAT for me..lol

geeWiz15
12-05-2007, 11:14 PM
we're positive this thread wasn't created by konex?

GOBB
12-05-2007, 11:16 PM
we're positive this thread wasn't created by konex?

Though I do miss those explosive 50 point games. Those I will miss a lot.

Well you get an early xmas present. :rockon:

evinecz
12-05-2007, 11:48 PM
it seems like the old iverson is playing against the lakers tonight...:rockon: :rockon:

L.Kizzle
12-06-2007, 12:11 AM
He's playing tonight, came back for a one time only cameo appearance.

Yaosonegoodear
12-06-2007, 12:25 AM
He's playing tonight, came back for a one time only cameo appearance.
and of course It had to come against Kobe.:cheers:

Hawker
12-06-2007, 12:33 AM

Well you get an early xmas present. :rockon:

Dont jinx it!

He only needs one more point.

amfirst
12-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Maybe because he is playing in the West which is tuffer.

asu77golf
12-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Maybe because he is playing in the West which is tuffer.

tuffer???? Come on! At least try!

Chrono90
12-06-2007, 01:49 AM

right after u said it, he dropped 51 lols

:rockon: :rockon: :party:

aahhsin
12-06-2007, 01:53 AM
he drops 51 like the old AI and he loses.

does this tell you something about his old playing style?

yeaaaman
12-06-2007, 02:01 AM

lol well,

first off if he drops 51 and wins you wont say this

second, who said he played in his 'old playing style'?

third, his old playing style did make him one of the greatest guards of his era, a future hall of famer, a league mvp, and an nba finalist, among other things..no he didnt win a title but hes done alot more than a ton of palyers in this league have

kidachi
12-06-2007, 02:05 AM

it's like MJ when he was with the Wizards.

MJ was questioned if he can still score like the old times, because he scored a career-low 6 the previous game. Next game, he dropped 51 against the Hornets.

The next season(02-03), he was again asked about that scoring thing, 'cause he scored a new career low 2 against Toronto. After 3 weeks, he scored 41 on Indiana, and 45 on New Orleans a month later.

(the only 40-year old to score 40+points in a game)

WoGiTaLiA1
12-06-2007, 02:09 AM
I think Iverson reads Ish...

Score 50 and lose. Back to the old Iverson :)

geeWiz15
12-06-2007, 02:12 AM
lol well,

first off if he drops 51 and wins you wont say this
yeah....... because he'd have won. your point? if he'd have won, he wouldn't have completely and utterly disappeared when things got important. and people wouldn't be complaining.

Lebron23
12-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Allen Iverson is back, and he is still one of the best scorer in the history of the game.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/bk_AAHT201_8x10~Allen-Iverson-Posters.jpg

francesco totti
12-07-2007, 02:51 AM
Still the best player in the game :banana:

JUST after 51 points vs lakers..
35 points, 12 assists and six steals vs mavs.:rockon:

:party:

Geandily
12-07-2007, 03:00 AM
Still the best player in the game :banana:

JUST after 51 points vs lakers..
35 points, 12 assists and six steals vs mavs.:rockon:

:party:

45+ minutes in both of them too, guy has amazing endurance.

Lebron23
12-07-2007, 03:04 AM
45+ minutes in both of them too, guy has amazing endurance.

Great Endurance for a guy, who is under 6 ft tall, and weighing more than 165 , and being able to become one of the best scorer in the league for 12 straight years. It only confirmed that Allen Iverson is one of the best player of this generation, and he really deserve to win an NBA Championship ring before he retired playing the game that he really love.

kps
12-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Great Endurance for a guy, who is under 6 ft tall, and weighing more than 165 , and being able to become one of the best scorer in the league for 12 straight years. It only confirmed that Allen Iverson is one of the best player of this generation, and he really deserve to win an NBA Championship ring before he retired playing the game that he really love.

Amen to that!!! :cheers:

Orlando Magic
09-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Allen Iverson.

fourkicks44
09-09-2016, 07:32 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/18.IVERSON_06-97.jpg