PDA

View Full Version : Best guard prospect: Derrick Rose/Ricky Rubio/OJ Mayo/Eric Gordon?

Younggrease
12-05-2007, 02:35 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/derrickrose.jpeg
Derrick Rose - seems to be the most athletic..But is also the least skilled imo. Seems to be passive and has a very spotty jumpshot. Very raw and tweenish...Could end up being another shorter but quicker Devin Harris or could be an all star.

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/o.j.mayo.jpg
OJ Mayo - Looks to be 6"4, doesnt have an amazing first step. Has trouble beating lower level college players with it. Is way more skilled then Rose but has issues with shot selection and overall athletism. Will he be able to get to the basket or will it be all long jumpers. Also is solid defensively but is still making freshmen mistakes. Im not sold on this guy as the next big thing but he will be a good player. Just not someone's skill set I would personally want on my squad.

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/rickyrubio.jpg

Ricky Rubio- Is a great defender..Has amazing feel for the game. At 17 years old he is third in efficiency in the ACB league(very solid lg) and is killing it. Im really sold on this kid as he knows how to score when needed as well. Could be the next pg to join the ranks of Deron Williams and Chris Paul as the next gen point guards.

After 10 games.
14.7 pt ranks 6th
2.7 reb
3.4 as
2,67 st ranks 1st

playing only 25 minutes per game.

60% 2s 39% 3s 86% ft

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/ericgordon.jpg
Eric Gordon- I really like this kid in college. Love his skill set although he is small for a two guard. I also dislike the Ben Gordon comparisons as I see him as a more Mitch Ritchmond type body in the end. This kid is gonna be a player in the NBA and I feel he might sneak up and be a better player then Derrick Rose and possibly OJ Mayo. Kid is so underrated by these scouting sites like Draft Express...#9???best case is Randy Foye??

In my opinion I as prospects I think it has to go

1. Ricky Rubio
2. OJ Mayo
3. Eric Gordon
4. Derrick Rose

I just dont get how Rose is so overrated right now...comparisons to JKidd at draft express?? he isnt even a true pg.

GOBB
12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
:oldlol: Ricky Rubio....offspring of Menudo?

Dizzle-2k7
12-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Ive heard about Rubio. hes the guy dropping 50+ in the euro leagues as a 15 yr old I think. share any clips you have of him Im eager to see him play.

Younggrease
12-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Ricky in ACB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5de_TkPHRg

Better quality
http://acbtv.acb.com/video/div/169

Some younger stuff mixed in...he changed his jumper so dont judge it from the younger stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqLGzkhRHN8&feature=related

Thorpesaurous
12-05-2007, 03:49 PM
I think Gordon's the surest thing, but doesn't have the upside the other guys do because I really doubt he's going to get much taller, and he lacks the playmaking ability. The other guys have the magical combo of size and playmaking ability. But their questionable jumpers make them risky in my view.

Gordon is the only guy who brings a flat out sure thing NBA skill, and that's his jumper. It will absolutely keep him from being a bust, but may or may not make him a star.

And I agree about Mayo's first step looking a little sluggish. He looked like he had more pop in HS.

catzhernandez
12-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Eric Gordan!!

Indiana boy born and raised... Hope the Pacers get him!

The MOST homeristic post EVER:ohwell:

BIZARRO
12-05-2007, 04:04 PM
I think Gordon's the surest thing, but doesn't have the upside the other guys do because I really doubt he's going to get much taller, and he lacks the playmaking ability. The other guys have the magical combo of size and playmaking ability. But their questionable jumpers make them risky in my view.

Gordon is the only guy who brings a flat out sure thing NBA skill, and that's his jumper. It will absolutely keep him from being a bust, but may or may not make him a star.

And I agree about Mayo's first step looking a little sluggish. He looked like he had more pop in HS.

Haven't seen Rubio; can't comment.

As for the debate of who I've seen; I think EG is easily the best. Think it will eventually prove to be alot less close than many experts are making it.

It's WAY early; but my projection for EG is a legit all star in the League.

Has underrated athleticism, SICK shot, aggresive attitude, etc.

To me, he is the goods.

eurobum
12-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Ive heard about Rubio. hes the guy dropping 50+ in the euro leagues as a 15 yr old I think. share any clips you have of him Im eager to see him play.

not a euro-league game ... in an under 16 euro championships (or something like that, in that age group at least!).

Younggrease
01-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Wow...Ricky Rubio seems to have some elite and touch on passes..This kid is special. I would draft him over OJ Mayo or Derrick Rose 10 times out of 10..This kid is 17 years old doing this stuff in a lg vastly superior to anything these guys are seeing in College..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvnKmfAe-Bg

allball
01-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Jarred Bayless

Younggrease
01-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Jarred Bayless

I havent seen him except half of a game and he was off...What is his game like...He didnt look to be near the level of guys like Gordon and Rubio but it was only 1 game

hotsizzle
01-11-2008, 06:30 PM
I'd take Gordan right now and his explosive offensive skillset. Undecided between Rose and Mayo. Havent heard or seen too much of the Rubio dude.

20 Dimes A Game
01-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Rubio!

GOBB
01-11-2008, 06:31 PM
You're too biased with Ricky Rubio compared to others. Its easy to expose and critique OJ Mayo but Rubio? Where have you really done it? You gotta be consistent with all prospects. Only fair.

LuppersGB
01-11-2008, 06:36 PM
ricky is about 6'4 but i doubt if he is as athletic as the americans guys, but i know hes gona be a great player in the future. During the U-18 [he was only 16] world champs(i think) he averaged triple double in points, rebounds and assists. In the final against Russia got a quadrouple double with steals and nailed the 3 to go into overtime. But hey thats just one game. Anyhoo he is doing amazing things in the Spanish leagues considering i'm 18 and older than him. he is gona rate as one of the best ever european players.

Younggrease
01-11-2008, 06:38 PM
I'd take Gordan right now and his explosive offensive skillset. Undecided between Rose and Mayo. Havent heard or seen too much of the Rubio dude.

Gordon is my favorite college player ... I did it as a ranking of draft prospects not current players. I feel that Gordon is a better player right now and has proven it.

I'm Sorry, Guys!
01-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Tough decision. It is one that needs to be seriously deliberted by GM's who will have top-5 picks. Surely one or two won't be as good as the other two, so it is imperative GM's do their homework.

As it stands I think it's a bit too early for comparison, but if I had to pick'em I go:

1. Mayo
2. Gordon
3. Rose

But alot of this depends on where these guys go. If Mayo goies where he can play off the ball, he'll be explosive. Really explosive. Gordon is the most consistent, but that doesn't translate to the pros sometimes. Can he play the SG in the pros? Atleast with Mayo, you know he has a little PG skills.

Rose is the most talented from the pur physical standpoint, but everything else about is iffy. Free throw shooting. Turnover prove. Passing. He's easily the biggest gamble here.

Younggrease
01-11-2008, 06:47 PM
You're too biased with Ricky Rubio compared to others. Its easy to expose and critique OJ Mayo but Rubio? Where have you really done it? You gotta be consistent with all prospects. Only fair.

Im trying to criticize Ricky Rubio but the only thing I can come up with is he to get in the weight room and work on becoming an even better athlete... Seeing this 17 year with such an understanding of the game with elite vison, the feel to make the pass, the ability to get into position to deliver the pass and the scoring and shooting ability to set it up is truly remarkable..

2009 Ricky Rubio is currently the #1 pick in mock drafts... Looks like they were a little late because I've been saying it for over a year. But at least they have seen the light

eeeeeebro
01-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Wow...Ricky Rubio seems to have some elite and touch on passes..This kid is special. I would draft him over OJ Mayo or Derrick Rose 10 times out of 10..This kid is 17 years old doing this stuff in a lg vastly superior to anything these guys are seeing in College..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvnKmfAe-Bg

have to be 19 to join nba so sorry

Younggrease
01-11-2008, 07:11 PM
have to be 19 to join nba so sorry

Draft express has him at #1 for 2009 and thats when I expect him to come over hopefully

bigboi_baller
01-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Rubio is one of the few 17 yr olds that actually looks 17 years old.

SLAM had an article about him earlier. I remember comparisons to Magic and a great deal of hype.

Phenith
01-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Batum should be in this thread... he may not have the hype around him that the others do, but he is going to be a solid all around player, he has great IQ and a great combination of skill, size(has the height, needs a little weight, but his frame suggests he shouldn't have a problem putting it on) and athleticism. If all three of Rose, Gordon and Mayo go ahead of him next year, there is a lot of GMs not doing their jobs. He may struggle adapting to the NBA style for the first half of his rookie year, but this kid is going to be a star when he gets his game going.

Darius
01-11-2008, 07:55 PM
lol that Rubio kid looks pretty sick in those highlights.

He has the best name of the 4 by a mile.

Ricky Rubio... it's an advertizers dream.

highhopes
01-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Rubio is one of the few 17 yr olds that actually looks 17 years old.

SLAM had an article about him earlier. I remember comparisons to Magic and a great deal of hype.

Yeah. I think I know the article you're talking about. I think I read it as well. Is it the one where they were talking about his international junior career where he was dropping 52 points and a triple-double by himself in the final of a european competition or something. Even that seems like something crazy to do. I know a ton of guys here who have gone to play overseas, for instance Patrick Mills who goes to St. Mary's now, who seem absolutely superb players but they never did anything amazing statically on the Australian level of things. Rubio dropping a triple double with 52 points is just crazy.

I've heard his name being mentioned as possibly one of the all-time great European players already at age 17. I don't know if he's a lock to become a great player in the NBA though. Then again, he might totally dog the NBA and stay in Europe until hes 28-29 years old. I haven't seen him talk about the NBA at all. Not in any article I've read anyway.

--

Other than him, I'm going to go with the majority (Thorepesaurus being the only one to really comment on someone other than Rubio) and say that Gordon looks like the most likely to not become a bust on the NBA level. He's solid in everything he does and he just looks like he has an NBA game. Little bit undersized, and probably not enough play making skill to be a PG, but I think he'll stick in the league for a long time.

BFRESH44
01-12-2008, 12:47 AM
DRose aka the next great Heat PG....:pimp:

Da KO King
01-12-2008, 05:44 AM
Honestly, if I had a top five pick I'd trade down because none of these guys are no brainers and each has a significant weakness.

Eric Gordon is the best of the group but 6'2" SG's make me nervous. Especially when they don't show me a high level understanding of playing off the ball.

Derrick Rose is a 'tweener guard, not a combo guard or a PG. Combo guards are ok; 'tweener guards are not.

OJ Mayo was never an amazing athlete but he's looking completely and totally average in college. Average at best athletically SG's normally have a hard time sticking in the league.

Rubio (can't be drafted until 2009) makes Kevin Durant look like Ron Coleman.

Dizzle-2k7
01-12-2008, 05:48 AM
OJ has been NBA-ready since his sophomore year in highschool.. his first step aint got me sold yet, but hes a great playmaker, passer.. has great strength and can really run an offense (averaging about 20/5/3)... him and Eric Gordon are my bet to be the best players of this group cuz I have yet to see Rubio play.

Younggrease
02-18-2008, 01:49 PM
OJ Mayo vs. USC

2-8 4pts 10 turnovers

dude was really overrated

GOBB
02-18-2008, 02:29 PM
None of them except Eric Gordon are impressive. 2 more years in college.

OJ Mayo vs. USC

2-8 4pts 10 turnovers

UCLA*

itsmeman
02-18-2008, 02:35 PM
I think Derrick Rose will be the best pro. He looks like a really good playmaker. I'm not sold on Mayo. I think Gordon will be a good pro. Haven't seen Rubio, but I've read comparisons to Pete Maravich.

c_az_a
02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
What about Jerryld Bayless. He has scored 30 pts three straight games.

artificial
02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Pretty recent article on Ricky Rubio (posted today)

[QUOTE]Ricky Rubio, 6-4, Point Guard, DKV Joventut, 1990
12.5 points, 3.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 2.1 turnovers, 2.5 steals, 45% FG, 36% 3P, 83% FT, 24 minutes

Jonathan Givony

Joventut

The Chosen One
02-18-2008, 02:58 PM
ricky will be the best. he's already one of the best point guards in europe, top defender, at age 17, thats INSANE. his assist number is so low because of in spain the assists are counted in a different way (if the scorer dribbles or does something before putting the ball in the hole, its not an assist) so every player gets a lower number than in the nba. just look at calderon, he used to have 2 APG in the ACB, and now hes putting 10+ assists every game.

Da KO King
02-18-2008, 03:03 PM
OJ Mayo vs. USC

2-8 4pts 10 turnovers

Did you watch the game at all or are you just posting a box score? I ask because I don't think anyone that watched the game would use it to drop his draft stock.

GOBB
02-18-2008, 03:07 PM
That game came on late at night...i watched some of it but faded. Last thing i remember Kevin Love hit a 3.

Thorpesaurous
02-18-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm glad this came back up, because I have to say that Gordon is starting to make me a little nervous. I know his wrist is hurt, but he seems to lack a lot in terms of breakdown ability. I'm not sure how much of it is just not having that snap off of that hand, or being able to comfortably come up with the ball with it, but it's a little troubling. I still think he's a sure thing for a long career, because of the shooting, but right now I'm afraid he's teetering between Mitch Richmond/Young Dale Ellis territory, and something closer to Tracy Murray. All the athleticism in the world doesn't mean anything if you don't have the ability to get near the hoop and use it. He's got the strength, but he seems a little sluggish. Early in the season, he was so hot from the perimeter, it makes it hard to get a good read on him.

I guess I'm a little higher on Rose than most. I agree that he's not a real PG, but there's too many Marbury, Francis, and even Gilbert's that have at least had personal success. His head seems to be screwed on straight, which should keep him from the pitfalls of first two, and in the right scheme, I could see him being a huge piece to a puzzle. He's got to get more control of himself, but he's too young for me to hold that against him. His upside is too big for me to pass up on him for any of these other guys at this point, and while I admit it's a gamble, no one else is a fool proof prospect. (I would however take Beasley ahead of him).

I've watched more Rubio stuff over the past few weeks, and had the same Pistol Pete thoughts. He must get stronger, or he'll be too easy to move off of his spot, and he doesn't have the frame to project that he'll do so naturally, so he'll have to work on it. And he does worry me in that I'm not sure how successfull he can be without being the focal point, much like Pistol, but because of that jumper and vision, if everything were to come together, he'd be the best of this group.

It's weird, this is a good deep class, but everyone has warts, and big ones. I think you you've got a lot of starters, and title calibur pieces, but I'm not sure there's a franchise player in this group (Although I'm waiting to see how Beasley measures, cause I don't buy the 6-8). The question with guys like that is how committed they are to the idea that they're franchise guys.

Billy Walker, a guy who's game I really wasn't fond of, has looked really good of late by the way.

Da KO King
02-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Gordon doesn't seem to explode into and out of his moves off the bounce. I think he'll have a nice lengthy NBA career but I'm starting to think he's going to struggle a lot more than people realize early on.

G-train
02-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Not a big fan of Rose, however I only have seen one game.

He seemed to force it unnecessarily at times, he reminded me of Devin Harris a bit which isnt a great thing for a potential top 3 pick.

I predict OJ Mayo will eventually have a Dwayne Wade type game/impact.

mrhoopfan
02-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Eric Gordon reminds me alot of Dajuan Wagner...i'm hoping EG can shoot at a 45% or higher clip in the NBA, I'm tired of guards shooting 35-41% from the field as pros

Lebron23
02-19-2008, 11:24 PM
you forget Brandon Jennings, he is the next Allen Iverson, or an upgraded version of Kenny Anderson.

wang4three
02-19-2008, 11:27 PM
In the beginning of the season, I was saying that--regretfully--Eric Gordon was the best player in the country. Now I'm amending that seeing how he isn't even the best player on his own team. That's DJ White. Watching them play against Purdue tonight only re-iterated that point.

The blue print to take Eric Gordon has been laid down. Once you put a guy as quick as him on the floor, he's stoppable. Chester Frazier, albeit an elite college defender, was able to stop him and take him out. I'm also beginning to think he's not mentally tough either. We got people getting into his skin and getting into his head that it takes him out of games too. I don't think he handles trash talking and just overall physical defense very well. Especially when he can't out tough the guy.

If I had to pick one guy, it'd be Derrick Rose. But truth is, none of these guys are ready for the NBA. They'd need 1 more season to get close, but we all know they're going to go regardless. It's almost sad cause while their talent level is high, they all have extremely huge holes in their games and parts that are not translatable to success in the NBA.

YAH trick YAH
02-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Gordon struggles against bigger guards, ala Calvin Brock and Brian Randle in both Illinois games. Hes a GREAT shooter though. He doesn't have that good of handle is another weakness he has. And I've heard that Jared Bayless may stay so he can play with Brandon Jennings next year.

AlThornton
02-19-2008, 11:56 PM
I guess I'm in the minority but i like DRose the most. I have done a lot of research of him lately, I also have seen 18 of his games( i have them all on my Hard Drive if anyone wants to see them).

He does not have a very good jumper, and is a questionable decision maker, but IMO he has an ability to just turn it on, and take over a game, weather it be a key block, an key rebound, or a key drive to the basket. I really can't explain it, but he has some great intangibles. He also is a great finisher around the basket, and has a great feel for the game in the winding minutes(except for the game vs UAB which I admit he looked very bad at the end of the game especially).

He has the attitude of a champion(as do others), but what separates him from the others is him knowing what to do in those winding minutes of a game. He is also a good defender, and when he wants to (which is when the game is close, or at the end of the game) he can totally shut down his opponent. John Calipari has some glowing things to say about him as well.

I also disagree with Da KO King, he is definitely a PG in the NBA.

Da KO King
02-20-2008, 12:21 AM
I also disagree with Da KO King, he is definitely a PG in the NBA.
Every guard under 6'5" comes into the NBA slotted to play the PG spot; doesn't make them all legit PG's.

Like the great Thorpesaurous once said, "The league has made a living converting undersized college SGs into PGs for the last 20 years..."

AlThornton
02-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Every guard under 6'5" comes into the NBA slotted to play the PG spot; doesn't make them all legit PG's.

Like the great Thorpesaurous once said, "The league has made a living converting undersized college SGs into PGs for the last 20 years..."

true, but DRose is a legit PG.

What makes you think he won't be one in the NBA? Ill give you questionable decision making, but that is sure to improve, i can almost guarantee it.

Da KO King
02-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Honestly this guard crop is a weird one.

The player most likely to enjoy early success, Eric Gordon, has the least upside.

The player with the most upside is also the least ready, Derrick Rose.

The player with the best mix of being ready and upside, OJ Mayo, was so highly touted coming into this year that his lack of awe inspiring numbers is seen as a short coming.

Da KO King
02-20-2008, 12:34 AM
true, but DRose is a legit PG.

What makes you think he won't be one in the NBA? Ill give you questionable decision making, but that is sure to improve, i can almost guarantee it.
He doesn't understand controlling pace, he doesn't quickly see the entire floor and make the "snap" decision, he can not read more than one defender at a time, and he will occasionally fall into a rut where he plays a bit outside of his team's concept.

I believe Rose will be a serious player; but much like rookie Dwyane Wade in Miami I think the PG experiment will be short lived.

AlThornton
02-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Honestly this guard crop is a weird one.

The player most likely to enjoy early success, Eric Gordon, has the least upside.

The player with the most upside is also the least ready, Derrick Rose.

The player with the best mix of being ready and upside, OJ Mayo, was so highly touted coming into this year that his lack of awe inspiring numbers is seen as a short coming.

Gordon has never really impressed me to be honest. He has good skills for college, but in the NBA Im not so sure.

OJ Mayo reminds me of Kobe Bryant without the elite athleticism.

Rose, ill agree with you is not as ready as Mayo, or Gordon, but does have athleticism on his side, and from all accounts is a hard worker, and is a guy who has intangibles in spades.

I like Bayless, but i question his frame(very skinny) and he does not have great balance, which could become a problem, especially with his slight frame.

Da KO King
02-20-2008, 08:58 AM
I like Bayless, but i question his frame(very skinny) and he does not have great balance, which could become a problem, especially with his slight frame.
I still haven't seen a full game from Bayless so I've tried not to guy him at this point. I wasn't overly impressed by what I seen him him in high school though.

allball
02-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I still haven't seen a full game from Bayless so I've tried not to guy him at this point. I wasn't overly impressed by what I seen him him in high school though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hu1FCRzYkE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw8UgV3YyCg

take another look

Da KO King
02-20-2008, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hu1FCRzYkE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw8UgV3YyCg

take another look
:rolleyes: Wow. :rolleyes:

Younggrease
04-01-2008, 09:46 PM
As time has progressed Im:

1. Starting to like Eric Gordon's game less. His handle and finishing ability leaves much to be desired.

2. I'm beggining to appreciate Derick rose more and feel that he will be better then Gordon or Mayo.

3. Still think Ricky Rubio is gonna be the best player..

here is some more stuff for people who dont follow Rubio..jump on the bandwagon now?

[QUOTE]Rubio has netted yet another Player of the Week award with his amazing game against Lagun Aro Bilbao. The best point guard in the ACB League (you’ve read right, he’s already the best and it’s not even close) just delivered another lesson about how to play this game. He’s everyday a better playmaker, more creative for his team, as well as for himself-- more able to invigorate the offensive flow, by taking controlled risks to disrupt the opponent’s defense in order to facilitate the scoring production for his team.

Rubio produced 18 points and 9 assists that nicely reflect his offensive efforts, rounded out with 5 rebounds and 2 steals. His efficiency production (a stat similar to the NBA’s EFF) is off the charts, ranking fourth in the ACB League overall, falling only behind the 1985-born standouts Marc Gasol, Rudy Fern

Dizzle-2k7
04-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Im having trouble deciding whether or not that spinning fadeway by Bayless is a travel... anyone wanna help me out?

unknown101
04-01-2008, 10:10 PM
rubio is overrated and plays against no talent

Da KO King
04-01-2008, 11:10 PM

1. Starting to like Eric Gordon's game less. His handle and finishing ability leaves much to be desired.
Definitely agree. I always viewed Gordon as a straight line slasher but I've started to question if he'll be able to get to the basket against NBA defenders.

GoldMedallist
04-02-2008, 03:39 AM

You don't know what you are talking about, ACB's level is much higher than NCAA, it's recognized as the 3rd best league in the world (Euroleague is 2nd) so think a bit before talking, dude.

chains5000
04-02-2008, 03:50 AM

2. I'm beggining to appreciate Derick rose more and feel that he will be better then Gordon or Mayo.

3. Still think Ricky Rubio is gonna be the best player..

here is some more stuff for people who dont follow Rubio..jump on the bandwagon now?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ricky-Rubio-1155/
You had to put an article on him destroying my home team?:mad:

chains5000
04-02-2008, 03:51 AM
Who is this ***hole?
ACB/Euroleague players >>> NCAA players

AlThornton
04-02-2008, 12:43 PM
You don't know what you are talking about, ACB's level is much higher than NCAA, it's recognized as the 3rd best league in the world (Euroleague is 2nd) so think a bit before talking, dude.

I really like Rubio, but I have a serious question, who is the best guard prospect he has gone up against, and how did he fare?

Da KO King
04-02-2008, 06:19 PM
I really like Rubio, but I have a serious question, who is the best guard prospect he has gone up against, and how did he fare?
Interesting question because I can't recall hearing about any marquee matchups involving Rubio.

WuTangWizard
04-02-2008, 06:24 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. The rankings in terms of the best prospects are
1. Derrick Rose
2. Eric Gordan
3. OJ Mayo
4. Rubio Scrub

KenneBell
04-02-2008, 06:28 PM
My list:

1. Rose
2. Mayo
3. Gordon
4. Rubio

Mayo is probably the most NBA ready of the group.

Younggrease
07-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Interesting question because I can't recall hearing about any marquee matchups involving Rubio.

he is playing for the Spainish National Team and recently hit Sarunas Jascabbages up with this move

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPSyScRcRRo

Ricky v. Portugal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrLFdhEN2Oc&feature=related

then highlights from against Russia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u5N3N_7hBU&feature=related

loot
07-26-2008, 06:09 PM
quicker than harris? ugh...

Grinder
07-26-2008, 06:33 PM
1.) Ricky Rubio
2.) OJ Mayo
3.) Eric Gordon
4.) Derrick Rose

I saw Ricky play again today and his defense is incredible. He's already a better defender and passer than the three other guys and his offense is catching up.

The Chosen One
07-26-2008, 06:39 PM
1) Ricky
2) Mayo
3) Rose
4) Gordon

Grinder
07-26-2008, 06:52 PM
You've gotta remember Ricky is putting up numbers in very limited minutes as well (around 15-20 minutes/game).

GOBB
07-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Ricky Rubio is getting too much hype from you dudes. But I guess this is similar to the hype Derrick Rose generated prior to arriving at Memphis.

Dasher
07-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Defensively Sarunas is not a Westbrook. Defense in the American game is a totally different animal. The things said about Rubio were said about Sergio Rodriguez and Roko Leni Ukic. Ukic has yet to play in the league, but Sergio has been a dissapointment. Randy Livingston also got this kind of hype. Excessively hyped precocious point guards come around often and rarely pan out.

Dasher
07-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Ricky Rubio is getting too much hype from you dudes. But I guess this is similar to the hype Derrick Rose generated prior to arriving at Memphis.
The preMemphis Rose hype was not as deafening. It reminded me of the Mo Williams to Alabama hype. The year before he hit Alabama Dickie V and Billy Packer would not shut the hell up about him, but this was before the internet hype became what it is today.

Younggrease
07-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Defensively Sarunas is not a Westbrook. Defense in the American game is a totally different animal. The things said about Rubio were said about Sergio Rodriguez and Roko Leni Ukic. Ukic has yet to play in the league, but Sergio has been a dissapointment. Randy Livingston also got this kind of hype. Excessively hyped precocious point guards come around often and rarely pan out.

If your using historical precedent as an argument, Roko and Sergio dont measure up. Even when Sergio was being talked about(got drafted 27th or something, Rubio is #1 on some draft boards )Ricky was thought to be a MUCH better prospect. So comparing him to Sergio just doesnt cut it.

Defense in the American game is different, there is less contact allowed and the pick and roll is defended horribly. Two things Rubio will exploit when he gets here.

Dasher
07-26-2008, 07:46 PM
If your using historical precedent as an argument, Roko and Sergio dont measure up. Even when Sergio was being talked about(got drafted 27th or something, Rubio is #1 on some draft boards )Ricky was thought to be a MUCH better prospect. So comparing him to Sergio just doesnt cut it.

Defense in the AMerican game is different, there is less contact allowed and the pick and roll is defended horribly. Two things Rubio will exploit when he gets here.
Spanish Chocolate was in the top 5 on internet draft boards for two years. Roko was as well. Defense in the American game is getting underrated. Euro coaches expect their American charges to be their best defenders. Rubio has yet to run up against a Devin Harris, Rajon Rondo,Westbrook, prime Lindsey Hunter, or prime Darrell Armstrong in Europe. Hell Rubio will have to really work on his defense himself because his stance is awful, and he will get embarrased regularly in the NBA, where you can't maul your opponent in an effort to mask your inability to stay in front of your man.

Younggrease
07-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Spanish Chocolate was in the top 5 on internet draft boards for two years. Roko was as well. Defense in the American game is getting underrated. Euro coaches expect their American charges to be their best defenders. Rubio has yet to run up against a Devin Harris, Rajon Rondo,Westbrook, prime Lindsey Hunter, or prime Darrell Armstrong in Europe. Hell Rubio will have to really work on his defense himself because his stance is awful, and he will get embarrased regularly in the NBA, where you can't maul your opponent in an effort to mask your inability to stay in front of your man.

I wasnt aware that to be good in your book Ricky would have to go in a time machine and face defensive pgs. I also doubt he has trouble with any of the listed pgs defense(that are still in the NBA). He will have trouble with guys like Deron Williams and Baron Davis but the kid is 17 and he body is still developing.

And I doubt he gets embarassed in the NBA. This is the same league that Calderon and Steve Nash play in??Rubio is already better defensively at 17 then both of them. Rubio has tools on defense you just teach and Im sure he will adapt just fine. I think many underestimate his athletism, maybe you should check out the Argentina game where he chasing down Ginobili while giving him a 15 foot head start.

no he wasnt...I followed Sergio pre draft and he was never regarded as that high of a prospect. And I dont remeber Roko being a top 5 pick either(never really took an interet in him or cared much about him). But fact remains were either EVER projected as the #1 pick...

When Rubio plays team USA and does his thing maybe people will take notice...

hotsizzle
07-27-2008, 10:17 PM
I'd like to change my early stance...I think Mayo will be the best guard out of those guys.

Darius
07-28-2008, 01:01 AM
Rubio's game looks like a carbon copy of Shaun Livingston's (when he was healthy and still had his confidence) - even his set jumper is exactly the same.

baseketball4life
07-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Mayo will be the best IMO

the sleeper here is Eric Gordon, he could easily turn out to be the best one

The Chosen One
07-28-2008, 11:46 AM
I wasnt aware that to be good in your book Ricky would have to go in a time machine and face defensive pgs. I also doubt he has trouble with any of the listed pgs defense(that are still in the NBA). He will have trouble with guys like Deron Williams and Baron Davis but the kid is 17 and he body is still developing.

And I doubt he gets embarassed in the NBA. This is the same league that Calderon and Steve Nash play in??Rubio is already better defensively at 17 then both of them. Rubio has tools on defense you just teach and Im sure he will adapt just fine. I think many underestimate his athletism, maybe you should check out the Argentina game where he chasing down Ginobili while giving him a 15 foot head start.

no he wasnt...I followed Sergio pre draft and he was never regarded as that high of a prospect. And I dont remeber Roko being a top 5 pick either(never really took an interet in him or cared much about him). But fact remains were either EVER projected as the #1 pick...

When Rubio plays team USA and does his thing maybe people will take notice...

Just to add a note about Ricky's defense... In the pre-olympics (where Spain has faced Argentina twice) Ricky is averaging 2.8 steals per game... In 14 MPG. That's about 8 SPG in 40 minutes :eek: :eek: :wtf:

DinoRadja40
07-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Eric Gordon is an overhyped bust. He can shoot the ball sure, but nothing else. His fg% was horrible last year, he cant dribble, pass and possesses no D what so ever. This guy choked in the two big final games last year(minnesota, arkansas.) and he is a nobody. FuVck you Eric Gordon you are a *****, from one hoosier to another, only i stuck around for the degree you b!!tch.

Deandre Thompson is better than this mug.

JackTheRipper
07-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Eric Gordon is an overhyped bust. He can shoot the ball sure, but nothing else. His fg% was horrible last year, he cant dribble, pass and possesses no D what so ever. This guy choked in the two big final games last year(minnesota, arkansas.) and he is a nobody. FuVck you Eric Gordon you are a *****, from one hoosier to another, only i stuck around for the degree you b!!tch.

You know he was playing on an injury for most of the season right? Not that I think he is going to be a great player, but he is probably going to surprise people that only saw him while injured.

Rekindled
07-28-2008, 12:20 PM
ricky rubio = the new manu. Very similar play style.

berraco
07-28-2008, 01:04 PM
:wtf:
Are we talking about the same Rubio and the same Manu? I don't see many similarities...

Emeka Okafor xD
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM

No,
1/2 Steve Nashty
1/2 pete maravich

Younggrease
07-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Ricky Rubio will be playing in a half hour with the Spainish National team...

the link is here

http://www.misexta.tv/home/5_2/22/121

Rubio is starting

picc84
07-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Rubio hasnt even entered the game yet and the first quarter is over.

But Spain is really, really good.

This is not gonna be easy.

Grinder
07-28-2008, 02:54 PM

What are you talking about? He started and played until there was 3 minutes to go in the first and had a sick alley oop to Pau.

Why do people make up **** without having a clue? :roll:

Younggrease
07-28-2008, 02:57 PM

He started..He played until the 4 minute mark. Throw an opp to Pau that was pretty nice but seemed to try and do to much.

Oh and Spain is really good, they are gonna be a huge problem. No one on Team USA can guard Pau...They left the regular big men that can at home.

Grinder
07-28-2008, 03:03 PM
He started..He played until the 4 minute mark. Throw an opp to Pau that was pretty nice but seemed to try and do to much.

Oh and Spain is really good, they are gonna be a huge problem. No one on Team USA can guard Pau...They left the regular big men that can at home.

Nah, Dwight and Bosh can guard Pau. Pau has been sucking all tournament, the Hungarian national team makes Pau look like Wilt Chamberlin. :p

Marc has really been outperforming Pau the last few games.

Younggrease
07-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Nah, Dwight and Bosh can guard Pau. Pau has been sucking all tournament, the Hungarian national team makes Pau look like Wilt Chamberlin. :p

Marc has really been outperforming Pau the last few games.

Sad part is Team USA is so small that keeping Marc Gasol out of the paint and off the glass is gonna be a huge concern...

and are they saying "RICKY BUSINESS" ??

picc84
07-28-2008, 03:18 PM
What are you talking about? He started and played until there was 3 minutes to go in the first and had a sick alley oop to Pau.

Why do people make up **** without having a clue? :roll:

Are we watching the same game? On the link he posted they're playing spain vs lithuania and rubio wasnt in the game until the second. They showed a shot of the bench and he was clearly there, sitting down.

Younggrease
07-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Are we watching the same game? On the link he posted they're playing spain vs lithuania and rubio wasnt in the game until the second. They showed a shot of the bench and he was clearly there, sitting down.

Wrong game...but if your watching that game Rubio does some stuff in the 3rd quarter(thats the game he does the move thats on youtube now)...Right now they are playing Hungaria and its halftime..

picc84
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM

The thing this shows is that everyone on the floor for usa has to be able to score. There cant be any liabilities. Every one of spains players can shoot and finish. This is why Deron and CP need to be on the floor at all times, one of them. I'd hate to see us lose because Kidd cant score.

Grinder
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM

Ah you're watching the tape of that match?

http://es.justin.tv/lasexta6

Hungary vs. Spain live going on right now.

picc84
07-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Rubio's nice on defense.

Nobody in intl comp. misses open shots.

Grinder
07-28-2008, 03:39 PM
lol, this kid is ridiculous, did you see that no look behind the back pass in traffic to Pau who then touch passed it to Reyes for the easy lay in?

Grinder
07-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Daaamn, Navarro just slipped and landed awkardly on the ground, he has to be helped off the court and looks like he's in a lot of pain. Not good for Spain.

All this with Spain up 52, very unfortunate.

baseketball4life
07-28-2008, 04:37 PM

he has an amazing 43 inch vert, and threw down some nasty dunks during his season at Indiana and in high school.

Younggrease
08-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Rubio is already a better defender then CP3 at 17....is this really even a contest when compared to Mayo, Rose, Gordon and Bayless?

GOBB
08-12-2008, 08:20 PM
lol

AppleNader
08-12-2008, 08:27 PM
somebody describe Eric Gordon's game. I've never followed him.

I keep hearing about how he is such a good shooter, but is he really? his college FG/3-point % were pretty low, but was that more a result of him having to take more diffcult shots?. What else does he have?

Younggrease
08-12-2008, 08:44 PM
somebody describe Eric Gordon's game. I've never followed him.

I keep hearing about how he is such a good shooter, but is he really? his college FG/3-point % were pretty low, but was that more a result of him having to take more diffcult shots?. What else does he have?

he hurt his wrist and instead of taking good shots took dumber shots...he could learn from Ricky

ZeN
08-12-2008, 08:51 PM
...since hes a clipper... then im on the Gordon bandwagon...

AppleNader
08-12-2008, 08:54 PM
he hurt his wrist and instead of taking good shots took dumber shots...he could learn from Ricky

I thought everybody was raving about Gordon's J even before he got hurt

Da KO King
08-12-2008, 09:01 PM
The wrist injury is a cop out. In reality Gordon's numbers fell because he went from facing weak competition like Chattanooga to stronger Big Ten opponents.

AppleNader
08-12-2008, 09:04 PM
so he isn't as good of a shooter as people made him out to be?

Da KO King
08-12-2008, 09:08 PM
so he isn't as good of a shooter as people made him out to be?
Honestly none of the freshmen that recently got drafted are as good as people made/make them out to be.

lilojmayo
08-13-2008, 05:32 PM
OK OJ MAYO IS CLEARLY THE BEST HE WILL BE GOAT BUT LETS C WHO COMES IN SECOND

i say Eric Gordon>Ricky Rubio If you watched the Las Vegas Summer League Eric Gordon looked like a 6'2 LBJ when attacking the basket nobody could keep him out the lane and he had so many and1 he is so quick to faster than derrick rose end to end check pre camp results if you dont believe me

Ricky solid PG nothing special
Rose BUST

Lebron23
11-08-2008, 12:14 AM
OK OJ MAYO IS CLEARLY THE BEST HE WILL BE GOAT BUT LETS C WHO COMES IN SECOND

Rose BUST

:roll: :oldlol: :roll:

Derrick Rose > OJ Mayo

JPR
11-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Derrick Rose >> Chris Paul

bleedinpurpleTwo
11-08-2008, 12:28 AM
JCritt will be better than all.... I hope.

Crazy Style
11-08-2008, 12:29 AM
I don't care what anybody says, but Rose is absolutely ballin' and the Bulls have been blessed with an incredible floor leader! This kids future should be great! He also played great against the Suns 18 points and 6 assists in a great win 100-83! It's also nice to see him leading all rookies in points with 17.83 ppg.:cheers:

JPR
11-08-2008, 12:34 AM
I don't care what anybody says, but Rose is absolutely ballin' and the Bulls have been blessed with an incredible floor leader! This kids future should be great! He also played great against the Suns 18 points and 6 assists in a great win 100-83! It's also nice to see him leading all rookies in points with 17.83 ppg.:cheers:

in the 4th quarter when he split those two defenders (Barbosa and some great white stiff with some femmy euro name) and ended up jamming it home...i seriously had flashback to '98...the Jordan years. That's the last time I saw an athlete like Rose donning a Bulls uni.

lilojmayo
11-08-2008, 12:38 AM

i was wrong about Drose he 4 real he is my second favorite player to watch

1. OJ
2. Drose
3.Rudy Fernandez
4.Melo

when it all said and done Mayo will lead rookies in scoring and win ROY he is so unbelievable raw

Drose is explosive he is shooting 2/4 on 3s this season but you can tell he doesnt trust his 17-25range shot at all it isnt as bad as Lebron but he needs alot of work in that part of his game.

Crazy Style
11-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Ricky solid PG nothing special
Rose BUST

Are you freakin' serious have you seen this guy play!:wtf: He's strong, fast and elusive as hell. Can do a little of everything and he's only going to get better. He drives to the basket as well as and better than most point gaurds already weather it's a strong dunk or creative layup. His mid range shot is a lot better than I thought it would be as well. Whoever seen this stud play knows what I'm talking about. He hasn't disapointed one bit in and in fact he's been better than expected! Great young point gaurd!:D

YAH trick YAH
11-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Lol at Rose being a bust, clown

JPR
11-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Tonight I got a kick out of Shaq's dumbfounded azz sitting on the bench with his jaw dropped to the floor everytime he saw D. Rose drive the lane and either jam it home or lay it up so smoothly. i was rewinding that ish on the DVR. Shaq was like...Whoa! boy can straight play.

lilojmayo
11-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Are you freakin' serious have you seen this guy play!:wtf: He's strong, fast and elusive as hell. Can do a little of everything and he's only going to get better. He drives to the basket as well as and better than most point gaurds already weather it's a strong dunk or creative layup. His mid range shot is a lot better than I thought it would be as well. Whoever seen this stud play knows what I'm talking about. He hasn't disapointed one bit in and in fact he's been better than expected! Great young point gaurd!:D

i failed on that behalf i thought drose was going ot be nothing more than a bust, i judge wrong im a bulls fan again i put all my bulls fan again drose my second fav player behind mayo. ImDRose thats what i say when i make a strong drive to the basket

Crazy Style
11-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Glad to see that you changed your mind about Rose, lilojmayo. I thought he would have an imediate impact from the start unlike some others and I was right! Too many people were under estimating his talent.

JPR
11-08-2008, 12:44 AM
one of the countless things that is likeable about D Rose is the fact that at least 55% of his points come in the paint! does that remind anyone else of a certain chicago baller who is young and already sports a ring?

JPR
11-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Glad to see that you changed your mind about Rose, lilojmayo. I thought he would have an imediate impact from the start unlike some others and I was right! Too many people were under estimating his talent.

yeah those are called haters. lots of people like to hate on the chitown bulls. probably becuase of the domination they used to have over towns like cleveland, salt lake city, and new york city. either way, they've been silenced now.

Crazy Style
11-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Lol at Rose being a bust, clown

Yea aint that a load of crap! How could anyone even think that! He definatley should move some heads, ecspecially all those haters. Go Bulls and Go Rose!

Crazy Style
11-08-2008, 12:50 AM
one of the countless things that is likeable about D Rose is the fact that at least 55% of his points come in the paint! does that remind anyone else of a certain chicago baller who is young and already sports a ring?

D. Wade baby and I hope the Bulls sign him in 2010! Imagine Rose and Wade on the same team!

lilojmayo
11-08-2008, 02:18 AM

for the second straight night mayo had the best game out of all the rookies 20pts 9rebs 4assist wow

JJ81
11-08-2008, 02:18 AM
Rubio, get to the NBA already.

Positive
11-08-2008, 02:33 AM
for the second straight night mayo had the best game out of all the rookies 20pts 9rebs 4assist wow

uh no... Beasley had 20 points 8 rebs 3 assists 2 steals 2 blocks and less TOs while shooting a better percentage and in less playing time...

lilojmayo
11-08-2008, 02:41 AM
uh no... Beasley had 20 points 8 rebs 3 assists 2 steals 2 blocks and less TOs while shooting a better percentage and in less playing time...

ok you obviously didnt watch the game its not all about the stats in the beginning of the second half memphis was down by two points and mayo made 6 straight points and an assist to swing the memphis back up six and they never looked back

Miami was going to win against a parkless and mauless spurs with or without beasley.

its so scary each game mayo has played he has looked better than b4 its scary to think of the numbers he will be putting up midway in the season. 28pts 6 3s then 20pts 9rebs 4assist from a rookie unheard of.

anyway who is going to be the rookie scoring champion

right now its

1.Drose 17.83
2.Beasley 17.6
3.Mayo 17.3

KeylessEntry
11-08-2008, 03:16 AM
There are some very talented rookies this year. At this point, after watching Rose, Gordon and Mayo all have great games, its hard to pick a best prospect. They are all great prospects. Rubio definitely has shown promise, but I dont want to pass much judgement untill I see him in action in the NBA.

But really, the best guard is Rudy Fernandez!

bdreason
11-08-2008, 03:41 AM
I'll take Rose at this point.

YAH trick YAH
11-08-2008, 05:11 AM
ok you obviously didnt watch the game its not all about the stats in the beginning of the second half memphis was down by two points and mayo made 6 straight points and an assist to swing the memphis back up six and they never looked back

Miami was going to win against a parkless and mauless spurs with or without beasley.

its so scary each game mayo has played he has looked better than b4 its scary to think of the numbers he will be putting up midway in the season. 28pts 6 3s then 20pts 9rebs 4assist from a rookie unheard of.

anyway who is going to be the rookie scoring champion

right now its

1.Drose 17.83
2.Beasley 17.6
3.Mayo 17.3

Jeez kid, you will do say anything just to make sure your boyfriend OJ will be on top. First you say he has the best game and put his stats, then when you get proved wrong you say its not about stats.:hammerhead:

Manute for Ever!
11-08-2008, 05:19 AM
If lilojmayo was more of a homer, he would be typing in bold and using eight emoticons in every post :banghead:

Younggrease
03-17-2009, 10:44 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/derrickrose.jpeg
Derrick Rose - seems to be the most athletic..But is also the least skilled imo. Seems to be passive and has a very spotty jumpshot. Very raw and tweenish...Could end up being another shorter but quicker Devin Harris or could be an all star.

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/o.j.mayo.jpg
OJ Mayo - Looks to be 6"4, doesnt have an amazing first step. Has trouble beating lower level college players with it. Is way more skilled then Rose but has issues with shot selection and overall athletism. Will he be able to get to the basket or will it be all long jumpers. Also is solid defensively but is still making freshmen mistakes. Im not sold on this guy as the next big thing but he will be a good player. Just not someone's skill set I would personally want on my squad.

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/rickyrubio.jpg

Ricky Rubio- Is a great defender..Has amazing feel for the game. At 17 years old he is third in efficiency in the ACB league(very solid lg) and is killing it. Im really sold on this kid as he knows how to score when needed as well. Could be the next pg to join the ranks of Deron Williams and Chris Paul as the next gen point guards.

After 10 games.
14.7 pt ranks 6th
2.7 reb
3.4 as
2,67 st ranks 1st

playing only 25 minutes per game.

60% 2s 39% 3s 86% ft

http://www.draftexpress.com/headshots/ericgordon.jpg
Eric Gordon- I really like this kid in college. Love his skill set although he is small for a two guard. I also dislike the Ben Gordon comparisons as I see him as a more Mitch Ritchmond type body in the end. This kid is gonna be a player in the NBA and I feel he might sneak up and be a better player then Derrick Rose and possibly OJ Mayo. Kid is so underrated by these scouting sites like Draft Express...#9???best case is Randy Foye??

In my opinion I as prospects I think it has to go

1. Ricky Rubio
2. OJ Mayo
3. Eric Gordon
4. Derrick Rose

I just dont get how Rose is so overrated right now...comparisons to JKidd at draft express?? he isnt even a true pg.

predictions werent that bad...

Interminator
03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
predictions werent that bad...
Yeah they were.

1.Rose
2.Mayo
3.Gordon
4.Rubio

Until Rubio plays a ****ing NBA game you can't consider him to be better than either of the 3 top rookies in the NBA.

:roll: @ Derrick Rose being 4th.

Younggrease
03-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Yeah they were.

1.Rose
2.Mayo
3.Gordon
4.Rubio

Until Rubio plays a ****ing NBA game you can't consider him to be better than either of the 3 top rookies in the NBA.

:roll: @ Derrick Rose being 4th.

Sorry but talent shines through...Runtio is way nicer then Rose and Gordon...The only mistake I made was putting Gordon ahead of Rose.

It should have been

Rubio(kid is about to come in and just bring so much to the game)

Mayo
Rose
Gordon

Interminator
03-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Sorry but talent shines through...Runtio is way nicer then Rose and Gordon...The only mistake I made was putting Gordon ahead of Rose.

It should have been

Rubio(kid is about to come in and just bring so much to the game)

Mayo
Rose
Gordon
I agree I think Rubio is a talented player but I would not put him above Rose,Gordon,or Mayo until he at leasts plays a Summer League game.

InspiredLebowski
03-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I bet I have a post somewhere in this thread saying Gordon was going to take time to develop and would have plenty of troubles his rookie year. I am a great judge of talent.

Carbine
03-18-2009, 01:36 PM
You got to stop with the Rubio loving. This **** about putting him over Rose right now is real premature considering Rubio hasn't played a game agaisnt NBA players, while Rose is the probable Rookie Of The Year and is shooting 46% as a rookie guard.

Rose is clearly better at this point if only for the fact that he's proven himself against the top players in the game.

Bottom line is Rubio should not be ranked numer 1 when all other logical reasons would put him at 4. Who even cares about how well his defense is? It's not that big of an advantage for point guards considering most points run pick and roll which take away a players man to man defensive ability.

Darius
03-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I bet I have a post somewhere in this thread saying Gordon was going to take time to develop and would have plenty of troubles his rookie year. I am a great judge of talent.

Troubles?

Since Gordon was inserted as a starter in December is averaging over 18 points a game with a TS% of over 60.

InspiredLebowski
03-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Troubles?

Since Gordon was inserted as a starter in December is averaging over 18 points a game with a TS% of over 60.

Not good with self-depricating sarcasm?

bdreason
03-18-2009, 02:40 PM
For me it's:

Gordon - Already plays like a vet, with a ton of upside. Has a beautiful stroke from 3, and gets to the rim agressively (and often). I'm really high on this guy, so just call me a homer if you must.

Rose - Tons of potential, and the ability to play the point effectively, as well as score in bunches. If he develops a consistant jumper, watch out.

Mayo - Currently the most complete player. Less upside than Rose and Gordon, but he's looking like a gauranteed solid career.

Rubio - I just haven't seen enough to place him over the other guys. When he plays a season of NBA ball I'll evaluate.

Younggrease
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Rubo got his own shoe now and his got his own set of signature moves...Nike knows whats up.

Ricky Rubio Euro Step - those guys never had a chance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR3TXMbKgVE

Ricky Rubio Sig No Look Pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOLkVnArx2g

Wow this kid is gonna be a force

Some Rubio stuff against team usa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5mpST596qU

Lakas Fan Yo
03-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Ricky Rubio Euroleague

rookie year

34.8 FG%
16.7 3 PT%
76.6 Ft%

3.6 PPG
2.4 RPG
2.8 APG

3.2 SPG
0.1 BPG

1.9 TOPG

second year

30.0 FG%
33.3 3 PT%
62.5 Ft%

2.4 PPG
2.4 RPG
2.8 APG

1.8 SPG
0.1 BPG

2.4 TOPG

And I know everyone says he was injured which is true, but look at him in the ACB when he plays a big Euroleague club, he doesn't lead his team to victories and just racks up stats in an offense that lets him do whatever and play however. He's certainly not bringing wins and overall impact like some other guys do in the ACB. And when a Spanish homer jumps in starts their nonsense just know these are the biggest sports homers in the world. Remember according to these same people Fernandez is better than Kobe, when in fact he was never even the best guy in Spain.

I have to say Rubio is definitely the most talented of these players being discussed in this thread, but let's hold off on some of this ludicrous hype. He's 18 years old, he's not ready yet.

And all this ACB hype is nonsense. It's like Spanish basketball fans have taken over the basketball hype machine in the whole world. The ACB isn't all that good of a league, it's nowhere close to the level of the Euroleague. They already did this same thing with how they insanely over hyped Jasikevicius and Fernandez, who were never anything special at all in Europe.

But to hear Spanish fans talk they were unbelievable. Meanwhile, guys like Marc Gasol and Luis Scola who were actually the better players in Spain didn't get one mention. Rubio is the golden boy of this Spanish hype machine.

He's 10 times more talented than Rudy Fernandez is, but let's try to stay objective. He's not even one of the better players in Europe yet. He really should not declare for the draft, he's not ready.

LA_Showtime
03-18-2009, 07:08 PM
I would take Derrick Rose over Eric Gordon, even though Gordon has been an absolute monster this year and has the makings of a franchise player. As for Rubio, I haven't seen him play very much, but he's supposed to possess a great basketball IQ and if I'm New York I try to get him in the draft this summer or next. OJ Mayo's future looks blurry to me. He's got a lot of talent, but I don't ever see him reaching the level of a Kobe or even a Brandon Roy.

lilojmayo
03-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Mayo is the best player he is putting up numbers as a rookie that Kobe didn't start doing until his 3rd season.

1. OJ Mayo
2. Eric Gordon
3. Derrick Rose
4. Brandon Jennings
5. Rick Rubio

If we were to rank.

Al Thornton
03-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Mayo is the best player he is putting up numbers as a rookie that Kobe didn't start doing until his 3rd season.

1. OJ Mayo
2. Eric Gordon
3. Derrick Rose
4. Brandon Jennings
5. Rick Rubio

If we were to rank.

Alright with this. You can say Mayo is a good player or whatever you want but cmon you can't be this idiotic. Mayo was the third pick, Kobe was the 13th pick out of high school. Lower expectations plus not even starting what do you expect? Also he joined a good established team unlike Mayo. And just face it, the list is like this. A great overall player in Gordon who can do everything including attacking, getting free throws and shooting mid range to threes. He also isn't the greatest passer but he isn't bad. In the words of Stephen Jackson "He's a franchise player" OJ on the other hand is a pure shooter with a little variety like Ray Allen.

1. Eric Gordon
2. Derrick Rose
3. OJ Mayo

O.J A 6'4Mamba
09-19-2009, 09:23 AM
mayo

bagelred
09-19-2009, 10:54 AM
I'll go with O.J.

xOShakespearexO
09-19-2009, 07:38 PM
I'll go with O.J.
what he said

nbastatus
09-19-2009, 07:55 PM
http://pippenainteasy.com/files/2009/06/derrick-rose.jpg

Killuminati90
09-19-2009, 09:33 PM
D-Rose will own all this guys, although im spanish and i like Ricky Rubio.

IGOTGAME
01-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Rubio is definitely legit. I undersold Derrick Rose(really didn't like him at Memphis. Boy was I wrong. I knew he would be an all star and a great player but never thought he would be so good so early.