PDA

View Full Version : Allen Iverson's Crossover vs. Michael Jordan's Crossover

C.L.W. "DatDude"
12-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Its a stretch to compare this particular A.I. crossover to Jordan's because of what MJ's meant, but Allen Iverson's crossover on the best player in the game should be up there with the highest. That crossover really put him on the map.

Which was better in your honest opinion???

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/bigske76/Allen20Iverson20Puts20Michael20Jord.gif
VS.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/hsebballinplaya/MJ.gif

Jimmy2k8
12-08-2007, 06:35 PM
photobucket crossover>>>>AI crossover

C.L.W. "DatDude"
12-08-2007, 06:38 PM
photobucket crossover>>>>AI crossover
What do you mean? What happened?

bleedinpurpleTwo
12-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Tim Hardaway

C.L.W. "DatDude"
12-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Tim Hardaway
of the two posted.

K.Koscik
12-08-2007, 06:42 PM
The Michael Jordan crossover doesn't work.

Kobe24
12-08-2007, 06:49 PM
I don't like that MJ one. AI's crossover on MJ is legendary though.

inclinerator
12-08-2007, 06:51 PM
comparing a young michael to a young iverson would be better

Lakerfan1-Iceland
12-08-2007, 07:11 PM
this is dumb!
Mike was 6,6 AI is 6,1!
The ultimate master of the perfect crossover was Tim Hardaway back in the day.
There were others like Isiah Thomas and more who did it well but in the early 90s Tim Hardaway pretty much perfected the move.
Iverson came into the league in 96 and he probably can do it as well as Timmy did but Michael Jordan and crossover move should NOT be in any discussions!

hateraid
12-08-2007, 07:26 PM
In the scenario of the thread title AI's crossover, no contest. As you can see AI never had to physically move the defender out the way.

In the case of who has the best crossover period, I'd agree with most that it's Tim Hardaway. But AI re-invented and popularized it.
The UTEP 2-step more froze a defender in his path, allowing Timmy to blow by them. It's adifficult move to do because of the timing, and the fact that you had to put the ball through your legs first.
AI's was a simple change direction. But what made it so exciting to watch was that it made the defender go the wrong direction. Seeing it done on national T.V the Reebok putting out a commercial teaching you how to do it, there was no gym in America where you didn't see it being done.

bigkingsfan
12-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Too bad Ai carried the ball, going with MJ here.

Loki
12-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Jordan had an "old school" crossover -- he didn't really extend the ball as far out as today's players do or carry it as much on the move. But he certainly did have an effective crossover. He scrapes Dumars with it at the 35 second mark here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVUXJ8Q7ehY

They showed this same play from an angle behind Jordan's back during John Thompson's interview with MJ during the 2003 ASG, and having never seen it, I was shocked that a 6'6" player could change directions that quickly. It's hard to tell with all the moving players closer to the camera from the above angle, but from the other angle it's amazing. I've seen him do similar to guys like Majerle and Starks as well with the same move.

I wouldn't say that it's as effective as AI's however, since 1) AI is smaller/quicker, 2) he carries it a lot more on the move, and 3) ballhandling moves like AI's "new school" crossover didn't exist back then.

allizzle
12-08-2007, 08:04 PM
this is dumb!
Mike was 6,6 AI is 6,1!
The ultimate master of the perfect crossover was Tim Hardaway back in the day.
There were others like Isiah Thomas and more who did it well but in the early 90s Tim Hardaway pretty much perfected the move.
Iverson came into the league in 96 and he probably can do it as well as Timmy did but Michael Jordan and crossover move should NOT be in any discussions!

gyu
12-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Tim Hardaway's crossover is better than both.

Q.E.C
12-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Jordan had an "old school" crossover -- he didn't really extend the ball as far out as today's players do or carry it as much on the move. But he certainly did have an effective crossover. He scrapes Dumars with it at the 35 second mark here:

They showed this same play from an angle behind Jordan's back during John Thompson's interview with MJ during the 2003 ASG, and having never seen it, I was shocked that a 6'6" player could change directions that quickly. It's hard to tell with all the moving players closer to the camera from the above angle, but from the other angle it's amazing. I've seen him do similar to guys like Majerle and Starks as well with the same move.

I wouldn't say that it's as effective as AI's however, since 1) AI is smaller/quicker, 2) he carries it a lot more on the move, and 3) ballhandling moves like AI's "new school" crossover didn't exist back then.

on 1:20, that was one of the best passes i've ever seen.

Richie2k6
12-08-2007, 09:11 PM
- Jordan wass a better defender, no, MUCH better defender than Russell
- Jordan penetrated and pulled back, with a light push on Russell. Iverson didn't lay a finger on Jordan and did it without running
- Jordan was facing AI the whole time, Russell had to go side-to-side with Jordan to keep up. Jordan was running, Iverson was on the spot.

Iverson's was better. Looked better and was harder to do.

chopchop20
12-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Neither could dribble behind their back like Isiah

Samurai Swoosh
12-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Best crossover of ALL-TIME

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/MitchMatch/IversonrocksJordan.gif

Chalkmaze
12-09-2007, 01:08 AM
The Iverson crossover was blown WAYYYYY out of proportion... it's nice.. but come on...

The Jordan "ref's swallowed whistle", offensive foul, push-off crossover? Hey that's fine and all... but he did foul and get away with it, so I don't know how great you can call that.

Samurai Swoosh
12-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Jordan didn't push off enough for an offensive foul. He had his hand on his ass, but it wasn't that bad.

Wade had an ugly one on Eric Snow a few years ago.

B-Low
12-09-2007, 01:24 AM
I will never understand how ISH folks get off topic so fast. The question is which is better, the AI crossover shown, or the Jordan one. We get like 5 "Tim Hardaway is better" comments and one about Isaiah Thomas. It's really not rocket science.

To answer the question that was actually ASKED tho, it's AI. Jordan pushed off and it was just Russell guarding him

TheOne
12-09-2007, 01:41 AM
MJ's left leg says "go right"; his right leg says "go left". lmao

NugzFan
12-09-2007, 02:19 AM
The Iverson crossover was blown WAYYYYY out of proportion... it's nice.. but come on...

no, it was that good. i guess the computers in utah arent too clear.

Chalkmaze
12-09-2007, 11:13 AM
no, it was that good. i guess the computers in utah arent too clear.

There have been enough scrubs over the years that have demonstrated a killer crossover on a superstar every once in while, that it's really not... It's very good, don't get me wrong... But everyone somehow made that crossover make Iverson better than Jordan and all that.. Maybe it's the high altitude in Colorado, that makes you a little more excited than you should be. One play does not make the player. Remember when Gary Payton stripped it from Jordan and then dunked in in the finals? Who cares... it's one nice play... Jordan had them all the time. As far as comparing these two crossovers... if we are talking about impact... then Jordan's win's hands down.

AI Nuggets3
12-09-2007, 12:34 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KDLnZ01CDvo

Marv Albert calling one of A.I's most famous crossovers. slightly offtopic but hey its Marv.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VrDhSYcju68&feature=related and we cant forget this one...

EricForman
12-09-2007, 12:43 PM
AIs is better. but really, everyones right... Tim Hardaways crossover is better than both.

RIMMER
12-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Jordan's fade away >>>> Life

AI Nuggets3
12-09-2007, 12:55 PM
AIs is better. but really, everyones right... Tim Hardaways crossover is better than both.

for once i agree with Eric. Tim's just seemed tighter, quicker, etc. hard to describe. everyone copied Hardaway.

Da KO King
12-09-2007, 12:55 PM
The AI crossover was obviously better but it is in fact the most over-hyped crossover in NBA history.

Honestly, I don't even put it in AI's top 10 all time. Only reason people talk about it is because it was Michael Jordan and it is one of the few embarrassing MJ moments that the NBA/media has no problem replaying.

AI Nuggets3
12-09-2007, 12:59 PM
well its definitely overhyped. it's 5'11 Iverson at his fastest vs 34 year old 6'6 Jordan.

still fun to watch tho, especially since MJ and Iverson were somewhat feuding during that time. nice to see MJ get burned for once.

EricForman
12-09-2007, 02:08 PM
The AI crossover was obviously better but it is in fact the most over-hyped crossover in NBA history.

Honestly, I don't even put it in AI's top 10 all time. Only reason people talk about it is because it was Michael Jordan and it is one of the few embarrassing MJ moments that the NBA/media has no problem replaying.

You make it sound like there are tons of embarassing Jordan moments that the media somehow tries to hide.

Jordan has been owned highlight wise or even box score wise fewer than just abuot every other all time great combined....

Loki
12-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Remember when Gary Payton stripped it from Jordan and then dunked in in the finals? Who cares... it's one nice play...

What's even funnier about that play (and goes to show you how people will unwittingly twist their memories) is that Payton didn't strip Jordan, Vincent Askew did. Payton just picked up the loose ball and took it in for the dunk with Jordan trailing.

Samurai Swoosh
12-09-2007, 02:29 PM
I hated GP that series ... he was always talking and staring at Jordan. Usually as they were losing, and as Jordan was demolishing whoever.

Samurai Swoosh
12-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I hate that people act like Jordan was some super slow 34 year old. He was the best player in the league, still one of the most capable physically, and was an all first team defender. No excuses, he got broke the **** off. And it's hardly overrated. He got broke off something ugly, and it only adds to the aura that it WAS on Jordan, the best player of All-Time and probably the best permiter defender to play the game.

Samurai Swoosh
12-09-2007, 02:33 PM
And ... ummm ... No. Hardaway's crossover wasn't better than Iversons.

New generation crossover >>> the old pitter patter crossover.

guy
12-09-2007, 02:41 PM
AI's crossover was better. But Jordan's crossover on Bird in the 63-point game was equal.

Uchiha_Hai
12-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Are you comparing just those two screens there or you talking about overall?

Cause Iverson blows Jordan's crossover out of the ballpark.

To be honest, Jordan's crossover looked like shit, I don't care about bs like old school crossover. When something dosen't look good, it just dosen't look good. It wasn't even that effective, Russel was a old slow guy back then.

And wtf is Loki talking about in his first post? All he had to say was Iverson had the better crossover in general.

BIZARRO
12-10-2007, 12:21 AM
MJ was like 105 in both vids.

Catch MJ in '88 and his smokes all.

Da KO King
12-10-2007, 01:46 PM
You make it sound like there are tons of embarassing Jordan moments that the media somehow tries to hide.
If you means tons as in the amount of clips that Greg Anthony or Shawn Bradley are the victims on someone else's highlight then no.

If by tons you mean more than the one or two the media shows, then yes.

Besides Allen Iverson, Michael has been crossed by: Damon Stoudemire, Rod Strickland, Grant Hill, and Steve Smith (not a cross just Smith's unstoppable fake spin move) off the top of my head. Pretty sure there are quite a few others.

Jordan has been owned highlight wise or even box score wise fewer than just abuot every other all time great combined....So what? Are you such a Michael Jordan fanatic that the thought of him getting shook hurts your feelings? Michael is great but he has been made to look a fool a number of times just like every one else.

Phenomenon
12-10-2007, 01:49 PM
I have always thought that if Jay Williams didn't have that tragic accident, he would have had the greatest cross over of all-time.

Lebron23
12-02-2010, 02:13 AM
- Jordan wass a better defender, no, MUCH better defender than Russell
- Jordan penetrated and pulled back, with a light push on Russell. Iverson didn't lay a finger on Jordan and did it without running
- Jordan was facing AI the whole time, Russell had to go side-to-side with Jordan to keep up. Jordan was running, Iverson was on the spot.

Iverson's was better. Looked better and was harder to do.

I like Allen Iverson's Crossover. That was one of AI's best highlights in his Rookie Season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEmS8ZQIhTA

comerb
12-02-2010, 05:11 AM
Iverson should get a purse to carry around the ball for him, but considering he got away with it his entire career... you gotta give the nod to Iverson.

m y t i n
12-02-2010, 05:38 AM
Everybody gets crossed over, stripped or dunked on all the time. It's part of the game. Plus I'm pretty sure players don't get bitter over it. Michael could be sitting at home watching AI crossing him over and laugh about it and same with Russel... maybe...

Scal
12-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Everybody gets crossed over, stripped or dunked on all the time. It's part of the game. Plus I'm pretty sure players don't get bitter over it. Michael could be sitting at home watching AI crossing him over and laugh about it and same with Russel... maybe...

I'm pretty sure Russell is sitting around in his gym shorts waiting for Jordan to call him and say 'Let's play'.

Round Mound
12-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Iverson

but thats it

Jordan was more skilled

Other than ballhandling and chucking he was the perfect SG

Ne 1
12-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Iverson easily, broke MJ's ankles.

Jordan pushed off and traveled against Byron Russel.

GilZero
12-02-2010, 11:48 AM
GTFO with this, AI by miles.

Hardaway, yes that would be a discussion atleast :banghead:

Round Mound
12-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Iverson easily, broke MJ's ankles.

Jordan pushed off and traveled against Byron Russel.

Iverson could actually dribble without carrying the ball.

GOBB
12-02-2010, 02:33 PM
That crossover didnt put AI on the map. But its an awesome highlight to see AI not only prior challenge MJ but deliver by breaking those damn ankles. Phil Jackson had the nerve to say "MICHAEL!" suggesting he take the challenge. One of the few times Phil has ever failed. So I'll take it!

MJ's left leg says "go right"; his right leg says "go left". lmao

He's doing the Dougie. :roll:

DCL
12-02-2010, 02:37 PM
AI got long ass arms, big hands, and he's so close to ground. his body was virtually designed to do crossovers by nature. :lol

hitmanyr2k
12-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Iverson's crossover isn't a crossover. It's a blatant palming violation :oldlol: Always has been. If you have to do that hesitation crap and cradle the ball like some elementary school kid just learning how to dribble that sh** isn't a crossover.

And GTFO to whoever says Iverson's crossover >>>> Tim Hardaway's crossover. Hardaway's crossover was quick just like it should be. No palming or "hesitation" BS needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0HRPIu02Xo

DCL
12-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Iverson's crossover isn't a crossover. It's a blatant palming violation :oldlol: Always has been. If you have to do that hesitation crap and cradle the ball like some elementary school kid just learning how to dribble that sh** isn't a crossover.

but that's evolution of the game.

pretty soon, players will be running like 3-4 steps while in a middle of a crossover!

B-Low
12-02-2010, 03:20 PM
I will never understand how ISH folks get off topic so fast. The question is which is better, the AI crossover shown, or the Jordan one. We get like 5 "Tim Hardaway is better" comments and one about Isaiah Thomas. It's really not rocket science.

To answer the question that was actually ASKED tho, it's AI. Jordan pushed off and it was just Russell guarding him

I didn't realize how old this thread was and I was actually coming in to say the exact same thing as before after reading the first page :oldlol:

Iverson3
06-12-2021, 06:45 AM
Its a stretch to compare this particular A.I. crossover to Jordan's because of what MJ's meant, but Allen Iverson's crossover on the best player in the game should be up there with the highest. That crossover really put him on the map.

Which was better in your honest opinion???

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/bigske76/Allen20Iverson20Puts20Michael20Jord.gif
VS.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/hsebballinplaya/MJ.gif

Still the greatest crossover in NBA History. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C977RCbuqFk

Iverson3
07-18-2021, 09:12 AM
Iverson had the better crossover.

ClipperRevival
07-18-2021, 07:08 PM

Exactly! And this video breaks down MJ's cross.

https://youtu.be/IErL0fs8GxU

The modern cross is meant to get the defender leaning one way and the crossing it over to get by your man. The old school version didn't wait to get the defender leaning but rather used a hard plant and explosion to use speed to get by your man. I personally prefer the old school version. Less motion, more effective and relies on speed and surprise.

Manny98
07-18-2021, 07:10 PM
One was an offensive foul

Gohan
07-18-2021, 11:38 PM
iversons crossover on Antonio Daniels is still the goat

kawhileonard2
07-18-2021, 11:41 PM

Agreed!