PDA

View Full Version : Next Shaq

VCMVP1551
12-16-2007, 07:26 PM
What players have been called the next Shaq that actually became starters in the NBA? I can think of 3. Eddy Curry, Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum. Which of the 3 do you think has the most in common with a prime Shaq. This is how they compared to Shaq entering the league

Shaquille O'Neal in 1992
Height w/o Shoes: 7'1"
Height w/ shoes: 7'2.75"
Weight: 303
Wingspan: 7'6"
Standing Reach: 9'8"

Dwight Howard in 2004
Height w/o Shoes: 6'9"
Height w/ shoes: 6'10.25"
Weight: 240
Wingspan: 7'4.5"
Standing Reach: 9'3.5"

Andrew Bynum in 2005
Height w/o Shoes: 7'0.25"
Height w/ shoes: 7'1.5"
Weight: 295
Wingspan: 7'6"
Standing Reach: 9'4"

Eddy Curry in 2001
Height w/o Shoes: 6'10.5"
Height w/ shoes: 6'11.75"
Weight: 301
Wingspan: 7'6.5"
Standing Reach: 9'3"

Shaq's weight in his prime ranged from 315-365 pounds. Bynum has grown to 7'1" barefoot and now weighs 300 pounds. Eddy Curry is probably 350 pounds and Dwight Howard has bulked up to 275 pounds. I personally think while Howard is the best player of them Bynum has the most in common. I think Bynum will be the closest to the next Shaq when it's all said in done. As far as Eddy Curry....:roll: :roll:

RidonKs
12-16-2007, 07:35 PM
I find the exact heights of players in and out of footwear to be very fascinating.

But "next Shaq"? You mean most similar to him, or the best of the three? From what I've seen of younger Shaq, I'd say Curry resembles him more than the other two. In the post anyways. Bynum is probably most similar to prime Shaq, although nowhere near him in terms of ability.

As far as the best, I've got high hopes for Andrew, but I don't think he'll ever be on the level of Dwight this year. And we can't forget that Dwight can still improve in plenty of ways. What we're seeing right now is most likely just the beginning of his prime/peak.

otmtheshank
12-16-2007, 07:41 PM
In terms of pure dominance inside based almost entirely on power and athleticism, then it's Dwight. Although there may never be a another player as dominate inside as Shaq, at least for a while.

bleedinpurpleTwo
12-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Dwight is the MVP thus far, hands down. No question.
Bynum is ages away from being an MVP.

sumakwel
12-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Dominance inside it should be Shaq.. It's actually automatic foul for him or automatic dunk... Dwight can be sometimes stop inside just like what Bynum did to him defensively.

vincentda
12-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Gary Trent was the 1st person I heard called the next Shaq. Actually he was just called the Shaq of the Mac.

VCMVP1551
12-16-2007, 08:11 PM
I find the exact heights of players in and out of footwear to be very fascinating.

But "next Shaq"? You mean most similar to him, or the best of the three? From what I've seen of younger Shaq, I'd say Curry resembles him more than the other two. In the post anyways. Bynum is probably most similar to prime Shaq, although nowhere near him in terms of ability.

As far as the best, I've got high hopes for Andrew, but I don't think he'll ever be on the level of Dwight this year. And we can't forget that Dwight can still improve in plenty of ways. What we're seeing right now is most likely just the beginning of his prime/peak.

While I agree with pretty much your entire post there is atleast a chance Andrew surpasses Dwight even though he isn't even close now. If you compare Dwight at the age of 20 to Andrew this year. Andrew was actually better especially considering he is a 3rd or 4th option getting 10 less minutes per game while Dwight was already a first option. As far as next Shaq I mean a combination of the 2. Most similar and also obviously a great dominant force.

Dwight 05'-06' 20 yrs old 15.8 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.4 bpg, 36.8 mpg
Bynum 07'-08' 20 yrs old 11.0 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.9 bpg, 26.4 mpg

You could actually make the argument that Andrew is a better overall player now then Dwight was at 20. Of course that is subjective but it is close. Andrew is already a superior passer to Dwight which is important when you are an all star level center. While I don't think Andrew will reach Dwight's level in rebounding he is already better than Dwight as far as passing and he seems to have just as much if not more potential as a shot blocker. I actually think Andrew has more potential as a scorer....now him reaching that potential is another story. As far as Curry...he is a great low post scorer but a terrible rebounder, defender and passer. If you were to bet on what is most likely...Dwight is probably going to be the best player but Andrew reminds me of Shaq the most.

qwerty
12-16-2007, 08:17 PM
How do you know how tall they are without shoes on?

bleedinpurpleTwo
12-16-2007, 08:18 PM
I have to agree with much of what has been stated above.
They are a couple years apart, but what Dwight has done this year is nothing short of dominant. 30pts w/ 20 boards?
Anyone know the last time someone did that?

FOYE4MVP
12-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Craig Smith!

grimreaper1377
12-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Dwight Howard.

AI Nuggets3
12-16-2007, 09:09 PM
i like Bynum's potential but comparing him to young Shaq is laughable.

Bynum looks stiff and he's slow (well slower than young Shaq.) Shaq was so explosive and quick.

VCMVP1551
12-16-2007, 09:15 PM
How do you know how tall they are without shoes on?

The same way I know how tall they are with shoes....pre-draft camp measurements.

chanchan05
12-16-2007, 09:16 PM
i think i read somewhere that bynum just played over a year of basketball before turning pro...and dwight was well groomed from the start(childhood) to become a basketball player...so in terms of potential...I think bynum has a potential to become better than dwight one day if he can find a great trainer to teach him the ropes...

Force
12-16-2007, 09:16 PM
i like Bynum's potential but comparing him to young Shaq is laughable.

Bynum looks stiff and he's slow (well slower than young Shaq.) Shaq was so explosive and quick.

Seriously!

I like Bynums potential, but by the way people talk about him on here, he might be the most overrated player in the league. Shaq had fast footwork and was explosive. Bynum is more of a finesse player and comparing him to Shaq is a sin

VCMVP1551
12-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Seriously!

I like Bynums potential, but by the way people talk about him on here, he might be the most overrated player in the league. Shaq had fast footwork and was explosive. Bynum is more of a finesse player and comparing him to Shaq is a sin

Bynum a finesse player? He gets a lot of baskets on big dunks.

bleedinpurpleTwo
12-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Seriously!

I disagree with a small point. Posters here only speak of Bynum with respect to him showing legit potential. And that's fair enuf. I think most folks understand that he is no Shaq (nor ever will be) nor is he D Howard at this point. BUT, in this day and age, it is a lot just to have a proper sized center with legit potential.

bleedinpurpleTwo
12-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Bynum a finesse player? He gets a lot of baskets on big dunks.

imo, he has both power and finesse. In the last game I saw him execute a perfect drop-step from 6 feet out... as well as a number of monster dunks.

adamballs
12-16-2007, 09:25 PM
i think i read somewhere that bynum just played over a year of basketball before turning pro...and dwight was well groomed from the start(childhood) to become a basketball player...so in terms of potential...I think bynum has a potential to become better than dwight one day if he can find a great trainer to teach him the ropes...

Kareem isn't a great teacher/trainer?
Ewing is mentoring Dwight.

Kareem's career > Ewing's

Whos is getting the better NBA pedigree now???

rzp
12-16-2007, 10:34 PM
huh.....
Shaquille Oneal - born - March 6, 1972
Wilt Chamberlain - born - August 21, 1936

36 years between the only 2 downlow kings ...the next Shaq should have 1 or 2 years old now...

shake N bake
12-16-2007, 10:38 PM
think bout minutes being played as well

dwight was a starter who averaged bout 30-32 minutes an game in 05-06

thats why he has more points and and rebounds

but andrew bynum plays bout 25-28 minutes a game and averages 11ppg, 10 rebs, 2.5 blks

once andrew starts getting proper miuntes and slims down and become more athletic liek dwight (280-280), then compare. dwight with bynum
andrew is really good he has shown it this year but give him two more years he will break out and play 30+ miuntes and average 18-20ppg 12reb and 2.5 blks

MINUTES.. compare them according to MINUTES:banana: :oldlol:

WildStyle
12-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Anyone trying to compare Bynum and Dwight right now are on crack. Dwight has been the best big man in the league so far this season. Hell, he's arguably been the best player period.

VCMVP1551
12-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Anyone trying to compare Bynum and Dwight right now are on crack. Dwight has been the best big man in the league so far this season. Hell, he's arguably been the best player period.

That is true but there is nothing wrong with comparing Andrew Bynum to 05'-06' Dwight Howard.

qwerty
12-16-2007, 11:20 PM
The same way I know how tall they are with shoes....pre-draft camp measurements.

But then how do you know how much Bynum has grown to without shoes?

VCMVP1551
12-16-2007, 11:23 PM
But then how do you know how much Bynum has grown to without shoes?

Because I read an article on espn insider last year. It said Bynum grew to 7'1" and since he was already over 7'1" in shoes it must mean barefoot.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
12-16-2007, 11:24 PM
*Eddy Curry comes to mind*

highhopes
12-17-2007, 01:29 AM
Dwight Howard in 2004
Weight: 240

Pretty sure that weight is wrong. Howard was 265 when he came into the league as an 18 year old im pretty sure (not certain). Since then, Howard has gained A LOT of muscle. Not sure how much body fat he had, or how much he's lost but i really dont think he LOST 25lbs.

twolvesfan
12-17-2007, 01:36 AM
damn shack had some thick shoes:oldlol:

A Roc 23
12-17-2007, 01:46 AM
In terms of playing style Shaq was a mix of Dwight Howard and Eddy Curry.

In terms of body type, he is most similar to Bynum, of course he was bigger and stronger then Bynum will ever be.

I really don't think Bynum plays ANYTHING like Shaq. He doesn't back players down or use a wide array of physical post moves. Bynum's offense is mostly catching it deep or coming in for that swooping dunk he is quite good at. You usually see him with a couple baskets going to the hoop a game while that was a very small % of Shaq's shots.

Dwight Howard will be the most similar to him overall. Dwight Howard will dominate this league (not like Shaq did though) while Bynum will be a top center and Curry will be just below all-star level in his prime. Dwight Howard has the physically overwhelming thing going on that Shaq had, but he doesn't have even half of the offensive talents Shaq had.

Lets throw in my predictions for their primes:

- Dwight Howard 25 points and 15 rebounds along with 2.5 blocks.

- Andrew Bynum 20 points and 13 rebounds along with 2.5 blocks.

- Eddy Curry 22 points and 8 rebounds along with 0.5 blocks.

WildStyle
12-17-2007, 01:50 AM
Pretty sure that weight is wrong. Howard was 265 when he came into the league as an 18 year old im pretty sure (not certain). Since then, Howard has gained A LOT of muscle. Not sure how much body fat he had, or how much he's lost but i really dont think he LOST 25lbs.

Nah, that's about right. He was 265 in his second season. He's almost 280 right now.

adamballs
12-17-2007, 01:54 AM
In terms of playing style Shaq was a mix of Dwight Howard and Eddy Curry.

In terms of body type, he is most similar to Bynum, of course he was bigger and stronger then Bynum will ever be.

I really don't think Bynum plays ANYTHING like Shaq. He doesn't back players down or use a wide array of physical post moves. Bynum's offense is mostly catching it deep or coming in for that swooping dunk he is quite good at. You usually see him with a couple baskets going to the hoop a game while that was a very small % of Shaq's shots.

Dwight Howard will be the most similar to him overall. Dwight Howard will dominate this league (not like Shaq did though) while Bynum will be a top center and Curry will be just below all-star level in his prime. Dwight Howard has the physically overwhelming thing going on that Shaq had, but he doesn't have even half of the offensive talents Shaq had.

- Andrew Bynum 20 points and 13 rebounds along with 2.5 blocks.

- Eddy Curry 22 points and 8 rebounds along with 0.5 blocks.

I believe those are Dwights current averages.

WildStyle
12-17-2007, 01:55 AM

He's averaging 23.7 points, 15.4 rebounds and 2.7 blocks right now. He's still got quite a way to go before he reaches his prime as a basketball player and a lot of improving to do. The only number I don't see improving are his rebounds, but you never know.

Vendetta
12-17-2007, 01:55 AM
None of the three.

Dwight actually has superior athleticism to Shaq but he does not have the size nor the initial quickness.
Andrew has the size but he doesn't have the athleticism nor initial quickness.

Curry? Lol.

WildStyle
12-17-2007, 01:57 AM
What Dwight lacks in size he makes up for in other areas. Which is why he has a chance to be greater than Shaq when it's all said and done.

A Roc 23
12-17-2007, 02:05 AM
He's averaging 23.7 points, 15.4 rebounds and 2.7 blocks right now. He's still got quite a way to go before he reaches his prime as a basketball player and a lot of improving to do. The only number I don't see improving are his rebounds, but you never know.

I believe those are Dwights current averages.

25/15/2.5 with defense is still probably the best player in the league.

I just don't think that his numbers will jump that much. If they did that would be unbelievable. To put up much more then 15 rebounds a game in this era would be stunning.

What does everyone else predict? 28/18? That would be sick and isn't totally out of reach, but I would NEVER bet on it.

Dwight Howard can get better without upping his stats that much and that is what I would put my money on.

Vendetta
12-17-2007, 02:16 AM
What Dwight lacks in size he makes up for in other areas. Which is why he has a chance to be greater than Shaq when it's all said and done.

No, he has no chance. The only way he'll be greater than Shaq is if he randomly develops the ability to make absolutely great passes, and starts hitting 80+% of his free throws. And even then he still probably wouldn't.

I don't think you understand, nor do most people. Shaq is probably the single most dominant force to ever pick up a basketball. I mean, literally... if you were to build a team from scratch around any player on their prime for a 2-3 year title run, all things being equal, Shaq would have to be your guy. It was just flat out ridiculous how good he was.

Dwight will be damn near top 10 all time if he becomes even 80% as good as prime Shaq was.

Vendetta
12-17-2007, 02:19 AM
25/15/2.5 with defense is still probably the best player in the league.

I just don't think that his numbers will jump that much. If they did that would be unbelievable. To put up much more then 15 rebounds a game in this era would be stunning.

What does everyone else predict? 28/18? That would be sick and isn't totally out of reach, but I would NEVER bet on it.

Dwight Howard can get better without upping his stats that much and that is what I would put my money on.

Dwight might end up the best rebounder the game has ever seen, and that's not a joke. He is absolutely the best player at reaching outside of his space and grabbing a rebound I have ever seen. Statistically of course he will never touch Chamberlain but Chamberlain wouldn't be putting up 20 rpg in today's era, either.

rzp
12-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Dwight might end up the best rebounder the game has ever seen, and that's not a joke. He is absolutely the best player at reaching outside of his space and grabbing a rebound I have ever seen. Statistically of course he will never touch Chamberlain but Chamberlain wouldn't be putting up 20 rpg in today's era, either.

stop overrate...we are talking about 15 rpg over fkn 25 games...and he might the best rebounder? WTF ; Shaq did 14 rpg in his FIRST SEASON (81 fkn games) , that not means he would average more than 14rpg after that right? Hakeem also has a 14 rpg season and that not means he would average 20 rpg in his prime ;
also look at his competion this time...Kaman?Bynum? old ass Ben Wallace? 30 mpg Duncan? ; gay small ball teams with 5 guards on the floor ; Its really that hard to grab 15 rebounds today?
Shaq faced Mutombo,Zo,Hakeem,Ewing,Rodman,Robinson,Duncan,Wal lace...

WoGiTaLiA1
12-17-2007, 02:50 AM
Not to mention Rodman, who was a better rebounder than anyone I've seen, easily. He not only got a lot of rebounds, but he was as technically sound as a rebounder as I've seen also. Dwight is an absolute freak, but the technical side of his rebounding is only average.

As for the conversation, who can forget guys like Oliver Miller, Sofoklis Schnortianides and DeSagana Diop who never even got close.

Curry is the closest on offensive game. Dwight is the closest physically. None of the 3 mentioned are close as passers and none have anywhere near as much personality or charisma, which will mean they are never as "big" as Shaq regardless of skill. None are close to being as good at the same ages either, but regardless of that they won't be Shaq.

Force
12-17-2007, 02:51 AM
For Howard to be mentioned with the greats likes Shaq, he's going to have to learn how to pass the ball. Work out of double teams, time when to pass, read defenses etc. Scoring and hitting the boards will be no problem for him...making his teammates better by making teams pay for double teaming him is what he will need to prove

WildStyle
12-17-2007, 07:39 AM
No, he has no chance. The only way he'll be greater than Shaq is if he randomly develops the ability to make absolutely great passes, and starts hitting 80+% of his free throws. And even then he still probably wouldn't.

I don't think you understand, nor do most people. Shaq is probably the single most dominant force to ever pick up a basketball. I mean, literally... if you were to build a team from scratch around any player on their prime for a 2-3 year title run, all things being equal, Shaq would have to be your guy. It was just flat out ridiculous how good he was.

Dwight will be damn near top 10 all time if he becomes even 80% as good as prime Shaq was.

Yes, he has a chance. His shooting stroke is light years ahead of Shaq's. If he ever get's consistant enough to shoot a 70% clip from the line, plus a short jumper... that's around 30 ppg. He is a better rebounder already than Shaq ever was. He has a much stronger work ethic than Shaq. He is about as good of a defender as prime Shaq who doesn't even care about defense these days. He is not an awfull passer. He has shown flashes in that area.

It may be a slim chance, but I do believe he has a chance. It depends on if he can keep improving while keeping his stats up and leading his team to championships. It'll be a tough road ahead, but I'm looking forward to watching how it unfolds. He's 22, he's got plenty of time.

Vendetta
12-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Yes, he has a chance. His shooting stroke is light years ahead of Shaq's. If he ever get's consistant enough to shoot a 70% clip from the line, plus a short jumper... that's around 30 ppg. He is a better rebounder already than Shaq ever was. He has a much stronger work ethic than Shaq. He is about as good of a defender as prime Shaq who doesn't even care about defense these days. He is not an awfull passer. He has shown flashes in that area.

It may be a slim chance, but I do believe he has a chance. It depends on if he can keep improving while keeping his stats up and leading his team to championships. It'll be a tough road ahead, but I'm looking forward to watching how it unfolds. He's 22, he's got plenty of time.

No.

Dwight has no where close to the quickness on his feet that Shaq did, and Shaq was 3" taller and 40 lbs heavier.

Dwight will never bulk up to 320+ lbs. He's not big enough for it.

Dwight doesn't need a short jumper. All that would lead to would be him being lazier inside and settling for a jumpshot more often.

He has the work ethic over Shaq, I'll give you that... but he does not have the natural tools to surpass Shaq. Sorry.

WildStyle
12-17-2007, 08:24 PM
No.

Dwight has no where close to the quickness on his feet that Shaq did, and Shaq was 3" taller and 40 lbs heavier.

Dwight will never bulk up to 320+ lbs. He's not big enough for it.

Dwight doesn't need a short jumper. All that would lead to would be him being lazier inside and settling for a jumpshot more often.

He has the work ethic over Shaq, I'll give you that... but he does not have the natural tools to surpass Shaq. Sorry.

So Dwight has to be as big or bigger than Shaq to be a better player? I disagree. I see no reason why Dwight can't become a better overall player than Shaq.

I also diagree with the quickness of feet comment. Dwight's spin move is just as quick as Shaq's. He just doesn't use it enough. He pulled one out on Darko the other night. Surprised the hell out of me how quick it was.

What about Dwight's superior leaping ability and desire to grab every rebound? The fact that he is superior to Shaq in some areas makes me think he at least has a chance to be a better basketball player.

Unreal Skill
12-17-2007, 09:22 PM
As of right now, it gotta be Dwight but there will never be another player as physical dominate as Shaq. 7'1 330 is scary, nothing could have stop (only slow) this prime beast. Shaq get triple teamed almost every time during his prime career, I doubt Dwight will.

chanchan05
12-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Kareem isn't a great teacher/trainer?
Ewing is mentoring Dwight.

Kareem's career > Ewing's

Whos is getting the better NBA pedigree now???

whatever did i say to you to piss you off? that was my only post in this thread...and kareem is great, didnt say he wasnt. But it just seems to me that Bynum's become a finesse player under his tutelage...but then again, he may just be working on finesse first before the power stuff...finesse is harder to learn imo after all.

adamballs
12-17-2007, 10:17 PM
whatever did i say to you to piss you off? that was my only post in this thread...and kareem is great, didnt say he wasnt. But it just seems to me that Bynum's become a finesse player under his tutelage...but then again, he may just be working on finesse first before the power stuff...finesse is harder to learn imo after all.

I wasnt pissed. There was no malice in my post, im just adding you said Bynum needed a trainer. Kareem is as good as they come, probably a better mentor than Ewing. Who else, besides Kareem would you want training him?

Maybe I was mislead by your quote. Did you mean he needed a better conditioning trainer to help him become more athletic?

But really though, how much will "training" help Bynum achieve greater success than Dwight?

clipps
02-24-2021, 09:32 PM
:lol Not even close. OP sure was a retard by even speculating.

Euroleague
02-24-2021, 10:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHPa6kQeyY

Height without shoes: 6-9
Height with shoes: 6-10
Wingspan: 7-2
Weight during career: 375-450