PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Asian ballers?

Knine
07-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Just wondering. you can be honest and speak your mind.

south_baller
08-06-2006, 09:56 AM
they are some really good players from asia... like the flip ballaz from the philippines and players from mongolia are very good shooters... i play with guys from the philippines from mongolia and from china and they are good

BlockShot
08-06-2006, 12:48 PM
:cheers: :banana: ASIAN PRIDE!!!!!!!WOOOOOO:hammerhead: :rockon:

hateraid
08-06-2006, 12:54 PM
What is it about Filipinos and they can all shoot? Probably lack of height.

bail
08-07-2006, 01:48 AM
There are lots of good players in the philippines. The problem is the lack of height. at 6'6 player there usually plays center already:D

dab0yech0
08-07-2006, 04:29 AM
all they do is shoot andnot much else. im half asian myself but i think most asian leagues are inferior because iveplayed in some and i dominated them. their strengths are speed and shooting i guess but most of them are frail and weak

UCLAlegend32
08-07-2006, 04:38 AM
you must have one heck of a pg to get u those shots.

32MJ32
08-10-2006, 07:49 AM
The ball is orange. The hoop is orange. That's the only colour that matters to me. We're all just ballplayers.. some are good, some are bad.. race schmace..

*Achieves world peace by organizing a basketball tournament.*

heavensdevil
08-10-2006, 09:48 AM
From My experience, Flip ballers can be extremely good. Ive played with some pretty good chinese ballers as well. Im flip myself, and whenever me and my brother play any dudes on the court, we smash them, no matter if theyre black or white. Dudes are always surprised by how sick we are.

asianballer
08-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Check out www.asianballers.net

KnicksFan4Life
08-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Where I play, asians are not that good. They try to post me up, and I swat their shots away. The ones that do shoot just dribble for 23 seconds and then throw up a brick. And they can't defend for shyyt

GoRapz
08-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Asians are ok at bball. I can beat most of the asian ballers at my school mainly because of there lack of height and some of them just plain suck and foul people to much.

Young HkM
08-14-2006, 03:59 AM
Asians are ok at bball. I can beat most of the asian ballers at my school mainly because of there lack of height and some of them just plain suck and foul people to much.

co-signed.

9spurs
08-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Theres many sick asians ballers in toronto

sjeezy510b
08-21-2006, 05:17 PM
how did they get so fu@#@ tall? lol

kobedaman24
08-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Because they're all related to Yao.

hard_owt_baller
10-28-2006, 04:14 AM
asians are avergae b ball playaz... most of dem suk at dem 3 pont shots, but they will push and shove until theyy get a layup. sumtyms they dunk. it luks pretty...dull.

not being racist or n e fing, but asians need to stop f****** HOGGING da ball.

Rameek
11-02-2006, 09:19 PM
I have not run into any good street ballers in the Brooklyn or Queens to speak of...

But since I've been in Japan the only basketball most of them see is And1 so the kids try to play that way... The ones that get coached have great fundamentals but nothing physical in the least.

With that said so far I have run into very quick decent ball handlers that can make layups and shoot 3's. I have not had the opportunity to play real streetball here in Japan yet.

I am not a b-ball player any longer though.

Slickshot
11-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Where I play, asians are not that good. They try to post me up, and I swat their shots away. The ones that do shoot just dribble for 23 seconds and then throw up a brick. And they can't defend for shyyt

What are u talking about? Asians play crazy D. Even tho i'm a scorer i've seen asian teams play a full court press where they score 6 points every time the other team gets up the floor.

final.wrath
11-14-2006, 09:42 PM
why is there even such a thing as asian leagues? theres no such thing as black or white leagues. its rascist. if you want there to be a short ppl league thats fine but thats bullshi*t if you cant join because you arent asian.

Rameek
11-15-2006, 09:57 AM
why is there even such a thing as asian leagues? theres no such thing as black or white leagues. its rascist. if you want there to be a short ppl league thats fine but thats bullshi*t if you cant join because you arent asian.
Japan has Japanese only leagues but they are Japanese company driven leagues... In all the company driven leagues which are the majority you are allowed 2 foreigners on the team but they are employees of the company... The only sport that has more foreigners is soccer... Its not racist but Japan is not an international country or multicultural place. Its not a hot bed either for athletics.

guacomole
11-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Stupid people. Besides physical things there is nothing asain basketball players cant do that any other race can. To the dumbass who said asians are ballhogs, there is no gene in the asain gene pool that says asians hog basketballs.

BlockShot
11-16-2006, 06:09 PM
well its not really racist, the people who made the leagues looked at the other ledgues and saw that not many asians play in leagues (well in my area) and lets be honest here. not all asians are 7"7' some of us are pretty small actually, there are asian leagues so that it gives the asian community some time to play competitive ball.

*note: asians include brown people as well not just chinese, jap, korean etc

DLakerfan
11-16-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm not racist but common now, let's give asian some love beside they invented food delivery, let them have their own league, who cares, even the amish people have their own league.

final.wrath
11-16-2006, 11:32 PM
can white people have their own league? can mexicans have their own league? how about polish people?

screw racial pride its ridiculous.

Jailblazers7
11-17-2006, 04:54 PM
This is an insult to Yao if your not good enough to play the the League then why should we make a league for you?

AI09
11-18-2006, 04:47 PM
I HATE WHEN YOU ASK ASAIN PPLE DO YOU WANNA PLAY A GAME AND THEY SAY NO. THAN A ASAIN GUYS ASKS IF THEY WANNA PLAY AND THEY SAY YES I HATE THAT!! ALSO I HATE WHEN U ASK AN ASIAN IF THEY WANNA PLAY A GAME AND THEY SAY THERE ARE LEAVING BUT THEY END UP STAYING THERE FOR ANOTHER 3 HOURS. THEY PISS ME OFF!!!!!
IM LIKE :wtf:

BlockShot
11-18-2006, 07:55 PM
I HATE WHEN YOU ASK ASAIN PPLE DO YOU WANNA PLAY A GAME AND THEY SAY NO. THAN A ASAIN GUYS ASKS IF THEY WANNA PLAY AND THEY SAY YES I HATE THAT!! ALSO I HATE WHEN U ASK AN ASIAN IF THEY WANNA PLAY A GAME AND THEY SAY THERE ARE LEAVING BUT THEY END UP STAYING THERE FOR ANOTHER 3 HOURS. THEY PISS ME OFF!!!!!
well think about it....how many people make fun of them cuz their asian, WE KNOW ENGLISH, WE CAN HEAR YOU, WE CAN SEE, NOT ALL OF US HAVE AN ACCENT, WE'RE NOT ALL BORN OUT OF THE COUNTRY......sorry hadta let out some steam there :ohwell:

AI09
11-18-2006, 07:59 PM
i dont make fun of them it just gets me madd that they do that.

final.wrath
11-19-2006, 01:44 AM
well think about it....how many people make fun of them cuz their asian, WE KNOW ENGLISH, WE CAN HEAR YOU, WE CAN SEE, NOT ALL OF US HAVE AN ACCENT, WE'RE NOT ALL BORN OUT OF THE COUNTRY......sorry hadta let out some steam there :ohwell:

stop being such a minority.

millencolin735
11-19-2006, 10:31 PM
My dad lives in Orange County so I play against a grip of asians, and for the most part theyre all little pest on defense cause theyre so quick and constantly reaching. But because of that and the fact that im so much stronger I usually kill em. Never ever miss an open shot either.

guacomole
11-20-2006, 11:27 AM
stop being such a minority.

It can get f-ing anoying, i'm only half asian, and dont realy look that asain, and still people at my school say **** like that, and after they think its all right and they dont even give a **** because everyone else thinks and does that. Sometimes people know me only because they think im asian even though i only half, and when i tell them im half they say, "dude it doesnt matter, your still chinese". Its also annoying when they think your born and raised in china and just moved here, even though im not chinese and rarely go to japan were half of my ancestrie is from.

heavensdevil
11-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Never went to a court where asians turn down pickup Games cuz of Race. IMO, filipinos have the edge when it comes to the asian Ballers.

iMakeITrain
12-04-2006, 09:33 PM
The ball is orange. The hoop is orange. That's the only colour that matters to me. We're all just ballplayers.. some are good, some are bad.. race schmace..

*Achieves world peace by organizing a basketball tournament.*

i'm asian.(half flip, half viet) 6'1". and i'm sick at ball.. not to be on my own nuts.. but i've been playin all my life and i can play with the best of them...

like dude said.. skin color doesn't matter. holler

iMakeITrain
12-04-2006, 09:38 PM
and another thing.. i hate being called YAO MING whenever im playing with a bunch of non-asian ballers.

i don't play the post. i handle the rock. i shoot jumpers and 3's. i drive to the lane. how is that at all like yao ming?

not to mention i'm not chinese...

it's ****in racist to a tee.

TDMVPDPOY
12-07-2006, 05:40 AM
Never went to a court where asians turn down pickup Games cuz of Race. IMO, filipinos have the edge when it comes to the asian Ballers.

and they are mainly ballhogz, expecially the streetball players.

imo vietnamese streetballers ftw :D

machi
12-07-2006, 05:25 PM
The best asian baller I've played with/against is this short fillipino dude at my school. Well, best in the sense that he scores a crapload of points. Seriously, I think the only time I've seen him pass is if he inbounds the ball. But it seemed like nobody on the other team could stop him though. I'd say he's like Iverson minus assists.

BlockShot
12-07-2006, 08:48 PM
The best asian baller I've played with/against is this short fillipino dude at my school. Well, best in the sense that he scores a crapload of points. Seriously, I think the only time I've seen him pass is if he inbounds the ball. But it seemed like nobody on the other team could stop him though. I'd say he's like Iverson minus assists.
iverson minus assists equals kobe before he realized he had teammates

machi
12-07-2006, 09:58 PM
iverson minus assists equals kobe before he realized he had teammates

Haha, good point. I said Iverson though cuz the dude was pretty short.

wabdinur
01-01-2007, 12:26 AM
I've noticed the good asian ballers usually have great ballhandling and footwork as well. A 5"9 asian guy does not aspire to dunk as much as a say Nate Robinson, there a little more realistic.

littlespyda
01-01-2007, 12:18 PM
i played with some asian dudes a few days ago and the tallest guy was like 5-7. i noticed they were not athletic but they could shoot incredibly well.

20 Dimes A Game
01-06-2007, 03:31 PM
im sure there are some very good asian players
but im not sure about asian streetballers, does any1 know anything about the asian streetball scene....

LongBeachLakers
01-06-2007, 04:30 PM

They're probably scared of you.

nedleeds
01-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Georgia Tech has more asian people then white people on campus. I've played with pathetic asian players, and some kids who can play. I've yet to play an asian dude who can really post, or board in anyway ... but the ones who can play just stick to what they know they can do well. Move, shoot, press.

There are pitiful scrubs of every ethnic background.

Saishi
01-06-2007, 11:58 PM
What kinda question is this, a baller is a baller..good or bad.

Check out http://fareastballers.com/

soysauce
01-24-2007, 11:08 PM
most asian people i kno hav no hops, and just shoot 3's all the time, but it doesnt even matter what race you are

Rameek
01-24-2007, 11:40 PM
What kinda question is this, a baller is a baller..good or bad.

Check out http://fareastballers.com/

I look forward to running with these people this spring and summer if they play in Shibuya or Shinjuku. Hopefully my game will improve enough to be out there... I hear that the best of the best in the tokyo and surrounding area hit these courts. I also hear its like you can get monumental crowds to watch.. I guess this would be like playing at the Rucker or W4th... getting excited about this...

They play b-ball differently here in Japan in regards to the half court game (1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3 etc...)...
I have been playing now with a crew of Japanese kids lately from my surrounding area. The kids that I play with have skills... They can shoot the pill lights out if you give them space and once you get in close they will drive... And1 is EXTREMELY poplular here so they can dribble effectively... they dont play a lot of defense but they play opportunist D. They are not too physical. The guys I play with do lack nuiances and strategies of the full court game... For ex. in a half court game there was a mismatch a 6' kid being played by a 5'8" kid. I had to keep telling him to just post him up.

Whats annoying for me is but its a blessing I always get matched up with the absolute best players offensive players when I'm on dfense and I get to guard the absolute best offensive players when i'm on D.

I recently started playing ball again after almost a 2 year layoff just dont have the stamina and skills at this point to be as good as i can be.

miamiman
01-24-2007, 11:43 PM
asians are avergae b ball playaz... most of dem suk at dem 3 pont shots, but they will push and shove until theyy get a layup. sumtyms they dunk. it luks pretty...dull.

not being racist or n e fing, but asians need to stop f****** HOGGING da ball.

Lol theres an asian player at my school who all he does is pass to get other shots. He has a wicked shot, he can sink 20 free throws in a row any time he wants and his 3 point shot is amazing. I basicaly disagree with everything you said :confusedshrug:

Rocker09
01-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Im 5'8'' and I play PF in street games here in the Philippines because of my heft....I usually get blocked when I drive to the lane so I developed a deadly mid range ga,e and a hook shot.....it's hard being short but it doesn't mean that we can't adjust to it....Filipino's love basketball....that's why even if we're a short race, we still try our best to be good at this sport....

Info:
The Philippine style of basketball is different from china and korea where three point shooting is the focus. Filipinos play the "american style" of play where isolations and other one on one offense are usually used. Because of the lack of height, we filipinos use our speed and quickness to score.

sgvxsc3
02-01-2007, 04:32 AM
im asian and i hate other asains who do that kinda ****. they only want to play with/againts their friends. it mostly the fobs who does that kinda ****.

JMEWLS
02-01-2007, 06:19 AM
Im 5'8'' and I play PF in street games here in the Philippines because of my heft....I usually get blocked when I drive to the lane so I developed a deadly mid range ga,e and a hook shot.....it's hard being short but it doesn't mean that we can't adjust to it....Filipino's love basketball....that's why even if we're a short race, we still try our best to be good at this sport....

Info:
The Philippine style of basketball is different from china and korea where three point shooting is the focus. Filipinos play the "american style" of play where isolations and other one on one offense are usually used. Because of the lack of height, we filipinos use our speed and quickness to score.
Im half Filo, but im in AUS. Most Filo's i know that play ball, dont go out for 3's either, most try to drive pass you but if they cant they'll go settle for a mid-ranged shot.

In Aus all Asians i play with always try to go inside and shoot close ranged jumpers, some of them to are pretty great passers.

OlDeRaDo_64
02-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Asian Ballers are every where in my area, they are terrible! But im not rating all of them, i like asian ballers that are any good anyway like yao ming and well ... yao ming :D

Chairman_Yao
02-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Yao Ming

Saishi
02-14-2007, 11:52 PM
I look forward to running with these people this spring and summer if they play in Shibuya or Shinjuku. Hopefully my game will improve enough to be out there... I hear that the best of the best in the tokyo and surrounding area hit these courts. I also hear its like you can get monumental crowds to watch.. I guess this would be like playing at the Rucker or W4th... getting excited about this...st dont have the stamina and skills at this point to be as good as i can be

I heard about fareastballers through Chris (one of the members), he's also a rapper. I think And1 style is popular in Japan because the lack of emphasis on playing D. There don't seem to be alot of places to play/see games outside of Shibuya... I'd actually love to catch a JBBA game, just to see how gameplay is different from the NBA (probably close to Euro league)...

Hopefully you get to play in Shibuya...Gambatte!
バスケットボールの試合をベンチで見えない (And not be a bench warmer! ^^)w

Rameek
02-15-2007, 02:08 AM
I heard about fareastballers through Chris (one of the members), he's also a rapper. I think And1 style is popular in Japan because the lack of emphasis on playing D. There don't seem to be alot of places to play/see games outside of Shibuya... I'd actually love to catch a JBBA game, just to see how gameplay is different from the NBA (probably close to Euro league)...

Hopefully you get to play in Shibuya...Gambatte!
バスケットボールの試合をベンチで見えない (And not be a bench warmer! ^^)w
No outdoor parks to play in other than the ones I mentioned. Going to games here is cost prohibitive... They are basically from what I have seen to see the JBL and SuperJBL league roughtly ¥10,000 to ¥30,000 to watch...
The places I go now since I have been there players are stepping up on the defense of end now. Mostly with block shots... Getting a little more physical.

One day I will vid our bball sessions...

HollaBolla
02-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Being exposed to ASIAN basketball, I would say South Korean and Philippines have the best basketball IQ and atleticism but they are short. China, Taiwan, Australia are way taller that's why they normally win during tournaments, if South Korea and Philippines are as tall as other Asians they will win all the time. I didn't mention Japan coz they're not into hoops, so they suck.

MTing
02-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Im asian myself
Where I live there are like really good basketball players that are asain. I know this 8th Grader that can almost dunk and hes like 6'0"

Jailblazers7
02-15-2007, 08:49 PM
I know a 6'5" asian dude that can dunk the sh!t out of the ball.

Rameek
02-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Being exposed to ASIAN basketball, I would say South Korean and Philippines have the best basketball IQ and atleticism but they are short. China, Taiwan, Australia are way taller that's why they normally win during tournaments, if South Korea and Philippines are as tall as other Asians they will win all the time. I didn't mention Japan coz they're not into hoops, so they suck.
They are into hoops on some levels. The system here in Japan doesnt cultivate basketball players. I have run into a few good players being here. Sports in general is not as important until the latter stages probably HS/College. Sports here in Japan is a club activity like PE/Gym. The only sports that may be taken a little seriously at an early age is soccer and baseball. These sports are not really training for something better or to be pro. Many of the great Japanese athletes have no desire to be a professional or play internationally. Also space is such a constraint here that most sports activities cost money and its just not an expense most people want to pay. Tennis for example you must rent a court for basically $20 an hour. Sports on TV is not readily available and it comes at a cost so there are no real interest. But to claim it sucks is a little over exaggerated... The good players are not seen on TV or youtube(which is not well known here).

jumpman23
02-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Asian ballers rule dudde im asian and i can do basically every trick necessary to make some one trip up aaannnd i got ups ... and i dont get packed so stop making fun of asians cuz there just as good as any other race.

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Horde of Temujin
02-21-2007, 09:26 PM
I used to play with nothing but asians back in cali. For the most part they are short and can shoot and play good d. Ive played with quite a few asian ballers that could ball with the best of any race. Id say fiilipinos are the best of asians, usually more athletic and bigger. Dont really like playing with vietnamese, they call too many fouls and when you foul them once after theyve been foulin you all day, you get jumped (general rule).

ghettoracer
03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi guys, I'm visiting Tokyo and I'm staying at Shin-Okubo which is right next to Shinjuku. I'm an avid ball player although not exact the fancy streetball style. Just solid foundamentals, good shooting, great bank shots, good post up moves, fakes, decent hops (I have about 25" vertical I think and I've never trained to jump, my goal is to spend sometimes training so I can dunk, need about 33" vertical I think...), excellent timing (to grab re's) and good passer (i'm a great team player). I guess I'm a shooting guard although when I play against Asians usually I'm F or Center lol. I like playinig against black ppl because 1. usually they are physically gifted and 2. i like to stun them esp the cocky ones lol. I am quite skilled and I can hold my against anybody my height (5'11"). I often shock black player (because most of them are too cocky) with my skills... haha. I love the game so much and I really enjoy it. Be it 1 on 1 or 3 on 3 or full court. I live in SF Bay Area and it sucks ass for pick up games in the East Bay. Not enough places to play. IMO the best place is UC Berkeley's RSF which is in doors and very nice...

Anyway, I looked at the fareastballer's site but it doesn't have much English. where are the parks they play at? I am staying here at least until March 20th. So if anybody here know where I can get some good pick up games please let me know.

ghettoracer
03-02-2007, 02:23 PM
BTW, I can give some perspective on Asian balling as far as Taiwan goes. about 10 years ago or mid 1990's, they were still not that good at hoop. I mean it was sad. I postd them up, and they get scared and dunno what to do. They also ball any kind of touching "foul". It is gay ass fawk. They still call weak ass fouls even today. Then past 2000, they improve a lot. I think it is because finally they get to watch a lot of quality games... NCAA and NBA broadcasts. And they've been improving ever since. Right now I would say they are as good as American kids of the same age. If anything, they love bball more (by the numbers). The average Taiwanese kid is a better shooter and ball handler than American kid. However American kid usually have much better post up games. But on average, even size for size, American kid are stronger physically. Taiwan kids rarely work out and are not physically strong. Kids now days are also a lot taller. I have nephews that are in 8 and 9th grade and he's 5'9" already. So they should be over 6"...

With training, Asians have mad hops too. On my local play ground, there's a dude he was just out of military in 2004. He was in the Taiwanese Navy Seals... and he can dunk with 2 hands. He was only 5'7". He was super strong too. I used to ate me up in 2004 (I was out of shape). However I play him again 2 weeks ago. This time I'm in shape. He is no match for me now hahaha (well, he still more than hold his own, but I think he was thinking wtf dude, this guy is getting older, but he's getting better...). He's like 26 now I am 33. Lot of solid ball player in Taipei I would say.

ghettoracer
03-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I recently started playing ball again after almost a 2 year layoff just dont have the stamina and skills at this point to be as good as i can be.

I know what you mean about being off for a while. It takes time to come back. Let me know where you play. I eager to shoot some shots while I'm in Shinjuku. hit me up on aim theghettoracer or skype ghettoracer

3stat2
03-03-2007, 05:50 AM
I'm an Aussie and I play both club and streetball, and one major thing I've noticed is the disparity in sportsmanship levels.

There are a lot of asians who have great sportsmanship, even apologizing when they miss an open shot or do a light foul. Those types of players are great to play with; they play purely for the love of the game.

But then there are those who call nonexistent fouls, travel, foul others and can't handle good defense. I've seen a lot of cases where groups of people from local leagues have a few pickup games with asian streetballers, and it gets ugly. League/club players usually play fundamental defense ie. using your body and staying between the basket and the defender with quick lateral movement - the way it's meant to be played - yet these asians with no sportsmanship often get angry and frustrated. This is because the pickup groups they usually play against do not have the defensive fundamentals and skills of league players. They're just not used to facing hard, tough, yet clean defense. As a result, in extreme cases, violence can ensue in these regular league players vs streetballer clashes.

The thing is, most asian streetballers are built very very lightly, yet challenge people to fights. Furthermore, they usually threaten violence towards white people or other asians. When groups of large African-American or Sudanese exchange students play against them, they're too scared to do anything, and usually will move away so they don't have to play against them. It's quite hopeless to watch in all honesty.

But hey, all races probably have a similar type of thing; this is just what I've personally witnessed.

edit - typo

Unfullfiled
03-03-2007, 06:01 AM
Amen to that, I totally agree with yah....:cheers:

ghettoracer
03-04-2007, 03:22 AM
So I went around Shinjuku trying to look for a place to hoop. One of the local PD told me the Central Park in Shinjuku has hoops. Now, Central Park is located right next to Tokyo Metro. Gov Building, which governs the huge ass metropolis that is Tokyo. You would think that this park would be bad ass and has a lil' of everything.... not. Next to it is the Haytt...

http://a264.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/26/l_971cff5f24fae571e9d1299e20fea487.jpg

Out of the blue ran into an Music Artist @ Shinjuku Haytt just now (March 4th 2007). I was actually looking for a basketball court to play at, but I couldn't find any so I decided to check out Haytt to see if any foreigner knows... ran into Tamia & Crew checking out and heading back to Chicago!!!

So the Concierge desk ppl of Haytt (thank you!) actually found the courts for me. It turns out to be less than 0.5 mile away from where I'm staying in a place call Shin-Okubo whic is just about 1 miles North of Shinjuku. It is a public gymnasium that has many activities including hoop but only certain days and certain hours. It is 400 yen (about $3.50, cheap!) and indoors. I'm about to go check it out... finger crossed for good games. :-)

So I'm still looking to play with some good players here... somebody know how to get a hold of those Far East Ballers let me know please. Thank you.

Rameek
03-04-2007, 09:06 AM
I know what you mean about being off for a while. It takes time to come back. Let me know where you play. I eager to shoot some shots while I'm in Shinjuku. hit me up on aim theghettoracer or skype ghettoracer
i sent a pm. i looked at the fareast ballers but i dont read kanji... dont speak much japanese either:hammerhead: what days are available to play ball at the community center? I usually play friday nights indoors. if the weather stays nice we can hit up the park or hit up the indoor gym. if you live locally at the community center usually its 1.oo or 1.50 outsiders pay 3.oo to 5.oo to play.
i recently destroyed both my ankles yet again so i am on the mend...:mad:

j Fresh
03-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Never really played with Asian ballers, but from what I hear they are quick

heavensdevil
03-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Id say fiilipinos are the best of asians,

U done Know.

ghettoracer
03-04-2007, 04:20 PM
quickness is all just a matter of conditioning and training. it also has a lot to do with proper techniques. it doesn't have that much to do with race. most pinoy brother are generally fast because they are in good shape and condition than the average player. you put a "fast" pinoy brother against any well condition college or high school baller and they won't appear to be that fast. this goes true for all weekend warrior ballers... naturally the best street ballers play & practices ALOT.

i'm learning a lot about internal Chinese Martial arts and to generate power you must learn how to user your body properly; need to have correct postures so the right body mechanics = mucho power, most of the MMA fights you see (UFC, K1... etc.) actually has very little internals... and for quickness, you don't need muscles, you need to learn to relax your body. i'm pretty sure as i progress in martial arts i will become even faster and jump higher. i can't wait until i can dunk! w00 h00!! and i'm 33 years, not young by the average standards... but i'm in the best shape of my life... yet!

IBall280
03-05-2007, 12:46 PM
i think they r quick :banana: and some of em r tall:rockon:

ghettoracer
03-05-2007, 05:54 PM
I went to Shinjuku Sports Center to play yesterday. I played from 4:30 PM to closing @ 10 PM. Lots of good players here actually, and they do understand the game very well. Many were Chinese studying or working here, some from Taiwan. Several ppl from Canada and USA. And of course Japanese locals. It was great fun. We played some 3 on 3, 4 on 4 half courts... then also ran few 5/5 full court. It has two full sized college court. it only cost 400 yen to play or about $3.50. not bad at all.

Mavs4ever
03-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Almost all every cities/towns/ streets here in the Philippines usually organized basketball leagues, and to tell you frankly, all of em can play ball. Low post game is done only by the big men with heights 6 ft above which is a rarety here, ( So low post gamers are not favorites here unless your 6'5 up) but below 6 ft you can only watch in awe how quickly these guys run and gun, fastbreaks are common, we can't dunk that much but we can do a variety of lay ups, may it be left or right just to avoid your shotblockin' skills. We also have a professional basketball league (Philippine Basketball Asociation), where we import, professional players from around the world, usually americans to spice up the game. Just an info guys.. :banana:

ghettoracer
03-06-2007, 02:59 AM
That sounds awesome. I'm gonna have to visit .ph someday and hoop it up there. My sister in law is Filipino-chinese so we have some distance family there. Many pinoys are physically gifted more so than the average Asian. So I wouldn't be surprised if some are quick as hell. There's a name Jojo about 55 years old who used work at my father in law's company and he was on the National PH Team. He was 5'10 and back in the days he can easily dunk. He was the PG I think. I think all the older Filipinos know of him.

Catch'N'Shoot
03-18-2007, 05:04 AM
Well im asian, and what i see is that theres two kinds of asian ballers: theres guys who know how to ball, and theres the gangster asians who say they can ball. The gangster guys can't ball but you get your ass kicked if you mess with them. But there are some asian guys who are really good, real fast and can shoot. Most of the ones i know are guards and maybe sf. Aren't many asian guys who can play c or pf, most of them just dont have the height and the ones who do dont have the skill.

JMEWLS
03-18-2007, 07:22 AM
I used to play with nothing but asians back in cali. For the most part they are short and can shoot and play good d. Ive played with quite a few asian ballers that could ball with the best of any race. Id say fiilipinos are the best of asians, usually more athletic and bigger. Dont really like playing with vietnamese, they call too many fouls and when you foul them once after theyve been foulin you all day, you get jumped (general rule).
Filo's represent! :D

Rameek
03-18-2007, 07:31 AM
I went to Shinjuku Sports Center to play yesterday. I played from 4:30 PM to closing @ 10 PM. Lots of good players here actually, and they do understand the game very well. Many were Chinese studying or working here, some from Taiwan. Several ppl from Canada and USA. And of course Japanese locals. It was great fun. We played some 3 on 3, 4 on 4 half courts... then also ran few 5/5 full court. It has two full sized college court. it only cost 400 yen to play or about $3.50. not bad at all.
I just went there to Shinjuku Sports Center Saturday night Japan time...
They admitted that Saturday evening was not as good as Monday evening... It was the first time where I actually had played against some Asian guys that were roughly 6'1" to about 6'3" and had weight and strength. Some of the players can shoot lights out not much for creating off the dribble but will hit open shoots regularly from anywhere on the court. The lack of basketball knowledge with my teammates was quite frustrating when I played because I hate to lose and I was quite visibly frustrated giving instructions in JapEnglish. We didn't run a full but we ran 4 on 4... If there is a way I really want to play tomorrow night to see what the deal is then...

Although my arthritis in my knees and ankles are quite debilatating I can still get it crunked... A few of the foreign players asked if I am down to play in YoYogi Park the equivalent of Rucker park in NY... That made me feel good. Gotta get my 3's more consistant though...

otmtheshank
03-18-2007, 07:22 PM
There are usually a few asian ballers where I play. I find that most asians I play with fit the stereotype of short and unathletic, but there is this one 6'4 asian dude(mongolian I think) on my school team that can really get up there and throw it down. Anyways, usually the asians I play with look amazing when they are just practising because they are pretty good dribblers and have nice looking shots. But when they get into a game situation, they just completely lose their game because they can't shoot/dribble under pressure. The best asians I play with are usually japanese, but filipinos seem a bit bigger and more athletic.

ghettoracer
03-21-2007, 06:42 AM
I just went there to Shinjuku Sports Center Saturday night Japan time...
They admitted that Saturday evening was not as good as Monday evening... It was the first time where I actually had played against some Asian guys that were roughly 6'1" to about 6'3" and had weight and strength. Some of the players can shoot lights out not much for creating off the dribble but will hit open shoots regularly from anywhere on the court. The lack of basketball knowledge with my teammates was quite frustrating when I played because I hate to lose and I was quite visibly frustrated giving instructions in JapEnglish. We didn't run a full but we ran 4 on 4... If there is a way I really want to play tomorrow night to see what the deal is then...

Although my arthritis in my knees and ankles are quite debilatating I can still get it crunked... A few of the foreign players asked if I am down to play in YoYogi Park the equivalent of Rucker park in NY... That made me feel good. Gotta get my 3's more consistant though...

yah, my biggest complain while playing in japan so far (mostly at shinjuku sporst center and yoyogi park) is other player's lack of court vision. they simply don't see the cutters or open man... or they'd drive in, get 2-3 defenders up in the air and force the shot instead of a simple dump to the open guy by the basket... it gets frustrating...

Rameek
03-21-2007, 09:23 AM
yah, my biggest complain while playing in japan so far (mostly at shinjuku sporst center and yoyogi park) is other player's lack of court vision. they simply don't see the cutters or open man... or they'd drive in, get 2-3 defenders up in the air and force the shot instead of a simple dump to the open guy by the basket... it gets frustrating...
I did play there monday night... It was better and more competitive... The skills were the best I've seen so far in Japan. A few guys were capable of dunking... We ran fulls got a good work out. Didnt show too much offensively on Monday but I made the paint my house defensively... Next time I go Monday I will let it loose offensively.
I will probably hit up YoYogi once the weather gets warmer... Still too cold. I remember seeing guys balling in 40 degree temps this winter at that park.
Next time we have to hook up when you get back here....

Cornbread
03-25-2007, 02:29 AM
Foreign baller with the love of the game and an attitude to win. I play with both Japanese ballers and on my primarily foreign team here in Tokyo.

Well, Shinjuku sports center used to be hella better. THey used to run games in two different gyms every monday but one went private and the sports center couldnt accomodate all the gym time for basketball. THey have just recently started to reopen. HOwever, YOYOGI Park is a great place to play when it is nice outside. I will be going there every monday starting from tomorrow, 3/26.

ghettoracer
03-27-2007, 05:00 AM
I did play there monday night... It was better and more competitive... The skills were the best I've seen so far in Japan. A few guys were capable of dunking... We ran fulls got a good work out. Didnt show too much offensively on Monday but I made the paint my house defensively... Next time I go Monday I will let it loose offensively.
I will probably hit up YoYogi once the weather gets warmer... Still too cold. I remember seeing guys balling in 40 degree temps this winter at that park.
Next time we have to hook up when you get back here....

SSC is fun for sure. I always play tough D. This one dude was mad that I swatted his ass clean and challenge him on every drive he threw an elbow while going up. I hate people like that... playing a strong fun physical game is one thing, but when you start throw elbows because of frustration... lame. Can't wait until I go back to jp. I plan to move there for a year in 08. :-)

KZ_23
04-10-2007, 04:18 AM
Oh honestly, this has to be the stupidest thread i have ever seen. You make the assumption that all "asian" ballers are the same. The fact is everyone is unique. Thas like people saying white man cant jump. Just because some white people cant jump doesnt mean that there arnt some with crazy hops. I think that the question you asked is completely stupid.

gb8
04-13-2007, 05:12 AM
Played against the japanese under23 national team about a year and a half bacl they were good. Quick gaurds and solid bigs.

coach41
05-02-2007, 01:29 AM
New to the forum and Chinese-American (out of Cali). Despite what one might think, Asian ballers come in all shapes and sizes.

I have been fortunate to play some playground ball and adult league ball in Cali. I have seen a wide range of Asian ball players.

Due to the huge asian population out here in Cali, asian leagues/tournaments are all over the place for kids and adults. Asian kids in Cali get a lot of opportunity to play in Asian leagues (if they want) and lots of kids play high school ball as well. You guys may have heard of Jeremy Lin, 6'2" PG out of Palo Alto High. He led his team to a state championship and is playing Division I ball at Harvard.

One guy I played with in league (5'11" guard) played for a community college and Division II college before going to Taiwan to play professionally. Another guy, a 5'10" guard, walked on to a small Division I school.

You probably won't see those kind of guys at the playground often.

My friends and I fit more into the semi-competitive playground player that also plays in league ball. Lots of those guys around. I've squeezed in some 16 years of Asian Adult league ball (and a few years of rec league ball in high school).

Otherwise, you have your share of rec/playground ball players. Some of quick and good shooters. Some are not so good. Most guys fall into the 5'7" to 6' range. You don't see a ton of big guys playing rec/playground ball.

Most of the taller players will be playing league or tournament ball.

Most people don't perceive asians to play ball well because they aren't seen around much. Except for Yao, there aren't any Asian ballers that are seen consistently. Most of the best asian ballers play in leagues/tournaments that...well, are usually frequented by other players.

STelfair31
05-02-2007, 10:00 AM
welcome coach..

knicks15
05-14-2007, 07:51 PM

probably cuz if an asian team showed up with a black dude, everyone would be like damn theyre cheating like they just pulled out a secret weapon. and if it wasnt an all asian league, it might turn into a no-asian league.

Fudge
05-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Why the hell is JMEWLS Banned? lol

Done_And_Done
05-18-2007, 03:16 AM
Theres many sick asians ballers in toronto

Ill claim witness to that. . .

Rameek
05-18-2007, 05:00 AM
Foreign baller with the love of the game and an attitude to win. I play with both Japanese ballers and on my primarily foreign team here in Tokyo.

Well, Shinjuku sports center used to be hella better. THey used to run games in two different gyms every monday but one went private and the sports center couldnt accomodate all the gym time for basketball. THey have just recently started to reopen. HOwever, YOYOGI Park is a great place to play when it is nice outside. I will be going there every monday starting from tomorrow, 3/26.
The only day I cant go during the week:banghead:

peprika129
07-06-2007, 03:08 PM
well the only types of asians that i think are good is phillies there ****ing fast

and indians yes we are asians but there are not many good indians but theres me so i had to put that in there

mhsbasketball
07-09-2007, 06:39 PM
JMels

Targus
07-09-2007, 09:29 PM
what do i think about asian ballers? same thing i think about any other baller, race doesn't change anything. their game does.