PDA

View Full Version : what happened to glenn robinson?

miller-time
01-11-2008, 05:20 AM
is he still even playing anymore? i haven't heard anything about him in ages. it was meant to be him, kidd and hill. now its just kidd with hill making minor waves.

VCMVP1551
01-11-2008, 05:24 AM
Won a ring with the Spurs in 2005 then retired.

Mathius
01-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Milwaukee screwed the Big Dog. (although possibly Vin Baker is responsible as well) They drafted him and talked all kinds of crap about building a team around him after signing him to the biggest contract in the league at the time (or was it just the biggest rookie contract ever? I forget).

The Vin Baker draft was ok, but they traded him away and his career pretty much went down the toilet after that.

I think they took Shawn Respert the next year? BIGTIME bust. Ray Allen came into town, but took too long to develop. Baker was gone by the time he started putting up good numbers.

They drafted Eric Mobley one year. Hell bent on turning him into the next Shaquille, only to leave him unprotected in the expansion draft. (or maybe they traded him? Hard to remember that long ago)

Then they went after guys like Anthony Mason? Tyrone Hill? Get a clue.

Mathius

El Kabong
01-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Milwaukee screwed the Big Dog. (although possibly Vin Baker is responsible as well) They drafted him and talked all kinds of crap about building a team around him after signing him to the biggest contract in the league at the time (or was it just the biggest rookie contract ever? I forget).

The Vin Baker draft was ok, but they traded him away and his career pretty much went down the toilet after that.

I think they took Shawn Respert the next year? BIGTIME bust. Ray Allen came into town, but took too long to develop. Baker was gone by the time he started putting up good numbers.

They drafted Eric Mobley one year. Hell bent on turning him into the next Shaquille, only to leave him unprotected in the expansion draft. (or maybe they traded him? Hard to remember that long ago)

Mathius
It was the biggest rookie contract I believe. If remember he wanted a $100 million even before he had played a game. He ended up getting a 10 year $60 million contract. Allen wasn't that bad, he was scoring well (13ppg in his rookie year, went up to 19ppg when Baker was traded). Trading Baker got them Terrell Brandon and Tyrone Hill which was decent, although the ended up trading Brandon for Cassell and Tyrone Hill for Tim Thomas. They drafted Tractor Traylor in 99 who ended up being a bust. Then they got to Game 7 of the confernce finals and lost to Philly. They traded for Mason who destroyed the teams chemistry. Then Robinson was traded to Atlanta for Toni Kukoc and a 1st rounder (Who ended up being TJ Ford.)

bringthetruth
01-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Glen had women problems with his ex wife and knee and ankle issues.

This is from 2005
Robinson is one of many players in the league who are valued for their expiring contracts. Each trading deadline, those players are used as trade bait for teams that wish to lower their salary cap number. For Robinson, his huge, unwieldy contract is a blessing straight from heaven.

Aussie Dunker
01-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Big Dog was a beast, i rated him high in his prime, he was one of the hardest players in the League to guard....

VCMVP1551
01-11-2008, 08:33 AM
First 7-8 years he was a great player. Even on the Spurs he was very good in limited minutes.

loot
01-11-2008, 10:34 AM

Mathius

What? Baker posted his best numbers in Milwaukee and was drafted before Glenn Robinson. Respert didn't pan out due to cancer. Never helps.

Baker/Allen/Glenn was a underachieving trio. No defense. Baker was allright, Glenn was allright, Allen was allright but they all were players who loved to have the ball in their hands and score. Just not the right mix.

Carmelo is just like Glenn Robinson. Both number and style wise. Glenn Robinson gets a lot of heat but people simply forget he was a very good player. It was just him being drafted over Kidd and Hill and gettign a big contract, which is why people diss the Big Dog. Ending up with the Hawks after the Bucks doesnt help your career either.

John Starks
01-11-2008, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=bringthetruth]Glen had women problems with his ex wife and knee and ankle issues.

This is from 2005
Robinson is one of many players in the league who are valued for their expiring contracts. Each trading deadline, those players are used as trade bait for teams that wish to lower their salary cap number. For Robinson, his huge, unwieldy contract is a blessing straight from heaven.

Kiddlovesnets
01-11-2008, 10:40 AM
What I can't understand is that this guy was drafted as the 1st overall pick in 1994, but his legacy doesn't seem to be any better than Kidd and Hill.

loot
01-11-2008, 10:50 AM
What I can't understand is that this guy was drafted as the 1st overall pick in 1994, but his legacy doesn't seem to be any better than Kidd and Hill.

He was a much better scorer in College and overall was a very nice player. Matter of fact he was incredible in college and even in the NBA he was crazy talented and even lived up to the hype.

Glenn was seen as THE unstoppable player in the draft Kidd was regarded as a huge pg proespect and Hill was seen as a very nice allround player, but Glenn Robinson was a champion, a warrior and always played (and practiced) hard. 30.3 pts and 10+ reb in college? That proves something.

Also Kidd already had off the court troubles involving women if I remeber correctly.

But there you have it, kids look at NBA numbers and question why a player gets drafted higer than some others. Glenn Robinson was legendary as a college player. Kidd and Hill were 'merely' very good.

artificial
01-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Give a link - this is definitely fake.
The source is clearly theonion or something among those lines.

But there you have it, kids look at NBA numbers and question why a player gets drafted higer than some others. Glenn Robinson was legendary as a college player. Kidd and Hill were 'merely' very good.
I remember some people getting offended when Melo first entered the league and was compared to Big Dog, when that was actually a compliment.

PejaNowitzki
01-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Hill, Penny, Kidd.....all those guys wound up in better situations than Glenn Robinson. He was almost always on lousy teams, surrounded by lousy talent. I don't think that he was ever capable of being "The Guy", I always saw him similar to a Shawn Marion, a complementary player, although Robinson was much better at creating his own shot, but worse at rebounding.

vert48
01-11-2008, 11:33 AM
He got paid as a rookie and stopped caring.

loot
01-11-2008, 11:34 AM
He got paid as a rookie and stopped caring.

He played hard for years. Even with the Hawks he was playing very good.

loot
01-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Hill, Penny, Kidd.....all those guys wound up in better situations than Glenn Robinson. He was almost always on lousy teams, surrounded by lousy talent. I don't think that he was ever capable of being "The Guy", I always saw him similar to a Shawn Marion, a complementary player, although Robinson was much better at creating his own shot, but worse at rebounding.

Glenn should be THE guy. Then you go out and compile a team with players who can do the rest.

I bet if Glenn had a squad with these type of players:

pg Andre Miller
sg Ray Allen

pf Haslem or Collinson
c Camby

He'd be contender.

loot
01-11-2008, 11:45 AM
And yeah, I've been comparing Melo to Gelnn Robinson from day one. And that's not a bad thing. Here's a Purdue video for the doubters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ_sIJnn86Y

Round Robin
01-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I think they took Shawn Respert the next year? BIGTIME bust.....

I wouldn't actually consider Respert a bust...he had cancer at the young age of 23 and that just drained him physically...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1962444

jerky10
01-11-2008, 12:07 PM
He had a good NBA career. His mid-range jump shot is still one of the best among players.

zadok
01-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Problem was, his nickname did not translate from college to the pro game.

Real Men Wear Green
01-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Has everyone forgotten the Cassell/Robinson/Allen team that made the ECF?

White Chocolate
01-11-2008, 04:54 PM

Sadly, yes. Only 1 win away from the Finals. Glenn Robinson was a good scorer, decent defender, and a pretty good 3 point shot. Even in 17 MPG for the Spurs in '05, he still averaged 10 PPG. He became injury prone towards the end of his Milwaukee run, but still amazingly put up good numbers.

Mathius
01-11-2008, 06:49 PM
What? Baker posted his best numbers in Milwaukee and was drafted before Glenn Robinson.

No crap. If you want to get technical about it, Milwaukee's rebuilding attempts started earlier than that. In '92 they drafted Todd Day and Lee Mayberry and traded for Blue Edwards and Eric Murdock. Mayberry never made a name for himself in the league except as a shooter. Todd Day was a John Starks/Larry Hughes, chucker type, who averaged 12ppg his rookie year, and 16 as a second year guy and then basically disappeared from the league.

And I don't know why you're pointing out Baker had his best years in Milwaukee. I never argued that. Point is, they got rid of him and got crap in return and I think it basically destroyed his career. He was never comfortable in Seattle, was hurt by the trade, and later started suffering depression and turned to alcohol.

Baker/Allen/Glenn was a underachieving trio. No defense. Baker was allright, Glenn was allright, Allen was allright but they all were players who loved to have the ball in their hands and score. Just not the right mix.

How many seasons did they play together? 1? 2?

Carmelo is just like Glenn Robinson. Both number and style wise. Glenn Robinson gets a lot of heat but people simply forget he was a very good player. It was just him being drafted over Kidd and Hill and gettign a big contract, which is why people diss the Big Dog. Ending up with the Hawks after the Bucks doesnt help your career either.

Glenn Robinson got screwed out of a lot of things early on. The Milwaukee organization is just a mess. Was then, is now. They never put good building blocks in place around him.

Robinson was one of the few draft selections the Bucks have made EVER that I actually agree with. Robinson was the right pick. He was a great compliment to Baker's game, and he put up solid numbers his whole career from the word "go".

Grant Hill had about 4 good years and then suffered injury after injury.

Jason Kidd went into Dallas and immediately there was a three way disaster with him, Mashburn, and Jim Jackson and they had to basically dismantle one of the most promising young teams in the league. The Mavs didn't really recover completely until a decade later.

I wouldn't actually consider Respert a bust...he had cancer at the young age of 23 and that just drained him physically...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1962444

Yeah, good to see you you can read the news. But the fact is Respert was a bust. He bounced around from team to team because a 6'3" shooting guard couldn't make it against the NBA's physical defense of the 90's, and he didn't have the skills to play point guard.

In fact, it didn't even come out that he had cancer until after he was out of the league.

Mathius

loot
01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah, good to see you you can read the news.

In fact, it didn't even come out that he had cancer until after he was out of the league.

Mathius
can you read?

El Kabong
01-12-2008, 01:43 AM
And I don't know why you're pointing out Baker had his best years in Milwaukee. I never argued that. Point is, they got rid of him and got crap in return and I think it basically destroyed his career. He was never comfortable in Seattle, was hurt by the trade, and later started suffering depression and turned to alcohol.
They had to trade Baker though, because at the time he had started talking about going to Boston when his contract was up. And Terrell Brandon and Tyrone Hill weren't that bad. Hill was a 10/10 player and Brandon was a really good PG before his knees gave out. I think he averaged something like 16/8 with Milwaukee.

L.Kizzle
01-12-2008, 01:48 AM
He played hard for years. Even with the Hawks he was playing very good.
Remember the Allen/Robinson drama around then. I even remember Glenn stating he was gonna whip Ray Allen's ass before the game even started.

DeuceWallaces
01-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Mathius has his timeline ****ed up.

People must have short memories if they forget the original big 3 in Big Dog, Ray Allen, and Cassel. He dominated and they were a contender. One win from the finals, and then the following year they were dominating the East until the All Star Break when they inexplicibly fell off the chart and lost the division to the Pistons, which I still can't explain.

Maybe some Bucks fan can fill me in. They were 1st in the division the whole first half and then just tanked. Did they trade one of the 3, becuase I can't remember.

White Chocolate
01-12-2008, 02:48 AM

People must have short memories if they forget the original big 3 in Big Dog, Ray Allen, and Cassel. He dominated and they were a contender. One win from the finals, and then the following year they were dominating the East until the All Star Break when they inexplicibly fell off the chart and lost the division to the Pistons, which I still can't explain.

Maybe some Bucks fan can fill me in. They were 1st in the division the whole first half and then just tanked. Did they trade one of the 3, becuase I can't remember.

Ray and Big Dog both played in less than 70 games. They were injured for a significant portion while Cassell was injured himself. The following year, Ray got traded for Gary Payton and Dog went to Atlanta.

DeuceWallaces
01-12-2008, 02:57 AM
Seemed like they had a lot of infighting within the big 3 and Karl.

DieHardBullsFan
01-12-2008, 02:59 AM
I think hes been "black balled" out of the league...there is something that he did thats keeping him out....just like JR Rider and Sprewell

how can a guy is a 20 ppg scorer dont get picked up by anyone in the league....

his defense is piss poor but still he can score....and a ton of players in the league right now cant play a lick of defense....

El Kabong
01-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Seemed like they had a lot of infighting within the big 3 and Karl.
I remember when Tim Thomas was traded to NY for Keith Van Horn, he pretty much blasted everyone in Milwaukee. George Karl for playing him as a sixth man, Cassell, Allen and Robinson for being the "big three" that couldn't win take them to the finals. It was usual Tim Thomas crap, everyone's fault except for him.

Homeslice
01-12-2008, 03:08 AM
They drafted Tractor Traylor in 99 who ended up being a bust.

No it was much worse than drafting a bust, MUCH worse. They didn't draft him, Dallas did. The Bucks drafted Dirk Nowitzki and Pat Garrity and traded both of them for him. Hell, Pat Garrity was probably better than him let alone giving up a future MVP superstar.

El Kabong
01-12-2008, 03:22 AM
No it was much worse than drafting a bust, MUCH worse. They didn't draft him, Dallas did. The Bucks drafted Dirk Nowitzki and Pat Garrity and traded both of them for him. Hell, Pat Garrity was probably better than him let alone giving up a future MVP superstar.
Yep, but they needed a centre (Ervin Johnson was their starting C), and they figured Traylor would be a Barkley type banger. Sucks how that turned out for them.

DeuceWallaces
01-12-2008, 03:41 AM

Don't dog tractor; he had some major injury issues.

L.Kizzle
01-12-2008, 03:55 AM

That was around the time Ray and Big Dogg started beef'n. Also, anyone remember when T-Mac called Glenn Robinson "Puppy Dogg" in the '01 playoffs. McGrady dominated that series, but they lost in the first round.

DieHardBullsFan
01-12-2008, 04:09 AM

yeah he had an injury....

he had a fat ass disorder... he was a poor mans Oliver Miller...

L.Kizzle
01-12-2008, 04:11 AM
yeah he had an injury....

he had a fat ass disorder... he was a poor mans Oliver Miller...
Don't you mean poor man's Stanley Robertson?

Homeslice
01-12-2008, 04:17 AM

If you are overweight and playing basketball, injuries are most likely going to be long and frequent.

duncan on U
01-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Retired after he helped us win one. Didn't have much faith in the guy to contribute but he surprised me and played his ass off for us.

White Chocolate
01-12-2008, 01:02 PM

Morbid obesity didn't help his cause.

mlh1981
01-12-2008, 03:04 PM

Tim Thomas also looked like a star in the making. Another key ingredient for that team. To say that Tim Thomas was an "up and coming" player back then wasn't quite the joke that it is now (breakout year coming up for him soon, btw :oldlol: )

Getting Anthony Mason really f ucked up that team. He didn't fit in well with them at all.

Lebron23
03-06-2012, 10:29 AM
He was only in his early 30's when he retired in the NBA. Allen, Cassell and Robinson were a good trio. They advanced in the Eastern Conference Finals back in 2001. Robinson is still better than the Current Michael Beasley. I still have his NBA team USA basketball Cards.

PJR
03-06-2012, 10:33 AM
He plays for the Knicks. Wears no. 7.

Lebron23
03-06-2012, 10:33 AM

:lol :lol :lol

JMT
03-06-2012, 11:51 AM

Shawn Marion?!? A hustle, defensive minded, speed and athleticism player with a suspect jumper?

Robinson was Melo. Big, bulky, shoot first second and third. Decent rebounder when he put in the effort. Invisible defensively.

Not surrounded by great talent, but also not the kind of guy who did much to make teammates better.

Really good iso scorer. Good range for his size. Kept himself in the league by adjusting his game a bit as he got older.

JMT
03-06-2012, 11:53 AM

:cheers:

chocolatethunder
03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Not surrounded by great talent, but also not the kind of guy who did much to make teammates better.

I dunno how Sam Cassell and Ray Allen aren't considered good talent.

Rake2204
03-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Glenn's son, Glenn Robinson III, is coming to the University of Michigan next year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eQTjNbItn0

ErhnamDjinn
03-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I always used to get pissed of with Glenn Robinson because his cards were higher in Beckett than Kidd same with Grant Hill who had the highest priced cards next to Jordan at the time. I dont really remember much of him playing except that he was a good scorer. And as someone mentioned his J was money from mid range.

Dwade305
03-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Big Dog had the mid-range game on lock. Could defend pretty good when he set his mind to it, too bad that did not happen very much.

Lebron23
03-07-2012, 02:47 AM
I always used to get pissed of with Glenn Robinson because his cards were higher in Beckett than Kidd same with Grant Hill who had the highest priced cards next to Jordan at the time. I dont really remember much of him playing except that he was a good scorer. And as someone mentioned his J was money from mid range.

I collected Penny Hardaway NBA Cards back in the day.

bizil
03-07-2012, 04:23 AM
Big Dog was a beast indeed. I definitely see Big Dog traits in Melo. But Melo has plenty of Bernard King in him as well. He has a great mix of both guys in his game. King and Melo has a certain baseline and wing explosiveness that Big Dog didn't have. I think a forerunner to Big Dog's game in some ways was Mark Aguirre. Both had very similar scoring skillsets. Aguirre was a beast who gets slept on big time.

bdreason
03-07-2012, 04:31 AM
I always thought Glenn was one dimensional. Great shooter, good scorer... and that's about it.

JMT
03-07-2012, 09:41 AM
I dunno how Sam Cassell and Ray Allen aren't considered good talent.

I dunno how you can't differentiate between the words "good" and "great".

chocolatethunder
03-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I dunno how you can't differentiate between the words "good" and "great".
Oooh sorry to misquote you pal. I'd say Allen and Cassell were great talents. One of the best shooters to ever play and a PG who won two championships. Yes I'll say they were great talents and Allen is still a good player.

JMT
03-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Oooh sorry to misquote you .

Apology accepted. Those one word quotes are tough ones.

Remainder disregarded; it's a moot point anyway, as I followed with "but also not the kind of guy who did much to make teammates better."

chocolatethunder
03-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Apology accepted. Those one word quotes are tough ones.

Remainder disregarded; it's a moot point anyway, as I followed with "but also not the kind of guy who did much to make teammates better."
I don't follow what you're saying. He was surrounded by great talent he just wasn't a guy who made his teammates better. What he didn't didn't do for his teammates is completely unrelated to what kind of talent he had around him. Whether he had great talent around him or not, he just wasn't that kind of guy. So no it's not a moot point in any way.

Smoke117
03-07-2012, 07:13 PM
He chucked his way out of the league. I could never stand Glenn Robinson. This clown was taking more shots than Ray Allen while averaging LESS POINTS. That's what a chucking douche he was. Ray could have been averaging 25ppg during those Bucks days when he had his full athleticism and handles, but Glenn Robinson was such a chucker he was taking shots away from him. Here's a good example: In the 2001 season they both averaged 22ppg. Ray did it on 16.0 shot attempts a game while Robinson did it on 19.2. Why the hell was Robinson taking more shots than the best player on the team? It isn't as if Ft's played much of a role either as ray shot 4.8 to Robinson's 4.0. Glenn Robinson was just a clown.

chocolatethunder
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
He chucked his way out of the league. I could never stand Glenn Robinson. This clown was taking more shots than Ray Allen while averaging LESS POINTS. That's what a chucking douche he was. Ray could have been averaging 25ppg during those Bucks days when he had his full athleticism and handles, but Glenn Robinson was such a chucker he was taking shots away from him. Here's a good example: In the 2001 season they both averaged 22ppg. Ray did it on 16.0 shot attempts a game while Robinson did it on 19.2. Why the hell was Robinson taking more shots than the best player on the team? It isn't as if Ft's played much of a role either as ray shot 4.8 to Robinson's 4.0. Glenn Robinson was just a clown.
Robinson was like that for sure. Funny thing about Ray Allen. If he was more aggressive taking the ball to the hole he would have been unstoppable. I loved when he would put the ball on the floor and just bang it on dudes. The thing is, that just wasn't his mentality. It's a shame because he was a really good player anyway but he would have been amazing.

Smoke117
03-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Robinson was like that for sure. Funny thing about Ray Allen. If he was more aggressive taking the ball to the hole he would have been unstoppable. I loved when he would put the ball on the floor and just bang it on dudes. The thing is, that just wasn't his mentality. It's a shame because he was a really good player anyway but he would have been amazing.

He became more like that on the Sonics and I believe he was a better basketball player, but his absolute athletic prime was on the Bucks where he was too unselfish. Cassell was okay as he knew his role but Glenn Robinson had a hero complex. Look at 2000 also: Ray Average 22.1ppg on 17.2 shot attempts...Robinson averaged 20.9ppg on 18.0 shot attempts. I dunno how George Karl let this joker get away with this shit. It's pretty clear who the best player on the team was and who should be taking the shots. Ray should have been taking 18-20 shots a night and Robinson 16 at max.