PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best fadeaway/fallaway jumpshot ever?

mjbulls23
01-14-2008, 04:10 AM
I've heard names like Kobe, KG, Chamberlain, Nowitzki, Jordan, Hakeem, etc.....

I give the nod to MJ with Hakeem a close second place

http://i11.tinypic.com/6povxae.gif

:pimp:

VCMVP1551
01-14-2008, 04:12 AM
Jordan. It was almost like a lay up for him.

RIP CITY
01-14-2008, 04:25 AM
It's Jordan, he mastered it. It was deadly, his % on that shot had to be pretty high, it was damn near automatic. Couldn't stop it.

I would put Kobe next, he copied Jordan's for the most part, but it's not as good as the original. Still very nice, but not quite as automatic as MJ's was.

Hakeem was the best big man at this, and his was unstoppable as well. His release was so high no one could block it. Plus he would hit you with a nice shake before he went up. He would shoot from what looked like behind the backboard alot too, really soft touch on it.

3stat2
01-14-2008, 04:37 AM
Yeah MJ's was amazing especially when you factor in how far back he fades and how high he elevates for it.

Anyone know what his percentage was on those fadeaways?

VCMVP1551
01-14-2008, 04:52 AM
Hakeem was the best big man at this, and his was unstoppable as well. His release was so high no one could block it. Plus he would hit you with a nice shake before he went up. He would shoot from what looked like behind the backboard alot too, really soft touch on it.

I might KG the nod over Dream as far as big men. KG is slightly taller, he has a higher release and he is a better shooter. However Dream had superior footwork and was better at fakes so he could get open easier.

Make It Rain
01-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Sheed's is underrated. When my team's playing the Pistons and it's in the 4th qtr, I cringe every time Sheed gets it on the block. Bird had a good fadeaway too. His release was so high and had such a large arc that it was impossible to block even though he doesn't get much elevation.

LuppersGB
01-14-2008, 05:53 AM
Its crazy to watch that mj move and see how kobe pretty much replicates it -just with an extra fake. Im in no position to answer as i have limited knowledge on the nba before a few years ago, but atm the moment id say kobe and im gona take your word on mj as the goat fadeaway shooter

VCMVP1551
01-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Its crazy to watch that mj move and see how kobe pretty much replicates it -just with an extra fake. Im in no position to answer as i have limited knowledge on the nba before a few years ago, but atm the moment id say kobe and im gona take your word on mj as the goat fadeaway shooter

I have a link to a game from 1995 where MJ scored 55 I'll post a link later.

miller-time
01-14-2008, 06:45 AM
I might KG the nod over Dream as far as big men. KG is slightly taller, he has a higher release and he is a better shooter. However Dream had superior footwork and was better at fakes so he could get open easier.

olajuwon is taller then garnett.. right??

Indian guy
01-14-2008, 08:48 AM
MJ's definitely the KING from the baselines and while posting up. Kobe's better from farther away from the basket though. The lift he gets on those 20-22 ft fadeaways is 2nd to none in NBA history. He's got amazing balance too. It's such a routine shot for him.

JellyBean
01-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Hakeem by far. Jordan is next. KG, my boy, is 3rd.

Kebab Stall
01-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Jordan is definitly first for me. He makes it look easier than a layup, and he mastered it better than anyone else. Hakeem isn't too far behind, being in second. Hakeem never just shot a fade-away, he would shake and fake you first, then out of nowhere he'd put up a beautiful arching shot that would just pour down like rain.

apriorist
01-14-2008, 09:48 AM
olajuwon is taller then garnett.. right??

Olajuwon: 6-10
KG: 6-11

gb8
01-14-2008, 10:03 AM
MJ alltime, and kobe a close second. Mj was better at backing down a little bit so he got slightly easier shots for himself in relation to the turnaround then the ones kobe takes. Kobe makes the most ridiculous angled baseline (especially behind the left side of the backboard almost) then anyone else I have seen.

stewen12
01-14-2008, 10:10 AM
D wade

stewen12
01-14-2008, 10:10 AM
D wade

kidachi
01-14-2008, 11:06 AM
MJ. hands down.

i like KG's too.

dejordan
01-14-2008, 11:14 AM
bird's was brutal because he shot it from behind his head with such a high arc. same with mchale though his was more turnaround a less fadeaway. i'd put mike first because he got so much separation, had such a strength advantage most of the time, and had the most countermoves from the high post. hakeem and ewing both had terrific baseline fades. karl malone and barkley both had good ones as well with decent range.

kobe's got the best fadeaway right now. ming has a great turnaround j, but doesn't need to fade because of his height (i hate when he fades on that shot). dirk's got a great one but can be bodied out of it. boozer shoots one sometimes and his very good touch. kg's is great because he gets such good extention, but i usually feel like he could get a better shot against most defenses this year.

BigJake
01-14-2008, 11:29 AM
It's Jordan, he mastered it. It was deadly, his % on that shot had to be pretty high, it was damn near automatic. Couldn't stop it.

I would put Kobe next, he copied Jordan's for the most part, but it's not as good as the original. Still very nice, but not quite as automatic as MJ's was.

:rockon: :applause: :cheers: :party2:

DieHardBullsFan
01-14-2008, 11:30 AM
I've heard names like Kobe, KG, Chamberlain, Nowitzki, Jordan, Hakeem, etc.....

I give the nod to MJ with Hakeem a close second place

http://i11.tinypic.com/6povxae.gif

:pimp:

Jordan

end thread...nothing to discuss!

Da KO King
01-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Jordan

end thread...nothing to discuss!
He was great but you guys give Michael Jordan too much credit for too many things.

Best fade/fall-away ever was Jack Sikma. Not only was his entire offensive game built on it but it changed that way post moves were taught.

Second to me was Elvin Hayes. Elvin also built his offensive game around that shot and changed post play with it.

Crazy Style
01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Reggie Miller should be in the disscusion.

DieHardBullsFan
01-14-2008, 11:48 AM
He was great but you guys give Michael Jordan too much credit for too many things.

Best fade/fall-away ever was Jack Sikma. Not only was his entire offensive game built on it but it changed that way post moves were taught.

Second to me was Elvin Hayes. Elvin also built his offensive game around that shot and changed post play with it.

oh yeah we give a guy who's a 6 time finals MVP and a 5 time league MVP too much credit :rolleyes:

dude Kobe, Wade and Garnett would never have the fadeaway in their games if it wasnt for Jordan....

I dont think Garnett or Kobe was practicing everyday saying "damn man I want a fadeaway just like Jack Sikma" or and they were not even Born and couldnt remember when Hayes played...

not to take anything from Sikma or Hayes.....Sikma an underrated center and Hayes one of the best sf ever....but still Jordan is the best ever when it comes to the fadeaway!

DieHardBullsFan
01-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Reggie Miller should be in the disscusion.

eeeeh it wasnt a fadeaway...

Miller was the master of taking that quick shot off the screen and he mastered the art of the pump fake and taking the shot making his opponent foul you....Ive never seen any player that was successful in getting that call like him....

Knoe Itawl
01-14-2008, 11:52 AM
MJ's definitely the KING from the baselines and while posting up. Kobe's better from farther away from the basket though. The lift he gets on those 20-22 ft fadeaways is 2nd to none in NBA history. He's got amazing balance too. It's such a routine shot for him.

WTF are you talking about?

Da KO King
01-14-2008, 12:03 PM
dude Kobe, Wade and Garnett would never have the fadeaway in their games if it wasnt for Jordan....

I dont think Garnett or Kobe was practicing everyday saying "damn man I want a fadeaway just like Jack Sikma" or and they were not even Born and couldnt remember when Hayes played...
:rolleyes: Yes, they shoot fades because of Michael Jordan. Yet the fact that Hayes and Sikma gave validity to the shot hold no weight at all.

Like I said you guys are giving Mike too much credit here.

dejordan
01-14-2008, 12:34 PM
:rolleyes: Yes, they shoot fades because of Michael Jordan. Yet the fact that Hayes and Sikma gave validity to the shot hold no weight at all.

Like I said you guys are giving Mike too much credit here.
don't worry. it won't be long before some young guy comes in and starts killing it with the fadeaway and everyone will say, 'oh he's good, but he learned it from kobe.' and no one will remember that kobe took it from mj, mj took it from bird, and larry took it from hayes, who took it from elgin, who took it from wilt, who took it from pettit, who got it straight from naismith with a peach. in sports nothing is more than 2 generations old.

i do think michael's effectiveness with the move is hard to top. when he had lift and was hitting the baseline fade you couldn't even double it. it's like saying there's a better hook than kareem's. if it's an unstoppable half court weapon that all you can do is body the shooter and hope, then what more can you ask?

matt1016
01-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't say it was the "best ever" but former Pistons center James "Buddha" Edwards had a bad-arse fadeaway jumper. I think it probably kept him in the league, because he didn't rebound, defend, or block shots very well...

Eldrunko247
01-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Kobe's is not even close to MJ's. People to learn what a damn fade away is. Kobe does it most of the time for styling than he uses it as an effective weapon.

DieHardBullsFan
I wouldn't say it was the "best ever" but former Pistons center James "Buddha" Edwards had a bad-arse fadeaway jumper. I think it probably kept him in the league, because he didn't rebound, defend, or block shots very well...

Lol I remember Buddha as a Bull and everytime he would get in the game he would get into the post and shoot a fadeaway lmao!

Knoe Itawl
don't worry. it won't be long before some young guy comes in and starts killing it with the fadeaway and everyone will say, 'oh he's good, but he learned it from kobe.' and no one will remember that kobe took it from mj, mj took it from bird, and larry took it from hayes, who took it from elgin, who took it from wilt, who took it from pettit, who got it straight from naismith with a peach. in sports nothing is more than 2 generations old.

i do think michael's effectiveness with the move is hard to top. when he had lift and was hitting the baseline fade you couldn't even double it. it's like saying there's a better hook than kareem's. if it's an unstoppable half court weapon that all you can do is body the shooter and hope, then what more can you ask?

Do the playoffs count to anyone around here or is the same credence given to regular season performance as the post season?

Taking into account effectiveness in pulling off that move under the greatest pressure and biggest circumstances, no one comes close to Michael Jordan period, end of story.

It's one thing to be able to do something on a playground, or against say the worst defensive team in the league during the regular season.

It's another thing entirely to be able to do it, time after time, on the game's biggest stage.

I don't think enough people here really grasp that concept.

dirkdiggler41
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
MJ got this one. I belive Dirk has the best fade-away jumper in todays game. You might say that Kobe's looks better and is more of a "true" fade-away, but dirk fade-away on all his shots and he shoots a higher % from the floor. Also Nash should be added. His fade-away in the paint is money

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2KvlOOiFLUQ&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tiuwlyVbFpw&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pDBsKXCIdiY&feature=related

dejordan
01-14-2008, 01:29 PM
MJ got this one. I belive Dirk has the best fade-away jumper in todays game. You might say that Kobe's looks better and is more of a "true" fade-away, but dirk fade-away on all his shots and he shoots a higher % from the floor. Also Nash should be added. His fade-away in the paint is money

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2KvlOOiFLUQ&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tiuwlyVbFpw&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pDBsKXCIdiY&feature=related
yeah dirk came to mind. nash is an interesting call. i think the op intended to discuss post up fadeaways in particular, but nash fades all the time. good call.

sixerfan82
01-14-2008, 01:49 PM
that last one there from dirk is the best one. the other two look like he forced them.

hateraid
01-14-2008, 02:15 PM
The best ever was Reggie lewis. Wether it was a turnaround fadeaway or driving baseline pullup fadeaway. I really beleive if his career was prolonged he would have been known as the textbook form for a fadeaway. Better than Jordan's.

dejordan
01-14-2008, 02:22 PM
The best ever was Reggie lewis. Wether it was a turnaround fadeaway or driving baseline pullup fadeaway. I really beleive if his career was prolonged he would have been known as the textbook form for a fadeaway. Better than Jordan's.
my boy reggie with the baseline pullup! i never felt like he really faded that much. just sort of leaned back and stroked it in your face. lethal! man he was good. athletic. long. strong. good defender. had range. handle. reportedly dumb as a stump, but he could ball.

veilside23
01-14-2008, 02:49 PM
all time jordan
bigman its gotta be kg.

clayton
01-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Jordan. But right now, still Kobe.

hateraid
09-14-2013, 11:49 AM
my boy reggie with the baseline pullup! i never felt like he really faded that much. just sort of leaned back and stroked it in your face. lethal! man he was good. athletic. long. strong. good defender. had range. handle. reportedly dumb as a stump, but he could ball.

This guy knew it!

#number6ix#
09-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Dirk has the best and most unstoppable fadeaway

TheSilentKiller
09-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Sheed's is underrated. When my team's playing the Pistons and it's in the 4th qtr, I cringe every time Sheed gets it on the block. Bird had a good fadeaway too. His release was so high and had such a large arc that it was impossible to block even though he doesn't get much elevation.
Came here to post this. Not as the best, but as you said one of the most underrated.

SHAQisGOAT
09-14-2013, 01:26 PM
I would probably say Bird. Quick example(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtpjCnOoO1Y

Players like Jordan, Dirk, Kobe, Wilt, Oscar or Hakeem can be argued.

MP.Trey
09-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Came here to post this. Not as the best, but as you said one of the most underrated.
That makes three of us. :lol Sheed's turnaround is money and he was one of the first names that popped up in my head upon reading the thread title.

Mass Debator
09-14-2013, 01:53 PM
The cousins are underrated here. Vince and T-Mac. Best tho? Jordan.

Harison
09-14-2013, 11:46 PM
All-time: Jordan from mid-range, Bird from 3PT.

Jordan always knew how to get open and his shot was a high %. While Bird from 3PT was deadly regardless if he was open or not - very high release with length made him almost unblockable.

Now: KG from mid-range and Dirk/Kobe from 3PT.

Not only KG's fadeway is automatic, its also high %, he is shooting 50% from 18-20FT. Dirk and Kobe are fantastic from 3PT (when they get hot, and Kobe plays smart :oldlol:)

zoom17
09-14-2013, 11:48 PM

Jordan always knew how to get open and his shot was a high %. While Bird from 3PT was deadly regardless if he was open or not - very high release with length made him almost unblockable.

Not only KG's fadeway is automatic, its also high %, he is shooting 50% from 18-20FT. Dirk and Kobe are fantastic from 3PT (when they get hot, and Kobe plays smart :oldlol:)

Want about KD he is better than kg at this stage of his career.

Harison
09-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Want about KD he is better than kg at this stage of his career.

KD at this point is better than any of those old guys, but speaking of fadeways, its not exactly a go-to move for KD. He can shoot (and make) those, just when we think of Durant, "fadeaway" doesnt come to the mind at first, or second, or third for that matter :oldlol:

fos
09-15-2013, 01:52 AM
The guy in my avatar, and it's not even close. When he posts you up in his sweet spot and fades away there is nothing you can do about it but pray to your false god that he misses.

SamuraiSWISH
09-15-2013, 01:55 AM
I'm bias to MJ, but it's pretty evident he had the best combination of strength, footwork, post moves, quickness, leaping ability, separation, difficult shot maker and accuracy. So yea, that's my reasoning.

branslowski
09-15-2013, 02:12 AM
Kobe. Hands down. Especially the fadeaways with a man on him from 20+ feet. Just f*cking crazy. I mean just once again look at the famous fadeaway Kobe did when he slapped Gentry on da ass. Shot in Hills mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgwdlK06Evw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just beautiful.:applause:

Young X
09-15-2013, 02:32 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-22318-Michael-Jordan-ball-fake-gif-SvYu.gif

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2912627/jordan-fadeaway-o.gif

Not even close. Dumb ass n!ggas.

andgar923
09-15-2013, 02:33 AM
Underrated

andgar923
09-15-2013, 02:36 AM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2912627/jordan-fadeaway-o.gif

Not even close. Dumb ass n!ggas.

That's what I'm saying

Eric Cartman
09-15-2013, 02:39 AM
[QUOTE=andgar923]That's what I'm saying

andgar923
09-15-2013, 02:50 AM
That's why Kobe's shots are always ridicolously more contested than MJ's. In terms of pure shooting of course he stacks up and maybe the best difficult shot maker in NBA history. But you talk about getting separation from your defenders and he can't even touch MJ, which is surprising because MJ wasn't a fantastic 3 point shooter so you could give him more space to operate.

Mj hits alot of the shots Kobe makes, but he makes them look easier, just does.

As far as people not giving MJ space

ILLsmak
09-15-2013, 02:51 AM

yea I'm surprised nobody mentioned Bird as a fall away shooter. His shit was nice.

-Smak

andgar923
09-15-2013, 02:56 AM
yea I'm surprised nobody mentioned Bird as a fall away shooter. His shit was nice.

-Smak

He's been mentioned a number of times. I was gonna mention him as well, one of the first names that popped up but felt Microwave needed the props after a number of people mentioned Bird.

Deuce Bigalow
09-15-2013, 03:05 AM
This is an awesome GIF

I<3NBA
09-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Jordan, and no one's even close. Jordan stayed so long in the air he can literally just wait for his defender to land on the ground and take his shot uncontested.

pauk
09-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Better question is who the 2ND best was...

Element
09-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Factoring in range, ability to get shot off, effectiveness:

Smalls:

Kobe
MJ
Nash

Bigs:

Dirk
KG
Hakeem

-23-
09-15-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm surprised lazeruss/jlauber hasn't hijacked this thread to say how Wilt can fadeaway from half court, and cause earthquakes by jumping so high.

fpliii
04-13-2014, 05:22 PM

:applause:

Smook A.
04-13-2014, 05:31 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3167276/kobe-fadeaway-on-lebron-o.gif
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/4243086/dirk-s-signature-fadeaway-o.gif

MJ had the most beautiful one though

ThePhantomCreep
04-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Jordan (#1 hands down)
bird
Kobe