PDA

View Full Version : Is Tracy McGrady a Hall of Famer at this point?

White Chocolate
01-21-2008, 05:50 PM
His back is starting to get worse and worse, and his time is certainly running out. Would be a Hall of Famer if he retired at the end of this season?

-22.4 PPG
-6.2 RPG
-4.6 APG
-1.4 SPG
-1.0 BPG
-43.9% from the field
-34.1% from 3s
-7x All-Star(8 if this year)
-2x All-NBA 1st team
-3x All-NBA 2nd team
-1x All-NBA 3rd team
-2x Scoring Champion

bdreason
01-21-2008, 05:52 PM
It's the Hall of Fame.... not the Hall of Really Good.

White Chocolate
01-21-2008, 05:52 PM
It's the Hall of Fame.... not the Hall of Really Good.

Guys have made it with less than him.

i seen hippos
01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
VC will make it before he does.

mlh1981
01-21-2008, 05:54 PM
He was certainly good in his prime, and was a great scoring threat, but wasn't able to keep it up for a long enough period of time, didn't really bring a lot of intangibles, and so far hasn't had much playoff success.

My theory on the HOF is...........if there is ANY question as to whether or not they belong, then they don't.

Thorpesaurous
01-21-2008, 05:54 PM
I think he's in. He does have multiple scoring titles, and the list of guys with that who are not in is really short. I think it's just Adrian Dantley, and by most accounts, he should be in too.

White Chocolate
01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
He was certainly good in his prime, and was a great scoring threat, but wasn't able to keep it up for a long enough period of time, didn't really bring a lot of intangibles, and so far hasn't had much playoff success.

My theory on the HOF is...........if there is ANY question as to whether or not they belong, then they don't.

Dominique Wilkins didn't have much success in the playoffs, but he got in. Of course he played much longer and scored a bit more, but T-Mac could play defense just like Dominique.

Does Kobe Bryant belong in the Hall of Fame? I had to ask, so I guess he doesn't belong. :D

BIGSHOT
01-21-2008, 05:59 PM
No.

White Chocolate
01-21-2008, 06:08 PM
No.

Why not?

vert48
01-21-2008, 06:08 PM
No

White Chocolate
01-21-2008, 06:10 PM
No

My question to BIGSHOT applies to you too.

BIGSHOT
01-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Well, I simply don't think he has accomplished enough team-wise or individual wise. Of course he will probably make it because the basketball hall-of-fame is the easiest to get into.

White Chocolate
01-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Well, I simply don't think he has accomplished enough team-wise or individual wise. Of course he will probably make it because the basketball hall-of-fame is the easiest to get into.

At least you gave a reason. I'm still waiting for the other dude to respond, perhaps he's afraid he'll get burned. Anyway, Dominique Wilkins was on a Hawks team that wasn't that good most of the time. The Hawks peaked in 1988, coming 1 win away from the ECF.

T-Mac was in a similar position. Toronto was a decent team, but that was when the East was half way decent. Orlando was no better than Toronto, some would say Orlando was worse. Houston for the past 4 years have been up and down. It's hard to have much team success when your supporting cast sucks and the team needs you to score 30 PPG.

The Chosen One
01-21-2008, 06:26 PM
no way

White Chocolate
01-21-2008, 06:29 PM
no way

Give a reason please? I'm tired of these 1 and 2 word answers.

Linas Kleiza
01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Definitely not a 1st ballot HOF'er.

his scoring titles and popularity are all that he has.

-zero 1st round victories? terrible

boozehound
01-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Guys have made it with less than him.
sure, but its not a stat contest. those guys were either important on really good teams, or had something that set them apart. I persona

White Chocolate
01-21-2008, 06:47 PM
sure, but its not a stat contest. those guys were either important on really good teams, or had something that set them apart. I persona

McGrady was the heart of those Magic teams. Take him off, and they probably win 30 games at best. He got them to the playoffs, and almost upset the #1 seed in 2003. They did choke, but they wouldn't have even been there had it not been for McGrady. He has 2 scoring titles and was putting up excellent numbers from both ends of the court. Not many guys have been able to do that.

b4ball
01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
The only hall he'll find himself in is at the hospital. The man has never been out of the first round of the playoff except when he was in Toronto watching his equally soft cousin Wince.

evinecz
01-21-2008, 06:54 PM
yes.. i think he is an hall of famer.. 2 socring tittles is a lock..i guess...

w00terz
01-21-2008, 06:58 PM
T-Mac sucks. AI is older and still better.

White Chocolate
01-21-2008, 07:04 PM
T-Mac sucks. AI is older and still better.

And not as injured.

starface
01-21-2008, 07:11 PM

tru dat

vert48
01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
My question to BIGSHOT applies to you too.Because his career has not been good enough. How many HOF'rs never made it out of the first round? How many did not make it out of the first round when they were playing with a dominating center? He has only been first team all NBA a couple of times. He was only great on the offensive end of the floor. Just not enough.

Linas Kleiza
01-21-2008, 09:11 PM
The 19 straight losses during his prime still stick out in mind.

Bulls08Champs
01-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I think he was on a Hall of Fame path around the time he signed with Houston. His personal statistics are probably good enough. But the fact that he has never gotten out of the first round of the playoffs is what kills him. The fact that he and Yao have not advanced to the second round of the Playoffs together is pathetic.

Jasper
01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
22 ppg career average 16,000 career points doesn't put him in this man's catagory to be a HOF

Gervin http://www.nba.com/history/players/gervin_summary.html

T-mac if he averaged above 25 PPG and had 3-4 solid years without injury maybe ....

RoseCity07
01-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Well Kobe gets in after riding Shaq to 3 titles. I think T Mac will get in if he uses Yao to win some titles. Right now it's tough to say.

He is famous as hell and won't be forgotten so why not? 13 in 35 makes him a legend. I think he'll get in.:banana:

meh
01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Based on what I've seen is currently in the basketball HOF, I'd have to answer yes. His peak, and his entire body of work is worth it. I think if he retires today, he'd be borderline HOF. If plays another few injury-plagued years averaging even 20/5/5, I think he's in. Mainly because of his incredible peak, and the fact that he's famous enough to be voted in to so many all-star games(even if some undeserving).

If I had a vote would I vote for T-Mac? No. But that's because my personal standards are higher than the HOF. But then again, my standards mean squat because I don't make decisions on the HOF.

MfC93
01-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Of course he will, he's had great games and seasons that not many would match. The monster teams TMac has matched up against in first rounds apart from Utah, should be taken into account, if thats questioned by the judges.

knickscity
01-21-2008, 11:55 PM
If Tracy can get some playoff success, then yes. If not, questionable at best.

It is sad though how it works sometimes. Role players who literally latch on to teams who are on the verge are locks for it. Superstars not always get it.

Chuck Thou NBA
01-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Absolutely not and I'm a big Tracy McGrady fan. In my mind you have to accomplish some post season success, but he's a real good player. He still has time left.

Should of stayed in Orlando though. T-Mac & Dwight Howard= championships. In the East I mean come on...

evinecz
01-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Absolutely not and I'm a big Tracy McGrady fan. In my mind you have to accomplish some post season success, but he's a real good player. He still has time left.

Should of stayed in Orlando though. T-Mac & Dwight Howard= championships. In the East I mean come on...
if he had stayed in orlando.. dwigth would not be in orlando

Chuck Thou NBA
01-22-2008, 12:08 AM
if he had stayed in orlando.. dwigth would not be in orlando

:oldlol:

Care to ellaborate why?

:oldlol: rookies...

L.Kizzle
01-22-2008, 12:12 AM
If Tracy McGrady retired at the end of this season, he's a Hall of Famer. He has all the individual awards and accomplishments to make the hall.

People using the first round excuse, Pistol Pete never got out of the first round (except his last season with the Celtics and he barley played that season). Wilkins as mentioned earlier got of the first round twice I believe. Dave Bing never had any real post season success and also Connie Hawkins.

Here is something, every player with at least 6 or more All-NBA teams ia a Hall of Famer or future Hall of Famer.

meh
01-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Absolutely not and I'm a big Tracy McGrady fan. In my mind you have to accomplish some post season success.

So if T-Mac leaves Houston after this contract, go to the best team in the NBA at that time for vet minimum, wins the championship as a bench player, THEN he's worthy of being in the HOF?

I think playoff success is overrated for an individual player(obviously not when it comes to judging teams though). Especially since T-Mac has performed incredibly well during the playoffs.

His teammates? Not so much. How much of that is on T-Mac himself?

apeman222
01-22-2008, 12:46 AM
no.

Make It Rain
01-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Not a first ballot. But definitely a hall of famer. He's on the same boat as 'Nique.

guy
01-22-2008, 01:36 AM
You know what Tmac, has in common with Jordan, Wilt, Drobinson, and Shaq? There the only 5 players to have a 30+ PER in a season. Not saying stats are everything, but thats an elite company. Anyway, I think he should get in, cause similar players have gotten into the hall of fame, and even though he's never gotten out of the first round, its not really his fault. His teammates usually just weren't good enough, or in the Rockets case didn't perform well enough, while Tmac has always stepped his game up in the playoffs.

RoseCity07
01-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Isn't Ewing a hall of famer...He has no rings. So yes McGrady is going to be in the HOF.

DieHardBullsFan
01-22-2008, 02:15 AM
His back is starting to get worse and worse, and his time is certainly running out. Would be a Hall of Famer if he retired at the end of this season?

-22.4 PPG
-6.2 RPG
-4.6 APG
-1.4 SPG
-1.0 BPG
-43.9% from the field
-34.1% from 3s
-2x All-NBA 1st team
-3x All-NBA 2nd team
-1x All-NBA 3rd team
-2x Scoring Champion

yes he needs a MVP to go along with this resume but hes 80 pct there though

random comment here:

I disagreed with someone on ISH about Nash being a HOF'er

I will have to agree with that person....

just for the simple fact that he has 2 MVP's and his stats most def. gets him in the HOF....I wont say first ballot but I think he gets in....

trig
01-22-2008, 02:33 AM
tmac will eventually get it but he has to wait for a long time bec of lack of team success. It's easier to vote a guy that has good stats + championship(win or lose)

Silverbullit
01-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Tracy McGrady has good chances to make the Hall of Fame, but he is no lock!

Among active players, there are...

Locks:
Shaquille O'Neal
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Allen Iverson
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Kobe Bryant

Good chances:
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Jason Kidd

kidachi
01-22-2008, 08:09 AM
ahmmmmmmm. no!

Zak
01-22-2008, 08:16 AM
He has a chance of making it, I'm not going to search for all the awards he has won and all his stats as people above have already done that for me.

The whole playoff failure can not be used against him, considering he was almost the only reason his team made it to the playoffs to begin with. (Now with the Rockets this season he has no excuse if he can stay healthy for the rest of the season, as the team isn't that bad.)

DOUBLE DRIBBLE
01-22-2008, 08:17 AM

-22.4 PPG
-6.2 RPG
-4.6 APG
-1.4 SPG
-1.0 BPG
-43.9% from the field
-34.1% from 3s
-2x All-NBA 1st team
-3x All-NBA 2nd team
-1x All-NBA 3rd team
-2x Scoring ChampionI don't think he deserves to get in yet.... if he plays 4 or 5 more years at his current level of play shows the consistency then yeah.

Nothing is really impressive on that list.... except for the 2 scoring titles and the 2 all nba team, but that alone doesn't qualify for entrance into the HOF. Both those shooting percentages are weak, the allstar selections don't mean anything (allstar+popularity contest) the career scoring average is good. Not to mention how many games he has missed during his career.... I don't even care about the playoff first round exits.... but people need to stop making excuses for him by saying he doesn't have a team around him, last time I checked... Yao Ming wasn't considered "nothing"

DOUBLE DRIBBLE
01-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Then again I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it in the HOF...even if he retired today. NBA HOF is the easiest of all the 4 major sports to make it in. They need to rethink the criteria of selecting which players should be in or not.... I think there are a lot of players that shouldn't be in there that is.

Richie2k6
01-22-2008, 08:22 AM

Locks:
Shaquille O'Neal
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Allen Iverson
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Kobe Bryant

Good chances:
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Jason Kidd
Kidd is a lock.

DOUBLE DRIBBLE
01-22-2008, 08:26 AM
The whole playoff failure can not be used against him, considering he was almost the only reason his team made it to the playoffs to begin with. (Now with the Rockets this season he has no excuse if he can stay healthy for the rest of the season, as the team isn't that bad.)What do you mean? They are just as good this year as they were last year.... they will finish with probably the identical record of last year and get bounced in the first round. If he doesn't have an excuse this year then he didn't have one last year.

Edit: actually they are on pace to lose 10 games more than last season.

mjbulls23
01-22-2008, 08:32 AM

Locks:
Shaquille O'Neal
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Allen Iverson
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Kobe Bryant

Good chances:
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Jason Kidd

ya Kidd is a lock and IMO if VC or Tracy can win a championship or two as a major contributor then they will be locks as well.

duncan on U
01-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Almost, a couple more 20+ppg seasons and he'll be in.

wizzla11
01-22-2008, 09:44 AM
I think he's in. He does have multiple scoring titles, and the list of guys with that who are not in is really short. I think it's just Adrian Dantley, and by most accounts, he should be in too.

He had a good career but the Hall is for th eones that had great careers. He had 2 scoring titles but didn't help win anything and was never an real MVP candidate ot had any playoff success. There are players with great careers(DJ) that weren't put in. (yet) so i say NO to him and to the guy that said VC will get in before him he's right but VC won't get in he has done less (slam dunk competition does not get you in)

poeticism707
01-22-2008, 03:38 PM
At this point in their respective careers, McGrady is probably more deserving than KG.

T-Mac has never missed the playoffs for three years running like KG. In fact, T-Mac has never missed the playoffs as the main man at all.

poeticism707
01-22-2008, 03:44 PM
More deserving than KG? Based on what? KG has had more team success and has more individual accomplishments. I don't see how you can say this at all.

Read my post again, por favor.

I spelled out my reasoning most clearly.

White Chocolate
01-22-2008, 08:57 PM

Locks:
Shaquille O'Neal
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Allen Iverson
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Kobe Bryant

Good chances:
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Jason Kidd

Jason Kidd is a lock. He's one of the best point guards in the last 14 years. In that time, only Gary Payton was better.

KRAYZIE
01-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Give a reason please? I'm tired of these 1 and 2 word answers.
Yes

mjbulls23
01-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Jason Kidd is a lock. He's one of the best point guards in the last 14 years. In that time, only Gary Payton was better.

and Stockton

guy
01-22-2008, 11:20 PM

Locks:
Shaquille O'Neal
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Allen Iverson
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Kobe Bryant

Good chances:
Tracy McGrady
Vince Carter
Jason Kidd

How is Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitizki locks, but Jason Kidd isn't?

White Chocolate
01-23-2008, 01:34 AM
and Stockton

My apologizes. The point is, Kidd is one of the best point guards in that time. He is certainly a lock for the Hall of Fame.

Silverbullit
01-23-2008, 04:03 AM
How is Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitizki locks, but Jason Kidd isn't?

MVP award makes HOF locks!

Solid Snake
01-23-2008, 04:31 AM
Another reason why he won't make it is the perception that he's a lazy player. That perception alone is enough to keep his ass out.

L.Kizzle
01-23-2008, 04:48 AM
Another reason why he won't make it is the perception that he's a lazy player. That perception alone is enough to keep his ass out.
Lazy players don't average 32 ppg.

Wozza_wade
01-23-2008, 05:34 AM
The 19 straight losses during his prime still stick out in mind.
so d-wade is f**ked then

Silverbullit
01-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Lazy players don't average 32 ppg.

How often did he do that?

L.Kizzle
01-23-2008, 06:11 AM
How often did he do that?
Only Wilt, Baylor, Barry, Kareem, Tiny Archibald, McAdoo, Gervin, Bernard King, MJ, AI and Kobe have ever averaged over 32.1 ppg. All of those guys are Hall of Famers or future Hall of Famers...

Created Player
01-23-2008, 06:27 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Kidd's career > Nash career

Geez, ISH disgusts me at times.

okayabc123
01-23-2008, 11:56 AM
It's going to be tough for TMac to get in to the HOF.

Advantages:

- Had a 30 PER in one of the season he was with Magic
- Avg. over 32 pts in a season
- The comeback against the Spurs

Disadvantages:

- Always injured
- No playoff success
- Lost 19 games in a row

I don't think he makes it on first or second ballot. I think he might get in just because of his popularity.

And yes, Kiddss career is far better than Nash's career.

Shepseskaf
01-23-2008, 12:52 PM
It's going to be tough for TMac to get in to the HOF
Agreed. Its a given that McGrady has HOF-level talent, but the perception that he's done much less than his natural ability would have allowed him to do -- fair or not -- is going to make voters think twice or three times before voting him in.

The 19 straight losses is the first thing that comes to my mind, and that fact that somehow he always came across (to me) as someone who played the game because he excelled at it, rather than someone who loved the game. I mean, can you imaging combining TMac's talent with Kobe's mentality? I guess you'd have Jordan, then.

He may get in the HOF, but I don't think he's a first-ballot entry, something he clearly has had the ability to be.

Richie2k6
01-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Stars shine in the regular season, superstars are crowned in the playoffs.

Is he a HOFer? Possibly.

A.M.G.
01-23-2008, 12:58 PM
He has never made it out of the first round of the playoffs. Is there any current Hall of Famer who that applies to?

Valliant13
01-23-2008, 01:38 PM
so d-wade is f**ked then

D-Wade has a Ring and finals MVP.
Surely you can see the difference.

John Starks
01-23-2008, 01:49 PM
He has never made it out of the first round of the playoffs. Is there any current Hall of Famer who that applies to?

Pete only made it into the playoffs 4 times. Only out of the 1st round once, with Boston, playing a little over 10mpg.

glidedrxlr22
01-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Not surprising that Laker fans or people with Laker avatars have said "no." Wow, big shocker.

Zak
01-23-2008, 02:02 PM
What do you mean? They are just as good this year as they were last year.... they will finish with probably the identical record of last year and get bounced in the first round. If he doesn't have an excuse this year then he didn't have one last year.

Edit: actually they are on pace to lose 10 games more than last season.

yea sorry, what i meant to say is the last few seasons with Houston , they have been a relatively good team so he doesn't have excuses like he did in Orlando.

guy
01-23-2008, 02:03 PM

Jason Kidd led his team to the Finals twice, plus he's just better then those two guys. He's a lock moreso then Nash and Dirk, but they are locks as well.

John Starks
01-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Jason Kidd led his team to the Finals twice, plus he's just better then those two guys. He's a lock moreso then Nash and Dirk, but they are locks as well.

Kidd is a lock. It is foolish to say otherwise.

poeticism707
01-23-2008, 02:09 PM

Kobe Bryant (a likely future HOF), as the leading man, has also never made it out of the first round (in addition to missing the playoffs once).

A.M.G.
01-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Kobe Bryant (a likely future HOF), as the leading man, has also never made it out of the first round (in addition to missing the playoffs once).
T-Mac isn't a one man show. He's been with Yao ****ing Ming for a while now, still hasn't made it out of the first round, and now the Rockets probably aren't even going to make the playoffs.

zadok
01-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Despite the negatives, if he has a couple of playoff "McGrady Saves The Day" type games in the playoffs, whether his team advances or not, He has a good chance to get in. What you do in the post season is not only more important, but also is seen by way more people, therefore more fame comes from outstanding playoff performances.

Da KO King
01-23-2008, 02:47 PM
McGrady is a Hall of Famer. He's not a first ballot guy but he will eventually get in.

John Starks
01-23-2008, 02:50 PM
T-Mac isn't a one man show. He's been with Yao ****ing Ming for a while now, still hasn't made it out of the first round, and now the Rockets probably aren't even going to make the playoffs.

This is a nonsense argument -- it pretends that Yao is this dominant center, which anyone who watched the jazz series or the Dallas series knows he is not.

It is true that T-Mac has not had any great playoff success, he also struggled mightily with injury and these two things may keep him out of the Hall....

...but he also has about 5 more prime years in the league. He is certainly on an HOF trajectory, but we'll see how it all ends for him.

L.Kizzle
01-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Here is something, Tracy McGrady is 28 years old, right. If he plays 5 more seasons, averages between 24-26 ppg, 4-6 boards, 4-6 assist, gets a couple more All-NBA teams and All-Star games, make the playoffs those seasons and (STILL) doesn't get out the first round, he'd still be a Hall of Famer.

The Hall doesn't kick out losers, and T-Mac will just be known as a players who couldn't get it done in the post season, like countless other Hall members.

5 K!DD dribbles
01-23-2008, 03:05 PM
When will T-Mac understand it's all about the playoffs. He should rest during the season and step it up during the playoffs. He got no experience.

A.M.G.
01-23-2008, 03:07 PM
This is a nonsense argument -- it pretends that Yao is this dominant center, which anyone who watched the jazz series or the Dallas series knows he is not.

It is true that T-Mac has not had any great playoff success, he also struggled mightily with injury and these two things may keep him out of the Hall....

...but he also has about 5 more prime years in the league. He is certainly on an HOF trajectory, but we'll see how it all ends for him.
So you need a dominant center to advance out of the first round of the playoffs? That is stark nonsense Mr. Starks. Are you arguing that Yao Ming is not a star player?

The guy I was responding to argued that Kobe as a one-man-show (which he has been for years) has not advanced out of the first round. This is true. But he has advanced out of the playoffs many times when he had a good team around him.

T-Mac, with a good team around him and a very legit running mate in Yao, has still not advanced out of the first round.

I guess part of this has to do with the fact that there are so many good teams in the Western Conference and the Rockets never get a high playofff seed, but if T-Mac was a true HoF he would have gotten his team through at least one of those playoff series, especially against the Jazz.

You know what's ironic? If T-Mac had stuck with Toronto for one more season, he would have advanced out of the first round. Toronto beat the Knicks that year in the first round, and came within one shot of beating the Sixers in the conference semifinals. T-Mac's presence might have allowed the Raps to advance to the ECF, and possibly even the Finals if they beat the Cassell/Allen Bucks. So basically, T-Mac is talented but cursed for ditching the Raptors.

vert48
01-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Does TMac make his teammates better?

John Starks
01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
So you need a dominant center to advance out of the first round of the playoffs? That is stark nonsense Mr. Starks. Are you arguing that Yao Ming is not a star player?.

You need 1) to be a better team or 2) a favorable matchup or 3) some good bounces to advance out of the first round. I don't think, in T-Mac's entire career, he was ever on the "better" team.

But more importantly, why is making it out of the first round the barometer? Suddenly getting to the 2nd round is greatness but 1st round isn't? Its nonsense...and even if I grant Yao is the best - Hou has not been a well-built team since Bobby Sura went down.

The guy I was responding to argued that Kobe as a one-man-show (which he has been for years) has not advanced out of the first round. This is true. But he has advanced out of the playoffs many times when he had a good team around him.

I'm not sure this is a Kobe v. T-Mac argument -- this is a T-Mac into the HOF argument, so unless Kobe is the minimum requirement, he does not really have a place here. The HOF is a touch inconsistent, but right now, assuming health, T-Mac is on a course for the HOF. He led the league in scoring, multiple all-star appearances. Advancing out of the 1st round will not drastically affect his chances -- a title would -- but makingit to the 2nd does not.

I guess part of this has to do with the fact that there are so many good teams in the Western Conference and the Rockets never get a high playofff seed, but if T-Mac was a true HoF he would have gotten his team through at least one of those playoff series, especially against the Jazz.

Many many HOF players have lost to other teams in the first round -- some worse than eventual conference finalists.

You know what's ironic? If T-Mac had stuck with Toronto for one more season, he would have advanced out of the first round. Toronto beat the Knicks that year in the first round, and came within one shot of beating the Sixers in the conference semifinals. T-Mac's presence might have allowed the Raps to advance to the ECF, and possibly even the Finals if they beat the Cassell/Allen Bucks. So basically, T-Mac is talented but cursed for ditching the Raptors.

..but maybe if he re-signs with Tor, he plays the rest of his career in VC's shadow and never accumulates the stats necessary for the Hall. never know.

A.M.G.
01-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Look, T-Mac doesn't win in the playoffs. If that doesn't matter to the HoF voters, fine.

All I asked when I came in here was if any players currently in the HoF NEVER won a playoff series. I believe the answer to my question was "no, HoFers rise to the occasion and gut out a series at least once in their careers".

Hey, once T-Mac advances to the second round, I'll leave him alone.

John Starks
01-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Look, T-Mac doesn't win in the playoffs. If that doesn't matter to the HoF voters, fine.

All I asked when I came in here was if any players currently in the HoF NEVER won a playoff series. I believe the answer to my question was "no, HoFers rise to the occasion and gut out a series at least once in their careers".

Maravich only made the playoffs 4 times and made it out of the first as an also-ran on the Celts playing 10mpg. I doubt the Hall will be more impressed with Mitch Richmond because he hooked up with the Lakers during a title run he had nothing to do with. And i'm sure in 2015, T-Mac can go to the knicks (that's right) and ride with them to a title.

Hey, once T-Mac advances to the second round, I'll leave him alone.

Its a fair and valid criticism, just not one that necessarily speaks to Hall voters. We'll see what happens when Richmond comes up for consideration.

A.M.G.
01-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Maravich only made the playoffs 4 times and made it out of the first as an also-ran on the Celts playing 10mpg. I doubt the Hall will be more impressed with Mitch Richmond because he hooked up with the Lakers during a title run he had nothing to do with. And i'm sure in 2015, T-Mac can go to the knicks (that's right) and ride with them to a title.

Its a fair and valid criticism, just not one that necessarily speaks to Hall voters. We'll see what happens when Richmond comes up for consideration.
So what you're telling me is that Pistol Pete made it out of the first round. And so did Mitch Richmond.
T-Mac still hasn't since I last posted.
I'm just joking, it's not reeeeally T-Mac's fault... just sorta.

White Chocolate
01-23-2008, 04:11 PM
As far as Mitch Richmond goes, he got out of the first round, but he also had better teammates(when healthy anyway). When with Golden State, the question was, would Chris Mullin stay healthy? He was injury prone for much of his career. In 1988-89, Mullin played in all 82 games, the Warriors get in as the 7th seed and swept the #2 Jazz. In 1989-90, Mullin stayed healthy(78 games), but Winston Garland played in only 51. They went 37-45 and missed the playoffs. In 1990-91, Mullin played in all 82 games, and the Warrios upset the #2 Spurs. Mullin was healthy for the most part when Mitch Richmond was there.

The Kings were a horrible team, and Richmond only made the playoffs once with them, and that was as an 8th seed with a 39-43 record.

The Wizards were even worse, and never won more than 29 games with Richmond there. His stats were very similar to T-mac, only with a bit less rebounds and assists. Richmond was a much better shooter from the outside, but the point is some guys are unfortunately, on teams that are horrible, have injury prone players, or both. Both men deserve to be in.

John Starks
01-23-2008, 04:47 PM
So what you're telling me is that Pistol Pete made it out of the first round. And so did Mitch Richmond.

so, before retirement, T-Mac will find a team to latch onto -- like pete -- et out of the first...and then, he'll be HOFG material. Makes sense.

A.M.G.
01-23-2008, 05:17 PM
so, before retirement, T-Mac will find a team to latch onto -- like pete -- et out of the first...and then, he'll be HOFG material. Makes sense.
:oldlol: Yep, that's probably what will happen. I just think that T-Mac can't carry a team, even a good team, to the second round. He's obviously a fantastically talented scorer, and if that's enough for the HoF, fine.

ImmortalD24
08-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Didn't want to make another thread.. Bump.
Well Kobe gets in after riding Shaq to 3 titles. I think T Mac will get in if he uses Yao to win some titles. Right now it's tough to say.

He is famous as hell and won't be forgotten so why not? 13 in 35 makes him a legend. I think he'll get in.:banana:
:biggums: