PDA

View Full Version : Pop is right about the Lakers-Grizzlies deal

hawkfan
02-08-2008, 11:08 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/02/08/popovich.grizzlies/index.html

I don't know if anyone posted this (I searched the first couple of pages and didn't see anything), but Pop is right about this deal from Memphis's point of view.

The Grizzles get cap space, two late first round picks, and a young prospect for a guy who is 20/10 every night.

An awful deal for the Grizzlies.

eliteballer
02-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Jealousy. Coming from the franchise that lucked into Duncan.

Phenomenon
02-08-2008, 11:10 PM
:oldlol: Please tell me you were being sarcastic, because what Pop said is the general consensus around the league.

eliteballer
02-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Anyone remember the Iverson deal? Philly got squat. Dont mention Dre...AI's more valuable than Gasol anyway.

Prancing_Tim
02-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Anyone remember the Iverson deal? Philly got squat. Dont mention Dre...AI's more valuable than Gasol anyway.

only in terms of money from jersey sales.

picc84
02-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Wow, Pop, thats pretty.....biitchmade, actually.

applejoe
02-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm loving the fact that there are haters that just can't stand fact that the Lakers are the greatest team in the history of basketball and Kobe is the most respected player in the league. The Lakers gave the rest of the league the past few years to compete, but now it's back to the usual Lakers domination :pimp:

konex
02-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Hate :oldlol:

applejoe
02-08-2008, 11:22 PM
THis is really no different from Jordan getting handed to him the greatest side kick of all time and the greatest rebounder of all time. Players of such caliber as Kobe, Jordan, Bird, and Magic deserve to have a great supporting cast so they can shine.

darabzarrabi
02-08-2008, 11:22 PM

Iverson wasnt playing at that point so his value was minimal...no one really even knew pau was so close to being shopped...its hard to get equal value when people know you HAVE to trade the star....anyways I think the nuggets are better with Miller running an offense and Melo being the primary scorer rather than what they have now anyways. The Iverson trade sorta stopped JRs growth too check out his numbers before the Iverson deal/suspension last year

Eldrunko247
02-08-2008, 11:33 PM
They should be investigated for tanking an entire season to land Duncan. Spurs need to stfu. They could only beat the Lakers when the Lakers dismantled their team.

Allstar24
02-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Damn he sounds bitter there...can't stand the fact that other teams are getting better in the West. Too bad he can't change anything now. Gasol is a Laker, get used to it :)

amfirst
02-08-2008, 11:39 PM
lol it's funny to see people scared. :oldlol:

NugzFan
02-08-2008, 11:41 PM
only in terms of money from jersey sales.

:oldlol: yeah, thats the only thing.

Kobe24
02-08-2008, 11:41 PM
I guess tanking for Duncan was fine.

NugzFan
02-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Iverson wasnt playing at that point so his value was minimal...no one really even knew pau was so close to being shopped...its hard to get equal value when people know you HAVE to trade the star....anyways I think the nuggets are better with Miller running an offense and Melo being the primary scorer rather than what they have now anyways. The Iverson trade sorta stopped JRs growth too check out his numbers before the Iverson deal/suspension last year

oh god this again? first jr stopped his own growth. 2nd, the nuggets were better with miller than AI? yeah...ok.

KB24
02-08-2008, 11:51 PM
I bet he would veto the gasol trade but gladly let the marion trade go through :rolleyes:

tophy7
02-08-2008, 11:54 PM
I guess tanking for Duncan was fine.

Spurs didn't tank.

Mango
02-09-2008, 12:00 AM
The league should also set up a committee and investigate teams (cough, Spurs 97, cough) purposely TANKING games in order to better position themselves for the NBA Draft.

I wonder what Popazit thinks about that?

Mango
02-09-2008, 12:01 AM
:oldlol: Pop with the mind games already...

What mind games are you talking about? Gasol is a Laker while the Spurs managed to land Damon Stoudamire. :oldlol:

Kobe24
02-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Spurs didn't tank.

Yes, they did.

tophy7
02-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Yes, they did.

Proof

ZHAKIDD532
02-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Proof
What the Spurs did was they just sat David Robinson to rest an injury that he could have come back from that season, but let it heal all the way through the summer, which isn't stupid, but they did kinda tank...

tophy7
02-09-2008, 12:23 AM
What the Spurs did was they just sat David Robinson to rest an injury that he could have come back from that season, but let it heal all the way through the summer, which isn't stupid, but they did kinda tank...

Robinson had 2 injuries in 97 (back and broken foot) they didn't intentionally rest him.

Dwight Shrute
02-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Yes, they did.

They tanked to the 3rd worst record.... in a draft that had Duncan and not a whole lot more (at the time)

SoCalMike
02-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Pop just playin the psyche game... and it was a lop sided trade by most standards. So what? Like there have not been lop sided trades before? I can think of quite a few, including the recent one with the Celtics and T-Wolves....

The other thing is that his comment could have been taken clearly out of context, so I am not sure I would be so quick to judge until we know exactly what was said.

Either way, its not a big deal to me.

:pimp:

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
02-09-2008, 12:34 AM
wasnt it pop's team who took a cheap shot at SUNS team???? I still think the suns would have won that serious

Dwight Shrute
02-09-2008, 12:37 AM
wasnt it pop's team who took a cheap shot at SUNS team???? I still think the suns would have won that serious
:roll: :roll:

gts
02-09-2008, 12:39 AM
they were talking tonight on the radio and brought up a real good point... last year the grizzlies were up for sale and for whatever reason the sale hit some snags... clearing the team of roster positions and big contracts this off season will make the team more atractive to new owners... he compared it to buying an empty house you can put all your own stuff in just how you like it compared to buying one with all the furniture, that may or may not be your taste...

SoCalMike
02-09-2008, 12:44 AM
they were talking tonight on the radio and brought up a real good point... last year the grizzlies were up for sale and for whatever reason the sale hit some snags... clearing the team of roster positions and big contracts this off season will make the team more atractive to new owners... he compared it to buying an empty house you can put all your own stuff in just how you like it compared to buying one with all the furniture, that may or may not be your taste...

Yes, you are right, but according to what I read, Grizz management is denying that they are prepping the team for sale. (which I don't believe them anyway, but just sayin)

TMac&Luther
02-09-2008, 12:44 AM
It is kinda on the whining side, but Pop is right........Memphis is nothing, but a bunch of dumbasses.

Gee golly, let's ship our best player to a team that already has arguably the best player in the league and a young promising big man, to form one hellava front court........inside our very own conference no less, so that we'll screw ourselves over and won't be able to compete anytime in the near future........Oh yeah, well also ask for nothing in return.

SoCalMike
02-09-2008, 12:47 AM
I still think that the logo has some form of influence over this deal, even if it was very very little and behind the scenes.

KINGD
02-09-2008, 12:47 AM
All these teams are so scared. I would be too.

ukplayer4
02-09-2008, 12:48 AM
it still amazes me that people consider the kg deal one sided in favor of boston...
kg is about to turn 32 and maybe has 3 years left at his current play level
al jefferson is what 21? and is an absoloute monster and is gonna be dominanting for atleast 12 years, hes a 22/12 player and is still improving, he will be a multiple allstar and is a fantastic building piece for a young team that need rebuilding- which is exactly what the wolves are, this deal made perfect sense for both teams and i think its very very fair, throw in gomes who is a very nice player. this was a great trade for both teams, where as the memphis/la trade.... kwame brown for pau gasol..:hammerhead: is just demented, forget the cap space and picks- which are gonna be low, was that really all pau gasol was worth? its very very suspect

TMac&Luther
02-09-2008, 12:50 AM
All these teams are so scared. I would be too.

Actually I'm not really scared, I just think it was a stupid deal that didn't make any sense.

Houston is one of the few teams that have a decent front court that'll atleast be able to compete against LA without getting blown out of the water........however, there's not too many teams that can say that and I'm sure those teams are scared sh!tless.

Houston does need to get a shooter like Mike Miller to tie up all the loose ends in the backcourt though.

omarnyc
02-09-2008, 12:53 AM
it still amazes me that people consider the kg deal one sided in favor of boston...
kg is about to turn 32 and maybe has 3 years left at his current play level
al jefferson is what 21? and is an absoloute monster and is gonna be dominanting for atleast 12 years, hes a 22/12 player and is still improving, he will be a multiple allstar and is a fantastic building piece for a young team that need rebuilding- which is exactly what the wolves are, this deal made perfect sense for both teams and i think its very very fair, throw in gomes who is a very nice player. this was a great trade for both teams, where as the memphis/la trade.... kwame brown for pau gasol..:hammerhead: is just demented, forget the cap space and picks- which are gonna be low, was that really all pau gasol was worth? its very very suspect

i agree, boston gave up alot for kg, the lakers gave up nothing. even tho i hate the spurs and think they are a bunch of crybabies, i would be a lil salty about this suspect trade if i was an oposing team in the west.

Dwight Shrute
02-09-2008, 12:54 AM
I wonder if these same Laker fans would be tooting their own horns, if they traded Kobe to the Spurs for Oberto, Finley and 3 first rounders?

KINGD
02-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Houston? LOl. Healthy Lakers would destroy Houston in the playoffs.

lakers4ever
02-09-2008, 01:13 AM
You have got to be kidding. A trade for basically three players and two number one draft picks is not a bad, unfair deal. Kwame Brown is a serviceable backup and Crittenton is likely going to be a star point guard down the road. The younger Gasol has potential to be better than his brother. People need to get real here. It didn't do anything for Memphis this year, but in the future it is potentially very good for them. They will get two round 1 draft picks (one low, one not so low) twice. That is not a bad trade. The Lakers got one player and a a second round draft choice for all of that.

NBABaller
02-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Popazit is just jealous, he can't make a trade because he doesn't have enough assets.

TMac&Luther
02-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Houston? LOl. Healthy Lakers would destroy Houston in the playoffs.

Hopefully we'll see you then......Houston matches up well with LA. We have Yao and are very deep at the 4 spot. We can put Scola on Gasol, Yao on Bynum, and if you also want to throw Odom out there, we can throw Landry on him......plus Hayes is always good for 6 fouls and plays tough defense. Hell if things got completely out of hand we still have a well rested Mutombo who can still play good D to throw at one of your bigs.

Lakers would be favorites in the series, but they wouldn't "destroy" Houston.......Yao always lays the wood to LA. Houston just needs to find a shooter to spead the floor and they'll be okay.

Lakers13
02-09-2008, 01:29 AM
POP is a hater. Just like we all hated on the Spurs when they got Duncan. Nobody can stand good talent going to a rival team.

picc84
02-09-2008, 01:30 AM
You gotta wonder how kwame feels about all this, with every coach and player and gm in the league expressing outrage unheard of over a trade.

Actually, you dont. He can go to hell.

Lakers13
02-09-2008, 01:31 AM
You gotta wonder how kwame feels about all this, with every coach and player and gm in the league expressing outrage unheard of over a trade.

Actually, you dont. He can go to hell.

Hes probably drinking away his sorrows.

KINGD
02-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Did'nt Kobe have 2 different 50+ pt games against Houston last year? Oh well whatever.

TMac&Luther
02-09-2008, 01:42 AM
Did'nt Kobe have 2 different 50+ pt games against Houston last year? Oh well whatever.

Uh, no......the only game y'all won this year was the game where Tmac got taken out right after the first quarter when he ****ed up the ligament in his elbow..........and y'all only won the game by 3 points.

This was also back when Houston was playing like dogsh!t and weren't comfortable in the system like they are now.

amfirst
02-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Bynum is going to give Yao problems, too atheletic and fast. Plus, Bynum developed into a really good shot blocker, so Yao is gonna have probs cause Bynum is not a small player like the rest of the NBA.

Lakers13
02-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Uh, no......the only game y'all won this year was the game where Tmac got taken out right after the first quarter when he ****ed up the ligament in his elbow..........and y'all only won the game by 3 points.

This was also back when Houston was playing like dogsh!t and weren't comfortable in the system like they are now.

Kinda how like the Lakers were back then. It would be interesting to see how theyd match up in the near future now that both teams have got thier groove going.

TMac&Luther
02-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Bynum is going to give Yao problems, too atheletic and fast. Plus, Bynum developed into a really good shot blocker, so Yao is gonna have probs cause Bynum is not a small player like the rest of the NBA.

I guess that's why Yao has no problem outplaying bigs like Amare and D. Howard.........they're just too athletic and fast for him.

Yao Ming plays better against other bigs, it's when teams crash him with midgets he has problems.....also because Refs don't know how to officiate him when he's matched up against a smaller player. I like it when Yao goes up against another big, it's a better matchup for him.

TMac&Luther
02-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Kinda how like the Lakers were back then. It would be interesting to see how theyd match up in the near future now that both teams have got thier groove going.

It would be interesting, like I said, y'all would be the obvious favorites, but your not going to "destroy Houston" like the other poster tried to imply.

Lakers13
02-09-2008, 01:53 AM
It would be interesting, like I said, y'all would be the obvious favorites, but your not going to "destroy Houston" like the other poster tried to imply.

Nah, we always play close games with you guys. Its hard to put a team away for good when you have Tmac healthy and Yao. Id like to see you guys get that 8 spot so you can knock PHX out. :D

TMac&Luther
02-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Id like to see you guys get that 8 spot so you can knock PHX out. :D

Actually, I'm excited about the Shaq trade, because why I can see why they felt the need to do it, because of the move y'all made and the trouble they have in the half court vs. SA...

Shawn Marion was always the guy that gave Houston fits. Yao struggled against the Amare/Marion pick n rolls. Marion was just a complete mismatch vs Houston, because he was so versatile and could play so many positions they didn't have anybody to really matchup against him.

Now that they have Shaq, who's a much better matchup for Yao, we don't have to worry about Shawn Marion.

hawkfan
02-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Kwame Brown is awful.

Why can't you guys realize that?

I can't believe the Grizzlies couldn't do better than what they got from the Lakers.

While great from the Laker point of view, just awful from the Memphis point of view.

Kebab Stall
02-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Kwame Brown is awful.

Why can't you guys realize that?

I can't believe the Grizzlies couldn't do better than what they got from the Lakers.

While great from the Laker point of view, just awful from the Memphis point of view.
Yes, it is an absolutly terrible trade, but you have to realise that we weren't going anywhere with Gasol. We had to trade him, he didn't fit in with the style of play that the Grizzlies wanted to run, though he tried his best and it showed. But right now, I am glad Gasol has gone to a contender, it's what he's wanted and he has now got that.

Brown is an expirer and after this season, we will have a lot of cap space and hopefully Memphis go after someone big in the free agency.

Heretik32
02-09-2008, 09:00 AM
That trade is like the bratty kid losing at a game of cards and just pushing the table over in order to spoil it for everybody. The Lakers were lucky enough to be fastest picking up the loose change on the floor.

Da KO King
02-09-2008, 09:00 AM
It's only a terrible trade if you really think highly of Pau Gasol but don't think the Grizzlies will land any quality pieces through free agency or the draft.

R.I.P.
02-09-2008, 09:46 AM
They were offered Thomas, Nocioni and a pick, and they took Kwame. The guy just wants to sell the team and cut pay-roll. They don

gigantes
02-09-2008, 10:57 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/02/08/popovich.grizzlies/index.html

I don't know if anyone posted this (I searched the first couple of pages and didn't see anything), but Pop is right about this deal from Memphis's point of view.

The Grizzles get cap space, two late first round picks, and a young prospect for a guy who is 20/10 every night.

An awful deal for the Grizzlies.
the grizzlies weren't going anywhere with gasol and they needed to be made more financially attractive to the next buyer.

good trade for the grizzlies. not a great trade, but a good trade.

EricForman
02-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Why can't we mention Dre?

Oh because he's actually an above average starter and mentioning him would thus make your point invalid?

Not to mention the Sixers geled better with Dre than AI immediately.

bagelred
02-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Well, someone should investigate that Scola trade. Didn't Spurs give him away for nothing?

Now that Gasol and Shaq are in West, bet Spurs would love to have Scola back.

Although the Gasol trade is a steal, I wouldn't say it needs to be investigated, because you could make a case for Grizz, although a weak one......

Also, since the league has got to be thrilled with the Lakers getting better, they would never investigate. If it was New York and not Memphis, maybe they would....

RAPSCANWIN
02-09-2008, 01:05 PM
This is no worse than the recent AI and Vince Carter trades. Its just sour grapes on Pops part. Bad trades sometimes happen. Although im sure that the Grizzlies got what they were looking for in it. They didnt have a gun to there head.

kobesabi
02-10-2008, 04:26 AM
Popovich is a selfish classless unprofessional cochroach. The owner of Gritz didn't have problem with it, why does Popvich whine about it? It's ok for his team to trade to win but not others?

There need to a be committee regulating these selfish bastard on what horsesh!t he can dump to the public. I nominate myself to be one so I can veto what crap he can dump to the media.

MarloStanfield
02-10-2008, 04:41 AM
Why can't we mention Dre?

Oh because he's actually an above average starter and mentioning him would thus make your point invalid?

Not to mention the Sixers geled better with Dre than AI immediately.

Yeah pretty much no one living outside of Philly knows that the Sixers had a better record without Iverson after they traded him last year.

Not to mention they've looked promising for a young team and have been able to let their young guys develop and Andre Miller has been a focal part of that.

I believe that one of the draft picks was used on Jason Smith who looks like a keeper as well.

Diesel J
02-10-2008, 04:55 AM
It is kinda on the whining side, but Pop is right........Memphis is nothing, but a bunch of dumbasses.

Gee golly, let's ship our best player to a team that already has arguably the best player in the league and a young promising big man, to form one hellava front court........inside our very own conference no less, so that we'll screw ourselves over and won't be able to compete anytime in the near future........Oh yeah, well also ask for nothing in return.

:oldlol:

loot
02-10-2008, 05:16 AM
wow...sensitive laker fans here...

kobedaman24
02-10-2008, 05:23 AM
wow...sensitive laker fans here...
haha, what else did you expect?

crisoner
02-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Pop is a hater....all I have to say.

MarloStanfield
02-10-2008, 05:32 AM
I don't know why Lakers fans are upset with Pop's comments. He basically said what every GM or front office person in the league outside of Memphis believes. If anything he was complementing LA for pulling off a shrewd move.

Sharas
02-10-2008, 05:39 AM
wonder why all the posters that call pop a "hater" have kobe or lakers in their avatars?

is he bitter that his rival got better for almost nothing? probably. but does that make his words any less true? it's not like other GMs think different. and whatever grizzlies owner might say, yes, it is a firesale.

kobesabi
02-10-2008, 06:51 AM
wonder why all the posters that call pop a "hater" have kobe or lakers in their avatars?

What'd you expect? He's whining about us...who do you think would answer back?

is he bitter that his rival got better for almost nothing? probably. but does that make his words any less true? it's not like other GMs think different. and whatever grizzlies owner might say, yes, it is a firesale.
Literally nothing? Pop was speculating. Are other GMs absolute certain that Grizzlies gain nothing out of it? Or just guessing? It's like Grizzlies getting Durant & Oden twice within a few years.

Who knows maybe other GMs been pissing Heisley off for something so he don't give a rat ass whatever they think. Maybe he felt like he owe it to Pau for years of service and send him to a team where Pau can get a ring.

PS: Popoldvitch is a hater

Y2Gezee
02-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Sorry, but Im not seeing how this trade is ridiculous. Not at all. There may have been things that teams could have done to get him, but they obviously didn't.

I think its better for them than Nocioni and Thomas. I mean when you rebuild why bring in a big contract that was just signed this summer in Nocioni? With this deal they get picks, 9 mil off the books this summer, and a young promising player that they could make some good deals with. There's nothing wrong with cutting payroll when you're going no where.

Popovich must not know the entire deal or he's just scared that LA surpassed him.

johndough
02-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Well, someone should investigate that Scola trade. Didn't Spurs give him away for nothing?

Now that Gasol and Shaq are in West, bet Spurs would love to have Scola back.

Although the Gasol trade is a steal, I wouldn't say it needs to be investigated, because you could make a case for Grizz, although a weak one......

Also, since the league has got to be thrilled with the Lakers getting better, they would never investigate. If it was New York and not Memphis, maybe they would....

Of course it needs to be investigated!

With all that's come to the surface in commercial sports in the last while? And I'm not talking about steroids.

SoCalMike
02-10-2008, 08:29 AM
No crying over spilled milk now!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w243/noellemc8/milk.jpg

kobesabi
02-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Pop-an-itch got scared because the west is now amped up even more and his squad is tight squeezed and couldn't keep up therefore maybe fearing that his team is about to be de-throned by the many qualified teams in the west.

Would he still vote no, if Pau was going to his squad instead?

Or had Pau going to the east, would he vote no also? Would he even care? I don't think so.

Pop-a-biatch is just scared cuz Tony Parker is injured and that his team is about dethrone since it couldn't keep up all with the race in the West.

gts
02-11-2008, 12:06 AM
funny i don't remember pops complaining when garnett went to the east and left his conference... odd how he only complains when a conference rival pulls off a good trade

w00terz
02-11-2008, 12:12 AM

:no: JR stopped JRs growth. He is quite possibly the dumbest player in the NBA right now. He's a 3-point shooting machine, he makes piss-poor decisions, he plays out of control, he is an equally idiotic human-being off the court as well. His poor decisions resulted in the death of his friend, he should commit suicide.

Btw, I enjoy watching JR play.

G-train
02-11-2008, 12:13 AM
^^T-Wolves got alot of young talent in that Boston trade.

Chris Wallace is the worst GM in NBA history. If you can bare it, look at all his transactions.

IMO he has been employed by the Grizz to clear house for a sale and wear the flack for it. Because nobody would employ him based on his history.

Pop was a bit dramatic about it but he makes a good point - that trade is horribly unbalanced.

And for those you say they threw the season before they got Duncan, I question whether you watched bball at the time. They did anything but. In fact they signed Dominique to stay competitive and won the lottery against the odds.

They only won 20 games, but they simply had little personnel as D-ROb played 6 games and Elliot missed half the season.

kobesabi
02-11-2008, 12:17 AM

Chris Wallace is the worst GM in NBA history. If you can bare it, look at all his transactions.

IMO he has been employed by the Grizz to clear house for a sale and wear the flack for it. Because nobody would employ him based on his history.
Well, the owner has said in his post-trade interview that if anyone has a problem with it, talk to him, not Wallace. Obviously, it was decided by the owner.

kobesabi
02-11-2008, 12:18 AM
funny i don't remember pops complaining when garnett went to the east and left his conference... odd how he only complains when a conference rival pulls off a good trade
Yea! Co-sign!

G-train
02-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Yea! Co-sign!

KG for Jefferson > Pau for Kwame

Eldrunko247
02-11-2008, 12:21 AM

Pop was a bit dramatic about it but he makes a good point - that trade is horribly unbalanced.

And for those you say they threw the season before they got Duncan, I question whether you watched bball at the time. They did anything but. In fact they signed Dominique to stay competitive and won the lottery against the odds.
Charles Barkley even called them out on it and he played against them that year.

gts
02-11-2008, 12:23 AM
KG for Jefferson > Pau for Kwame the wolves wanted a player they could use... the grizz wanted expiring contracts, each team got what they wanted..it's not always about talent bro..some moves are made strictly on a financial basis
jefferson 2.4 million... kwame 9 million expiring

kobesabi
02-11-2008, 12:24 AM
KG for Jefferson > Pau for Kwame
But we don't have Jefferson. We trade with what we got. Would Jefferson give the cap relief that Kwame would that Gritz are seeking?

G-train
02-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Charles Barkley even called them out on it and he played against them that year.

I've heard Charles call out alot of people, and he was proven wrong more than he is right.

If they were tanking, why did they sign an aging star to score for them?

G-train
02-11-2008, 12:30 AM
the wolves wanted a player they could use... the grizz wanted expiring contracts, each team got what they wanted..it's not always about talent bro..some moves are made strictly on a financial basis
jefferson 2.4 million... kwame 9 million expiring

Which is what Pop was saying. They lost Gasol for expiring contracts, which is heavily unbalanced towards the Lakers.
$11 mil in expiring contracts is not as valuable as Pau Gasol. Not even close. Thats not even Ben Gordon.

Garnett for Jefferson and others makes sense. They wanted young talent, and they got a star in Jefferson. Why would pop complain about that being unbalanced?

Pop is saying if common sense prevailed, that trade wouldnt go through.
Why do you want expiring contracts? To sign a good player. Why not trade for a good player straight up?

gts
02-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Which is what Pop was saying. They lost Gasol expiring contracts, which is heavily unbalanced towards the Lakers.
$11 mil in expiring contracts is not as valuable as Pau Gasol. Not even close. Thats not even Ben Gordon.

Garnett for Jefferson and others makes sense. They wanted young talent, and they got a star in Jefferson. Why would pop complain about that being unbalanced? expiring contracts are more valuble than talent when your looking to get below the cap... how hard is this for you to understand... not all trades are a talent swap, some trades are made for one reason and one reason alone..to get the team under the salary cap so they can make a move on a free agent who fits their needs or as you mentioned to make the team more atractive for sale... this is a business and not all trades are made to make the team better on the floor at the time of the trade, some moves are made with an eye towards the long term future of the team

Why do you want expiring contracts? To sign a good player. Why not trade for a good player straight up?if you don't understand the value of a huge expiring contract in the NBA you probably shouldn't be commenting on trades in general

kobesabi
02-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Which is what Pop was saying. They lost Gasol for expiring contracts, which is heavily unbalanced towards the Lakers.

Garnett for Jefferson and others makes sense. They wanted young talent, and they got a star in Jefferson. Why would pop complain about that being unbalanced?

Why do you want expiring contracts? To sign a good player. Why not trade for a good player straight up?
By what marginal difference? And to whom point of view is the "correct" or "balanced"? How do define "balance"? The owner's view? Other GMs view? The fans? Who's doing the signing? Should other GMs have any right to interfere even? They can try to top that if want, if not then they should just STFU.

G-train
02-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Name 5 other trades in NBA history where an established star player was traded for salary cap flexibility alone.
Now if you do that, how many worked out for the team getting the cap room?

I understand business, and an established star for cap room makes little sense.
Your guaranteed nothing but lower expenses with cap room.

Walton_04
02-11-2008, 12:41 AM
People will be quiet once Javaris becomes a solid PG. He's not a Kwame for sure.
The kid could've been drafted ahead of other guards.

Eldrunko247
02-11-2008, 12:53 AM

Listen here little guy. There's this thing called business and what they were doing was called a "salary dump". Vince Carter got traded for scrubs+picks. Baron Davis got traded for "Speedy Claxton+picks". You see a trend here? The Grzzlies who were losing roughly 20 mil per year were not obligated to take back "another player of equal or similar value" and his contract. Pau makes about 15 mil a year or close to that. A number that closely resembles how much they were losing each year. Makes a lot of sense to you little guy? The more they suck the better the their chances are in the lotto. Let's say they get the first pick in the lotto next year. Wouldn't that make the team a lot more attractive to a potential buyer than a team losing 20 mil a year? F.uck Pop, his team tanked to get Duncan. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

G-train
02-11-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm not going to be able to have a decent debate with a poster with a user name 'el drunko 24/7'

Eldrunko247
02-11-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm not going to be able to have a decent debate with a poster with a user name 'el drunko 24/7'
Coming from a guy named "G-Train" who expected a losing franchise to take on another big contract when they had no chance of winning anyhow. Have you even listened to Wallace's interview? So the San Antonio Tankers have a problem with it? Tough!

amfirst
02-11-2008, 01:35 AM
I think everybody need to lay off the trade. If u want to be a true champion u need to go through the best and right it's prob the Celtics, Spurs, and possible the Laks.

RajonKGcelts
02-11-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm loving the fact that there are haters that just can't stand fact that the Lakers are the greatest team in the history of basketball and Kobe is the most respected player in the league. The Lakers gave the rest of the league the past few years to compete, but now it's back to the usual Lakers domination :pimp:

NBA History....

Celtics>Lakers thank you verymuch

amfirst
02-11-2008, 02:05 AM
NBA History....

Not for long. A young player name Bynum from the Laks will start dominating the NBA in a few years, and he's surrounded by talented players.

Eldrunko247
02-11-2008, 02:06 AM
NBA History....

C's were dead for about 20 yrs. Finally decide to wake up?

TMac&Luther
02-11-2008, 02:20 AM

:roll:

Mr Feeny
08-03-2014, 04:32 AM
Fully agree with Pop. It sounds to me like he would have been one of the many owners who opposed the ill-fated Chris Paul trade 3 years later. It's interesting and refreshing seeing someone so vigorous in his postion, so public in his disapproval of lopsided trades.

Relinquish
08-03-2014, 04:37 AM
Fully agree with Pop. It sounds to me like he would have been one of the many owners who opposed the ill-fated Chris Paul trade 3 years later. It's interesting and refreshing seeing someone so vigorous in his postion, so public in his disapproval of lopsided trades.

That trade wasn't even that lopsided, if anything it went in Memphis' favor. That said, I'm not sure who those picks were used on.

Myth
08-03-2014, 04:48 AM
That trade wasn't even that lopsided, if anything it went in Memphis' favor. That said, I'm not sure who those picks were used on.

:facepalm

Just because Pau is irrelevant now doesn't mean Grizzlies made out better.

Mr Feeny
08-03-2014, 04:49 AM

Wow.

BlackWhiteGreen
08-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Some gems in this thread:

Not for long. A young player name Bynum from the Laks will start dominating the NBA in a few years

People will be quiet once Javaris becomes a solid PG.

Crittenton is likely going to be a star point guard down the road.

Bandito
08-03-2014, 07:11 AM
Some gems in this thread:
:lol

GimmeThat
08-03-2014, 08:24 AM

I don't want to overrate Duncan. but the Spurs have finally started paying their players some money with Parker huh.

I mean when they really have to start competing in free agency, I hope they will only look for fair value trades and never take advantage of another franchise.

who knows, they are a great great great franchise, maybe they'll just make me eat my words and continuously use late round picks and build them into contenders.

the post Stockton/Malone Sloan Era was quite competitive and exciting though