PDA

View Full Version : Save The Sonics

markymark
02-29-2008, 05:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080228&sportCat=nba

I'm not sure if this has been posted already... It's pretty lenghty but it's a must read. Nearly brought tears to my eyes lol

JordanL
02-29-2008, 08:30 AM
I don't think a sports column has ever made me cry before...

If they do protest the Blazer v. Sonics ESPN game at the end of the season, I will drive the three hours from Portland to join them, even if I can't get a ticket, (which will be probable in a city as fervent as Seattle).

I remember holding my bladder while watching the '96 Finals, because I didn't want to miss the moment that the Sonics broke the Bulls if it came... and I'm a die hard Blazer fan.

I don't think I really understood exactly what was happening to the Sonics. But I don't know if I'll ever be able to watch the NBA without anger should the SOnics move, which is a shame since the Blazers have a chance at a championship soon.

RainierBeachPoet
02-29-2008, 06:53 PM
i hope ALL ish-ers read this article
:cheers: thanks for the thread

these are the key questions from the article:

How could David Stern allow a team that won a championship while he was working

for the league to move? How could he claim to care about the league and let that happen?

How could he allow one of the 30 NBA fan bases to be extorted? How is this OK?

more later

Mathius
03-01-2008, 12:21 AM

for the league to move? How could he claim to care about the league and let that happen?

more later

You can't ask these questions on ISH, RBP. These idiots will just respond with, "It's a business", or "David Stern doesn't have the power to stop a move, it's not his job". bleah bleah bleah

These guys don't understand what it's like to spend over a decade of your life following a team, and then having it taken away with nothing you can do about it.

They can't understand that kind of loyalty, or the betrayal that takes place when an owner moves a team.

I've said it before, the NBA can block this move if they really wanted to. The Supersonics are a registered trademark of the NBA, and the players are members of the NBA players association. Without those two things, the owners are the owners of nothing.

Mathius

Showtime
03-01-2008, 12:44 AM
It sucks from the fans' perspective, and in a perfect world, they wouldn't leave. But the team was sold, a team that isn't owned by the fans, to people who paid for it and can do whatever they want to with it. Do I like that? No, but it doesn't change the fact that if Bennett wants to move the team, the only thing stopping him is a lease agreement. I understand the connection a fanbase has to a franchise, and I understand the feeling of community, and how the team represents the area, so when they win, the fans feel they won too. Comming from a Kings fan, where there are no other pro teams in Sac, I know this feeling better than most. However, fan feelings, history, and loyalty aren't deciding factors in Bennett's decision. Does that suck? Hell yes, that sucks balls. But it is what it is, and there's nothing people can do about it.

What amazes me, is reading that piece, that only TWO people showed up to protest the sale of the team from seattle based owners to OKC based owners. I guess writing an e-mail to an ESPN columnist was easier than showing up with a sign.

SourGrapes
03-01-2008, 12:49 AM
i think its absurd that a great city like seattle might lose a bball team while awful places like orlando and possibly oklahoma city ahve or might get teams. add dallas to that list. all i think of with dallas is jfk getting murdered. and oklahoma city you think timothy mcveigh. seattle is the type of city the nba should showcase, not abandon.

El Kabong
03-01-2008, 12:51 AM
It wouldn't be as bad if the owner hadn't said they had no intentions of moving the team when he bought it. Such a dickish thing to do.

kidachi
03-01-2008, 01:01 AM
good read.

save the sonics!

but if ever, where would they move?

markymark
03-01-2008, 02:15 AM
good read.

save the sonics!

but if ever, where would they move?

oklahoma... got nothing against the people there, but the supes belong in only one place....

SourGrapes
03-01-2008, 02:33 AM
oklahoma... got nothing against the people there, but the supes belong in only one place....

noooooooooooooo!

markymark
03-01-2008, 05:22 AM
one of the guys posted this vid of kemp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ALdNck0f2o

damnnnnn what a BEAST. he would destroy ANY big man in the league today. he had the power of dwight with a LOT more athleticism

:bowdown: the reignman

Eldrunko247
03-01-2008, 05:30 AM
who cares. if the city doesn't want to fund a new building like other cities have too bad for Seattle

JordanL
03-01-2008, 05:38 AM
who cares. if the city doesn't want to fund a new building like other cities have too bad for Seattle

Bennet asked for a $500 million arena, 3 miles outside of the city, when KeyArena was built less than 13 years ago, and the city has offered a $200 million renovation deal if it was co-funded.

To put those numbers in perspective, the cost of Seattles 50,000+ seat baseball stadium with a retractable roof was less than $100 million. That Bennet demanded a half billion dollar arena miles from anywhere is beyond rediculous.

It'd be like if the owners of the Lakers demanded that the city of Los Angeles pay for a billion dollar arena in Ventura or they were going to take the team to Boise.

Manute for Ever!
03-01-2008, 07:09 AM

You don't think that this might set some sort of precedence where owners will expect the city to fund their investment? That would lead to cities essentially "renting" teams, they will skip town at the end of each arena lease unless a new one is funded. "Who cares"? Anyone with at least half a brain, that's who.

Manute for Ever!
03-01-2008, 07:12 AM
The email that put it all in perspective the most for me? The simplest one:

THE HISTORY OF THE SUPES
City: Seattle
Name: Dan

Spencer Haywood, Lenny Wilkens, "The Human Eraser" Marvin Webster, "Shake & Bake" Archie Clark, Jim Fox, Dennis Johnson, Lonnie Shelton, Paul Silas, "Downtown" Freddie Brown, Slick Watts, Jack Sikma, Gus Williams, Tom Chambers, Nate McMillan, Xavier McDaniel, Shawn Kemp, Sam Perkins, Gary Payton, Ray Allen ... this sucks.

kurupt
03-01-2008, 11:30 AM

more later

who cares if they won a championship or not

THEYVE BEEN THERE FOR 41 YEARS!!!!

im a die hard nba fan, and this would be a travesty, how can a team be with a city for 40 years and all of a sudden move, its too frustrating i cant even articulate how i feel, just horrible absolutely horrible

i think there should be a nationwide protest, at all nba arenas during the last game of the season

DeuceWallaces
03-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I read his series on the Sonics this week, and I can't believe what's happening to them. Why do the fans need to pay for another arena they don't even need in teh first place?

Bill Davidson built the Palace in '88 with ALL HIS OWN money, and it is still an excellent arena.

DJ Leon Smith
03-01-2008, 01:17 PM
As a Sonics fan, I wrote a blog post for Jeff articulating how I feel as a long-time fan who isn't from Seattle. You can find it here - http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=585

RainierBeachPoet
03-01-2008, 11:53 PM
You can't ask these questions on ISH, RBP. These idiots will just respond with, "It's a business", or "David Stern doesn't have the power to stop a move, it's not his job". bleah bleah bleah

These guys don't understand what it's like to spend over a decade of your life following a team, and then having it taken away with nothing you can do about it.

They can't understand that kind of loyalty, or the betrayal that takes place when an owner moves a team.

I've said it before, the NBA can block this move if they really wanted to. The Supersonics are a registered trademark of the NBA, and the players are members of the NBA players association. Without those two things, the owners are the owners of nothing.

Mathius

thanks man. ALL support is appreciated

the questions must be asked-- it doesnt mean i will agree with some responses. besides the local seattle papers, this is the most influential article on the move that has come out

i have really been following the sonics since the 1970-1971 season--- that is 37 years!

unfortunately, the owners just look out for their own self interests and will more than likely vote for the move if it comes to that

i believe mark cuban has publically given his support against a move though

bleedinpurpleTwo
03-02-2008, 12:06 AM
first of all, useless crappy article by a horrible sports reporter. He had nothing substantive to say, then presented a bunch of letters from fans.

second, I'm having a little trouble feeling sorry for Seattle. If I understand correctly, the good people of WA voted against new stadium funding...not once but twice. Stadium funding is very commonly a public-private venture. The City/State officials sent two different proposals to a vote. Both were shot down.

JordanL
03-02-2008, 12:16 AM
If I understand correctly, the good people of WA voted against new stadium funding...not once but twice. Stadium funding is very commonly a public-private venture. The City/State officials sent two different proposals to a vote. Both were shot down.

You don't understand it correctly. Let my quote myself:

Bennet asked for a $500 million arena, 3 miles outside of the city, when KeyArena was built less than 13 years ago, and the city has offered a $200 million renovation deal if it was co-funded.

To put those numbers in perspective, the cost of Seattles 50,000+ seat baseball stadium with a retractable roof was less than $100 million. That Bennet demanded a half billion dollar arena miles from anywhere is beyond rediculous.

It'd be like if the owners of the Lakers demanded that the city of Los Angeles pay for a billion dollar arena in Ventura or they were going to take the team to Boise.

Weez65
03-02-2008, 04:18 AM
first of all, useless crappy article by a horrible sports reporter. He had nothing substantive to say, then presented a bunch of letters from fans.

second, I'm having a little trouble feeling sorry for Seattle. If I understand correctly, the good people of WA voted against new stadium funding...not once but twice. Stadium funding is very commonly a public-private venture. The City/State officials sent two different proposals to a vote. Both were shot down.

Yeah, a few other facts for you. Seattle has funded with tax payer dollars 2 other state of the art facilities in recent years. enoughs enough. and as beautiful as both the other two stadiums turned out, both state of the art, neither even approached 550 mill.

When the list of demands are closely studied, its very obvious that Clay Bennet designed his proposal in such a way that he KNEW Seattle could do nothing but turn it down. Its been his plan to move the team right from the start. This is not just sports paranoia talking. Someone in his own buyers group let this slip to a media person, actually stated that it has always been there plan all along, and then had to back peddle later when he was blasted behind closed doors for having a big mouth.

There are so many lvls to the unfairness of whats happening that u really cant see it unless u get your nose into it and study whats happening. In a nutshell...

1.) A team with a long standing history in the nba that has always been self sufficient and well suported is being moved for no other good reason than a owners " because i want to." explanation.

2.) The market the owner wants to move the team to is a MUCH smaller market ( statisticly proven. ) So given 1 and 2, how is this a sound descision based on good business?

3.) Even though the city of Seattle has already twice had its arm twisted into funding new stadiums ( 3 times if you count the less than 13 year old 200 million dollar renovation to the Sonics current arena.) Clay Bennet decided that it didnt matterthat his teams arena is still one of the newer buildings in the league. He demanded that not just a new one be built, but an extremely expensive one even by todays pro sport standards. AND he had to have it built in a very specific spot that made no sense to ANYONE but himself. Why? Because it was never his intention to stay in seattle. he wanted the proposal to be shot down.

4.) We have a commish who not only didnt stand up and defend one of the teams in his league when it was being hijacked, he didnt stand up for a 40 year NBA city as it was being CONNED by a new owner who publicly stated that he had NO intention of ever moveing the team, he instead JUMPED ON BOARD with the new ownership and HELPED twist Seattles arm that much harder. Its interesting that we now hear that David Stern has been friends with Clay Bennete for years.

So...we have a NBA city with fans that have always suported there team. A team that has never "struggled" to make it financially in the NBA, that is being moved to a much smaller market by a owner who promised he would never move the team. In a effort to appear to make every effort to keep the team in Seattle he presents the city with a "plan" to keep the team in Seattle. The plan however is revealed to be ludicrous at best. Someone in the new ownership group lets it slip that the plan had ALWAYS been to move the Sonics right from the start. The NBA commissioner plays the part of accomplice and actually AIDS at all turns the efforts of the new ownership to move the team. Move it from a already sucsessfull market.

I know this was very long, but i just wanted to make some kind of effort for the people out there that dont know some of the more ridiculous details of this whole thing.

Pure and simple, Seattle is being ripped off. Its theft and it shoudlnt be allowed.

To the NBA, the moment the Soops leave seattle, the NBA dies to me forever. I wont watch anymore games including playoff basketball, i wont buy NBA merchandise. And I will forever trash the league in any basketball discussion that arises around me. Im quite sure im not the only person that feels this way. David Stern, for every fan the nba gains in OKC, i think you will loose at least that many in seattle. More im sure, were a larger market.

iamgine
03-02-2008, 04:57 AM
2.) The market the owner wants to move the team to is a MUCH smaller market ( statisticly proven. ) So given 1 and 2, how is this a sound descision based on good business?

Ok so we know that in business, things change fast and when the owner said he wouldn't move the team he simply lied or circumstances have change. Blah blah blah whatever, it's not very uncommon in business world.

However, what interest me is #2. What motive could the owner have moving it into smaller market? Is there anything to gain?

Howard Schits
03-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Ok so we know that in business, things change fast and when the owner said he wouldn't move the team he simply lied or circumstances have change. Blah blah blah whatever, it's not very uncommon in business world.

However, what interest me is #2. What motive could the owner have moving it into smaller market? Is there anything to gain?

So he can be a hero in Oklahoma City.

If NBA fans don't stand up for Seattle, one of these days this kind of crap is going to happen in your backyard.

JordanL
03-02-2008, 06:31 AM

What' even more interesting is when you compare the relative requests:

Seattle: 3.2 million people; high attendence (even when doing poorly); sold seelout crowds to KeyArena during away games to watch the game on the JumoTron (that's a real fanbase); $500 million arena 3 miles outside of town.

OKC: 1.6 million people; good attendence during Hornets stay; ~$90 million arena inside town.

Bennet has pretty much said that Seattle has to build him an arena five times more expensive than the one he'd accept from OKC, and refuses to co-fund any of it. He's not even asking for help, he's telling them to fund it all.

My question is why a $500 million arena is the bare minimum in Seattle, but a $90 million arena is more than acceptable in OKC.

If this move goes through Stern needs to be tarred and feathered.

iamgine
03-02-2008, 07:44 AM
From what I understand after reading more into this issue, Clay Bennett's motive for wanting to move the team to Oklahoma is because he is born and raised there and always want to bring the NBA to Oklahoma. There is no financial motive at all as far as I read. In fact, he seems to lose quite a bit of money if he move the team there.

Seattle however, being a good market and all, shouldn't be without an NBA team for too long, with the most likely candidate being Chris Paul & CO. Although Stern did say that if the Sonics move out then Seattle can't have another team moving in. There's a reason for this but I'll have to read more into it.

Linas Kleiza
03-02-2008, 12:13 PM
From what I understand after reading more into this issue, Clay Bennett's motive for wanting to move the team to Oklahoma is because he is born and raised there and always want to bring the NBA to Oklahoma. There is no financial motive at all as far as I read. In fact, he seems to lose quite a bit of money if he move the team there.

Seattle however, being a good market and all, shouldn't be without an NBA team for too long, with the most likely candidate being Chris Paul & CO. Although Stern did say that if the Sonics move out then Seattle can't have another team moving in. There's a reason for this but I'll have to read more into it.

do you realize that the Hornets have been selling out games (or close to it) left and right for almost 2 months? Their attendence problems were just for November and early December. They've been making a killing since then in ticket sales. Great crowd, state of the art arena (ranked the 4th best arena in the NBA)

Hornets won't be moving. They're 49% owned by New Orleans businessmen and George Shinn (Mr. 51%) is planning on selling them more when he retires just so the team can stay in New Orleans.

JordanL
03-02-2008, 07:27 PM
The whole situation just pisses me off.

Weez65
03-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Bump. Please dont let this thread die. Weather people recognize it or not, this story is probably the most important story in the NBA right now. It goes beyond effecting Seattle. EVERY small to mid-market teams should be very worried.

Does your team fan base support their team even during the lean and rebuilding years?

Is you local government more than willing to work with ownership to help keep the team at the top of the list as far as team facilities and extra income goes?

Does your team have a LONG history with the NBA including a championship?

Seattle gets a check mark in all three of those catagories. Yet, it hasnt mattered. Despite the positive check marks ownership apears to have zero interest in staying, to the point of accepting offers from OKC that is less than half of what seattle offered.

Its not bull guys, if it can happen in Seattle, it can happen to you to.

Please keep this thread alive.

Weez65
03-05-2008, 05:40 AM
From a story on ESPN tonight...

"The Sonics are in Seattle, and the Sonics can stay in Seattle. That's in the hands of Seattle," Williams said. "Seattle can still keep their team if they're willing to do what it takes to pay for it.

"It's not ours to win. It's Seattle's to lose."

This sums up the steam rolling that seattle is receiving. We can keep the Sonics if only were willing to step up and do our part.

OKC just voted and approved the moneys for a 121 million improvement to their arena. But to "step up" and do what we should to keep the Sonics were asked to pay 550 million and have the arena built outside of town? Its very interesting that OKC's 121 million is just fine. But seattle's already offered 250 million is just not NEARLY enough to interest Cash-us Clay.

I wonder if OKC would have passed a vote for 550 million. considering the margin of victory, i seriously doubt it.

Ludicrous. Ridiculous. Sad. Underhanded. deceitful. Shameful.

Shame on you Clay bennet. But even more so, SHAME ON YOU DAVID STERN. Your the biggest shyster of all. Bennets a common crook. But your supposed to be thinking of the league and whats best for it. An NBA team in OKC is better for the league than the larger market its spent the past 41 years in? laughable. Shame on you David Stern.

I think weve lost our team already. BUT what really makes me angry is people like that guy from OKC trying to make it sound like if we loose the team then its our own fault. nothing could be further from the truth and I AT LEAST want the world to know that Seattle is not at fault here. That Seattle is a wonderful sports city that dearly loves its teams.

Its not like we havent been down this road before. Outside ownership has tried to take both the mariners and seahawks away from us. The city and people of this area responded in force and we saved two teams that were on the brink of leaving. now both those teams are solid gold here and will probably never leave.

And lets not forget that we have the mariners because one of our states politicians SUED when the old seattle pilots were moved out without warning and became the milwaukee Brewers. So thats 3 times we HAVE done the right thing and saved our teams.

We want nothing more than to do the same thing in this case. but were talking to a wall. A lying crooked cheating wall that has had an agenda right from the start.

Clay Bennet and Daniel Stern, Im buying the lakers and relocating them to Olympia washington. Then i was thinking about buying the Red Sox and moving them to Eugene Or.

Why not? its just a little history were destroying. and after i do that, and someday die, ill have my lunches in Hell, right along side Clay and David. ( In a little cafe ran by Art Modell and Robert Irsay. )

Good Old Willy
03-05-2008, 10:06 AM
ISH

Basketball fans.

It is worth reading the article.

El Kabong
03-05-2008, 10:19 AM
3.) Even though the city of Seattle has already twice had its arm twisted into funding new stadiums ( 3 times if you count the less than 13 year old 200 million dollar renovation to the Sonics current arena.) Clay Bennet decided that it didnt matterthat his teams arena is still one of the newer buildings in the league. He demanded that not just a new one be built, but an extremely expensive one even by todays pro sport standards. AND he had to have it built in a very specific spot that made no sense to ANYONE but himself. Why? Because it was never his intention to stay in seattle. he wanted the proposal to be shot down.
Hit the nail on the head. Owner asks for a crazy amount of money, for an arena that doesn't make any sense. City rightfully refuses, and he can say "I guess you don't want an NBA team." and skips town.

Don't the rest of the owners have to appove the move too? So there's still a change the team will stay in Seattle.

The Bynuminator
03-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Hit the nail on the head. Owner asks for a crazy amount of money, for an arena that doesn't make any sense. City rightfully refuses, and he can say "I guess you don't want an NBA team." and skips town.

Don't the rest of the owners have to appove the move too? So there's still a change the team will stay in Seattle.
Why would the other owners vote against this move? If they do they will essentially be saying "We never want to get public funding for arenas ever again." NBA owners want to keep their ability to leverage municipalities and states for massive funds to support their investments, it's just not going to happen otherwise.

El Kabong
03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Why would the other owners vote against this move? If they do they will essentially be saying "We never want to get public funding for arenas ever again." NBA owners want to keep their ability to leverage municipalities and states for massive funds to support their investments, it's just not going to happen otherwise.
Don't you believe in miracles? Can I get an hallelujah?

The Bynuminator
03-05-2008, 10:32 AM
The Bynuminator doesn't believe in miracles or compromise, you just strap yourself in and feel the Gs.

El Kabong
03-05-2008, 10:34 AM
The Bynuminator doesn't believe in miracles or compromise, you just strap yourself in and feel the Gs.
That's the type of attitude you need to take to Clay Bennet. Show him the "Gs" and get him to keep the Sonics in Seattle.

Weez65
03-05-2008, 11:02 PM
A song for those Sonics fans that would like a walk down memory lane.

http://www.ryanparkersongs.com/2008/03/save-sonics-2000-miles.html

RainierBeachPoet
03-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and wireless magnate John Stanton are among the local investors behind an effort to buy the Sonics and cover half the cost of a $300 million KeyArena expansion to try to keep the team in Seattle, sources confirmed Wednesday (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004264013_sonics06m.html). Neither Stanton nor Ballmer could be reached for comment Wednesday night. The other members of the investment group, Costco CEO Jim Sinegal and Seattle developer Matt Griffin, have previously disclosed their own involvement. Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004264013_sonics06m.html)

Seattle leaders are pushing the offer of private cash as a "game changer" that ought to sway state legislators to pass an arena package to keep the Sonics from moving to team owner Clay Bennett's hometown of Oklahoma City (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004264013_sonics06m.html). The proposed 50-50 split beats anything put on the table by Sonics owners. Even some usual critics of taxpayer subsidies for pro sports

FPower
03-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Sonics fans should form a posse and take out Bennett wild west style. When all else fails, an angry mob is the way to go.

dejordan
03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=RainierBeachPoet]Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and wireless magnate John Stanton are among the local investors behind an effort to buy the Sonics and cover half the cost of a $300 million KeyArena expansion to try to keep the team in Seattle, sources confirmed Wednesday (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004264013_sonics06m.html). Neither Stanton nor Ballmer could be reached for comment Wednesday night. The other members of the investment group, Costco CEO Jim Sinegal and Seattle developer Matt Griffin, have previously disclosed their own involvement. Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004264013_sonics06m.html)

Seattle leaders are pushing the offer of private cash as a "game changer" that ought to sway state legislators to pass an arena package to keep the Sonics from moving to team owner Clay Bennett's hometown of Oklahoma City (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004264013_sonics06m.html). The proposed 50-50 split beats anything put on the table by Sonics owners. Even some usual critics of taxpayer subsidies for pro sports

Weez65
03-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Now if nothing else no one can say Seattle didnt put forth every effort to keep the team. Being a true Seattle fan in ALL there sports, i know what its like to be hopefull yet rarely happy in the end. :P Lets just say that in some small way i cant really fully explain, i know just a small bit of the pain Cub fans deal with. :P

I was just 12 or 13 when the Sonics won the title. I was from a small town near the coast but i still remember cars driving down the street and honking there horns. Yelling out the windows to people walking along the street. "They DID IT! THEY WON! THE SONICS ARE THE CHAMPS!"

And since then, to be honest, We've had some good moments in Seattle sports. But not the kind of true joy a sports championship brings. Good memories though. But oddly as think about it i realize that two of the biggest moments in Seattle sports history, two of the times i felt shear joy and satisfaction happened on the day that it was official and we had saved the Mariners and the Seahawks from people that were trying to take them away.

So im clinging desperately to this plan and hopeing that for the third time we can pull this off and save a piece of our local flavor and history.

What we need is for more heavy hitters to get behind this movement. AND more average Joes to voice there support for seattle on boards like this. The NBA needs to hear that they will be making one city happy by allowing the move, and all the rest of the NBA fan base unhappy.

Save our Sonics.

Weez65
03-06-2008, 10:36 PM
This is Interesting. ESPN reports the story about NBA owners touring the OKC downtown area, BUT there is absolutely no mention whatsoever of Seattles announced plan today by a group of true heavy hitters that want to buy and keep the team in Seattle. They also have a 300 million dollar plan to make Key Arena State of the art again.

Oklahoma approved 121 mill. Seattle offers 300 mill and the rock solid reality of keeping a 41 year old team right where its always been well loved.

And ESPN only mentions the OKC story. Interesting.

Oh, I almost forgot the story i was talking about.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Commissioner David Stern and other NBA officials will tour Oklahoma City's downtown arena on March 25 as part of the Seattle SuperSonics' relocation request.

Deputy commissioner Adam Silver, president of league and basketball operations Joel Litvin and team owners who serve on the relocation committee will be shown a presentation on planned improvements to the Ford Center that were approved Tuesday by voters.

Sonics owner Clay Bennett also plans to discuss an off-site practice facility and franchise business issues with the other owners.

The relocation committee will make a recommendation to the NBA's 29 other team owners, who will decide on the Sonics' relocation request at the league's board of governors meetings April 17-18 in New York.

A trial is scheduled for federal court this June in Seattle's bid to force the SuperSonics to remain in the city until their lease ends in 2010.

RainierBeachPoet
03-07-2008, 12:05 AM
what disgusts me is that even if a deal can be worked to save the sonics -(and i hope to hell that's what happens because it's attrocious that this team should move when so many teams with much poorer fanbases continue to wallow in cities that won't support them) - clay is still going to get the best end of any deal. that is just unhealthy for the world at large.
not as much as it disgusts me...

the owners of the league will always do what is best for their best business self interests (although, for bennett there is a "civic" altruism to bring a team to okc)

and then there is the dynamic that the commish will always cow tow to the owners for whom he really works:banghead:

our hope is that the sonics have to stay true to their lease and we have more time to search for other options to keep the team here

billybadass
03-07-2008, 02:24 AM
the lakers beat da supersonics. today wuz a good day

RainierBeachPoet
03-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Now if nothing else no one can say Seattle didnt put forth every effort to keep the team. Being a true Seattle fan in ALL there sports, i know what its like to be hopefull yet rarely happy in the end. :P Lets just say that in some small way i cant really fully explain, i know just a small bit of the pain Cub fans deal with. :P

I was just 12 or 13 when the Sonics won the title. I was from a small town near the coast but i still remember cars driving down the street and honking there horns. Yelling out the windows to people walking along the street. "They DID IT! THEY WON! THE SONICS ARE THE CHAMPS!"

And since then, to be honest, We've had some good moments in Seattle sports. But not the kind of true joy a sports championship brings. Good memories though. But oddly as think about it i realize that two of the biggest moments in Seattle sports history, two of the times i felt shear joy and satisfaction happened on the day that it was official and we had saved the Mariners and the Seahawks from people that were trying to take them away.

So im clinging desperately to this plan and hopeing that for the third time we can pull this off and save a piece of our local flavor and history.

What we need is for more heavy hitters to get behind this movement. AND more average Joes to voice there support for seattle on boards like this. The NBA needs to hear that they will be making one city happy by allowing the move, and all the rest of the NBA fan base unhappy.

Save our Sonics.

i was a soph in h.s. when the sonics won it. we went downtown after the game and it was crazy!

what town were you from?

2LeTTeRS KD
03-07-2008, 10:54 AM
As an original Charlotte Hornets fan I feel your pain. We loved the team but grew further and further away because of all the tragedies and police blotter. Bobby Phils dying racing David Wesley, all Anthony Mason's arrest, and owner George Shinn scandals put a rift between us and our sports team, especially when combined with the problems with the Panthers (Fred Lane being murdered by his wife, and Rae Carruth murdering his pregnant babys-mother-to-be). At least we got another team but it hurts me to this day when their called the New Orleans Hornets, and that their biggest star was NC born and bred.

RainierBeachPoet
03-07-2008, 04:28 PM
As an original Charlotte Hornets fan I feel your pain. We loved the team but grew further and further away because of all the tragedies and police blotter. Bobby Phils dying racing David Wesley, all Anthony Mason's arrest, and owner George Shinn scandals put a rift between us and our sports team, especially when combined with the problems with the Panthers (Fred Lane being murdered by his wife, and Rae Carruth murdering his pregnant babys-mother-to-be). At least we got another team but it hurts me to this day when their called the New Orleans Hornets, and that their biggest star was NC born and bred.

one would think that the nba would learn from the fiasco that shinn had created:confusedshrug:. he really screwed the great fans of charlotte

there was that famous bumper-sticker "shinn happens"

crisoner
03-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Sorry Sonics fans...you're getting screwed.

RainierBeachPoet
03-07-2008, 07:05 PM
check out: (http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sonics/2008/03/sonics_rally_planned.html)

(http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sonics/2008/03/sonics_rally_planned.html)
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004266448_sonics07m.html (http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sonics/2008/03/sonics_rally_planned.html)

(http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sonics/2008/03/sonics_rally_planned.html)
also--

Sonics rally planned (http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sonics/2008/03/sonics_rally_planned.html)
Posted by Jayda Evans (jevans@seattletimes.com)
Save Our Sonics planned a rally in Olympia for tomorrow. Organizers admitted to the late notice, but given all the news that has generated this week (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004266448_sonics07m.html)and how the onus is now on legislators to make a move, the need is now to show support, according to co-founder Brian Robinson. Here's the release.

When: Saturday, March 8, 10-11am
Please try to be there a few minutes early to account for the drive and parking. Where: Between Legislative Building and Capital, Dome
Please join us in the courtyard between these two buildings.
What: Show support for keeping the Sonics in the region
Supporters of the legislation to fund a Key Arena Renovation package proposed by Seattle Mayor Greg Nichols and supported by new potential team ownership will gather at the steps of the legislative building encouraging members of legislature to pass the proposal during the current legislative session.
Participants are encouraged to wear Sonics logo clothing and all participants will receive a complimentary Save Our Sonics T-Shirt.

RainierBeachPoet
03-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp and George Karl will appear tonight on FSN's Best Damn Sports Show. The show will air at 11 p.m. and replay tomorrow at 12:30 a.m. Payton and Kemp are in the studio and Karl joins via satellite.

Payton on the possibility of the Sonics leaving Seattle:
"We hope to keep hope alive. We want to get our numbers retired in Seattle. I wouldn't feel comfortable with going nowhere else. I don't think it's fair to the Seattle people for us to go somewhere and have a ceremony in some other city when we started something in Seattle. We love those fans and they love us. We wanna go back to them and let them see our numbers get raised to the rafters in their city and nowhere else."
Kemp on the possibility of the Sonics leaving Seattle:
"When Gary came in from Oregon State, we talked about looking up there one day and seeing our jerseys up there in the banner. I think something can happen. The Seahawks went through it a little bit where the team threatened to leave the city and they stayed and I'm hoping the same thing happens with the Sonics where eventually they can get something worked out."

Weez65
03-07-2008, 09:18 PM
"i was a soph in h.s. when the sonics won it. we went downtown after the game and it was crazy!

what town were you from?"

I grew up in Montesano. A small town who's population was below 3000 at the time. You probably haven't heard of it, its 10 miles from Aberdeen/Hoquiam.

I just remember how excited people were. To be honest i wasn't a big NBA fan then, but i still got excited when i saw how up everyone else was. And of course its what started me liking the Sonics. At that age I didnt realize how rare the championship was going to be to Seattle sports fans. As the saying goes, if i knew then, what i know now...lol, well i think i would have savored it even that much more.

Ive looked around on the web some and i cant seem to find footage of the end of the last game. i wanted to post it here to remind people of how awsome it was. In my mind i remember, i think Gus Williams ( please correct me if im wrong ) dribbling the ball all around trying to avoid the defenders and run the clock down, and as the clock hit the last few seconds he grabbed the ball with both hands and slung it up into the rafters underhand style, and i swear i remember the basketball anouncer ( can anyone confirm this?) saying "And as time runs out the basketball world is upside down, Seattle has won the championship." lol. If so its kind of funny because i think 30 years later the rest of the world would still have that reaction if one of our teams would win a championship. :P

Whats starting to concern me most is that no one seems to be talking about this in the mainstream sports media. I work a job where i drive all day long, and i always have the radio tunned into ESPN sports radio. I dont think i hear even one comment about Seattle's situation in an entire week.

While i dont think this is some sort of conspiracy ( Like the Sonics vs Suns final playoff game back in the early 90's where seattle got called for more than 3 times the fouls that the Suns did. But thats another subject. ) I do wonder why this isn't getting more attention. If i try to separate my fan-hood and just look at this objectively i don't understand why this isn't a bigger concern for other small to medium market fans. Part of me also wonders, given the extreme unfairness of the situation, why ESPN and other top sports media that are looking for good stories wouldn't pick this up and run with it. But all i can do is my part and hope the little snowball turns into a full fledged avalanche of Basketball fan outrage.

Keep it rollin peeps. Don't let this thread die.

Save our Sonics!

Weez65
03-07-2008, 09:27 PM
GREAT news Rainer Beach Poet! Thats the kind of thing i was talking about when i said we need to get more high profile people behind the movement to keep the team in town.

Im gonna try to get up to oly tomorrow. Maybe ill see some of you there.

Save Our Sonics!

Weez65
03-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Btw, anyone know what it takes to get a thread stickied on this board? i looked around last night but didn't see an answer.

RainierBeachPoet
03-08-2008, 09:56 AM
"i was a soph in h.s. when the sonics won it. we went downtown after the game and it was crazy!

what town were you from?"

I grew up in Montesano. A small town who's population was below 3000 at the time. You probably haven't heard of it, its 10 miles from Aberdeen/Hoquiam.

I just remember how excited people were. To be honest i wasn't a big NBA fan then, but i still got excited when i saw how up everyone else was. And of course its what started me liking the Sonics. At that age I didnt realize how rare the championship was going to be to Seattle sports fans. As the saying goes, if i knew then, what i know now...lol, well i think i would have savored it even that much more.

Ive looked around on the web some and i cant seem to find footage of the end of the last game. i wanted to post it here to remind people of how awsome it was. In my mind i remember, i think Gus Williams ( please correct me if im wrong ) dribbling the ball all around trying to avoid the defenders and run the clock down, and as the clock hit the last few seconds he grabbed the ball with both hands and slung it up into the rafters underhand style, and i swear i remember the basketball anouncer ( can anyone confirm this?) saying "And as time runs out the basketball world is upside down, Seattle has won the championship." lol. If so its kind of funny because i think 30 years later the rest of the world would still have that reaction if one of our teams would win a championship. :P

Whats starting to concern me most is that no one seems to be talking about this in the mainstream sports media. I work a job where i drive all day long, and i always have the radio tunned into ESPN sports radio. I dont think i hear even one comment about Seattle's situation in an entire week.

While i dont think this is some sort of conspiracy ( Like the Sonics vs Suns final playoff game back in the early 90's where seattle got called for more than 3 times the fouls that the Suns did. But thats another subject. ) I do wonder why this isn't getting more attention. If i try to separate my fan-hood and just look at this objectively i don't understand why this isn't a bigger concern for other small to medium market fans. Part of me also wonders, given the extreme unfairness of the situation, why ESPN and other top sports media that are looking for good stories wouldn't pick this up and run with it. But all i can do is my part and hope the little snowball turns into a full fledged avalanche of Basketball fan outrage.

Keep it rollin peeps. Don't let this thread die.

Save our Sonics!

never been to montesano-- but i will keep an eye out for it the next time i am near aberdeen

yes--- that is the lasting image of gus throwing that ball in the air as time ran out

for us in the pacific nw, this was a GREAT moment. that is such an ironic hyperbole about the basketball world being upside down because outside of the "sonic" basketball world (and bullet also), no one else really cared. the nba probably was at a low for the decade because of the drugs and the fact that blacks were dominating the league like never before-- white america and media couldnt rally around the personalities of the sonic-bullet finals

regarding the lack of interest in saving the sonics, it isnt on the radar screen of others because they are not personally affected. as i reflect on the charlotte fan's previous comment, i knew about shinn wanting to move the hornets in 2001, but the import of it all didnt really hit me at the time and i only followed it in the two paragraphs that were in the seattle times at the time

the same thing is happening to us now

Mathius
03-08-2008, 11:01 AM
So give us an update. Does it look like these "private investors" are going to be able to pull this off?

Technically I can't think of any reason why Bennet _has_ to sell the team, unless the NBA steps in.

I'm pulling for you though. I think letting him get away with this hurts the league, not just the Seattle fans who are getting raped by this a-hole.

Mathius

RainierBeachPoet
03-08-2008, 11:53 PM
So give us an update. Does it look like these "private investors" are going to be able to pull this off?

Technically I can't think of any reason why Bennet _has_ to sell the team, unless the NBA steps in.

I'm pulling for you though. I think letting him get away with this hurts the league, not just the Seattle fans who are getting raped by this a-hole.

Mathius

looks like there is some dragging of the feet with regard to the legislature. there are almost out of session and their agenda seems full and there is a reluctance by some to rush this issue

you are right, bennett does not have any reason to sell-- especially since his main goal was to get a team for okc. the only thing we can hope for is a court decision that the sonics must honor the lease until 2010. this would give s more time to pressure him into selling (especially if anything opens up with any other teams moving)

Weez65
03-09-2008, 03:33 AM
Ill bet if this had not been announced the day before the event, so people could plan, the number would have been much higher. I know i couldn't get out of work to go even though i really wanted to.

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_030808WAB_sonics_fans_legislature_KS.36b541d0.h tml

Anyone that was able to go to the rally?

As far as the lawmakers goes, I will not vote again for anyone that does not get behind this. I know there is a sect ( usually people that hate sports ) that believes the money would be better used in other areas. Ive never understood how they cant see past the initial investment to the more enriched community that results in having or keeping such a part of local history

And lastly, ill ask it once more. Anyone know how we get a thread stickied here? i think this one is important enough and obviously is one that will continue to be discussed for months. I probably should just PM a mod i guess.

Weez65
03-09-2008, 04:00 AM
I also noticed when watching the video clip that Slade Gorton is back trying to help save the Sonics. To those of you outside the Seattle area that are trying to keep track of this, Slade is the man that was HUGELY responsible for saving the mariners from moving to Tampa Bay/St. Petersburgh.

In fact the conditions were nearly identical. New ownership( Jeff Smulyan ) had promised from the beginning that it was keeping the team in town. It followed up with a DEMAND for a brand new stadium. Then a very sudden announcement that the team was leaving. All attempts to talk to the new owner were stonewalled. It was later revealed by a former employee of Jeff Smulyan that the day he finalized the purchase of the mariners he told his staff to start making preparations, The team was moving to Tampa. So...just another Cash-us Clay.

Heres the kicker though, what stopped Jeff Smulyan? While Slade Gorton and the group of heavy hitters he rounded up to keep the M's in Seattle certainly helped and were required for a save to happen, it may not have mattered at all if it were not for the fact that MLB did NOT want the Pacific Northwest to be devoid of a team.

So if we have reliable local ownership lined up, A great plan for a top league arena, AND the commish of the NBA on our side, i dont see how he can take the team. REMEMBER, Jeff Smulyan didnt want to re-sell to local ownership either. In the end his hand was forced.

Oh...wait. Thats right, David Stern is a mindless puppet for the whims of Cash-us.

But...its still good to see ol Slade get in there and fight for the Sonics. it sure cant hurt.

He's the man that sued Baseball over the loss of the Seattle Pilots and brought the M's into town in the first place. AND, he saved them when someone tried to steal them.

Lets hope he really sinks his teeth into this.

SAVE our SONICS!

RainierBeachPoet
03-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Ill bet if this had not been announced the day before the event, so people could plan, the number would have been much higher. I know i couldn't get out of work to go even though i really wanted to.

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_030808WAB_sonics_fans_legislature_KS.36b541d0.h tml

Anyone that was able to go to the rally?

As far as the lawmakers goes, I will not vote again for anyone that does not get behind this. I know there is a sect ( usually people that hate sports ) that believes the money would be better used in other areas. Ive never understood how they cant see past the initial investment to the more enriched community that results in having or keeping such a part of local history

And lastly, ill ask it once more. Anyone know how we get a thread stickied here? i think this one is important enough and obviously is one that will continue to be discussed for months. I probably should just PM a mod i guess.

i didnt get to go-- i am out of state

you can try to pm a mod on the sticky, it might work and we would be no worse off than now

Weez65
03-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Well Ive been trying to contact a mod, but everytime i click one of there names i get a msg that says i do not have sufficient privileges. My guess is im too new to the boards.

Ill keep workin on it though. This thread needs and deserves a sticky. Maybe one of you members with a longer history here can send a msg.

Save our SONICS!

RainierBeachPoet
03-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Well Ive been trying to contact a mod, but everytime i click one of there names i get a msg that says i do not have sufficient privileges. My guess is im too new to the boards.

Ill keep workin on it though. This thread needs and deserves a sticky. Maybe one of you members with a longer history here can send a msg.

Save our SONICS!

fyi

it is stickied in the sonic forum... although it is pretty dead in there these days

seems like between you and me, we could keep this thread on the front page with our constant posts

Weez65
03-10-2008, 01:39 AM
OK. TY for tellin me RBP. I have mixed feelings about that. While im thankful to the mods for stickying it, putting it in the Sonics folder suggest that its only of interest to Sonic fans. While this may very well be the case, i hope it is not, because the truth is that its going to have far reaching implications. Its going to be a good yardstick to measure your teams local security against. ( We Sonic fans thought we were pretty safe to.)

Maybe more important though, Is the precedent this sets for negotiations between owners and their teams citys over new venues. Why would any other owner want to pay ANYTHING at all toward a new arena after they see what may happen in Seattle.

If i were a owner who wanted to build a new stadium and i witnessed a successful, David Stern backed, move to OkC, my negotiations would start like this...*whispery voice* "If you build it i will bring my team and play" *Silence as the city trys to digest what the mystic voice has said to them* "But if you dont, if you ask me for one dollar from my own wallet, i will split town faster than a snake oil salesman being chased by an angry mob."

Next thing you know there are no teams in 7 of the smaller NBA citys that seemed to be doing fine, and we have NBA teams in Tallahassee, Montgomery, Jefferson City, Cheyenne, Providence, Little Rock, and Juneau Alaska! All because someone in there community was so desperate for a franchise that they were willing to cave and spend money their community really couldn't afford. Didn't i read that OKC decided to delay or give up on a Light-rail System so they could fund the new arena?

Please dont respond with comments on the likely hood of those communities getting a team, i picked them quickly and nearly randomly as examples. i did no actual research. lol.

So how this is considered a Sonic only problem, or of interest to only sonic fans, well i dont really understand that.

I am grateful to the mods for the sticky though. but mods, if your reading this, any chance of reconsideration? id rather see this stickied out with the other big NBA stories. Either way, ty for considering the idea.

Save our Sonics.

RainierBeachPoet
03-10-2008, 11:51 AM
OK. TY for tellin me RBP. I have mixed feelings about that. While im thankful to the mods for stickying it, putting it in the Sonics folder suggest that its only of interest to Sonic fans. While this may very well be the case, i hope it is not, because the truth is that its going to have far reaching implications. Its going to be a good yardstick to measure your teams local security against. ( We Sonic fans thought we were pretty safe to.)

I am grateful to the mods for the sticky though. but mods, if your reading this, any chance of reconsideration? id rather see this stickied out with the other big NBA stories. Either way, ty for considering the idea.

Save our Sonics.

i put that sticky on because i am a mod for the sonic forum; but i am not a general forum mod

also, i think it is jeff who places those forum stickys-- although i could be wrong on that one

i will comment on your other observations a little later

RainierBeachPoet
03-10-2008, 09:14 PM
things are getting interesting:

Ratcheting up the pressure on the Legislature, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says his investment group's offer of $150 million in private money for a KeyArena expansion will go away if lawmakers don't act quickly (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004272789_websonics10m.html). In a letter to Gov. Christine Gregoire and legislative leaders, Ballmer's group said lawmakers need to authorize a taxpayer contribution to the KeyArena project before the NBA Board of Governors meets next month to vote on Sonics owner Clay Bennett's request to move the team to Oklahoma City. Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004272789_websonics10m.html)

If no arena plan is passed by April 10, "we will need to go back to our other responsibilities and our offer will expire," said the letter signed by Ballmer, wireless mogul John Stanton, Seattle developer Matt Griffin and Costco CEO Jim Sinegal. Ballmer's group is offering to split the cost of a $300 million KeyArena renovation with the public. They're also willing to buy the Sonics or another NBA franchise to play there (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004272789_websonics10m.html). Lawmakers are being pressured to authorize $75 million in car-rental and restaurant taxes in King County for the KeyArena project. Those taxes would not be new

Bricklayer
03-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Hey, what's up guys? I just wanted to express my thoughts on this sad situation. I just wrote an article for our newspaper about this mess. It was only an update on what's going on - not a column. Otherwise I would've ripped Bennett and Stern to shreds. Anyway, David Stern visited Salt Lake last Wednesday while I was covering the Jazz game. He spoke with several of us in the press room and I, of course, HAD to bring up the mess in Seattle. I was hoping to see him squirm or at least look uncomfortable talking about it. Nothing. The man is ice cold. He seems perfectly content, even CAMPAIGNING to put the Sonics in OKC. Here's what I transcribed of him talking about the situation:

"I think (the vote by OKC to backup funding for new arena) is a strong sign of support for the NBA and we

blazerftc
03-11-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm as angry over this as anyone else. But, this got me thinking. And, this may sound weird. But, why does it have to be the Sonics that move? Aren't the Grizzlies ramping up to a sale? What if Bennett can be convinced to sell the Sonics to the group that wants to keep them in Seattle, turn around and buy the Grizz, and move THEM to OKC? With what my best guesses are on the selling price would be for the Grizz, he'd probably still come off looking like a hometown hero, AND turn a tidy profit on the sell/buy exchange.

Weez65
03-11-2008, 02:01 AM
i put that sticky on because i am a mod for the sonic forum; but i am not a general forum mod

also, i think it is jeff who places those forum stickys-- although i could be wrong on that one

i will comment on your other observations a little later

Thank you RBP. Much appreciated. And from what i have seen you do a great job staying on top of things.

The man was practically smiling the whole time he said this. He's apparently looking forward to bringing the NBA to OKC and the statement, "I hope somebody back at the office is focusing on (re-aligning the NW Division) as we speak," is a tell-all sign that he's resigned to the Sonics' impending departure.

GRRRRR. What a snake.

I'm as angry over this as anyone else. But, this got me thinking. And, this may sound weird. But, why does it have to be the Sonics that move? Aren't the Grizzlies ramping up to a sale? What if Bennett can be convinced to sell the Sonics to the group that wants to keep them in Seattle, turn around and buy the Grizz, and move THEM to OKC? With what my best guesses are on the selling price would be for the Grizz, he'd probably still come off looking like a hometown hero, AND turn a tidy profit on the sell/buy exchange.

Im not really up on the Grizz and how there looking future-wise. But the Sonics definitly have a bright future. Durrant will be paired next year with a pick that should be very high. And i dont know all the Sonics draft picks, well i dont know any really, but i think i they got a couple other high picks when they unloaded talent. I may be wrong but i think the Sonics are more desirable to rebuild with. ( Now im going to go find out about the draftpicks. lol. )

And btw, yet one more thing that is very frustrating about all this. we had to endure some bad basketball to get durrant. But at least when an NBA fan goes to games during a loosing season he knows the one comfort he has is that his team is going to get better quickly. Better through high draft picks. So Seattle fans had to sit through the lean years, now some thief is taking what WE earned and the people in OKC will sit and watch a team grow that we should be watching, OUR reward! But hey, dont worry, we may get another team...an expansion team...sigh. more lean years and this time we may not get so lucky with our ping pong balls. ><

A.M.G.
03-11-2008, 02:33 AM
Holy ****, are the Supersonics actually moving? To Oklahoma City?? Because the owners demand a new arena be built using tax dollars, despite the existence of a recently restored arena??? That is beyond retarded.

What would happen if the Knicks ownership said that Madison Square Garden wasn't good enough and they were moving the team to St. Louis. They would be stopped, by David Stern. If David Stern allows this travesty to take place, he has FAILED as a Commissioner.

RainierBeachPoet
03-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Holy ****, are the Supersonics actually moving? To Oklahoma City?? Because the owners demand a new arena be built using tax dollars, despite the existence of a recently restored arena??? That is beyond retarded.

What would happen if the Knicks ownership said that Madison Square Garden wasn't good enough and they were moving the team to St. Louis. They would be stopped, by David Stern. If David Stern allows this travesty to take place, he has FAILED as a Commissioner.

this could be the slippery slope of cities being held hostage by the owners

danumber88
03-11-2008, 09:37 AM
They realy need a good gm to fix their whoel team up.. i mean I hope Durant gets some decent around him to develop.

RainierBeachPoet
03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
markeymark

thanks a MILLION for putting this thread in a sticky. this case of bennett and seattle could shed light on what might happen between other owners and current nba cities

we do not want to see a slippery slope of owners holding a gun to communities' head while they benefit financially

we all owe you a debt of gratitude for putting this in front of all ish-ers

RainierBeachPoet
03-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Ratcheting up the pressure on the Legislature, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer on Monday put an April 10 expiration date on his group's offer to pay $150 million toward a $300 million KeyArena expansion (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004273888_sonics11m.html). But Gov. Christine Gregoire and Democratic legislative leaders insisted that because the Legislature is scheduled to adjourn Thursday, it's too late to approve a taxpayer contribution to the arena project. They suggested if Seattle leaders think Ballmer's offer is so great, the city could front the public's $150 million share while the state appoints a task force to study the issue. Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2004273888_sonics11m.html)

RainierBeachPoet
03-11-2008, 01:55 PM
put to music: save our sonics

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78543

Weez65
03-11-2008, 06:32 PM
markeymark

thanks a MILLION for putting this thread in a sticky. this case of bennett and seattle could shed light on what might happen between other owners and current nba cities

we do not want to see a slippery slope of owners holding a gun to communities' head while they benefit financially

we all owe you a debt of gratitude for putting this in front of all ish-ers

Thank you. Anything that brings more attention to whats happening to Seattle, cant be a bad thing. TYVM Markeymark. :)

markymark
03-12-2008, 05:17 AM
no prob guys... I've always been a sonics fan (just gotta go with AI and the nugs for now)... it's the least I could do :)

Weez65
03-12-2008, 09:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080229&sportCat=nba

Not sure how I missed this but it has some good points in it by the writer. And then some interesting email responses.

I believe this is part two of the ESPN story linked at the beginning of this thread.

I didnt see this linked in the SoS thread. If it has been, i apologize.

This is a 12 day old article though, fair warning. :P

Weez65
03-12-2008, 09:25 AM
And btw, I LOVE the idea about walking onto the court and delaying the game to protest. The image of 3000 sonic fans standing on the basketball floor and chanting SAVE our SONICS for 10 minutes while the rest of the country watches the nationally televised game...

If the Sonics are gonna leave ill still boycott the NBA in all aspects, but at least id have that last defiant memory.

RainierBeachPoet
03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
And btw, I LOVE the idea about walking onto the court and delaying the game to protest. The image of 3000 sonic fans standing on the basketball floor and chanting SAVE our SONICS for 10 minutes while the rest of the country watches the nationally televised game...

If the Sonics are gonna leave ill still boycott the NBA in all aspects, but at least id have that last defiant memory.

i think it would be great too

but

the nba execs wouldnt show it for long. they would probably briefly show it but then go to commercials or back to the studio for some lame commentary on the other games as a distraction

A.M.G.
03-12-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm with you guys, I would have been pissed if my Raptors got shipped out just because they were struggling. You have all the might and political leverage of a 20 year old Canadian university student ON YOUR SIDE! Be not afraid!

Weez65
03-12-2008, 05:26 PM
i think it would be great too

but

the nba execs wouldnt show it for long. they would probably briefly show it but then go to commercials or back to the studio for some lame commentary on the other games as a distraction

Probably true RBP, but I think the msg would still get through if people saw it from even a few seconds, not too mention it would be shown on every sports highlight for at least that night. That sort of thing may even turn out to be one of those lasting images they never stop showing.

I'm with you guys, I would have been pissed if my Raptors got shipped out just because they were struggling. You have all the might and political leverage of a 20 year old Canadian university student ON YOUR SIDE! Be not afraid!
Today 07:43 AM

Appreciate the support man. We need all we can get. But i have to tell you, this move has nothing to do with struggling in any form or use of the word.

If the Sonics were a playoff basketball team this ownership would stil be looking to move. If this team were selling out every game ( and from what i hear attendance is only down a little, witch is expected when u see the record. ) THIS ownership would still be looking for a way out. It was always about bringing a NBA team to okc for this guy. Right from the start.

vert48
03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
I think that the owners are trying to save the Sonics by moving them.

Mathius
03-12-2008, 05:44 PM
I think that the owners are trying to save the Sonics by moving them.

I think you either have the worst sense of humor in the world, or you're a troll.

Mathius

Weez65
03-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Couple of gems for you guys, a little walk down memory lane.

Gus was my favorite Sonic when i was a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ16OdiJOC4

The end of game 4, 1979

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xus1gNLl6Zo

RainierBeachPoet
03-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Couple of gems for you guys, a little walk down memory lane.

Gus was my favorite Sonic when i was a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ16OdiJOC4

good find w65

also showing wally walker in his better days

danny vranes, bill hanzlik, james bailey were totally forgetable sonics

Weez65
03-13-2008, 12:22 AM
What we have been saying basically, set to a short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25UrxYZc1Ew&feature=related

And a slightly different version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeV7tQoQZ2M&feature=related

Weez65
03-13-2008, 12:24 AM
pre-game before game 7 of the 78 finals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Oi1Om-kxY&feature=related

Weez65
03-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Sight devoted to saving the Sonics. Something to keep an eye on.

http://www.saveoursonics.org/

RainierBeachPoet
03-13-2008, 09:32 AM
pre-game before game 7 of the 78 finals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Oi1Om-kxY&feature=related

game 7 was the most heart-wrenching loss in sonic history

dj went 0-14 i believe...

oldschool
03-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Bump

iamgine
03-14-2008, 07:05 PM
The Seattle SuperSonics have reached a preliminary agreement with Oklahoma City to lease the Ford Center.

The deal has to be approved by NBA team owners next month, and it can't take effect until the Sonics break their lease in Seattle. Regardless, Oklahoma City is making a push to bring back professional basketball.

Weez65
03-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Fairly interesting thread here. This is a thread started in the ESPN comment section that follows the stories they carry. The story was about OKC reaching a lease agreement with the sonics. Pretty heated thread with many posts authored by fans from both Seattle and OKC. The exchange is not always pleasant lol.

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3293942/sort/oldest

Makin' it happen
03-20-2008, 01:34 PM
so if the sonics do move to okc do the divisions get changed up?

Weez65
03-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Theres been a lot of talk about that on sports talk radio. I think no one knows for sure but the general consensus is that people think the NBA will have a hard look at it.

In a related story, if the Sonics leave town ill never know it if it happens cuz ill never have anything to do with the NBA again...have i said that before? :P

Save our Sonics!

Weez65
03-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Did i mention that if the Sonics leave Seattle ill...

:P Save our Sonics!

Traffic Lamb
03-21-2008, 06:04 PM
I hate how Stern has acted like he doesn't want the move to happen, like when he shrugged off the question at the all-star game last year. Couldn't he have stopped the sale since it was obvious Bennet wanted to move the team? It's frustrating, OKC should get the Hornets, NO can't even support one of the best teams in basketball.

OKC-SONIC
03-24-2008, 06:01 PM
so if the sonics do move to okc do the divisions get changed up?

Probably not, but if it did...

Dallas
OKC
New Orleans
Houston
San Antonio

LAL
LAC
SAC
GS
PHX

Utah
Denver
Port
Minn
Milwaukee

Memphis goes to the Central with Detroit, Cle, Ind, and Chi ??

Weez65
03-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Very nice. =/

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2004288438_sonics18.html

Weez65
03-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Im sorry my link did not work the way i wanted it to. This story shows how even our own lawmakers are lying to us. Heres the link to the main page. Read the story that is headed..."SoS suporters flood Olympia with phone calls."

http://www.saveoursonics.org/

This REALLY burns me up. So we had Howard Shultz, Clay Bennet and David Stern all lying to us, now we find out our own local officials are lying to us to?!?
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

http://www.saveoursonics.org/Portals/16/PublicDisclosureRequest_phonecalls_gov.pdf

RainierBeachPoet
03-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Very nice. =/

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2004288438_sonics18.html

thanks for the post weez. i started a thread in the forum with this:cheers:

RainierBeachPoet
03-29-2008, 11:09 PM
This REALLY burns me up. So we had Howard Shultz, Clay Bennet and David Stern all lying to us, now we find out our own local officials are lying to us to?!?
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

http://www.saveoursonics.org/Portals/16/PublicDisclosureRequest_phonecalls_gov.pdf

my guess is that the legislators want it all to go away as quickly as possible

Weez65
04-04-2008, 03:41 AM
Very Nice. Will the B.S. never end? It just feels like were getting it from all sides, even the people we should be able to trust.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/357229_sonicsdeal01.html

Weez65
04-04-2008, 03:47 AM
Interesting. I wish somehow the timing were different.

Very Sharp.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/17191786.html

Lamar Doom
04-10-2008, 06:04 PM
man, you guys ready to be (more) pissed off?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-32-38/Reading-Clay-Bennett-s-E-Mail.html

Clay Bennett, die.

Weez65
04-12-2008, 04:04 AM
Un BE LEEV ABLE!

This is nothing short of a conspiracy.

Bennet should be told to stay in Seattle or sell the team, and Stern should be AT LEAST reprimanded by league owners. In all honesty id rather see some sort of no faith vote passed based on his sneaky back door dealings with a owner who was ( now documented.) trying to steal a team away from a city in a very unscrupulous way.

I also saw that Kevin Calabro has now stated that if the sonics move he will not be going with them and will resign. We need MORE of this sort of thing.

RainierBeachPoet
05-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Un BE LEEV ABLE!

This is nothing short of a conspiracy.

Bennet should be told to stay in Seattle or sell the team, and Stern should be AT LEAST reprimanded by league owners. In all honesty id rather see some sort of no faith vote passed based on his sneaky back door dealings with a owner who was ( now documented.) trying to steal a team away from a city in a very unscrupulous way.

I also saw that Kevin Calabro has now stated that if the sonics move he will not be going with them and will resign. We need MORE of this sort of thing.

stern works for the owners and all of them (except for cuban and allen) are just looking out for their investments. so they want the leverage that bennett is showing in this farce

also, they will all be very much against expansion because of the revenue sharing so the best chance the sonics will have in the future -- IF the sonics leave-- is another team moving from an existing city

<<<sigh>>>

blazerjimmy
05-26-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm a Blazers fan - always have been - always will be, but how the NBA and particularly David Stern are handling this whole situation makes me sick to my stomach - I will never watch an "Okalahoma Bandit" - or whatever the hell they'll be called - game, even if it's against my Blazers!!!

I hope the Sonics stay in Seattle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RainierBeachPoet
05-26-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm a Blazers fan - always have been - always will be, but how the NBA and particularly David Stern are handling this whole situation makes me sick to my stomach - I will never watch an "Okalahoma Bandit" - or whatever the hell they'll be called - game, even if it's against my Blazers!!!

I hope the Sonics stay in Seattle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks jimmy

seems like most of us have given up at this point-- but i am hopeful for a last minute, desperation three-point heave

otherwise, i am preparing myself to be a blazer fan

brandon and martell are seattleites

Samuelb88
06-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Good post.

I'm 20 years old and have lived in Seattle my entire life. When I was a kid and was of age to be able to comprehend what was happening in a basketball game, I fell in love with it immediately. Shawn Kemp was my favorite player, as he was to many others, i'm sure. Some of the most fun I had as a kid were going to the sonic games and then being able to re-enact the game afterwards. I played basketball nearly everyday at recess and in my backyard after school with the dream of one day joining the NBA.

Although I lost interest in the NBA for a good eight years or so, (since Kemp left; I just started watching again this year because of the west coast :D) I am deeply crushed by the fact the Sonics are getting hijacked right from under us. I am disapointed that Howard Schultz sold the sonics to such an evil creature (Clay Bennett). I am angry how Clay Bennett is/will be doing whatever it takes to move the Sonics to Oklahoma and I am infuriated at David Stern for saying, (something along the lines...) "If Seattle allows the Sonics to move, it highly sabotages their chances of ever having an NBA franchise in their city again." with a big smile. What a jack-ass.

What is even more disappointing is when the Sonics leave Seattle, it might distance children from the sport of basketball. I could not imagine my childhood, or life for that matter, without basketball. It's profoundly disappointing to think children will not be able to discover the rush of attending a live basketball game, or becoming attached to their home team. Although I'm sure most NBA fans in Seattle (those who will continue to follow the NBA after the Sonics departure) are preparing themselves for the tragic event and have chosen a new team they can follow and root for, it just won't be the same as having your own home team.

-Sam

ZeN
06-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Good Luck to the Sonics.... it wont be the same with out the hometown of seattle:hammerhead:

RainierBeachPoet
06-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Good post.

I'm 20 years old and have lived in Seattle my entire life. When I was a kid and was of age to be able to comprehend what was happening in a basketball game, I fell in love with it immediately. Shawn Kemp was my favorite player, as he was to many others, i'm sure. Some of the most fun I had as a kid were going to the sonic games and then being able to re-enact the game afterwards. I played basketball nearly everyday at recess and in my backyard after school with the dream of one day joining the NBA.

Although I lost interest in the NBA for a good eight years or so, (since Kemp left; I just started watching again this year because of the west coast :D) I am deeply crushed by the fact the Sonics are getting hijacked right from under us. I am disapointed that Howard Schultz sold the sonics to such an evil creature (Clay Bennett). I am angry how Clay Bennett is/will be doing whatever it takes to move the Sonics to Oklahoma and I am infuriated at David Stern for saying, (something along the lines...) "If Seattle allows the Sonics to move, it highly sabotages their chances of ever having an NBA franchise in their city again." with a big smile. What a jack-ass.

What is even more disappointing is when the Sonics leave Seattle, it might distance children from the sport of basketball. I could not imagine my childhood, or life for that matter, without basketball. It's profoundly disappointing to think children will not be able to discover the rush of attending a live basketball game, or becoming attached to their home team. Although I'm sure most NBA fans in Seattle (those who will continue to follow the NBA after the Sonics departure) are preparing themselves for the tragic event and have chosen a new team they can follow and root for, it just won't be the same as having your own home team.

-Sam

sam

thanks for the heart-felt post

while i am generally optimistic, there has been too much to the development of the move and so many factors that go into it

it seems like there could be a deal before the court date starts
( http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/365556_trial03.html )

but in cutting the deal, i hope the city can get a promise to keep the name "sonics" (bennett wants a clean start with a new name/logo/uniforms/identity) and a promise for the next team-- whenever that may be

time will tell...

sbuxsux
06-13-2008, 11:28 AM
PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD!!! BRING THE KIDS!!!
This will be peaceful and positive!

THERE'S A MAJOR RALLY AT THE DOWNTOWN COURTHOUSE ON MONDAY JUNE 16
BE PART OF IT!!!

Monday, June 16 marks the beginning of historic legal proceedings as the City of Seattle defends its lease to the Seattle SuperSonics in federal court hearings.

Save Our Sonics (SOS) encourages Sonics fans to express their support in a group gathering outside the federal courthouse in downtown Seattle (700 Stewart St.) throughout the day.

Sonics legends "The Glove" Gary Payton and "X- Man" Xavier McDaniel are confirmed to attend and speak at 4:30 pm. Other Sonics Legends have been invited and are expected to appear.

Bring your kids to see these Sonics legends in person and so the next time we have a championship parade they can tell people they were there when the tide was turned to keep this team.

Please Download and Post this EVERYWHERE!!!
It's the Official Rally Flyer:

B&W: http://saveoursonics.org/Portals/16/rally_0616.pdf

Color: http://saveoursonics.org/Portals/16/rally_0616_rgb.pdf

Steve Kelley of the Seattle Times wrote:
Why is this rally important?

Because people will be watching.

The league doesn't like getting embarrassed and if a huge crowd gathers at the courthouse, the rally will rate ESPN airtime and it will be a signal to the rest of the country that Seattle still cares.

If thousands, instead of hundreds, show up it will be another example that the NBA is dead wrong about this city.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2004465742_kelley09.html

ITS FAR FROM OVER... SEE YOU AT THE COURTHOUSE ON MONDAY!!!

GET UPDATED HERE!!! http://saveoursonics.org/

SAVE OUR SONICS!!!
Last 3 min of home game vs Mavs - 16,000 fans chanting at the Key
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mp4lAafmZFA&feature=related