PDA

View Full Version : How to get a better vertical

2 FN LOW
03-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Hows everybody doing. I dont really have much time to workout/train due to my busy life...Most of the day im usually sitting down in a chair...I was wondering what some good drills would be to build up some leg muscle to get a better vertical straight off the ground...I dont have much time to go out and run, or hit the gym, so thats out of the questions..Just looking for something i could do for maybe 20-30mins every morning..

3stat2
03-09-2008, 11:24 AM
20-30 mins and no gym...

You could try some plyometrics. Pretty simple stuff, it's all over the net - a really simple example would be to get a box or crate or something, jump onto it off one leg, jump backwards off it, then jump onto it again off the other leg; and keep repeating.

A quick google search for 'plyometric program' should find your answer.

CySniper
03-09-2008, 08:58 PM
jumping rope helps a lot too

ABPrints
03-19-2008, 09:28 AM
20-30 mins and no gym...

You could try some plyometrics. Pretty simple stuff, it's all over the net - a really simple example would be to get a box or crate or something, jump onto it off one leg, jump backwards off it, then jump onto it again off the other leg; and keep repeating.

A quick google search for 'plyometric program' should find your answer.

Good response on the plyos. Just remember, with depth jumps, those are high level exercises, start with lower level stuff if you are not used to doing plyos. Simple hops, jumps and skips...work two leg to one leg progressionally. Keep the volume low, 80-100 touchs a workout for beginners. For a good start, look for the book Jumping into Plyometrics by Don Chu, and remember, it is a supplements to solid weight training (squats, pullups, deadlifts, bench, glute bridges)

idizzle
05-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Check out this thing I was looking at on jumpusa.com

http://jumpusa.com/squat_flex.html

It look like it can actually work.

mika
05-02-2008, 10:31 PM
This is the simple plyometric program that comes with Jumpsoles

http://www.jumpusa.com/manual/jumpsoles.htm

The program can be done with or without wearing Jumpsoles.

Kumo
05-11-2008, 09:54 PM
You can also do heel lifts. Just lift your weight up, but keeping your toes on the ground. Its not very strenuous, but keep it up for a few minutes, grab some weights also, and it will help you out.

lbkingjames_fan
05-13-2008, 12:56 AM
i dont care just get "air alert"

05-18-2008, 11:12 AM
This site has some good programs and information you could choose from.

www.verticalprogramreview.com

the.powerhouse
05-20-2008, 06:45 AM
Contrary to common belief plyometrics alone won't solve your vertical problem. It's a myth invented by companies selling plyometric programs.

If you want your vertical to go up you will need to:

-Compete hard in line drills (I have no study to back this up, but from what I have noticed players who play for teams that run line drills often tend to have higher verticals. The key is they need to be done regularly in a competitive environment.)
-Strengthening your leg muscles with squats (because your thighs are the biggest area of muscle in your body, exercising them releases a lot of testosterone, increasing overall body strength. Combining squats with plyometircs will help you develop quickness.)
-Diet (Underestimated by most basketball players out there. Only protein will help your muscles get stronger and faster. Don't shoot yourself in the foot eating fast food. Make sure you take in enough protein.)
-Rest
-And last but not least plyometrics training

If you want some more detailed advice read the following article

http://www.sportgorilla.com/index.php?s=3&c=60&sn=basketball&cn=plyometrics&view=3&o=

Daniel Masters
05-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Air Alert is the best end all of all vertical jump programs
It'll definitly take up more effort, but it will achieve results
If you don't want to buy the program, chances are you can get a PDF version by surfing the internet.

Evanb91
06-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Do squats one day and weighted lunges one day, and then run and jump the others. Also jump alot in your free time, it will eventually increase your vertical just by practice.

theparade
07-18-2008, 08:43 PM
AIR ALERT IS BAD FOR YOU.

http://eliteathletes.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=258

End of story.

If I were you, I would start with a good strength program (Rippetoes Starting Strength) and then now that you have a good strength base, do something like the Vertical Jump Bible that focuses on your vertical jump.

mika
07-21-2008, 11:40 PM
here is a program that doesn't require equipment, it was made by kelly baggett. you might have came across his site if you were searching for some information on how to jump higher.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/singlelegpower.html

BrentISballin
07-30-2008, 03:33 PM
If your in highschool or mabye even college, go find out what the football players do for leg workouts. Theres a reason football players ( the toned ones) jump extremely high.

A lot of people think that working out the calfs like crazy is going to make your vertical go sky high, but this is not the case. Focus on doing squats, hamstrings, lower back and your calf's should be at the bottom of the list.

Fallguy20
07-31-2008, 01:41 AM
okay... thank you?

v-unit
07-31-2008, 10:50 AM
What are you body stats? Height, weight, BF% if you know (Get an estimate online), how often do you workout, etc?

Once you tell me those, it can make the answer much better for you.

danz23
08-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Heres a nice vertical jump workout you could try:
http://danzbodybuilding.blogspot.com/2008/06/vertical-jump-workout.html

KZ_23
08-15-2008, 04:14 AM
All of the things you guys have listed will help you. You just have to work within reason. If your really quick already, and explosive, air alert and plyo's probably wont help you a whole lot. You must focus on your strength more then. In fact one proven way is to dunk, dunk, dunk, and dunk some more. Give yourself proper time to allow your muscles to heal and it will help with your vertical. It basically comes down to how much you really want to increase it. Good luck on increasing your vertical.

Kurt Zurevinsky
Flying101 dunk team

martinas23
08-15-2008, 10:54 AM
I would recommend air alert 3. Its an improved version so injuries are rare. I done it myself and when I started I was overweight, when I finished I lost weight, improved my speed, vertical leap and etc.

P.S. I didn't get injured

jamal99
08-28-2008, 10:37 AM
All of the things you guys have listed will help you. You just have to work within reason. If your really quick already, and explosive, air alert and plyo's probably wont help you a whole lot. You must focus on your strength more then. In fact one proven way is to dunk, dunk, dunk, and dunk some more. Give yourself proper time to allow your muscles to heal and it will help with your vertical. It basically comes down to how much you really want to increase it. Good luck on increasing your vertical.

Kurt Zurevinsky
Flying101 dunk team
Im fast on sprinting, not very agile or explosive, leg strength is ok, Im tall as hell... What to do to improve vert?

mika
08-28-2008, 10:13 PM
strength training is the way to go, always.

what kind of training have you done before?

Kumo
08-29-2008, 01:30 AM
strength training is the way to go, always.

what kind of training have you done before?

I've been lifting the weights, and my weight keeps going up, but I'm stuck at barely hitting backboard... really discouraging... any advice? I'm thinking about getting the trainer at the gym to teach me how to do a proper squat (I can only do a 100 pound squat right now :( )

ballerforlife28
09-11-2008, 07:28 AM
try doing vertical jump bible.

NY-Knicks
09-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Air Alert 3
Does it work?
Do you easily get injured?

Zak
09-12-2008, 12:54 PM
I've been lifting the weights, and my weight keeps going up, but I'm stuck at barely hitting backboard... really discouraging... any advice? I'm thinking about getting the trainer at the gym to teach me how to do a proper squat (I can only do a 100 pound squat right now :( )

I think i read in one of your posts that you're 15, not sure if you are hte person i am thinking of. But lol, i gained like 4-5 inches of vert over the summer just going to the YMCA everyday and playing pickup ball for around a couple hours per day. No weights or anything.

Close to dunking, i'm 6'0-6'1.

BTW, i'm 14.