PDA

View Full Version : Better shooter Stephen Curry or JJ Redick?

Younggrease
03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Also what makes JJ Redick a HS All American while Curry is deemed a mid major project. How is JJ recruited by all the top schools why Curry is recruited by Vriginia Commonwealth and Davidson.

How could scouts miss this kid:

1) jumper is pure and has a very quick release
2) it runs in the family
3) he is quick and moves very well off the ball

This year he is averaging 25 a game with teams dedicated to stopping him, last year as a frosh it was 21. How does every ACC, Big East, Big Ten and Pac 10 coach/scout miss him.

IlliniFan
03-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Because hindsight is 20/20.

Thorpesaurous
03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
I would say size, but they're listed pretty similarly. Although that's a little hard to believe. Curry's listed at 6-3, 185, and Redick is allegedly 6-4, 190. That doesn't seem to pass the eyeball test to me.

Maybe his size is viewed as a bigger issue at a school with more talent, where he's not going to get to control the ball all the time.

Younggrease
03-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Because hindsight is 20/20.

He came in playing at a level where he would start on most teams in the power conferences. He played AAU, his dad is a famous shooter. Why wouldnt someone take a chance on him. Why wouldn't Duke? or North Carolina or any of the ACC schools sign him. He was playing in their backyard on a good AAU team, how do scouts miss that.

, Curry was quickly named all-state, all-conference, and team MVP while he led his team to three conference titles and three state playoff appearances. He finished his senior season by shooting over 48% from three point range

they all knew who he was and literally said to themselves he isnt good enough. Im gonna pick up guys like they got now(Paulus types and Singler types)

yobore
03-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Curry was 5'9 when he was being recruited

BIG FURB
03-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Because he used to be 5-10 before he had a growth spurt in college

Younggrease
03-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Because he used to be 5-10 before he had a growth spurt in college

when did he hit a growth spurt...after senior year?

The Italian
03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
During the Davidson-Gonzaga game in the first round the commentators were talking about how people from North Carolina said that they just flat out made a mistake in not trying to recruit him. They said that they blew it on that.

However, like IlliniFan said, hindsight is 20/20. During the recruiting period he wasn't the same height that he currently is now and that may have driven some scouts off. If I am not mistaken he was a lot smaller, something like 5'9 or 5'10. That could scare some people off.

yobore
03-24-2008, 02:52 PM
as for the title question Curry is the better shooter IMO he is Peja-like in that you know it is going in if he can get a tiny bit of space. Redick could kill you but he didn't get his shots like Curry. Curry's team doesn't seem as dedicated to getting him open as Duke was, or maybe Curry just doesn't have the endurance to spend the whole game running around off screens like Redick did. Seems like he sits near the lane during a lot of possessions and makes a runout once a possession, Redick was the energizer bunny always moving everywhere. That maybe made Redick a better college player, but I think that makes Curry's game easier to translate because at an NBA level it's hard to design your plays so a role player can run around everywhere off screens without getting in the way of another part of the offense.

I never saw Redick take 3 pointers like Curry keeps doing where he has the ball with a defender on him then just spins and shoots. And those shots where Curry is catching the ball with his momentum going away from the basket and then shooting it a fraction of a second later are just ridiculous. Admittedly, Redick used to do those too. But sophomore Curry > sophomore Redick

Sonic R
03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Curry... its in his blood :)

Lebron23
03-24-2008, 03:05 PM
I would say size, but they're listed pretty similarly. Although that's a little hard to believe. Curry's listed at 6-3, 185, and Redick is allegedly 6-4, 190. That doesn't seem to pass the eyeball test to me.

Maybe his size is viewed as a bigger issue at a school with more talent, where he's not going to get to control the ball all the time.

Reddick was actually a measured at a legit 6-4 in the NBA Draft Camp, that is why you can see him towered over 6'3" listed guys like Devin Harris and Deron Williams, who are both measured at 6'1 3/4 without their sneakers.

He can be listed at 6-5, or in some extreme cases at 6-6 because he is playing the SG position in the NBA.

On topic i personally think that Curry is the better shooter, and he also shoots in a higher percentage.

Valliant13
03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
At the time of scouting there was a huge difference in acutal size ( 5'10 to 6'3 or '4). Curry didn't posses the kind of PG skills, or freakish athleticism, to overlook that deficit. I'm sure a ton of programs are kicking themselves for missing on him, but I can understand their rational on under recruiting him.

D Domino31
03-24-2008, 03:15 PM
JJ has the best shot where ever he goes. He has the best shot and the purest shot in the NBA. Stephen Curry I always knew he was a good player but his proformance this weekend exceeded all my expectations for him but I still got JJ for the best even though I hate Duke cause im a die hard Tarheel fan.

LJJ
03-24-2008, 03:19 PM
JJ has the best shot where ever he goes. He has the best shot and the purest shot in the NBA. Stephen Curry I always knew he was a good player but his proformance this weekend exceeded all my expectations for him but I still got JJ for the best even though I hate Duke cause im a die hard Tarheel fan.

So explain to me in details exactly why Redicks shot is more pure and better than say.... Ray Allen's or Kapono's? Maybe show us some comparable footage and point out what is so super pure and fundamental about JJ's shot, comparing him to other players known for their pure shot?

Or are you just talking out of your ass?

Valliant13
03-24-2008, 03:25 PM
So explain to me in details exactly why Redicks shot is more pure and better than say.... Ray Allen's or Kapono's? Maybe show us some comparable footage and point out what is so super pure and fundamental about JJ's shot, comparing him to other players known for their pure shot?

I would like to hear that as well. Ray Allen might not always have the best shot selection, but he puts it up with as much technically perfection as the human body allows.

Thorpesaurous
03-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Reddick was actually a measured at a legit 6-4 in the NBA Draft Camp, that is why you can see him towered over 6'3" listed guys like Devin Harris and Deron Williams, who are both measured at 6'1 3/4 without their sneakers.

I was more questioning Curry's size. That admittedly didn't read right. I was mostly pointing out that there's no way both of those figures could be accurate, either Reddick was bigger than he's listed, or Curry's smaller.

There's probably a better question in Jerry McNamara, or the kid from Marquette a few years ago who's name I'm blanking on.

steve
03-24-2008, 04:17 PM
as for the title question Curry is the better shooter IMO he is Peja-like in that you know it is going in if he can get a tiny bit of space. Redick could kill you but he didn't get his shots like Curry. Curry's team doesn't seem as dedicated to getting him open as Duke was, or maybe Curry just doesn't have the endurance to spend the whole game running around off screens like Redick did. Seems like he sits near the lane during a lot of possessions and makes a runout once a possession, Redick was the energizer bunny always moving everywhere. That maybe made Redick a better college player, but I think that makes Curry's game easier to translate because at an NBA level it's hard to design your plays so a role player can run around everywhere off screens without getting in the way of another part of the offense.

I never saw Redick take 3 pointers like Curry keeps doing where he has the ball with a defender on him then just spins and shoots. And those shots where Curry is catching the ball with his momentum going away from the basket and then shooting it a fraction of a second later are just ridiculous. Admittedly, Redick used to do those too. But sophomore Curry > sophomore Redick
I agree with your final assumption there. I do think that you're evaluation of Redick is more of his last year at Duke than his Sophomore season because he didn't always have the energy to move the entire game like he was his senior year, conditioning is one of things he really worked during his college career. Also Curry is a much more well rounded player than Redick was at this point. Duke had to run Redick off of screens to get him open because he didn't have the ball handling skills at that point to get himself open against quality defenders (although it got significantly better by his senior season). Curry is as reliant on just catching and shooting as his ball handling ability is a lot better than advertised and he can get out of pressure situations. The thing I'd be curious to see about is what he's going to do with Jason Richards graduating. It would be interesting to see if he's still able to prosper next season if they decide to put him at point (while they probably won't, I think it would help for his NBA prospects).

D Domino31
03-24-2008, 04:18 PM

Give JJ a chance and he will explain it without words. He has the purest shot but no one puts him on the floor to prove it I dont blame them cause his D is garbage.

fishysmiles13
03-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Also what makes JJ Redick a HS All American while Curry is deemed a mid major project. How is JJ recruited by all the top schools why Curry is recruited by Vriginia Commonwealth and Davidson.

How could scouts miss this kid:

1) jumper is pure and has a very quick release
2) it runs in the family
3) he is quick and moves very well off the ball

This year he is averaging 25 a game with teams dedicated to stopping him, last year as a frosh it was 21. How does every ACC, Big East, Big Ten and Pac 10 coach/scout miss him.

"It runs in the family", that's something you want to avoid judging people by; it's dangerous to use someone's family member as their own credentials.

And Illinifan is right; hindsight is 20/20.

Lebron23
03-25-2008, 07:03 AM
I was more questioning Curry's size. That admittedly didn't read right. I was mostly pointing out that there's no way both of those figures could be accurate, either Reddick was bigger than he's listed, or Curry's smaller.

There's probably a better question in Jerry McNamara, or the kid from Marquette a few years ago who's name I'm blanking on.

I remember Gerry McNamara he was listed at 6'3" in College, but he was measured at 5'11 3/4" ( Without shoes) in the NBA Draft Camp.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2006campmeasurements001.asp

McNamara was a great College PG in Syracuse, one of the Key Players of the team that won the NCAA Championship back in 2003, but he was undrafted in the 2006 NBA Draft because he is lacking in height, and he did not impressed the NBA Scouts in Orlando.

CavaliersFTW
02-02-2016, 01:01 AM
Curry.

TheCalmInsanity
02-02-2016, 01:19 AM
Curry.

Curry is an unbelivable shooter. He's definitely better at getting his own shot.

You can argue 3 point shooting is pretty close though. Redick has a higher percentage.

It's crazy how Redick gets all his shots by running around and using screens. Took a lot of balls to put his pride aside and realize that he can't create his own shot like he did in college, in the NBA. Lots of respect for him for that

Young X
02-02-2016, 01:28 AM
JJ probably the 2nd best shooter in the league behind Curry right now.

Graviton
02-02-2016, 01:40 AM
:durantunimpressed:

theaussieguy
02-02-2016, 01:41 AM
Curry is an unbelivable shooter. He's definitely better at getting his own shot.

You can argue 3 point shooting is pretty close though. Redick has a higher percentage.

It's crazy how Redick gets all his shots by running around and using screens. Took a lot of balls to put his pride aside and realize that he can't create his own shot like he did in college, in the NBA. Lots of respect for him for that

da fukk outta here with dis bullsh!t mayne, Curry is the FAR superior shooter in every metric despite percentage given the type and volume of shots he takes. In fact taking that into account, his percentage is a far more impressive attribute. And btw, Westbrook has a POVERTY 36.5 inch vertical.

FKAri
02-02-2016, 01:41 AM

There's probably several better than Curry. They just can't do it off the dribble like he can. They also can't navigate a pick like he can. They can't put it on the floor like he can. They can't make the right pass like he can.

Young X
02-02-2016, 01:49 AM
^Nah man. Nobody's better than Curry. I seen a video where he made 77 straight threes in practice one time. And nobody shoots with the range that he does either.

Redick is actually 2nd in jumpshot eFG% behind Curry and #1 overall in terms of makes and misses.

http://bkref.com/tiny/CSz6p

Graviton
02-02-2016, 01:54 AM
^Nah man. Nobody's better than Curry. I seen a video where he made 77 straight threes in practice one time. And nobody shoots with the range that he does either.

Redick is actually 2nd in jumpshot eFG% behind Curry and #1 overall in terms of makes and misses.

http://bkref.com/tiny/CSz6p
Stats for role players are irrelevant, they are not guarded like superstars. In terms of overall shooting ability, it's Curry/Durant, then everybody else. They can shoot from EVERYWHERE on the court, off the dribble, off a screen, on the fastbreak, with 2 defenders in their face.

Idk why people bring up Reddick, Korver, etc. as "best shooters". Literally all their shots are wide open spoon fed baskets when their feet are set. Of course their numbers will be slightly better. If they were guarded like Curry/Durant on daily basis they would be shut down so hard.

TheCalmInsanity
02-02-2016, 01:57 AM
da fukk outta here with dis bullsh!t mayne, Curry is the FAR superior shooter in every metric despite percentage given the type and volume of shots he takes. In fact taking that into account, his percentage is a far more impressive attribute. And btw, Westbrook has a POVERTY 36.5 inch vertical.

3pm 3pa 3p%
JJ Redick: 119 245 .486
Stephen Curry: 221 490 .451

You're right he shoots a higher volume. But with Redick taking 245 3's, you can assume he's pretty consistent. Almost a 49% 3 point % even with a relatively slower start to the season.

I didn't say he's better. I said it's arguable. They're both very good.

Young X
02-02-2016, 02:00 AM
Stats for role players are irrelevant, they are not guarded like superstars. In terms of overall shooting ability, it's Curry/Durant, then everybody else. They can shoot from EVERYWHERE on the court, off the dribble, off a screen, on the fastbreak, with 2 defenders in their face.

Idk why people bring up Reddick, Korver, etc. as "best shooters". Literally all their shots are wide open spoon fed baskets when their feet are set. Of course their numbers will be slightly better. If they were guarded like Curry/Durant on daily basis they would be shut down so hard.The numbers for Redick this season and Korver last season aren't just slightly better though. They're significantly better. Those guys had/are having historic type seasons shooting the ball.

I don't know, it's hard to compare role players/spot up shooters to off the dribble shooters. Maybe best "pure shooter" is a better term.

Graviton
02-02-2016, 02:05 AM
The numbers for Redick this season and Korver last season aren't just slightly better though. They're significantly better. Those guys had/are having historic type seasons shooting the ball.

I don't know, it's hard to compare role players/spot up shooters to off the dribble shooters. Maybe best "pure shooter" is a better term.
Hell I would say CP3 is a better shooter than Reddick, his mid range pull up/3 is automatic. I am just saying numbers for role players are always better than the reality. In the regular season they just get into a rhythm and keep shooting, also helps when they are not the main focus of the offense.

It's like how Deandre is leading the league in FG percentage but no one in their right mind would say he is the best post scorer.

Young X
02-02-2016, 02:14 AM
Hell I would say CP3 is a better shooter than Reddick, his mid range pull up/3 is automatic. I am just saying numbers for role players are always better than the reality. In the regular season they just get into a rhythm and keep shooting, also helps when they are not the main focus of the offense.

It's like how Deandre is leading the league in FG percentage but no one in their right mind would say he is the best post scorer.No you're definitely right that role players not being the main focus of an offense should be taken into account.

I'm just saying it's hard to compare them to stars. I don't think we should just automatically disregard guys like Redick and Korver because of them being role players.

Those guys also create alot of shots because of the work they do off the ball, running around screens. How do we know for sure if Durant or whoever would do as well as them in that same role?

Smoke117
02-02-2016, 02:18 AM
alf. Why give a serious response to such a stupid ****ing question? Who is a better shooter...the guy who has to have screens run for him or hte guy who pulls up 2 feet behind the line...I dunno...who is the ****ing better shooter? Ugh.

Graviton
02-02-2016, 02:27 AM
No you're definitely right that role players not being the main focus of an offense should be taken into account.

I'm just saying it's hard to compare them to stars. I don't think we should just automatically disregard guys like Redick and Korver because of them being role players.

Those guys also create alot of shots because of the work they do off the ball, running around screens. How do we know Durant or whoever would do as well as them in that same role?
Well I have watched Durant the most out of any player outside Westbrook, my "eye test" tells me Durant is on another level. You just can't compare them regardless of the numbers, especially when you take into account the attempts. He maintains elite shooting numbers while taking like twice the shots those role players do.

People grab Durant's jersey every time he runs around a screen, they double him OFF THE BALL when it's a close game in the 4th quarter. Nobody gets the defensive attention he does besides maybe Curry. His numbers this season are still amazing and that's when he is coming off major injury and coasting every game. He is letting Westbrook do whatever then taking over in the 4th. Running off screens and waiting to shoot open 3s is the easy part, actually making shots with elite defenders on you and all the pressure is something different. That's why Curry/Durant are in a tier of their own imo.

Young X
02-02-2016, 02:34 AM
Well I have watched Durant the most out of any player outside Westbrook, my "eye test" tells me Durant is on another level. You just can't compare them regardless of the numbers, especially when you take into account the attempts. He maintains elite shooting numbers while taking like twice the shots those role players do.

People grab Durant's jersey every time he runs around a screen, they double him OFF THE BALL when it's a close game in the 4th quarter. Nobody gets the defensive attention he does besides maybe Curry. His numbers this season are still amazing and that's when he is coming off major injury and coasting every game. He is letting Westbrook do whatever then taking over in the 4th. Running off screens and waiting to shoot open 3s is the easy part, actually making shots with elite defenders on you and all the pressure is something different. That's why Curry/Durant are in a tier of their own imo.Can't really disagree with you on this.

Durant isn't on Curry's level as a shooter though, no one is.

Graviton
02-02-2016, 02:38 AM
Can't really disagree with you on this.

Durant isn't on Curry's level as a shooter though, no one is.
This season Curry somehow evolved into something else. They were close before. :lol

TheCalmInsanity
02-02-2016, 02:40 AM

Idk why people bring up Reddick, Korver, etc. as "best shooters". Literally all their shots are wide open spoon fed baskets when their feet are set. Of course their numbers will be slightly better. If they were guarded like Curry/Durant on daily basis they would be shut down so hard.

If you're going to argue that, you can also argue that Korver and Redick are more one trick ponies and you can literally play them for their 3 point shot, whereas with Curry you have to also guard the drive and the pass. With Redick and Korver you KNOW they're going to shoot so you guard them accordingly.

1987_Lakers
02-02-2016, 02:45 AM
I feel so old, I remember the JJ Redick vs Adam Morrison debate & Curry putting on a show in march madness like it was yesterday. College Basketball from 2005-2009 was so great for me to watch, don't find it as interesting anymore.

Graviton
02-02-2016, 02:51 AM
If you're going to argue that, you can also argue that Korver and Redick are more one trick ponies and you can literally play them for their 3 point shot, whereas with Curry you have to also guard the drive and the pass. With Redick and Korver you KNOW they're going to shoot so you guard them accordingly.
But they don't gameplan against them, those role players just take their 8-10 shots a game and that's it, nobody cares about their one trick. Teams are usually more focused on Chris Paul and Blake Griffin when they play the Clippers. There is a reason why they keep getting those open shots, they rather give up those shots then allow superstars to get hot and win the game on their own. :confusedshrug:

Young X
02-02-2016, 02:51 AM
This season Curry somehow evolved into something else. They were close before. :lolYeah he just leapfrogged everybody. I'm sick of seeing his golden boy face everywhere.

Graviton
02-02-2016, 02:52 AM
Yeah he just leapfrogged everybody. I'm tired of seeing his golden boy face everywhere.
I am more tired of seeing him chew his ****ing mouthguard every second, dude eats that shit like it's skittles.

Young X
02-02-2016, 03:00 AM
I am more tired of seeing him chew his ****ing mouthguard every second, dude eats that shit like it's skittles.I dislike that whole team.

Someone needs to stop these ******.

I thought the Spurs would do it but you were right. Warriors had them looking shaky out there. They didn't have Duncan though, let's see how it looks with him in the lineup in San Antonio.

Graviton
02-02-2016, 03:08 AM
I dislike that whole team.

Someone needs to stop these ******.

I thought the Spurs would do it but you were right. Warriors had them looking shaky out there. They didn't have Duncan though, let's see how it looks with him in the lineup in San Antonio.
Warriors went from 0 to 100 real quick. Jerry West might actually be a better GM than a player, drafting Klay, Draymond, Barnes, Ezeli made the team legendary.

TheCalmInsanity
02-02-2016, 03:30 AM
But they don't gameplan against them, those role players just take their 8-10 shots a game and that's it, nobody cares about their one trick. Teams are usually more focused on Chris Paul and Blake Griffin when they play the Clippers. There is a reason why they keep getting those open shots, they rather give up those shots then allow superstars to get hot and win the game on their own. :confusedshrug:

I agree, just giving you another perspective. Either way they're amazing shooters