PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Joins Deng on GB roster

ukballer
04-01-2008, 07:36 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080331-tyrus-thomas-chicago-bulls,1,1463949.story

Ben Gordon, who was born in London, has joined Luol Deng on Britain's roster for this summer's European Championship qualifiers. Britain will play six games in late August/early September trying to qualify for 2009 EuroBasket in Poland and an eventual berth as London plays host to the 2012 Olympic Games.

There's no guarantee Gordon will play, but he's now eligible.

Interesting but very good news for British basketball fans :D Still no guarantee, but at least he's on the roster, so he must have some interest in playing.

berraco
04-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Still difficult for GB to grab a spot for the Eurobasket. They could be in the fight though, with Deng and Gordon in the roster. Are Betts and Archibald still there? They could give some help in the paint (specially Betts).

la bomba
04-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Still difficult for GB to grab a spot for the Eurobasket. They could be in the fight though, with Deng and Gordon in the roster. Are Betts and Archibald still there? They could give some help in the paint (specially Betts).
yes they do plus mensah bop from benetton.

ukballer
04-02-2008, 05:22 AM

We can try :D If anything our main aim is to have a competitive team for London 2012 Olympics and beyond rather than just Eurobasket competitions, but of course they will want to do well in that too.

Yep, we still got Betts and Archibald. Shame we don't have Azubuike, but we still got Pops Mensah Bonsu. Also some people have been raving about this young point guard called Justin Robinson. I haven't heard of him myself, but apparently he is wise beyond his years.

Potential starting 5:
Richard Midgley/Justin Robinson
Ben Gordon
Luol Deng
Robert Archibald/Pops Mensah Bonsu
Andy Betts

Joel Freeland is in the team as well. Damn, it's really not too bad. Obviously we are still gonna get stomped by most, but we are on the right road.

Hstone
04-02-2008, 08:01 AM
How come Joel Freeland doesnt start?

ukballer
04-02-2008, 11:17 AM

Well maybe he will, I don't know, just saying we got plenty of forward options now.

berraco
04-02-2008, 12:40 PM

As of today, I would take Pops over Freeland.

ukballer
04-03-2008, 12:11 PM
As of today, I would take Pops over Freeland.

Co-signed.

la bomba
04-10-2008, 02:32 AM
We can try :D If anything our main aim is to have a competitive team for London 2012 Olympics and beyond rather than just Eurobasket competitions, but of course they will want to do well in that too.

Yep, we still got Betts and Archibald. Shame we don't have Azubuike, but we still got Pops Mensah Bonsu. Also some people have been raving about this young point guard called Justin Robinson. I haven't heard of him myself, but apparently he is wise beyond his years.

Potential starting 5:
Richard Midgley/Justin Robinson
Ben Gordon
Luol Deng
Robert Archibald/Pops Mensah Bonsu
Andy Betts

Joel Freeland is in the team as well. Damn, it's really not too bad. Obviously we are still gonna get stomped by most, but we are on the right road.
are you dishing the eurobasket?? Its much harder to win than the olympics!

b.jerk
04-10-2008, 02:53 AM

Not this year most of the good teams are either preparing for the olympics or the olympic qualifying tournament

ukballer
04-10-2008, 10:05 AM

I'm just stating the intentions of the Great Britain basketball association. Their agenda is to perform well on the GLOBAL stage, meaning the Olympics. Don't shoot the messenger, it's what they said! Nobody is dissing Eurobasket. You read too much into posts, calm down. You can clearly see I said of course they want to do well in Eurobasket too. I know you clearly have a soft spot for Eurobasket, but the Olympics comes round once every 4 years, its the biggest sporting competition bar none. Your can clearly see I'm not dissing Eurobasket, c'mon man, step up. Your better than that.

la bomba
04-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm just stating the intentions of the Great Britain basketball association. Their agenda is to perform well on the GLOBAL stage, meaning the Olympics. Don't shoot the messenger, it's what they said! Nobody is dissing Eurobasket. You read too much into posts, calm down. You can clearly see I said of course they want to do well in Eurobasket too. I know you clearly have a soft spot for Eurobasket, but the Olympics comes round once every 4 years, its the biggest sporting competition bar none. Your can clearly see I'm not dissing Eurobasket, c'mon man, step up. Your better than that.
Typical british arrogance and I am british.
They have never done a thing in basketball and now they want to be the best!its the same in football england fail to qualify to europeans yet they think they are the favourites to win the next world cup!!!god we are full of **** in this country!And as for tennis i wont even go there!

ukballer
04-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Typical british arrogance and I am british.
They have never done a thing in basketball and now they want to be the best!its the same in football england fail to qualify to europeans yet they think they are the favourites to win the next world cup!!!god we are full of **** in this country!And as for tennis i wont even go there!

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? Your waaay off topic now. Every single team in the world wants to be the best at basketball. Where did I say we want to be the best? Sorry but it really irritates me when people make assumptions like you are! You are completely misunderstanding everything. Of course we aren't the best, and never will be. But we can give it a damn good go! That's what we call british spirit.

Good grief...

If you read my post PROPERLY next time, you will see I said the agenda for the British basketball programme is to 'perform well'. Nobody except YOU said about winning, which we will never do. Talk about irony..

LuppersGB
04-16-2008, 03:35 PM
As far as i can tell the aim is to do half decently in 2012. but yes i can see gordon playing well in a fiba set up.
im looking forward to team GB playing thier qualifiers in the summer. I'm hoping Pops's good play in Italy, thus learning fiba rules, will enable him to contribute well.
Also arent there a few college players that are legible to play for the team...well according to the times there is

daballa13
05-27-2008, 04:08 PM
When I first heard that Gordon was born in Englang I though it was BS, but Britian still won't do crap in Eurobasket.

la bomba
05-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? Your waaay off topic now. Every single team in the world wants to be the best at basketball. Where did I say we want to be the best? Sorry but it really irritates me when people make assumptions like you are! You are completely misunderstanding everything. Of course we aren't the best, and never will be. But we can give it a damn good go! That's what we call british spirit.

Good grief...

If you read my post PROPERLY next time, you will see I said the agenda for the British basketball programme is to 'perform well'. Nobody except YOU said about winning, which we will never do. Talk about irony..
Finch said he was expecting to be in the fight for a medal in London,its not me saying it!For a team that has never qualified for the eurobasket I call that arrogance.

ukballer
05-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Finch said he was expecting to be in the fight for a medal in London,its not me saying it!For a team that has never qualified for the eurobasket I call that arrogance.

It's called self belief :rolleyes:

You really expect GB to just go in half assed and not at least try? Pfft gimme a break..

Nothing wrong with setting goals is there? Maybe he is going a bit OTT I agree, but calling it arrogance is beyond belief :roll:

la bomba
05-29-2008, 02:08 PM
It's called self belief :rolleyes:

You really expect GB to just go in half assed and not at least try? Pfft gimme a break..

Nothing wrong with setting goals is there? Maybe he is going a bit OTT I agree, but calling it arrogance is beyond belief :roll:
You set goals granted.but to say they are going for a medal when they have never been to a major competition is arrogance.

inaminute23
06-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi all, this is my first post!

On paper how will GB fair against, Israel, Bosnia, Czech Republic, & other top european nations if there starting 5 is something like this for Eurobasket A

PG: RICHARD MIDGELY
SG: BEN GORDON
SF: LUOL DENG
PF: POPS MENSA BONSU/ROBERT ARCHIBALD
C: ANDY BETTS

I know myself they will definately compete, but do you think they can beat the best?

SUPPORT TEAM GB SPREAD THE WORD

la bomba
06-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi all, this is my first post!

On paper how will GB fair against, Israel, Bosnia, Czech Republic, & other top european nations if there starting 5 is something like this for Eurobasket A

PG: RICHARD MIDGELY
SG: BEN GORDON
SF: LUOL DENG
PF: POPS MENSA BONSU/ROBERT ARCHIBALD
C: ANDY BETTS

I know myself they will definately compete, but do you think they can beat the best?

They have a good chance against the teams you have mentioned as none are top teams in europe.I would say Israel would be the toughest,I personally think Israel are better.As for against Spain,Croatia,Greece,Russia,Lithuania etc they will struggle

inaminute23
06-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Gordon is in the 27 man squad for Florida trainig camp in early August. As Chris Finch says, this is the strongest Squad GB has ever assembled. Good luck boys!!

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/05062008/58/beijing-2008-nba-stars-named-gb-training-squad.html

berraco
06-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Gordon is in the 27 man squad for Florida trainig camp in early August. As Chris Finch says, this is the strongest Squad GB has ever assembled. Good luck boys!!

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/05062008/58/beijing-2008-nba-stars-named-gb-training-squad.html

27 man? what the hell are they doing with 27 man? A league?

inaminute23
06-05-2008, 03:29 PM
i think the squad is that big because he needs to start blooding a couple of the younger players in preparation for the 2012 olympics. An added plus is that the camp will be very competitive, with obviousley half the squad cut down at the end of it.

Are you from the UK Berraco?

la bomba
06-06-2008, 02:12 PM

Isnt it the only GB squad ever? as they have never taken part in the olympics and for european comps in the past they have as scotland,england etc.Anyway even if they have had GB teams in the past I am sure it wasn't difficult to get a better team!I think they'll have a good team and my country man Archibald is there so i wish them the best but Please, more realism,say that they want to have a good comp,but to come out and say that they have a chance of a medal is arrogance.

inaminute23
06-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Looks like Gordon will definately play as long as his NBA contract is sorted out (insurance reasons).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/06/10/sbbask110.xml

Good article i'd say.

berraco
06-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Are you from the UK Berraco?

Spanish.

Kebab Stall
06-14-2008, 01:19 PM
I hope we do well, but something just tells me won't. Just like every other sport.

inaminute23
06-14-2008, 02:03 PM
I honestly think we will qualify! I don't think we will win the group but 2nd place will do me (be one of the best 3 runners up). When England last played Division A about 8 years back we were competitive then! We now have a far stronger squad. Our starting 5 back then was not bad, but there was very little coming off the bench. This years squad will have more options & hopefully can hang in especially if games become tight down the stretch. If we are to suceed i think it comes down 2 a couple of things.

1. We need to defend the perimeter well. Israel & co will no doubt have some of the best 3 point shooters around. However we were magnificent defensiveley last year & hopefully this will stand us in good stead.

2. we need to work on 3 point offense. Obviousley if Gordon does play that will take care of itself hopefully. If not though we still have shooting guards who can hit 45-50% 3 pointers on any given night.

It will be a tough task don't get me wrong but these guys now are more determined than ever to put the UK firmly on the basketball map!

la bomba
06-14-2008, 08:47 PM
I honestly think we will qualify! I don't think we will win the group but 2nd place will do me (be one of the best 3 runners up). When England last played Division A about 8 years back we were competitive then! We now have a far stronger squad. Our starting 5 back then was not bad, but there was very little coming off the bench. This years squad will have more options & hopefully can hang in especially if games become tight down the stretch. If we are to suceed i think it comes down 2 a couple of things.

1. We need to defend the perimeter well. Israel & co will no doubt have some of the best 3 point shooters around. However we were magnificent defensiveley last year & hopefully this will stand us in good stead.

2. we need to work on 3 point offense. Obviousley if Gordon does play that will take care of itself hopefully. If not though we still have shooting guards who can hit 45-50% 3 pointers on any given night.

It will be a tough task don't get me wrong but these guys now are more determined than ever to put the UK firmly on the basketball map!

England in division A 8 years ago??I cannot honestly remember england in the A division in the last 25 years!I could be wrong but I doubt it as I have always followed european basketball.In fact England qualified for the 1946 euro championship and played 2 and lost 2
England 27 holland 48
and England 11 france 65
.1955 played 4 lost 4
England 50 france 97
England 44 poland 140
Yugoslavia 98 England 53
Austria 69 England 48.
1961 played 3 lost 3
Poland 78 England 34
England 58 Yugoslavia 122
Greece 78 England 43.
1981 lost all 2 or 3 games played.
In fact only british team ever to win a eurobasket game is scotland.
they took part in 2 events.1951
scotland 18 czechoslovakia 103.
Belgium 87 Scotland 25
Scotland 25 West Germany 69.
Scotland 44 czechoslovakia 123
Scotland 39 Yugoslavia 89
Scotland 65 Albania 42.(only ever win by a british team)
So all in all last time england played in division A championship i.e Eurobasket was 1981! not 8 years ago. looking at their history they have never been competitive.look at some of those scores,and thats prior 3 point shooting!

b.jerk
06-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Is mediazone going to broadcast the qualification tournament and the eurochampionships this summer

[#31]
06-15-2008, 01:04 AM
i wanna see GB vs AUSTRALIA!
im off topic but yeaaa! hahah

stax
06-15-2008, 05:54 AM
Is mediazone going to broadcast the qualification tournament and the eurochampionships this summer

i hope someone (anyone!) broadcasts the qualifying tournament even if all i can find is a crap stream on the internet. i think i'm more excited about that than the olympics!

i've already got my ticket for GB vs Czech Republic in London :banana:

inaminute23
06-15-2008, 06:51 AM
http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.roundID_228.compID_qMRZ dYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2001.html

England finished w5 l5, & narrowly missed out on eurobasket 2001. Back then this was the squad

Neville Anthony Austin
Stephen John Barnes
Raymond Howard Carter
Silas Paul Cheung
Tony Dorsey F 2.01
Andy Derek Gardiner F 2.02
Steven Hansell G 1.88
Christopher Haslam C 2.02
Kojo Nana Kwadwo Mensah-Bonsu
4 Iain McKinney
5 Yorick Williams G 1.92
6 Fleeta Mantia Callender
7 Ronald Baker G 1.75
9 Delme Leon Jefferson Herriman F 1.98
11 Roger Huggins FC 2.00
12 Ian Stuart Whyte C 2.15
13 Stevenson Lee Bucknall
15 Andrew Betts C 2.23

Of the squad that is present now, Yorick Williams, Andy Betts, & Steven Hansell are the only players still in it. Betts is probably the only one who will be in the final 12/14 players. This squad was good but was poor financialy. We beat Slovenia, Czech republic (home & away), & give Croatia a right fright along the way during the early part of the decade. GB are no mugs, they can play ball! We wait to see what will happen over the next few months, but im sure they will give more than a good account of themselves

inaminute23
06-15-2008, 06:55 AM
Stax it promises to be a brilliant campaign hopefully! I've heard nothing on the TV coverage front, but i'd love to see Channel 5 broadcast it (fingers crossed). Im going to all 3 home games, can't wait i think there expecting around 10000 at the o2 & also the Israel game should be close to a sell out due to the large number of Jews in the north west.

la bomba
06-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Stax it promises to be a brilliant campaign hopefully! I've heard nothing on the TV coverage front, but i'd love to see Channel 5 broadcast it (fingers crossed). Im going to all 3 home games, can't wait i think there expecting around 10000 at the o2 & also the Israel game should be close to a sell out due to the large number of Jews in the north west.

It won't be on uk tv. I asure you,whats more most people in the UK won't even know its going on.Its the same every year people in this country don't give a damn about basketball.Even those who play the game!!I know of people who play who don't even know what the euroleague is!!

la bomba
06-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Try www.myp2p.eu then click on live sports and select basketball.Thats where I watch most of the basketball that everyone in europe enjoys but I can't in the U.K!

inaminute23
06-15-2008, 07:13 AM
It won't be on uk tv. I am asure you,whats more most people in the UK won't even know its going on.Its the same every year people in this country don't give a damn about basketball.Even those who play the game!!I know of people who play who don't even know what the euroleague is!!

Well it was broadcast last year by Sky sports! Ok it wasn't live coverage, but it was coverage none the less. Im not saying it will be splashed on all the newspapers but im sure there will be even more coverage than last year. You are right in saying thought that alot of people play it but don't like to watch it. We will see though what pans out. Im looking for good performances & well attended games, then anything is possible!

la bomba
06-15-2008, 07:13 AM
http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.roundID_228.compID_qMRZ dYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2001.html

England finished w5 l5, & narrowly missed out on eurobasket 2001. Back then this was the squad

Neville Anthony Austin
Stephen John Barnes
Raymond Howard Carter
Silas Paul Cheung
Tony Dorsey F 2.01
Andy Derek Gardiner F 2.02
Steven Hansell G 1.88
Christopher Haslam C 2.02
Kojo Nana Kwadwo Mensah-Bonsu
4 Iain McKinney
5 Yorick Williams G 1.92
6 Fleeta Mantia Callender
7 Ronald Baker G 1.75
9 Delme Leon Jefferson Herriman F 1.98
11 Roger Huggins FC 2.00
12 Ian Stuart Whyte C 2.15
13 Stevenson Lee Bucknall
15 Andrew Betts C 2.23

Of the squad that is present now, Yorick Williams, Andy Betts, & Steven Hansell are the only players still in it. Betts is probably the only one who will be in the final 12/14 players. This squad was good but was poor financialy. We beat Slovenia, Czech republic (home & away), & give Croatia a right fright along the way during the early part of the decade. GB are no mugs, they can play ball! We wait to see what will happen over the next few months, but im sure they will give more than a good account of themselves

was martin Henlan not in that team?

stax
06-15-2008, 08:36 AM

yeah i've also heard talk about the 'magic barrier' of 10,000 being breached. exciting times!

channel 5 have covered the GB squad during halftimes of their NBA games this year. i will send them an email about the qualifying tournament, and encourage others to do so - at least they'll know the interest is there.

inaminute23
06-15-2008, 08:54 AM
yeah i've also heard talk about the 'magic barrier' of 10,000 being breached. exciting times!

channel 5 have covered the GB squad during halftimes of their NBA games this year. i will send them an email about the qualifying tournament, and encourage others to do so - at least they'll know the interest is there.

I'll email 5 too, the more the better! Like you say they do quite often mention them during the NBA games. You never know they might "pull the rabbit out of the hat" tonight & announce it! Anyway the more we email, then the more likely they will listen.

inaminute23
06-15-2008, 08:57 AM
was martin Henlan not in that team?

No i think his days as an international player were over at the back end of the 90's. i've been following the sport properly from about 96/97, then internationally from about 98, & never seen him play for England.

jbot
06-15-2008, 03:48 PM
i was wondering why we got to be on the team. i never knew he was born there.

inaminute23
06-17-2008, 07:05 AM

Just had an email back from 5 saying "they do not hold the rights to the eurobasket qualifiers". Does that mean a british tv company does??

la bomba
06-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Just had an email back from 5 saying "they do not hold the rights to the eurobasket qualifiers". Does that mean a british tv company does??

No Uk channel will be interested,when are you going to understand that. I appreciate that like me you love this game,but we live in the wrong country.The amount of eurobaskets,world champs etc that i have seen via internet through Mediazone or streaming is ridiculous when every other european nation is showing them on their national tv.Even nations whose teams are not even qualified.

inaminute23
06-17-2008, 08:31 AM
No Uk channel will be interested,when are you going to understand that. I appreciate that like me you love this game,but we live in the wrong country.The amount of eurobaskets,world champs etc that i have seen via internet through Mediazone or streaming is ridiculous when every other european nation is showing them on their national tv.Even nations whose teams are not even qualified.

Well at least we should able to see the away games live on the internet, better than watching Fiba's box score!

la bomba
06-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Well it was broadcast last year by Sky sports! Ok it wasn't live coverage, but it was coverage none the less. Im not saying it will be splashed on all the newspapers but im sure there will be even more coverage than last year. You are right in saying thought that alot of people play it but don't like to watch it. We will see though what pans out. Im looking for good performances & well attended games, then anything is possible!

Sky sports? they didnt show any eurobasket. all they showed was 1 or 2 qualifiers at silly hours not even live.Sky sports don't even give you the euroleague final four scores on their news channel!!!probably only sports news channel in europe not to!

la bomba
06-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Well at least we should able to see the away games live on the internet, better than watching Fiba's box score!

try myp2p.eu I am sure you'll get to see all the games there.

ukballer
06-18-2008, 03:36 PM
You set goals granted.but to say they are going for a medal when they have never been to a major competition is arrogance.

I keep telling you bro, it's not me saying we could win a medal, its them. Don't assume all brits are like that!

I think its daft to assume that we can win a medal, but hey, I'm not knocking it. I guess they have ambition, just need a reality check. As much it pains me to say.

We can try our best though!

la bomba
06-18-2008, 11:22 PM
I keep telling you bro, it's not me saying we could win a medal, its them. Don't assume all brits are like that!

I think its daft to assume that we can win a medal, but hey, I'm not knocking it. I guess they have ambition, just need a reality check. As much it pains me to say.

We can try our best though!
I know all brits aren't like that,I myself for starters!
He can be ambitious by coming out and saying we want to give it our best shot and see hwere that take us.To start mentioning medals is just tempting the inevitable fate.

inaminute23
06-19-2008, 05:40 AM
I know all brits aren't like that,I myself for starters!
He can be ambitious by coming out and saying we want to give it our best shot and see hwere that take us.To start mentioning medals is just tempting the inevitable fate.

I understand what you mean about tempting fate, as im very like that. I like you don

la bomba
06-20-2008, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=inaminute23]I understand what you mean about tempting fate, as im very like that. I like you don

Suns520
06-27-2008, 05:04 AM
Deng is British??

la bomba
06-27-2008, 05:16 AM
Deng is British??
mmmm,yes,well he has a british passport and did grow up in brixton! but he is Sudanese ,moved to UK when he was 12 or something like that.If you ask him what does he feel he is,he will clearly tell you Sudanese.

Suns520
06-27-2008, 05:26 AM
mmmm,yes,well he has a british passport and did grow up in brixton! but he is Sudanese ,moved to UK when he was 12 or something like that.If you ask him what does he feel he is,he will clearly tell you Sudanese.

Wow i never knew that

inaminute23
06-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Wow i never knew that

Yes, and hopefully he and his team mates will do the us proud in the Eurobasket qualifiers in September.

La bomba on paper who do you think has the best forward lineup in our group?

la bomba
06-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Yes, and hopefully he and his team mates will do the us proud in the Eurobasket qualifiers in September.

La bomba on paper who do you think has the best forward lineup in our group?

without being specific,the strongest team in the group has got to be Israel,not just because of skill,but because of experience.One things is true ,they could have had a tougher group,so in that respects they have been lucky,to avoid,Italy,Serbia,France etc.
Bjerk will tell you all about Israel and who is going to be in the squad and who won't.I would say look out for Omri Casspi from Israel,only a teenager still,great athleticism and an absoloute nuisance in the paint when he decides to drive.Eliyahu can be crucial,but is often left out of teams.I don't know their forward line ups,I don't know if they still use Yanev Green.As I say your best bet Bjerk.As for Bosnia and Czech republic,they wont be easy,Is Jiri Welsch playing for Czech Rep?Is Kikanovic playing for Bosnia?he is a good inside player.

simasu01
06-27-2008, 06:36 PM
How did Italy and Serbia get put into the same group for qualifiers?? I wouldn't be surprised to see a final game with these to teams to win the gold. Also Bulgaria isn't bad either. Group D looks to be the weakest, so you Brits are lucky. Britain can surely defeat the Czechs, probably the Bosnians also, since their team, for some reason, is much weaker than it used to be. Israel is clearly the main rival for Britain to get the top spot, and I hope they can do it.
Jiri Welsch played for the Czechs in 2007, will probably play in the qualifiers also, as I see no reason for him not to. Kikanovic is on the squad, but it doesn't say if he will play or not.

inaminute23
07-07-2008, 11:46 AM
http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000111.shtml

Good news that he has sent his paperwork through, but doesn

b.jerk
07-08-2008, 03:57 AM
I thought Eliayhu wasn't playing for sherf. Casspi is looking like the real deal and Deng had everything to lose and nothing to gain by facing him. Maccabi already has a prospect for small forward that could be even better Casspi in the future, Carmel Buckman(yes, he has a porn name) and both of them are really their age unlike a certain drafted french prospect we've all heard of. Israel is getting real good, really quick and people are already reconsidering old stereotypes.

inaminute23
07-08-2008, 06:25 AM
I think Israel will be definate favourites, but Gb have more than a chance to progress. I'll have a better idea how they fair when they start competing in there friendly games prior to the qualifiers. I anybody doesn't know they will play friendlies agaimst,

BELGIUM
SWEDEN
ITALY
SERBIA
TURKEY
PORTUGAL
BOSNIA (A LITTLE STRANGE)
ESTONIA

The first of the games is on August 13th V Belgium.

b.jerk
07-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Great Brittan has one advantage, coach sherf will do his best to **** it up. The problem is that israel is so deep that this may not be possible but trust me Sherf will try his best while sipping his paper cup of "gatorade" on the sidelines.

You might be an alcoholic if

If you always have bloodshot eyes and a sweaty forehead,
If you unreasonably tempermental and scream and argue for no reason,
If you black out while coaching basketball games,
and you are the coach of the israeli national basketball team

inaminute23
07-16-2008, 07:41 AM
http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000121.shtml

Sean Banks could now be suiting up for GB this summer!

kimmster
07-16-2008, 03:33 PM
bosnia and israel are going to beat GB
ben gordon and loul deng can't play alone

inaminute23
07-16-2008, 04:32 PM
bosnia and israel are going to beat GB
ben gordon and loul deng can't play alone

We will see Kimmster. Your right in saying Gordon & deng can't beat them on there own, but we still have other well respected players on our team who can compete. Im not saying we will definately beat these teams, but we will sure push them all the way!

la bomba
07-18-2008, 10:57 AM
We will see Kimmster. Your right in saying Gordon & deng can't beat them on there own, but we still have other well respected players on our team who can compete. Im not saying we will definately beat these teams, but we will sure push them all the way!
I think Archibald is more important for team GB than Gordon.

inaminute23
07-31-2008, 03:26 AM
I think Archibald is more important for team GB than Gordon.

http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000137.shtml

Major blow.....gutted!!

la bomba
07-31-2008, 07:31 AM
http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000137.shtml

Major blow.....gutted!!
Massive blow! more than if Gordon had not joined.I mean that.In europe you need good big men.Though there should still be Betts.What about mensah bop,he signed for badalona but I think he might now go to the NBA.

martinas23
08-10-2008, 11:08 AM
uk looks good now

b.jerk
08-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Ben Gordan and Loul Deng would be morons to participate, they could look real bad at the eurobasket.

la bomba
08-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Ben Gordan and Loul Deng would be morons to participate, they could look real bad at the eurobasket.
especially when none of them is really playing for their country.

inaminute23
08-11-2008, 10:04 AM
GB's first friendly tournament in Sardinia starts on Wednesday against Belgium tip off is either 6pm british summer time or 6pm local time. Thursday we play Estonia, & friday Italy

you can watch the game live via this link!!

http://www.turbochannels.com/free_tv_1095/videolina_tv.html

inaminute23
08-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Massive blow! more than if Gordon had not joined.I mean that.In europe you need good big men.Though there should still be Betts.What about mensah bop,he signed for badalona but I think he might now go to the NBA.

Mensa Bonsu is with the squad, so will be playing, great news in respect to Archibald's withdrawal. It states he is unattached though.

la bomba
08-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Mensa Bonsu is with the squad, so will be playing, great news in respect to Archibald's withdrawal. It states he is unattached though.
How can archibald's withdrawl be great news??
Should beat belgium and estonia,Italy should win their game.
Thanks for the link.As usual disappointing to see the little interest in the basketball void that is the UK.

inaminute23
08-11-2008, 10:49 AM
How can archibald's withdrawl be great news??
Should beat belgium and estonia,Italy should win their game.
Thanks for the link.As usual disappointing to see the little interest in the basketball void that is the UK.

You have misinterpreted my comment. The news that Pops is with squad, softens the blow slightly by Archibalds withdrawal.

The rest of the squad

http://www.basketballgb.com/index.php?go=teams

la bomba
08-11-2008, 10:54 AM
You have misinterpreted my comment. The news that Pops is with squad, softens the blow slightly by Archibalds withdrawal.

The rest of the squad

http://www.basketballgb.com/index.php?go=teams
Oh ok. Definately. Is Mensah going to the NBA or is he making the better choice and staying in europe with DKV Joventud?

la bomba
08-11-2008, 10:58 AM
I have seen the list of players,but is that the same list that is in Sardinia?Is Gordon with the squad at the moment?
I Think Gareth Murray could have a place in that squad,shame as Archibald was the only scottish representation in a great britain team.No scots now.

inaminute23
08-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh ok. Definately. Is Mensah going to the NBA or is he making the better choice and staying in europe with DKV Joventud?

He is classed as unattached which ain't going to please Joventut (they say he signed a contract). Personally i think his games suits the NBA. He had a great summer league, so i would have though he'd be snapped up.

inaminute23
08-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I have seen the list of players,but is that the same list that is in Sardinia?Is Gordon with the squad at the moment?
I Think Gareth Murray could have a place in that squad,shame as Archibald was the only scottish representation in a great britain team.No scots now.

As far as im aware that squad will travel to Sardinia, apart from Gordon which i thin they are giving him about another week to sort his contarct out. Regardless, from what Deng has said he will come over for the qualifiers & show his support. On the Scottish front, Kieron Achara is Scottish.

inaminute23
08-11-2008, 12:20 PM
http://watch.squidtv.net/europe/italy.html

this is a better link scroll down to videolina & click on 313k speed. very good picture!

inaminute23
08-12-2008, 03:21 AM
http://watch.squidtv.net/europe/italy.html

this is a better link scroll down to videolina & click on 313k speed. very good picture!

http://www.lyngsat-guide.com/Videolina.html?offset=1

sorry folks Videolina are only showing the Italy games live so we will have to wait till friday to watch GB play. Programme starts 19.45 bst

inaminute23
08-12-2008, 03:33 AM
http://www.basketball247.co.uk/features/archives/00000050.shtml

http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000151.shtml

GB squad announced....interesting!!

inaminute23
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.basketballgb.com/index.php?go=news&id=161

GB beat Belgium 80-64 comfortably, even without Deng & Betts!

Also just to let you know, Pops Mensa Bonsu definately signed to Joventut Badalona

la bomba
08-13-2008, 02:40 PM
http://www.basketballgb.com/index.php?go=news&id=161

GB beat Belgium 80-64 comfortably, even without Deng & Betts!

Also just to let you know, Pops Mensa Bonsu definately signed to Joventut Badalona
yeah read about that one.good for him.
Italy is the real meter for Great Britain.

inaminute23
08-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Sure is La bomba. We will put up a good fight. Rumour is Joel freeland is playing very well

inaminute23
08-13-2008, 03:00 PM
http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000156.shtml

full report. Very pleasing as Freeland too didn't play. Only downside was too many turnovers & poor free throw shooting. However for the first game a great result!

la bomba
08-14-2008, 06:54 AM
http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000156.shtml

full report. Very pleasing as Freeland too didn't play. Only downside was too many turnovers & poor free throw shooting. However for the first game a great result!
When is it they play italy again? and where could I see it?
Do Italy have a full squad?

inaminute23
08-14-2008, 07:23 AM
When is it they play italy again? and where could I see it?
Do Italy have a full squad?

They play friday @ 7.45pm uk time. Im not to sure if Italy Have a full strength team or not. They beat Estonia last night by 13, who GB play tonight. Latest news is Deng can't play in Italy due to the on going insurance ssue. Need to sort this out very soon!

http://www.lyngsat-stream.com/tvcountry/Italy.html

Try this link for the game, stroll down to videolina

inaminute23
08-14-2008, 12:17 PM
http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000158.shtml

Absoloutely devastating news! Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!

la bomba
08-15-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000158.shtml

Absoloutely devastating news! Can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!
Can't see them beating Israel now.

inaminute23
08-16-2008, 02:28 PM
The latest news La Bomba is that the BPB are talking to other insurers & are about to submit his medical records. BPB want it sorted by the time they get to Turkey so he can get 3 games under his belt.Fingers crossed for that!

Last night we went down by 9 to Italy but we gave them a huge scare in the 4th when we went on a 15-0 run to cut it to 4. Looks like we were trying out different options at the guard spots but in the first half our transition defence was poor, but Italy couldn't miss a 3 neither. Good points were in the second half when we tightened up defensively & looked more smoother on offense. However we need to work on our 3 point game a lot more! Pops Mensa Bonsu was the pick of our players (you'll enjoy watching hm next season), & also the combo guard Jarret Hart looks a nice player. Quite few positives generally. We now travel to Belgium for A training camp, where hopefully Betts will participate. Whilst we are there we will play Belgium & Sweden.

la bomba
08-26-2008, 10:40 AM
The latest news La Bomba is that the BPB are talking to other insurers & are about to submit his medical records. BPB want it sorted by the time they get to Turkey so he can get 3 games under his belt.Fingers crossed for that!

Last night we went down by 9 to Italy but we gave them a huge scare in the 4th when we went on a 15-0 run to cut it to 4. Looks like we were trying out different options at the guard spots but in the first half our transition defence was poor, but Italy couldn't miss a 3 neither. Good points were in the second half when we tightened up defensively & looked more smoother on offense. However we need to work on our 3 point game a lot more! Pops Mensa Bonsu was the pick of our players (you'll enjoy watching hm next season), & also the combo guard Jarret Hart looks a nice player. Quite few positives generally. We now travel to Belgium for A training camp, where hopefully Betts will participate. Whilst we are there we will play Belgium & Sweden.
well pops played in italy for benetton so obviously he must have been motivated for that game.Who did Italy play? where can I see the box score?

stax
08-29-2008, 08:46 AM
good news!

http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000171.shtml

as you can probably imagine, there was more than Eurobasket at stake too...

Had Deng been unable to play this summer or, as had been feared, in other summers to come, GB ran the risk of relegation from the A Division of the Euro Championships in 2009.

And had that occurred, the earliest GB could have been promoted back to the A Division would have been the summer of 2011, meaning the team would not have had time to fulfil the minimum requirement needed to play in the 2012 Olympic Games.

however, if GB do fulfill the minimum requirement of being in Division A, they still have to prove to FIBA that our team will be "competitive" at 2012 and thus granted a berth as hosts. but as we say in britain 'we'll cross that bridge when we come to it'

la bomba
08-29-2008, 02:11 PM
good news!

http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000171.shtml

as you can probably imagine, there was more than Eurobasket at stake too...

however, if GB do fulfill the minimum requirement of being in Division A, they still have to prove to FIBA that our team will be "competitive" at 2012 and thus granted a berth as hosts. but as we say in britain 'we'll cross that bridge when we come to it'
when are the first qualifying games? against cech republic

stax
08-29-2008, 02:27 PM
first qualifying game is just around the corner, away to Israel on the 3rd of September. in all honesty theres no way GB is winning that! :violin: i'm sure b.jerk will agree...

followed by Czech Republic on the 6th in gloomy old London town.

see the rest of the schedules here:

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOr Uf9le2.html

inaminute23
08-29-2008, 04:51 PM
GB beat Bosnia tonight 100-98. Not bad since we had no Deng, Betts, George, Midgley, or Larkai. Guess what? The first 4 names there could well be in starting 5! Like i've said before we are underdogs against Israel, but im sure we will put up a good fight. Our last friendly is tommorow versus Portugal hopefully the lads can finish on a high going into the qualifiers.

la bomba
08-30-2008, 05:50 AM
GB beat Bosnia tonight 100-98. Not bad since we had no Deng, Betts, George, Midgley, or Larkai. Guess what? The first 4 names there could well be in starting 5! Like i've said before we are underdogs against Israel, but im sure we will put up a good fight. Our last friendly is tommorow versus Portugal hopefully the lads can finish on a high going into the qualifiers.
did bosnia have all their players?Not that they are the strongest,but I am sure that like GB other nat teams might not have their best either thats why we shouldnt make much about not having the starters.besides Deng has not played atall so we shouldnt count him as a starter cause he might not play atall if chicago dont want.thats the problem with european players going to play in the nba ,they start missing games and competitions with their national team.
Israel will be very tough and I am sure the fans will be great.I hope that in London the fans will turn up.Its a shame and a sorry state of affairs that more people will go and see two low key nba teams play an exhibition with no passion than this important qualifying game that will attract as much press in this country as a shoplifting incident in the isle of scilly would!a bigger sham that the uk press will give more attention to the pickup game mentioned above.

la bomba
08-30-2008, 06:25 AM
In ACB.com the spanish league website there is a headlining article on Great Britain, Thats more that they know about GB in Spain now that in GB itself!! The article is plagued with unbelievable mistakes, especially the author can't grab the concept of what Great Britain is! he says that " Even though Archibald has played for Scotland before he is now playing for Great Britain!! and? he obviously thinks Great Britain is England,because he mentions that in Melbourne for the commonwealth games they palyed as England.Its like saying Betts played for England and is now playing for Great Britain! But then even in the Uk they think that GB is England,Unless they are talking of Tennis then it is Britain.lol ,so apart from his obvious lack of knowledge on what Great Britain is the article is pretty thorough.

inaminute23
08-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Bosnia were at full strength, but no Domercant or the captain (don't know name) due to injury i think so this was ag reat result for GB. We beat Portugal today, by just 1 point 1, 80-79. We shot the ball well, out rebounded them, and had less turnovers. They led most of the game i think purely because they were on fire from 3 point land, about 54% i think. Looks like our back court has really stepped up & that we have good rotation too. The team should only get better as Deng has been officially cleared to play. Betts is to come back aswell, but i think he has an injury. He has only played in belgium, i think, so i don't know if he will start or even be on the bench on Wednesday. I also think that Deng might even come off the bench wednesday too, however i think if he gets a couple of good trainig sessions in he might be ok, or adrenaline might kick in which will help. All in all a lot to look forward to & im optimistic we can now do well after 2 good performances.

la bomba
08-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Bosnia were at full strength, but no Domercant or the captain (don't know name) due to injury i think so this was ag reat result for GB. We beat Portugal today, by just 1 point 1, 80-79. We shot the ball well, out rebounded them, and had less turnovers. They led most of the game i think purely because they were on fire from 3 point land, about 54% i think. Looks like our back court has really stepped up & that we have good rotation too. The team should only get better as Deng has been officially cleared to play. Betts is to come back aswell, but i think he has an injury. He has only played in belgium, i think, so i don't know if he will start or even be on the bench on Wednesday. I also think that Deng might even come off the bench wednesday too, however i think if he gets a couple of good trainig sessions in he might be ok, or adrenaline might kick in which will help. All in all a lot to look forward to & im optimistic we can now do well after 2 good performances.
I dont think Deng has ever experienced tough team defence in european type basketball that might be a problem.Israel if they have yanev green,eliyahu,casspi,halperin,etc might be too strong.

b.jerk
08-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Great Brittan has a chance because the coaching sucks, some people blame halperin, yaniv green ect for bad decision but that's more of the coaching not preparing them than the player. Israel should be beating some of these teams by 20 but israel has a coach that benches Casspi for Matan Noar.

la bomba
08-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Great Brittan has a chance because the coaching sucks, some people blame halperin, yaniv green ect for bad decision but that's more of the coaching not preparing them than the player. Israel should be beating some of these teams by 20 but israel has a coach that benches Casspi for Matan Noar.
is the israel great britain on internet tv atall? myp2p maybe?

inaminute23
08-31-2008, 01:25 PM
is the israel great britain on internet tv atall? myp2p maybe?

Don't know, but i will try & find the live stream link, then post it here.

la bomba
08-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Don't know, but i will try & find the live stream link, then post it here.
thanks.any ideas from the israeli side bjerk?

inaminute23
08-31-2008, 02:31 PM
GB face an injury crisis. Betts is definately out & has flown back to London with a back injury. George, Midgley, & Larkai are also doubtful. If this is the case we will probably start with:

POPS - C
DENG - F
SULLIVAN - F
BOYD - G
REINKING - G

BENCH:

BOATENG - C
FREELAND - F
LEVEN - G
HART- G

It will be a mammoth task to beat Israel now, but if we come out of the games with many positives, hopefull that will stand us in good stead for the rest of the campaign

la bomba
08-31-2008, 04:56 PM
GB face an injury crisis. Betts is definately out & has flown back to London with a back injury. George, Midgley, & Larkai are also doubtful. If this is the case we will probably start with:

POPS - C
DENG - F
SULLIVAN - F
BOYD - G
REINKING - G

BENCH:

BOATENG - C
FREELAND - F
LEVEN - G
HART- G

It will be a mammoth task to beat Israel now, but if we come out of the games with many positives, hopefull that will stand us in good stead for the rest of the campaign
GB have a chance as their group is easier than the rest.look at Serbia,Italy group or France,turkey etc.

b.jerk
08-31-2008, 06:37 PM
thanks.any ideas from the israeli side bjerk?

Sport5 or channel 10

inaminute23
08-31-2008, 06:54 PM
live stream! The game is broadcast on Israel 1 state tv

http://www.fromil.com/tv/index.php?radio=1

It will automatically appear in full screen. A very good picture too!

This is a 4pm UK tip. I'll have to think of an excuse to get out of work early!

inaminute23
09-01-2008, 05:29 AM
http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000173.shtml

highlights of the home games can be found here

la bomba
09-01-2008, 06:50 AM
http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000173.shtml

highlights of the home games can be found here
what a sorry state we are in.not only do we not get to see away games,for our home games we get highlights!!

inaminute23
09-01-2008, 12:16 PM
what a sorry state we are in.not only do we not get to see away games,for our home games we get highlights!!

That's british basketball for you! Better than nothing, things can only get better.

la bomba
09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
That's british basketball for you! Better than nothing, things can only get better.
problem is i have been saying that for the last 12years and it hasn't!! maybe now it will though.The real dagger for me was when I went to see Guildford V eventual winners DKV in the ULEB cup at the Guildford Spectrum and it wasn't full!! if there were 1500 it was tops! Thats shameful. the Timberwolves played celtics in a crap boring pick up game at the o2 only weeks earlier and it was nearly full 15000 or whatever.So exactly what did that nba game do for british basketball? if they cant fill up a 2500 seater 4 weeks later??in a game that means something and has an english club involved.

inaminute23
09-01-2008, 04:39 PM
problem is i have been saying that for the last 12years and it hasn't!! maybe now it will though.The real dagger for me was when I went to see Guildford V eventual winners DKV in the ULEB cup at the Guildford Spectrum and it wasn't full!! if there were 1500 it was tops! Thats shameful. the Timberwolves played celtics in a crap boring pick up game at the o2 only weeks earlier and it was nearly full 15000 or whatever.So exactly what did that nba game do for british basketball? if they cant fill up a 2500 seater 4 weeks later??in a game that means something and has an english club involved.

It is very difficult for Bsketball in the uk to get media attention because in terms of media spotlight it is behind

Football
Cricket
Rugby
Horse racing
Motorsport
Tennis
Snooker
Boxing
Athletics
Darts!

I bet in Spains ome of these sports are even further down the list as basketball is in the UK. For example someone in Spain is saying "why can't Rugby be as huge in Spain as it is in the UK". Do you understand where im coming from? Basketball's biggest obstacle in the UK is other sports and also people's ignorance towards a fascinating sport.

la bomba
09-01-2008, 06:16 PM
It is very difficult for Bsketball in the uk to get media attention because in terms of media spotlight it is behind

Football
Cricket
Rugby
Horse racing
Motorsport
Tennis
Snooker
Boxing
Athletics
Darts!

I bet in Spains ome of these sports are even further down the list as basketball is in the UK. For example someone in Spain is saying "why can't Rugby be as huge in Spain as it is in the UK". Do you understand where im coming from? Basketball's biggest obstacle in the UK is other sports and also people's ignorance towards a fascinating sport.
I agree.But Rugby is not as worldwide a sport as basketball.six nations,southern hemisphere and Argentina.Cricket ?commonwealth countries.
Tennis?? what Tennis? you mean Wimbledon thats all! In Spain they also have Football,handball,Tennis,cycling etc.I think the biggest problem in the UK is not even all the other sports ahead of basketball(including Fencing probably)Its Football. Football alone kills everything else,even rugby league and rugby union.None of the rugby leagues in the UK is as big as basketball is in europe.My point is that its a worldwide sport and yet it is so low in the list of sports in the UK.Its not a complaint as much as it suprises me.In the Uk people are taller,it rains all the time,so ideal indoor sport,the americans play it(we seem to do everything the yanks do,like go to war etc),its tough and physical, it has all the ingredients.

pande
09-02-2008, 12:23 AM

Football

yes, it's definitely because of football

la bomba
09-03-2008, 09:25 AM
If the rumour that Gordon is going to a russian team is correct,that will be good news for Great Britain.There will be none of this "no you are not playing for your country(albeit adopted) this summer".

la bomba
09-03-2008, 11:41 AM
that link not working for me!
anywhere else where I can watch it?