PDA

View Full Version : Awesome 'Jailblazer' Stories

picc84
04-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Told by a writer who used to cover the team during the peak years. Here's an excerpt, and much more in the link. These guys were certifiable nuts!

Another time, in the visiting locker room in Dallas, I had Rasheed Wallace threaten to punch me after a playoff-game loss. Deadline was approaching, I’m the only writer in the locker room and I’m asking Rasheed questions, and he whips around, and tells me to get out of his space or he’s going to punch me out. At that point, his teammates are all looking to see how I react, and in no way am I going to back down. I’m looking at Rasheed, and thinking if he takes a swing I’m going to try and stuff him into the locker behind him if only because journalists everywhere need me to man up in that situation. Either that, or I’m going to get knocked out and blow my deadline. So I tell him I’m not moving. I just stand there, holding my notepad and recorder, and we’re staring at each other. He eventually storms past me to the shower, and while he’s gone Zach Randolph, a rookie then, leans in to me and says, “When ‘sheed comes back, make sure you don’t have your back to him. He’ll sucker punch you.” The great irony is that a month later Randolph sucker-punched Ruben Patterson during a practice breaking his eye socket. Someone was holding Patterson’s arms when Randolph threw the haymaker. There was a period of a few days after that incident where Randolph hid out at Dale Davis’ house because he feared that Patterson was going to try and shoot him.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=5319

Check out the story about the two foreigner players who were trying to sign to the blazers. The czech guy and the korean guy. Classic comedy awesomeness.

DuMa
04-11-2008, 04:12 PM
hahah those were the days.

InspiredLebowski
04-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Dale Davis, always the protector.

JordanL
04-11-2008, 04:21 PM
I like the story about Reuben Patterson stealing some guy's luggage. :oldlol:

That was the Jailblazers to a T.

picc84
04-11-2008, 04:24 PM
The luggage was there, why wouldn't he take it? :oldlol:

yeesterbunny
04-11-2008, 04:36 PM
wow....such a hostile environment. i wonder if pippen was crazy like that too when he was with portland...

Dasher
04-11-2008, 04:38 PM
There needs to be a televised Jailblazer reunion special.

Showtime
04-11-2008, 04:41 PM
There needs to be a televised Jailblazer reunion special.
Hosted by Springer.

JordanL
04-11-2008, 04:45 PM
wow....such a hostile environment. i wonder if pippen was crazy like that too when he was with portland...

Yeah, back in the Jailblazers days, the team was hostile to fans even.

One time, a fan came to the Rose Garden with a sign that read "Trade Whitsit", who was the moron of a GM we were stuck with. He was almost singly responsible for the mess of personalities and players we had, and the tone the franchise took.

The fan was ejected from the game for waving the sign.

The people in Portland were so upset by that incident, that Paul Allen basically fired Whitsit, (and by fired I mean made him the GM of the Seahawks), even with no proper replacement, which led to the few years where our coach/GM situation was pretty weird.

Course now things are different, but man, the whole franchise was downright dispicable back in the day.

InspiredLebowski
04-11-2008, 04:48 PM
I just wanted to say current genius GM Kevin Pritchard is from Bloomington, IN. We're still the Mecca of basketball.

JordanL
04-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I just wanted to say current genius GM Kevin Pritchard is from Bloomington, IN. We're still the Mecca of basketball.

:)

He also did work on the Spurs for a while.

But yeah, Pritchard is easily GM of the year... possibly GM of the last two years.

InspiredLebowski
04-11-2008, 04:57 PM
:)

He also did work on the Spurs for a while.

But yeah, Pritchard is easily GM of the year... possibly GM of the last two years.

The Blazers give me much hope as a Pacer fan. They were in much worse shape with the off the court problems than we currently are, and they turned it all around 180 degrees pretty quickly. If they don't win a title within the next 6 or so years then either someone got seriously injured or the league really is rigged.

Then again we have Larry Bird running our franchise. :cry:

Myth
04-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I miss those days......................... wait? No I don't!

Dasher
04-11-2008, 06:28 PM
I wish I could have seen Ha swing that staff. That fight had to be an awesome sight.

Myth
04-11-2008, 06:49 PM
I wish I could have seen Ha swing that staff. That fight had to be an awesome sight.

Too bad he turned it over just like the ball.

Dasher
04-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Too bad he turned it over just like the ball.
:oldlol: That's a good one. I used to make him into a beast on 2k6 or 7.

RoseCity07
04-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Funnny how no Blazer actually ever went to jail yet Kobe was nearly convicted of rape and paid the woman off to drop everything.

Valliant13
04-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Funnny how no Blazer actually ever went to jail yet Kobe was nearly convicted of rape and paid the woman off to drop everything.

I am as big a Kobe hater as anyone....but that is such a pathetic attempt to deflect very justified criticism of one of the most dysfunctional teams of all time. You have a an amazing team full of high character guys now...put down the old homer bitterness and face the reality of the past.

And Ruben Paterson was a convicted sex offender...so don't play the "wronged innocent victim card",

JordanL
04-11-2008, 10:07 PM

You're kidding, right? They may have not gone to jail, but several of them were convicted, something Kobe was not.

The Jailblazers were a complete disgrace, and any attempt to argue otherwise isn't homerism, (Because this city pretty much was disgusted with them too), it's pathology.

Myth
04-11-2008, 10:09 PM
And Ruben Paterson was a convicted sex offender...

Exactly what I was going to say.

RoseCity07
04-11-2008, 10:52 PM
I am as big a Kobe hater as anyone....but that is such a pathetic attempt to deflect very justified criticism of one of the most dysfunctional teams of all time. You have a an amazing team full of high character guys now...put down the old homer bitterness and face the reality of the past.

And Ruben Paterson was a convicted sex offender...so don't play the "wronged innocent victim card",

OH STFU...Kobe raped a woman, Odom is a pot head. Ruben Patterson was accused by his wife. I know the Blazers were bad, just shouldn't be brought up by a Laker fan. I guess I hold a special hate for rapists.

A Roc 23
04-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Anyone have links to other Jailblazer stories?

Those were hilarious and scary at the same time.

Solid Snake
04-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Dale Davis, always the protector.

The Great Protector, just like Finlay.

yeesterbunny
04-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Anyone have links to other Jailblazer stories?

Those were hilarious and scary at the same time.

Yeah seriously. You can totally see how bad the chemistry/trust were between the teammates. They had to worry about their teammates killing them 'n stuff.....that is just...sad...

SHEED_ gangsta
04-11-2008, 11:54 PM
was'nt JR RIDER a part of that team for a hot minute? that team was straight thuggin' ****in badass young Sheed was a MONSTER

Myth
04-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Ruben Patterson was accused by his wife.

I believe it was his child's nanny that he raped.

Myth
04-12-2008, 12:10 AM
was'nt JR RIDER a part of that team for a hot minute? that team was straight thuggin' ****in badass young Sheed was a MONSTER

Surprisingly JR was part of the team before they truly became the Jail Blazers. Though JR kind of was the start of it.

Hammertime
04-12-2008, 12:11 AM
was'nt JR RIDER a part of that team for a hot minute?

Hot minute? He was there for 3 years. Shockingly, the team actually had a better reputation back then.

Hammertime
04-12-2008, 12:13 AM
I remember a magazine story, about 10 years ago, before he was dominating the prison leagues, that talked about Rider and his time in Minnesota. Apparently, one year the pipes at his house burst 20-odd times so he couldn't make it to practice.

Lamar Doom
04-12-2008, 01:23 AM
great post, thank you, love this sh*t

MarloStanfield
04-12-2008, 01:52 AM
funny stuff...i remember a story about sheed or bonzi pegging randolph in the face with the ball...wish i had a link

RoseCity07
04-12-2008, 02:45 AM
I believe it was his child's nanny that he raped.

I got that mixed up with the domestic abuse of his wife. Patterson always reminded me of Mike Tyson. They are both psycho.

guy
04-12-2008, 03:24 AM
OH STFU...Kobe raped a woman, Odom is a pot head. Ruben Patterson was accused by his wife. I know the Blazers were bad, just shouldn't be brought up by a Laker fan. I guess I hold a special hate for rapists.

OMG Odom's a pothead, he should go to jail with all the rapists and murderers. Seriously, how are you going to compare a pothead to a sex offender? Half of the people on this board are probably potheads.

MarloStanfield
04-12-2008, 03:30 AM
OMG Odom's a pothead, he should go to jail with all the rapists and murderers. Seriously, how are you going to compare a pothead to a sex offender? Half of the people on this board are probably potheads.
not to mention half of the league...

Lamar Doom
04-12-2008, 03:32 AM
I'm high

A Roc 23
04-12-2008, 03:49 AM
I'm high
:cheers:

Run&Gun=Fun
04-12-2008, 04:29 AM
I remember reading a story about the Blazers after a loss were watching another game in the locker room and taking bets with each other about the outcome.
Pippen walked in and went nuts at them.

Imagine being drafted to that team in the Jailblazers prime.

Mamba
04-12-2008, 04:53 AM
isn't something like 60% of all teenagers have tried marijuana?

and ill fight tot the death to prove its better for you then alcahol. it comes from the ground its got to be good.

reppy
04-12-2008, 04:59 AM
funny stuff...i remember a story about sheed or bonzi pegging randolph in the face with the ball...wish i had a link

I'm pretty sure it was Rasheed Wallace that threw a ball at Ruben Boumjte-Boumjte while he was practicing free throws. That pissed me off pretty good. Here's a guy actually spending time working on his game, and one of the few players on that team that was stayed out of trouble, and Sheed is busting his balls like that.

I also remember hearing a story about Bonzi Wells telling Conzanzo (I think) that he was going to have his boys take care of him.

For awhile, Bonzi was taking a lot of heat. The fans were booing the team for being dysfunctional, and then Bonzi came out with a quote basically dismissing them, saying they'd boo in the arenas, but still come up and ask him for his autograph. Very unfriendly towards the fans.

I also recall hearing a story about an alarm at Damon Stoudamire's house going off. Police went to investigate, found the front door open, and looked inside to find a pound (or some large amount) of weed on the table. They weren't able to press charges since they basically intruded on his property.

One of the lesser-known facts about Zach Randolph punching Ruben Patterson revolve around a couple things. First, Zach and Ruben had been wrestling (either some time earlier or at that moment) for fun. Ruben got pissed. I don't know the order these events occured in, but I know Patterson and Qyntel Woods ended up getting into it at a practice, and I believe it was then that Randolph sucker-punched Patterson.

While we're on the topic of Woods ..... while he was being investigated for dog fighting, Zach Randolph was trying to harass/threaten the guy that had reported it to the police. This is the type of **** you'd expect from a Sopranos episode, not a basketball team.

RoseCity07
04-12-2008, 05:01 AM

Oh I guess that makes it alright then.:rolleyes:

RoseCity07
04-12-2008, 05:09 AM
isn't something like 60% of all teenagers have tried marijuana?

and ill fight tot the death to prove its better for you then alcahol. it comes from the ground its got to be good.

No it's not. It's not better for you in any way. There are links between Marijuana smoking and Schizophrenia. A lot of older pot smokers develop serious anxiety disorders and I happen to know a few that take anxiety medication, both smoke recreationally. Smoking is never going to be a good thing no matter how you try and rationalize it.

kidachi
04-12-2008, 05:23 AM
i wish the Jailblazers era continued..:)

El Kabong
04-12-2008, 07:43 AM
I remember hearing a story during practice Ruben Bouijme Bouijme (I can't remember how to spell his name) was up one end of the court practacing freethrows. Then Rasheed Wallace came up behind him and threw a basketball as hard as he could right into his back. And while Ruben was on the ground in pain, Wallace and Patterson walked off laughing.

dirkdiggler41
04-12-2008, 07:52 AM
I thought it said "awesome jailbait story". ahh, crap

kumquat
04-12-2008, 08:16 AM
I remember reading a story about the Blazers after a loss were watching another game in the locker room and taking bets with each other about the outcome.
Pippen walked in and went nuts at them.

Imagine being drafted to that team in the Jailblazers prime.

Jermaine O'neal, Zach Randolph and Qyntel Woods

bumpyknucks
04-12-2008, 09:04 AM
A lot of older pot smokers develop serious anxiety disorders and I happen to know a few that take anxiety medication, both smoke recreationally

Its the chicken or the egg argument. They could have had anxiety problems and thats why they started smoking in the first place.

RoseCity07
04-12-2008, 09:07 AM
I never understood the whole chicken or egg question. It's pretty obvious the egg came first.

20 Dimes A Game
04-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Man Sheed has chilled.

guy
04-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Oh I guess that makes it alright then.:rolleyes:

When did I say it was okay? I'm not trying to have a debate with you about the ethics of using marijuana. The point is though you can't compare a pothead, who does nothing else wrong, to any of the jailblazers. Your trying to say that the current Lakers are comparable to the Jailblazers, so Laker fans shouldn't say anything about them? Are you serious? Anybody could talk about them cause that Blazer team was the worse group of characters ever in NBA history and the current Lakers are a preschool class compared to them. Get over it.

picc84
04-12-2008, 12:01 PM

Wow. What an enormous jerk. I wasnt trying to hate on the blazers, just got a kick out of the stories and thought you guys might find it funny too.

My bad.

SCREWstonRockets
04-12-2008, 01:03 PM
No it's not. It's not better for you in any way. There are links between Marijuana smoking and Schizophrenia. A lot of older pot smokers develop serious anxiety disorders and I happen to know a few that take anxiety medication, both smoke recreationally. Smoking is never going to be a good thing no matter how you try and rationalize it.
Not to derail the thread but I hope you aren't saying alcohol is better for your body than weed :oldlol:. How many weed related deaths do you know of as opposed to alcohol related deaths? It's damn near impossible to OD from weed but you can die from alcohol poisioning. Why else is there "Medical Marijuana". Ask cancer patients, who smoke weed to help with their kimo, if Marijuana helps them out not. Not to mention that Scientist have done stuidies and said that Marijuana does not cause lung cancer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."
I'm not saying weed is the greatest ever but it's not the horrible drug that lots of people make it out to be. Although, it's been known to make people pass out on the streets while dogs piss all over them.

Dasher
04-12-2008, 01:09 PM
You can not pay off a rape case, or drop it once the claim is officially made. After a rape claim is made the choice of pressing charges does not exist anymore for the accuser. If the victim in Colorado case had recanted she would have faced charges herself and a possible libel suit from Kobe.

mlh1981
04-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Something tells me that the current Knicks squad has a similar level of disfunction, esp. with Zach Randolph around. I can only IMAGINE some of the stuff that probably goes on behind the scenes.

and was it in his Portland days that Stoudamire was busted for carrying pot in aluminum foil through an airport? :oldlol:

ForceOfNature
04-12-2008, 01:22 PM

R u kidding?

Jail Blazers who were arrested:

JR Rider
Rasheed Wallace
Ruben Patterson
Damon Stoudamire
Scottie Pippen
SHAWN KEMP!
Zach Randolph
Darius Miles
Gary Grant
Rod Strickland
Erick Barkley
Sebastian Telfair

There were probably more than that too...

Dasher
04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Something tells me that the current Knicks squad has a similar level of disfunction, esp. with Zach Randolph around. I can only IMAGINE some of the stuff that probably goes on behind the scenes.

and was it in his Portland days that Stoudamire was busted for carrying pot in aluminum foil through an airport? :oldlol:
You'd think NBA players would have a marijuana network of a approved dealers, so that they could cop in every city,and not have to try to smuggle weed from town to town.

leopoldstotch
04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
yup. those years with portland were pretty bad. maybe it was a good thing the lakers came back and beat them along the way to win their 1st championship. what if the blazers went ahead and beat indiana in the finals? that would have been very bad.

also, do you think sabonis caved in, and became a thug like the rest of them? that would be ridiculous.

i believe the new "portland" trail blazers in 2010 will be the new york knicks. that team will be filled with thugs. i have a good feeling about that.

ShawnieMac06
04-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Well, besides the Isiah Thomas sexual harassment trial (and that in itself was one hell of a story), the dysfunctional personalities, I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot more reported. The Knicks (and the MSG teams in general) have this ironclad media policy (much like the Jail Blazers) that basically blacks out the behind the scenes stuff that doesn't get reported.

iamgine
04-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Whoa apparently Darius Miles was one of the second coming of Jordan.

guy
04-12-2008, 02:23 PM
R u kidding?

Jail Blazers who were arrested:

JR Rider
Rasheed Wallace
Ruben Patterson
Damon Stoudamire
Scottie Pippen
SHAWN KEMP!
Zach Randolph
Darius Miles
Gary Grant
Rod Strickland
Erick Barkley
Sebastian Telfair

There were probably more than that too...

Pippen was arrested too?

Kebab Stall
04-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Pippen was arrested too?
I don't think he was arrested, but he was caught drinking under the influence. I think the charges were dropped though.

Zak
04-12-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't think he was arrested, but he was caught drinking under the influence. I think the charges were dropped though.

lol, driving.

Myth
04-12-2008, 04:43 PM
also, do you think sabonis caved in, and became a thug like the rest of them? that would be ridiculous.

When the local beat writers wrote about how bad the Blazers were, they tried to find something bad about each guy. Sabonis' thing was that he came with his wife who was notorious for getting drunk and then driving on the wrong side of the road because she forgot we drive in the right lanes here.

chocolatethunder
04-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Not to derail the thread but I hope you aren't saying alcohol is better for your body than weed :oldlol:. How many weed related deaths do you know of as opposed to alcohol related deaths? It's damn near impossible to OD from weed but you can die from alcohol poisioning. Why else is there "Medical Marijuana". Ask cancer patients, who smoke weed to help with their kimo, if Marijuana helps them out not. Not to mention that Scientist have done stuidies and said that Marijuana does not cause lung cancer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

I'm not saying weed is the greatest ever but it's not the horrible drug that lots of people make it out to be. Although, it's been known to make people pass out on the streets while dogs piss all over them.

You may want to read this. I am not against smoking pot. I'm not a weed smoker anymore, and I do think that alcohol is worse than weed. If anyone thinks that inhaling smoke of any kind will have little or no adverse effects on your body, especially your lungs, then you have to be nuts.
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Psychiatry/Addictions/tb/8096

anylee36
09-03-2008, 12:03 AM
rofl

papa-101
09-03-2008, 01:52 AM
The Randolph story is a classic haha

Horde of Temujin
09-03-2008, 01:57 AM

ingesting aluminum (i.e. soda cans, chewing gum wrappers) leads to alzheimers disease by attacking brain cells.
marijuana prevents alzheimers disease by coating brain cells with fat tissue

this is a stretch but what the heck: therefore smoking marijuana regularly is safer than drinking canned soda regularly

CelticForce1349
09-03-2008, 03:33 AM
Horrible stuff for the city of Portland and the NBA. I made a comment a few days ago about this type of trashy NBA players and how the league needs to get rid of the thugs, and some guy on here tried to accuse me of racism!

I am still bothered by the fact that the dude took it as a swipe against black people. LMAO. How can anyone read these stories and think these idiots are good for the pro basketball?