PDA

View Full Version : Best way to gain weight

White Chocolate
05-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I've been struggling to gain weight(muscle). I gained some weight recently, but that's because I've been eating anything and everything. I'm 6'2" 160. I started working out last week and am hoping to get to about 175-180. I don't have large bones, so it will be difficult. Any advice would be appreciated.

rezznor
05-05-2008, 07:57 PM
drink your protein shakes within 30 min after your work out. you need to take in more calories then you burn throughout the day.

White Chocolate
05-05-2008, 07:58 PM
drink your protein shakes within 30 min after your work out. you need to take in more calories then you burn throughout the day.

I don't have any protein shakes, though my garage is loaded with tuna. If I stick with tuna, how many cans would I need?

KeylessEntry
05-05-2008, 08:01 PM
300 cans of tuna should get you where you need to go, if you eat fast enough.

Mr_Basketball#1
05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for making this thread. I'm struggling with the same thing. I'll be reading posts closely.

White Chocolate
05-05-2008, 08:06 PM
just eat a lot of ice cream.

eat eat and eat more than you can actually consume.

I actually do eat plenty of ice cream. Damn metabolism is too fast.

bigboi_baller
05-05-2008, 08:46 PM
1.5 Peanut Butter Sandwiches daily helped me out. Make sure to eat more, but eat more healthy food not junk food.

Drink your milk and your juices.

MarloStanfield
05-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah peanut is full of protein and sticks to your ribs.

Load up on carbs.

v-unit
05-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Whey protein, it's just natural protein to help boost your body, you can't stop the hard work though.

Dasher
05-05-2008, 08:50 PM
I go through three jars of PB a week. If you can stand the taste, eat chili after you workout.

kenuffff
05-05-2008, 11:51 PM
hmm if you're an exctomorph i think its called its almost impossible to gain a lot of weight or muscle. its genetics, but it depends on age, you fill out more in your late 20s

bigboi_baller
05-06-2008, 12:10 AM
I go through three jars of PB a week. If you can stand the taste, eat chili after you workout.
:cletus2

You serious? I'm sure that much can't be good for ya.

baseketball4life
05-06-2008, 01:27 AM
eat all day, make sure you eat something every 30 min to hour a day, you will gain weight... i did this after i got sick last year, i dropped to like 150 from 160, and i wanted to gain the 10 back so i ate, ate, and ate until a couple weeks passed and i put on 30 pounds... then i resumed my normal diet and dropped back to 160...

bottomline just eat, eat, eat... no way you wont GAIN weight

wTFaMonkey
05-06-2008, 01:28 AM
oreo cookies dip them into peanut butter

hateraid
05-06-2008, 02:01 AM
If you can't gain weight, you aren't consuming enough calories. Bottom line.

Dasher
05-06-2008, 09:44 AM
:cletus2

You serious? I'm sure that much can't be good for ya.
I am a pescan I, so it evens out.

VCMVP1551
05-06-2008, 10:14 AM
My goal is to gain 35 pounds in muscle. I have not gained anything yet and I am about 50 pounds underweight but I am trying to eat more steak/red meat, oatmeal, protein bars and protein shakes. I think that might work or atleast help me maintain my weight.

baseketball4life
05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
lets put it this way, if you cant GAIN weight, your problem is less physical and probably mental... seriously you have to be dumb to not gain weight

jamal99
05-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Buy creatine and proteins, workout properly and eat much (and right...)!

Hawker
05-06-2008, 01:34 PM
lets put it this way, if you cant GAIN weight, your problem is less physical and probably mental... seriously you have to be dumb to not gain weight

Have you ever heard of hard-gainer? IT's harder to gain weight then it is to lose it.

KeylessEntry
05-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Yes I am one of those guys who has a much harder time gaining weight than losing it.

In high school, I wa 6'0" and hovered around 160lbs most of the time. When I graduated, I moved out to California and started excercising a little bit more, I shed 20lbs in a few months and now I am stuck at 140lbs. No matter what I eat, what I do, i cant gain any of that weight back. Right now my diet consists of over 4000 calories a day, a big load of protein, and some heavy lifting twice a week, and I am very slowly starting to see gains but it is a slow, difficult, expensive process.

ForceOfNature
05-06-2008, 01:51 PM
There are three different body types though -
Ectomorph, Endomorph, and Mesomorph.

Endomorphs have low fat levels, but they have bigger bones and wider shoulders. They're more built. A good basketball example is... LeBron James.

Mesomorphs have large bone structure, they also have wide waists and gain weight easier. They have more fat storage. A good basketball example is... Brian Scalabrine.

Ectomorphs (which I would assume you are) have longer, skinnier arms and legs. They have a tougher time putting on weight. Good basketball examples include... Jamal Crawford, Kevin Durant, Tyson Chandler, and Shaun Livingston.

Basically if you want to put on muscle, I would suggest lifting weights (more weight, less reps), intaking protein (shakes, power bars, milk, whatever) shortly after your workout. Do this a few times a week. Just eat more protein.

If you want to put on fat, just eat more of everything and anything.

And for both, DO NOT DO cardio work (running, jogging, etc.). This will definitely not help the weight-gain process.

baseketball4life
05-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Have you ever heard of hard-gainer? IT's harder to gain weight then it is to lose it.
no such thing

if you consume 6000 calories there is no way you wont gain weight, and if you dont then consume more

VCMVP1551
05-06-2008, 01:57 PM
no such thing

if you consume 6000 calories there is no way you wont gain weight, and if you dont then consume more

You don't know what you are talking about. If a small guy like myself ate 6000 calories or more I'd get sick. If you eat until you get sick then you aren't helping anything because you'll likely throw up anyway.

Hawker
05-06-2008, 02:18 PM
no such thing

Dude that's what ****ing bodybuilders eat bro.

VCMVP1551
05-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Dude that's what ****ing bodybuilders eat bro.

He just has no idea what he's talking about. If it were that simple everyone would do it.

Junny
05-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Rice Rice Rice. Should I repeat? Rice. Carbo, protein, all kinds of shyt, tastes great, easy to eat a buttload of them. Rice. Rice Rice. That's how I've become big & buff (ie fat).

White Chocolate
05-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Ectomorphs (which I would assume you are) have longer, skinnier arms and legs. They have a tougher time putting on weight. Good basketball examples include... Jamal Crawford, Kevin Durant, Tyson Chandler, and Shaun Livingston.

That would be me. Very long arms(can almost touch a 8' ceiling flat-footed) and very long legs. My metabolism is very fast.

VCMVP1551
05-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Gaining weight might be hard for some people, but losing weight is still harder... If losing weight was easier, you'd have a larger percentage of skinny people in the US.

No you wouldn't.

America has so many obese people because people are too lazy to cook their own food and buy fast food a handful of times per week. Add that to the fact that so many people don't have physical jobs.

With the exception of someone with a thyroid condition or someone who is morbidly obese...not losing weight is just because someone is lazy and doesn't want to give up certain foods.

baseketball4life
05-06-2008, 03:10 PM
You don't know what you are talking about. If a small guy like myself ate 6000 calories or more I'd get sick. If you eat until you get sick then you aren't helping anything because you'll likely throw up anyway.
i was a small guy too moron

i use to weigh 135 for 6'0 in height, then i started consuming a **** load of calories and the weight started pooring on... i normally took in like 2500-3000 cal, then i upped that # to 5000 range, and u wont throw anything up, just pace yourself... if you throw up after pacing your way to 5000 cal a day you probably have anorexia or bulimia which is why you cant add on weight

for example, i would eat a different fast food place almost everyday and eat a meal that was 1000 cal plus in itself, sure it may be unhealthy but if you're telling me that if you eat tons of fast food/junk food/candy/and consume a TON of calories and you wont gain weight then you're retarded...

VCMVP1551
05-06-2008, 03:38 PM
i was a small guy too moron

i use to weigh 135 for 6'0 in height, then i started consuming a **** load of calories and the weight started pooring on... i normally took in like 2500-3000 cal, then i upped that # to 5000 range, and u wont throw anything up, just pace yourself... if you throw up after pacing your way to 5000 cal a day you probably have anorexia or bulimia which is why you cant add on weight

for example, i would eat a different fast food place almost everyday and eat a meal that was 1000 cal plus in itself, sure it may be unhealthy but if you're telling me that if you eat tons of fast food/junk food/candy/and consume a TON of calories and you wont gain weight then you're retarded...

I eat fast food but if I eat too much of it I get awful heartburn or I get sick. It doesn't work for everyone. Some people can gain weight and some can't really. What is your body fat % because I'd prefer to gain more muscle because gaining a ton of fat wouldn't make me much healthier..just heavier.

I also can't always "pace myself" to 5,000-6,000 calories. Sometimes I work from 7:00 to 3:00 with no time for breakfast and no lunchbreaks and other times I don't just sit at home eating all day.

All you have to generally do is eat a lot of chicken, beef, vegetables, fruits, and take protein shakes.

Yeah well I eat protein bars, oatmeal, red meat, fruit, protein drinks and I am losing weight not gaining it.

baseketball4life
05-06-2008, 03:51 PM
I eat fast food but if I eat too much of it I get awful heartburn or I get sick. It doesn't work for everyone. Some people can gain weight and some can't really. What is your body fat % because I'd prefer to gain more muscle because gaining a ton of fat wouldn't make me much healthier..just heavier.

I also can't always "pace myself" to 5,000-6,000 calories. Sometimes I work from 7:00 to 3:00 with no time for breakfast and no lunchbreaks and other times I don't just sit at home eating all day.

well agreed, its different for different people, at the time i was a senior in HS with no job so i had a lot of free time... i can see how its different but its worked for a lot of people i know

i havent checked my % body fat in a while but im 6'0 160, last time i checked it was 7 or 8%

using one of those online body fat calculators that ask for weight and waist size i got 8% just now but i dont know how accurate that is

jamal99
05-06-2008, 06:40 PM
i got skinny because of growth, wasn't skinny as a kid and now is hard for me to gain weight...

White Chocolate
05-07-2008, 01:40 AM
no such thing

That's impossible unless you weigh about 300 pounds. If I ate that much, I'd explode.

baseketball4life
05-07-2008, 04:00 AM
That's impossible unless you weigh about 300 pounds. If I ate that much, I'd explode.
thats weird, when i was 135 im 6'0, 5000 cal was pretty hard, but i didnt feel sick or nothing, got up to my desired weight 160, and stopped that 5000 stuff and went back down to a normal diet... guess as VC says it depends on the person

JEFFERSON MONEY
05-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Hateraid summed it up to a tee.

Try taking napz, after your post-workout meal. Sumo wrestlerz require this within their training (but then again they wake up at the crack of dawn), and it retainz weight; as food is absorbed quickly, and due to the lack of movement; the weight is as well.

Peanut butter, milk, whole grainz, starchy vegetables, a good steak once in a while, liberal portionz of chicken, fish, soup, pasta, alongside the NECESSARY WATER, fruits, veggies will get you to your goal.

Also, down not one, not two, but THREE eggs for breakfast if you're not suffering from bad cholesterol. Oatmeal alongside that is awesome.

Phuck the supplements, IMO.

Go for four strong, well-balanced meals; try not to twitch too much, and despite what ForceofNature (textbook pseudo-intellectual howardnutgobbling idiot) said; DO CARDIO. Yes it will slow the gaining process slightly, but it's far better to be in shape and maintain that cardiovascular endurance; running coordination; then just get "Big." Matter of fact, if you're skipping cardio; you'll be in a MUCH WORSE state than your natural skinny form.

Lift hard, and remember P.A.T.I.E.N.C.E. The grass is greener on the other side; and even an albino-chocolate skinny b!tch like yourself envokez envy among many fatties around. Best of luck!

mchappy11
05-07-2008, 03:52 PM
I would guess that a great way to gain weight is to eat a PB&J prior to going to bed so that the weight will help to add body weight and would turn to muscle once you lift.

Tarik One
05-07-2008, 04:52 PM
A Double Whopper w/cheese meal has 1800 calories with is just about the same amount of calories you need for an entire day. Just make three trips to BK for a few weeks and you'll see some results easily.

White Chocolate
05-07-2008, 04:53 PM
A Double Whopper w/cheese meal has 1800 calories with is just about the same amount of calories you need for an entire day. Just make three trips to BK for a few weeks and you'll see some results easily.

I don't eat that sh!t. I like my normal cholestorol.

ForceOfNature
05-21-2008, 06:29 PM
I've been struggling to gain weight(muscle). I gained some weight recently, but that's because I've been eating anything and everything. I'm 6'2" 160. I started working out last week and am hoping to get to about 175-180. I don't have large bones, so it will be difficult. Any advice would be appreciated.

Take protein shakes. Work out, then mix a scoop of this with milk: http://www.cheapuksupplements.com/shop/shopimages/products/normal/optimum-100-whey-gold-5lb.jpg

Basically, it's 100% whey protein.

dynasty23
05-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Im not really interesting in gaining weight but whats the best way to add more muscle (if that makes sense) I mean getting a bit more toned. I heard doing a lot of cardio helps.. but is there anything else?

ihatetimthomas
05-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Im not really interesting in gaining weight but whats the best way to add more muscle (if that makes sense) I mean getting a bit more toned. I heard doing a lot of cardio helps.. but is there anything else?

Lighter weight, and more reps in general will make you more ripped when lifting. And cardio to cut the excess fat to let the muscles be seen

Franco Hamilton
05-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Lighter weight, and more reps in general will make you more ripped when lifting. And cardio to cut the excess fat to let the muscles be seen

Correct! And if you would like to add sheer muscle mass, then it's moderate-high weight/moderate reps, medium periods of rest (90 seconds or so).

Don't know the specifics, but you do want the testosterone and ATP energy raging inside your body, and don't ever go longer than 40 minutes. Limit cardio as well. Diet is big, and honestly thinness is a blessing, just like being left-handed, possessing a superior IQ, having clear skin etc.. Growing up, I had weight problems because fresh fruits/vegetables were nowhere to be found? You should be grateful!

ekzistenz
05-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Hateraid summed it up to a tee.

Try taking napz, after your post-workout meal. Sumo wrestlerz require this within their training (but then again they wake up at the crack of dawn), and it retainz weight; as food is absorbed quickly, and due to the lack of movement; the weight is as well.

That napping thing sounds pretty interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Peanut butter, milk, whole grainz, starchy vegetables, a good steak once in a while, liberal portionz of chicken, fish, soup, pasta, alongside the NECESSARY WATER, fruits, veggies will get you to your goal.

Also, down not one, not two, but THREE eggs for breakfast if you're not suffering from bad cholesterol. Oatmeal alongside that is awesome.

Yep, definitely. When I was gaining weight I was eating loads of eggs, milk, cottage cheese and muesli. Also in addition to that nuts of all types are great for protein too. I was eating a lot of pecans, peanuts and almonds.

Phuck the supplements, IMO.

Go for four strong, well-balanced meals; try not to twitch too much, and despite what ForceofNature (textbook pseudo-intellectual howardnutgobbling idiot) said; DO CARDIO. Yes it will slow the gaining process slightly, but it's far better to be in shape and maintain that cardiovascular endurance; running coordination; then just get "Big." Matter of fact, if you're skipping cardio; you'll be in a MUCH WORSE state than your natural skinny form.

I wouldn't forgo supplements. I'd definitely say that protein shakes, either pre or post workout helped me to gain weight. I generally have a shake with bananas, protein powder, milk, pecans, yoghurt and not only does it taste good but it has heaps of protein in it.

I've also heard that eating 6 smaller meals is better than eating 4 bigger meals, although I'm not too sure whether it's true or not. Either way, eating as much as possible all the time is the only sure way for gaining weight. If you think you eat a lot and you aren't gaining weight, you are most likely wrong. Take time to create a diary of your meals and try to create a meal plan and follow it. There are plenty of sites out there that will help you with this.

With regards to cardio, I wouldn't be avoiding it, but I wouldn't be going out of my way for it either. Lifting by itself should be enough to keep from gaining most of the excess fat especially if you're playing basketball as well. I wouldn't be doing any cardio on top of this as the thread starter has mentioned that he has a very had time gaining weight.

For the record I'm 5'9 and went from 143 to 165 pounds (65 to 75 kg) I'd say I gained about 15-17 pounds (7-8 kg) of muscle.

SourPatchKids
08-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Naps, eh?

LA_Showtime
08-19-2012, 12:15 AM
What a stupid thread. You eat, moron. A lot.

Eat Like A Bosh
08-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Gaining weight is so much easier than losing it.

10. Skip Breakfast. This may sound like a strange way to gain fat, but if you skip meals (especially breakfast) your body can think it

daballa13
08-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Eat a lot of food and lift heavy weights. Overtraining is vastly overthought especially when it concerns a young beginner which I assume you are. Focus on heavy compound movements and eat lots, **** that protein shake shit, unless you cant stomach eating meat and fish too much and have trouble getting in your daily protein requirements maybe invest in some cheap protein powder. That's all there is to it, if you ever think you aren't making gains, eat more, train harder, and get more rest if necessary.

Raz
08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Best way to gain weight

Eat white chocolate

alenleomessi
08-19-2012, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=Eat Like A Bosh]Gaining weight is so much easier than losing it.

10. Skip Breakfast. This may sound like a strange way to gain fat, but if you skip meals (especially breakfast) your body can think it

alenleomessi
08-19-2012, 12:01 PM
ughh i guess he was trolling

anyway do the exactly opposite of what he said and you will be fine

NastyCrossover1
08-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Find the leanest hamburger that you can , like 95% lean >

Eat two half pound burgers for breakfast with all the greese squeezed out and proceed to do 200 push ups.

Repeat for lunch, snack time and dinner unil you have consumed 4 lb of meat and knocked out 800 pushups.

Do whatever exercises you please just work you butt of until your muscles are damaged. The most important thing is to eat as many of the leanest dryest burgers possible. This will ensure that you add only calories and protein to your body with almost 0 fat.

The next day you'll be swole if you worked hard enough and ate harder.

daballa13
08-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Find the leanest hamburger that you can , like 95% lean >

Eat two half pound burgers for breakfast with all the greese squeezed out and proceed to do 200 push ups.

Repeat for lunch, snack time and dinner unil you have consumed 4 lb of meat and knocked out 800 pushups.

Do whatever exercises you please just work you butt of until your muscles are damaged. The most important thing is to eat as many of the leanest dryest burgers possible. This will ensure that you add only calories and protein to your body with almost 0 fat.

The next day you'll be swole if you worked hard enough and ate harder.

Your hilarious.