PDA

View Full Version : In 5 years from now, who will be a top team?

Kobe=MVP07`
05-15-2008, 12:55 PM
We all know anything can happen, like have 2 superstars traded to you [cough boston]

but in 5 years when all those "old good teams" have retired who do you think will be up there fighting it out in the conference finals?

In the west, i think the logical choices would be:

Portland -they will all be entering there primes, ODEN ROY and the pices around them

Horntets:Very yong now, nothing should happen but improvement in 5 years maybe a FA a draft pick..

Jazz: see hornets

Lakers: Kobe will be 34 [think MJ at 34] gasol will be 32 if lamar is here he will lalso be 32, and a healthy bynum should be coming into his prime, playoff experience will be high

East:

Orlando: no explanation needed if they can keep an improving dwite in his prime

the next 3 are more difficult.

Miami: Dwade with rose/beasly and a FA when marion leaves..

NY or NJ: Any team Lebron is on will be a top team

Pistons: i give enough respect and credit to joe dumars that when this group retires he would of slowly transitioned the pistons into a new group

Emile
05-15-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm pretty certain the Lakers will be there. Bynum obviously is the key. I have a feeling they"ll make a strong pitch for LBJ and perhaps even offer Bynum and Gasol for him because reportedly, Jerry Buss loves LeBron and thinks of him as his favorite player in the league.
I have a feeling he"ll give the Cavs whatever it takes. And then whatever stays there with LeBron will still make a great team.

But step by step, shall we. The team as it is, absolutely is elite in 5 years.
Kobe still a great all star, Bynum probably also an all star and Gasol and Odom if they stay will be what, 31-32 yrs old. Things are looking okay.

iggy>
05-15-2008, 01:13 PM
sixers

e-Thugstylez
05-15-2008, 01:19 PM
I can see the Jazz being a consistent Top 4 seed in the West for years to come. I'm itching to say the Hornets too, but I'll hold off on that for now. Really, the only "sure-shot" team I see there (5 years from now) is the Jazz.

FireMcFailPlease
05-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Wolves when we get Rose and Jefferson

PacerRaptor
05-15-2008, 01:30 PM
West: Portland
East: Atlanta

InspiredLebowski
05-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I have no idea. Probably New Orleans if they sign Paul to an extension. Portland if Oden heals fully, and doesn't become this decade's JO with injuries. Five years is a lifetime in the NBA.

elz
05-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Portland is a good choice if they can keep that team together

Orlando just because by then Dwight should be destroying everything in his path

I'd say Atlanta but I just don't see the payroll being big enough to keep those guys together. Especially if Josh Smith hits the open market... someone will overpay him.

New Jazzy Nets
05-15-2008, 01:38 PM
We all know anything can happen, like have 2 superstars traded to you [cough boston]

at least they gave up something [cough Lakers]

tsforthrees
05-15-2008, 01:40 PM
new orleans and utah will be the next great rivalry in the west, portland and LAL will be in the background a little bit.

orlando looks like they've got a great future, cleveland will have james at the peak of his prime by that time, so those two teams.

new orleans/utah/orlando/cleveland

flintstone
05-15-2008, 01:45 PM
The teams with the best owners, and the smartest general manager/presidents....these guys have the on/off switch.

guy
05-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Lakers: Kobe will be 34 [think MJ at 34]

Ummm, no what makes you think that? Jordan being able to play at that level at 34 is absolutely amazing, and most superstars players have not been able to do that. Just because Jordan did it, does not mean Kobe will, especially because if Kobe did it, it would be even more amazing. Unlike Jordan, who started in the NBA at 21 and took almost 2 years off before he was 34, Kobe has been playing since he was 18 and unless he does the same thing Jordan did, which I doubt, in 5 years he will be in his 17th season. What makes you think he won't be like Larry Bird or Charles Barkley, who were more injury prone by that age in their careers? Who knows, he might even be retired by then. Its definitely a possibility but its far from certain.

I agree with most of your list though. I'm not so sure about Detroit and Miami though, cause even though Joe Dumars is a good GM, all teams usually go through downs after their ups, and Dwyane Wade is way too injury prone and I highly doubt he will be good as he is now. I'd also add Atlanta to that list, and Cleveland. I think the chances of Lebron staying with Cleveland are probably better then him leaving. I think regardless of New York getting Lebron or not, they will get their $hit together by then and be a top team.

Aidan
05-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Portland will be great if Oden develops as he should.

Lakers will still be there or there abouts and whatver team has Lebron at that age will be a serious contender.

Silverbullit
05-15-2008, 01:55 PM
As long as Dirk plays the Mavericks are a playoff team. :D

Money makes the world go round, so nobody knows what will be in five years.

ihatetimthomas
05-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Blazers

Any team Lebron plays for

Lakers will be like the Spurs are today

dak121
05-15-2008, 02:15 PM
West: Lakers/Jazz/Hornet/Trail Blazers

East: ? (None of the teams are set up strongly for the next 5 years. It's wide open.)

Kobe=MVP07`
05-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Blazers

agreed!

UConnCeltics
05-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Blazers

Most likely the Knickerbockers.

e-Thugstylez
05-16-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm telling you guys, in the West the only real lock is the Jazz, maybe the Lakers. There's no guarantee that Paul will stay in NO. Timmy D will start his decline soon. Suns are slipping. T-Mac is never going to get out of the first round.

So yeah, Jazz. I wouldn't be so quick to say Portant will be a "top" team in 5 years. To me, "top" means higher seed going into the playoffs.

Sonic R
05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Pistons: i give enough respect and credit to joe dumars that when this group retires he would of slowly transitioned the pistons into a new group

[QUOTE=guy]

kidachi
05-16-2008, 12:39 PM
We can't tell.. we'll never know what would be the future key trades/signings..

Lebron23
05-16-2008, 12:55 PM
West: Lakers/Jazz/Hornet/Trail Blazers

East: ? (None of the teams are set up strongly for the next 5 years. It's wide open.)

Lebron James, Luol Deng, Drew Gooden, Kirk Hinrich and Tyrus Thomas :)

6 Championship Plus 6 Championship = 12 NBA Championship ( 3rd winningest franchise in NBA History)

ecthelion
05-16-2008, 01:21 PM
In 5 years from now, who will be a top team?

Where Jason Williams happens.
/thread.

kidachi
05-16-2008, 04:51 PM
In 5 years from now, who will be a top team?

Where Jason Williams happens.
/thread.

:ohwell:

SMH.

veilside23
05-16-2008, 05:10 PM
orlando will be there for sure atleast top two in the east that is if d12 stays there...

west: portland has a chance twolves has a chance as well. san antonio lakers and the jazz will always be there...

Kobe=MVP07`
05-16-2008, 05:19 PM
We can't tell.. we'll never know what would be the future key trades/signings..

Ofcourse! that is why i am asking, who you think will be in the upper tier in 5 years by the way the teams seem to be shaping out now..

if wade and lebron both go to memphis then... but it doesnt look like that will happen
what does look like it will happen is Oden bieng added on to a young slightly experienced and talented portland team that will improve..

Loki
05-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Ummm, no what makes you think that? Jordan being able to play at that level at 34 is absolutely amazing, and most superstars players have not been able to do that. Just because Jordan did it, does not mean Kobe will

Kobe fans assume a lot of things, and make comparisons to Jordan's career where none are warranted. You have Kobe fans suggesting that Kobe will play until age 39. :oldlol:

Washington, LA, Portland, Utah, NO, Toronto (provided some moves are made) and Cleveland look like the teams of the future (in no order).

shaoyut
05-16-2008, 09:11 PM
West: Portland
East: Atlanta
not atlanta

kidachi
05-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Wade and LeBron might work as a combo. :)

JPR
05-19-2008, 12:31 PM
It would be easy to say the Hornets but I am going to go with the Magic. That is unless, Dwight Howard continues to play scared in the playoffs against great competition. If Howard improves, like a young player with his size should, I'll go with the Magic but the Hornets will be right there.

In 5 years, the Celtics, Pistons, Spurs, ect. will all be finished.

hawkfan
05-19-2008, 12:34 PM
The Knicks, Grizzlies, Sonics.

JPR
05-19-2008, 12:35 PM
People saying the knicks...:oldlol:

JellyBean
05-19-2008, 12:38 PM
West:
Lakers
Trail Blazers
Jazz
Mavs
Suns
Spurs
Grizz
Timberwolves

Yes. My Timberwolves will be one of the top teams out West in 5 years.

East
Cavs
Miami
Atlanta
Orlando
Boston
Chicago
Detroit
Indiana

DaHeezy
05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I'd say Toronto. This discussions main variable is who has the best upper management. T.O. is a Frontcourt enforcer away from winning it all and I beleive their GM will pull it off.

kidachi
05-19-2008, 02:26 PM
In 5 years, the Celtics, Pistons, Spurs, ect. will all be finished.

IDK about the Pistons being done in 5 years,,
I may be biased. But as far as i can see, the Pistons are doing a great job on rebuilding.. they're on title contention while rebuilding.. and their guys for the future (Stuckey, Amir, Maxiell, Afflalo ETC.) are being mentored by present stars.

:cheers: to Joe D.

quasimoto
05-19-2008, 02:47 PM
People saying the knicks...:oldlol:
Who knows, they will have a lot of high draft picks in the near future and a big market/city to attract star players.

JPR
05-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Who knows, they will have a lot of high draft picks in the near future and a big market/city to attract star players.

that's true. and there are many people that say this...every single year because New York city is the biggest and richest in America. It's just something people say that really doesn't have any meaning. It's like an idiom or a metaphor. You know, the Knicks are going to be a good team in 5 years. We've been hearing that since the dawn of the media.

Their team has tons of overpaid players (the whole team from jeffries to jerome james), lazy (Eddy Curry and all the way down that list), crackheads (marbury), who smoke weed and commit crimes (randolph). So basically, they have the worst roster in the NBA and they've haven't added any great talent the past two years since they traded Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah to the Chicago Bulls for Eddy Curry. The Knicks should of drafted top 3 for the past several years but stupid trades did them in. And I didn't even mention Nate Robinson...lol

Rocketswin2013
03-25-2014, 12:44 PM
West:
Lakers
Trail Blazers
Jazz
Mavs
Suns
Spurs
Grizz
Timberwolves

Yes. My Timberwolves will be one of the top teams out West in 5 years.

East
Cavs
Miami
Atlanta
Orlando
Boston
Chicago
Detroit
Indiana
Lol.

Denitron
03-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Wade and LeBron might work as a combo. :)

:applause:

Xiao Yao You
03-25-2014, 07:00 PM
I can see the Jazz being a consistent Top 4 seed in the West for years to come. I'm itching to say the Hornets too, but I'll hold off on that for now. Really, the only "sure-shot" team I see there (5 years from now) is the Jazz.

Jazz have some nice young players but no star(s) that make them a sure shot. Might be losing their best all-around player this summer too.

oarabbus
03-25-2014, 07:01 PM
the team with Anthony Davis on it

IncarceratedBob
03-25-2014, 07:14 PM
The blazers were the right answer then and now lol

Always 5 years away