PDA

View Full Version : Joe Alexander - Best Overall Athlete In The Draft

d_white089
05-22-2008, 05:19 PM
I would take him as high as 4 to Seattle. Has unbelieveable potential. Became great with a player on his back and in his face. Freakishly athletic. He's blowing minds at workouts, and rising fast on draft boards. Improving ball handling and increasing his range.

EDIT:
For all the haters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQC0fBAbvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXIbHpMTyE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKY3ashUMI&feature=related

CaptainOwlClub
05-22-2008, 06:08 PM
that is going a little too far

i was just about to make a thread about how rose is the best athlete to come along into the draft since lebron- imo rose is the only prospect that could be considered for best athlete-

but after rose, i like westbrook & aurthur as the cream of the crop athleticaly

i like the thought of alexander as a lottery pick,and wasnt aware that he is as athletic as is sounds-

i had him sliding all the way to 26 to the rockets- sounds like he is moving much higher than that though- how about 23- orlando, 17-toronto, or portland/phoenix at 13/15

this guy alexander is a pure nba 3 imo- the weakest position in this years draft- only other pure 3 i even have on my list is davon jefferson- the rest are all imo sf/pf's like gallnari& donte green or pf/sf's like beasley , randolph - and i think batum is a sg & really think that buddinger and bill walker and rush are all pure sg's

so maybe alexander could be a top 10 pick- i had just never thought of it- i still see him in the teens to 20's

KNOW1EDGE
05-22-2008, 06:11 PM
is this a joke?

Alexander will be lucky to go in the 1st round.

Step off the bandwagon before it even gets started,

jamal99
05-22-2008, 06:38 PM
is this a joke?

Lucky to go in the 1st round?

Don't be a h8er... He will be a good player.

KNOW1EDGE
05-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Lucky to go in the 1st round?

Don't be a h8er... He will be a good player.

Im not a hater, not at all. I like the kid.

But I dont know when all this hype around him started, he played pretty well in the tournament but nothing amazing. Nothing to boost him into the lottery.

He will go in the 1st round. But unless he REALLY amazes, and i mean REALLY amazes some people in the pre-draft workouts, he wont be a lotto pick.

d_white089
05-22-2008, 08:17 PM
is this a joke?

You're insane. I GUARUNTEE he doesn't fall past 16.

And yeah, I may have went too far saying he's overall the best, but he's definitely the best leaper.

KNOW1EDGE
05-22-2008, 08:28 PM
You're insane. I GUARUNTEE he doesn't fall past 16.

And yeah, I may have went too far saying he's overall the best, but he's definitely the best leaper.

Who says? Who says he is "def the best leaper"?????

I think he is a definate lock for the 1st round. But I am def not hopping on his bandwagon. He doesnt seem special to me.

InspiredLebowski
05-22-2008, 08:51 PM
If Indy weren't loaded at the wing already, I'd consider him at #11.

fatboy11
05-22-2008, 09:29 PM
There's no way in hell this kid is the best overall athlete in the draft. Hell, Sonny Weems is a better athlete than Joe Alexander.

CaNt Be ToUcHeD
05-22-2008, 10:59 PM
he definately doesnt look bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdAYyqSOuPc

Efunk7
05-22-2008, 11:13 PM
There's no way in hell this kid is the best overall athlete in the draft. Hell, Sonny Weems is a better athlete than Joe Alexander.

from what i've been reading and what i've seen, alexander may be the best pure athlete in the draft...he is definitely the best athlete at the SF position i think with chase budinger a close second...there are some great athletes in this draft

PG: rose, bayless, westbrook
SG/SF: alexander, budinger, rush
PF/C: beasley, arthur, speights, jefferson, jordan

MochaUdoka
05-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Joe Alexander is a good athlete but I could not call him the 'best in the draft'.
Dude is 6'8" with pretty good hops and handles; he really fits the SF role very well at the pro level. I could see someone picking him up @ 14-20 but top 4? get real, he doesn't have that much potential. He has decent potential but I don't see him being anything more than starter-worthy at best. If he works on his game he should have a good career in the NBA, but don't expect so much out of him that warrents a top 4 pick

MochaUdoka
05-23-2008, 12:17 AM
from what i've been reading and what i've seen, alexander may be the best pure athlete in the draft...he is definitely the best athlete at the SF position i think with chase budinger a close second...there are some great athletes in this draft

PF/C: beasley, arthur, speights, jefferson, jordan

I can agree that he is the best pure athlete at SF, I think he is def. better than Budinger and Rush (I love Rush's game tho).

From what I hear Joe has a very good work ethic, so he should succeed. However he still needs to put in a lot of work. His best selling point right now is his athleticism and size combo. That and his mid-range game, which has greatly improved this past year and a main reason he is even being discussed as a lotto pick. In college he has been able to take many defenders off the dribble very well, but his handles are gonna need a lot of work for him to play from the outside in the pros. If a team wants him to eventually play some inside game, he is gonna need to get a lot stronger and work on his boxing out; he doesn't have much of a post game to speak of, but with his height he could eventually do it (but probably not).

Efunk7
05-23-2008, 01:21 AM
I can agree that he is the best pure athlete at SF, I think he is def. better than Budinger and Rush (I love Rush's game tho).

From what I hear Joe has a very good work ethic, so he should succeed. However he still needs to put in a lot of work. His best selling point right now is his athleticism and size combo. That and his mid-range game, which has greatly improved this past year and a main reason he is even being discussed as a lotto pick. In college he has been able to take many defenders off the dribble very well, but his handles are gonna need a lot of work for him to play from the outside in the pros. If a team wants him to eventually play some inside game, he is gonna need to get a lot stronger and work on his boxing out; he doesn't have much of a post game to speak of, but with his height he could eventually do it (but probably not).

i tend to agree, and i see him being able to at least reach the level josh smith is currently at...6'9" sf/pf combo with great athleticism and developing perimeter game...

d_white089
05-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Joe Alexander is a good athlete but I could not call him the 'best in the draft'.
Dude is 6'8" with pretty good hops and handles; he really fits the SF role very well at the pro level. I could see someone picking him up @ 14-20 but top 4? get real, he doesn't have that much potential. He has decent potential but I don't see him being anything more than starter-worthy at best. If he works on his game he should have a good career in the NBA, but don't expect so much out of him that warrents a top 4 pick

I didn't say he WOULD be drafted there..i say i would potentially CONSIDER him there if I were an NBA team, which i'm not.

d_white089
05-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Here ya go haters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQC0fBAbvY

d_white089
05-23-2008, 01:29 AM
Who says? Who says he is "def the best leaper"?????

I think he is a definate lock for the 1st round. But I am def not hopping on his bandwagon. He doesnt seem special to me.

I thought he would be lucky to go in the first man?...I"ll be checking the board for your astute opinion.

InspiredLebowski
05-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Bill Walker's a pretty crazy athlete.

fatboy11
05-23-2008, 08:13 AM

PF/C: beasley, arthur, speights, jefferson, jordanSonny Weems is more athletic than Brandon Rush. Any day of the week.

Better player? No. Better athlete? Yes.

fatboy11
05-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Here ya go haters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQC0fBAbvYhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIp40WgQXi0

Checkmate.

disco
05-23-2008, 08:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACR-9vrK09w

Posterize246
05-23-2008, 08:46 AM
according to chad ford from espn,joe alexander has recorded a 44" vertical. i think thats gotta be bogus but he does have some hops. he also said marreese speights has abused him in las vegas workouts. he won't go higher than 11,but he wont drop below 17

fatboy11
05-23-2008, 01:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACR-9vrK09w

That dunk was sick.

disco
05-23-2008, 01:10 PM
That dunk was sick.

Even though Ewing didn't even start for Georgetown, I think he'll get drafted. He has great basketball IQ and is a great athlete. He also improved his shot quite a lot in the last two seasons. And his name won't probably do him any harm either...

d_white089
05-23-2008, 01:19 PM
according to chad ford from espn,joe alexander has recorded a 44" vertical. i think thats gotta be bogus but he does have some hops. he also said marreese speights has abused him in las vegas workouts. he won't go higher than 11,but he wont drop below 17

That's a lie. Here's the article

Alexander's athleticism is jaw-dropping. He has a huge vertical jump and explodes off the floor. He has a little scar on his forehead just above his eyes where he hit his head on the rim in a dunk contest.

Where his leaping ability is really impressive is on his jump shot. He gets unbelievable elevation on his jumper. His jump shot is really a jump shot. With his huge leaping ability and high release -- it's virtually impossible to block.

Alexander showed excellent range on his jumper, draining NBA 3s with ease and showing a solid ability to shoot off the dribble. He still scissor-kicks a bit when he shoots which can throw him off balance, but as he smoothes out his form, he looks to be a deadly shooter.

People looking at his shaky 3-point shooting percentages in college might disagree with that assessment. He has not been a very accurate 3-point shooter in games.

That held somewhat true in a three-on-three matchup that pitted

Alexander versus Florida's Marreese Speights. Alexander struggled with Speights' height advantage and missed the majority of his shots. However, he warmed up a little at the end and hit a few big shots down the stretch for his team.

Anyway that has nothing to do with his leaping ability

fatboy11
05-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Even though Ewing didn't even start for Georgetown, I think he'll get drafted. He has great basketball IQ and is a great athlete. He also improved his shot quite a lot in the last two seasons. And his name won't probably do him any harm either...I agree.

Even if he doesn't get drafted, he'll be in camp with someone. He's in a tough position. He's not anywhere near as good as his father was, but he's still a good basketball player and could be NBA-caliber. It sucks because people don't see that most of the time. They just focus on him not being as good as Pat.

veilside23
05-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Joe Alexander seems like a gerald wallace to me if he really strives hard.

Efunk7
05-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Sonny Weems is more athletic than Brandon Rush. Any day of the week.

Better player? No. Better athlete? Yes.

good call on weems...i also forgout about giddens...

Efunk7
05-23-2008, 11:30 PM

i dont think he has 44" off a straight 2-footed vert, but i think he comes close off of an approach...

from draftexpress:

"Any question about just how freakishly athletic he is vertically were answered as we watched him perform a series of highlight reel caliber dunks as the day of workouts came to a close—360s, off the backboard, windmills, the Vince Carter “honey-dip“/elbow inside the rim, between the legs, taking off from a step inside the free throw line, he visibly wowed each and every one of the players on the sidelines with his antics. Just for good measure, he finished off by jogging lightly towards the basket, jumping off two feet and viciously head-butting the rim, as you can see in the photo. "

http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/General/1211177907.jpg

meanmonster
05-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Alexander is going to be the guy in this draft that goes around 8-16 pick and is the player that all the teams 3 through 7 or so wish they would have taken. He is legit. He has a nice shot, can finish, can post up, can handle, can play D. I could justify taking him as high as 6.

fatboy11
05-23-2008, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=Efunk7]i dont think he has 44" off a straight 2-footed vert, but i think he comes close off of an approach...

from draftexpress:

"Any question about just how freakishly athletic he is vertically were answered as we watched him perform a series of highlight reel caliber dunks as the day of workouts came to a close

d_white089
05-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Alexander is going to be the guy in this draft that goes around 8-16 pick and is the player that all the teams 3 through 7 or so wish they would have taken. He is legit. He has a nice shot, can finish, can post up, can handle, can play D. I could justify taking him as high as 6.

THANK YOU.

Cohnman15
05-24-2008, 01:15 AM
It'll be interesting to see where Alexander goes in the draft. If the draft was tomorrow, I think he would be picked in the teens somewhere.

Posterize246
05-24-2008, 10:30 AM
the nba is really getting too far into drafting 19 year old freshman. had this guy been a sophomore his stock would be up a little more

disco
05-24-2008, 10:57 AM
I really liked Alexander in the Big East and NCAA tournaments, but watching him dominating purely because of his physical superiority against college small forwards made me think are his skills actually anywhere near the NBA level. He's first step is nice, but not that quick in the NBA level. He was able to finish in traffic against 6'8 - 6'9 big men, but can he take it to the basket against NBA big men? He has a pretty good shot, but does he have NBA range? He doesn't have very good handle, or skills in general. Also, he's turning 22 this year, and is there definitely that much upside or did he develop this year to max his potential?

I like him, but is his stock a bit too high? One great month and pretty good physical attributes shouldn't make anyone a lock lottery pick.

monthh
05-24-2008, 12:34 PM
I really like Alexander is some respects, but he has a few major flaws.

Shooting is of course #1. If he wants to be a full time starter in the league, he needs to be able to shoot. He can score in so many other ways, but making 25% of 3's in the NBA won't cut it. The other is creating his own shot. He is athletic, and has a lot of moves, but you can't give him the ball behind the 3pt line and tell him to score. Those two things together make you wonder how he is going to score in the NBA. I think Phoenix would be the perfect place for him because even a guy like Marion can score 20ppg with them. Not that Marion isn't very good, but he needs to be set up to score like Alexander. I see NBAdraft.net has the Bucks taking him which would be a horrible fit because they don't have anyone to set up his scoring.

But just to prove him not a hater, if he can develop a good, consistant outside shot in the next couple years, I could see a more athletic version of Paul Pierce. He can get to the basket, handle contact, good mid-range game, creative at getting his shots off, and plays with intensity. The thing that stands out however, is that Pierce can set up his game by hitting outside shots.

d_white089
05-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Actually Alexander has pretty good range, and is said to be shooting the NBA 3 well in workouts. He was rarely behind the 3 point line at WVU, which may make his shooting % deceiving.

Posterize246
05-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Actually Alexander has pretty good range, and is said to be shooting the NBA 3 well in workouts. He was rarely behind the 3 point line at WVU, which may make his shooting % deceiving.
idk. he only shot about 40 3s this year so his % COULD be deceiving. but he only shot 30% his sophomore year and he launched 131 of them. id think that if he had good range he wouldnt have been bashful about shooting them his junior year.he sure wasnt his sophomore

d_white089
05-24-2008, 02:25 PM
He is a completely different player between those 2 years. His sophmore year he had an awful coach that would rather see 45 threes shot per game than running a decent system. His coach this year knows how to mold players to fulfill their potential and be ready for the NBA. I'm not saying he's Sasha Vujacic or Ray Allen shooting wise, but he can hold his own.

Posterize246
05-24-2008, 02:38 PM
He is a completely different player between those 2 years. His sophmore year he had an awful coach that would rather see 45 threes shot per game than running a decent system. His coach this year knows how to mold players to fulfill their potential and be ready for the NBA. I'm not saying he's Sasha Vujacic or Ray Allen shooting wise, but he can hold his own.
huggins taught him how to play down low a lot more and how to use his athleticism and size a lot more.but i dont see anything that would prove he has become a better shooter.just a more all around playr

Posterize246
05-24-2008, 04:08 PM
That's a lie. Here's the article

Alexander's athleticism is jaw-dropping. He has a huge vertical jump and explodes off the floor. He has a little scar on his forehead just above his eyes where he hit his head on the rim in a dunk contest.

Where his leaping ability is really impressive is on his jump shot. He gets unbelievable elevation on his jumper. His jump shot is really a jump shot. With his huge leaping ability and high release -- it's virtually impossible to block.

Alexander showed excellent range on his jumper, draining NBA 3s with ease and showing a solid ability to shoot off the dribble. He still scissor-kicks a bit when he shoots which can throw him off balance, but as he smoothes out his form, he looks to be a deadly shooter.

People looking at his shaky 3-point shooting percentages in college might disagree with that assessment. He has not been a very accurate 3-point shooter in games.

That held somewhat true in a three-on-three matchup that pitted

Alexander versus Florida's Marreese Speights. Alexander struggled with Speights' height advantage and missed the majority of his shots. However, he warmed up a little at the end and hit a few big shots down the stretch for his team.

Anyway that has nothing to do with his leaping ability

thats my fault. it was CHASE BUDINGER that is rumored to have the 44 inch vertical. its not a free insider preview anymore though so i cant get the link. but google "chase budinger verticle espn" and its the 1st article to come up.its got the kevin love video

d_white089
05-24-2008, 04:56 PM
thats my fault. it was CHASE BUDINGER that is rumored to have the 44 inch vertical. its not a free insider preview anymore though so i cant get the link. but google "chase budinger verticle espn" and its the 1st article to come up.its got the kevin love video

i posted that cause you said speights owned alexander..

Posterize246
05-24-2008, 05:34 PM
i posted that cause you said speights owned alexander..
in that case,no it wasnt a lie.

"Unlike Alexander, Speight's shooting touch didn't leave him when he went to playing 3-on-3. He was guarded by Alexander and scored at will with a series of step-backs, midrange jumpers off the dribble and post-up spins and moves. His strength and length were just too much.

Finally, Speights showed excellent aggressiveness as a defender. He showed an ability to guard Alexander out on the perimeter and down low. Moving his feet and using his length, he kept Alexander from getting clean looks at the basket.

"

from the same article you posted.in the marreese speights section. so yes,he owned alexander

fatboy11
05-24-2008, 06:22 PM
i posted that cause you said speights owned alexander..Doesn't sound like a lie to me.......

Were you there?

Posterize246
05-24-2008, 07:28 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-080520&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dford_chad%26page%3dDraftWatch-080520

also if you watch the video on there chad ford uses the words "really shut down joe alexander"

OutOfPlace
05-25-2008, 11:16 AM
The best athletes in this draft are Joe Alexander and Chase Budinger, hands down.

Posterize246
05-25-2008, 11:51 AM
The best athletes in this draft are Joe Alexander and Chase Budinger, hands down.
russell westbrook,derrick rose,and sonny weems

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6FP0ua5xFw4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pLsaXkMs9XE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vIp40WgQXi0

OutOfPlace
05-25-2008, 12:12 PM
russell westbrook,derrick rose,and sonny weems

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6FP0ua5xFw4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pLsaXkMs9XE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vIp40WgQXi0

These guys are athletic, but Budinger and Alexander both have legit SF size to go with ridiculous athleticism.

Posterize246
05-25-2008, 12:43 PM
These guys are athletic, but Budinger and Alexander both have legit SF size to go with ridiculous athleticism.
how about darrell arthur,jr giddens,bill walker,and donte green?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rs6F_rw-bEo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GOq7hvULlfY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4sSsOtnku8M

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bWlrI3k9nl0

just trying to say its not "hands down" budinger and alexander.theres plenty of athletes.but yeah i think alexander is in a class above budinger

OutOfPlace
05-25-2008, 12:54 PM
The only of those who can be discussed on the same level with Alexander/Budinger is Bill Walker.

d_white089
05-25-2008, 02:22 PM
You're naming a bunch of really athletic guys, but the two most athletic IMO are Derrick Rose and Joe Alexander. With OJ Mayo right there, can't believe he hasn't been mentioned much in this thread.

fatboy11
05-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Sonny Weems is going to open some eyes in the NBA.

Posterize246
05-25-2008, 02:30 PM
You're naming a bunch of really athletic guys, but the two most athletic IMO are Derrick Rose and Joe Alexander. With OJ Mayo right there, can't believe he hasn't been mentioned much in this thread.
derrick rose is my top.joe alexander is top 3 or 4 in my list. but oj mayo isnt in the discussion. he's not really known as a high flyer or a speed guy

d_white089
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
He's more athletic than you think.

Posterize246
05-25-2008, 05:35 PM
He's more athletic than you think.
let me put it this way. i've never seen any games/video footage/vertical jump or speed recordings that would put him in a class with the others.

Efunk7
05-25-2008, 10:09 PM
How the **** is someone gonna mention mayo in a discussion of most athletic...dude is solid, but not spectacular...he's def a notch or 2 below the other top PG in the draft...

1) derrick rose
2) bayless/westbrook
3) gordon

4) mayo

5)augustin

Rekindled
06-24-2008, 05:36 PM
lol isnt this guy like born in china or something?

NYK-Bball
06-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Russell Westbrook.

:pimp:

Posterize246
06-24-2008, 06:33 PM
lol isnt this guy like born in china or something?
military kid

ds123
06-27-2008, 12:27 PM
military kid

No, his dad was a businessman who worked for a Nabisco office in China.

Btw... did you just assume that since he was a American kid growing up overseas that he was military and just stated it as fact?

Posterize246
06-27-2008, 12:33 PM
No, his dad was a businessman who worked for a Nabisco office in China.

Btw... did you just assume that since he was a American kid growing up overseas that he was military and just stated it as fact?
Calm down, buddy. It was more a guess than stating as a fact.

Quickness
06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
you are a WV fan, So I expect a little bias here. Ill admit I have some bias over my players too. Hes a good player, but best athlete in the draft. I dont think so.

Lebron23
06-27-2008, 08:55 PM
It's JJ Hickson :cheers:

shaoyut
06-27-2008, 09:57 PM
he can touch the hoop with his head

Posterize246
06-27-2008, 10:09 PM
It's JJ Hickson :cheers:
no its not.

SEEBASS1234
09-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Yea he is great...

InspiredLebowski
09-29-2010, 01:57 AM
If Indy weren't loaded at the wing already, I'd consider him at #11.Good thing I don't work for the Pacers, even if Rush hasn't had a great career thus far he's at least a + defender who has a clear longterm NBA role.

Copperhead
09-29-2010, 03:57 AM
This guy is a beat writer for Hornets.com and this is what he tweeted during yesterdays first day of training camp.

Watching Joe Alexander in practice drills is impressive in-person. He's about the most explosive and quick leaper you'll see.
about 6 hours ago via web

Take it for what it's worth. :lol

InspiredLebowski
09-29-2010, 05:12 AM
This guy is a beat writer for Hornets.com and this is what he tweeted during yesterdays first day of training camp.

Take it for what it's worth. :lolA top 10 pick and a training camp invite contract are drastically different things. I'm not saying Alexander will ever do a damn thing in the NBA, but there's ample reason to be excited about him potentially being a 12th man on a minimum contract.