PDA

View Full Version : Channing Frye's value

laview
05-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Just a thought: when Oden comes in next season, someone will be the odd man out. Aldridge is doing well and he can play beside Oden as the PF. Between Przybilla and Frye, one of them is going to see their minutes being taken away. Beside, Outlaw can play a little PF if the Blazers wants to run a little. I like Przybilla who is a much better defender and rebounder and I don't think $6M is too much for a C like him. On the other hand, it is disappointing to see how far Frye has fallen since his rookie year. He still has potential (but he will probably never reach it play behind Oden and Aldridge) and some value, maybe the Blazers should take this opportunity to trade him for a upgrade from Blake.

2LeTTeRS
05-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Not sure but I know he could be used here in Charlotte. Not sure what Portlant would want from him but we'd give you 2nd round pick and Jared Dudley for him.

veilside23
05-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Turiaf > Frye... Frye is so soft. if oden comes back healthy frye will spend the rest of his next season sitting on the bench not unless they are up/down by 30 with 2 mins remaining inthe game

Vancouver-Grizz
05-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Portland will probably keep Frye for 1 more year as a insurance policy for Oden. Oden has played a NBA game yet and the injury ain't gonna make it easier for him. Portland will not be able to afford Frye when he becomes a FA as other teams will have more use for him. I can see Frye as a 15ppg 10rpg guy on a starting position.

Da Ballahollic
05-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Portland will probably keep Frye for 1 more year as a insurance policy for Oden. Oden has played a NBA game yet and the injury ain't gonna make it easier for him. Portland will not be able to afford Frye when he becomes a FA as other teams will have more use for him. I can see Frye as a 15ppg 10rpg guy on a starting position.
:no:

Frye is to soft to grab 10 boards a game.

KNOW1EDGE
05-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Turiaf>Frye is laughable.

Frye has a great inside out game, he can consitantly hit the 15 footer, he even hit a few 3's this year. He is a good rebounder, but he doesnt have a very good low post game, and he isnt that strong.

The Blazers will probably keep him around next year unless he can land us a pg. Joel Przybilla will become Oden's back up. Frye will be LaMarcus Aldridges back up. (unless frye is traded)

If Memphis is interested in Frye how about Outlaw+Frye+#13 for Mike Miller+#5?

2LeTTeRS
05-22-2008, 08:17 PM

Frye has a great inside out game, he can consitantly hit the 15 footer, he even hit a few 3's this year. He is a good rebounder, but he doesnt have a very good low post game, and he isnt that strong.

The Blazers will probably keep him around next year unless he can land us a pg. Joel Przybilla will become Oden's back up. Frye will be LaMarcus Aldridges back up. (unless frye is traded)

You really think in this draft moving up 8 spots is worth giving up Outlaw and Frye? Mike Miller is good, but not that good.

Vancouver-Grizz
05-22-2008, 08:19 PM
there might be a chance you can land OJ Mayo or B Lopez with the 5 pick.

KNOW1EDGE
05-22-2008, 08:22 PM
You really think in this draft moving up 8 spots is worth giving up Outlaw and Frye? Mike Miller is good, but not that good.

I think it is worth it if the Blazers can get Mayo or Bayless.

2LeTTeRS
05-22-2008, 08:24 PM
I think it is worth it if the Blazers can get Mayo or Bayless.

I think Mayo and Roy would be kinda repetive. Bayless is good, but is he really that much better than Russell Westbrook who could be there at 15?

Myth
05-22-2008, 08:31 PM
I would be cool with that trade, but not to pick up Mayo.

Otherwise, I have no problem keeping Frye. I think we should keep Outlaw in the SF position and Frye will simply be Aldridge's backup (with possible times playing Frye PF and Aldridge C due to injuries/foul trouble of Oden/Przybilla). Frye will likely still get 20 minutes per game.

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Frye should remain a rotation player. A very solid backup who can play the 4 or 5.

veilside23
05-22-2008, 09:05 PM

laughable huh all that frye has is the jumpshot ..

I need not to elaborate what turiaf can do just watch the playoffs.. One on One turiaf will eat frye ...

Apples
05-22-2008, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't say Turiaf is better overall, but he is a lot tougher, especially on the boards. But the last time I saw Frye play, he torched the Lakers. I didn't know he had an outside game, and for someone his size, that's a great quality. If he could toughen up inside, he's easily a top Center (offensively) in the league, especially if you put him on a team with guards who attract attention, and can get him the ball.

ZeN
05-22-2008, 09:19 PM
laughable huh all that frye has is the jumpshot ..

I need not to elaborate what turiaf can do just watch the playoffs.. One on One turiaf will eat frye ...

Heck yeah... turiaf has heart to go along with his intence play..

Earlier in the year when he was starting, he was a very servisable big man. His corner of the key jump shot was consistent. He plays hard and never takes a posession off. Plus, he's had some block party games... were he get a handful of rejections.

Plus, he can consistantly rebound well, but he disappears in all aspects when his playing time diminishes.

Sucks for him, its hard to catch a flow, when you playing time is sporadic.

Myth
05-23-2008, 01:55 AM
I wouldn't say Turiaf is better overall, but he is a lot tougher, especially on the boards. But the last time I saw Frye play, he torched the Lakers. I didn't know he had an outside game, and for someone his size, that's a great quality. If he could toughen up inside, he's easily a top Center (offensively) in the league, especially if you put him on a team with guards who attract attention, and can get him the ball.

A lot tougher on the boards? Despite averaging less rebounds in more time?

laview
05-23-2008, 01:59 AM
I think the Lakers fans are dreaming of being able to trade Turiaf for Frye. I don't think the Blazers would do the trade because it makes zero sense. I still think that trading Frye for a good/decent PG would be a smart move.

ihatetimthomas
05-23-2008, 02:22 AM
I think the Lakers fans are dreaming of being able to trade Turiaf for Frye. I don't think the Blazers would do the trade because it makes zero sense. I still think that trading Frye for a good/decent PG would be a smart move.

I really don't think so. Both guys are bench players. What Turiaf brings is much more valuable than Fryes. Turiaf brings intense D, and is a good finisher at the rim. I think Turiafs offense outweighs Fryes jumper. When Turiaf comes in, you know he will bring the D, and he has a knack for offensive boards. I prefer a guy like that at least on the Lakers because Gasol is finesse and Turiaf is toughness. Brings a good element when he goes in for Gasol.

Myth
05-23-2008, 02:26 AM
He may be a better fit for the Lakers, but that doesn't necessarily make him better.

ihatetimthomas
05-23-2008, 02:29 AM
He may be a better fit for the Lakers, but that doesn't necessarily make him better.

I think defense is more important coming off the bench than Fryes offense. I think elite teams would prefer Turiafs passion and D off the bench.

Myth
05-23-2008, 02:32 AM
I think it depends on an individual team's needs. On an elite team a role player doesn't need to score, so you may be right about Turiaf being more important there. Frye though I think is more talented and could step up more when asked to do so.

ihatetimthomas
05-23-2008, 02:38 AM
If Frye can develop some defensive toughness, then I think his value will go much higher and he would be more valuable than a guy like Turiaf. Offensively, he has a very nice touch and good range. Just needs to be able to learn some post D.

Kebab Stall
05-23-2008, 02:40 AM
Memphis would be more than happy to take Frye off of your hands. It would give our PF spot a backup, as we currently don't have one.

Myth
05-23-2008, 02:52 AM
Memphis would be more than happy to take Frye off of your hands. It would give our PF spot a backup, as we currently don't have one.

Sure. As somebody else suggested: Outlaw, Frye, #13 for Mike Miller and #5. :D

Kebab Stall
05-23-2008, 02:55 AM
Sure. As somebody else suggested: Outlaw, Frye, #13 for Mike Miller and #5. :D
As much as I would like Frye on the Memphis team, we really need that #5 pick, it would be silly of us to trade that away.

El Kabong
05-23-2008, 02:58 AM
As much as I would like Frye on the Memphis team, we really need that #5 pick, it would be silly of us to trade that away.
I don't think any of those guys you'd be getting would be worth the #5 pick anyway. Maybe i'm not as high on Outlaw as some of the others, but I wouldn't do it. I don't think Frye is a huge upgrade over Warrick in terms of talent either.

Kebab Stall
05-23-2008, 03:37 AM
I don't think any of those guys you'd be getting would be worth the #5 pick anyway. Maybe i'm not as high on Outlaw as some of the others, but I wouldn't do it. I don't think Frye is a huge upgrade over Warrick in terms of talent either.
Being a huge upgrade wouldn't be a concern, we're not looking to trade Warrick, just looking for a good big man who could play as a backup PF to Warrick.

RoseCity07
05-23-2008, 03:48 AM
I heard Channing Frye was playing great ball in New York before an injury. Now he showed flashes of his pre injury self here in Portland, and many think he was just returning to form at the end of the year. In the same way Outlaw was turning the corner the season before and broke out this year. There is a chance Frye could improve a lot next year.

I don't think it's likely to happen. I just want to see if Frye and Webster step their games up another level. I don't think we should trade Frye away just yet. I really think the Blazers need to keep every player unless it's a better player we are getting.

starface
05-23-2008, 03:57 AM
i just took a look at mike miller's stats from this season.

averaging 35 minutes per game:
FG - 50%
3ptFG - 43%
7 boards per

snap

starface
05-23-2008, 03:58 AM
I heard Channing Frye was playing great ball in New York before an injury.

"great" is a bit strong.

consistent/respectable is probably more apt.

RoseCity07
05-23-2008, 04:05 AM
"great" is a bit strong.

consistent/respectable is probably more apt.

Well for a rookie that is pretty good which is what I'm saying. Didn't he hit a game winner too? I can't seem to find it on youtube. Frye will probably never be a great player but he will be solid. He is too skinny and has no past game. I wouldn't brag about Turiaf or say he was better. Turiaf is a scrub. He is a super athletic Mark Madsen.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
05-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Channing Frye's value = sh*t

2LeTTeRS
05-23-2008, 09:20 AM
So nobody really wants him? Frye would be looking like he did back in NY in Charlotte beside Emeka in the frontcourt. I know him and Coach Brown didn't have the best relationship, but he did play his best ball under Brown, maybe a reunion could do them some good. As I said we'd gladly deal our 2nd rounder and Dudley for him, or would swap picks and give them the 9th pick for Frye and the 13th. With that deal and drafting another young big with the Blazers pick (my targets would be Speights, Randolph or Love in that order) we would head in the off-season set.

Felton/?
J Rich/Carrol
Wallace/Morrison
Frye/Speights or Randolph or Love
Okafor/Mohammed

ChuckOakley
05-23-2008, 09:28 AM
So nobody really wants him? Frye would be looking like he did back in NY in Charlotte beside Emeka in the frontcourt. I know him and Coach Brown didn't have the best relationship, but he did play his best ball under Brown, maybe a reunion could do them some good. As I said we'd gladly deal our 2nd rounder and Dudley for him, or would swap picks and give them the 9th pick for Frye and the 13th. With that deal and drafting another young big with the Blazers pick (my targets would be Speights, Randolph or Love in that order) we would head in the off-season set.

Felton/?
J Rich/Carrol
Wallace/Morrison
Frye/Speights or Randolph or Love
Okafor/Mohammed

The Blazer's also have a plethora of back-up PG's on the roster.. you guys should try to nab Blake, Jack or Sergio while you're at it.

2LeTTeRS
05-23-2008, 09:53 AM
The Blazer's also have a plethora of back-up PG's on the roster.. you guys should try to nab Blake, Jack or Sergio while you're at it.

Would be nice, I'd love to get our hands on Sergio but would settle for a Blake or Jack because they'd fit as "Brown guys". If they threw one of those young points in we'd give them Dudley to make the entire deal the 9th pick and Dudley for the 13th, Frye and one of those point guards.

Note - I swear one of these NBA teams need to hire me to work in there front office. Not saying all the deals I propose would work but a lot of teams it seems teams don't even try to make all the deals they could to improve. I don't get that at all.

mrhoopfan
05-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Having played at Arizona and being a very good jumpshooter for a big, I see him fitting in perfectly with my Suns as the first big off the bench. He can play pf with Shaq and center with him and Amare..Phoenix has gotta look into this since Kevin Love, the man I want them to draft probably won't fall that low.

laview
05-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I really don't think so. Both guys are bench players. What Turiaf brings is much more valuable than Fryes. Turiaf brings intense D, and is a good finisher at the rim. I think Turiafs offense outweighs Fryes jumper. When Turiaf comes in, you know he will bring the D, and he has a knack for offensive boards. I prefer a guy like that at least on the Lakers because Gasol is finesse and Turiaf is toughness. Brings a good element when he goes in for Gasol.

still don't think the Blazers wants Turiaf when they have Przybilla who play good interior defense. Good offensive player coming off the bench is very important. Have you seen the Cavs with James on the bench? no one can score and the momentum completely shifts to the other team...

PacerRaptor
05-23-2008, 10:54 AM
i would love Frye in Indy. I would trade Harison and a 2nd rounder for him.

ihatetimthomas
05-23-2008, 11:36 AM
still don't think the Blazers wants Turiaf when they have Przybilla who play good interior defense. Good offensive player coming off the bench is very important. Have you seen the Cavs with James on the bench? no one can score and the momentum completely shifts to the other team...

Yea i guess it depends on team needs. Cavs dont have much offense in the post so having Frye probably would be vetter bc they already have wallace and varejao. But on a team like the Lakers, Spurs, Hornets...I think Turiaf fits better bc they have offensive big men

laview
05-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Yea i guess it depends on team needs. Cavs dont have much offense in the post so having Frye probably would be vetter bc they already have wallace and varejao. But on a team like the Lakers, Spurs, Hornets...I think Turiaf fits better bc they have offensive big men

I am surprised...I think most lakers fans would not mind trading Turiaf for Frye straight up...

2LeTTeRS
05-23-2008, 01:18 PM
I am surprised...I think most lakers fans would not mind trading Turiaf for Frye straight up...

Nah. Turiaf is a better compliment to Pau and Odom than Frye, who basically brings the same thing in a scaled down version. Next year when Bynum gets back though, they'd probably prefer Frye. Still doesn't change the fact that Frye is the better player though.

ihatetimthomas
05-23-2008, 01:18 PM

I think Turiaf is a better compliment to replace Gasol bc he is much different and Frye's game is similar to Gasol in the sense he is a finesse player. You get Gasols offensive finesse then you get Turiafs defensive toughness. I just like that combo

ChuckOakley
05-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Would be nice, I'd love to get our hands on Sergio but would settle for a Blake or Jack because they'd fit as "Brown guys". If they threw one of those young points in we'd give them Dudley to make the entire deal the 9th pick and Dudley for the 13th, Frye and one of those point guards.

Note - I swear one of these NBA teams need to hire me to work in there front office. Not saying all the deals I propose would work but a lot of teams it seems teams don't even try to make all the deals they could to improve. I don't get that at all.

I don't know why Portland would want to move up all of 4 spots in a pretty deep draft if it costs them Frye and a PG. Other than picks 1 & 2, the rest of the lottery has pretty even value IMO. Charlotte would have to either take some salary off their hands (Blake has the worst contract) or offer more than Dudley IMO.

Maybe

Blake
Frye

for

Dudley
S.May/Morrison

2LeTTeRS
05-23-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't know why Portland would want to move up all of 4 spots in a pretty deep draft if it costs them Frye and a PG. Other than picks 1 & 2, the rest of the lottery has pretty even value IMO. Charlotte would have to either take some salary off their hands (Blake has the worst contract) or offer more than Dudley IMO.

Maybe

Blake
Frye

for

Dudley
S.May/Morrison

If they value May or Morrison they can have them. We don't really want them any more here in Charlotte.

ChuckOakley
05-23-2008, 02:29 PM
If they value May or Morrison they can have them. We don't really want them any more here in Charlotte.

I'm sure they'd like Morrisson... a SF with shooting range who went to school in the Northwest.

Wow.. the thought of Portland's line-up.....

Westbrook / Blake / Rodriguez
Roy / Fernandez
Outlaw / Morrison / Webster
Aldridge / Dudley / McRoberts
Oden / Pryzbilla / LaFrentz

They really wouldn't even need to trade for a PG considering they could draft one and have 5 players with PG skills.

Myth
05-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Channing Frye's value = sh*t

Thats nice. How's Zach working for you? :)

Myth
05-23-2008, 09:26 PM
No to: Frye+13 for #9 (doesn't work salary wise anyway).

No to:

Blake
Frye

for

Dudley
S.May/Morrison

Dudley isn't sufficient to backup Aldridge.

HELL NO to:
Harrison+2nd rounder for Frye

I'd be willing to negotiate something for Felton though.

Myth
05-23-2008, 09:46 PM

Hmm... I guess this next trade idea depends on how willing you are to get rid of those 2.

Felton
May
Morrison

for

Frye
Blake
Sergio
Webster
(heck, a 2nd rounder or 2 too if you'd like)

Why it works for Charlotte: They lose Felton which is the most painful part, but they got a decent PG in Blake that could fit into a Larry Brown coached team very well. You also get Sergio for backup and possibly for the future. Brown's strictness could either help Sergio meet his potential, or cripple him emotionally. Could go either way with him. Webster to me is an upgrade over Morrison, mainly because he can do other things besides shoot (including defend). May is probably better than Frye, but Frye is a more sure thing considering he has never had microfracture knee surgery.

Why it works for Portland: They get their PG in Felton. May is a gamble but could be a good backup if he comes back healthy. Morrison could become a shooter off the bench. He really wouldn't be asked to do anything else.

Blazer line-up:
PG: Felton/Jack/(#13?)
SG: Roy/Fernandez/(#13?)
SF: Outlaw/Morrison/J. Jones
PF: Aldridge/May/McRoberts
C: Oden/Przybilla/LaFrentz

Btw, I don't know the rotation of the Bobcats very well so I didn't put it down.

Myth
05-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Never mind on the trade above. I didn't realize that May has only played about 70 games in 3 seasons.

laview
05-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Maybe a trade that involves Frye + something else for Morrison could work. The blazers could use more shooters; gives Oden more space. Bobcats could use a big that can score well.

Myth
05-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Morrison better not be the key component of a trade coming to the Blazers. Felton is really the only guy on that squad that I'm interested in. After that, I think we would need a 3rd team involved, because I don't see anybody respectable to replace Frye as our backup PF.

laview
05-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Morrison better not be the key component of a trade coming to the Blazers. Felton is really the only guy on that squad that I'm interested in. After that, I think we would need a 3rd team involved, because I don't see anybody respectable to replace Frye as our backup PF.

It is kind of sad seeing Morrison's value falling so much. I thought he would've been a good player (like 15pts, 3asts. 3rbs, and 1stls type) when he was drafted...but since he was injured so much maybe he can still turn out okay

Myth
05-24-2008, 05:39 PM
It is kind of sad seeing Morrison's value falling so much. I thought he would've been a good player (like 15pts, 3asts. 3rbs, and 1stls type) when he was drafted...but since he was injured so much maybe he can still turn out okay

I think he can develop to be a good 2nd string guy. Though, I would want more defense from a 2nd string guy. His whole career depends on whether his jump shot becomes efficient like it was in college. Unfortunately, some great college shooters never develop the range to consistently hit the 3 in the NBA. I personally thought he wouldn't be very good in the NBA before he was drafted. I was irritated that some Blazer fans held rallies chanting "Draft the Stache". I'm glad they didn't. I was pulling for us to draft Rudy Gay, but we didn't go wrong with Roy and Aldridge instead.

2LeTTeRS
05-24-2008, 05:52 PM

Why would we give up our starting point guard for Frye? Be serious man. The only way it works is if the Blazers have their own on somebody in the draft and want to slide up a few spots from 13 to 9, and in a deal like that why would we give up the best player in the deal for the right to slide back 4 draft picks? Unless you're willing to give up the 13 and Frye for Felton and no pick or our 2nd rounder (which I doubt) than nothing else you would offer would makes sense for us.