PDA

View Full Version : Can Kobe Guard Pierce 1-on-1?

Ken_Masters
06-07-2008, 02:26 AM
Not trying to troll, just asking a legitimate question. Why did Kobe need help from the double team every time Pierce had him on the block?

brandonislegend
06-07-2008, 02:28 AM
because pierce is a terrible passer, and double teaming someone that isnt the greatest dribbler, not a great passer, and not very smart = turnovers

L.Kizzle
06-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Pierce is bigger and stronger than KB24.

chains5000
06-07-2008, 02:36 AM
because pierce is a terrible passer, and double teaming someone that isnt the greatest dribbler, not a great passer, and not very smart = turnovers
I guess he sucks then...:rolleyes:

DuMa
06-07-2008, 02:50 AM
no he cant. peirce will own him onthe low block everytime.

brandonislegend
06-07-2008, 03:02 AM
1. they dont play the same position so why are you asking this?

2. thats like asking if Jordan could stick melo...how bout you reverse it?

RoseCity07
06-07-2008, 03:05 AM
In a ISO situation Kobe and Pierce both need help against each other. Kobe will fly by Pierce if he gets that first step and Pierce needs help to be there. Some times Pierce can get by Kobe and the same applies, or Pierce well body his way into the paint. Both are too good on offense to not need help defense.

Difference is Kobe can elevate much higher and get a shot off. I think the defense has done a good job keeping a hand in Kobe's face in these situations. One of the more memorable times Pierce elevated over his defender and shot was when he had Fisher on him in the post. I don't expect he'll try that against Kobe.

New Jazzy Nets
06-07-2008, 03:06 AM
If kobe is a perennial 1st team all defense he should be able to handle fat pierce right? Kobe is overrated as a defender. Kobe can't handle pierce 1 on 1, hell he barely handled ronnie brewer 1 on 1.

RoseCity07
06-07-2008, 03:21 AM
If kobe is a perennial 1st team all defense he should be able to handle fat pierce right? Kobe is overrated as a defender. Kobe can't handle pierce 1 on 1, hell he barely handled ronnie brewer 1 on 1.

Actually Pierce is in much better shape than last year, you can see by looking at his face. Kobe and Pierce have both looked fat, including Kobe this very year. I've heard comments from my friends that Kobe looked pudgy. They are both in good shape now. The facial fat is gone.

baseketball4life
06-07-2008, 03:28 AM
yes he can and easily

w00terz
06-07-2008, 03:29 AM
Actually Pierce is in much better shape than last year, you can see by looking at his face. Kobe and Pierce have both looked fat, including Kobe this very year. I've heard comments from my friends that Kobe looked pudgy. They are both in good shape now. The facial fat is gone.

Didn't realize how much detail about these players' faces you have paid attention to.... You're a guy? That explains a lot.

:lol

brandonislegend
06-07-2008, 03:34 AM

are you serious right now?

kobe lost 15 pounds this season for the USA team and has held it off this whole season, obviously you have no idea what your talking about, nice try though.

RoseCity07
06-07-2008, 03:37 AM
are you serious right now?

kobe lost 15 pounds this season for the USA team and has held it off this whole season, obviously you have no idea what your talking about, nice try though.

Yeah way to tell me what I'm seeing. You can tell Pierce has shed the weight from last year where he sat on the bench more than Wade did this year.

RoseCity07
06-07-2008, 03:38 AM
Didn't realize how much detail about these players' faces you have paid attention to.... You're a guy? That explains a lot.

:lol

You notice things more when you watch the games on HD.

baseketball4life
06-07-2008, 03:42 AM
Kobe fat? lmfao :roll:

brandonislegend
06-07-2008, 03:43 AM
kobe is so skinny this year, your out of your mind hes in the best shape hes been in for a while...he has like NO body fat.

Spudjjay
06-07-2008, 09:28 AM
RoseCity07 makes SOME valid points, but since when can`t Pierce fadeaway against Kobe?!?! Pierce can fadeaway against anyone.

Mr_Basketball#1
06-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Pierce's stepback is deadly and his release is so high that it's really hard to contest. No one can really guard Paul. The only person that has really given him trouble over the years is Ron Artest.

juju151111
06-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah way to tell me what I'm seeing. You can tell Pierce has shed the weight from last year where he sat on the bench more than Wade did this year.
ok this is just hating.no way is kobe fatter then pierce.stop acting like a kobe fan and spread lies.pirece is bigger get over it plus kobe losst like 10 pounds in the summer.

Rockets(T-mac)
06-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Kobe isn't strong enough to hold Pierce one-on-one when Pierce is bodying him and driving.

PP34Deuce
06-07-2008, 01:25 PM
No one on the lakers can guard Pierce one on One.

They are athletic finesse, He is athletic power.

Paul is not fast at all, but he has quick feet which is why from free throw line to basket he can guard Kobe decently.

Kobe cant guard pierce because hes just not strong enough in the post, Pierce ocassionally has a quick step move to get by, but he is just as smart as Kobe getting people in the air and drawing fouls.

Ron Artest and Lebron James are stronger or just as strong and the only ones who can limit him.

High Potential
06-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Pierce is way bigger, weight wise, then Kobe and can easily outmuscle him. Kobe probably wants to gaurd him 1v1 but I don't think he can do a very good job on it, just because of Kobe's size. He should stick to Ray Ray.

Skywalker
06-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Obviously he can. Or at least as well as anyone else.

aznboy2k2
06-07-2008, 01:59 PM

I agree, Kobe Bryant is HELLA overrated as a defender. There should have been absolutely NO REASON for this guy to be on the all 1st team all defense. It should have been Shane Battier. Van Gundy hit it right.

Battier owned Kobe in that game. Kobe is in no ones right mind a shut down defender.

ShowTime LA
06-07-2008, 02:27 PM
:roll:

kobesabi
06-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Can Pierce guard Kobe? Or he needs angel to help him?

MMM
06-07-2008, 02:40 PM
of course Paul can't guard Kobe one on one, guarding players one on one and shutting down said player is something only a handful of defenders can do. Mainly role player who specialize in Defense.

High Potential
06-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I agree, Kobe Bryant is HELLA overrated as a defender. There should have been absolutely NO REASON for this guy to be on the all 1st team all defense. It should have been Shane Battier. Van Gundy hit it right.

Battier owned Kobe in that game. Kobe is in no ones right mind a shut down defender.
Van Gundy doesn't make sense though! So Battier should be first team all defense as a 2 gaurd taking up Kobe's spot? Even though Battier is a 3?

NYK-Bball
06-07-2008, 04:18 PM
They probably just doubling him because they don't believe in Rondo's jumpshot and they rather take the possibility of Rondo making it 5/10 then Pierce tiring out Kobe and possibly in foul trouble.

kobesabi
06-07-2008, 05:00 PM

According to Van Gundy, "Pound-per-Pound", Pierce should be able to guard Kobe but we know he'll be asking angel for help.

okayabc123
06-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Up to the point before Pierce made 2 straight 3s, I thought Kobe did a really good job on Pierce. I don't know what game you guys were watching but Pierce really didn't get a lot of looks and were forced to pass..

I think Kobe made 2 bad mistakes on PP34, and Kobe didn't run back on the 2 threes Pierce made, and I am going to assume that he didn't think Pierce were going to hit the shot because of the injury... don't get me wrong, Kobe is a good defender, but he seems to always not respect opponents' shot...

DCL
06-07-2008, 07:37 PM
kobe cannot guard many nba players 1-on-1, let alone paul pierce. kobe is possibly the most overrated defender in the league. so many guys go off and have huge games against him.

stewen12
06-07-2008, 07:44 PM
+ 1

Celts34
06-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Not trying to troll, just asking a legitimate question. Why did Kobe need help from the double team every time Pierce had him on the block?

Often times the simple answer is the correct one. Paul is bigger/stronger then Kobe and although Kobe is an above average defender, Paul is very good at drawing fouls. Especially when on the block, and you don't want Kobe picking up unnecessary fouls reaching in when he's at a disadvantage in the post. The Lakers obviously believe that is a key component to the celtics offense they want to take away.

VCMVP1551
06-08-2008, 12:21 AM

Kobe has never looked fat. WTF are you talking about?

Pierce has admitted to weighing over 245 pounds but I doubt Kobe has ever been much over 220. Kobe is more thin than he is fat.

Did I hear you right? :roll: I can't say I've ever heard someone call Kobe fat.

What's next? Kevin Garnett is fat too?

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/81465893.jpg

Kobe is something like 200 pounds now and considering he's tall that's not much at all. If Kobe's pudgy then what was Jordan during the 90's? Obese? :roll:

Kobe=MVP07`
06-08-2008, 12:44 AM
its a gameplan guys!!! kobe closes of the middle and lamar or pau or whoever rotates to the right......

its not htat kobe says help i cant gaurd him, its that phil feels this is hte best way to ruin the Celts Offense..

amfirst
06-08-2008, 01:39 AM
they play different position... it's like asking can Ray guard Odom or better yet can Pierce guard Kg? :hammerhead:

Real Men Wear Green
06-08-2008, 11:30 AM
So, I see that the Laker fans still can't give Pierce any credit. Somehow, even though he has this amazing defensive weapon that can shut down one of the best SFs in the league, PJ isn't doing it because apparently it's not worth it, even though Pierce's 3rd quarter play murdered his team. Whatever.

XxNeXuSxX
06-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Pierce is a faker, Pierce sucks, Pierce can't shoot, Pierce is weak, Pierce is fat, Pierce can't play d, Pierce can't drive, Pierce is injury prone, Pierce blows.

There's times when the ratio of Laker fans being 20 to 1 to that of Celtic fans becomes annoying.

RoseCity07
06-08-2008, 12:31 PM
So, I see that the Laker fans still can't give Pierce any credit. Somehow, even though he has this amazing defensive weapon that can shut down one of the best SFs in the league, PJ isn't doing it because apparently it's not worth it, even though Pierce's 3rd quarter play murdered his team. Whatever.

They don't know what they are talking about. The only strategy they really know is pass it to Kobe and see if he makes it or not. Just let them think they are PJ and know how to stop the Celtics. They call Pierce fat because of last year and when I say Kobe was fat last year compared to now they say, "He lost weight" and was never fat. They just don't care, just mad because Pierce owned them and need to think of some excuse why the Lakers are losing.

All the people jumping to Kobe's defense usually have a Laker avatar or a account with Kobe's name as a part of it.

johndeeregreen
06-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Pierce is a terrible passer?:oldlol:

What kind of stunt are you trying to pull here, kiddo?

And Jeff Van Gundy, somebody who knows a lot more about NBA basketball than 99.9 (if not 100%) of this board, has already put this baby to sleep.

Laker fans could ruin Christmas.

Up to the point before Pierce made 2 straight 3s, I thought Kobe did a really good job on Pierce.
He was guarding Ray Allen for almost the entire game to the point you were talking about. What's next? Gasol did a great job on Rondo?

This is why I don't frequent the main forum very often.

Dizzle-2k7
06-08-2008, 02:16 PM
We've yet to see Kobe guard Pierce 1on1 so nobody can make any arguments against Kobe that are valid considering he is a multiple 1st team all defensive player and has a track record of stopping great scorers like iverson, tmac, vince, etc.. theres no reason to believe Kobe cant guard Pierce.

Im sure we'll see Kobe step up and completely change the tide of the series tonight.

johndeeregreen
06-08-2008, 02:19 PM
So, what Laker fans are telling me, is that Jeff Van Gundy is full of sh*t and doesn't know what he's talking about, and despite 10+ years as an NBA head coach, all you messageboard warriors know better about Kobe Bryant's defense than he does?

F*cking laughable, every last one of you.

Heilige
06-08-2008, 02:21 PM
So, what Laker fans are telling me, is that Jeff Van Gundy is full of sh*t and doesn't know what he's talking about, and despite 10+ years as an NBA head coach, all you messageboard warriors know better about Kobe Bryant's defense than he does?

F*cking laughable, every last one of you.

Yet, when tons of coaches, players, analysts, etc,etc say Kobe is the best in the game today people like you assume you know better. Funny how that works, eh? :)

johndeeregreen
06-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Yet, when tons of coaches, players, analysts, etc,etc say Kobe is the best in the game today people like you assume you know better. Funny how that works, eh? :)
I don't recollect weighing in on anything like that all year. Kobe Bryanthas looked like the best player in the game this year, but people coming in here and saying that he can just shut down Pierce 1-on-1 no problem is just out of control. If he could, why didn't PJ have him on Pierce all game? Just because?

JVG was right. Kobe plays sporadically great defense, not lock down.

kobesabi
06-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Answer to "Can Kobe Guard Pierce 1-on-1" is same as "Can Pierce Guard Kobe 1-on-1".

PP34Deuce
06-08-2008, 05:29 PM
We've yet to see Kobe guard Pierce 1on1 so nobody can make any arguments against Kobe that are valid considering he is a multiple 1st team all defensive player and has a track record of stopping great scorers like iverson, tmac, vince, etc.. theres no reason to believe Kobe cant guard Pierce.

Im sure we'll see Kobe step up and completely change the tide of the series tonight.

All of those guys you mentioned do not have a strength advantage like Paul Pierce does.

Paul has that lazy style where he lulls you to sleep methodically( like Tim Duncan) and then makes one strong quick move and he either scores or draws foul more often then not.

Did you see in the 4th quarter with 2 mins left when kobe tried to post him up and set him up for a fadeaway? He couldnt back him down.

Kobe is a very good defender when motivated and hes been able to handle Tmac vince and others, but Paul Pierce is a bad matchup for him for the fact of strength, more tenacity then VC and Tmac, and hes just as smart as Kobe at drawing fouls.

Loki
06-08-2008, 07:12 PM

Yeah, maybe Kobe will shut down a hobbled Pierce the way Vujacic shut down a hobbled Ginobili. :oldlol:

johndeeregreen
06-08-2008, 07:15 PM
See, now I'm dreading Pierce having even one bad game due to any myriad of factors, and these people will be out of control to the tune of seven topics on the main page whether Bryant had something to do with it or not.

Loki
06-08-2008, 07:31 PM
See, now I'm dreading Pierce having even one bad game due to any myriad of factors, and these people will be out of control to the tune of seven topics on the main page whether Bryant had something to do with it or not.

Yeah, that's the best part. Even if PP is visibly hobbled, all we'll hear about is how Kobe "shut him down."

Lakers73
06-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Pierce is a SF and Kobe is a SG. Pierce is taller and heavier than Kobe. That being said, Kobe can handle him in the perimeter, but down low, Pierce is too big/heavy.

On the other hand, Pierce cannot guard Kobe....just like the rest of the league.

Kobe_6/8
06-20-2015, 05:04 AM
Easily

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/20/files/2015/01/kobe-bryant-paul-pierce-nba-los-angeles-lakers-washington-wizards1-850x560.jpg

PickernRoller
06-20-2015, 05:14 AM
Easily

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/20/files/2015/01/kobe-bryant-paul-pierce-nba-los-angeles-lakers-washington-wizards1-850x560.jpg

What happened here?

Kobe_6/8
06-20-2015, 06:37 AM
What happened here?

"Bryant and Pierce have a combined 34 years of NBA experience, and they exchanged pleasantries several times during the game.

"It's good banter. Being that we come from the same generation, we're probably the only ones in the league that can still trash talk," Bryant said.

Pierce was more concerned about Bryant's shooting instead of his chatter.

"I want to make him work," Pierce said. "You're never going to stop him all the way.""

12/3/2014
http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400578556