PDA

View Full Version : So I played a game vs Steve Nash today :)

shafir
06-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Every morning, before I go to work, I like to play a few pickup games at these courts in Tribeca (for you New Yorkers, it's the courts right near BMCC and Stuyvesant High School) I usually play from about 6 to 7 in the morning, and go home to get ready for work. This morning, Steve Nash was at the court. I didn't realize it was him because I saw him from the back, and he had short hair(my mental image of Nash had always been long hair). I also didn't think Nash was that tall, but he was a good 4 or 5 inches on me( im 5'10").

I was already heading towards his court to shoot around with him, and then I realize it was Steve Nash. First, my jaws felt like they were going to drop, but I got past that, and just asked if I could shoot around. We played a game(I won't even mention score), and he said he had to leave. I didn't want to ask for an autograph, and it would seem gay to just take a picture of him, so I didn't.

I know many of you won't believe this, and that's fine, I wouldn't either, but whatever, doesn't matter, I just felt that I had to share the experience. He was pretty nice, ignoring like six high school kids (presumably from the HS nearby) videotaping us with their cell phones. I play pickup there every morning, if I see one of those students around, I'll try to find out if I can get the footage of us playing.

One last note, aren't NBA players not allowed to play pickup ball? Isn't it in their contracts or something, to prevent injury?

dazed27
06-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Every morning, before I go to work, I like to play a few pickup games at these courts in Tribeca (for you New Yorkers, it's the courts right near BMCC and Stuyvesant High School) I usually play from about 6 to 7 in the morning, and go home to get ready for work. This morning, Steve Nash was at the court. I didn't realize it was him because I saw him from the back, and he had short hair(my mental image of Nash had always been long hair). I also didn't think Nash was that tall, but he was a good 4 or 5 inches on me( im 5'10").

I was already heading towards his court to shoot around with him, and then I realize it was Steve Nash. First, my jaws felt like they were going to drop, but I got past that, and just asked if I could shoot around. We played a game(I won't even mention score), and he said he had to leave. I didn't want to ask for an autograph, and it would seem gay to just take a picture of him, so I didn't.

I know many of you won't believe this, and that's fine, I wouldn't either, but whatever, doesn't matter, I just felt that I had to share the experience. He was pretty nice, ignoring like six high school kids (presumably from the HS nearby) videotaping us with their cell phones. I play pickup there every morning, if I see one of those students around, I'll try to find out if I can get the footage of us playing.

One last note, aren't NBA players not allowed to play pickup ball? Isn't it in their contracts or something, to prevent injury?

sounds like a day maker..
i believe u

Nets fan 93
06-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Steve played B-ball at 6 in the morning:wtf: an in NY, was it for charity?

shafir
06-09-2008, 06:20 PM
No, he was just shooting around when I got there. It wasn't an event or anything.

K.Koscik
06-09-2008, 06:22 PM
What was Steve doing in New York playing pickup at 6am? I know what it feels like to tell something very cool thats not totally believeable, so I'll give you benefit of the doubt, until proven otherwise. It's just a wee bit farfetched.

Like why was he in New York? Did he say?

shafir
06-09-2008, 06:23 PM
What was Steve doing in New York playing pickup at 6am? I know what it feels like to tell something very cool thats not totally believeable, so I'll give you benefit of the doubt, until proven otherwise. It's just a wee bit farfetched.

It's alright if you think it's far fetched, I'd accuse somebody outright of lying. Maybe he has a home in NY for the off season, to get away from Phoenix heat?

I didn't ask why he was in NY, I barely acknowledged to him that I was excited as hell, lol.

Nets fan 93
06-09-2008, 06:24 PM
plz post the score :)

ihatetimthomas
06-09-2008, 06:25 PM
That sweet. What did you guys play 1 on 1? Did you ask for any pointers?

shafir
plz post the score :)
Lets just say he is incapable of missing on 9 feet rims, and an opponent a good 5 inches shorter :D

K.Koscik
Haha fair enough, sounds like a hell of a time. In alaska, i never get the priveledge of meeting NBA players, much less playing with them! Must've been a great experience! I'm jealous :mad:

DuMa
06-09-2008, 06:27 PM
he's in NY with D'Antoni :eek:

shafir
That sweet. What did you guys play 1 on 1? Did you ask for any pointers?
No, I didn't really want to annoy him. We just talked about the good weather (it was still dark outside, and it wasn't steaming hot at 6 AM :) ) Very chill guy, not snobby at all, and willing to make conversation(even if it was just about the weather)

shafir
he's in NY with D'Antoni :eek:
Nash to NY? You heard it here first :D

baseketball4life
06-09-2008, 06:28 PM
are you sure it wasn't a dream?

haha jk good stuff

shafir
06-09-2008, 06:30 PM
are you sure it wasn't a dream?

haha jk good stuff
Yes, lol. Getting killed at basketball is more painful then a pinch, and yes, I felt it :D

steve
If anyone's wondering, he lives in New York during the offseason.

shafir
Oh shiznit!

Nets fan 93
No, I didn't really want to annoy him. We just talked about the good weather (it was still dark outside, and it wasn't steaming hot at 6 AM :) ) Very chill guy, not snobby at all, and willing to make conversation(even if it was just about the weather)
Was durring the All-Star break:rolleyes:

Nets fan 93
06-09-2008, 06:32 PM
:eek: If he comes there again, you must get a pic, maybe if you see him every day he can loan you some money:lol

Poseidon
06-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm calling shenanigans.

midrange game
06-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Sounds cool, congratulation's :)

A Roc 23
06-09-2008, 06:34 PM

He's lived in NY since he got rich.

LuppersGB
06-09-2008, 06:35 PM
So did you beat him in the 1:1?

Copperhead
06-09-2008, 06:35 PM
It doesn't sound all that farfetched to me. Steve was shooting around at 6 or 7 in the morning which was probably the best time to get it done without a ton of people gawking at him. And in the offseason there's no telling in which cities players will be. I saw that bum Othella Harrington last weekend in the mall in Houston. Nobody cares but does the guy have to remain in Charlotte during the offseason just because he's on the Bobcat's roster?

shafir
06-09-2008, 06:36 PM
So did you beat him in the 1:1?
Uhh no? :(

Spudjjay
06-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Are you talking about that little facility(haven`t seen the inside) next to that small highschool on Gates ave?!?!?!

:oldlol:

What would Nash be doing there?

shafir
06-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Are you talking about that little facility(haven`t seen the inside) next to that small highschool on Gates ave?!?!?!

What would Nash be doing there?
Gates avenue? Nowhere near. I'm talking about the courts near BMCC(Borough of Manhatten Community College) on Chambers street. It's next to Stuyvesant, and a few blocks down is City Hall. Plus, small high school? Stuyvesant has ten floors.

LuppersGB
06-09-2008, 06:38 PM
lol
seems like a great occasion. I've only ever seen 1 player up close and that was awsome. but to play 1:1 with steve nash! damn! I'm a bit jealous

Spudjjay
06-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Gates avenue? Nowhere near. I'm talking about the courts near BMCC(Borough of Manhatten Community College) on Chambers street. It's next to Stuyvesant, and a few blocks down is City Hall. Plus, small high school? Stuyvesant has ten floors.

Oh I thought yo meant Bed-Stuy highschool... I guess I believe you now... congrats:)

A Roc 23
06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Nash is a pretty normal guy from what I hear. It doesn't shock me that he was chilling around NY shooting some hoops. I believe the story, especially since sharif didn't even know that Nash lived in NY. That and I can't think of a reason a Knicks fan would randomly make up a story like this.

NotWorthy
06-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Wow, great story. I guess Nash lives in Greenwich Village.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix155686495may15,0,7803537.story?track=rss

Maniak
06-09-2008, 07:25 PM
you lucky guy, nash is my favorite basketball player ever

emsteez forreal
06-09-2008, 07:35 PM

wait a few more days and search steve nash tribeca or something on youtube and if those kids recorded it with their phones they'll probably put it on youtube. i believe you though, i don't see why someone would lie about this, it's not like he's tryna impress no one . but yeah steve nash seems like a personable guy .

emsteez forreal
06-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Wow, great story. I guess Nash lives in Greenwich Village.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix155686495may15,0,7803537.story?track=rss

confirmed

mmsupra
06-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Bad ass!! I would have asked him about his nose lol..Nah I would not have really bothered him with questions cause thats what everyone else:cheers: does ...

ikoiko
06-09-2008, 07:41 PM
nash ballin at 6 in the morning in the summer. his work ethic >>> all.

ShowTime LA
06-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Oh snap i think i just saw Carmelo Anthony. Some guy was going 80 on a 25 mph road by my house.

ALlArOuNDPIaya
06-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Oh snap i think i just saw Carmelo Anthony. Some guy was going 80 on a 25 mph road by my house.
:oldlol: Okay, that's pretty funny.

But I believe the story nevertheless. Though I would have been talking to him a hella lot more.

FireMcFailPlease
06-09-2008, 08:19 PM
So what. I saw Ricky Davis outside of a strip club once getting into his black 07 escalade. I gave him the thumbs up and he winked at me

AIrules
06-09-2008, 08:21 PM
DAMN! What was doing Nash doing there?

AIrules
06-09-2008, 08:21 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

miller-time
06-09-2008, 08:25 PM
DAMN! What was doing Nash doing there?

umm.. playing basketball? i thought that point had been established.

i give the story an 80% for believability. so its good enough. nice work, i'd give anything to do that.

RomeoLuvCasanova
06-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Living in the city you see all kinda people all the time. I go to a gym on the upper west side and have played some pick up games with Ben Gordon, Lamar Odom, Smush Parker and Charlie Villanueva. You never realize how talented these guys are till you see them play in the gym against regular people.

The craziest thing is running on the tredmill and looking over and seeing Madonna running with her entire entourage or seeing Alex Rodriguez and Diddy just shooting around. There are few cities in the world where you can see stuff like that.

dwight20-20
06-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Lets just say he is incapable of missing on 9 feet rims, and an opponent a good 5 inches shorter :D

wait the rims were 9 feet? why would you play on 9 feet rims?

facebook
06-09-2008, 08:29 PM
nice! can you at least tell us how many pts you scored?

kobesabi
06-09-2008, 08:36 PM

Maybe he was look-alike? Did he have crossed eyes?

Maybe he was visiting D'Antoni?

mike239489
06-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Thats totally cool, you're really lucky.

shafir
06-09-2008, 08:41 PM
wait the rims were 9 feet? why would you play on 9 feet rims?
Those are just how high the rims are near where I live.

niko
06-09-2008, 08:41 PM
It's alright if you think it's far fetched, I'd accuse somebody outright of lying. Maybe he has a home in NY for the off season, to get away from Phoenix heat?

I didn't ask why he was in NY, I barely acknowledged to him that I was excited as hell, lol.

i have no reason to doubt you, but i have seen him in years past (more than once) in central park playing soccer, and on the eastside playing soccer. so i can believe he'd play pickup, soccer is more dangerous.

and i had the same reacion, he's taller than i thought. i didnt get to meet him. he was playing, and i wasnt interrupting that. once it was with mexicans, another time with a group of europeans, id say italian byt maybe spanish.

shafir
06-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Maybe he was look-alike? Did he have crossed eyes?

Maybe he was visiting D'Antoni?
Lol, yes, I mighta been playing the guy on the left instead of the guy on the right :lol

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g47/shafir/steve.jpg

dwight20-20
06-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Those are just how high the rims are near where I live.

so you're saying steve nash was shooting around on a 9 foot rim?

kwajo
06-09-2008, 09:39 PM
I played foosball with Eddie Griffin the other day. I wasn't sure it was him at first, until I noticed that he had skid-marks from a locomotive all across his body.

DCL
06-09-2008, 09:42 PM
i went goat hunting with osama bin laden.

statman32
06-09-2008, 09:42 PM
I played foosball with Eddie Griffin the other day. I wasn't sure it was him at first, until I noticed that he had skid-marks from a locomotive all across his body.
You played football with THE EDDIE GRIFFIN?!

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/startracks/070409/eddie_griffin.jpg

Yes, I'm ignoring your insensitive joke. :(

shafir
06-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Sadly :(

Darius
06-09-2008, 10:08 PM
What kind of moves was he pulling in 1v1?

Was he more athletic/quick than you thought he'd be?

shafir
06-09-2008, 10:25 PM
What kind of moves was he pulling in 1v1?

Was he more athletic/quick than you thought he'd be?
I wasn't exactly a challenge for him to have to pull moves. He'd take a few jumpers, he posted up once, etc. I'm not sure if he missed once.

I didn't get to see any athleticism, but yeah, he was definitely quick, especially for his size.

ZeN
06-09-2008, 10:29 PM
I work at LAX and Ive seen but not met a few ball players...

Dan Dickau - Tony Parker - Corey Maggette - Emeka Okafor (twice) - Mark Jackson (twice)

Each and every time it was pretty uneventful....:lol

Except for the fact that Mark's head is person is HUGE...:D

dwight20-20
06-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Sadly :(

I'm sorry there is just no way an NBA player would shoot around on a 9 foot rim. That doesn't benefit him at all. I'm not saying your story isn't true, but are you sure they were 9 feet?

bdreason
06-10-2008, 01:49 AM
That's awesome bro.

23airjordan23
06-10-2008, 02:39 AM
I'm sorry there is just no way an NBA player would shoot around on a 9 foot rim. That doesn't benefit him at all. I'm not saying your story isn't true, but are you sure they were 9 feet?
why? i don't get it, i don't think he was really training i think he was just practicing for like fun.

dnyk1337
06-10-2008, 02:51 AM
Interesting. I'm about to hit those courts and get some tips from him.

B-Low
06-10-2008, 02:53 AM

That's like if you saw an NFL player at the park playing a pickup game and said "hey that's not a full 100-yard field!" or a MLB player on a high school field hitting the ball and you say "why would you be playing on a field that's smaller than regulation?"...it's just him playing for a good time shooting around. Hell i shoot around on my nephew's 6 foot hoops sometimes. Not because i'm trying to practice but just to play around

Run&Gun=Fun
06-10-2008, 03:30 AM
Why would Steve Nash beat you?

I would have thought he'd say hes not allowed to play 1 on 1 or at least go half hearted and let you compete.

Kind of like when the a kid 4-5 years younger whom you just want to go away challenges you at the park.

solidus_maximus
06-10-2008, 04:00 AM
That's like if you saw an NFL player at the park playing a pickup game and said "hey that's not a full 100-yard field!" or a MLB player on a high school field hitting the ball and you say "why would you be playing on a field that's smaller than regulation?"...it's just him playing for a good time shooting around. Hell i shoot around on my nephew's 6 foot hoops sometimes. Not because i'm trying to practice but just to play around

the difference between you and your nephew's hoop is much smaller than the difference between nash and 9-foot rims, booya

iamgine
06-10-2008, 04:05 AM

I would have thought he'd say hes not allowed to play 1 on 1 or at least go half hearted and let you compete.

Kind of like when the a kid 4-5 years younger whom you just want to go away challenges you at the park.
The guy already said Nash just pull some jumpers and one post up. I think that's pretty half hearted. The OP's skill and height was just too far below.

Lebron23
06-10-2008, 04:10 AM
Tell Steve Nash to start playing defense because he is the only 2 time MVP Winner, that never lead his team in the NBA Finals despite having a better supporting casts that some of the elite players in the NBA.

Run&Gun=Fun
06-10-2008, 07:16 AM
I want to believe you but...

Why would he be playing ball at 6 am? Ok hes trying to avoid crowds..But you know he could get access to a ton of private courts.

He's getting in some training in the offseason...But why is he doing it on 9 feet rings?

Oh, hes just mucking around shooting a little...Why is he getting up at 5-5.30 to do it?

Too many inconsistencies in the story.

Post a picture, prove me wrong I dare you.

Also, if it is true and you didnt ask him a ton of questions like is Shawn Marion really a *********? Whos the best player he had to defend? has defended him? favourite teammate?....You missed a golden oppurtunity to find out about a heap of stuff.

tontoz
06-10-2008, 07:21 AM

If they are recovering from injury then random pickup games are discouraged but i don't think pickup games in general are not allowed in general. it would be hard to work on their games if they couldn't play pickup ball. Pros play pickup games with each other all the time in the summer.

Motorcycles are generally not allowed and it is stated in their contracts. Sometimes players ignore the rule though, see Jay Williams.

Kebab Stall
06-10-2008, 07:24 AM
I want to believe you, but people make these kind of threads quite regularly, so it's only natural to be a bit skeptical.

pethuel03
06-10-2008, 09:57 AM
im still in skepticism but i think it's true. nba players are also humans.

Penny4MVP2k
06-10-2008, 10:47 AM
9 foot rims? If I were you I would have been like "Hi Nelly Furtado!" and when he turned around, I woulda drove hard and dunked on him :banana:

marcus007
06-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Thats great :D You really got lucky there. I believe ya.

LJJ
06-10-2008, 11:39 AM
This is awesome man. :applause:

SRZ66
06-10-2008, 12:01 PM
i've been trying to tell people on these boards that he is honestly a legit 6'3 or with shoes just like any other 6'3 nba player. he is not as short as people think

mhg88
06-10-2008, 12:09 PM

:roll::oldlol:

VCMVP1551
06-10-2008, 12:12 PM
If that's true then that's pretty cool. The only NBA players I've met are Latrell Sprewell and Allan Houston.

i've been trying to tell people on these boards that he is honestly a legit 6'3 or with shoes just like any other 6'3 nba player. he is not as short as people think

He was measured 6'1" at the 1996 pre-draft camp.

Penny4MVP2k
06-10-2008, 12:22 PM
This reminds me of the time on ISH about 5 years back where some kid was on here telling people he ran a game with Shaq, then got a ride home from him.

He was clowned on here for a minute, but came on here and pretty much Pwned all of ISH about a month later by posting up pics with himself and Shaq at a Perkins where he saw him few days later.

Whatever happend to that dude :confusedshrug:

TheProphet
06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Tell Steve Nash to start playing defense because he is the only 2 time MVP Winner, that never lead his team in the NBA Finals despite having a better supporting casts that some of the elite players in the NBA.

That explains why Nash is always placed on Bruce Bowen.

Then again, i witnessed Kobe guarding the same guy.

Play defense? One is all defensive team member yet it's okay for him to guard the guys Steve Nash guards on the San Antonio Spurs.

Rab
06-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Steve Nash makes his offseason home in NY, and just a couple years ago, Nash was playing bball at the parks regularly.

A.M.G.
06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
"You ain't Steve Nash. Just some wannabe who looks like him."

PK3434
06-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I heard Nash also plays a lot of soccer in New York in the summer...

By the way, I saw Ray Allen and Michael Irvin in the strip club..on the same night.

Allen's mother lives in CT, and Irvin was working for ESPN at the time in CT..the strippers were very happy that night.

Killer_Instinct
06-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Kool, man. I would like to have an oppurtunity like that...go one on one with one of the best PGs in the world. Would be defintley be more of a challenge than anything I get here :oldlol: Those guys(NBA players) are incredibly talented.

Not all players.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNYln-NoWtc :oldlol:

That explains why Nash is always placed on Bruce Bowen.

Then again, i witnessed Kobe guarding the same guy.

Play defense? One is all defensive team member yet it's okay for him to guard the guys Steve Nash guards on the San Antonio Spurs.

He stays on your mind 24/7, huh? That really isn't healthy, to be obssedsed with one man like that.

NotWorthy
06-10-2008, 04:53 PM

Hey, even Nash wants to pretend he can dunk once in a while! :D

shafir
06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Alright guys, here's an update. I was at the same park this morning, talking to some of the kids that were there. One of them captured a video of Nash shooting around, he said that as of late, Nash had been playing in the courts in the area. There are three sets of courts in the area, one near the community college, one near the Hudson River, and another few near a different part of the Hudson.

Anyway, he apparently came back at around 12, and shot around. I talked to the kid with the video, and I'm not sure if it's possible to send videos via e-mail, or something, but I asked him for the video, and gave him my e-mail(felt awkward asking :ohwell: ) I hope he sends the video, but then again, he might not. I twas only like 10 seconds long, of Nash taking two jumpers, I dunno why he didn't keep taping. I saw some other guys taking a video of us playing, but they didn't seem to be there this morning.

So, if any of you are jobless, have too much time on your hands, and live in New York, go to Tribeca in the morning, to 1 or 2, you might catch him shooting around :rockon:

If I get the video, I promise I will upload it on YouTube. The kid said he might do the same, so I'll keep an eye out.

PacerRaptor
06-10-2008, 08:17 PM

he plays soccer in NY in some league....

dwight20-20
06-10-2008, 08:45 PM

Well it's a little different. Hitting a ball on a smaller field won't mess up your swing and playing on a smaller field won't mess with a football player at all but it just seems like shooting around on a 9 foot rim could mess your shot up. Because if you shoot on a 9 foot rim and get used to the rim being that low next time you shoot on a 10 foot rim it will seem really high. I'll mess around on rims that are 5-6 feet tall too but I never shoot on 9 foot rims and i definitely wouldn't if I was an NBA player. Think of it more like a kicker practicing field goals on a FG post that is a foot shorter.

shaoyut
06-10-2008, 11:36 PM
lucky guy

nash4eva!gosuns
06-10-2008, 11:42 PM
well...i'm jealous as hell.

3zazer1
06-10-2008, 11:44 PM
why was he in new york if it wasnt for charity

shafir
06-11-2008, 08:18 PM
why was he in new york if it wasnt for charity
According to earlier posts, he lives here in the off season.

Dizzay
06-11-2008, 08:32 PM
I played a game vs Bruce Bowen once. He kicked me in the face me 4 times :mad:

ZHAKIDD532
06-11-2008, 09:26 PM
I remember hearing somewhere that he plays in NY...that's really cool, and don't feel bad about the score, that would happen to 99.9% of the world's population....

nash4eva!gosuns
06-11-2008, 09:50 PM
he plays soccer with the NY Red Bull guys or something in the offseason.

that's how he stays in shape.