PDA

View Full Version : Ex-referee Tim Donaghy blows whistle on NBA dirty secrets

Pages : [1] 2

mjbulls23
06-10-2008, 06:11 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2008/06/10/2008-06-10_exreferee_tim_donaghy_blows_whistle_on_n.html

Tuesday, June 10th 2008, 4:10 PM

Tim Donaghy, who pleaded guilty to charges of betting on games he officiated, is now airing NBA's dirty laundry.

Ex-NBA referee Tim Donaghy told the feds two refs fixed the outcome of one playoff series - and that officials were told not to eject star players from games for fear of hurting ticket sales.

The bombshell allegations are contained in a court document filed Tuesday by Donaghy's lawyer. It describes the "inner workings" of the NBA in which top league executives used referees to manipulate games.

Donaghy, who pleaded guilty in Brooklyn Federal Court to charges of betting on games he officiated, told FBI agents "league officials would tell referees that they should withhold calling technical fouls on certain star players because doing so hurt ticket sales and television ratings," the document said.

Donaghy claims he was told that two refs who were "company men" acting in the interest of the NBA conspired to extend a playoff series in 2002 to a seventh game.

The referees allegedly ignored flagrant fouls committed by the team that needed to win. They also reportedly called "made-up fouls" against the other team which led to the ejection of two of their players. The team favored by the refs won that night and the next game to win the series.

The document does not name the teams. The Nets were in that playoff series, losing the championship finals to the Los Angeles Lakers.

Donaghy also claimed a supervising referee told refs that an unidentified NBA executive did not want them to call technical fouls on star players or boot them from the game.

Donaghy told feds the league reprimanded a referee who disobeyed that edict in January 2000 and ejected an unnamed star player from a game in the first quarter.

Lawyer John Lauro filed the four-page letter to Federal Judge Carol Amon because none of the information was included in the government's letter to the judge seeking leniency for Donaghy when he is sentenced next month.

Lauro has gone to war against Brooklyn federal prosecutors for offering plea deals to Donaghy's betting accomplices that give them less time than the disgraced ref, despite his extensive cooperation.

Donaghy claims referees have accepted autographs, free merchandise and meals from team coaches and managers. He told probers one referee used a team's practice facility to exercise and another played tennis with an NBA coach.

"These activities were against NBA rules, indeed, such inappropriate relationships could influence the outcome of games," Lauro wrote.

Lauro said he withheld the names of the teams, referees and league officials because the feds may still investigate the allegations.

PP34Deuce
06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
might be that LA SAC series.

refs always make makeup calls. thats nothing new. how many times do they miss a call but reward that player next time.

nicknamefrank
06-10-2008, 06:16 PM
whoa thats pretty shocking and crazy stuff
is his word believable or is he just trying to make himself betting games less serious of a crime?

BIGSHOT
06-10-2008, 06:16 PM
not surprised.

Emile
06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Nets vs who? Was it the Pacers or the Pistons that year? I don't remember anymore.. Who was it?

Anyway, crazy stuff.

mike239489
06-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Damn. Not terribly surprised to hear this accusations...they are probably sadly all true. Just sucks because it makes you lose some respect / legitimacy for the NBA. Obviously the bottom line is that it's just for entertainment and the $$$ (which involves ratings / attendance)...but still man, you want to keep things "fair."

SHEED_ gangsta
all I gotta say is...........

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

steve
There was only one playoff series that went to seven games that season.

SHEED_ gangsta
06-10-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm oficailly done with the NBA

xcesswee
06-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow, 2002 series was prob the LA vs SAC series. That's the only 7 game series that i remembered last year where game 6 and 7 were very biased on officiating

NewYorkUSCtrojan
06-10-2008, 06:21 PM

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED IS GANGSTA!!

SHEED_ gangsta
whatch this topic get deleted in a few mintues

NewYorkUSCtrojan
I'm oficailly done with the NBA

same here too brotha..SHEED is right..PURE ENTERTAINMENT!!

Poseidon
Wow, 2002 series was prob the LA vs SAC series. That's the only 7 game series that i remembered last year where game 6 and 7 were very biased on officiating

Correct. I really hope that Donaghy drops the hammer on Stern and the NBA.

Lil Bibby
06-10-2008, 06:22 PM

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

I LOVE IT WHEN CONSPIRACY THEORISTS WIN!!!

Where is David Stern's b*tch @ss...?

Lil Bibby
06-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Correct. I really hope that Donaghy drops the hammer on Stern and the NBA.

No $hit.

**** the NBA.

Emile
06-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow, it was the Lakers series..I feel awful right. Feel like giving the trophy away.

PP34Deuce
06-10-2008, 06:24 PM
where were the laker fans in 2002 about this, I was here when they justified a lot of shady calls on that SAC team.

I actually love how much they are showing hate to paul pierce and the celtics, Lamar odom printing t shirts, ur down 2-0 and losing your cool which is all good withme.

Poetic
06-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Wow, they really need to clean up the NBA in the off-season. New refs, Stern out, etc.

tian820
Wow, I'm shocked honestly. I recall those games being awfully officiated, but I can't really figure how this would be false. Donaghy is facing charges of up to 25 years in federal prison. With those kind of charges threatening, I would think he's letting this stuff out to try and shorten his sentence. People say they "know" that the NBA is fixed, but I think it's got to be pretty shocking for most people to hear that something as big as this would be fixed. That playoffs series was one of the great ones of this decade too. Would only be too bad if this is true

NewYorkUSCtrojan
Dirty..dirty...dirty.....

Eldrunko247
06-10-2008, 06:26 PM
told y'all. gencoba, eat my ****. this is old new though really. if you had any common sense you knew this a long time ago.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
NBA = WWE

fake...........

:banghead:

Poseidon
Wow, it was the Lakers series..I feel awful right. Feel like giving the trophy away.

Even as a Lakers fan, I knew that the league fixed the outcome of that 2002 series in the Lakers favor. It was so damn obvious......just like how the league has fixed the 1st 2 games of the Finals this year.

ShowTime LA
LAL/SAC 2002 WCF is correct. They just announced it. Great times to be a Laker fan.
Where did they announce it?

Eldrunko247
06-10-2008, 06:27 PM
where were the laker fans in 2002 about this, I was here when they justified a lot of shady calls on that SAC team.

I actually love how much they are showing hate to paul pierce and the celtics, Lamar odom printing t shirts, ur down 2-0 and losing your cool which is all good withme.
we knew this already. at least i did. i've been saying it all along. even our wins were rigged.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
hmmmmm..

now i am thinking of other series..where the refs "change" the outcome..

Emile
I want all the dirt out. If this is true, then I doubt it's the only incident. There's gotta be more. People need to start talking. The ship's about to sink.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
They won't mention it, but it was the only reason they counted Samaki Walker's buzzer-beating three before halftime. Yes, they didn't have instant replays yet, but it was pretty obvious he failed to get it off in time. I realized it even before they were showing 20 different angles of the replay (all of which confirmed that the refs blew the call).

ESPN just did.

yikes! they mentioned it on espn? what if they don't rigg it for LA tonight? what if Boston still gets all the calls?

ouch...

prepare for RIOT in LA>>>!

tian820
06-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Bill Plaschke is on ESPN right now talking about Game 6 of LAL/SAC in 2002.

Da Hammer
its kinda obvious that lakers vs kings series was rigged. worst officiated games of all time!!!!!!! it was disgusting to watch and i stopped watchin the NBA that next season but then i cameback sadly...

SHEED_ gangsta
told y'all. gencoba, eat my ****. this is old new though really. if you had any common sense you knew this a long time ago.

exactly I've been saying this **** for so long and ppl would think that I'm crazy or somthing NOW WHO'S CRAZY(dumb)????????

Myth
I just hope this is untrue. I just don't want to believe it. I'm going to take the stubborn approach and assume that Donaghy is making stuff up to save his own hide. Otherwise, I would be too angry to enjoy the NBA as much.

Lil Bibby
NBA = WWE

fake...........

FAKE!

Nobody wanted to listen to us.... Nobody.

I can live with steroids... I can live with a player's strike....

But fixing games to make the NBA more money = THE WORST!!!

NewYorkUSCtrojan
06-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Bill Plaschke is on ESPN right now talking about Game 6 of LAL/SAC in 2002.

I am listening to it..WOW!

Aidan
It's BS.

Donaghy is just being a *****.

SHEED_ gangsta
we all know Sacto shoud've won that series

NewYorkUSCtrojan
06-10-2008, 06:32 PM
FAKE!

I agree Lil..After the Spurs series and now with Boston getting all the calls in the first 2 games?? OUCH??

How about ATLANTA HAWKS taking Boston to GAME 7???????? WOW!!

SHEED_ gangsta
06-10-2008, 06:32 PM
FAKE!

:cheers:

icemanfan
06-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Damn. Not terribly surprised to hear this accusations...they are probably sadly all true. Just sucks because it makes you lose some respect / legitimacy for the NBA. Obviously the bottom line is that it's just for entertainment and the $$$ (which involves ratings / attendance)...but still man, you want to keep things "fair."

:applause: :hammertime:

Well said sir!

NewYorkUSCtrojan
06-10-2008, 06:34 PM
ATLANTA HAWKS taking BOSTON to 7 GAMES!!!!

Several HAWKS wins are in double digits..

Hmmmmmm

Lil Bibby
I agree Lil..After the Spurs series and now with Boston getting all the calls in the first 2 games?? OUCH??

MAKES SENSE NOW..... MORE MONEY...... WOW!!!!!

YOU Finally get proof and you want to make excuses....

NewYorkUSCtrojan = :hammerhead:

InspiredLebowski
At least I have an explanation for that Larry Johnson 4 point play now.

SHEED_ gangsta
I just hope this is untrue. I just don't want to believe it. I'm going to take the stubborn approach and assume that Donaghy is making stuff up to save his own hide. Otherwise, I would be too angry to enjoy the NBA as much.

naw man you godda face the facts why would he make this **** up? he's going to Prison either way

Indian guy
The moment I heard 2002 I knew what series it must be. And I'm sure so did it everybody else.

Mateo
06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Anyone remember in the Lakers / Wolves series a few years back when a ref was caught on mic asking the scorer's table how many fouls Shaq had?

Lil Bibby
06-10-2008, 06:37 PM

BTW.... stop defending 2008....

we are talking about the past....

THIS IS WORST THAN THE PATRIOTS

I want David Stern to tell us that it was still an isolated ref.

Get Rid of DAVID STERN NOW!!!!

bdreason
I'de like to hear Webber, Peja, and Bibby's thoughts on this.

gts
it'll be interesting to see where this goes but before everyone runs off and makes fools of themselves...look at a couple facts

this is not a federal case.
this is filed by the dirty refs (Donaghy) lawyer because the feds did nothing about it after their investigation of Donaghy

it stinks of a guy whose doing anything to save his ass and wants to drag somebody down with him, whats the basis of the suit filed?
why would he make this filing? he has nothing now, no future, his wife has left him he's a disgrace, he needs money and i'll guarantee you that when this is unraveled that will be the base for the suit filed in court

sorry not buying it yet, something doesn't add up, after the hundreds of hours of investigation by the FBI into all this before, i highly doubt they ignored this information...

NewYorkUSCtrojan
06-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Anyone remember in the Lakers / Wolves series a few years back when a ref was caught on mic asking the scorer's table how many fouls Shaq had?

Yeah, I remember that now..WOW!

How about in Game 2. Kobe got those weak 2 fouls to send him to the bench. Kobe can change the outcome of any game. Did the refs wants to take him out early to ruin his rythm on the court?

Are the NBA desperately wanting this series to go 7>?>>

This sucks man...!

bdreason
06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
And those Boston and LA trades look worse now considering these allegations are being made against the league office.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
I hear ya Lil. This is looking more shady than the New England Pats..

MK_18
This really casts a dark shadow on the NBA, but as being a laker fan, I hate it that much more just to think that their 2002 wasn't deserved. Which if the allegations are true, then it obviously isn't deserved. This also brings up question about other series too, like the 2006 Finals and such and it makes all the conspiracies about rigging the draft seem a lot more logical.

Hopefully this isn't true, but if it is, I dont know how Stern could possibly cover it up or fix the situation and it will definitely hurt the league. I mean I watch sports, especially the NBA, to see something real and feel the emotion of the game, the players, etc.. but if all this is true, I guess I'll be better off just watching some bad TV show.

Aidan
06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Isn't it amazing how the first NBA employee to make such allegations is one who just wants to hurt the organisation ?

It's not true. It can't be. Something would have come out before this. Think of the thousands of people the NBA employs, someone would have come out with serious allegations before Donaghy.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
And those Boston and LA trades look worse now considering these allegations are being made against the league office.

Boston getting: KG , Ray Allen (1st in the East)

LA getting: Pau (1st in the West)

The NBA is looking shaky....

Put Back Dunk
06-10-2008, 06:41 PM
ATLANTA HAWKS taking BOSTON to 7 GAMES!!!!

Several HAWKS wins are in double digits..

Hmmmmmm

The Hawks permieter shooting was great in game 3 and there wasn't any over the top bad calls or way too many free throws for either team. They just flat out won game 3. However, in games 4 and 6 in Atlanta the Hawks had a combined 80 free throws. They were definitely the more aggressive team offensively, but 80 is just crazy in comparison to the other games in Boston and even game 3 in Atlanta. Every game in Boston was a blowout. Something doesn't add up here.

Lil Bibby
06-10-2008, 06:41 PM
it'll be interesting to see where this goes but before everyone runs off and makes fools of themselves...look at a couple facts

this is not a federal case.
this is filed by the dirty refs (Donaghy) lawyer because the feds did nothing about it after their investigation of Donaghy

it stinks of a guy whose doing anything to save his ass and wants to drag somebody down with him, whats the basis of the suit filed?
why would he make this filing?

sorry not buying it yet, something doesn't add up, after the hundreds of hours of investigation by the FBI into all this before, i highly doubt they ignored this information...

Not Buying it yet?... Wow.

Do we need another Donaghy incident for you to start seeing the writing on the wall.

SHEED_ gangsta
06-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Isn't it amazing how the first NBA employee to make such allegations is one who just wants to hurt the organisation ?

It's not true. It can't be. Something would have come out before this. Think of the thousands of people the NBA employs, someone would have come out with serious allegations before Donaghy.

it's ok to be in denial

Aidan
06-10-2008, 06:43 PM
it's ok to be in denial

Is it okay to believe a mafia-related, wife beating ex ref bull-****ting about the league?

Lil Bibby
06-10-2008, 06:44 PM
I hear ya Lil. This is looking more shady than the New England Pats..

Well what else do you want to see?

Another Donahey incodent where he spills the beans....

How about the Mavs trade Dirk to Cleveland for Ben Wallace?

That would be on the same level as the Gasol trade.

Sroek
06-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Anyone who thinks just because a few refs try to steer certain games in one direction, means that the entire league is rigged and scripted, is a class A idiot.

Tarik One
Perhaps Jeff Van Gundy's accusations from a few years back are justified.

Lil Bibby
Is it okay to believe a mafia-related, wife beating ex ref bull-****ting about the league?

So now that he's facing all this time in prison... the best thing to do is to lie more?

That's what I would do

:hammerhead:

Eldrunko247

T Mac "The Mavs/Heat Finals looked rigged"

Sheed "It's all entertainment"

JVG-inside info on how games were going to be called

Lil Bibby
06-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Anyone who thinks just because a few refs try to steer certain games in one direction that the entire league is rigged and scripted is a class A idiot.

A few refs is no big deal... I know.

White Chocolate
06-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Donaghy claims he was told that two refs who were "company men" acting in the interest of the NBA conspired to extend a playoff series in 2002 to a seventh game.

*cough* Lakers/Kings *cough*

Lil Bibby
06-10-2008, 06:49 PM
refs who were "company men"

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

The NBA has done some bad things.

Sroek
06-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Refs don't make or miss shots. Refs don't get defensive stops. Refs don't grab rebounds. All they can do is make shitty calls, which can sometimes cost certain teams wins. We've all known that for years, it's nothing new. If this somehow changes your perception of the league, then you're retarded.

Eldrunko247
06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Refs don't make or miss shots. Refs don't get defensive stops. Refs don't grab rebounds. All they can do is make shitty calls, which can sometimes cost certain teams wins. We've all known that for years, it's nothing new. If this somehow changes your perception of the league, then you're retarded.
who the **** are you telling everyone how to think?

SHEED_ gangsta
06-10-2008, 06:51 PM

ok but what does he really gain for making up bull**** stories ? and it's not even like these things are hard to believe!! have you been whacthing basketball the past 5-7 years? jesus

gts
06-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Not Buying it yet?... Wow.

Do we need another Donaghy incident for you to start seeing the writing on the wall.ok Doomsday explain to me

WHY THE FEDS DIDN"T FILE IT?

Why is this suit filed by Donaghy's lawer? The lawer for the only guy found guilty of wrong doing?

Even if he had been found innocent or never implicated in the first place ask yourself

when you see a crime committed do you

A. Tell the authorities
B. Do nothing
C. Run to court and file a suit against the person or persons you saw commit the crime?

Evidently Donaghy chose B. then when convicted and totally disgraced decided to go for C.

both of which are the wrong answer

Lawyer John Lauro filed the four-page letter to Federal Judge Carol Amon because none of the information was included in the government's letter to the judge seeking leniency for Donaghy when he is sentenced next month.

Lauro has gone to war against Brooklyn federal prosecutors for offering plea deals to Donaghy's betting accomplices that give them less time than the disgraced ref, despite his extensive cooperation.

Donaghy claims referees have accepted autographs, free merchandise and meals from team coaches and managers. He told probers one referee used a team's practice facility to exercise and another played tennis with an NBA coach.

RIMMER
06-10-2008, 06:53 PM

NBA refs have more power than any other ref to dictate the outcome of a game.

mjbulls23
06-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Refs don't make or miss shots. Refs don't get defensive stops. Refs don't grab rebounds. All they can do is make shitty calls, which can sometimes cost certain teams wins. We've all known that for years, it's nothing new.
the NBA is more dependent on officiating than any other sport.

RIMMER
ok Doomsday explain to me

Why is this suit filed by Donaghy's lawer? The lawer for the only guy found guilty of wrong doing?

Even if he had been found innocent or never implicated in the first place ask yourself

A. Tell the authorities
B. Do nothing
C. Run to court and file a suit against the person or persons you saw commit the crime?

Evidently Donaghy chose B. then when convicted and totally disgraced decided to go for C.

Honestly, only Laker fans will come to the NBA's defense in this scenerio, since its the Lakers championship that will clearly be tarnished forever in the eyes of the basketball nation.

Sonic R
WOW! :eek:

This thread is blowing up like nitro

SHEED_ gangsta
06-10-2008, 06:55 PM
ok Doomsday explain to me

A. Tell the authorities
B. Do nothing

$$$$$$$$$$

jbot
06-10-2008, 06:55 PM
the nba might be getting a kick in the butt soon. stern is probably sweating right now.

Aidan
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
ok but what does he really gain for making up bull**** stories ?

When two people break up in bad circumstances, some people start spreadinhg BS rumors to make the other person look bad.
Same thing here.

Yeah, Ref's make some bad calls, but it's the same in most sports.

Myth
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
naw man you godda face the facts why would he make this **** up? he's going to Prison either way

A reduced sentence. :confusedshrug:

The man has plenty of reason to lie. I'm not saying he is lying, but he could be. I just enjoy basketball too much to want to believe the accusations. I enjoy watching the NBA but it wouldn't be the same if I were to think of it like WWE. I'm just going to try to keep faith and hope that the league is legit until a more reliable source says the league is fixed.

Emile
06-10-2008, 06:58 PM
I get what GTS is saying but I usually trust my instinct..perhaps too much...something just tells me this is true. And there's gotta be way more.
Wish he named those two company men. This could get pretty insane.

Aidan
06-10-2008, 06:59 PM

The man has plenty of reason to lie. I'm not saying he is lying, but he could be. I just enjoy basketball too much to want to believe the accusations. I enjoy watching the NBA but it wouldn't be the same if I were to think of it like WWE. I'm just going to try to keep faith and hope that the league is legit until a more reliable source says the league is fixed.

Exactly.

If a truly reliable source comes out and says its fixed, fine.

RIMMER
06-10-2008, 07:00 PM
I get what GTS is saying but I usually trust my instinct..perhaps too much...something just tells me this is true. And there's gotta be way more.
Wish he named those two company men. This could get pretty insane.

You said it. INSTINCT. The minute I heard of this accusation, guess what series immediately came to mind, out of the hundreds of NBA series I've seen through the many years?

LAKERS VS KINGS, WCF 2002

Sroek
06-10-2008, 07:01 PM
NBA refs have more power than any other ref to dictate the outcome of a game.

the NBA is more dependent on officiating than any other sport.

I disagree. Refs are equally as crucial in American football.

The Patriots were clearly supposed to win the Superbowl, you don't see people crying about how the NFL is rigged. I have proof that the clock management officials gave the Giants extra time.

sixerfan82
06-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Anyone find it odd that he just happens to point out the 2002 LAL/SAC series when we all thought something was up with game 6?

gyu
06-10-2008, 07:02 PM
To those who always tell fans not to complain about the refs for a teams loss,
THERE, a reason to complain because it could be really one-sided.

aznboy2k2
06-10-2008, 07:03 PM
You said it. INSTINCT. The minute I heard of this accusation, guess what series immediately came to mind, out of the hundreds of NBA series I've seen through the many years?

LAKERS VS KINGS, WCF 2002

You know whats the sad part about all of this.

Rick Adelman lost his job because he was always dubbed as the guy who couldn't finish.

Now we know why he couldn't finish.

Eldrunko247
06-10-2008, 07:03 PM

he could get a longer sentence for lying. think about it. everyone thought canseco was lying.

mhg88
06-10-2008, 07:04 PM
I disagree. Refs are equally as crucial in American football.

The Patriots were clearly supposed to win the Superbowl, you don't see people crying about how the NFL is rigged. I have proof that the clock management officials gave the Giants extra time.

:roll: :roll: :cry: :cry:

SHEED_ gangsta
06-10-2008, 07:04 PM

you think I don't enjoy it to? I have league pass, Raptors TV,a I have probly missed about 2 games of my home team and whacthed or glanced at probly 75% of all the games this season you think I'm not bummed about this? I was once like you, refusing to believe the NBA was dirty but more and more **** kept happening now it's undeniailbe hopfully the NBA gets a mjor shake up and things can be 100% basketball agian

ZOMG
06-10-2008, 07:05 PM
I love how Donaghy's one-man smear campaign is suddenly "the official proof" that the league is rigged. :roll:

Anyone who's ever played or coached organized basketball knows how insanely difficult it would be for a ref to decide the outcome of a game. It doesn't especially surprise me, though, that all the paranoid armchair experts at ISH are ready to believe this crap in a second. After all, it's something they've wanted to hear ever since they started following basketball three years ago.

Get real, people. Everyone knows the NBA is a business and the game isn't called completely fairly - things like "superstar treatment" have been going on for God knows how long, and they've been accepted into the fabric of the pro game.

Donaghy will never have proof to back up anything he says, and that's precisely why he's making these accusations. The guy has nothing to lose but he can make himself look a little better by claiming that he wasn't the only rotten apple.

Put Back Dunk
06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Although I tend to believe some of this, we have to look at Donaghy for what he is; a liar. He lied to the general public by going along with these same tactics he's accusing other refs of using, and betting on games while doing so for years. Only now, after being caught and losing a job does he come forth with this. And he's the only ex-ref saing this as well. Also, the timing is a bit odd don't you think? The NBA Finals, the only time of year when casual fans pay attention to the NBA is now tarnished with this story. Perfect storm or perfectly executed plan?

Either way you'd have to be a fool to believe that some games weren't called favorably by the refs for one reason or another, BUT you would be an even bigger fool to believe that every game, every trade, every little detail of the NBA is somehow planned and scripted by the league. If other refs come out and say the same thing it will lend more credibility to the accusations, but until then this is simply a disgruntled ex-employee saying things that can't be proved one way or the other at the moment.

gts
06-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Anyone find it odd that he just happens to point out the 2002 LAL/SAC series when we all thought something was up with game 6?It doesn't it said conspired to, it doesn't mean they did it...

Donaghy claims he was told that two refs who were “company men” acting in the interest of the NBA conspired to extend a playoff series in 2002 to a seventh game.

see what i'm saying read that article again, then read it again..it's just a smoke sceen

the feds knew about this information and did nothing about it...
why would they do that?
these are the kinds of cases that make careers for these guys...

RIMMER
06-10-2008, 07:10 PM
God, so many of your idiots are still in denial. Do you know how many hundreds of MILLIONS are made through sports betting and TV ratings? Do you honestly believe every single player or referee or executive in every sport is LEGIT?

This is living proof that a series we have been questioning for years was RIGGED. The only people who would deny this are in total denial.

Myth
06-10-2008, 07:10 PM
you think I don't enjoy it to? I have league pass, Raptors TV,a I have probly missed about 2 games of my home team and whacthed or glanced at probly 75% of all the games this season you think I'm not bummed about this? I was once like you, refusing to believe the NBA was dirty but more and more **** kept happening now it's undeniailbe hopfully the NBA gets a mjor shake up and things can be 100% basketball agian

I never said you don't enjoy it.

When I was younger, I liked the WWF. When I found out it was fake, I didn't enjoy it as much and ultimately stopped watching. I don't want the same to happen to the NBA as what happened in my eyes to the WWF. Some people still like the WWF. I don't. The moment I believe the NBA is fake, I won't like it as much. I don't want that to happen, so until there is undeniable facts that say the NBA is fake, I'm going to take all the little bits of evidence with a grain of salt.

Emile
06-10-2008, 07:12 PM

When I was younger, I liked the WWF. When I found out it was fake, I didn't enjoy it as much and ultimately stopped watching. I don't want the same to happen to the NBA as what happened in my eyes to the WWF. Some people still like the WWF. I don't. The moment I believe the NBA is fake, I won't like it as much. I don't want that to happen, so until there is undeniable facts that say the NBA is fake, I'm going to take all the little bits of evidence with a grain of salt.

WWE's a show. You gotta look at it from a different perspective. It's not a competitive sport but it offers many great things, athletically, theatrically, can have great storyline angles, lots of things...

This is obviously completely different here.

Sroek
06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
I love how Donaghy's one-man smear campaign is suddenly "the official proof" that the league is rigged. :roll:

Anyone who's ever played or coached organized basketball knows how insanely difficult it would be for a ref to decide the outcome of a game. It doesn't especially surprise me, though, that all the paranoid armchair experts at ISH are ready to believe this crap in a second. After all, it's something they've wanted to hear ever since they started following basketball three years ago.

Get real, people. Everyone knows the NBA is a business and the game isn't called completely fairly - things like "superstar treatment" have been going on for God knows how long, and they've been accepted into the fabric of the pro game.

Donaghy will never have proof to back up anything he says, and that's precisely why he's making these accusations. The guy has nothing to lose but he can make himself look a little better by claiming that he wasn't the only rotten apple.

Agreed. The majority of ISH members aren't capable of forming their own conclusions from critical analysis.

Aidan
06-10-2008, 07:13 PM
he could get a longer sentence for lying. think about it. everyone thought canseco was lying.

Donaghy lying about this wouldn't increase his court sentence.

Playing serious, competitive basketball myself, the better team always comes out on top. I've played in matches where officals are members of the opposing club, and our team has still come out on top.

Cream rises to the top, fellas.

Emile
06-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Bob Delaney, the same guy who called Celtics vs Lakers Game 2 also reffed that game 6 of the Lakers Kings series.
Perhaps just a coincidence. Then again. Who knows. Food for thought.

aznboy2k2
06-10-2008, 07:16 PM

Playing serious, competitive basketball myself, the better team always comes out on top. I've played in matches where officals are members of the opposing club, and our team has still come out on top.

I hope the refs today, come out and foul Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom out. Lets see how fast the cream rises to the top.

NoGunzJustSkillz
Wow this is crazy sht. This updated story on espn gives much more details than giving before. Wow..

Jeff Van Gundy ultimately backed off comments that a referee told him officials had targeted Yao Ming in the Houston Rockets' 2005 first-round playoff series against the Dallas Mavericks. Maybe Van Gundy was right after all.

A letter sent to the sentencing court on behalf of convicted former referee Tim Donaghy outlines just such a plan. Donaghy's legal team is trying to demonstrate his cooperation with a federal government investigation before he is sentenced on July 14 on felony charges for taking cash payoffs from gamblers and betting on games himself.

In other documents filed with the Brooklyn court, Donaghy's lawyers responded to the NBA's claim that he must pay $1 million in restitution to cover the cost of the league's private investigation.

The letter alleging referees altered games mentions only the year 2005, but the circumstances make it apparent that it is referring to the Rockets-Mavs series.

"Team 3 lost the first two games in the series and Team 3's owner complained to NBA officials," the letter says. "Team 3's owner alleged that referees were letting a Team 4 player get away with illegal screens. NBA Executive Y told Referee Supervisor Z that the referees for that game were to enforce the screening rules strictly against that Team 4 player. Referee Supervisor Z informed the referees about his instructions. As an alternate referee for that game, Tim also received these instructions."

Mavs owner Mark Cuban complained after his team lost the first two games of the series, and Dallas went on to beat Houston in seven games. Van Gundy said that a working referee had told him about the league's plan. Donaghy's letter claims that Supervisor Z contacted the coach. Van Gundy was fined $100,000.

Looking at box scores from the series, however, the only game in which Yao fouled out was Game 1. He did average 4.4 fouls per game in the series.

The letter also details an incident in the 2002 playoffs in which Donaghy alleges that two referees, who were known as NBA "company men," wanted to extend a series to seven games. "Team 5" could have wrapped up the series in Game 6 but saw two players foul out, lost the game and ultimately the series.

Only one series went to seven games in the 2002 playoffs: Los Angeles Lakers against Sacramento Kings.

In Game 6, the Lakers made 34-of-40 free throws to 18-of-25 for the Kings. In the fourth quarter alone, Los Angeles hit 21-of-27 from the line while Sacramento made 7-of-9. After that game, a 106-102 Lakers win, Kings coach Rick Adelman expressed his frustration with the officiating.

"Our big guys get 20 fouls tonight and [Shaquille O'Neal] gets four? You tell me how the game went," Adelman said. "It's just the way it is. Obviously, they got the game called the way they wanted to get it called." Donaghy also alleges that team executives conspired with the league to prevent star players from being called for too many fouls or being ejected. He claimed that league officials told referees that doing so would "hurt ticket sales and television ratings."

According to the letter, when an official did eject a star player in the first quarter of a game in 2000, he was privately reprimanded.

In addition to game-altering allegations, Donaghy's letter claims that many officials carry on "relationships" with team executives, coaches and players that violate their NBA contracts.

"Tim described one referee's use of a team's practice facility to exercise and another's frequent tennis matches with a team's coach," the letter states.

The NBA has not commented on Donaghy's allegations. Donaghy's attorney and federal prosecutors also declined to comment to The Associated Press on Tuesday. Donaghy faces up to 33 months in prison.

ZOMG
By the way, if you think the NBA will allow itself to be drawn into a public shouting match with Donaghy over his accusations, you're insane.

As has been pointed out, NOTHING can be proven one way or the other. And that's just the way Donaghy likes it. He has nothing to lose, while the League has everything to lose.

Donaghy knows the NBA won't be asking for proof, so he can keep running his mouth and spinning this thing in his own favour.

Sroek

Fake and tainted are completely different concepts. The WWE is acting. The NBA is real competition with real athletes. While the WWE is fake, the NBA isn't, it can only be tainted by corrupt officials.

icemanfan

and yet Donaghy is fixing to do time for exactly that. So what you are saying is it would have taken more than Donaghy himself that others had to be envolved? Because if that is not what you are trying to say then the rest of your post is nonsence. The fact remains the guys is fixing to do time for doing what you say can not be done. :ohwell:

aznboy2k2
06-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Agreed. The majority of ISH members aren't capable of forming their own conclusions from critical analysis.

I'm assuming both of you guys are Laker fans? Relatives to David Stern, perhaps.

Magic_Johnson
06-10-2008, 07:17 PM
2002 *

icemanfan
06-10-2008, 07:18 PM
I hope the refs today, come out and foul Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom out. Lets see how fast the cream rises to the top.
if the refs foul them wouldn't that be assault? :confusedshrug:

highwhey
06-10-2008, 07:18 PM

David Stern will never make it possible. I'm sure Stern will pull something out of his ass pretty soon and respond to this article. Like always, he will act innocent and pretend like he didn't know anything about the incident even though he is in charge of making sure games are properly officiated. Rigged or not, Stern needs to go.

aznboy2k2
06-10-2008, 07:19 PM
if the refs foul them wouldn't that be assault? :confusedshrug:

I think so. :)

bladefd
whoa thats pretty shocking and crazy stuff
is his word believable or is he just trying to make himself betting games less serious of a crime?

Both. I mean what does Donaghy have to lose by telling everyone if it is the truth? At first, I seriously thought he was just BS'ing but Donaghy said stuff about it and elaborated on it too many times for him to be making it all up. You guys have to remember that not every part in the letter was disclosed; only the main points in it was put out. Since it was sent to the court, I guarantee that it was a few pages long with detailed elaborations but not all of it will be given out to the media.

The next step is trying to prove it. A court will not take a case if there is nothing to prove it other than some criminal's word. I seriously wonder if they have some actual proof to prove it at this point. I guess if they did, a lawsuit would have been placed against the NBA by now. I really don't know what Donaghy and his crew plans on doing because his word alone will not be enough to incriminate David Stern and the massive NBA business with a whole group of personal lawyers. It is one man's(or criminal in this case) word against the entire nba staff along with Stern himself. Unless if another active referee or some other NBA staff has some proof of it and decide to bring it up to the media, I don't see anything really going on against Stern.

IMO, the feds should get a secret court order to install spying bugs and other equipment and put them in throughout the referee's room before several games and spy on the ref's phones or something. Hell, somebody like Mark Cuban can pay some private investigation company to do it also(Remember, Cuban talked against the refs several times so he is not in on it with them). He has TONS of money to throw away and even though it would be illegal to do it without court's approval, it is no big deal. The person would be fined and possibly will have to do community service or something for illegal spying but the nba's picture will be tainted forever. Only thing Stern will be able to do is resign along with possibly some of the referees. The question is: Who will be willing to do that? Hell, the person could illegal install the spying tools and submit the information to the media anonymously. :confusedshrug:

Eldrunko247

what about canseco? everyone thought this guy was scum. turns out he wasn't lying after all. all the mlb good guy heroes turned out to be roiding lying freaks. the nfl knew the pats were cheating for years. the best teams do rise to the top but the nba has the final say. you ever watch top chef? they have a disclaimer in the credits saying the producers of the show have the final say. same with the nba.

icemanfan
2002 *
honestly it has always been a big question mark. Just form the Shaq charging fouls alone he should have been gone at 1/2 time in each of those games vs the kings. But they just would not call it.

Emile
06-10-2008, 07:20 PM
****ing **** I Don't Believe This!! Wow:

NewYorkUSCtrojan
06-10-2008, 07:20 PM
http://thumpernewman.com/David%20Stern.jpg

icemanfan
06-10-2008, 07:21 PM
David Stern will never make it possible. I'm sure Stern will pull something out of his ass pretty soon and respond to this article. Like always, he will act innocent and pretend like he didn't know anything about the incident even though he is in charge of making sure games are properly officiated. Rigged or not, Stern needs to go.
and Joey Crawford.

Remix
if they really wanted money wouldn't they have extended the WAS/CLE series?

Younggrease
This is horrible for the Lakers...

Refs call ba in the first 2 games...now maybe the refs wont even it out in LA...Donaghy is rigging the games from the sidelines

GOBB
06-10-2008, 07:22 PM
You made your bed (benefitted from your wrongdoing), now sleep in it (do the time). I mean what he says is far fetched imo. I can see people believing him and whatever. But I'll believe when he says "A group of us set out to fix games because it was an easy payoff. The money? We couldnt pass up. Seemed too easy.". But dont tell me mofos from the league office is in on it. And on the day a finals game is to be played after PHil Jackson blasted officiating. Like come on. His lawyers are really getting this guy going it seems.

You did the crime, do the damn time. It sux, but you didnt think about these consequences or took them seriously if you did think of them. Now you're at the point you didnt think you would be in. MAN UP! Dont be trying to sabotage the damn league, skew peoples perceptions of the game who didnt have these thoughts/feelings. Like really, its lame.

And to those who feel the league, game is fixed? Fine, feel free to do so. But for folks changing thier mind because of this prick? Dont.

Mad corny man.

Fatal9
06-10-2008, 07:23 PM
**** the NBA. It's hard not to believe him.

I really don't know if I can watch it next year at all. Game 2 of Lakers-Celtics in conjunction with this story, are the tipping points for me. I would almost bet money that the league is already extending this series. Think about it, if they give the Celtics game 2, that means the series is going at least 6 or 7 games because they don't allow the Lakers to finish the Celtics at home (in 5 games). League probably assumed Lakers would win at least 2 of the 3 at home. A 1-1 series with 3 straight games at home for the Lakers was probably too big of a risk that they decided to help Boston out in game 2.

highwhey
06-10-2008, 07:24 PM
and Joey Crawford.
I will be plenty happy when Stern leaves, seriously. :banana:

Usually I'm not much of a believer when it comes to conspiracies but I know that LA-Boston will be extended...if I'm correct LA should win Tonight.

-primetime-
06-10-2008, 07:24 PM
DALLAS / HEAT

has this series been brought up yet in this thread???

Lebron23
06-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Sacramento Kings= Uncrowned World Champion. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Poseidon
06-10-2008, 07:26 PM
**** the NBA. It's hard not to believe him.

I really don't know if I can watch it next year at all. Game 2 of Lakers-Celtics in conjunction with this story, are the tipping points for me. I would almost bet money that the league is already extending this series. Think about it, if they give the Celtics game 2, that means the series is going at least 6 or 7 games because they don't allow the Lakers to finish the Celtics at home (in 5 games). League probably assumed Lakers would win at least 2 of the 3 at home. A 1-1 series with 3 straight games at home for the Lakers was probably too big of a risk that they just help Boston out in game 2.

Now that this story broke, the NBA is going to screw the Lakers in their home games to "PROVE" that they don't rig games (since everyone is expecting the Lakers to get the favorable calls).

Amazing that this story broke BEFORE the Lakers HOME games and not before Game 1 or Game 2 in Boston. :banghead:

F*CK YOU DAVID STERN AND THE NBA!!!!!

ZOMG
06-10-2008, 07:27 PM
if they really wanted money wouldn't they have extended the WAS/CLE series?

You don't get it. When it comes to conspiracy theories, you only pick the cases that support your theory and conveniently forget the rest. That's how it always works.

Also, Donaghy is well aware that the Lakers are the perfect team to involve in his accusations. Even the non basketball fans know about them and 90% of the hardcore fans despise them.

"Lakers + conspiracy = insane media time"

-primetime-
06-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Sacramento Kings= Uncrowned World Champion. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Dallas Mavericks= Uncrowned World Champion. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

icemanfan
06-10-2008, 07:28 PM
I will be plenty happy when Stern leaves, seriously. :banana:

Usually I'm not much of a believer when it comes to conspiracies but I know that LA-Boston will be extended...if I'm correct LA should win Tonight.
personally i will be shocked to see this series go anything less than seven games. Next three should be ref'd heavy in the Lakers favor, then game six heavy in the Celtics favor then the will call off the dogs and ref game seven even and make it a TRUE one game series winner takes it all.

GOBB
06-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Now that this story broke, the NBA is going to screw the Lakers in their home games to "PROVE" that they don't rig games (since everyone is expecting the Lakers to get the favorable calls).

Amazing that this story broke BEFORE the Lakers HOME games and not before Game 1 or Game 2 in Boston. :banghead:

Yeah you know what Stern is gonna do before he does it. Every fan on this board that uttered what Stern was/would do has been WRONG.

Its been how many years since the NYK won the damn lottery? :rolleyes:

Stern isnt gonna screw over anyone because he doesnt control the refs. The refs control themselves. I swear people come up with crap.

First its Stern will make this go 7 cuz of the $$$
Now Stern is gonna have Lakers lose so people wont believe the league is rigged. Like that is gonna change anyones mind if he actually were to do it. :sleeping

DuMa
06-10-2008, 07:31 PM
well dammit. i knew this day was coming. the NBA is heading for the dark ages again.

TripleDouble123
So if this stuff is true, has Tim Donaghy gone from public enemy number 1 to savior? David Stern is now the enemy if this is true.

Myth
Fake and tainted are completely different concepts. The WWE is acting. The NBA is real competition with real athletes. While the WWE is fake, the NBA isn't, it can only be tainted by corrupt officials.

I wasn't trying to say it is a direct comparison or anything. My point was that people are trying to say that the outcomes are previously decided at times (important times) and I would rather not believe such a thing. I'd also rather accept that the Lakers won legitimately rather than becoming bitter about a series that happened 6 years ago.

mlh1981
06-10-2008, 07:32 PM
The NBA was damn lucky when Donaghy went down in that this story was going on at the same time at the Michael Vick dogfighting scandal, and Barry Bonds' chase of the HR record.

This news, if it does get bigger and steamroll, will unlikely have to face such stiff competition this time around for news headlines/chatter, etc

Poseidon
06-10-2008, 07:32 PM
personally i will be shocked to see this series go anything less than seven games. Next three should be ref'd heavy in the Lakers favor, then game six heavy in the Celtics favor then the will call off the dogs and ref game seven even and make it a TRUE one game series winner takes it all.

NOT after this bombshell. I wouldn't be shocked IF the NBA tries to end this series ASAP (ie Celtics sweep) in order to quickly exit "stage left" and not have their name in the headlines as much. So typical of something that David Stern would do.

Aidan
06-10-2008, 07:34 PM

I've actually never seen a homer like you.

You, my friend, are an idiot.

You think the NBA would hold off letting this story break before the Laker home games? They wouldnt have wanted this bs story to break at all, in case idiots like you believed it.

And either way, you people will no doubt believe, if the refs favour Boston, they were only trying to convince people that the league wasn't fixed and if they favour LA, 'omg the league is fixing this to go to 7 games.;

RandomBalla55
I put Jose Canseco and Tim Donaghy in the EXACT same boat.

Both guys are *********s. Both guys are idiots. But both guys know about shady stuff. And Jose Canseco wasn't lying when he said so-and-so juiced.

And, to be honest, I believe Donaghy when he says this.

Anyway, it was pretty sad to watch Sacramento vs LA in 2002. Especially when Mike Bibby got a foul called on him thanks to a Kobe elbow which broke his nose. That all about sealed it.

statman32
Its pretty amusing for some of you to question Donaghys credibilty but not mention Sterns lying and questionable behavior. Dont forget that Stern let a lot of referees off the hook for rule violations this summer and has been inconsisant with his decisions for the past 5 or so years.

I'm glad Donaghy released this info now, during the finals because if he would have done it at any other time of the year, Stern would have found some way to sweep everything under the rug.

Emile
06-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Its pretty amusing for some of you to question Donaghys credibilty but not mention Sterns lying and questionable behavior. Dont forget that Stern let a lot of referees off the hook for rule violations this summer and has been inconsisant with his decisions for the past 5 or so years.

I'm glad Donaghy released this info now, during the finals because if he would have done it at any other time of the year, Stern would have found some way to sweep everything under the rug.

For the first time ever, I agree with you completely.
Donaghy was very specific about everything this time around. It needs to be heavily looked into.

highwhey
06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Who cares if Tim is lying or not, this will bring media attention to Stern, much needed attention. Maybe his ass will finally get fired.

ZOMG
06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
has Tim Donaghy gone from public enemy number 1 to savior?

I'm glad Donaghy released this info

Oh man. I don't even know what to say anymore. :confusedshrug:

statman32
06-10-2008, 07:40 PM
The N.B.A. doesn't like to acknowledge the potential presence of a cheating gene in its midst. In the late 90's, more than 20 league officials were hit with tax-evasion charges when they exchanged their first-class tickets for coach seats and kept the change. Two years ago, in court documents filed by Karla Knafel, a former mistress of Michael Jordan's, the official Eddie F. Rush was described as the matchmaker who played cupid for the clandestine couple.

Tax cheating, wife cheating. It is not so difficult to assume that deceptive practices could transfer to the basketball court, but the league doesn't view it that way.

The N.B.A. reinstated a few of the tax evaders, and Rush was later promoted, even though he might have crossed an implied code against cozy conduct.

Interesting stuff from a old article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/05/sports/basketball/05roberts.html

NewYorkUSCtrojan
06-10-2008, 07:41 PM
joey Crawford

Myth
06-10-2008, 07:42 PM

:roll:

I can see the NBA execs now:

Exec #1: "Crap. They're on to us."

Exec #2: "How do we convince them that we aren't rigging games?"

Exec #3: "I know! Lets rig game 3."

Exec 1 & 2: "Brilliant!"

statman32
06-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Oh man. I don't even know what to say anymore. :confusedshrug:
Thats because you are clueless. You want to destroy the credibility of Donaghy when Stern is just as big of a crook. The difference between the two is Stern is at the top and its nearly impossible to take out the king. He controls these refs. Just think. What would some of these refs done if Stern actually punished them this summer for there rules violations? You think MAYBE they would have talked? Well well never know because Stern went against other rulings and decided not to punish any of these refs.

That also brings me to who let out the information about other refs gambling at casinos and breaking other rules? Donoghy. Well he was right there. Thats at least 1 thing that boosts his credibilty.

statman32
06-10-2008, 07:45 PM
This expands my thoughts on what Stern did this off-season in regards to the refs.

When I first read about NBA commissioner David Stern's recent revisions to his league's rules regarding referees and gambling, I thought it was a Stephen Colbert parody. Stern -- the man who has consistently ruled with an iron fist regarding players -- was all of a sudden being considerate and reasonable? He couldn't be serious.

David Stern

Chris Graythen/NBAE via Getty Images

David Stern didn't handle the referee scandal the same way he's handled player scandals, that's for sure.
But he was serious. In the aftermath of the Tim Donaghy scandal -- a scandal that cuts right to the core of the NBA's credibility -- Stern determined the league's rules involving referees and gambling were outdated. He decided to relax the rules regarding referee gambling, in an attempt to bring these rules more in line with contemporary social attitudes. Stern's change of course suggests he recognizes that, as times change, rules sometimes need to be adapted. Stern demonstrated he is not a strict constructionist, but is instead someone who is willing to admit fault and make appropriate changes when necessary. This is all quite admirable, I think.

It is also quite hypocritical.

In the past, when Stern has issued rulings regarding player conduct -- such as the dress code, or the policy about not talking back to referees -- he's been less than understanding. In these cases, he's operated more like a dictator than a considerate authority figure. That's why it was so unusual watching Stern squirm when addressing the media about the Donaghy scandal earlier this summer -- because he always comes off so self-assured when handing out player discipline. Perhaps Stern should've been paying more attention to what was going on with the refs, instead of telling grown men what to wear? Maybe then this problem might have been avoided.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=boyd/071105

Nothing fishy about his decision eh? :rolleyes:

statman32
06-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Lets not forget how careless the NBA is with there investigations.

[QUOTE]In January 2005, Stern said, the NBA investigated a dispute between Donaghy and a West Chester, Pa., neighbor.

The neighbors, Pete and Lisa Mansueto, sued Donaghy for harassment and invasion of privacy, and accused him of vandalizing their property and stalking Lisa Mansueto. In their lawsuit, the Mansuetos also alleged that Donaghy set fire to a tractor they owned and crashed their golf cart from Radley Run Country Club into a ravine.

[B]During the NBA investigation, there were allegations that Donaghy was gambling

NoGunzJustSkillz
06-10-2008, 07:54 PM
i always thought it was funny style the way stern lifted the casino ban rite at the begining of all this donaghy stuff. perfect timing, lol.

statman32
06-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Heres some quotes from Davis Stern on The Dan Patrick show after the Suns suspensions last year.

Some key Stern quotes:

There is no way to know if someone is running out on the court as friend or foe. When Rudy Tomjanovich was running out to see what was going on and trying to break up a fight, his face was forever changed. ...

It's not being decided by [Robert Horry]. It's being decided by two Phoenix Suns who knew about the rule, forgot about it, couldn't control themselves, and didn't have coaches who could control them. And don't you forget it. Now, is it exactly fair? Probably not. Is it a red letter rule? Absolutely. Did cost other players and teams their playoffs and championships? Yes. So, I guess there's no way for us to get the message through. Do you think next year the players will understand it?

I'm unhappy with the result. If the owners would like to change it, I'm happy to do it, believe me. I'd be very happy to do it. But to listen to the palaver that Robert Horry changed the series is just silly. What changed the series is that Amare and Boris ran out onto the court.

Stern also later added "I guess it's a shame that I have a rule that I have to enforce," although he also adds that in the decade that rule has been in effect, no owner has ever suggested a change. Finally, he does not volunteer that the rule has anything to do with the image of the league, but says that it is about making sure players don't get hurt or killed.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-24-75/David-Stern-on-Dan-Patrick-s-Show.html

Fast forward to this year and teh Celtics/Hawks incident. I guess it wasnt really a "red letter rule". :rolleyes:

Now where are all you guys that want to **** on Donaghys credibilty but let Stern off the hook? :hammerhead:

-primetime-
06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
DALLAS / HEAT

has this series been brought up yet in this thread???
well....????

statman32
06-10-2008, 07:57 PM
well....????
Because he didnt mention it or give any clues about it. It might be, but lets just wait and see. All you would be doing is speculating and I think Dallas fans have done enough of that since that series.

Fatal9
06-10-2008, 07:58 PM
well....????
what's obvious doesn't need to be said...

Sroek
06-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I heard from a very reliable insider source that in reality, Kobe Bryant isn't actually the best player in the league. NBA executives just pay every other player to give only 10% effort on the court.

RandomBalla55
06-10-2008, 08:01 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol: @ even Phil not implying that the Lakers stole Game 6, but then deflecting the blame and saying the Kings stole game 5.

Hilarious. PJax knows.

statman32
06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
I heard from a very reliable insider source that in reality, Kobe Bryant isn't actually the best player in the league. NBA executives just pay every other player to give only 10% effort on the court.
Thats good. Stern will also probably use some sort of sarcasm when he denies these allegations. It's a good way to get people to side with him and forget how "real" these allegations are. This is serious **** but when it comes time for Stern to crack down of refs, he decides that the rules on gambling at casinos are outdated. :rolleyes:

Kobe24
06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Disgusting. Makes me not want to watch this sport anymore.

TheProphet
06-10-2008, 08:04 PM
The NBA needs to fine this guy for opening his mouth. Hell Mark Cuban got fined millions and even lost a championship to shady events.

RandomBalla55
06-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Disgusting. Makes me not want to watch this sport anymore.

Might have to put sport as "sport" as long as that idiot David Stern runs this league.

bigkingsfan
06-10-2008, 08:06 PM
The NBA needs to fine this guy for opening his mouth. Hell Mark Cuban got fined millions and even lost a championship to shady events.
Yes they're going to fine a fired employee...

NoGunzJustSkillz
06-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Donaghy will get a second chance in the NBA after he serves his time. Bank on it.

statman32
06-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Fine a guy who isnt even referring anymore? Yah that makes since. What they could do is SUE him for slandering but the NBA doenst want to do that because that will only bring more **** out.

FYI: Donoghy didnt bring up this info because he wanted a lesser sentance or was bitter. He brought up this info because of the NBAs claim that he needs to pay 1 million in restitution for the use of there private investigators.

MaxFly
06-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Yes they're going to fine a fired employee...

I was about to say the same thing...

ZOMG
06-10-2008, 08:10 PM
The NBA needs to fine this guy for opening his mouth.

Headline: "NBA TRIES TO PUNISH DONAGHY FOR ACCUSATIONS"
ISH reaction: "Stern's trying to silence him! Go Donaghy!!11!"

Headline: "NBA HAS NO COMMENT ON DONAGHY ACCUSATIONS"

icemanfan
06-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Heres some quotes from Davis Stern on The Dan Patrick show after the Suns suspensions last year.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-24-75/David-Stern-on-Dan-Patrick-s-Show.html

Fast forward to this year and teh Celtics/Hawks incident. I guess it wasnt really a "red letter rule". :rolleyes:

Now where are all you guys that want to **** on Donaghys credibilty but let Stern off the hook? :hammerhead:you know Stat,
honestly, at the time, I thought that he (sters) was being legit but you are 100% correct in that it happend again this year only somehow the rules where changed when it was the Celtics and not the Suns who stood a chance to loose. I can not think of one legit reason for the NBA to want the Spurs to win vs the Suns however I can not legitamize the call since one year latter Stern chose to ignor the same thing with the Celtics involved.

statman32
06-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Headline: "NBA TRIES TO PUNISH DONAGHY FOR ACCUSATIONS"

Headline: "NBA HAS NO COMMENT ON DONAGHY ACCUSATIONS"
Why cant you just address the points I made instead of using sarcasm to deflect a legit claim? Maybe its because everyone who was defending the NBA and trashing Donoghys cred was just talking out there ass? :rolleyes:

crisoner
06-10-2008, 08:12 PM
What up Ice!!!!!!!!!

Man.....I hate hearing about this with sports.....there is NO TRUST in this world any more.

statman32
06-10-2008, 08:15 PM
you know Stat,
honestly, at the time, I thought that he (sters) was being legit but you are 100% correct in that it happend again this year only somehow the rules where changed when it was the Celtics and not the Suns who stood a chance to loose. I can not think of one legit reason for the NBA to want the Spurs to win vs the Suns however I can not legitamize the call since one year latter Stern chose to ignor the same thing with the Celtics involved.
Yep. I dont see a reason why Stern would want the Spurs over the Suns but this kind of **** is very shady and inconsistent as hell. I'm over the whole thing but still it needs to be brought up when people start questioning Donoghys credibility and ignoring Sterns past.

icemanfan
06-10-2008, 08:15 PM
What up Ice!!!!!!!!!

Man.....I hate hearing about this with sports.....there is NO TRUST in this world any more.
its all about the money Cris and I am not making any of it :ohwell:
As for the steriods in baseball thing..I think they should all be made to take them and then we know its even :)

TheProphet
06-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Fine a guy who isnt even referring anymore? Yah that makes since. What they could do is SUE him for slandering but the NBA doenst want to do that because that will only bring more **** out.

FYI: Donoghy didnt bring up this info because he wanted a lesser sentance or was bitter. He brought up this info because of the NBAs claim that he needs to pay 1 million in restitution for the use of there private investigators.

Well, i guess when the NBA fines a player for questioning calls, they are scamming that individual.

vmdv12
06-10-2008, 08:26 PM
I actually believe his new allegations that the NBA rigs games. I watched Jordan for years and I would get peeved when a rookie or a lesser name played good D on Jordan only to get a foul call.
Isn't it funny that the NBA is trying to discredit Donaghy, labeling him dishonest and desperate...YET...the NBA and Stern want to interview him after his sentencing for "completeness"??? LOL That's a good one. Why would they want to interview someone who is dishonest and about to go to prison??? All major sports have something corrupt going on, the NBA is no different. Look at the Lottery!! I'm happy the Bulls got the number one pick, but why is the drawing of the lottery balls in private?? As this years playoffs have shown, they want Boston and L.A. to go to seven games...and it will go seven....which means MILLIONS more dollars for the NBA. Nothing against the NBA ..it's a business and business is about making money, which they do very well. If I were them, I'd want it to go seven too. Go Bulls!!!

What do you guys think???

statman32
06-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, i guess when the NBA fines a player for questioning calls, they are scamming that individual.
:wtf:

gts
06-10-2008, 08:28 PM
For the first time ever, I agree with you completely.
Donaghy was very specific about everything this time around. It needs to be heavily looked into.
these claims by Donaghy have been known for over a year, he told them to the US attorney and FBI when he was fisrt being investigated... this is all being done by Donaghy's attorney because his sentence date is coming up soon... no other reason then to try and influence the judge and get a lighter sentence...

Emile
06-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I honestly, for whatever the reason, believe him myself.

Watching that Mavs-Rockets video was such an eye opener. It all checks out and it's blatant.
Pretty scary stuff.

TheProphet
06-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Why do the league fine guys extraordinary amount of money??? Is that cruel and unusual punishment? Imagine if you speak up at a business, say Enron, only to be fined $10,000.

RandomBalla55
06-10-2008, 08:32 PM
I honestly, for whatever the reason, believe him myself.

Watching that Mavs-Rockets video was such an eye opener. It all checks out and it's blatant.
Pretty scary stuff.

Really, it's his word vs $tern's.

And David $tern, as proven by statman, has zero credibility himself.

And, Donaghy would of course know about this underground shyt, as he participated in it.

I believe him. I put him in the same boat as Canseco. Scum but honest.

statman32
06-10-2008, 08:33 PM
these claims by Donaghy have been known for over a year, he told them to the US attorney and FBI when he was fisrt being investigated... this is all being done by Donaghy's attorney because his sentence date is coming up soon... no other reason then to try and influence the judge and get a lighter sentence...
Thats funny because most of the case is sealed still so you really have no clue whether or not this information has been known for a year.

Like I said before, he brought this new information out because of the NBAs claim that he owes them 1 million in restitution for them having to use there private investigators.

Why are you ignoring the facts and focusing on DOnoghys cred instead of looking at both sides? Mainly Sterns credibility.

gts
06-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Thats funny because most of the case is sealed still so you really have no clue whether or not this information has been known for a year. they talked about this a year ago, when he was first brought up on charges, he said then that there were more refs involved and made mention that even a series had been effected by the refs... stern made rference to it when he had his press conference way back when saying the FBI and justice department had investigated the charges and found the allegations to be false, the same press conference i belive where he assured everyone that the nba felt it was an isolated case

this is nothing new bro...

White Chocolate
Why do the league fine guys extraordinary amount of money??? Is that cruel and unusual punishment? Imagine if you speak up at a business, say Enron, only to be fined $10,000.

David Stern has to save face, right? Fining guys 5 figures is the best way to do that. 99% of the time, when guys berate officials, they're right.

statman32
Yes, if you are a part of a company and you do something that makes the company look bad. They can punish you. Add in the fact that the fines were agreed to by the players association and other association during the collective bargaining agreement discussions and that explains why they could do that.

But still that has nothing to do with them fining Donoghy considering hes no longer a part of the company.

ZOMG
06-10-2008, 08:40 PM
The NBA needs new fans who have more integrity and intellect and don't use completely ridiculous stats like free throw disrepancies as "proof" of conspiracies against various teams.

Hotlantadude81
06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
MAKES SENSE NOW..... MORE MONEY...... WOW!!!!!

YOU Finally get proof and you want to make excuses....

NewYorkUSCtrojan = :hammerhead:

They were probably wetting themselves when they seen the soldout games. I'm wondering if it would have went down the same way had the tickets not sold in Atlanta. Possibly not.

statman32
06-10-2008, 08:42 PM
they talked about this a year ago, when he was first brought up on charges, he said then that there were more refs involved and made mention that even a series had been effected by the refs...this is nothing new bro...
And you are assuming that this is related to that and not to something else? Plus add in the fact that he provided in-depth information that might not have been told to the investiagtors at the time. Even if they did know, whose to say that they didnt go after it but because its hear-say and without someone else they have no case? Maybe they thought about it but decided not to because it would look like they were just trying to get pub by attacking a league with no real evidence? It took awhile for the FBI to go after Bonds becuase they wanted to make sure they could win the case. Maybe thats the case here and maybe they arent getting anywhere with anyone else.

vert48
06-10-2008, 08:42 PM
yikes! they mentioned it on espn? what if they don't rigg it for LA tonight? what if Boston still gets all the calls?

ouch...

prepare for RIOT in LA>>>!I am fine if they do not rig it for the Lakers, as long as they it against them...

vert48
06-10-2008, 08:44 PM
these claims by Donaghy have been known for over a year, he told them to the US attorney and FBI when he was fisrt being investigated... this is all being done by Donaghy's attorney because his sentence date is coming up soon... no other reason then to try and influence the judge and get a lighter sentence...His attorney released this now because he bet on the C's to win and does not want the Lakers getting their reciprocal two games.

ForceOfNature
06-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Yo, where's that grampa gif from the Simpsons when we need it?

Rafa
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
get stern out!

grimreaper1377
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
We all know it's gonna happen.
The NBA is going crazy.
They're being exposed.
A recent NBC poll found out that 57% of all people in America thought that the NBA was rigged.
Tim Donaghy is saying that executives are telling refs to do certain things.
It was way too obvious that Game 2 was rigged.
It's getting more and more obvious every game.

We'll miss you.

bigkingsfan
06-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Yo, where's that grampa gif from the Simpsons when we need it?
http://i32.tinypic.com/ir6ys2.jpg

statman32
06-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Gts? Do you have a link to where the FBI said they investigated those claims and found them to be false? I could believe it if they said they didn't find any reason to continue on with the investigation but I find it unbelievable that they said it was FALSE.

32MJ32
Anyone who takes Tim Donaghy, a self-admitted criminal and cheat, at his word, is a fool.

gts
And you are assuming that this is related to that and not to something else? Plus add in the fact that he provided in-depth information that might not have been told to the investiagtors at the time. Even if they did know, whose to say that they didnt go after it but because its hear-say and without someone else they have no case? Maybe they thought about it but decided not to because it would look like they were just trying to get pub by attacking a league with no real evidence? It took awhile for the FBI to go after Bonds becuase they wanted to make sure they could win the case. Maybe thats the case here and maybe they arent getting anywhere with anyone else.that would be great and all good if this was a suit filed by the justice department or the charges were recommended for a grand jury by the FBI

todays suit was filed by Donaghy's lawyer it has no teeth, absolutley nothing will be done with this suit...

if you see someone commit a federal crime of some form do you go and file all law suit against them?

see where i'm going with this, there can be no prosecution of anyone with this case he's not suing the NBA or anything... everyone is on here acting like thers gonna be some major fallout from this, there will be zero this suit is filed for the court to look at when making it's decision on his sentence..
here's wht happens with this
nothing, stern may hold a press conference probably not

that's it espn will talk about it for a day ISH for 10 years but that's it because the suit filed is worthless it has no weight.. if it did have something new to add to his defense it would have been pulled out long ago, this is a desperate act by an attornet for a very desperate man

~LA's fine$t~
06-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Tim Donaghy probably made a billion dollar bet he could liquidate the NBA.

Brickz187
06-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Who cares if people think its fixed? Is there any proof? I dont think so. People just need to relax and stop coming up with some idiotic assumptions. The only time im going to think there is any "fixing" is when there is cold hard PROOF. Until then, it's just a bunch of idiot fans who are pissed because thier team didnt make it to the championship.

Mateo
06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Would a mod please merge all of the conspiracy threads?

32MJ32
06-10-2008, 08:55 PM
that would be great and all good if this was a suit filed by the justice department or the charges were recommended for a grand jury by the FBI

todays suit was filed by Donaghy's lawyer it has no teeth, absolutley nothing will be done with this suit...

if you see someone commit a federal crime of some form do you go and file all law suit against them?

see where i'm going with this, there can be no prosecution of anyone with this case he's not suing the NBA or anything... everyone is on here acting like thers gonna be some major fallout from this, there will be zero this suit is filed for the court to look at when making it's decision on his sentence..

that's it espn will talk about it for a day ISH for 10 years but that's it because the suit filed is worthless it has no weight.. if it did have something new to add to his defense it would have been pulled out long ago, this is a desperate act by an attornet for a very desperate man

^ Thankyou. Can you conspiracy theorists stop hyperventilating and frothing at the mouth for 12 seconds and read this?

Bunch of kids. Your team lost because it wasn't good enough, not because the league is rigged. And yes, I'm talking to fellow Laker fans as well.

gts
06-10-2008, 09:03 PM
^ Thankyou. Can you conspiracy theorists stop hyperventilating and frothing at the mouth for 12 seconds and read this?

Bunch of kids. Your team lost because it wasn't good enough, not because the league is rigged. And yes, I'm talking to fellow Laker fans as well.

nice to know i'm not the only one...lol

this is like when you get a speeding ticket and you go to court, lets say you want to fight the claim that you were speeding...

one of the claims you would use to make your case and hopefully sway the judge from hitting you with the full fine is there were others speeding that day also i wasn't the only one, here's the license plates numbers of others on the road with me that day

thats what this suit is, donaghy is using the i wasn't the only one speeding, i was in the flow of traffic that day argument

aznboy2k2
06-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Anyone who takes Tim Donaghy, a self-admitted criminal and cheat, at his word, is a fool.

Everyone said the same thing about Canseco. Look what happened there?

And you are a Laker fan. I'm sure you opinion comes unbias.

aznboy2k2
06-10-2008, 09:05 PM

this is like when you get a speeding ticket and you go to court, lets say you want to fight the claim that you were speeding...

one of the claims you would use to make your case and hopefully sway the judge from hitting you with the full fine is there were others speeding that day also i wasn't the only one, here's the license plates numbers of others on the road with me that day

thats what this suit is, donaghy is using the i wasn't the only one speeding, i was in the flow of traffic that day argument

What do you two have in common?

Both Laker fans perhaps?

TheProphet
06-10-2008, 09:18 PM
So we shouldn't take Doherty word because he did something illegal while in the NBA and also pointed out incidents that occurred with other officials. I believe he is getting the same scrutinty that guys like Rafael Palmero did to Canseco.

rezznor
06-10-2008, 09:21 PM
and yet Donaghy is fixing to do time for exactly that. So what you are saying is it would have taken more than Donaghy himself that others had to be envolved? Because if that is not what you are trying to say then the rest of your post is nonsence. The fact remains the guys is fixing to do time for doing what you say can not be done. :ohwell:
repped

ForceOfNature
06-10-2008, 09:25 PM
This is an absolute disgrace. It's really upsetting and unfortunate in particular for that 2002 Sacramento Kings team, perhaps the team that was the most cheated in NBA history. This is going to be fairly ongoing, and it's really a horrible thing that it could even happen. NBA referees have too much power. Who thinks Stern should quit, and be replaced? And if so, by whom?

Number2
06-10-2008, 09:26 PM
As a Kings fan, I don't even have words. I'm just saying that there's anger.

It's akin to reliving a horrible break up, or something like that. I can easily believe everything I've heard. Remember when Ralph Nader got involved in this? How he said that it was obvious to everyone that something shady was going on. Etc etc.

I'll tell you what, if there's a Laker fan ambassador to bring an appology for all that CRAP that us Kings fan have had to eat for years over this thing, I'd be happy to hear it. Or is it only fun to brag about stolen series - not take the responsibility for them?

White Chocolate
06-10-2008, 09:27 PM
This is an absolute disgrace. It's really upsetting and unfortunate in particular for that 2002 Sacramento Kings team, perhaps the team that was the most cheated in NBA history. This is going to be fairly ongoing, and it's really a horrible thing that it could even happen. NBA referees have too much power. Who thinks Stern should quit, and be replaced? And if so, by whom?

My dad wants Michael Jordan to take over. Wishful thinking.

shadow
06-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Didn't JVG once bring up something like this in a post game press conf?
I don't know how much games are rigged but I Do know when there are three officials out there if one guy is missing calls on one end the other two should in theory correct them and over the course of the game it should end up being consitent. Yet there are games where all three seem to consistently screw one team over at the other's expense throughout. For that to happen there has to be a level of collusion involved between the 3 men at the very least.

The fact is that there is something very wrong with the way games are called. There is a level of inconsistency that should not be there. Yet the league refuses to look at the problem. I'm willing to concede an official asterisk next to LA's 2002 title if it means one sided games and dwyane wade calls become a rarity rather than the norm.

DCL
06-10-2008, 09:30 PM
spill more beans, donaghy.

dude should write a book when he comes out of jail. i'm pretty sure it will be a bestseller.

RandomBalla55
06-10-2008, 09:34 PM
spill more beans, donaghy.

dude should write a book when he comes out of jail. i'm pretty sure it will be a bestseller.

Yep.

I compare him to Canseco. People will wanna read the dirty laundry that airs out, because, there's a good chance that it's the truth.

ScolaFan
06-10-2008, 09:34 PM
That's all I'm saying!

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6361/lakerasskj9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

shadow
06-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Stern needs to go down.
And Mark Cuban should replace him.

Yep stern needs to go. Cubes can't replace him though cos he owns the mavs. Maybe they should have Magic be the commish. He's a guy whose a sucessful business man and has also played the game at the highest level. Stern's just a sleazebag. I'm sure Magic would be OK giving up his minority stake in the lakers if he wanted the job.

darabzarrabi
06-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Just a quick question...if this IS proved to be true I would think the Maloofs can sue the NBA right....they for sure lost out on millions upon millions that they could have made by making/winning the finals:applause:

32MJ32
06-10-2008, 09:55 PM

Both Laker fans perhaps?

Yes. And?

It's amazing how having a purple-and-gold avatar negates any good point someone makes on this board.

The difference with Canseco and Donaghy is that the Feds are already involved here. They didn't get involved in the baseball scandal until after Canseco's allegations.

I'm a Laker fan, though, so my chronology is probably biased.

vert48
06-10-2008, 10:13 PM
My dad wants Michael Jordan to take over. Wishful thinking.Great idea. Lets turn things to a gambling addict.

rezznor
06-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Great idea. Lets turn things to a gambling addict.
:oldlol:

Sroek
06-10-2008, 10:26 PM
You guys should have already known that NBA officiating isn't 100% fair and that not every single official can not be corrupt. If this news surprises you, you're going to be in for a lot of rude awakenings in your lifetime.

gts
06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Gts? Do you have a link to where the FBI said they investigated those claims and found them to be false? I could believe it if they said they didn't find any reason to continue on with the investigation but I find it unbelievable that they said it was FALSE.there you go, stern just said it at half time, these baseless things that have already been discussed with the attorney general and the FBI investigators long ago...

gts
06-10-2008, 10:38 PM

Both Laker fans perhaps?what does that have to do with anything? my opinion is just as valid as yours if you had one...

the very fact you feel the need to bring up who's a fan of what team in the thread only proves you are incapable of having a seious discussion on the subject....

SHEED_ gangsta
06-10-2008, 10:40 PM
YES REALLY!!! NOW EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL!!!

did you hear that folks? David Stern says he's lying!!! yayyyyyyy

LakersNation562
06-10-2008, 10:50 PM
this is very disturbing to me. the fact that the league has earlier dealt with this gambling allegation charges involving one of their refs. it makes you wonder if the lopsided trades that the celtics and the lakers made and seeing how they've now met up in the finals to renew such a historical rivalry has anything to do with their attempt to "fix" their image and to level up their ratings and whatever popularity that were lost after the gambling allegations came out. i mean whats a better way to do that than to have the celtics and the lakers play in the finals?

rezznor
06-10-2008, 10:58 PM
this is very disturbing to me. the fact that the league has earlier dealt with this gambling allegation charges involving one of their refs. it makes you wonder if the lopsided trades that the celtics and the lakers made and seeing how they've now met up in the finals to renew such a historical rivalry has anything to do with their attempt to "fix" their image and to level up their ratings and whatever popularity that were lost after the gambling allegations came out. i mean whats a better way to do that than to have the celtics and the lakers play in the finals?

true. kinda like how MLB turned a blind eye to steroids in order to regain popularity after the baseball strike.

TheProphet
06-10-2008, 10:59 PM
true. kinda like how MLB turned a blind eye to steroids in order to regain popularity after the baseball strike.

Since the Mitchell report came out, home runs are remarkably down. Big surprise. Now let's pray the NBA at least address this issue with inconsistent officiating. Maybe that'll fix a lot of what's wrong with the NBA. Maybe Amare Stoudemire doesn't need to be sitting with foul trouble or being dominated because he's in foul trouble.

slaman
06-10-2008, 11:18 PM
NBA...spelled with an asterisk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWf4JZWi0sY
Funny how the media-assimilated Jeff Van Gundy now has a drastically different opinion about NBA officiating in light of the League's biggest scandal.

David Stern's continued denial of any fixing or manipulation is insulting to fans, players and this now-'tainted' game. Sure, Donaghy was wrong, but the NBA doesn't want to be right.

Time for fans to take off the blindfold and demand the truth.

el_locoteee
06-10-2008, 11:44 PM

Remember Jose Canseco.

FireMcFailPlease
06-10-2008, 11:48 PM
If im JVG, i wouldnt want to get fined again either

rezznor
06-10-2008, 11:53 PM
If im JVG, i wouldnt want to get fined again either
he doesnt have anything invested in pursuing his allegations anymore. he no longer coaches the rockets. he may want to return to coaching someday. nothing for him to gain everything for him to lose right now if he blasts the officiating done in a series years ago.

el_locoteee
06-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Now you know why T-mac haven't past the first round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eY8qGHU52E

el_locoteee
06-11-2008, 12:27 AM
It took a cheater to force baseball to clean the game.

http://youbeenblinded.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/josecanseco.jpg

Can a crook force the NBA to clean the game????

http://www.gambling911.com/Tim-Donaghy-11.jpg

White Chocolate
06-11-2008, 12:29 AM
It took a cheater to force baseball to clean the game.

http://youbeenblinded.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/josecanseco.jpg

Can a crook force the NBA to clean the game????

http://www.gambling911.com/Tim-Donaghy-11.jpg

There's always other ways to cheat. In baseball, they look for drugs that cannot be detected(HGH). In the NBA, they'll find a way to do the same thing they've been doing.

rezznor
06-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Donaghy's claims serious, troubling for NBA
By Lester Munson
ESPN.com
(
Disgraced former NBA referee Tim Donaghy asserted in publicly filed court papers Tuesday that six other officials had manipulated the outcomes of four NBA games, including two playoff games. Although Donaghy and his attorney, John F. Lauro, offered detail to support their claims of misconduct by referees, team executives and NBA executives, they did not offer the identities of the teams or the individuals.

Donaghy's explosive charges came in response to a demand from the NBA that Donaghy pay $1 million to the league, which claims to be a victim of the referee's admitted crimes. The league's demand for $1 million in restitution and Donaghy's response raise a number of legal questions. Here are some of the questions and their answers:

Donaghy pleaded guilty to two felony charges last summer, admitting he was guilty of gambling violations and money laundering. Everything seemed to have settled down, with Donaghy cooperating with federal investigators and awaiting his sentence. What prompted these developments in the middle of the NBA Finals?

Donaghy's sentencing is scheduled for July 14. He faces a maximum of 25 years in prison for conspiracy to engage in wire fraud and transmitting betting information through interstate commerce. In the usual course of presentence investigations and procedures, the federal probation department asks the "victim" about the damage resulting from the crime. As a "victim" of Donaghy's crimes, the NBA claimed in a June 5 letter that it was entitled to $1 million in restitution from Donaghy. Restitution, or the reimbursement of the victim's losses, typically pays back a bank or a charity for money lost in an embezzlement or a theft. Donaghy obviously damaged the NBA and its reputation, but there is no indication he stole any money from the league. The NBA claimed that it was forced to spend the nice round sum of $1 million investigating Donaghy and the damage he caused, and the league wants its money back. Clearly enraged by the unexpected demand from the NBA for $1 million, Donaghy and Lauro retaliated with detailed accusations of manipulation by other referees. It is the worst nightmare for the NBA, which might now be reconsidering a withdrawal of its demand for restitution.

Are Donaghy's allegations of referee misconduct new? How serious are his charges?

Donaghy first began telling the FBI about other referees in July 2007. He gave federal investigators additional information in a meeting in September. His claims are serious. They include allegations that the NBA attempted to insulate star players from technical fouls to build up ticket sales and television ratings. Most seriously, he claims there was a successful effort by two referees to extend a playoff series to a seventh game, assisting in the victory for the team that trailed 3-2 in the series. The accusations are the kinds of things that fuel conspiracy theories that abound among NBA fans, but Donaghy is now adding dates, places and games. According to Donaghy and Lauro, two referees in 2002 deliberately ignored fouls that resulted in injuries and called "made-up fouls" to give addition foul shots to one team. Even worse, Donaghy asserts that the referees did all of it because they were "company men" who "always act[ed] in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series."

Is it legal for Donaghy to go public with these charges?

Most paperwork in a presentence investigation in federal court is impounded. It is filed in secret and available only to the judge, the lawyers and the probation department. The NBA's letter demanding restitution, for example, was filed in secret. But in a clever use of federal rules and procedures, Lauro filed Donaghy's explosive assertions in a public letter. The purpose of the letter, Lauro said, was to provide "a summary of Tim's cooperation" with the FBI. But its real purpose was to fire back at the NBA after its demand for $1 million in restitution. As a cooperating witness admitting guilt and showing contrition, Donaghy was well on his way to a reduced sentence. Then the NBA makes its demand for $1 million. If Donaghy cannot make restitution, his jail sentence could be extended. Donaghy's plans for a reduced sentence were suddenly in jeopardy as the result of the NBA's demand. If Donaghy was to do additional time in prison, then he could get even by pulling the curtain back on multiple episodes of alleged misconduct by NBA executives, owners and referees.

Will Donaghy's charges result in other investigations and other charges against other referees or anyone else?

The charges against Donaghy were the result of his gambling and his use of his position to manipulate games for gamblers. There is no claim of any gambling by anyone in the charges Donaghy made Tuesday. If his claims are true, they clearly show misconduct that could result in NBA discipline, but they might not be federal crimes. Because the games Donaghy describes occurred in various cities around the U.S., there might be more than one set of prosecutors looking into his accusations. The first sign that any of these potential investigations is under way will come July 14. If Donaghy's sentencing is postponed, it will be a clear sign that other investigations are under way on his claims.

What is the next step in the case against Donaghy?

Donaghy's attorneys want to see all of the NBA's records of its investigation into Donaghy. The NBA investigation, according to Donaghy's court papers, included interviews of 57 NBA referees. Donaghy and his attorneys have asked a federal judge in Brooklyn to give them a subpoena for all NBA records resulting from the investigative efforts. The NBA claims the investigation cost $1 million, but Donaghy wants proof. Lauro argues that the investigation was directed at other referees and other situations that did not involve Donaghy, and Donaghy should not be required to make restitution for that portion of the investigation. U.S. District Court Judge Carol Amon will decide whether Donaghy can go through the NBA's records.

on espn.com

highwhey
06-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Since the Mitchell report came out, home runs are remarkably down. Big surprise. Now let's pray the NBA at least address this issue with inconsistent officiating. Maybe that'll fix a lot of what's wrong with the NBA. Maybe Amare Stoudemire doesn't need to be sitting with foul trouble or being dominated because he's in foul trouble.

I wish. I'm wondering when NBA will favor the Suns and help them win a title, maybe after NY, Miami and Chicago.

If this Boston-LA series goes to game 7, I will have all the proof I need to believe these conspiracies. :)

statman32
06-11-2008, 01:09 AM

Your are really misguided. This just came out because of the NBA claims for restitution. Donaghy was already in line for a shorter sentence until this but if the court agrees with the NBA and forces him to pay restitution and Donoghy CANT pay, he could sit in jail longer. So this isnt from a desperate man, its from a man fighting something extra that just came about.

statman32
06-11-2008, 01:12 AM

:rolleyes:

GTS doesnt even have his facts straight. Whats funny is you see fans of every team say that something was seriously wrong with game 6 of the 2002 WCF but you come to the conclusion that everyone is whining cause there team lost. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that 90% of the people on this board arent Kings fans. :hammerhead:

RIMMER
06-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Now you know why T-mac haven't past the first round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eY8qGHU52E

This video makes me want to PUKE.

statman32
06-11-2008, 01:16 AM

Thats not the argument hes using. Hes already been cooperative and admitted guilt. The argument hes using is that he shouldnt have to pay restitution because game swaying is done from the commishs office, therefore the NBA has no right to ask for resituition considering thats what they are about. What the NBA should have done is stay out of this and let it go its course. But nooooooo. :hammerhead:

gts
06-11-2008, 01:18 AM

Your are really misguided. This just came out because of the NBA claims for restitution. Donaghy was already in line for a shorter sentence until this but if the court agrees with the NBA and forces him to pay restitution and Donoghy CANT pay, he could sit in jail longer. So this isnt from a desperate man, its from a man fighting something extra that just came about.misguided...lol

you're too funny

so doesn't what you're NOW saying equal the same thing?
i say he filed it to get a shorter sentence

you say i'm misguded because he filed it to errrr get a shorter sentence and avoid paying money to the NBA

like i said earlier it was filed to influnce the judges sentencing...

btw, how do you know what his sentence was going to be?
if you have a link to the judgement i'd love to see it because until the judge reads it it's a sealed documnet... or are you just making things up

bence23
06-11-2008, 01:20 AM
2002 *
add 00 to that list too.

statman32
06-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Yes. And?

It's amazing how having a purple-and-gold avatar negates any good point someone makes on this board.

The difference with Canseco and Donaghy is that the Feds are already involved here. They didn't get involved in the baseball scandal until after Canseco's allegations.

I'm a Laker fan, though, so my chronology is probably biased.

No your chronology is wrong becuase you dont know what you are talking about.

Read up a bit.

United States Attorney for the Northern District of California began investigating BALCO. U.S. sprint coach Trevor Graham had given an anonymous phone call to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) in June 2003 accusing a number of athletes being involved in doping with a steroid that was not detectable at the time. He also named Victor Conte as the source of the steroid. As evidence, Graham delivered a syringe containing traces of a substance nicknamed The Clear. Shortly after, Don H. Catlin, director of the Olympic Analytical Laboratory in Los Angeles, succeeded in developing a testing process for tetrahydrogestrinone (THG). Now able to detect the new substance, he tested 550 existing samples from athletes, of which 20 proved to be positive for THG.

On September 3, 2003 agents of the Internal Revenue Service, Food and Drug Administration, San Mateo Narcotics Task Force, and USADA conducted a house search at the BALCO facilities. Beside lists of BALCO customers in a BALCO field warehouse they found containers whose labels indicated steroids and growth hormones. In a house search at Anderson's place two days later, steroids, $60,000 in cash, names lists and dosage plans were found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Area_Laboratory_Co-operative

You see the dates? :rolleyes:

Killer_Instinct
06-11-2008, 01:30 AM
This video makes me want to PUKE.

Yeah...That video was pretty disgusting. It was painfully obvious...SMH

statman32
06-11-2008, 01:30 AM
misguided...lol

you're too funny

so doesn't what you're NOW saying equal the same thing?
i say he filed it to get a shorter sentence

you say i'm misguded because he filed it to errrr get a shorter sentence and avoid paying money to the NBA

like i said earlier it was filed to influnce the judges sentencing...

btw, how do you know what his sentence was going to be?
if you have a link to the judgement i'd love to see it because until the judge reads it it's a sealed documnet... or are you just making things up
No. You are making it seem like he was just some desperate fool that was throwing out claims to get a lesser sentence when whats hes doing is what anyone would do. The NBA asked for restitution for something ridiculous and the new news is because of that, not because of the Feds original case.

Did I say I knew what his sentence was going to be? Its common knowledge that if you cooperate with the Feds your sentence is shorter than what it would be if you didnt and since he did cooporate, he would be getting a shorter sentence. But you already know that.

32MJ32
06-11-2008, 01:34 AM
:rolleyes:

GTS doesnt even have his facts straight. Whats funny is you see fans of every team say that something was seriously wrong with game 6 of the 2002 WCF but you come to the conclusion that everyone is whining cause there team lost. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that 90% of the people on this board arent Kings fans. :hammerhead:

True, but about "90%" (<-- your figure, not mine) hate the Lakers, so you can ease up on the emoticons. I believe I lumped "people complaining about their team losing" in with "people complaining because a team they hate won." If I didn't in this thread, I did in another one. Both are just as bad as another, blaming a conspiracy for an outcome they didn't want.

I'm not saying the game wasn't poorly called, by the way. It's been 6 years, I can't actually remember how many of the calls I agreed or disagreed with. (And no, before you shoot me down, I don't blindly cheer everything that goes in the Lakers favour. I'm a fan, not a fanatic.) 27 free throws in a quarter is an awful lot, but to attribute it to a fix because an admitted criminal says so? That's a big leap of faith to make.

If you look hard at the allegations that Donaghy has levelled at the refs and the comission, everything is based on hear-say and circumstance. There's nothing that could possibly have a paper trail, unless there's a taped phone conversation that we don't know about. No memos, nothing between a bookmaker and a ref, only "relayed information" and allegations of collusion between "company men" and the NBA.

What does he have to gain from this? He makes the NBA drop its restitution. As you said, he's not going to be able to afford to repay a million dollars (in anyone's rational estimation, at least) so he's going to sit in the can longer. It's a clear C.Y.A (Cover Yo' Ass) move. And an obvious attempt to force the NBA's hand by threatening to drag it's name through the mud.

Ever think why this letter surfaced during the biggest game of the year? He

RajonKGcelts
06-11-2008, 01:36 AM
I hope Stern gets brought down hard on this one. I just want unbiased officiating like everyone else. Why tell refs to change the outcome of games? I know for money, but this just makes me mad. I knew the Kings got screwed out of the 02 series, but this is just wow, i never thought someone would come out and say it.

gts
06-11-2008, 01:46 AM
No. You are making it seem like he was just some desperate fool that was throwing out claims to get a lesser sentence when whats hes doing is what anyone would do. The NBA asked for restitution for something ridiculous and the new news is because of that, not because of the Feds original case.

Did I say I knew what his sentence was going to be? Its common knowledge that if you cooperate with the Feds your sentence is shorter than what it would be if you didnt and since he did cooporate, he would be getting a shorter sentence. But you already know that.

haha he is a desperate fool, he's facing 25 years in federal prison being somebodies b*tch...

and no co-operation does not mean a shorter sentence, it means less charges in the first place, he's already garnered the positives from cooperating...

sentencing guidelines for federal crimes are not really left up to the judges descretion, they are fairly ridged in ther application with little wiggle room plus there's no gaurantee that the judge will agree with the plea made by the defendent and the investigators...

so generally the goverment instead will file less charges or lessor charges, and defense attorney worth a damn will make sure it's not in the judges hands when it comes time to sentencing...

FashionIssues
06-11-2008, 01:51 AM
condemned referee with no vouchers to support his claims.

no secret now that the officials that called that series are being questioned right now. unless i hear a second echo, then i wish his ass is ky jelly ready for some ass fuc*in

solidus_maximus
06-11-2008, 01:52 AM
Although I tend to believe some of this, we have to look at Donaghy for what he is; a liar. He lied to the general public by going along with these same tactics he's accusing other refs of using, and betting on games while doing so for years. Only now, after being caught and losing a job does he come forth with this. And he's the only ex-ref saing this as well. Also, the timing is a bit odd don't you think? The NBA Finals, the only time of year when casual fans pay attention to the NBA is now tarnished with this story. Perfect storm or perfectly executed plan?

Either way you'd have to be a fool to believe that some games weren't called favorably by the refs for one reason or another, BUT you would be an even bigger fool to believe that every game, every trade, every little detail of the NBA is somehow planned and scripted by the league. If other refs come out and say the same thing it will lend more credibility to the accusations, but until then this is simply a disgruntled ex-employee saying things that can't be proved one way or the other at the moment.

The problem for those wanting a credible source confirming these rumors is that any "credible" source, such as an existing ref or league executive has their interests aligned with the nba, and would obviously not come out and state these rumors. Tim is credible in the sense that he was very much involved in the process, but because his interests are no longer aligned with the nba he has lost his "Credibility". You do know that one of the leading tactics by defense lawyers in criminal cases is to discredit the counterparty.. happens time and time again, ie. Kobe Bryant, and so so many others

statman32
06-11-2008, 01:53 AM
[QUOTE=32MJ32]True, but about "90%" (<-- your figure, not mine) hate the Lakers, so you can ease up on the emoticons. I believe I lumped "people complaining about their team losing" in with "people complaining because a team they hate won." If I didn't in this thread, I did in another one. Both are just as bad as another, blaming a conspiracy for an outcome they didn't want.

I'm not saying the game wasn't poorly called, by the way. It's been 6 years, I can't actually remember how many of the calls I agreed or disagreed with. (And no, before you shoot me down, I don't blindly cheer everything that goes in the Lakers favour. I'm a fan, not a fanatic.) 27 free throws in a quarter is an awful lot, but to attribute it to a fix because an admitted criminal says so? That's a big leap of faith to make.

If you look hard at the allegations that Donaghy has levelled at the refs and the comission, everything is based on hear-say and circumstance. There's nothing that could possibly have a paper trail, unless there's a taped phone conversation that we don't know about. No memos, nothing between a bookmaker and a ref, only "relayed information" and allegations of collusion between "company men" and the NBA.

What does he have to gain from this? He makes the NBA drop its restitution. As you said, he's not going to be able to afford to repay a million dollars (in anyone's rational estimation, at least) so he's going to sit in the can longer. It's a clear C.Y.A (Cover Yo' Ass) move. And an obvious attempt to force the NBA's hand by threatening to drag it's name through the mud.

Ever think why this letter surfaced during the biggest game of the year? He

statman32
06-11-2008, 02:01 AM
haha he is a desperate fool, he's facing 25 years in federal prison being somebodies b*tch...

and no co-operation does not mean a shorter sentence, it means less charges in the first place, he's already garnered the positives from cooperating...

sentencing guidelines for federal crimes are not really left up to the judges descretion, they are fairly ridged in ther application with little wiggle room plus there's no gaurantee that the judge will agree with the plea made by the defendent and the investigators...

so generally the goverment instead will file less charges or lessor charges, and defense attorney worth a damn will make sure it's not in the judges hands when it comes time to sentencing...
You get the point. Cooperation usually equals less charges or lessor charges and Less charges or lessor charges usually means shorter sentencing.

I apologize for any name calling or rude comments but when I come in here and it looks like you are making it seem ridiculous for people to think something shady might be going down because of DOnoghys cred, it didnt hit me right. I doubt anyone is just believing this becuase Donoghy is saying it. They are probably believing it because they hate certain teams or becuase of previous incidents that are suspicious.

It's not ridiculous for people to think something might be up and its not ridiculous for people not to think somethings up. Anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

highwhey
06-11-2008, 04:20 AM
Did you guys see Stern's response? Just like I said, he's full of it. I don't care if Tim is lying, fire Stern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RajonKGcelts
06-11-2008, 04:22 AM
Did you guys see Stern's response? Just like I said, he's full of it. I don't care if Tim is lying, fire Stern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did Stern say? i've been watching Sportscenter all night, trying to find some coverage on the scandal, but i haven't gotten anything.

Shepseskaf
06-11-2008, 07:21 AM
I've turned a corner on this whole rigging scandal. Everyone with an IQ over 40 knows that something was very wrong with Lakers-Kings game 6 in 2002 and game 7 Lakers-Blazers 2000, to note two examples. No doubt there are many others.

Now to see the accusation of rigging out in the open just confirms all of those long-held suspicions. If even the thought of games being rigged was ridiculous, these Donaghy revelations would have had zero impact. Its obvious that cheating has been institutionalized and encourages by Dictator Stern for a long, long time.

I will never be able to look at the game the same way again. How many of those memorable moments over the past 15 years have been scripted? I want to see an extensive list, which no doubt will come out eventually.

For all those fools who ride on Dictator Stern's nuts and proclaim how "great he's been for the game," how does this taste. That piece of human garbage has taken the most intrinsically beautiful game and turned it into a laughingstock. Once another ref gets caught up in this, and its not just Donaghy's word, then the game will truly be up.

Stern needed to go more than a decade ago. Now its too late, and the damage has been done. Who, or what, is going to save the game?

vinsane01
06-11-2008, 07:54 AM
i just watched the houston and dallas game 5. and wow, i'm shocked. And i just feel so sorry for Yao Ming. And oh Tmac, it was never on you..

dafunkphenom
06-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm sick to my stomach and kind of depressed today because of all of this. This is the second year in a row that Donaghey has made me wonder what the hell have I been watching over the past 16 years. There are so many questionable calls and trends that even though I am a huge fan and never believed that manipulation on this scale could actually happen but in the back of my mind I always felt something was wrong.

As shady as Donaghey is, he has to be taken seriously. The refereeing continually gets worse and reaction from NBA players, analysts, coaches, sportscasters etc etc... have even risen my suspicion. Just look at Van Gundy's hesitation last night. You can tell he wanted to spill the beans but is forced to keep somewhat quiet.

A full complete investigation has to occur from an independant committee. David Stern has to go no matter what the outcome is. The league needs a new face.

I really don't feel good right now.

Sroek
06-11-2008, 02:56 PM
For all those fools who ride on Dictator Stern's nuts and proclaim how "great he's been for the game," how does this taste. That piece of human garbage has taken the most intrinsically beautiful game and turned it into a laughingstock. Once another ref gets caught up in this, and its not just Donaghy's word, then the game will truly be up.

Actually, I despise David Stern and I don't think the league is rigged. Corrupt officials? Absolutely. Rigged? Absolutely not.

Case closed.

mattreis62
06-11-2008, 03:10 PM
It doesn't really matter at this point whether or not there really is a widespread conspiracy. What matters is that many people are starting to think that there is one, and that's a problem for the league. It's a big problem if the fans don't have confidence in the refs. People are already starting to cry "conspiracy" every time their team loses. The NBA really needs to hire some sort of independant agency to handle the refs.

cliffhagan
06-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm sick to my stomach and kind of depressed today because of all of this. This is the second year in a row that Donaghey has made me wonder what the hell have I been watching over the past 16 years. There are so many questionable calls and trends that even though I am a huge fan and never believed that manipulation on this scale could actually happen but in the back of my mind I always felt something was wrong.

As shady as Donaghey is, he has to be taken seriously. The refereeing continually gets worse and reaction from NBA players, analysts, coaches, sportscasters etc etc... have even risen my suspicion. Just look at Van Gundy's hesitation last night. You can tell he wanted to spill the beans but is forced to keep somewhat quiet.

A full complete investigation has to occur from an independant committee. David Stern has to go no matter what the outcome is. The league needs a new face.

I really don't feel good right now.

I feel the exact same way. Did anyone else find it unusual that David Stern and Steven A. Smith used similar phraseology in discussing the matter? The NBA has a 10 year or whatever agreement with ESPN/ABC/Disney/Whoever the Hell They Are. Do you think any ESPN employee is gonna bash D Stizzle? No way. I'm surprised JVG was able to secure his lips, because his teams have been screwed many times over the years.

I also would like to reiterate what has been stated many times. Regardless of where your allegience lies, the many blatant inconsistencies that occur regularly with various entities just point to shady behind the scenes stuff. I HATED the Kings back then, but man they were screwed. The series should have ended in Game 6.

I couldn't care for the Suns, but last year vs. the Spurs, they were blatantly treated unfairly. Stern said the suspensions were justifiable simply because the rule states when a player enters the court during an altercation, he's gone. In other words, his intent doesn't matter. In the same game, Bowen and Duncan do the same thing, but nothing happens. "Well, that wasn't really an altercation." Fine, we'll accept that. What about this year? KG and Zaza are punching each others lights out (at least trying to) and Marvin Williams and Kendrick Perkins step on the court. What happened? NOTHING! WTF!?!?!?

I HATE the Spurs. But Fish jumps on top of Barry and there's no call. The league even said it should've been a foul. But who cares? The series was over. Should've been 2-2, but it was 3-1. I mean I HATE the Spurs, so I partly laughed, but they got screwed. They only didn't say anything because they've been the beneficiaries of a few calls/non-calls here and there. ;)

This year, I LOATHE the Lakers. The NBA rigged it to get by the Jazz and the Spurs. I've loved Boston this year. But the Lakers got screwed in the first 2 games in Boston. Just as Boston will get screwed in their games in L.A.

The NBA is getting to a point where David Stern is micromanaging everything so much, that every game is "rigged/fixed" to a certain degree. It's ridiculous. He's getting more and more drastic as the NBA's image steadily declines and so things are getting worse and worse.

He really got desparate after the whole Artest thing.

*Tried to create a dynasty with the Spurs. Everyone would rather pull their own teeth out.
*Tried to recreate MJ with Wade in '06. He's hurt too much.

Then Tim happened.

Let's rig 2 of the most lopsided trades ever to ressurect the NBA's most credible/well known franchises magically so that we can defer attention from Tim.

I know these conspiracy theory rants probably get old, but as a true NBA fan, it's ridiculous. The NBA is the only league I follow. It's practically the only tv I watch. And I feel like washing myself completely clean of it.

My logic is this. Why would Donaghy do this? To save his butt? How much can he save his butt when he's been convicted of gambling with the mob? The details of these items disclosed are just way too specific. For one, every one knew about the Kings/Lakers thing. But the Houston/Dallas thing? That is SO specific. A certain player setting screens. I mean, why would he make that up? And THIS has been the sealer for me:

---Why is David Stern (And ESPN/ABC, etc.) so concerned with destroying Donaghy's credibility rather than attack the issues that Tim's brought up? If they weren't rigged, he would say, 'No the Kings/Lakers series wasn't rigged. Yao Ming setting screens? No that's ridiculous...'

Know what I mean? He probably refered to Donaghy as a felon 50 times last night, but not once did he refute the allegations themselves.

I don't know what to do now. I feel like I've been on the Truman Show for the last 15 years.

icemanfan
06-11-2008, 03:15 PM

so generally the goverment instead will file less charges or lessor charges, and defense attorney worth a damn will make sure it's not in the judges hands when it comes time to sentencing...actually the newspaper said:

Donaghy, 41, faces up to 33 months in prison at sentencing on July 14.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_BETTING_PROBE?SITE=TXSAE&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

cliffhagan
06-11-2008, 03:16 PM
It doesn't really matter at this point whether or not there really is a widespread conspiracy. What matters is that many people are starting to think that there is one, and that's a problem for the league. It's a big problem if the fans don't have confidence in the refs. People are already starting to cry "conspiracy" every time their team loses. The NBA really needs to hire some sort of independant agency to handle the refs.

I completely agree, but the NBA IS THE SOURCE OF THE CORRUPTION. David Stern will not let the control out of his hands. Look at the draft lottery. Name one good reason why it shouldn't be done with ping pong balls in front of a tv camera.

Look at the lack of instant replay. I mean the rules that allow instant replay (to review if a shot was a 3 or went off before the buzzer) really just give more power to the refs to rig a game. Lol.

David Stern always insisted that the NBA reviews and scrutinize every referee and every call, then suddenly he has just ONE rogue ref and now he'll end up having just a FEW rogue refs. David Stern is the problem. Not Tim Donaghy, Bob Delaney, or Dick "Blindman" Bavetta. Look at the fear that everyone lives under because of him. JVG couldn't say anything; even guys like Bill Simmons are more reserved than usual when it comes to criticizing blatant indescrepncies in which Stern is the root.

Look at the whole Sonics issue. Stern denies that he could do anything. Then we found out that he's known about emails suggesting it for a couple years now. But guess what? None of it matters because no one has a say but him. So that's basically his legacy. "Yeah it sucks, but tough ****. It happened."