PDA

View Full Version : OT- OutKast Album The Best Duet Album Ever

KillaCamNOHOMO
08-24-2006, 02:42 PM
alright alright, im not going that far.. but in todays world of music.. this idlewild album is sucha breathe of fresh air, put together by two of the most creative artists in the game...

what are your thoughts on the new outkast album

MaverickFan4Life
08-24-2006, 02:44 PM
havent heard it yet but the last was good

indenial
08-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Don't care. It's all about image..so stupid....heard in another thread that Dirks a Rapper. Shouldn't this thread be in the Off the court forums!

KillaCamNOHOMO
08-24-2006, 02:47 PM
maybe, i just want opinions, thats all

indenial
08-24-2006, 02:48 PM
maybe, i just want opinions, thats all

My opinion is move this thread to off the court where it belongs, thank you

Timmeh
08-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Best Duet album? what genre does that put them in? It's not rap/hip hop because they don't do that...does that make them pop? R&B? what?

GOBB
08-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Best Duet album? what genre does that put them in? It's not rap/hip hop because they don't do that...does that make them pop? R&B? what?

They arent hip hop? :confusedshrug:

IBLEEDGREEN43
08-24-2006, 03:00 PM
yeah, i bought this album yesterday, and its a beautiful thing to hear.

the beats are so fresh, and the production is very nice.

might be the best album of 2006

indenial
08-24-2006, 03:01 PM
They arent hip hop? :confusedshrug:

Nice Avatar Gobb.

B-Low
08-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Yeah i don't think THIS one is the best duet ablbum ever but i agree with you 110% that it's a breath of fresh air with today's usual hip hop garbage taking over. It's nice to hear something different for a change

indenial
08-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah i don't think THIS one is the best duet ablbum ever but i agree with you 110% that it's a breath of fresh air with today's usual hip hop garbage taking over. It's nice to hear something different for a change

Try listening to rock then:
Audioslave
Tool
System of a Down

Try those out for a while. Or is mainstream television telling you what good and cool?

IBLEEDGREEN43
08-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Mighty-O is a great, refreshing track on the album.. check it out

funkylikemonkey
08-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Audioslave
Tool
System of a Down

Try those out for a while. Or is mainstream television telling you what good and cool?

You just named 3 pretty mainstream bands.

indenial
08-24-2006, 03:20 PM

Yeah whats the message they are portraying.....What is Outkasts message?? what is it....mainstream sh!t is cool buy our albums?

IBLEEDGREEN43
08-24-2006, 03:25 PM
outkasts message is that they dont care about the gangsta music, and they do there own thing.. like kanye, common, and other rappers/ musicans..

gangsta rappers dont wear polo shirts, tight ass button down shirts and shades like kanye

old men wear the hats common wears

outkast does there own thing, indenial.. you have to respect it

xxxSuperStar
08-24-2006, 03:29 PM
If you take the songwriting and musical talent of mainstream bands and put it toe to toe with "indy" bands, in almost every case the mainstream people are better singers, better on their instruments, better performers and better songwriters. That's why they get record deals.

A lot of indy and non mainstream bands are really good, but by and large there is a flaw in something they do (songs sound similar, they don't have the capacity to produce more than one good album, they have internal problems, ect)

I'm leaving bubble gum pop and AMerican Idol stuff out of this because a lot of that is based on looks and appearence, but country, rock, punk, heavy, alternative, adult contemporary, jam bands, hip hop and everything else the mainstream people are amazing.

indenial
08-24-2006, 03:32 PM
outkasts message is that they dont care about the gangsta music, and they do there own thing.. like kanye, common, and other rappers/ musicans..

gangsta rappers dont wear polo shirts, tight ass button down shirts and shades like kanye

old men wear the hats common wears

outkast does there own thing, indenial.. you have to respect it

I don't have to, doesn't mean I can't or won't....I just seems so bandwagon mainstream.....I mean they had that one song that won best song of the year....and they're more popular than real solid musicians such as Chris Cornell and Audioslave..who sing better who is a better songwriter and guitar player who has more NATURAL talent...no comparison!

B-Low
08-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Exactly. I know basically NOTIHNG about rock so if i know who a rock group is that means they're mainstream, and i know all 3 of them.

Suns4Life
08-24-2006, 03:40 PM
I don't have to, doesn't mean I can't or won't....I just seems so bandwagon mainstream.....I mean they had that one song that won best song of the year....and they're more popular than real solid musicians such as Chris Cornell and Audioslave..who sing better who is a better songwriter and guitar player who has more NATURAL talent...no comparison!

Chris Cornell was in Soundgarden, which was a really popular band too, so they really arent much more popular than Outkast.

indenial
08-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Exactly. I know basically NOTIHNG:confusedshrug:
:eek:

Suns4Life
08-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Audioslave
Tool
System of a Down

I like the part where you named 3 of the most mainstream rock bands and asked the other dudette if he was listening to what the media is telling him is cool.

Yo guys, stop listening to that rap on MTV and start listening to these rappers:
1. Jeezy
2. Rick Ross
3. Nelly

IBLEEDGREEN43
08-24-2006, 03:44 PM
i just think outkasts style is uncomparable in music, so i respect there stuff and definitly believe as far as hip hop/r and b, that this is the best album of 2006

JohnnyBravo5
08-24-2006, 04:56 PM
I don't know if it is the best album, but Oukast is by far the best hip hop duo/Group of all time. They smoke, P.E., BDP, De La, Tribe, EPMD, Furious Five, Whodini, Get Fresh Cru, Wu Tang...all of em.

They only group that gives them comp are Run DMC, but they have a historical relevance that Outkast could never have so they aren't even in the discussion.

But out of the remaining groups, Outkast trumps them on orginality, creativity, lyrical content, style, every level...

Number2
08-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Dude... Andre3000 (the genius behind Outkast) is one of the most talented musicians in the world. He can sing, dance, play a huge number of instruments... This guy plays the sax in blues clubs in his spare time. You can not like Outkast but don't question Andre's chops. That's just ignorant.

loot
08-24-2006, 06:07 PM
It's not rap/hip hop because they don't do that...does that make them pop? R&B? what?

piss off and go listen to some eyedea or some other white fanboy true to stuck in 1994 boombap underground encyclopedia rap.

loot
08-24-2006, 06:11 PM
also you can compare outkast with the best bands out there

outkast is the kind of music you can put on for your little nephew or your grandma and they'll like it

it is the kind of music people from the slums like, just as much as the society guys from the marketing dept. like.

truely great music and theyre one of the few hip hop groups who'll get mentioned 50 years from now when talking about great music from this era.

and thats something most 'true' hiphopheads dont like. true hiphopheads want boombap, they want something they listened to 10 years ago. always screaming music is their first love, but they dont give a **** about anything besides that good ol boombap. nothing wrong with boombap but we've heard that already.

Timmeh
08-24-2006, 06:27 PM
They arent hip hop? I never considered them hip hop, songs like "Hey ya" and "Church" seemed more like pop songs than hip hop. but if you disagree, then tell me your definition of hip hop, maybe mine is different.

piss off and go listen to some eyedea or some other white fanboy true to stuck in 1994 boombap underground encyclopedia rap. i didn't undertand a word of that, so try again once you know what you're talking about.

indenial
08-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Elton John and Micheal Jackson are coming out with a duet also ....yeah its entitled dont let your son go down on me.

Kujo
08-24-2006, 07:00 PM
My all-time favorite Outkast album is "ATLiens". A brilliant album. I' have more lukewarm feelings about the albums that followed, though Dre's half of the "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below" was brilliant.

"Idlewild" is good, I'll never really consider this there sixth album because it's a soundtrack, and other artist are featured heavily (Jonae, and Scar in particular).

I've heard that the next official Outkast album will be all rapping, so I'll look forward to that.

adamcz
08-24-2006, 07:42 PM
He can sing, dance, play a huge number of instruments
It's amusing that lay people are so impressed with musicians who play multiple instruments. I guess it's because this day and age, it's rare for a famous entertainer to play any instruments.

Once you know a bit about music, learning instruments is easy. Mastering them is another story, but getting to be as proficient as Andre Benjamin is would taken most professional musicians a week or two.

I'm not saying he's untalented, because he is a great musician. It's just that playing multiple instruments isn't his gift - anybody can do that.

Lascar78
08-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Once you know a bit about music, learning instruments is easy. Mastering them is another story, but getting to be as proficient as Andre Benjamin is would taken most professional musicians a week or two
I am going to take a wild guess and say that you in fact have no idea how proficient he is with any instrument and are just guessing how good he is to suit your argument.

adamcz
08-24-2006, 08:31 PM
I am going to take a wild guess and say that you in fact have no idea how proficient he is with any instrument and are just guessing how good he is to suit your argument.
I have all the Outkast albums, so the only way you're right is if he hasn't demonstrated his proficiency on them. Nice guess though.

What I've heard of his guitar and piano playing is perfectly adequate to express the music he writes, but it's not like he could get gigs if playing those instruments was all he did.

I like Andre, and I think he's a great musician. Very creative, and a great rapper with a lot of rhythmic control. He just doesn't play any instruments on a professional level.

DeuceWallaces
08-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Hip-Hop and pop isn't really based on excellent musicianship or a showcase of proficiency. They require basic, hooky riffs over and over.

So I doubt his proficiency across several instruments would really be heard on any Hip-Pop album.

Suns4Life
08-24-2006, 09:18 PM
I can play guitar better than Andre, can play piano better than Andre, and can play trumpet on the level of his sax play, does that make me a muiscal demigod to you guys?

DeuceWallaces
08-24-2006, 09:23 PM
So you sat down and jammed with him?

Yeah, right.

The point is you really don't know how proficient he is with any of those instruments, and you definitely can't judge him based on what he plays on a Hip-Pop album.

adamcz
08-24-2006, 09:31 PM
The point is you really don't know how proficient he is with any of those instruments, and you definitely can't judge him based on what he plays on a Hip-Pop album.
Yes I can. I've been a professional musician for 9 years now, and the study of music has taken up at least a couple hours of almost every day during that time. I can infer a few things on a quick listen at this point. How long do you think it takes Phil Jackson to tell if somebody is a professional caliber basketball player? Does he have to see the person play in an actual NBA game to be sure? Or could he watch me at the park and know I'm not an NBA player?

DeuceWallaces
08-24-2006, 09:58 PM
You being a musician for only 9 years does not qualify you. It's not an inference you can make. Tell me about how you sat around with Andre, hung out, jammed for a few hours, took lessons from him, saw him at a performance of classical or jazz music, or that you read some article where he or someone close to him states that he's just gettin by on the instruments.

This is very simple.

You can make very few, if any, assumptions of his proficiency based on a few pop records.

If you were such a great musician you would realize that pop music is driven by simplicity and clever hooks. Not how well you can shred on a guitar or drop some Liszt on the keyboard.

My inclination is that he's not some master musician, but don't act like you can tell based on his pop records.

kwajo
08-24-2006, 10:05 PM
if I were him, and I was magically gifted though, you can be damned sure I'd put it all into a record I knew millions of people were going to buy. Otherwise what's the point? If I'm going to the trouble of making an album, I'm not going to dumb it down for people, I'm going to use all the talent I have to put together the best record I can.
I agree with Adam somewhat here, you can usually tell the level of play that a musician has from recordings, not 100% obviously, but you can get a good picture

DeuceWallaces
08-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Listen to any radio single for a rock group. Like Aerosmith. Listen to Joe Perry play 5 chords over and over on I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing, Angel, or the radio promos for something off Get a Grip. No solo, hardly any breaks or fill ins, just some straight guitar work. You couldn't judge him off that.

Plus, you're talking about hip hop. They'll take one chord and loop it through the whole song. You think they can't hire great studio musicians to light it up on their albums? Of course they can, but it's not necessary nor is it a good idea, because popular music relies on simple hooks.

kwajo
08-24-2006, 10:14 PM
well obviously it does, I guess I'm just more pissed that there are a ton of musicians out there with talent that don't use it to full effect when they put out a record, and are content to stick with the same old formula just so they don't alienate their audience. So dull

DeuceWallaces
08-24-2006, 10:20 PM
There's more music than you could ever listen to in a lifetime that fits your bill. You just have to look for it. Plenty of musicians making records out there.

I'm just saying you can't judge technical mastery from a hip hop record. Well, unless you're a drummer I guess.

kwajo
08-24-2006, 10:24 PM
lol hey you don't have to tell me about other music than the mainstream pop, I got hundreds of records and CDs from every genre with recordings spanning 90 years, and I've been an amateur musician for 20 years. I've heard a lot of music in my time, and I'm always looking for more, I just want some of these artists who have the global spotlight to use it to really reach out and slap some sense and imagination into the huddled masses. Hell at this point I don't even care if it doesn't work, I just want someone to go down in flames trying.

IBLEEDGREEN43
08-24-2006, 10:36 PM
outkast said on BET the album really isnt a soundtrack.. there isnt any music they actually use in the movie featured on the album..

DeuceWallaces
08-24-2006, 10:36 PM
OK, understood but they didn't get into the global spotlight with any instrument mastery they may or may not have. And they're are lots of pop artists that try to switch it up, and guess what, they go bye-bye. No one will buy it, and no label will promote.

kwajo
08-24-2006, 10:47 PM
see that seems like fun to me, but I've always been a bit of a masochist, so probably not a great example

adamcz
08-24-2006, 10:48 PM
You being a musician for only 9 years does not qualify you. I've been a professional musician for 9 years - been playing instruments for 20 years. I was offered full college scholarships on more than one instrument. I'm almost done with my doctorate in music. Point is, I can tell whether or not somebody can play an instrument at a professional level.

It's not an inference you can make.No, it's not an inference you can make.

If you were such a great musician you would realize that pop music is driven by simplicity and clever hooks. Not how well you can shred on a guitar or drop some Liszt on the keyboard.In this thread, I've stated that A: Andre3000 cannot play any instruments at a professional level, and B: I like Andre3000 lot and have all of his albums. How can you read statements A and B, and then come away from it thinking that I believe pop music is based on guitar shredding and virtuoso piano?

Why do you believe that just because you aren't qualified to make a certain judgement that nobody else alive is either?

geeWiz15
08-24-2006, 10:56 PM
It mystifies me why people continue to get into arguments about music with adamcz. you will lose everytime.

HE KNOWS MORE THAN YOU. ok??

adamcz
08-24-2006, 11:01 PM
You tell 'em GeeWiz!

And before anybody tries to basterdize what I'm saying, I think Andre3000 is a better musician than I am. There aren't many rappers that I would say that about, but he's one of them. He just doesn't happen to play any instruments really well.

Suns4Life
08-24-2006, 11:03 PM
It mystifies me why people continue to get into arguments about music with adamcz. you will lose everytime.

HE KNOWS MORE THAN YOU. ok??

A lot of people on here talk about music as if they know it, when in acutality they are more counter-culture or saw a special about the topic on VH1 and are inclined to believe they are experts. I can talk about music, but by no means do I talk about it like I hold the final word. I've taken a couple music classes at a university with a top music program and listen and love pretty much any and all music, so I can atleast see more than one side of teh story.

SixerFan03
08-25-2006, 12:53 AM
A lot of people on here talk about music as if they know it, when in acutality they are more counter-culture or saw a special about the topic on VH1 and are inclined to believe they are experts.

Buy Admanz album, then decide what he knows about music.

There is a solid point here. You can't always tell how good an artist is instrumentally by what the choose to put on a record. But it is possible to take an educated guess.

Think about a journalist. If this writer writes an AP wire story, the skill he shows will be very low. But if he then decides to write a book, he's probably going to use more skill. You can't judge how good a writer he is by the AP story.

I'm going to agree with Admanz, that he could not play on a Profesional level as far as Classical or Jazz. His skill is as a pop-writer. Writing a good pop song is incredibly underrated. Writing a good, original, and innovative pop song is rare. OutKast are very good at what they do. I like them a lot.

kumquat
08-25-2006, 01:20 AM
If you take the songwriting and musical talent of mainstream bands and put it toe to toe with "indy" bands, in almost every case the mainstream people are better singers, better on their instruments, better performers and better songwriters. That's why they get record deals.

A lot of indy and non mainstream bands are really good, but by and large there is a flaw in something they do (songs sound similar, they don't have the capacity to produce more than one good album, they have internal problems, ect)

I'm leaving bubble gum pop and AMerican Idol stuff out of this because a lot of that is based on looks and appearence, but country, rock, punk, heavy, alternative, adult contemporary, jam bands, hip hop and everything else the mainstream people are amazing.

You musn't know what to listen to if you think that's the case. That's a rediculous statement you've just made. Lyrically mainstream lyrics are just that appealing to the mainstream. I'll give you some of the musical talent is better, but it depends on what style you're looking at. The problem with mainstream bands is their songs sound "too similar".

playtetris
08-25-2006, 02:10 AM
back to idlewild... haven't heard it yet, have heard 'morris brown' and 'mighty o', though. to me, nowhere near as good 'aquemini', which is one of my fave albums of all time.

@ adamcz - you can judge his proficiency based on the technicality of his work, but eh... if all musicians played to their "musical potential", nobody would write simple songs... and sometimes simple songs are the most beautiful.

adamcz
08-25-2006, 07:34 AM
@ adamcz - you can judge his proficiency based on the technicality of his work, but eh... if all musicians played to their "musical potential", nobody would write simple songs... and sometimes simple songs are the most beautiful.Not true. Lots of guys who can really play still write simple songs. Stevie Wonder, Charles Mingus, I could name 100.

Number2
08-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Good to hear a professional's opinion of Andre's skills. The man can definitely sing, though - now there's no doubt that he's a class unto himself in that regard.

adamcz
08-25-2006, 07:56 AM
The other thing about him that you guys may have noticed but not thought about is that he is not tied down to the beat. Almost every rapper (and musician in general) uses rhythms that are almost rigidly locked down to the beat. Simple divisions of two and three. Check out "Return of the Gangster": after he says the words I put in quotes, he frees himself from the beat, and meets up with it later. Sounds simple, but I've been around music long enough to know that not many feel comfortable doing that. He does this a lot at a really subtle level - placing his words right where he wants to, ahead or behind of the beat.

And like somebody else said, writing good pop songs is a very underrated skill. If everybody could do it, they would. I know I would if I could.

The Roxy
08-25-2006, 08:01 AM
The other thing about him that you guys may have noticed but not thought about is that he is not tied down to the beat. Almost every rapper (and musician in general) uses rhythms that are almost rigidly locked down to the beat. Simple divisions of two and three. Check out "Return of the Gangster": after he says the words I put in quotes, he frees himself from the beat, and meets up with it later. Sounds simple, but I've been around music long enough to know that not many feel comfortable doing that. He does this a lot at a really subtle level - placing his words right where he wants to, ahead or behind of the beat.

And like somebody else said, writing good pop songs is a very underrated skill. If everybody could do it, they would. I know I would if I could.

Playing the flute good dosen't make you an expert at music. Back when i was in High School I could play that thing like a wizard. Got so many awards and everything. I've seen what you look like. Thats what I looked like in high school. Skinny, glasses ,red hair, acne. Those days are long gone for me, but you obvisloly haven't got past that playing the flute gets you nowhere in the music buisness these days.

loot
08-25-2006, 09:45 AM
I never considered them hip hop, songs like "Hey ya" and "Church" seemed more like pop songs than hip hop. but if you disagree, then tell me your definition of hip hop, maybe mine is different.

you only started listening to them since hey ya right? pick up their albums and try to tell they aint hip hop again...

also hiphop is a culture. outkast came from that culture so they're hip hop and making hip hop music. mary j came from that culture. thats why she's considered the queen of hip hop.

you're saying they aint hiphop, now i'm asking you: what's hiphop and why arent they hip hop?

pop music is popular music, which means a lot of hip hop songs can be considered pop. so that, for one, eliminates your post.

JtotheIzzo
08-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Kiss Alive II, great double album
http://driver8.seesaa.net/image/alive2.jpg

Gene
http://www.passzio.hu/kepek/kiss/6/alive2_gene2_bw.jpg

Lascar78
08-25-2006, 10:01 AM
I have all the Outkast albums, so the only way you're right is if he hasn't demonstrated his proficiency on them. Nice guess though.
That's my point. He doesn't really play any instruments on their albums. His supposed proficiency would be outside of his albums.

playtetris
08-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Not true. Lots of guys who can really play still write simple songs. Stevie Wonder, Charles Mingus, I could name 100.

good call on the mingus. ****'s some of my favourite jazz

Timmeh
08-25-2006, 12:08 PM
you only started listening to them since hey ya right? pick up their albums and try to tell they aint hip hop again...

also hiphop is a culture. outkast came from that culture so they're hip hop and making hip hop music. mary j came from that culture. thats why she's considered the queen of hip hop.

you're saying they aint hiphop, now i'm asking you: what's hiphop and why arent they hip hop?

pop music is popular music, which means a lot of hip hop songs can be considered pop. so that, for one, eliminates your post. I don't listen to Outkast period because that's not my style of music. I'm not going to waste my money on music I know I'm not going to like. My definition of hip hop, in layman's terms, is modern day rap. You had the old school rap from the early-mid 90's that you hear very little of today, so I just figured hip hop was the people like Three 6 Mafia and Lil Jon who only release songs to the radio that have to do with dance steps and ****in women.

Pop music to me is people like Pink, Jessica Simpson, Ashlee Simpson Kelly Clarkson, Britney Spears, N'Sync, people who just sing to studio made music but may carry a band around on tour for ****s and giggles.

DeuceWallaces
08-25-2006, 12:37 PM
I've been a professional musician for 9 years - been playing instruments for 20 years. I was offered full college scholarships on more than one instrument. I'm almost done with my doctorate in music. Point is, I can tell whether or not somebody can play an instrument at a professional level.
No, it's not an inference you can make.

In this thread, I've stated that A: Andre3000 cannot play any instruments at a professional level, and B: I like Andre3000 lot and have all of his albums. How can you read statements A and B, and then come away from it thinking that I believe pop music is based on guitar shredding and virtuoso piano?

Why do you believe that just because you aren't qualified to make a certain judgement that nobody else alive is either?

Dude, it's obvious you're just pumping your ego. No one cares if you have or are getting your Phd in Performance. You think I didn't get a full ride on music? Think I don't run a record store and have been playing for 20 years? No one cares. We're talking about Andre and what he can do.

It doesn't matter how much you have trained or what you think you know, you can't judge someones musical talent from what they put on a hip pop record.

Your skills and training have nothing to do with it. You don't know crap about Andre, or any hip-hoppers musical skills across a variety of instruments, based on what they put on their pop record. How is that so hard to understand?

Once again, have you jammed with Andre? Was he in one of your classes? Did you see him at a performance concert, possibly playing some jazz or classical?

Please bring some evidence, something that holds ground other than your unfounded opinions based on yoru ego and his hip pop records.

adamcz
08-25-2006, 03:30 PM
You think I didn't get a full ride on music? Think I don't run a record store and have been playing for 20 years?
No, I don't think that. Your (lack of) command of the English language makes it very doubtful that you are an adult, much less a college graduate. Anything's possible, but this is one story that I'm not buying.

Your skills and training have nothing to do with it. You don't know crap about Andre, or any hip-hoppers musical skills across a variety of instruments, based on what they put on their pop record. How is that so hard to understand?How is it so hard for you to understand that when I hear somebody play an instrument, I can tell how good they are at it? I don't need to hear "virtuoso" passages to know if somebody can play - the highest level of virtuosity is subtlety anyway.

Do you think Jerry West needs to see 360 between the legs dunks to know if somebody can play basketball? Does he need to see three pointers from half court?

Please bring some evidence, something that holds ground other than your unfounded opinions based on yoru ego and his hip pop records.It's funny that you think the burden of proof lies on me here. What if I create a thread that claims Shaq is not only an Oscar-worthy actor, but also a better painter than Monet, and a better author than Hemmingway. According to your (lack of) logic, nobody can argue with my statement unless they can bring to the table a serious movie, painting, and novel by the Diesel? Would you enter that thread to defend my claim?

IBLEEDGREEN43
08-25-2006, 04:01 PM
this album is a blend of hip hop, r and b, instruments, pop.. i love it..

big boi brings the heat on some tracks, but you can tell andre is trying to stay as far away from the dance hip hop as possible, which is a nice change..

im really into this album..

adamcz
08-25-2006, 04:06 PM
That's my point. He doesn't really play any instruments on their albums. His supposed proficiency would be outside of his albums.Who takes the piano and soprano solos on "My Favorite Things" on Love Below? I assumed it was Andre, since why else would it be on the album?

Take Your Lumps
08-25-2006, 04:13 PM
First thing out of Dre's mouth on the album:

You ain't a hater? Can't tell.
Either wish me well, go to hell, or go to Yale.

Fitting.

funkylikemonkey
08-25-2006, 04:15 PM
This award should be reserved until next February when the Ghostface/MF Doom album comes out.

loot
08-25-2006, 05:08 PM
My definition of hip hop, in layman's terms, is modern day rap. You had the old school rap from the early-mid 90's that you hear very little of today, so I just figured hip hop was the people like Three 6 Mafia and Lil Jon who only release songs to the radio that have to do with dance steps and ****in women.

Pop music to me is people like Pink, Jessica Simpson, Ashlee Simpson Kelly Clarkson, Britney Spears, N'Sync, people who just sing to studio made music but may carry a band around on tour for ****s and giggles.

you're definitions are screwed up.
hip hop isnt modern day rap, hip hop was hip hop back in 1979 already. modern day rap = also k-fed or what's his name. he's rapping, but no way he's hip hop.

Pop music to me is people like Pink, Jessica Simpson, Ashlee Simpson Kelly Clarkson, Britney Spears, N'Sync, people who just sing to studio made music but may carry a band around on tour for ****s and giggles

every rapper uses studio ,ade music. you want to record on the streets? some carry a band around too... the definitions you just gave, just show you shouldn't comment at all. you're not interested in outkast, you didnt listen to their albums, so you shouldn't speak on the subject. period.

playtetris
08-25-2006, 10:13 PM
This award should be reserved until next February when the Ghostface/MF Doom album comes out.

hell yes

IBLEEDGREEN43
08-25-2006, 10:15 PM
the album is 25 tracks.. some skits.. but its sucha solid album from 1 to 25.. the beats r akward, but they always have been without outkast..

its pure music, i love it...

outkast is the best duo ever

adamcz
08-25-2006, 10:17 PM
By the way, this album really isn't a duet album.

GOBB
08-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Dude, it's obvious you're just pumping your ego. No one cares if you have or are getting your Phd in Performance. You think I didn't get a full ride on music? Think I don't run a record store and have been playing for 20 years? No one cares. We're talking about Andre and what he can do.

It doesn't matter how much you have trained or what you think you know, you can't judge someones musical talent from what they put on a hip pop record.

Your skills and training have nothing to do with it. You don't know crap about Andre, or any hip-hoppers musical skills across a variety of instruments, based on what they put on their pop record. How is that so hard to understand?

Once again, have you jammed with Andre? Was he in one of your classes? Did you see him at a performance concert, possibly playing some jazz or classical?

Please bring some evidence, something that holds ground other than your unfounded opinions based on yoru ego and his hip pop records.

You flat out killed adamcz. Wow! :applause:

adamcz
08-26-2006, 07:01 PM
So who plays piano on My Favorite Things? Is it not Andre?

GOBB
08-26-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't know if it is the best album, but Oukast is by far the best hip hop duo/Group of all time. They smoke, P.E., BDP, De La, Tribe, EPMD, Furious Five, Whodini, Get Fresh Cru, Wu Tang...all of em.

They only group that gives them comp are Run DMC, but they have a historical relevance that Outkast could never have so they aren't even in the discussion.

But out of the remaining groups, Outkast trumps them on orginality, creativity, lyrical content, style, every level...

And you're an Atlanta fan praising an Atlanta group. Go figure. And how long you are relevant has little to do with how good/great you are. Wu Tang for the most part have artists who have put out classic, near classic albums. Who continue to do thier solo career. You'll never find a group that consisted of x amount f emcees each bringing thier own style/flava and morphing into 1 when they come as one/a group. So to just throw them out there like there is no competition for Outkast is retarded.

Your statements are dumb. But you're biased so why am I even going there?

Hawker
08-26-2006, 07:13 PM
i really dont listen to outkast but with pop-punk bands out there today u can that they arent very talented even if just by listening to their CD. You dont have to have jammed with those losers to kno that they suck. All they play are power chords and lame harmonic crap with two strings. This applies to what adamcz is playing. If andre had this talent then im sure he would show some of it.

BTW shredding isnt that skillful either. there is a difference between shredding and soloing.

JohnnyBravo5
08-26-2006, 08:02 PM
So who plays piano on My Favorite Things? Is it not Andre?

No its McCoy Tyner:banana:

adamcz
08-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Right ;)

LakerzFan4Life
08-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Best Album of Tha Year:

Rick Ross - Port of Miami

Young HkM
08-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Best Album of Tha Year:

Rick Ross - Port of Miami

I'm sorry bro, but RR is the worst dude out right now.

IBLEEDGREEN43
08-27-2006, 01:48 AM
rick ross is a horrible rapper, outkasts album will and is blowing ross away..

Lebron23
03-30-2016, 08:15 AM
BUMP to the first and oldest thread in OTC History.