PDA

View Full Version : Big Ten fan thread

InspiredLebowski
06-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure if there is one, please link me, I couldn't find one. Each conference should have a sticky thread in this forum.

IU landed a recruit today, a 2 guard named Malik Story. I know nothing about him other than he was formerly committed to USC.

i seen hippos
06-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Well, the only Big 10 fans that post here are myself and those silly Illinois fans...who have their own thread.

Roy Munson
06-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Well, the only Big 10 fans that post here are myself and those silly Illinois fans...who have their own thread.

:oldlol: Hey! Not all of us are silly! You're a Sparty fan aren't you?

i seen hippos
06-21-2008, 08:51 PM
:oldlol: Hey! Not all of us are silly! You're a Sparty fan aren't you?

Yes. I root for respectable programs.

IlliniFan
06-21-2008, 08:54 PM
I know there's some Indiana fans on here, or at least were on here. I got a bunch of negative reps when I made the Illinois Fan Thread. Actually, it was probably Hippos.

Roy Munson
06-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Yes. I root for respectable programs.

:oldlol: Rooting for respectable programs is overrated.

InspiredLebowski
06-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I know there's some Indiana fans on here, or at least were on here. I got a bunch of negative reps when I made the Illinois Fan Thread. Actually, it was probably Hippos.
I'm sure the IU fans ran off once their program fell on hard times. ISH seems to attract quite a few bandwagoners, as does Bloomington.

Posterize246
06-22-2008, 06:34 PM
if anyone in here is interested in an nba draft game i'm having one in the nba draft forum. check out the thread for rules and let me know

wang4three
06-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Illinois all day! Muck Fichigan!

InspiredLebowski
06-26-2008, 05:32 PM
IU AD Rick Greenspan to "resign" at end of December. Makes sense why he'd be getting fired (I mean resigning), but not until the end of the year?

Roy Munson
06-27-2008, 02:01 AM
Not a very good draft for our conference. Only three guys. Two of them freshmen. I will say that I'm glad D.J. White went in the first round and gets a guarenteed contract. He plays hard and persevered after his injuries, not to mention he's a very talented player. Koufos, I have no real opinion about. I saw him play a handful of times and thought he was pretty good, that's about it. Gordon, as an Illini fan, most will probably think that I hate his guts. Not true. Kids change their minds, and a committment means nothing until you sign. It's easy for people to say this now, but I was actually saying this after all of the controversy happened. I think he will be an explosive scorer in spurts in the league, especially after he gets his feet.

Posterize246
06-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Not a very good draft for our conference. Only three guys. Two of them freshmen. I will say that I'm glad D.J. White went in the first round and gets a guarenteed contract. He plays hard and persevered after his injuries, not to mention he's a very talented player. Koufos, I have no real opinion about. I saw him play a handful of times and thought he was pretty good, that's about it. Gordon, as an Illini fan, most will probably think that I hate his guts. Not true. Kids change their minds, and a committment means nothing until you sign. It's easy for people to say this now, but I was actually saying this after all of the controversy happened. I think he will be an explosive scorer in spurts in the league, especially after he gets his feet.
This could be surprising to some...but I think DJ White will be the best of the 3.

InspiredLebowski
06-27-2008, 09:55 AM
This could be surprising to some...but I think DJ White will be the best of the 3.

I could see that. I don't think Gordon's got a shot to develop in LA, they'll want him to start, and play some point. He shouldn't be doing either. Koufos is absolute garbage. I could see DJ putting up 14/8/2 type numbers some day.

rfidd
06-27-2008, 10:16 AM
I have heard that Northwestern has a decent recruiting season and will be on the rise in the Big Ten.

Rick

DinoRadja40
06-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Im an iu fan, i have another name of ronartestlilborther, but when they switched from ezboard i lost it

Posterize246
07-14-2008, 11:26 PM
http://www.ricesigns.com/real_pictures/bump_signs.jpg

My Big Ten '08-'09 standings

1.Michigan State
2.Purdue
3.Wisconsin
4.Ohio State
5. Minnesota
6.Iowa
7.Michigan
8.Illinois
9.Northwestern
10.Penn State
11.Indiana

I admit I don't know much about the Big Ten. Just trying to give this thread some more love. So don't grade me too harshly.

i seen hippos
07-15-2008, 12:13 AM
http://www.ricesigns.com/real_pictures/bump_signs.jpg

My Big Ten '08-'09 standings

1.Michigan State
2.Purdue
3.Wisconsin
4.Ohio State
5.Iowa
6.Michigan
7.Illinois
8.Northwestern
9.Penn State
10.Indiana

I admit I don't know much about the Big Ten. Just trying to give this thread some more love. So don't grade me too harshly.

Bump Illinois up a few notches. I see them 4th or 5th.

letyoufly
07-15-2008, 12:19 AM
I have never really been a fan of the Big 10 and their style of play, but I have to say this is an especially weak year for this conference. However, if the past few years have taught us anything, it's that Wisconsin will always be one of the top teams, and in a year like this with no definitive favorite, Bo Ryan will probably lead them to another Big 10 title. They aren't the most talented team by far, and in fact I usually root against them, (I don't really know why, they just piss me off) but you cannot deny the man knows how to coach.

Asside from them, Michigan St. and Purdue, the Big 10 is pretty much garbage. Michagan could win a few big games when Harris goes off, and Illinois has the best chance at the conference's 4th tourney team if McCamey can step up as a big time point guard. They also have their two best shooters coming back from from ineligibility last year.

The other teams are all "rebuilding". Don't expect too much competition from the bottom feeders in this league.

Roy Munson
07-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Bump Illinois up a few notches. I see them 4th or 5th.

I hope you're right. I'm having a difficult time getting excited about this team. There is some potential there, I'm just worried it may go untapped this year.

BTW, I'm glad this thread got stickied.

Posterize246
07-16-2008, 11:45 PM
What's everyone's coaching rankings for the Big Ten? I can only name 7 of them, so I won't bother trying. What do you think?

JellyBean
07-17-2008, 11:27 AM
A.... there are some Minnesota fans here also, jeez. And yes I am proud of my Golden Gophers...daggumit!!!

Posterize246
07-17-2008, 11:36 AM
A.... there are some Minnesota fans here also, jeez. And yes I am proud of my Golden Gophers...daggumit!!!
my bad

i seen hippos
07-17-2008, 04:11 PM

I will be watching how Joseph does with interest. Hope he gets to start at the 2.

JellyBean
07-17-2008, 05:00 PM
my bad

No problem.:) I mean there are only a few Minnesota fans. But we gotta let people we are out there.

I also am a UConn fan. So you will see me posting in the Big East and the Big Ten threads quite a bit.

IlliniFan
07-17-2008, 07:05 PM
What's everyone's coaching rankings for the Big Ten? I can only name 7 of them, so I won't bother trying. What do you think?
1. Izzo
2. Ryan
3. Weber
4. Matta
5. Painter
6. Smith
7. Beilein
8. Crean
9. Lickliter
10.DeChellis
11.Carmody

i seen hippos
07-17-2008, 07:10 PM
1. Izzo
2. Ryan
3. Weber
4. Matta
5. Painter
6. Smith
7. Beilein
8. Crean
9. Lickliter
10.DeChellis
11.Carmody

Best coaches from top to bottom in any conference.

Posterize246
07-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Best coaches from top to bottom in any conference.
Maybe top to bottom. I was going to say Big East but its kind of top heavy. JT III, Jay Wright, Jim Boeheim, Bob Huggins, Rick Pitino, Jim Calhoun, Mike Brey, and Jamie Dixon

Posterize246
07-17-2008, 07:16 PM
1. Izzo
2. Ryan
3. Weber
4. Matta
5. Painter
6. Smith
7. Beilein
8. Crean
9. Lickliter
10.DeChellis
11.Carmody
Crean that low?

IlliniFan
07-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Crean that low?
Yeah, I don't see why he should be any higher. Just my opinion though. I'm sure someone a little more knowledgeable can come up with a better list.

Posterize246
07-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I don't see why he should be any higher. Just my opinion though. I'm sure someone a little more knowledgeable can come up with a better list.
I think he's worthy of the 5 spot if not higher. He was a very respectable coach at Marquette. But I admit I don't know too much about Painter or Smith so maybe I'm wrong. I would definately put him above Beilein though.

barne100
07-17-2008, 09:43 PM
I think he's worthy of the 5 spot if not higher. He was a very respectable coach at Marquette. But I admit I don't know too much about Painter or Smith so maybe I'm wrong. I would definately put him above Beilein though.

dont know much about smith...? you do know which smith this is right... tubby.

i seen hippos
07-17-2008, 09:46 PM

My first thought too.:oldlol:

Posterize246
07-17-2008, 10:02 PM
OHHH tubbyyyy wow I still think of him with kentucky. Can't associate him with minnesota yet

InspiredLebowski
07-17-2008, 10:08 PM
No-homer edition:
Ryan
Izzo
Smith
Painter
Weber
Matta (great recruiter, give him one of Bo Ryan's teams and see what happens)
Crean
Lickliter
Beilein
DeChellis
Carmody

TheGame414
07-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Thoughts on All-Big Ten this year, anyone?

Here's my guess:

1st-team:

G: Kalin Lucas, MSU
G: E'Twaun Moore, Purdue
F: Robbie Hummel, Purdue
F: Ramar Morgan, MSU
C: B.J. Mullens, OSU

2nd-team:

G: Demetri McCamey, Illinois
G: Manny Harris, Michigan
F: Evan Turner, OSU
F: Marcus Landry, Wisconsin
C: Jujuan Johnson, Purdue

3rd-team:

G: Trevon Hughes, Wisconsin
G: Jamar Smith, Illinois
F: Joe Krabbenhoft, Wisconsin
F: Delvon Roe, MSU
C: Goran Suton, MSU

i seen hippos
07-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Jamelle Cornley.

JellyBean
07-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Thoughts on All-Big Ten this year, anyone?

Here's my guess:

1st-team:

G: Kalin Lucas, MSU
G: E'Twaun Moore, Purdue
F: Robbie Hummel, Purdue
F: Ramar Morgan, MSU
C: B.J. Mullens, OSU

2nd-team:

G: Demetri McCamey, Illinois
G: Manny Harris, Michigan
F: Evan Turner, OSU
F: Marcus Landry, Wisconsin
C: Jujuan Johnson, Purdue

3rd-team:

G: Trevon Hughes, Wisconsin
G: Jamar Smith, Illinois
F: Joe Krabbenhoft, Wisconsin
F: Delvon Roe, MSU
C: Goran Suton, MSU

Michigan St is going to have a nice squad. I like that Morgan kid on the Spartans. He plays fearless.

I think that we will have a surprise this season. Minnesota is going to shock alot of people.

Tubby Smith has a top 20 recruiting class for 2008. Plus, we have some highly ranked players on the docket for next season (2009). Tubby is making Minnesota proud.

Posterize246
07-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Michigan St is going to have a nice squad. I like that Morgan kid on the Spartans. He plays fearless.

I think that we will have a surprise this season. Minnesota is going to shock alot of people.

Tubby Smith has a top 20 recruiting class for 2008. Plus, we have some highly ranked players on the docket for next season (2009). Tubby is making Minnesota proud.
HOFFARBER!

hwliuLAP
07-28-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty sure IU's not gonna be hot at all this year, still make a reasonable record after losing all its starter, and fans will love the new coach for his energy, and the fact that he tries to preach in some defense. But other then that, it's gonna be a very sad day when I may have to witness Purdue actually beating IU here in bloomington.

Roy Munson
07-28-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm pretty sure IU's not gonna be hot at all this year, still make a reasonable record after losing all its starter, and fans will love the new coach for his energy, and the fact that he tries to preach in some defense. But other then that, it's gonna be a very sad day when I may have to witness Purdue actually beating IU here in bloomington.

They didn't just lose all of their starters. They lost pretty much the entire team.

Posterize246
07-28-2008, 08:09 PM
They didn't just lose all of their starters. They lost pretty much the entire team.
AND they're recruits. They're ****ed

InspiredLebowski
07-28-2008, 08:25 PM
The silver lining, if there is one, of the whole IU saga is that when you bring in a new coach with a completely different style, demeanor, philosophy, all that, you may as well start from scratch. If a guy doesn't want to be there, get rid of him, no reason to keep him around.

And I am going to love every single bit of IU's misery this season.

InspiredLebowski
07-29-2008, 02:48 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080729/SPORTS0601/807290355

Tom Crean gets a 2 year extension...less than 3 months into the job. Makes sense to me!

Roy Munson
07-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Well, drop Illinois a few spots in your preseason predictions. Jamar Smith proved my theory that he was more an idiot than a victim of circumstance by getting caught drinking at a bar, which violates his probation. I don't think there is anyway Weber can keep him around after this incident.

In other news, they picked up a verbal from Meyers Leonard, a 6'10 class of 2010 center from Robinson, Illinois. I've seen ranked as high as #43 in the country, and is generally considered a four star prospect. Everything I've read says that he has loads of potential and has performed very well this summer, shooting him up the rankings. That said, I'm always apprehensive about small school players' ability to make the jump into big time college ball.

JellyBean
07-30-2008, 12:59 AM

It may be a down year, but IU will be back in the hunt soon.

tian820
08-03-2008, 05:51 PM
I might be the only Wisconsin fan on here, lol. Oh well.. Also, Jamar Smith is an IDIOT. I was down in Champaign during the "Unofficial" weekend (for those of you who know what that is :D) and my most of my buddies who go there just rip on him. Weber needs to do something big and bring that program back up

Roy Munson
08-03-2008, 10:26 PM
I might be the only Wisconsin fan on here, lol. Oh well.. Also, Jamar Smith is an IDIOT. I was down in Champaign during the "Unofficial" weekend (for those of you who know what that is :D) and my most of my buddies who go there just rip on him.

"Unofficial" is a complete s***show. But a fun one. :oldlol: And Jamar Smith is definitely an idiot and deserves getting ripped as much as anyone. Way to blow it all.

Weber needs to do something big and bring that program back up

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&toinid=405&yr=2009

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&toinid=405&yr=2010

tian820
08-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Ha, seeing that gives the Big 10 some hope. UofI needs to be successful if the Big 10 is to get respect. I don't like them, but Bruce Weber's a good coach, he just needs some talent. Knowing the Illini, can't really be too happy about anything until the recruits hit campus though :)

InspiredLebowski
08-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Remember Roshown McLeod? He's now an IU assistant.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080814/SPORTS0601/808140541

JellyBean
08-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Remember Roshown McLeod? He's now an IU assistant.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080814/SPORTS0601/808140541

The name does not ring a bell. It says that he played at Duke and St John's, and I don't remember this cats name.

I might have to do a youtube search to see if I can find a video of McLeod.

InspiredLebowski
08-16-2008, 06:24 PM
The name does not ring a bell. It says that he played at Duke and St John's, and I don't remember this cats name.

I might have to do a youtube search to see if I can find a video of McLeod.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/311008.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B3EA2C03450C94866714334804CAE22E 284831B75F48EF45
Played at Duke 96/97 and 97/98, St. John's the 2 years prior, with a transfer year in between. He was a pretty solid player.

heatherhoops
09-18-2008, 03:14 PM
An attempt to map out all basketball courts in the US. http://nofouls.com

catzhernandez
09-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Purdue's gonna be good.

InspiredLebowski
10-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Purdue just signed Anthony Johnson, a top 35 (according to some sites) player out of Chicago's Whitney Young HS. From the scouting reports he seems pretty similar to soon to be B10 POY E'Twuan Moore. Anyone (read: Roy Munson) know if that's an accurate assessment? Sort of wish he'd have inked a bit sooner so Donnie Hale could have gotten Terone Johnson's offer. I like Johnson, but I'd rather have a big like Hale.

That finishes off the next two classes for Purdue, now Painter and staff can start working on 2011. Talk about getting good inroads on big time recruits.

Roy Munson
10-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Purdue just signed Anthony Johnson, a top 35 (according to some sites) player out of Chicago's Whitney Young HS. From the scouting reports he seems pretty similar to soon to be B10 POY E'Twuan Moore. Anyone (read: Roy Munson) know if that's an accurate assessment? Sort of wish he'd have inked a bit sooner so Donnie Hale could have gotten Terone Johnson's offer. I like Johnson, but I'd rather have a big like Hale.

That finishes off the next two classes for Purdue, now Painter and staff can start working on 2011. Talk about getting good inroads on big time recruits.

Well, like I said in the recruiting/commitment thread, I have only seen him play once and wasn't too impressed. This was probably due more to Whitney Young's style of play than a lack of talent. They had at least 6 or 7 D1 caliber players and substituted as much as any high school team I have ever seen, so none of the players outside of A.J. Rompza their point guard (he's at a mid-major in Florida now, I believer) had enough time on the floor to get into any kind of flow. That being said, I could definitely tell the kid could play, and he has some deeeeeep range. As far as the Moore comparison, I didn't really see it. Moore plays in attack mode more often than Johnson, but take that with a grain of salt since I have only seen him play once. Great pickup for the Boilers though. I really thought that Ohio St. was going to get him.

InspiredLebowski
10-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Well, like I said in the recruiting/commitment thread, I have only seen him play once and wasn't too impressed. This was probably due more to Whitney Young's style of play than a lack of talent. They had at least 6 or 7 D1 caliber players and substituted as much as any high school team I have ever seen, so none of the players outside of A.J. Rompza their point guard (he's at a mid-major in Florida now, I believer) had enough time on the floor to get into any kind of flow. That being said, I could definitely tell the kid could play, and he has some deeeeeep range. As far as the Moore comparison, I didn't really see it. Moore plays in attack mode more often than Johnson, but take that with a grain of salt since I have only seen him play once. Great pickup for the Boilers though. I really thought that Ohio St. was going to get him.

Thanks. I'd read on another message board that it's hard to get a real grasp of his abilities because Whitney Young is apparently extremely deep and their coach plays basically all 12 guys.

JellyBean
10-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Mt Golden Gophers are going to make the NCAA tournament field this year. Heck, we are going to finish 2nd in the Big Ten, just behind Purdue and just ahead of Michigan St.

This is the year of the Golden Gophers!! Coach Smith has this program heading into the right direction.

Go, Gophers!!!

Posterize246
10-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Mt Golden Gophers are going to make the NCAA tournament field this year. Heck, we are going to finish 2nd in the Big Ten, just behind Purdue and just ahead of Michigan St.

This is the year of the Golden Gophers!! Coach Smith has this program heading into the right direction.

Go, Gophers!!!
They won't be ahead of Mich. St.

USAFtrevor87
10-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Finally!!! i've waited almost a week for the moderators or whatever to accept my membership stuff... I got a feelin my Young Badgers will surprise again... and maybe even take the Big ten... again :)

the_chosen_1
10-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I don't think IU will be as bad as everyone thinks. They will not win the conference but a fifth or sixth place finish is not out of the question!

Then again, I went to IU and have lived in the area most of my life, so I am a little bias. It will be tough this year but then again standards have not been met her since 02.

USAFtrevor87
10-30-2008, 12:32 AM
I don't think IU will be as bad as everyone thinks. They will not win the conference but a fifth or sixth place finish is not out of the question!

Then again, I went to IU and have lived in the area most of my life, so I am a little bias. It will be tough this year but then again standards have not been met her since 02.

Like on the other IU post someone said .500 is a good season this year, but beware of IU next season

Posterize246
11-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Manny Harris kicks off the season with a 30 pt/7 rebound game

BTFU98923
11-27-2008, 07:40 PM
1. Izzo
2. Ryan
3. Weber
4. Matta
5. Painter
6. Smith
7. Beilein
8. Crean
9. Lickliter
10.DeChellis
11.Carmody

Painter in 5th??? have you SEEN what he has done in 4 years??? i would put him near the top, if not at the top. obviously i'm a little biased, and either bo ryan or izzo would most likely be my number one, simply based on the past couple seasons

BTFU98923
11-27-2008, 07:47 PM

you should go ahead and get used to not beating purdue for the next couple years, no matter where these teams play

Posterize246
11-28-2008, 02:08 AM
Anybody catch Raymar Morgan and Tom Izzo gettin into it on the sideline during the Maryland game? wasn't pretty

BTFU98923
11-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Anybody catch Raymar Morgan and Tom Izzo gettin into it on the sideline during the Maryland game? wasn't pretty
i saw that too. michigan state looked pretty dang bad last night. i will go ahead and chalk that up to suton being out and morgan being in foul trouble, as well as great preparation by a well coached maryland squad. this game really wasn't even close in the 2nd half though, and i was pretty shocked

JellyBean
11-30-2008, 12:19 PM
How about them dang, Gophers!!!??? Man, if we play this good Tuesday against Virginia...watch out Big Ten!!!

We should be able to get a win against those guys on Tuesday. They are picked to finish last in the ACC. We gotta get that win on Tuesday! Come on, Gophers!!!

Ian
12-02-2008, 01:10 AM
As a life long Badgers fan I suppose it's only my place to say...WOW, what a game against V-Tech tonight. We had complete control of the game until the last minute or so, but we were able to sneak by. Way too close for comfort, but it's still a Dubya.

We play Purdue twice this season. I'm almost positive we'll split the games. Can't wait to see them.

IlliniFan
12-02-2008, 02:52 AM
Painter in 5th??? have you SEEN what he has done in 4 years??? i would put him near the top, if not at the top. obviously i'm a little biased, and either bo ryan or izzo would most likely be my number one, simply based on the past couple seasons
The guys above him have done more plain and simple. As of now, I'd say that top 5 is pretty damn accurate, even though I was tempted to be a complete homer and put Weber on top, but I resisted, and I feel that #3 right now for him is good. I'll promptly move him up when he brings that national championsihp home in the next few years :D

JellyBean
12-02-2008, 09:12 AM
As a life long Badgers fan I suppose it's only my place to say...WOW, what a game against V-Tech tonight. We had complete control of the game until the last minute or so, but we were able to sneak by. Way too close for comfort, but it's still a Dubya.

We play Purdue twice this season. I'm almost positive we'll split the games. Can't wait to see them.

So true!! What a game. I figured that the Badgers had this one on lock down---but then.....the Hokies got hot. That last minute or so of the game was intense. Great game, Badgers. I hope that my Gophers play well and get that "W"!!!

JellyBean
12-03-2008, 12:35 AM
The Gophers get the win!! Great game, Gophers.

Minny: 66

Virginia: 56

InspiredLebowski
12-05-2008, 04:17 AM
Manny Harris may be the most slept on major conference star in the nation.

JellyBean
12-08-2008, 11:37 PM
The Big Ten is getting some love!!! For years people have said that we were the weakest conference. Now. Nobody is saying jack!! We are leading all conferences with 73 percent of its teams receiving votes in this week's Associated Press (AP) poll. Three teams--Purdue (14), Michigan State (18) and Ohio State (21) are ranked among the top-25 while Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern and Wisconsin are all receiving votes. The ACC follows with 58 percent of its membership receiving votes in the AP poll. The ACC has three teams ranked and an additional four receiving votes. The Big East and Big 12 round out the top four with 50 percent of their squads receiving votes.

Also, way to go, Michigan and to her fans. You guys beat UCLA and Duke. Make the Big Ten proud.

Way to go, Big Ten!!! Of course I have ties to the Big East(UConn), but I grew up in Big Ten country (Minnesota).

JellyBean
12-24-2008, 11:32 AM
How about them darn Gophers!!!?? 11-0.

IlliniFan
12-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Maybe this will be the year they break their 20 game losing streak to the Illini.

JellyBean
12-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Maybe this will be the year they break their 20 game losing streak to the Illini.

Anything is possible.

TheGame414
12-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Conference season starts tonight, so here's my nonconference All-Big Ten teams...

1st team:

G- Talor Battle, Penn State (19.2 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 5.5 apg)
G- Manny Harris, Michigan (19.8 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 5.1 apg)
F- Evan Turner, Ohio State (16.2 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.9 apg, 2.7 spg)
F- Robbie Hummel, Purdue (14.4 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 2.3 apg)
F- DeShawn Sims, Michigan (17.2 ppg, 9.2 rpg)

2nd team:

G- Demetri McCamey, Illinois (12.2 ppg, 4.5 apg)
G- Al Nolen, Minnesota (8.0 ppg, 6.3 apg, 2.3 spg)
G- E'Twaun Moore, Purdue (14.4 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.2 apg)
F- Raymar Morgan, Michigan State (15.3 ppg, 5.9 rpg, .653 FG%)
F- Mike Davis, Illinois (12.1 ppg, 7.8 rpg, .545 FG%)

3rd team:

G- Kalin Lucas, Michigan State (11.4 ppg, 6.5 apg, 6.45/1 A/TO)
G- Lawrence Westbrook, Minnesota (13.0 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 2.0 apg)
F- Jamelle Cornley, Penn State (14.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg)
F- Marcus Landry, Wisconsin (12.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg)
C- JuJuan Johnson, Purdue (12.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.2 bpg)

i seen hippos
12-31-2008, 03:52 PM
And the dominance begins.

i seen hippos
01-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Big game tonight at home for MSU. Beating two of the top five teams in the big 10 already would be a nice start along with being 3-0 in conference play overall.

TheGame414
01-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Michigan State's really getting some early separation here (note: I realize I say so at my own peril, but I'm not sold on Wisconsin yet), especially by dropping Ohio State to 1-2 and Purdue's 0-2 start, and Illinois missing a chance to really get into the thick of the race early on, letting a potential huge 2-0 start on the road slip away at Michigan.

The next two Big Ten games aren't gimmes for Sparty, with Penn State making a statement beating Purdue (granted, without Hummel), not to mention MSU lost there last year. And while they should certainly beat Illinois at Breslin, we're proving to not be an easy out for anyone this year, it looks like.

They shouldn't be worse than 8-2 before back-to-back road games at Michigan and Purdue in mid-February, though.

InspiredLebowski
01-07-2009, 07:08 AM
I'm not sure how great the Big Ten is as far as March competitiveness, but they're very very deep. Whoever wins it is probably going to have at least 3/4 losses, but talk about Purdue digging a hole. I'm a fan and all but since the Duke game I thought they were overrated, I'd put them between 15-20, and w/o Hummel and Kramer they're just mediocre.

They HAVE to beat Wisconsin on Sunday.

TheGame414
01-07-2009, 02:35 PM
With two home games sandwiched around a trip to Northwestern, Purdue badly needs to take these next three before a brutal stretch from Jan. 22 to Feb. 8: @Minnesota, @Wisconsin, v. Michigan, @OSU, @Illinois.

Especially if Hummel's ouchy for any extended period of time, they could be looking at potentially being 5-5 or even 4-6 at the end of that stretch.

With that brutal stretch ahead, an 0-2 start when they should be 2-0 and Michigan State's hot start, it might not be rash to declare Purdue out of the Big Ten race already.

i seen hippos
01-21-2009, 12:59 AM
So much for 7 bids.

Michigan is coming back down to earth my friends. lol OSU is a crapshoot right now.

I say 5. 6 if we're lucky.

IlliniFan
01-21-2009, 02:37 AM
Purdue
Illinois
Michigan St.
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Ohio St.

I think 6 of these teams get in for sure. 7 if we're lucky. Michigan and OSU both have some good wins. Just need to win their home games and steal one or two on the road.

TheGame414
01-21-2009, 04:06 AM
So much for 7 bids.

Michigan is coming back down to earth my friends. lol OSU is a crapshoot right now.

I say 5. 6 if we're lucky.
Michigan's wins over Duke and UCLA still loom large. That gave them a big cushion coming into Big Ten play, and they've already added another quality win beating Illinois.

As strong as the conference rates so far- clearly ahead of everyone but the Big East and ACC- a 9-9 conference record could get them in. And I think 9-9 is about where they're headed.

That would put them squarely on the bubble, but the point is I certainly wouldn't rule out seven Big Ten bids at this point, especially considering that's exactly what Lunardi projected earlier this week. Even if you want to feel pessimistic about Michigan's chances, what about Penn State? They're still very much in the mix.

You can obviously forget about Iowa, Northwestern and Indiana. Other than that, the rest of the Big Ten is still very realistic for the NCAA tourney. I think seven is by no means out of the question.

i seen hippos
01-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Michigan's wins over Duke and UCLA still loom large. That gave them a big cushion coming into Big Ten play, and they've already added another quality win beating Illinois.

As strong as the conference rates so far- clearly ahead of everyone but the Big East and ACC- a 9-9 conference record could get them in. And I think 9-9 is about where they're headed.

That would put them squarely on the bubble, but the point is I certainly wouldn't rule out seven Big Ten bids at this point, especially considering that's exactly what Lunardi projected earlier this week. Even if you want to feel pessimistic about Michigan's chances, what about Penn State? They're still very much in the mix.

You can obviously forget about Iowa, Northwestern and Indiana. Other than that, the rest of the Big Ten is still very realistic for the NCAA tourney. I think seven is by no means out of the question.

Michigan has big wins, but looking at their schedule and watching them last night, who says they end up with more than 18-19 wins heading into the Big 10 tournament? It could get dangerous for them. BUT, even if that was the case, a win against UConn or MSU wouldn't make this a pointless discussion.

OSU is in better shape schedule wise. They should finish something like 21-8 heading into the Big 10 tournament. With the RPI and all, a 22-9 or 23-9 record will be enough for the selection comittee.

BTFU98923
01-23-2009, 05:27 PM

I think you have to at least throw Northwestern in there now. Still a long shot, but a shot nonetheless. They have beaten 2 good ranked teams in a row in Minnesota and Michigan State. This conference is SO deep this year, and its alot of fun to watch!

BTFU98923
01-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Who are your Big Ten POTY candidates right now?

Some of mine:

Manny Harris (Mich) - PPG: 18.1, RPG: 7.4, APG: 4.6
JaJuan Johnson (Pur) - PPG: 12.8, RPG: 5.8, BPG: 2.5
Robbie Hummel (Pur) - PPG: 13.2, RPG: 7.9
Kalin Lucas (MSU) - PPG: 14.1, APG: 5.2
DeShawn Sims (Mich) - PPG: 15.8, RPG: 8.1, Shooting 51% from floor
Talor Battle (PSU) - PPG: 18.4, RPG: 5.6, APG: 5.4

Those are just a few. I understand Johnson is a bit of a stretch, but he has been a beast lately, and has been carrying the Boilers on his back. Lucas just completely controls a game most of the time. Who else do you think should be up there?

BTFU98923
02-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Just heard some rumors going around that Robbie Hummel got a 2nd opinion on his back, and the hairline fracture has gotten worse, which the previous doctors said wouldn't happen. They are saying he is done for the season. I don't have any links yet, but if anyone has any inside info, post it!

i seen hippos
02-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Like I said before, MSU couldn't give away the Big 10 title if they tried.:oldlol:

InspiredLebowski
02-21-2009, 06:11 AM
Like I said before, MSU couldn't give away the Big 10 title if they tried.:oldlol:

Hey it was what, a 2 point win for State last year w/o Hummel in East Lansing? I really, REALLY, want the regular season title to come down to that last game. Regardless of the most recent result, MSU is the better team, but I feel like if both are on all cylinders Purdue and MSU are far and away the two best teams in the conference. And hey, if it means sitting Hummel until March and a 2nd/3rd place finish, so be it. A broken back ain't nuttin ta **** wit.

I'm just really excited for the B11 in the coming years. Top to bottom we may have the best coaches in any conference w/ a number of great incoming classes to add to already very good teams. Just feel like we're too damn physical, which equates to low scoring and underration (new word!), injury, and a bit of shellshock come March Madness when the refs allow it to be blown wide open. That's not an excuse, just a fact. It's hard to build a team to win a conference that allows such physicality and at the same time be capable of winning a game 92-84.

TheGame414
02-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Hey it was what, a 2 point win for State last year w/o Hummel in East Lansing? I really, REALLY, want the regular season title to come down to that last game. Regardless of the most recent result, MSU is the better team, but I feel like if both are on all cylinders Purdue and MSU are far and away the two best teams in the conference. And hey, if it means sitting Hummel until March and a 2nd/3rd place finish, so be it. A broken back ain't nuttin ta **** wit.

I'm just really excited for the B11 in the coming years. Top to bottom we may have the best coaches in any conference w/ a number of great incoming classes to add to already very good teams. Just feel like we're too damn physical, which equates to low scoring and underration (new word!), injury, and a bit of shellshock come March Madness when the refs allow it to be blown wide open. That's not an excuse, just a fact. It's hard to build a team to win a conference that allows such physicality and at the same time be capable of winning a game 92-84.
I won't argue with Purdue being better than Illinois since Hummel was limited in the first game and out of the second game, but would you really say a 10-4 team that got swept by a 10-5 team is "far and away" better?

Which reminds me, I'm pretty confident Illinois is going to lose in the BTT to a team they swept this year, either OSU in the quarterfinals or Purdue in the semis.

As far as success in the NCAA tournament goes, it didn't keep Ohio State from going to the 2007 title game, Illinois and MSU from the '05 Final Four, Indiana from the '02 title game, MSU from the '99-01 Final Fours including the '00 title, OSU from the '99 Final Four, Wisconsin from the '00 Final Four, etc.

Whether you look at a 10, 15, 20-year stretch, only the ACC will have more Final Four appearances than the Big Ten.

JellyBean
02-25-2009, 05:08 PM
I won't argue with Purdue being better than Illinois since Hummel was limited in the first game and out of the second game, but would you really say a 10-4 team that got swept by a 10-5 team is "far and away" better?

Which reminds me, I'm pretty confident Illinois is going to lose in the BTT to a team they swept this year, either OSU in the quarterfinals or Purdue in the semis.
As far as success in the NCAA tournament goes, it didn't keep Ohio State from going to the 2007 title game, Illinois and MSU from the '05 Final Four, Indiana from the '02 title game, MSU from the '99-01 Final Fours including the '00 title, OSU from the '99 Final Four, Wisconsin from the '00 Final Four, etc.

Whether you look at a 10, 15, 20-year stretch, only the ACC will have more Final Four appearances than the Big Ten.

It should be interesting to see what happens. Purdue is scary. Ohio St, when focused, is still a dangerous team. I keep hoping that my home team (Minnesota) can make another magical run towards the Big Ten Tournament title, but that is a big HOPE and WISH on my part. But I can't wait until the Big Ten and Big East Tournaments!!!

i seen hippos
02-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Lucious with three straight 3's. This kid is pretty good if you've watched him this year. If Lucas comes back next year (at this point I don't see how he isn't), MSU will have the best pg situation in the nation.

i seen hippos
02-27-2009, 02:25 AM
Big 10 title is ours. At worst we tie for it now. Get to celebrate an outright title win against Purdue hopefully.

InspiredLebowski
02-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Yay 3 way conference crown! :wtf: To hell with Manny Harris and his weird ass leg sticking out 3 pointers.

TheGame414
02-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Yay 3 way conference crown!Certainly a possibility, though I don't like our chances against Michigan State if we rebound like we did against Minnesota.

If it were to happen, Illinois would be the No. 1 seed in the Big Ten tourney; we're 2-0 against Purdue and (would be) 1-1 against Michigan State, but we'd have a better overall record than MSU, which I think is the next tiebreaker.

i seen hippos
02-27-2009, 06:08 PM
C'mon, let's not get ahead of ourselves. MSU is gonna win this outright.

You guys have to win every game and we have to go 1-2. Let's assume we beat Indiana. That means we have to lose at Illinois and at home to Purdue. While both of your teams have other games where you could lose.

Posterize246
02-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Penn State (19-9, 8-7) a tourney team? Wins vs. @ #16 Illinois (damn that was ugly), @ #9 Michigan State, @ #14 Purdue.

When was the last year they were in the tourney?

Positive
03-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Penn State (19-9, 8-7) a tourney team? Wins vs. @ #16 Illinois (damn that was ugly), @ #9 Michigan State, @ #14 Purdue.

When was the last year they were in the tourney?

I wanna say like 98 or 99 when they beat the UNC team with brendan haywood and made it to the sweet 16.

TheGame414
03-01-2009, 03:22 PM
C'mon, let's not get ahead of ourselves. MSU is gonna win this outright.

You guys have to win every game and we have to go 1-2. Let's assume we beat Indiana. That means we have to lose at Illinois and at home to Purdue. While both of your teams have other games where you could lose.
Who's getting ahead of anything? I mentioned it as a possibility. And it is. Not, like I said, if Illinois rebounds like it did against Minnesota, but it is a possibility. Assuming an outright title when you have games left at Illinois and home vs. a Purdue team that killed you just last week is getting ahead of yourself.

Both a shared title and a MSU outright title are real possibilities at the moment.

i seen hippos
03-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Not anymore.

BIG TEN CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15-3 in the conference would be amazing.

BTFU98923
03-04-2009, 01:33 AM
well the regular season was decided tonight. hats off to MSU, they deserve the title. i'm pretty disappointed with how the season ended. i would have loved Purdue and MSU even going in to the game this weekend. oh well. any thoughts for the Big Ten Tourney? If it started today, it would break down something like this:

First round Byes:
#1 MSU
#2 Purdue (or Ill)
#3 Illinois (or Pur)
#4 Penn St
#5 Wisconsin

First Round Matchups:

#8 Michigan vs. #9 Northwestern
#7 Ohio State vs. #10 Iowa
#6 Minnesota vs. #11 Indiana

My prediction: Purdue vs. MSU in the championship game. Unfortunately, I will go ahead and predict MSU winning in OT.

Your guys' thoughts?

InspiredLebowski
03-07-2009, 03:04 AM
I'm a big Matt Painter fan, and I realize his coaching career is still quite young, but he's got to figure out how to attack a zone.

BTFU98923
03-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm a big Matt Painter fan, and I realize his coaching career is still quite young, but he's got to figure out how to attack a zone.
He also needs to find out how to win a game in overtime. So far at Purdue, he is something like 0-5 or 0-6 in overtime games. Funny thing is, most of the time the Boilers have the final shot in regulation too, and can't ever convert.

IlliniFan
03-09-2009, 06:37 PM
He also needs to find out how to win a game in overtime. So far at Purdue, he is something like 0-5 or 0-6 in overtime games. Funny thing is, most of the time the Boilers have the final shot in regulation too, and can't ever convert.
Having the final shot and not being able to convert is not the coach's fault.

i seen hippos
03-09-2009, 07:54 PM
It's official:

Big 10 COY: Tom Izzo

Big 10 POY: Kalin Lucas

Big 10 DPOY: Travis Walton

Suton made second team Big 10 as well.

:bowdown:

Jailblazers7
03-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm not shocked by any of those selections. Lucas is an absolute stud and I'm a little surprised he doesn't recieve more praise on national shows like college gameday.

NobleDrewAli
03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
i've got sparty making their usual unexpected izzoish elite eight - final four type run.

the mix of vets and young guys is classic sparty.

wang4three
03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
I thought Chester would win DPOY.

EDIT: Wow, BJ Mullens as 6th man of the year? Jajuan Johnson over Coble? Kinda questionable.

BTFU98923
03-10-2009, 11:42 PM
I thought Chester would win DPOY.

EDIT: Wow, BJ Mullens as 6th man of the year? Jajuan Johnson over Coble? Kinda questionable.

My guess is that Johnson was picked over Coble because he also lead the league in blocks and quite possibly was the most improved player in the league. Don't get me wrong though, Coble definitely should have been up there, or close.

BTFU98923
03-10-2009, 11:44 PM
what i don't understand is izzo for coach of the year. yeah he did a good job this year, but look at his talent level. i think dechellis should have been a no-brainer for coach of the year. with the work he has done in the past year getting penn state to their first tournament, i don't know how you would not pick him.

i seen hippos
03-10-2009, 11:53 PM
what i don't understand is izzo for coach of the year. yeah he did a good job this year, but look at his talent level. i think dechellis should have been a no-brainer for coach of the year. with the work he has done in the past year getting penn state to their first tournament, i don't know how you would not pick him.

Nah. It's like a batter going 1-4 in a baseball game. At some point you're gonna make it with the players he had the last few years.

wang4three
03-11-2009, 12:21 AM

I would've had Dechellis or Weber as COY. I'm not sure if it was a no-brainer. Izzo's team was clearly the best, but both of these other guys orchestrated great turn arounds.

Positive
03-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I would've had Dechellis or Weber as COY. I'm not sure if it was a no-brainer. Izzo's team was clearly the best, but both of these other guys orchestrated great turn arounds.

The COY was a split decision. The coaches chose Izzo and the media picked Dechellis.

link: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2009AllBigTen.pdf

wang4three
03-11-2009, 04:53 PM
The COY was a split decision. The coaches chose Izzo and the media picked Dechellis.

link: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2009AllBigTen.pdf

I'm well aware of that. That's why I used the pronoun "I".

i seen hippos
03-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Dechelllis winning is the same as Sam Mitchell winning the NBA COY.

It's basically saying "We know you really aren't close to the best coach, but we feel good that your team finally did something so here, take this award."

Positive
03-11-2009, 06:04 PM

It's basically saying "We know you really aren't close to the best coach, but we feel good that your team finally did something so here, take this award."

Sorry wang, misunderstood your post.

But yeah, I definitely agree with you here. I've watched pretty much all of PSU's games this year and I personally think Dechellis is an awful coach. If you watch their offense for long stretches of each game the offense becomes completely stagnant. They give Battle and Pringle the ball and hope something good happens, and everyone else just stands there. As great as a turnaround PSU has had this season, I think it has much more to do with the quality of players they have than the coaching. I can't remember the last time PSU has had guards the caliber of Battle and Pringle.

BTFU98923
03-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Purdue actually showed up last night. If they are somehow able to play like that the rest of the weekend, I think anyone would have trouble keeping up with them. However, I am trying not to be too optimistic, since they shot lights out last night, and they can't be expected to do that all the time. But seriously, Purdue looked scary good last night.

TheGame414
03-14-2009, 02:22 PM

How do you know he didn't do the best job of coaching basketball this year? Give him a roster full of 4- and 5-star recruits and how do you know he doesn't go 15-3 in the Big Ten?

How do you know Izzo could've got 24 wins so far out of what Bruce Weber has?

That's why COY awards are dumb, in my opinion, and I don't get worked up over them. Weber got the national COY award in 2005 when he had three brilliant guards and a roster full of guys he didn't recruit, and I'd say he did a much better coaching job in 2007- overcoming a ton of injuries and off-court troubles to get 23 wins and a tourney bid- and this year as well.

HisJoeness
03-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Who do you guys have in the Jeff George Bowl? I got Purdue.

Jailblazers7
03-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Illinois is really struggling to shoot the ball here in the first half. McCamey needs to find a way to get going if they want to win this game.

HisJoeness
03-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Illlinois can't hang with Purdue all things being equal though.

Skywalker
03-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Illinois 9:30 without scoring.

Skywalker
03-14-2009, 05:00 PM
wtf Hummel with some Reggie Miller ****

HisJoeness
03-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Purdue may be starting to peak t the right time. Weren't they a preseason Top-10?

wang4three
03-14-2009, 05:12 PM

We're missing our best defender and assist man... Things like this were bound to happen.

Skywalker
03-14-2009, 05:20 PM
will they score less than 33 or w/e it was?

wang4three
03-14-2009, 06:09 PM
will they score less than 33 or w/e it was?

Heh. We missed 13 or whatever shots to end the first half. We had good shots just didn't knock them down. They didn't really beat us as much as we beat ourselves.

Credit to them cause they looked determined and ready, but as a jumpshooting team, we're going to have our off nights.

TheGame414
03-16-2009, 03:28 AM
Chester Frazier was out, meaning all things weren't equal. Considering both teams had important players banged up or out in all three games, and considering Illinois was 2-1 against Purdue this year, and considering both teams are No. 5 seeds with identical records, I'd say Illinois can very much hang with Purdue.

InspiredLebowski
04-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Purdue's JaJaun Johnson will be back (http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=10105326) for junior season, not that there was ever a real shot he'd turn pro

Ohio State signs (http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=10094155) $110M sports media rights deal

InspiredLebowski
04-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Iowa's Jake Kelly transferring to Indiana State

Posterize246
04-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Thought it was interesting: Tim Hardaway Jr. is a sought after recruit of the Big Ten, receiving offers from both Michigan and Minnesota. 2010 prospect; 6'4" guard.

"I really like Coach Beilein," Hardaway said when asked what made Michigan attractive. "I like how they play because they run the same system we do, back door, up and down.

"Coach Beilein is just entertaining, fun to be around. He's one person you can always talk to if you're having any problems, stuff like that. I've talked to him a few times and I e-mail with him."
http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=920303

He was at Michigan's win over Duke this year so that was probably exciting for him. His dad also had good things to say about Michigan.

wang4three
04-14-2009, 12:34 AM
He talks like his father.

Posterize246
04-18-2009, 09:54 PM
I keep reading good things about Jared Sullinger who's committed to Ohio State. He's been tearing up the Boo Williams Invitational and I know he beat up on Team Final from Philly last week which is loaded with talent. Ranked #3 overall on rivals and committed to Ohio State when he was a freshman.

InspiredLebowski
04-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Purdue point guard Lewis Jackson got busted for weed and drinking underage. Four charges, possession of marijuana, possession of parphernalia, underage possession of alcohol, underage consumption.

Bummer, hopefully this doesn't result in him being booted. Of course Painter had no problem keeping Terrance Crump after he drove drunk, hit a guy, and left the scene. Seems to have a sort of one strike policy. No word on if Hummel was partaking in the sticky icky to help alleviate his back ailment.

update: Pled guilty to consumption and parphernalia. Other charges dropped. Year probation, 50 hours community service, fines. No word from Painter yet.

InspiredLebowski
04-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Big Ten/ACC Challenge schedule's out

Monday, Nov. 30th
Penn State at Virginia

Tuesday, Dec. 1st
Maryland at Indiana
Michigan State at North Carolina
Northwestern at N.C. State
Virginia Tech at Iowa
Wake Forest at Purdue

Wednesday, Dec. 2nd
Boston College at Michigan
Duke at Wisconsin
Florida State at Ohio State
Illinois at Clemson
Minnesota at Miami

IlliniFan
04-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Monday, Nov. 30th
Penn State at Virginia

Tuesday, Dec. 1st
Maryland at Indiana
Virginia Tech at Iowa
Wake Forest at Purdue

Wednesday, Dec. 2nd
Duke at Wisconsin
Illinois at Clemson
Minnesota at Miami

My very early predictions for this thing.

Lancerballer21
04-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Big Ten/ACC Challenge schedule's out

Monday, Nov. 30th
Penn State at Virginia

Tuesday, Dec. 1st
Maryland at Indiana
Virginia Tech at Iowa
Wake Forest at Purdue

Wednesday, Dec. 2nd
Duke at Wisconsin
Illinois at Clemson
Minnesota at Miami

I wanna see Ohio State play maryland cause all of my friends are maryland fans and they always trash talk me when ohio state loses and i just tell them to wait til the bucks kill them

InspiredLebowski
04-23-2009, 10:20 PM
If the B10's ever going to win it, this is the year. Penn St, Maryland, NC, Northwestern, Va Tech, Purdue, Michigan, Duke, Ohio St, Illinois, and Minnesota are my picks. So a 7-4 B10 win.

But I see Northwestern/NC State as a tossup, and if Brandon Costner comes back it could go to NC State. Clemson/Illinois is also hard to call, both bring back a lot of talent and have good classes coming in, could go either way with it being at Clemson. If the Big Ten wins they've got to win one, if not both of those games.

And Purdue/Wake is going to be great to watch.

Lamar Doom
04-24-2009, 07:14 AM
If i haven't said it already, Steve Alford can take a flying f*ck into traffic, he came in after Dr. Tom and ruined something i loved, he destroyed our program and split, I hope he never sees the march tournament again and i hope his wife leaves him and he gets the clap.

GO HAWKS

TheGame414
04-24-2009, 05:29 PM
If i haven't said it already, Steve Alford can take a flying f*ck into traffic, he came in after Dr. Tom and ruined something i loved, he destroyed our program and split, I hope he never sees the march tournament again and i hope his wife leaves him and he gets the clap.

GO HAWKS
Even though he's a horrible human being, I love him for all the same reasons you hate him (ie, ruining Iowa basketball).

Posterize246
05-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Marquis Teague (Jeff's little brother) is getting a lot of interest from the Big Ten. Seems Indiana and Louisville are his top 2 teams, with Purdue and Ohio State also in the mix. Teague's from Indiana.

Any guys hear anything about him or seen him play (InspiredLebowski maybe?)

#8 overall in 2011 and #2 overall PG

Seems to have his brother's playing style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqoCRHMPNGY)

InspiredLebowski
05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Haven't seen Teague play or anything but everything I've read about him he seems like a clone of Jeff. I know the sites list Purdue for him but they aren't really expecting to get him and aren't pushing for him very hard.

Purdue got a verbal from 9th grader Raphael Davis from Fort Wayne South (IN). Never heard of him before, but looks to be a player, had interest from IU and Illinois. Not that I put much stock in a verbal from a freshman.

Purdue and West Virginia are close to agreeing to a home and home this season and next.

InspiredLebowski
07-17-2009, 07:44 PM
I think you should all check out the "Livin Large" series at Basketbawful (http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/search/label/Livin%27%20Large). It's a very good hoops blog written by what I've learned through this series, a Purdue alum. The entries chronicle his freshman year of rooming with a Dutch import hoped to be the missing piece to the Big Dog championship contenders. They're some great posts with some of the best writing I've seen on a sports blog in a long time. I recognized who the roommate was almost immediately being a Purdue fan, I'll see if you guys can figure it out. Probably not, it was a long time ago and he never panned out. Maybe Game'll know.

InspiredLebowski
11-02-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm probably the only person on ISH who remembers him, but former Boilermaker Jonathan Uchendu was killed by a hit and run driver (http://www.wreg.com/sns-ap-ar--hitandrun-uchendu,0,610563.story). RIP.

HisJoeness
11-02-2009, 08:12 PM
If the B10's ever going to win it, this is the year. Penn St, Maryland, NC, Northwestern, Va Tech, Purdue, Michigan, Duke, Ohio St, Illinois, and Minnesota are my picks. So a 7-4 B10 win.

But I see Northwestern/NC State as a tossup, and if Brandon Costner comes back it could go to NC State. Clemson/Illinois is also hard to call, both bring back a lot of talent and have good classes coming in, could go either way with it being at Clemson. If the Big Ten wins they've got to win one, if not both of those games.

And Purdue/Wake is going to be great to watch.

Don't worry NC State will find a way to lose. It is a Sidney Lowe coached team after all.

And how scared should I be of IU as a UMD fan?

TheGame414
11-02-2009, 09:58 PM
My off-the-top-of-the-head Big Ten picks this year (if I forgot someone obvious, please yell at me.):

1ST TEAM:

Kalin Lucas, Michigan State
William Buford, Ohio State
Demetri McCamey, Illinois
Evan Turner, Ohio State
Jujuan Johnson, Purdue

(Yes, I know that everyone from last year's 1st-team returns, and this isn't the same guys. I see Johnson emerging as a lottery pick this year. I see a 197-pound McCamey that's been pushed to the brink by D.J. Richardson being a much better player than the lazy 219-pounder he's been the last two years, and that guy was already pretty good. And I think Buford's going to be the best scorer in the conference. Might not be the leading scorer because of Evan Turner's usage rate, but the best.)

2nd team:

Talor Battle, Penn State
Manny Harris, Michigan
E'Twaun Moore, Purdue
Raymar Morgan, Michigan State
Deshawn Sims, Michigan

(Battle may have been as good as anyone in the conference last year, but for some reason I see him leveling off. Harris looked like the best player in the Big Ten in preconference but tailed off in conference play. I don't get how Michigan can essentially be a two-man team surrounded by a buch of average role players, with neither guy clearly being one of the five best in the conference- yes, you can argue both are, but it isn't crystal clear that either is- and some consider that to be a Top 10-15 team in the nation. They're good. Not that good.)

3rd team:

Lawrence Westbrook, Minnesota
D.J. Richardson, Illinois
Royce White, Minnesota
Mike Davis, Illinois
Robbie Hummel, Purdue

(Richardson's offense is further along than people realized; he could be one of the nation's best freshman guards. Royce White could be the best power forward in the conference by midseason. They may not have been McDonald's All-Americans but they probably should've been. This conference is so loaded that Robbie Hummel was last year's preseason POY and it can legitimately be argued that there are 10-12 better players. Of course, you could still argue him for preseason POY consideration because Purdue was clearly way better with him on the floor last year. Mike Davis is also capable of making a huge leap and being a POY candidate, but the guards this year are more likely to penetrate and get to the rim/get fouled, not dish off, so his numbers may not take off greatly.)

HONORABLE MENTION: Kevin Coble, Northwestern; Damian Johnson, Minnesota; Trevon Hughes, Wisconsin; Verdell Jones, Indiana; Mike Tisdale, Illinois; Durrell Summers, MSU; Jon Diebler, OSU; David Lighty, OSU; Delvon Roe, MSU; Al Nolen, Minnesota; Ralph Sampson III/Colten Iverson, Minnesota (to steal an idea from Bill Simmons, they need to be considered as a pair, and Cotalph Sampserson III is a helluva center); Juice Thompson, Northwestern; Christian Watford, Indiana; Chris Allen, MSU; Anthony Tucker, Iowa

REASON I INCLUDED AN IOWA PLAYER:

I don't know. But it's funny, right?

ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM:

Brandon Paul, Illinois
Maurice Creek, Indiana
Christian Watford, Indiana
Royce White, Minnesota

(Richardson could be as good as McCamey for Illinois by midseason, and Paul will be instant offense off the bench....IF he doesn't push Alex Legion out of a starting spot. Creek and Watford will be given every opportunity to be stars right away. White is the highest-rated Big Ten freshman and could be an absolute monster of a college player.)

ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM:

Al Nolen, Minnesota
Chris Kramer, Purdue
Damian Johnson, Minnesota
Jujuan Johnson, Purdue

(I was tempted to just say "Team, Minnesota." They're going to be monsters defensively.)

PLAYER OF THE YEAR:

Evan Turner, OSU. I know Kalin Lucas is the returning winner because he was the best player on the best team, but that doesn't mean I agreed with it last year either. Turner is the best player in the conference and a classic mismatch. He can play every position except center and is a possible lottery pick.

FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR:

D.J. Richardson, in a slight nod over Royce White. Could go either way, and Christian Watford may have something to say about it too. White is an overwhelming specimen but Richardson's game is more advanced. Plus, he's likely to play close to 30 minutes a game as a freshman, whereas White's team is a little bit deeper in the frontcourt than Illinois is in the backcourt.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR:

Damian Johnson, Minnesota. I don't know if anyone in college basketball averaged two blocks and two steals last year, but Johnson came damn close with 2.0 blocks and 1.9 steals a game. He has the quickness to defend guards and the height/length at 6'7" to defend big men. He can roam in the paint, helping Sampserson protect the rim, he can play a Pippen-like free safety. I can't imagine there being too many better overall defenders in college basketball and he's going to lead one of the best team defenses in college basketball.

PREDICTED BIG TEN STANDINGS, WITH PRESEASON NATIONAL RANK (from when I did my Top 25 that I never finished the last five of months ago in parentheses):

1a. Michigan State (3), 14-4
1b. Purdue (6), 14-4
3a. Minnesota (13), 12-6
3b. Illinois (17), 12-6
5a. Ohio State (19), 10-8
5b. Michigan (21), 10-8
7. Wisconsin, 8-10
8. Northwestern, 7-11
9. Penn State, 6-12
10. Indiana, 5-13
11. Iowa, 1-17

Thewayitwas
11-08-2009, 10:15 PM
A lot of hard work and analyses done on that post. Not sure I agree with everything, but I certainly respect the work and thought that went into it. Well done!!:applause:

BTFU98923
11-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm probably the only person on ISH who remembers him, but former Boilermaker Jonathan Uchendu was killed by a hit and run driver (http://www.wreg.com/sns-ap-ar--hitandrun-uchendu,0,610563.story). RIP.
big purdue fan here, and that is terrible, terrible news.

InspiredLebowski
11-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Purdue PG Lewis Jackson is out indefinitely (http://www.jconline.com/article/20091117/NEWS0901/91117025), potentially for the year, with a surgically repaired broken foot. He was fairly TO prone last year but that's to be expected from a true frosh starting 30 games in a major conference. At least it happened so early he can maybe redshirt. More minutes for Kelsey Barlow.

Lancerballer21
11-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Can't wait to see the buckeyes play UNC tonight. Im hoping it will e a good game.

TheGame414
11-21-2009, 12:02 AM
A really weird contrast last night in the OSU/UNC game. Ohio State is playing four wings and a non-scoring big man at all times while UNC has too many bigs and not nearly enough perimeter players who can make plays. If you could make trades in college basketball, both teams would be Final Four contenders if they made a William Buford for Ed Davis trade.

InspiredLebowski
11-22-2009, 12:12 PM
IU lost to Boston University. I love it.

Posterize246
11-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Dallas Lauderdale from Ohio State picked the wrong sport. That guy is enormous. Put some pads on!

twolvesfan
11-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Minnesota is looking good so far. Took out Butler without Rodney Williams (3 minutes) royce white or trevor mbakwe. Our team should really take off when we get mbakwe and white back:rockon:

IlliniFan
11-28-2009, 03:19 AM
What a terrible day for the Big Ten..

InspiredLebowski
11-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Indeed. Fuel for the "Little 10 sucks!" fire. At least all the losses were at neutral sites to teams that're for the most part better than their meaningless preseason rankings. Can't wait for the B10/ACC Challenge win.

twolvesfan
11-28-2009, 10:54 AM
:(

InspiredLebowski
11-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Happened a few weeks ago but Northwestern's Kevin Coble's out for the year with foot surgery. Big hit to their NCAA hopes, hopefully Bill Carmody still gets some recognition for being a very good coach.

Posterize246
11-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Just me or is Raymar Morgan one of the most inconsistent scorers in all of college basketball?

Lancerballer21
11-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Glad to see we beat California, and a couple of days ago evan turner had his second triple double of the season. Like the Game said, we have some of the biggest guards in college basketball but we have no inside presence. I have a feeling this year will be like the year before we got Oden, Conely, and Cook. We had tons of potential but no size and we got extremely out rebounded by Georgetown and we lost in the tourney. We have some size Zisis Sarikopoulos 7' sophmore but he sucks.

IlliniFan
12-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Big Ten 1 - ACC 0

Nice job by Penn State. Talor Battle is a beast. He has killed Illinois every time Penn State plays us. Could be ugly this year with the way our defense looks.

Mark87
12-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Looking forward to the game tonight

InspiredLebowski
12-03-2009, 12:19 AM
FINALLY a challenge win. I really admire Wisconsin and Bo Ryan.

wang4three
12-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Big 10 FTW!!!

Lancerballer21
12-03-2009, 05:23 PM
FINALLY a challenge win. I really admire Wisconsin and Bo Ryan.

Yeah finally. Now my ACC friends will shut up about the Acc being better. Now all i need is Ohio State to beat Maryland so that all my maryland friends will shut up

TheGame414
12-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah finally. Now my ACC friends will shut up about the Acc being better. Now all i need is Ohio State to beat Maryland so that all my maryland friends will shut up
Well, if they're smart, they'd respond by saying, "This series has been played 11 times and the ACC has won it 10. There have been 108 total Challenge games and the ACC has won 67 of them."

So unless you have dumb friends I wouldn't brag too much. Enjoy that we finally won one, but don't go overboard.

Lancerballer21
12-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Well, if they're smart, they'd respond by saying, "This series has been played 11 times and the ACC has won it 10. There have been 108 total Challenge games and the ACC has won 67 of them."

So unless you have dumb friends I wouldn't brag too much. Enjoy that we finally won one, but don't go overboard.

Well some of my friends are pretty dumb. i could tell them Bird and Magic played for Ohio state and they would probably believe me. But some of my other friends would know that wasn't true. But i did get my good bragging (especially to my friend who likes Clemson)

InspiredLebowski
12-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Big time Minnesota recruit Royce White quits (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4750958). He'd been under investigation for a robbery on campus and said it was "too stressful," via YouTube. Says he's not planning on transferring.

Edit: link fixed

Posterize246
12-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Big time Minnesota recruit Royce White quits (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/%22This%20opportunity%20fulfills%20one%20of%20my%2 0professional%20goals%20to%20expand%20my%20knowled ge%20and%20experience%20in%20the%20area%20of%20NFL %20team%20management,%20branding%20and%20operation s,%22%20Dunn%20said.%20%22I%20am%20excited%20to%20 be%20back%20as%20part%20of%20the%20Falcons%20team% 20and,%20in%20particular,%20to%20work%20with%20Mr. %20Blank.%22). He'd been under investigation for a robbery on campus and said it was "too stressful," via YouTube. Says he's not planning on transferring.
link doesn't work but wtf?

IlliniFan
12-17-2009, 04:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5K9v6cgKME

That's the youtube video. He starts talking some time after the 3 minute mark.

twolvesfan
12-19-2009, 08:17 PM
this blows and is a huge hit to the program, hopefully cory joseph will still commit here

InspiredLebowski
12-29-2009, 10:57 AM
IU loses stud freshman Maurice Creek for the year with a broken knee (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4778061).

twolvesfan
12-29-2009, 11:18 AM
IU loses stud freshman Maurice Creek for the year with a broken knee (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4778061).
damn, he was fun to watch

Posterize246
01-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Did I just completely overrate Talor Battle going into this season? He's really disappointing me.

ILLsmak
01-13-2010, 03:32 PM
He's more of an NBA guy than a college guy. Remember, his team is absolute garbage. Wait til he has some talent. Crazy if he slips to 2nd round because of how much Penn St sucks.

-Smak

TheGame414
01-13-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't think Battle ever gets an NBA paycheck. How exactly is he more of an NBA guy? He's not nearly strong enough, needs the ball in his hands and isn't a pure shooter.

Lancerballer21
01-18-2010, 03:48 PM
I love Ohio State getting 2 big wins over ranked Purdue(6) and Wisconsin(16) this past week. Man getting evan turner back has really helped

BTFU98923
01-20-2010, 12:54 AM
I love Ohio State getting 2 big wins over ranked Purdue(6) and Wisconsin(16) this past week. Man getting evan turner back has really helped
Evan Turner is scary good. Not only as a player, but how he rubs off on the rest of the team.

GOBB
01-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Seriously I'm starting to like Evan Turner. Move over wang, let me on this wagon.

Lancerballer21
01-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Evan Turner is scary good. Not only as a player, but how he rubs off on the rest of the team.

Yea and he really steps up in the big games. Just look at his performance against Purdue (not trying to rub it in BTFU just saying) 32 and 9, just what we needed to win.

On a side note i am impressed at his willingness to attack the basket and go up for dunks after that terrifying back injury aganist Eastern Michigan. Im thinking he is gonna be a great NBA player

Maize'N'Blue
01-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Yea and he really steps up in the big games. Just look at his performance against Purdue (not trying to rub it in BTFU just saying) 32 and 9, just what we needed to win.

On a side note i am impressed at his willingness to attack the basket and go up for dunks after that terrifying back injury aganist Eastern Michigan. Im thinking he is gonna be a great NBA player

I don't think he will ever be an elite pro. He is no doubt amazing and probably top 5 in college, but I don't know how great he will be at the next level. If he could improve his shot I think he would be amazing though.

Lancerballer21
01-24-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't think he will ever be an elite pro. He is no doubt amazing and probably top 5 in college, but I don't know how great he will be at the next level. If he could improve his shot I think he would be amazing though.

The reason i said i think he is gonna be a great pro is his versatility. After last season thad matta wanted him to play point guard (which he has never done before) and he is playing tremendously. Sure he isn't a true point guard but he is stepping up where his team needs him to. I think that has to be very valuable when NBA scouts are looking at him.

Black Joker
01-24-2010, 12:36 PM
disappointing loss by OSU to WVU yesterday. thought we'd have it with the lead going into half-time

BTFU98923
01-26-2010, 02:46 AM

no he was the complete story in the 2nd half of that game, and purdue just couldn't stop him. i can't wait to face OSU again....hopefully purdue puts together a complete game

Lancerballer21
01-26-2010, 09:32 PM
no he was the complete story in the 2nd half of that game, and purdue just couldn't stop him. i can't wait to face OSU again....hopefully purdue puts together a complete game

I felt flashbacks of the OSU-Purdue game while i was watching the WVU game. Tale of two halves but this time ohio state was the losing team. At least we are still in the top 25 though.

TheGame414
02-01-2010, 11:00 PM
The reason i said i think he is gonna be a great pro is his versatility. After last season thad matta wanted him to play point guard (which he has never done before) and he is playing tremendously. Sure he isn't a true point guard but he is stepping up where his team needs him to. I think that has to be very valuable when NBA scouts are looking at him.
Not true. There's a reason he's made a seamless transition to the point: that's what he originally was as a kid. When they were younger, Demetri McCamey was the burly big man and Evan Turner, who hit a big growth spurt in high school, was the point guard. Turner kept growing and McCamey stopped growing, and they eventually flipped roles with DMac moving to the point and Turner becoming an inside-out forward.

So yes, he's versatile, but playing the point isn't new to him. He was one by nature and had McCamey not been one of the country's top point guard prospects he may have never given up the role even as he grew.

souza
02-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Weekly NCAA Power Rankings as of February 1st

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2654057/ncaa_basketball_power_rankings_february.html?cat=9

Lancerballer21
02-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Not true. There's a reason he's made a seamless transition to the point: that's what he originally was as a kid. When they were younger, Demetri McCamey was the burly big man and Evan Turner, who hit a big growth spurt in high school, was the point guard. Turner kept growing and McCamey stopped growing, and they eventually flipped roles with DMac moving to the point and Turner becoming an inside-out forward.

So yes, he's versatile, but playing the point isn't new to him. He was one by nature and had McCamey not been one of the country's top point guard prospects he may have never given up the role even as he grew.

Oh i did not know that... i feel kind of dumb now...

TheGame414
02-03-2010, 10:30 PM
You shouldn't. Had I not followed their recruitments so closely- considering at one point it looked like a lock that both McCamey and Turner were coming to Illinois; in fact, I was floored by his commit to OSU because I was almost sure he was going to commit to Illinois sometime that week- I may not have known that, either. But it is interesting, though, that McCamey is the one that had to grown into and learn the point guard position, because he wasn't one by nature.

There have been national TV analysts that have commented on Turner's play at the point despite supposedly never having played it before, so if guys that are payed to talk about it are making the same point you shouldn't feel dumb.

Lancerballer21
02-06-2010, 11:38 AM
You shouldn't. Had I not followed their recruitments so closely- considering at one point it looked like a lock that both McCamey and Turner were coming to Illinois; in fact, I was floored by his commit to OSU because I was almost sure he was going to commit to Illinois sometime that week- I may not have known that, either. But it is interesting, though, that McCamey is the one that had to grown into and learn the point guard position, because he wasn't one by nature.

There have been national TV analysts that have commented on Turner's play at the point despite supposedly never having played it before, so if guys that are payed to talk about it are making the same point you shouldn't feel dumb.

Yeah gut i pride myself in knowing more about Ohio State bball than most of my friends know about all of college basketball... i should have known that

Maize'N'Blue
02-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Michigan: The best basketball team ever?

Lancerballer21
02-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Michigan: The best basketball team ever?

There are some things that u cant even joke about:no: :no: :no:

Black Joker
02-07-2010, 06:21 PM
great performance by Turner today in the win against the hawkeyes

Maize'N'Blue
02-07-2010, 08:52 PM
There are some things that u cant even joke about:no: :no: :no:

That's true. Oh well there's always next year and possibly Jon Horford and Trey Zeigler.

InspiredLebowski
03-08-2010, 11:24 PM
coach's ballot All Conference awards are in

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/sports/mbasketball/story.asp?list_id=46&story_id=3385623

1st team:
Demetri McCamey
Kalin Lucas
Evan Turner
E'Twuan Moore
Robbie Hummel

2nd team:
Deshawn Sims
John Shurna
Talor Battle
JaJaun Johnson
Trevon Hughes

3rd team:
Manny Harris
Draymond Green
Raymar Morgan
William Buford
Jason Bohannon

POY: Evan Turner
COY: Matt Painter
DPOY: Chris Kramer
6th man (didn't even know this award existed): Draymond Green
Frosh of the year: DJ Richardson

All Defense:
Jeremy Nash
Dallas Lauderdale
JaJuan Johnson
Chris Kramer
Trevon Hughes

All Freshmen:
DJ Richardson
Christian Watford
Eric May
Kelsay Barlow
Drew Crawford

Lancerballer21
03-09-2010, 07:42 PM
coach's ballot All Conference awards are in

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/sports/mbasketball/story.asp?list_id=46&story_id=3385623

1st team:
Demetri McCamey
Kalin Lucas
Evan Turner
E'Twuan Moore
Robbie Hummel

2nd team:
Deshawn Sims
John Shurna
Talor Battle
JaJaun Johnson
Trevon Hughes

3rd team:
Manny Harris
Draymond Green
Raymar Morgan
William Buford
Jason Bohannon

POY: Evan Turner
COY: Matt Painter
DPOY: Chris Kramer
6th man (didn't even know this award existed): Draymond Green
Frosh of the year: DJ Richardson

All Defense:
Jeremy Nash
Dallas Lauderdale
JaJuan Johnson
Chris Kramer
Trevon Hughes

All Freshmen:
DJ Richardson
Christian Watford
Eric May
Kelsay Barlow
Drew Crawford

Great to see three buckeyes getting on there, but really no surprises here

Maize'N'Blue
03-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Wow manny dropped from 1st team last year to 3rd team this year, not surprising though he's had a rough year.

Also I think Big Ten fans would find this a good read.
http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-basketball/his-brothers-keeper-michigan-forward-deshawn-sims-plays-for-his-brother-and-his-family/

InspiredLebowski
07-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Northwestern's Kevin Coble's left the team

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Kevin-Coble-shocks-Northwestern-leaves-the-team?urn=ncaab-258610

His rehab from foot surgery doesn't seem to have had any setbacks or anything. Just doesn't want to play anymore I guess. Can't make Bill Carmody very happy, pretty odd timing.

Roy Munson
07-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Northwestern's Kevin Coble's left the team

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Kevin-Coble-shocks-Northwestern-leaves-the-team?urn=ncaab-258610

His rehab from foot surgery doesn't seem to have had any setbacks or anything. Just doesn't want to play anymore I guess. Can't make Bill Carmody very happy, pretty odd timing.

Poor Northwestern might never make the tourney. This was supposed to be their year.

wang4three
07-28-2010, 07:14 PM
That's a shame. I actually liked watching Coble play. I thought he was underrated.

InspiredLebowski
08-31-2010, 07:21 AM
If E'Twaun Moore's averages hold up his senior season he'll be the second Big Ten player in history with 2000 points, 500 boards , and 400 assists in his career. The other's Steve Smith.

InspiredLebowski
09-01-2010, 02:05 PM
ESPN says (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5519832) the conference is splitting into two divisions for 2011

Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Minnesota make one division

Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois makes the other

In men's basketball, according to sources, the Big Ten is expected to play a 16-game conference schedule by taking a model similar to those used by the Big 12 and the Southeastern Conference. In those leagues, teams play each division opponent twice and then single games -- three at home and three on the road -- against teams in the opposing division.

However, the Big Ten has not had complaints with its current 18-game conference schedule and could stick with that format.
Michigan State's going to dominate their division every single year in hoops. At least Purdue and IU are playing twice every year again.

Snoop_Cat
09-01-2010, 03:07 PM
ESPN says (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5519832) the conference is splitting into two divisions for 2011

Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Minnesota make one division

Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois makes the other

Michigan State's going to dominate their division every single year in hoops. At least Purdue and IU are playing twice every year again.

Well as far as football goes, I'm not against the division alignments.

TheGame414
09-01-2010, 08:24 PM
As far as I can tell, it's merely speculation that the Big Ten would redo its basketball schedule like the SEC and Big XII do it, with home-and-aways with your football division and home-and-home alternating years with the other division.

Aesthetically it makes the most sense, I suppose, but I'm not convinced they'll shorten the conference schedule. Everyone seems to like it at 18 games.

InspiredLebowski
09-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Katz jumped the gun (surprise).

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=9589

[QUOTE]Delany said the divisions do not apply to basketball, and that he does

JerrySteakhouse
09-02-2010, 12:59 AM
My dude Devoe Joseph, breakout year for Minnesota. Book it.

JellyBean
02-12-2011, 10:04 PM
What in the world is Bo Ryan's secret? This cat is underrated as a coach. Every year, has has the Badgers near the top of the Big Ten. And today, the Badgers beat Ohio St. Wow.

Congrats, Wisconsin :bowdown:

From a Gophers fan.

KG215
02-13-2011, 01:22 AM
What in the world is Bo Ryan's secret?

He recruits "basketball" players. I know this is going to come off as racist, but it's not intended to be that way. Obviously, anytime you watch Wisconsin they've got 3 or 4 white guys on the court. Meaning they aren't going to beat anybody by "out-athleting" them Ryan's teams buy into his system of slowing the game way down, running the shot clock down under 10 second almost every possession, and getting a good shot. They also almost always have at least four players on the court that shoot the three ball and sometimes five. This year, too, they are an extremely good FT shooting team. I don't know the exact number but I know their team FT% is over 80.