PDA

View Full Version : Steve Carrell Is Not Funny

Interminator
06-22-2008, 11:51 AM
I can't even force myself to watch a full episode of The Office,although there are a lot of people I know who like the show and watch it whenever it's on.

Other than Anchorman and 40 Year Old Virgin,he's not seemed even slightly funny and I think people force themselves to laugh at him in the movies he's been in.

I've went to see both Evan Almighty and Dan In Real Life,and both were bad and it seemed like the writers used his role in 40 Year Old Virgin as an inspirtation for some of the scenes where he channeled the character to remind you of his role in that movie.

He's not even funny in his interviews and people seem to force themselves to laugh at him.Maybe it's because his comedy is so dry.

Should I pay $10 to see Get Smart?

Black Joker
06-22-2008, 11:52 AM
well... if you find steve carrell not funny, i'm not sure why you would go see a comedy staring him.

SoCalMike
06-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Actually, he grates on me too... I don't watch his movies, but once in a while, I am "forced" to go see him with my wife... I just don't find him funny and think he's more irritating. I know I am a minority but I do agree with the OP.

:pimp:

Interminator
06-22-2008, 11:56 AM
well... if you find steve carrell not funny, i'm not sure why you would go see a comedy staring him.
Because 40 Year Old Virgin is one of my 3 favorite movies of All-Time,I went to see Evan Almighty and Dan In Real Life off of the fact that he was in both movies.

Both sucked,but I hoped they wouldn't.

I'm debating if it's even worth seeing Get Smart.

I might see it today.

embersyc
06-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Both him and Steve Colbert were at their peak on The Daily Show, both have fallen off considerably since.

Interminator
06-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Actually, he grates on me too... I don't watch his movies, but once in a while, I am "forced" to go see him with my wife... I just don't find him funny and think he's more irritating. I know I am a minority but I do agree with the OP.

:pimp:
Yeah he really doesn't seem like a funny guy in person.

Jim Carrey & Chris Tucker are annoying to me in their films but you can tell they're probably some very funny people to be around.

Interminator
06-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Both him and Steve Colbert were at their peak on The Daily Show, both have fallen off considerably since.
Wow.

Strangely enough Stephen Colbert makes me laugh sometimes,but I find Keith Olbermann funnier than Colbert yet Olbermann isn't a comedian.:confusedshrug:

DeuceWallaces
06-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Evan Almighty is terrible, doesn't matter who the actor. Dan in Real Life was received well.

Miller Time
06-22-2008, 12:09 PM
I think Carrell is funny and I love the office.

But... Evan almighty sucked and I have not seen Dan in real life.

I cant understand how you can hate office?

Interminator
06-22-2008, 12:13 PM
I think Carrell is funny and I love the office.

But... Evan almighty sucked and I have not seen Dan in real life.

I cant understand how you can hate office?
Not my type of comedy I guess,I'd rather watch My Name Is Earl.:confusedshrug:

skan72
06-22-2008, 12:52 PM

I hope you are thinking peak comically. Because in pretty much any other aspect of celebrity he is at his peak at the moment.

embersyc
06-22-2008, 12:54 PM
I hope you are thinking peak comically. Because in pretty much any other aspect of celebrity he is at his peak at the moment.

Of course I meant comically. :wtf:

CakeorDeath
06-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Maybe this is one of those things that I just don't get, but I have never once laughed while watching anything Steve Carrell is in, except when he was on the Daily Show.

People repeatedly put the Office in their lists of the top tv comedies of all time, and I don't think it is even remotely funny. People also frequently put the 40 year old virgin in their top ten lists of their favorite films, and I could never see the humor in it.

No disrespect if you like those things, but I just don't get it. Don't get Will Ferrell, either.

fatboy11
06-22-2008, 01:18 PM
I can understand thinking Carrell is overrated because I definitely do. But the ****ing Office is gold, man. If you don't get that, you're either very young and don't know a damn thing about the real world/working in an office or you just don't have a very good sense of humor. I could even understand thinking the show was a little overrated, but to say that you can't get through an entire episode tells me a lot about where you're at as far as sense of humor goes.

fatboy11
06-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Not my type of comedy I guess,I'd rather watch My Name Is Earl.:confusedshrug:
Disregard my previous post.

This explains everything.

Penny37
06-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Maybe this is one of those things that I just don't get, but I have never once laughed while watching anything Steve Carrell is in, except when he was on the Daily Show.

People repeatedly put the Office in their lists of the top tv comedies of all time, and I don't think it is even remotely funny. People also frequently put the 40 year old virgin in their top ten lists of their favorite films, and I could never see the humor in it.

No disrespect if you like those things, but I just don't get it. Don't get Will Ferrell, either.
The Office is one of those shows that has witty comedy.
Similar to Arrested Development.
Guess you have to understand the jokes.

KeylessEntry
06-22-2008, 01:21 PM
I think you guys are crazy, the office is hilarious. Not just because of Steve Carrell, but the rest of the cast is very good as well.

I can understand the dislike of evan almighty though, I heard that movie sucked.

fatboy11
06-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Guess you have to understand the jokes.Yes. Exactly.

It's not like Married with Children or the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

It's not for some, but if you've worked in the real world, it hits so many chords, IMO. I mean, I go through stuff like that EVERY day. That's why that show is hilarious to me. And Arrested Development.....oh man. I need to stop before I start tearing up. Or bust out my AD DVDs. One or the either.

Interminator
06-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Arrested Development was funny and I could understand the jokes.

Fatboy11-Nope,I've yet to work in an office type setting and yeah im more amused by dark comedies than dry comedy.

CakeorDeath
06-22-2008, 01:31 PM

Yes. Exactly.

It's not like Married with Children or the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Wow, I guess I'm smart enough to have a master's degree but still too stupid to get the office.

Apparently, all the academic credentials in the world mean nothing if you don't find Steve Carell funny. If you don't like the office, then you're just not ready (or have never contributed to) the real world, is that right?

Pretty elitist of you both. I love Arrested Development, by the way.

Interminator
06-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Wow, I guess I'm smart enough to have a master's degree but still too stupid to get the office.

Apparently, all the academic credentials in the world mean nothing if you don't find Steve Carell funny. If you don't like the office, then you're just not ready (or have never contributed to) the real world, is that right?

Intelligence doesn't have a dirrect correlation with taste.

CakeorDeath
06-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Intelligence doesn't have a dirrect correlation with taste.

Agreed, but it seems like some posters in this thread don't understand that.

Interminator
06-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Agreed, but it seems like some posters in this thread don't understand that.
I've stopped expecting too much out of people's opinions on the Internet.

CakeorDeath
06-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Haha, good point.

Kumo
06-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I saw get smart, and it was a pretty good movie. There were a lot of little funny things to keep you engaged, and the story was pretty good aswell. They didn't almost catch the bad guy right into the movie, then you get strung along for another hour, but they found clues and stuff like that. I reccomend you go see it.

fatboy11
06-22-2008, 01:52 PM

Pretty elitist of you both. I love Arrested Development, by the way.No one said anything about intelligence. Some of the smartest people I know have absolutely no sense of humor whatsoever. I'm not saying that you don't, but I'm just pointing out that intelligence has nothing to do with it because I'm of average intelligence myself.

You're completely putting words in my mouth so I don't know what else to say. If you worked in an office environment, you're probably going to find The Office funny or you really don't have a witty sense of humor. Doesn't mean you're stupid or that you don't have a sense of humor at all.

CakeorDeath
06-22-2008, 01:56 PM
No one said anything about intelligence. Some of the smartest people I know have absolutely no sense of humor whatsoever. I'm not saying that you don't, but I'm just pointing out that intelligence has nothing to do with it because I'm of average intelligence myself.

You're completely putting words in my mouth so I don't know what else to say. If you worked in an office environment, you're probably going to find The Office funny or you really don't have a witty sense of humor. Doesn't mean you're stupid or that you don't have a sense of humor at all.

More directed at the other poster's comments than yours. Apologies for overreating, though.

johndeeregreen
06-22-2008, 01:59 PM
His character in "The Office" is completely overboard. I find everybody else on the show to be hilarious but him.

fatboy11
06-22-2008, 02:01 PM
More directed at the other poster's comments than yours. Apologies for overreating, though.
No biggie. I could see where I was coming across that way.

But I really can't see how people don't think The Office is funny. People don't, though. :confusedshrug: It's one of the few comedies I can watch.

Interminator
06-22-2008, 02:01 PM
I saw get smart, and it was a pretty good movie. There were a lot of little funny things to keep you engaged, and the story was pretty good aswell. They didn't almost catch the bad guy right into the movie, then you get strung along for another hour, but they found clues and stuff like that. I reccomend you go see it.
Im reading reviews for it now,I'll save the $10 and order a sub and onion rings while I stream it online.

fatboy11
06-22-2008, 02:02 PM
His character in "The Office" is completely overboard. I find everybody else on the show to be hilarious but him.I agree and disagree. I love his character, but he is over the top. I don't mind, though. I still think it's ****ing hilarious. It's Jim that I really don't think is funny. And Ryan.

Interminator
06-22-2008, 02:02 PM
No biggie. I could see where I was coming across that way.

But I really can't see how people don't think The Office is funny. People don't, though. :confusedshrug: It's one of the few comedies I can watch.
Do you find Robot Chicken funny?

fatboy11
06-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Do you find Robot Chicken funny?
I actually have never seen that show.

Interminator
06-22-2008, 02:06 PM
I actually have never seen that show.
Do you find Family Guy(Seasons 4 & 5) Funny?

fatboy11
06-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Do you find Family Guy(Seasons 4 & 5) Funny?Very.

Interminator
06-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Very.
Proves A Point.:cheers:

fatboy11
06-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Proves A Point.:cheers:What do you mean?

Interminator
06-22-2008, 02:12 PM
What do you mean?
That it has to due with general taste.

Because I find a simple show like Earl funny but I can't stand the old new episodes of Family Guy although most people say those were the peak seasons of the show.

fatboy11
06-22-2008, 02:14 PM
That it has to due with general taste.

Because I find a simple show like Earl funny but I can't stand the old new episodes of Family Guy although most people say those were the peak seasons of the show.I just find Family Guy funny in general. I wouldn't know which episodes were from which seasons, though.

mavsfan4zindagi
06-22-2008, 02:15 PM
The Office is hysterical and probably my favorite show right now. Steve is pretty damn funny in it as well as 40 year old. Outside of that though he sucks. Evan Almighty and that Dad movie were horrible and I'd probably bet the Get Smart one will suck as well.

Kebab Stall
06-22-2008, 02:19 PM
I think Brick Tamland was his funniest role. Though I haven't seen the American version of The Office, so I can't comment on that.

brwnman
06-22-2008, 06:01 PM

Mike Myers, Steve Carrell are both not funny, they both overact and they both suck. 40 year old virgin really sucked for me, except for a couple of parts.

As far as the office, it sucks. I get the jokes, but they're corny. It does have some jokes that are funny, but most of the time, they try to force the joke down your throat, not funny. Arrested Development is a bit more funny than that, I wouldn't Tivo is or anything, but if nothing else is coming on, I don't mind watching it...

dnyk1337
06-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Office... not that funny at all.
40 YOV... no...
Anchorman... no...
Family Guy... worst show ever...

Comedy has taken a bad turn the last decade. It's like we were depending on Seinfeld. Now that it's gone, so is comedy.

90s was a good era. Had so many great shows.

Seinfeld
Simpsons
Wayans Bros
Fresh Prince

All prime examples of real comedy.

B-Low
06-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Proves A Point.:cheers:

Coming from the guy who paid money to see the Love Guru? :oldlol:

brwnman
06-22-2008, 06:42 PM

that show is just too funny...

B-Low
06-22-2008, 06:46 PM
I agree...family guy is hilarious.

Are the plots good? Not at all. Is the humor random? Yep. Does it get old sometimes? Yep. Can it be compared to Simpsons/South Park? No chance in hell. But is it funny? Hell yeah.

brwnman
06-22-2008, 06:49 PM
I agree...family guy is hilarious.

Are the plots good? Not at all. Is the humor random? Yep. Does it get old sometimes? Yep. Can it be compared to Simpsons/South Park? No chance in hell. But is it funny? Hell yeah.

I don't like South Park much, and Simpson is a different type of comedy, I enjoy it. But those hysterical laughters only come from Family Guy, the show has more memorable moments, love it...

2 Wicked
06-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I could easily beat Steve Carrell's ass. No comp, son. No comp.

B-Low
06-22-2008, 07:06 PM
You could easily beat up a small, middle aged comedian. Congrats lol

2 Wicked
06-22-2008, 07:15 PM
What, do you not believe? You think I can no do it?

Thorpesaurous
06-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I think he's better when he's not the lead. His bit, goofy character spots, like in Anchorman, are almost always funny. Like his small bit in Bruce Almighty.
Even The 40 Year Old Virgin, he's more of the maguffin for the laughs, rather being the initiator, which is somewhat true in The Office as well.

I love The Office by the way, but it took me a little time to get into it. When it first came out, I tried to watch it, and it actually made me a little uncomfortable. It sort of feeds off of awkwardness, and awkward situations, and it took me some time to get over those things.

Thorpesaurous
06-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Also, he was great on The Daily Show. His Produce Pete (I think that's what they called them) segments killed me all the time.

InspiredLebowski
06-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I like him, but he is reaching the point of over-saturation, Will Ferrell style. He's not an actor, so he's playing the same character in all his stuff and it's starting to get stale.

Colbert on the other hand, is the man. His O'Reilly characterization is picture perfect.

i seen hippos
06-22-2008, 08:04 PM
I like The Office even though I don't LOL very much. I don't need to find something hilarious to love it. I appreciate something that is on point. A big laugh here or there is welcomed, but not needed.

NoGunzJustSkillz
06-22-2008, 08:09 PM
I've stopped expecting too much out of people's opinions on the Internet.

straight ownage.

fatboy11
06-22-2008, 08:22 PM
I love The Office by the way, but it took me a little time to get into it. When it first came out, I tried to watch it, and it actually made me a little uncomfortable. It sort of feeds off of awkwardness, and awkward situations, and it took me some time to get over those things.Which is why I ****ing love it.

picc84
06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Get Smart was not funny at all.

The original get smart show was funny. Hilarious even. Anchorman, 40 yr old, all funny.

This movie? Sucked. The only redeemable quality about it was that I didnt know how hot Anne Hathaway was and now I do. Besides that? Sucked. Hard.

JtotheIzzo
06-23-2008, 10:35 AM

wrong

Colbert Report >>>>>>>> Daily Show

Office >>>>>>>>> Daily Show

and I watch the Daily Show, daily.

JtotheIzzo
06-23-2008, 10:42 AM
40 YOV... no...
Anchorman... no...

Comedy has taken a bad turn the last decade. It's like we were depending on Seinfeld. Now that it's gone, so is comedy.

Seinfeld
Simpsons
Wayans Bros
Fresh Prince

ya never had me...and then you REALLY lost me. Wayans brothers are you falkin kidding me? has ANYONE ...EVER made worse comedy movies...EVER?

and the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, yeah it was funny when we were kids, and good fodder while eating supper on occasion, but funny?

"Carleton you so white like"
"Uncle Phil you fat!"

Roll credits...

JtotheIzzo
06-23-2008, 10:45 AM

:rolleyes:
says the guy who casually drops his Master's Degree into the first sentence only to reaffirm it in the second.

You my friend will play the part of the pot, Penny and Fatboy, you are the kettle, but something tells me the kettle is more of a charcoal or dark gray, while the pot, that mofo is black as a boot.

Thorpesaurous
06-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Fatboy, I agree with you, the awkwardness is a huge part of what makes it funny, but I know people who's taste I'm pretty in line with who have had issues with just feeling uncomfortable watching it, and couldn't get into it. I had some similar issues when I first saw it.

I can't disagree too much with anyone who has a pic of Larry David as their avatar. And he's another guy who feeds off of awkward social pecidillos, but with him, he's so open about smashing them, it's never been a problem. On the office sometimes Micheal will say things that make me sweat right along with him. It speaks to how brilliantly dead on the show is, but it can definitely be an issue for people looking for an escape out of their comedy.

dnyk1337
06-23-2008, 01:06 PM
ya never had me...and then you REALLY lost me. Wayans brothers are you falkin kidding me? has ANYONE ...EVER made worse comedy movies...EVER?

and the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, yeah it was funny when we were kids, and good fodder while eating supper on occasion, but funny?

"Uncle Phil you fat!"

Roll credits...

How is Wayans Bros a bad show? It's hilarious along with Fresh Prince even now. The jokes are "childish" according to you, but Office feeds off that childish aura.

JtotheIzzo
06-23-2008, 01:16 PM
How is Wayans Bros a bad show? It's hilarious along with Fresh Prince even now. The jokes are "childish" according to you, but Office feeds off that childish aura.

I said the Wayans make the worst movies ever, that is a fact.

The Office isn't childish, its humor comes from awkward social interactions in a work setting.
You can't choose the people you work with, but you spend a 1/3 of your day with them, this leads to unintentional humor and lots of off color situations, not everyone's cup of tea I get it, but the Wayans and Will Smith are in no way comparable.

Black Joker
06-23-2008, 01:22 PM
40 YOV... no...
Anchorman... no...

Seinfeld
Simpsons
Wayans Bros
Fresh Prince

i don't know, i know I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but i just never found Seinfeld to be funny, I've tried to watch it and i just wasn't amused :confusedshrug:

Interminator
06-23-2008, 01:29 PM
i don't know, i know I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but i just never found Seinfeld to be funny, I've tried to watch it and i just wasn't amused :confusedshrug:
Seinfeld was before my time,and I hate watching reruns of 10+ years.

JtotheIzzo
06-23-2008, 02:00 PM

are you black? There is a running dialogue that black people don't watch Seinfeld. I think this is perpetuated in the media by Michael Wilbon, but it is out there.

Black Joker
06-23-2008, 02:40 PM
are you black? There is a running dialogue that black people don't watch Seinfeld. I think this is perpetuated in the media by Michael Wilbon, but it is out there.
yeah, im black. i dunno, some of my friends like Seinfeld, i just never got into it

XxNeXuSxX
06-23-2008, 02:42 PM
I watched it and always found it funny. Though I did stop watching it recently because I lost respect for Kramer.

JtotheIzzo
06-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I know black dudes who like it too, but I always hear Wilbon saying black guys don't watch Seinfeld. I am sure Kramer did douse the flames a little as well, kind of a shame really cuz his character was gold.

Dash
06-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Dwight Schrute > Kramer

Dasher
06-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Black dudes watch Seinfeld re-runs. When Martin ran against it on Thursdays the choice tended to be Martin.

B-Low
06-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Black dudes watch Seinfeld re-runs. When Martin ran against it on Thursdays the choice tended to be Martin.

Honestly i do think that's a big part of it. I never watched a single episode of Seinfeld until it started coming on in re-runs because Thursday night meant Martin/Living Single, so when the show was actually on the air I never caught a single episode, and that's probably why a lot of black people never got into it.

Now I watch it all the time though. I do agree that a lot of people probably got turned away by Kramer's racial rant but I really couldn't care less about that. Still hilarious.

fatboy11
06-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Favorite Comedies
The Office
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Seinfeld
Family Guy
Flight of the Conchords
Mr. Show with Bob and David
30 Rock

I won't put in my favorites because I don't really like the show that much, but I do enjoy watching The King of Queens sometimes. I love Jerry Stiller and I kinda like Kevin James. He's funny sometimes. But mainly for Jerry Stiller because his character is similar to the one on Seinfeld.

I used to like stuff like Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Wings (yeah, seriously) when I was younger so I'll still watch it if it's on.

B-Low
06-23-2008, 03:12 PM
That 70s show has jumped into my favorite sitcom category too. Another one that i never really watched in primetime while it was on but now i can watch it all day if there's a marathon on

Dasher
06-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Favorite Comedies
Seinfeld
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Martin
Reno 9-1-1
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Family Guy
The Boondocks
The Simpsons
Shasta McNasty
Upright Citizens Brigade

fatboy11
06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
That 70s show has jumped into my favorite sitcom category too. Another one that i never really watched in primetime while it was on but now i can watch it all day if there's a marathon onYeah, I kinda liked that show when it was on. The dad is funny.

fatboy11
06-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Favorite Comedies
Seinfeld
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Martin
Reno 9-1-1
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Family Guy
The Boondocks
The Simpsons
Shasta McNasty
Upright Citizens Brigade
I've got "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" on my Netflix. I've never seen it, but I heard it was funny.

Reno 911 is kinda funny, too. I saw the movie in the theather.

picc84
06-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Sunny in Phila is one of the only sitcoms I will NOT MISS for anything. Watch it. I know your lazy but do it.

SRZ66
06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
you have terrible terrible taste is you don't find the office funny. its on primetime nbc for a reason, so you are in the complete minority

brwnman
06-23-2008, 05:57 PM
you have terrible terrible taste is you don't find the office funny. its on primetime nbc for a reason, so you are in the complete minority

You are not in the complete minority, majority of the people with TVs don't watch the office. Also, you have to factor in age, work schedule, number of tvs at home and all that BS to be completely accurate - but the office isn't that great; so you're saying I have terrible terrible taste? FU(K YOU!

exaggerating pieces of sh!t...

Vragrant
06-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I kinda liked that show when it was on. The dad is funny.

Props on the avatar. Larry David is the man.:cheers:

I just watched the sixth season of Curb Your Enthusiasm, probably funnier than the fifth season.

Jackass18
06-23-2008, 11:38 PM

Seinfeld has its moments, but I find it to be pretty overrated overall.

Aldridge Fan
06-23-2008, 11:42 PM
I think Steve Carell is funny, especailly in The Office. :confusedshrug:

IBLEEDGREEN20
06-24-2008, 11:10 PM
curb your enthusiasm is my favorite show on television.. i have seasons 1 through 6 on dvd.. its amazing.. i am interested in seeing how the story line with cheryl ends up, im sure they will get back together..

the office is hilarious. i love when steve carrell randomly looks at the camera... its so funny..

L.Kizzle
06-24-2012, 02:30 AM

"Uncle Phil you fat!"

Roll credits...
Not sure if serious?

QUIZZLE
06-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Because 40 Year Old Virgin is one of my 3 favorite movies of All-Time,I went to see Evan Almighty and Dan In Real Life off of the fact that he was in both movies.

Both sucked,but I hoped they wouldn't.

I'm debating if it's even worth seeing Get Smart.

I might see it today.

Okay timeout. A movie STARRING Steve Carrell is in your top three favorite movies of all-time. Rogan throws in some good lines in the movie but for it to be anyone's top 3 (top 15 even) movies of all-time is a little concerning.

AboveTheRim.
06-24-2012, 12:09 PM
I can understand people not liking the office if they have only ever seen the last few seasons (5-current), but seasons 1, 2 and 3 and most of 4 were great and Carrell played a great character.

LBJMVP
06-24-2012, 01:07 PM
I can understand people not liking the office if they have only ever seen the last few seasons (5-current), but seasons 1, 2 and 3 and most of 4 were great and Carrell played a great character.

yah, i use to not like the office because i would catch an episode here or there, but its one of those shows were you have to watch it from the beginning and appreciate it....

also, i love steve carrell.

and will ferrell is one of favorite actors ever.

he has some classics... never seen a bad movie with will.

Rake2204
06-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Likely true. However, I'll also say my girlfriend tried to get me to watch it almost 8 years ago during season 1 (she used the basketball episode to attempt to reel me in). At that point I wasn't feeling it at all. It felt bleak and lifeless (which I'd come to discover, was kind of the point). Anyway, I didn't like Steve Carrell at the time either so I understand folks in that camp too. I didn't like Brick in Anchorman. I thought the humor behind his character was cheap (which again, I think that was the point).

Anyway, I caught an episode of the Office at random probably four years later. It was the episode featuring the fake fire (with Stanley having a heart attack). That opening scene drew me in and I began to take a liking, in spite of Steve Carrell and what I felt was his forced goofiness. Somehow though, over a number of TBS re-runs, Carrell began to grew on me and I ended up really appreciating him. It was a dramatic shift in thought on my end, like if I started liking Nicholas Cage.

I think The Office, like a lot of shows (but maybe more so due to its dependence on an ensemble cast) requires viewers to watch repeatedly and familiarize oneself with each character. The first episodes I watched were a little overwhelming just because there seemed to be so many people involved and I couldn't keep track of who was who.

So, I like the Office and I like Steve Carrell, but I totally understand how people don't like either.

Stuckey
06-24-2012, 04:28 PM
i use to not like him either, because i was a huge fan of the british Office

but then i warmed up to him, now i like the american office more

his movies are meh , but his character in anchorman was classic