PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Moves.

jailer
06-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Ok people now that the draft is over and we know where we stand. What moves do you think need to be made for this team to be competitive next season.

We have an abundance of guards. I think we should move either critt, or lowry. Walker might now want to playe here. So I think we can probably package them together for something. Like maybe to portland for channing frye and webster. Who knows but we need to make a move. Here is my list of players that I think we should lok into getting. Most are threes then there are a few bigs.

Ira Newble, James Jones, And Kareem Rush. I think these guys are all free agents so we could make an offer for them.

Joey Grahm, Martel Webster, Shawne Williams, Thadeous Young, Quinton Ross, C.J. Miles, Jarvis Hayes, Desmond Mason, and Canning Frye. We would have to make a trade to get any of these plaers.

I think if we can two of the players on these list that they will bring a competitive edge to the team next season.

Kebab Stall
06-28-2008, 03:22 PM
I definitly wouldn't mind having Kareem Rush on the team. I've been a fan of his for a while now and I think he would bring something nice to Memphis.

Making an offer for Frye would be nice, but how's his defense? We really need to look in to getting a solid, defensive big man. We've lost Collins, who was somewhat a good defensive presence, we need to fill that gap with a better defensive player.

jailer
06-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Frye is like 6'11'' a shot blocker with great athleticism. He is not as bit gweight wise like collins was. But he runs the floor great and can finish at both ends. Would fit well with our uptempo style.

Kebab Stall
06-28-2008, 03:41 PM
I think Frye would be a nice addition, given his frame and that he can run the floor. But, like I said before, we still need to get some defense in the post.

What's Marc Gasol like defensively? Is he smart, strong, agile or is he just going to be a big body down low?

berraco
06-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Newble or Jones would be nice. Also Rush. Frye, I don't like him so much, but he would be an upgrade over Hakim in the sense he is a true PF. His defense is not really good.

Smart and strong are good words to define Marc's defense. He is slow, though, so he will suffer against PFs that play at C.

Edit: Joey Graham? no, thanks. He would be just a bench warmer like Cardinal. No way.

jailer
06-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Newble or Jones would be nice. Also Rush. Frye, I don't like him so much, but he would be an upgrade over Hakim in the sense he is a true PF. His defense is not really good.

Smart and strong are good words to define Marc's defense. He is slow, though, so he will suffer against PFs that play at C.

Edit: Joey Graham? no, thanks. He would be just a bench warmer like Cardinal. No way.

I think grahm would be an upgrade from cardinal. He is more athletic and stronger. He can play off the dribble better. I mean he isnt that good BUT anything is better then cardinal.

Marc is more of a defensive banger. He will be able to fill up the middle. His offense will be the biggest question.

jailer
06-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Apparently bostanch nachbar is available. Not sure if spelling is right. But he is an unrestricted free agent. He could back up rudy.

alexthegod
06-29-2008, 04:11 AM
Having taken a few days to digest the main part of the big trade Majo and Miller for Love, I'm thinking they are going to come out ahead on this deal.

I live in LA and have seen quite a few games with both Majo and Love. I'm really worried that Love is going to be nothing more than a servicable big. I cant see him being a top tier big due to his lack of size and lack of athleticism. I see him really struggling on the defensive end. He might turn into a pretty good offensive player although he might be limited what he can do in the post in the NBA. So in my opinion, they traded a bust for a potential all star.

Losing Mike Miller actually makes sense if they believe Majo is going to be able to start right away and become an impact SG. He isn't the pure shooter Miller is, but he is a scorer with great atheltisism and can do everything else Miller does better.

Taking a good look at the contracts that were swapped they again came out ahead as Walker has a TEAM option after the season, so he is basicly a 10 mil expirer. Not only could they shed his salary next season, but he could be a trade chip at the trade deadline.

Basicly they traded Millers $9 mil salary, Collins $6 mil expirer, and Cardinals bad 2 year deal avg $6.5 per for Walkers $10 mil expirer, and Jarics not so great 3 year deal avg $7 mil per.

That means they will only have about $25.5 mil commited to next season and includeds Marc Gasol and Majo.

Things are getting interesting in Memphis!

berraco
06-29-2008, 04:42 AM
Apparently bostanch nachbar is available. Not sure if spelling is right. But he is an unrestricted free agent. He could back up rudy.

I like him, really.

Kebab Stall
06-29-2008, 04:52 AM
I think we should make an offer on a decent big man, possibly Frye, Blount or another big man who could come in and fill a role. We're obviously not going to get a star level big man, so we should go for a player who can fill a role. I think using Lowry or Crittenton along with Walker or Buckner could get us something respectable.

How much cap room do we have? I think we should still have enough to sign a decent SF to play backup. Nothing great, but atleast an improvement over Cardinal.

berraco
06-29-2008, 10:54 AM
How much cap room do we have? I think we should still have enough to sign a decent SF to play backup. Nothing great, but atleast an improvement over Cardinal.

We already have 42 M$ in salaries this year (including Damon's buy out). Plus Gasol, Mayo and Arthur, that would put us in around 50 (3.5 +3.5 + 1). Salary cap for next season has not been announced yet, but I think it will be around 57-58 M$ after the 55 M$ of last season. So we are around 7 millions below the cap and have three spots open in the roster (we have 9 players under contract + the 3 rookies).

jailer
06-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Yeah but I think wallace has basicly sadi that they wont look at the free agent market to much this year. He wants to hit it up next year when we have more cash.

berraco
06-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Yeah but I think wallace has basicly sadi that they wont look at the free agent market to much this year. He wants to hit it up next year when we have more cash.

Right, having around 12 players is enough for this roster. We can fill the other spots with 1 year contracts and live with that. Next year Walker's contract will be finished plus Damon's buyout, which gives us around 15M$ more. That will be the moment to look into the free agency.

jailer
06-29-2008, 11:51 PM
We should have around 14-15 million next year if we dont use anymore this season. I think we would of had like 18-19 before the trade. I like nachbar though. I think he could really be a stud here. He is like 6'9'' and can flat out shoot the three.

Kebab Stall
06-30-2008, 11:52 AM
If Wallace isn't planning on signing anyone (which is a really dumb move by him, but I'm not at all surprised at this point), then he should definitly look into making a trade.

jailer
06-30-2008, 02:13 PM
If Wallace isn't planning on signing anyone (which is a really dumb move by him, but I'm not at all surprised at this point), then he should definitly look into making a trade.

Yeah a trade is going to happen. He already said that they would address their needs in the offseason by making trades. I just wouldn expect to sign anyone. Even though brandon rush and nachbar are both unrestricted free agents. Both are only 27 and would fit well here.

veilside23
06-30-2008, 05:42 PM
i think you guys might lose one of your point guards of course with the exception of conley jr. Pat riley seems to like lowry i assume it will be a trade i just hope that you guys wont get a bad contract in return .

jailer
06-30-2008, 09:49 PM
i think you guys might lose one of your point guards of course with the exception of conley jr. Pat riley seems to like lowry i assume it will be a trade i just hope that you guys wont get a bad contract in return .

I wouldnt mind trading lowry for cook and some cash. Then you could have coo back up rudy. Plus conley and cook are old teammates from ohio state.

Kebab Stall
07-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Cook is a guard, I doubt he would play behind Rudy. He possibly could, if we put out a small line up.

If we Riley is interested in Lowry, we could through in Antoine Walker and get Deaquan Cook and Mark Blount in return. The contracts matchup and we get a backup SG to play behind Mayo in Cook and we get a nice player in Blount who can play the 4/5.

Thoughts on that trade idea?

jailer
07-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Cook is a guard, I doubt he would play behind Rudy. He possibly could, if we put out a small line up.

If we Riley is interested in Lowry, we could through in Antoine Walker and get Deaquan Cook and Mark Blount in return. The contracts matchup and we get a backup SG to play behind Mayo in Cook and we get a nice player in Blount who can play the 4/5.

Thoughts on that trade idea?

Yeah thats my bad. I meant that cook could be a good back up for mayo.

As for walker in mimi. I dont think that would work. Walker and riley had alot of problems when he was there. Which is one of the reasons he was traded off that team.

Kebab Stall
07-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I doubt any team would want Walker, all he does is shoot a ridiculous amount of 3's and then shimmy back up the court whilst the man he's suppose to be defending scores an open layup.

berraco
07-01-2008, 01:26 PM
I think the trade is not good for Memphis also. We need to get back a SF and a PF/C, not another guard.

Kebab Stall
07-01-2008, 01:38 PM
I think the trade is not good for Memphis also. We need to get back a SF and a PF/C, not another guard.
Whilst SF/PF/C are our priorities, we still need a decent backup for the SG spot. Mayo will, most likely be starting and, as it stands, Buckner will be the backup. That's not good enough. We would also get Blount in the trade which deepens are bench at the PF/C spot.

berraco
07-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Whilst SF/PF/C are our priorities, we still need a decent backup for the SG spot. Mayo will, most likely be starting and, as it stands, Buckner will be the backup. That's not good enough. We would also get Blount in the trade which deepens are bench at the PF/C spot.

Critt and/or Jaric can fill the spot at any point in time. Mayo will be playing 30+ minutes, Buckner will play more than 10 if we really want the defense to be consistent, there are no much minutes left, I think. I'm more worried about Gay having no backup and our big men with unknown or low scoring ability.

Kebab Stall
07-01-2008, 02:31 PM
There isn't much available in terms of a decent low post big man. I thought Blount would be a nice addition, nothing fancy, but would definitly be a nice pick up.

Trading away Walker will be hard, so I guess either Lowry or Crittenton would have to be the centre piece of the trade with Walker being there just to make up the numbers.

David Lee, possibly? He would add depth to the PF spot and could play the 3, if we put out a big line up.

berraco
07-01-2008, 03:03 PM
There isn't much available in terms of a decent low post big man. I thought Blount would be a nice addition, nothing fancy, but would definitly be a nice pick up.

Trading away Walker will be hard, so I guess either Lowry or Crittenton would have to be the centre piece of the trade with Walker being there just to make up the numbers.

David Lee, possibly? He would add depth to the PF spot and could play the 3, if we put out a big line up.

I like Lee. Problem is the Knicks are shopping him around and probably will get something bettern than Kyle in return, although they are desperately looking for a PG and Lowry would fit perfectly in D'Antoni's style. I will push for him just in case. I doubt he can play the 3 though, but we would have Hakim to back up Rudy.

EDIT: I would like us to go after Paul Millsap. I don't know what Utah would ask for him, but I love the guy.

jailer
07-01-2008, 04:28 PM
I like Lee. Problem is the Knicks are shopping him around and probably will get something bettern than Kyle in return, although they are desperately looking for a PG and Lowry would fit perfectly in D'Antoni's style. I will push for him just in case. I doubt he can play the 3 though, but we would have Hakim to back up Rudy.

EDIT: I would like us to go after Paul Millsap. I don't know what Utah would ask for him, but I love the guy.

Actually I was just reading on nba.com and dantoni is trying to trade lee. And if mentioned trying to get s good point guard possibly from memphis. He mentioned trying to trade for loery or conley.

We could package a deal of lowry and warrik and maybe get back lee and another player. Maybe quentin richardson or jared jeffries. I wouldnt mind that trade we would get a back up for rudy in richardson and a starting power forward in david lee.

berraco
07-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Actually I was just reading on nba.com and dantoni is trying to trade lee. And if mentioned trying to get s good point guard possibly from memphis. He mentioned trying to trade for loery or conley.

We could package a deal of lowry and warrik and maybe get back lee and another player. Maybe quentin richardson or jared jeffries. I wouldnt mind that trade we would get a back up for rudy in richardson and a starting power forward in david lee.

Q-Rich has a bad contract for us if we want to keep the most of our cap room for next summer. I would try a package of Lowry/Warrick for Lee/Wilson Chandler. Both teams win, IMO.
New York gets the PG they need and a good SF/PF for the run&gun in Hakim. We get the PF we need and a good back up for Rudy, specially in the defensive end. thoughts?

Kebab Stall
07-02-2008, 05:17 AM
I haven't seen much of Wilson Chandler to make a fair assessment, but wasn't the player who started to have some really good games near the end of the season?

Anyway, I think Lee would be a good fit for the team. He brings rebounding, hustle and toughness with him, something we lack and would also be a good player to have on the team, with Arthur playing behind him. We give up Warrick in the process, who has shown some very good signs, but I think Lee is what we need.

We also get a backup for Rudy in Chandler. Who, from my understanding, is nice young player.

Giving up Lowry isn't much of a concern. We would still have Conley and Crittenton, with Jaric who can provide some veteran experience. Seems like a decent trade all around.

jailer
07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
I said q-rich because of the fact that he has a bad contract. NY would be more inclined to trade lee if they can drop a bad contract. I dont think they would trade wilson because he was their first round pick last year. They might but I highly doubt it.

berraco
07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
I said q-rich because of the fact that he has a bad contract. NY would be more inclined to trade lee if they can drop a bad contract. I dont think they would trade wilson because he was their first round pick last year. They might but I highly doubt it.

I know but still the deal was fair, IMO. All are basically unproven players.
Anyway, it seems NY will get Duhon in the free agency, so it is less likely they will ask us about Lowry.

veilside23
07-02-2008, 01:08 PM
hello guys.. here i am again your friendly neighbor :) just want to let you know about this news

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/07/01/gasol/

Marc Gasol, the younger brother of Lakers center Pau Gasol, has agreed to a three-year deal worth $10 million, according to a league source. The contract has yet to be signed, but was said to be near completion.

Gasol, 23, is considered one of the top players in Europe. Last year the 7-foot-1 center was named MVP of the Spanish League after averaging 16.2 points and 8.3 rebounds per game for Akasvayu Girona. He could join with 7-foot Darko Milicic to give the Grizzlies one of the taller frontcourts in the NBA.

congrats :party:

jailer
07-02-2008, 01:18 PM
hello guys.. here i am again your friendly neighbor :) just want to let you know about this news

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/07/01/gasol/

congrats :party:

Yeah that was reported in mem a week ago. I think the deal is only 9 million but it might be ten. Its not official until he signs. Which I THINK can happen on the 11th.

jailer
07-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Oh yeah also walker and jaric and probably buckner all came in today for their physicals. Maybe they will hold a press confrence. If not then that will be an indication if these players will be traded or not,

Kebab Stall
07-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Oh yeah also walker and jaric and probably buckner all came in today for their physicals. Maybe they will hold a press confrence. If not then that will be an indication if these players will be traded or not,
Do they usually hold press conferences for the 'average joe' player when he gets traded?

jailer
07-02-2008, 02:56 PM
they do sometimes. Like marcus banks got one. when he went phx and millic did last year here in mem.

Kebab Stall
07-02-2008, 03:00 PM
If they do get one, hopefully 'Toine busts out a shimmy.

berraco
07-02-2008, 03:15 PM
If they do get one, hopefully 'Toine busts out a shimmy.
:rockon:

jailer
07-02-2008, 07:09 PM
I mean if all of these guys come here. I really like our odds. Im not saying playoffs. Im just saying that all of the guys coming in are better then the ones leaving. With exception of miller. But we got deeper through this trade. We got worst contracts in return. But we have the money so it dosent hurt that bad. Plus we now have more oom for trades. The grizz could easily win 30 games this year. Maybe 35 if they gel right. Then next season we get another good pick and a good free agent. And I think were right there in the playoff hunt.

berraco
07-03-2008, 02:29 AM
I mean if all of these guys come here. I really like our odds. Im not saying playoffs. Im just saying that all of the guys coming in are better then the ones leaving. With exception of miller. But we got deeper through this trade. We got worst contracts in return. But we have the money so it dosent hurt that bad. Plus we now have more oom for trades. The grizz could easily win 30 games this year. Maybe 35 if they gel right. Then next season we get another good pick and a good free agent. And I think were right there in the playoff hunt.

That could be the path having a good coach. Let's see what iavaroni can do. I don't expect even 30 wins, because i don't want to be disappointed again. Last year we had a team that could have win 35 with a good coach and look to what happened.

Kebab Stall
07-03-2008, 06:17 AM
I don't think 30 wins is out of the question. Especially with the current roster, maybe if some trades are made then the chances of getting 30 wins will be even better.

Though I do think that the first few weeks of the season will be a bit rough as the team finds their strenghts and weaknesses as playing as team against the better teams of the league.

jailer
07-03-2008, 12:12 PM
True im just trying to think positive. We will get our first look at the new guys next week. The summer league starts on monday I think.

Kebab Stall
07-03-2008, 12:26 PM
True im just trying to think positive. We will get our first look at the new guys next week. The summer league starts on monday I think.
I'm definitly looking forward to the summer league.

berraco
07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm definitly looking forward to the summer league.
yeap

jailer
07-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Its kinda not fair we might have three of our five starters out there. Conley, Mayo, maybe Gay, Arthur, and maybe Gasol. That would be cool to see. I want them to get on the court together as soon as possible.

berraco
07-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Its kinda not fair we might have three of our five starters out there. Conley, Mayo, maybe Gay, Arthur, and maybe Gasol. That would be cool to see. I want them to get on the court together as soon as possible.

I suppose Marc will not play because of the Olympics

jailer
07-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Eh probably not. But there is only five games they will be done by the 15th. The olympics dont start until august the 8th.

berraco
07-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Eh probably not. But there is only five games they will be done by the 15th. The olympics dont start until august the 8th.

They are already (or close to start) practicing with the new coach. I don't think he will come.

jailer
07-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah I think we start practice next week.

veilside23
07-04-2008, 03:43 PM
hopefully arthur shows up bigtime.. I hope he can bump into the starting lineups.. since it has been brought up many times. I just want to ask you guys.. is it true that memphis might move to seattle?

Kebab Stall
07-05-2008, 06:44 AM
hopefully arthur shows up bigtime.. I hope he can bump into the starting lineups.. since it has been brought up many times. I just want to ask you guys.. is it true that memphis might move to seattle?
I just read that it was Lousiville. Now it's Seattle? Both places don't make much sense to me. I think the Grizzlies will stay in Memphis. If they were to move to anywhere, it would be back to Vancouver.

jailer
07-05-2008, 12:02 PM
It wont be louisville. If anywhere it will be seattle. The seattle organization has five years to buy a team and build a new stadium if they want to have another nba team. So since the grizzlies are always up for sale because heisley dosent want them anymore. The most likely move woud be to seattle. Since the last owner of the sonics was the c.e.o. of starbucks. The man has got alot of money. He can easily offer the 350 millio dollar asking price that heisley wants.

People we need to support the grizz or we will lose them in the next two years!!! Save our grizz!!!!

Kebab Stall
07-05-2008, 12:11 PM
It wont be louisville. If anywhere it will be seattle. The seattle organization has five years to buy a team and build a new stadium if they want to have another nba team. So since the grizzlies are always up for sale because heisley dosent want them anymore. The most likely move woud be to seattle. Since the last owner of the sonics was the c.e.o. of starbucks. The man has got alot of money. He can easily offer the 350 millio dollar asking price that heisley wants.

People we need to support the grizz or we will lose them in the next two years!!! Save our grizz!!!!
Since Seattle have kept the Sonics name and colours, would the Grizzlies adopt the name and colours, if (God forbid) they move to seattle?

gasolina
07-05-2008, 09:19 PM
If you are the owner of the team, you can do anything.

Answer is yes

gasolina
07-05-2008, 09:48 PM
This sucks. After the Mayo trade we don't actually have anything to offer other teams now. We do have that capspace though, but there's no one left to sign.

But I do like our team now.

jailer
07-05-2008, 09:53 PM
There are some players who could help us out. But I dont think we will use that much cap space this season.

Kebab Stall
07-06-2008, 05:02 AM
We only have Buckner, Walker, Lowry and Warrick that could bring in something decent. But, Buckner and Walker would have to be packed with either Lowry or Warrick, because Buckner and Walker aren't bringing in jack sh!t on their own.

My only problem is that Wallace, whilst having the balls to do some terrible trades, doesn't have the balls to do smart trades that will help the team.

NY-Knicks
07-06-2008, 08:37 AM
the Knicks have some frontcourt players that we want to get rid of :roll:

Kebab Stall
07-06-2008, 08:55 AM
the Knicks have some frontcourt players that we want to get rid of :roll:
We'd, or atleast I would, be happy to take David Lee off your hands, but you can keep the other crap you have.

NY-Knicks
07-06-2008, 11:37 AM
:D I would say the exact same thing

jailer
07-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Well that not entirely true. I wouldnt mind getting jarred jeffries. He is pretty decent. So him or lee would be cool with me.

Kebab Stall
07-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Well that not entirely true. I wouldnt mind getting jarred jeffries. He is pretty decent. So him or lee would be cool with me.
Lee could really help Memphis in the rebounding, defense and hustle areas. I haven't seen enough of Jeffries to make a fair comment about him.

jailer
07-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Jeffries is a 6'11'' athletic big who can run the court and play good helpside defense. His offense is more in the line of jump shots. As opposed to post up play. Not a real banger typ. But could be a good running big man for us.

gasolina
07-07-2008, 05:10 AM
Wasn't jeffries given like the full MLE or something some year's back? I remember when NY signed him there was all talk of "changing" the mentality and bringing in defensive/hustle guys for new york's new core. Lol did Isiah screw that up.

When Jeffries was in washington he was a pretty mediocre starter alongside hughes. Both of them did provide some excellent perimeter D and was the only gilbert-wizard team to ever make it the 2nd round. He could hit the three pretty rarely.

I wouldn't want him in here. He's a more defensive version of Warrick.

My God we need a big guard.

jailer
07-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Marco jaric is like 6'7''. He is a big combo guard.

berraco
07-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Hopefully he will prove me wrong, but Jaric is big, but a big sh!t. He is not good at anything that I can recall.

jailer
07-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Im not saying he is great or anything. But he is a good size combo guard that can go in and wont screw the team that bad by playing ten minutes a night.

ZeN
07-07-2008, 10:37 PM

I hope he revitalizes his game now that he will be playing in a different team..

However Im well aware that this is wishful thinking...:lol

jailer
07-08-2008, 12:20 AM
I hope he revitalizes his game now that he will be playing in a different team..

However Im well aware that this is wishful thinking...:lol

I mean dont get me wrong. I dont think the guy is gonna come in and become the player that we all thought he could be. But if worst comes to worst he can play some guard for us.

berraco
07-08-2008, 05:18 PM
I mean dont get me wrong. I dont think the guy is gonna come in and become the player that we all thought he could be. But if worst comes to worst he can play some guard for us.

Nah, I'm sure nobody expect him being the real deal now. He has been such a disappointment almost year after year, in the NBA and whenever he played for his national team. So whatever he does could be good. Hopefully he will produce more than Cardinal did in all that years.

jailer
07-08-2008, 06:37 PM
I mean thats what im saying. Jaric will be more helpful then cardinal ever was. Which is not saying much.

gasolina
07-14-2008, 02:05 AM
Jaric was actually pretty o.k. as a rookie back in the Clippers... o wait, the Clippers... nvm

But still, I guess if he could just be a normal shooting guard then he would be alright. But he's:

too slow to be a guard
has handles to be a point guard
doesn't have a consistent shot to be a shooting guard

He averaged 8 and 4 last year on 29 minutes and 43% shooting. BAD

He would be the worst person to pair with Crittenton or with Lowry.

gasolina
07-14-2008, 02:08 AM
How do you guys feel about Walker? Kinda feels like fate having one of my favorite players of all time be a grizz but is there a way we can buy him out and get another player?

Unless.... he proves he can still play and averages 12ppg off the bench to entice Boston in taking him.

Kebab Stall
07-14-2008, 05:21 AM
If Walker doesn't bust out a shimmy in his first game, then his ass should get traded.

jailer
07-14-2008, 12:15 PM
It looks more and more likely everyday that walker is gonna play here. I have heard no news here about him getting bought out. Which I am ok with. I thing he could come off the bench and hit some threes and get the crowd fired up.

Grizzled Mayo
07-14-2008, 12:31 PM
walker needs to shim shim shimmy every time he is on the court to bad he isnt the walker of four years ago

Kebab Stall
07-14-2008, 12:34 PM
How long does Walker have left on his contract? Couple years? 1? 2? If it isn't long maybe we could just tough it out and wait for the cap space to come along, though having to watch Walker during that time will probably make it go a lot slower.

gasolina
07-14-2008, 12:41 PM
How long does Walker have left on his contract? Couple years? 1? 2? If it isn't long maybe we could just tough it out and wait for the cap space to come along, though having to watch Walker during that time will probably make it go a lot slower.

I think its only this year then a team option, which I ASSUME we would not take.

Till then I'd be droppin bombs on nba 2k8 with employee #8.

I orignally had Arthur in front of Walker in my depth chart but when Gay or Mayo goes to the bench, literally no one could score. J-Critt would go for 0-4.

jailer
07-14-2008, 03:44 PM
I think its only this year then a team option, which I ASSUME we would not take.

Till then I'd be droppin bombs on nba 2k8 with employee #8.

I orignally had Arthur in front of Walker in my depth chart but when Gay or Mayo goes to the bench, literally no one could score. J-Critt would go for 0-4.

haha im glar your deciding our starting lineup based on your 2k8 game

Kebab Stall
07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
My NBA 2k8 line up is.....

PG: Conley / Lowry / Crittenton / Jaric
SG: Mayo / Buckner
C: Gasol / Milicic
PF: Hakim / Arthur / Walker
SF: Gay

That's how it did look. Then I traded Buckner for Arron Afflalo from the Pistons and I also got someone for Jaric, but I can't remember who.

Anyway, before the trades went down, Milicic was being a b!tch about his minutes, he thought he was getting as many as he deserved. So I upped his minutes to 30mpg game and he was still b!tching that they were too low, so I just dropped his minutes down to 16mpg and put him on the bench and gave the starting spot to Gasol.

Conley's jumper sucks, I've had to do so much development training with him just to get it up and he still sucks. So I just drive at the hoop with him and he gets past his defender almost every time. Also, because Conley is good at finishing in traffic, he almost always finishes at the rim through the bigger guys.

Buckner, Jaric and Walker were the most useless pieces of trash I had on the team. Even when I combined all their point per game averages, they still didn't come above 10ppg.

Arthur was a big liability on offense, dude was missing open 5-10 footers. Hakim was a liability on defense because he was too small to play PF, so when I go for a big lineup, Hakim does well at the SF spot. My big lineup is usually Gasol / Darko (or Arthur) / Hakim / Gay / Crittenton. But, since this team is full of guars I find that I usually end with a small lineup, when guys like Hakima and even Gay have played the centre spot.

gasolina
07-14-2008, 04:58 PM
haha im glar your deciding our starting lineup based on your 2k8 game

Not saying that I would want Walker in front of Arthur in real life but since Walker IS one of my fave players I will certainly play him more over arthur in 2k8

Grizzled Mayo
07-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Yo how good did you make mayo

jailer
07-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah it takes alot of work in that game to get certain players weaknessess is into strengths. Conley has a bad jumpshot in the game, but lowrys is so much worse. His form is so bad its hard to shoot with him.

But conley in real life looks like he has found his stroke. He is shootimg like 50 pecent from the arc ight now.

Kebab Stall
07-15-2008, 04:34 AM
I used sliders from another site to do Mayo, which somer guy posted (he done the entire draft class, I just done the first rounders and a couple of second rounders). Mayo is pretty good, the jumper that this guy gave him is pretty wierd, you have to release the ball pretty earlier to get more accuracy on the shot. Mayo also sucks at shooting if their is a defender within 10 feet of him.

Lowry's shot is hidious on the game, though when he is open, it's always money. Conley on the other hand misses when he is wide open, so I just went and altered his stats a bit to improve his shot, because it pissed me off so much.

But yeah, Conley seems to have developed a nice shot now, he's really shown it during the summer league.

jailer
07-15-2008, 12:40 PM
yeah he took the night off vs the spurs. To give mayo more time at the point. But Conley is looking like he improved alot of his weaknesses.

jailer
07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Apparently there are rumors of the grizz trading critt to the magic. What would you guys like to get back for him. And would you rather be trading lowry instead of critt.

I personally think that critt has alot more star potential then lowry. But in a few years you would have two good point guards both would want to start and get paid. So you are either going to have to trade one now or in a few years. I think lowry will just becom a defensive gem not an offensive weapon.

Grizzled Mayo
07-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Yo man you gotta lose one of them boys

gasolina
07-15-2008, 01:13 PM
I'd rather keep Lowry than have Crittenton. Even though Lowry is a mofo ballhog, he's an above average defender and pairs nicely with COnley.

Critt, however, is a combo guard which I hate especially if you're below 6'4. Theoritically, he'd fit more with Conley by spending minutes at the 2 and have fulltime backup 1 duties. But he has no shot and will mightily struggle playing regular minutes.

I'd take Reddick for Critt any day. We could use a shooter off the bench.

jailer
07-15-2008, 05:53 PM
I'd rather keep Lowry than have Crittenton. Even though Lowry is a mofo ballhog, he's an above average defender and pairs nicely with COnley.

Critt, however, is a combo guard which I hate especially if you're below 6'4. Theoritically, he'd fit more with Conley by spending minutes at the 2 and have fulltime backup 1 duties. But he has no shot and will mightily struggle playing regular minutes.

I'd take Reddick for Critt any day. We could use a shooter off the bench.Maybe reddik plus a pick

Grizzled Mayo
07-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Man that boy aint been good since he was a dookie

jailer
07-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah thats true. I remember him in highschool going to duke. I was upset cause im a unc fan. I decided that I wouldnt cheer for him until he went pro. Now that he is in the league he isnt good. Kind of disappointing.

berraco
07-21-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm wondering why there is no just one rumour about the Grizzlies making any move. Are they planning just to sign someone from the summer league roster to fill the open spots?

Kebab Stall
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Chris Wallace did say that he didn't want to sign anyone and save the cap space for next year. But, since there is very little happening rumour/trade wise and also PJ Tucker's performance in the summer league and also that he won't be asking for a big contract, then I suspect that Tucker might be given an offer.

berraco
07-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Chris Wallace did say that he didn't want to sign anyone and save the cap space for next year. But, since there is very little happening rumour/trade wise and also PJ Tucker's performance in the summer league and also that he won't be asking for a big contract, then I suspect that Tucker might be given an offer.

That's what I thought and I don't like it. Tucker is the last kind of player the Grizzlies need today, an undersized SF. He really made a good summer league, but with the lack of PFs we have, taking him is a mistake IMO.

EDIT: unless we can trade some of the guards and Walker is bought out.

Kebab Stall
07-21-2008, 01:00 PM
I think a Tucker would fill a need. We desperately need another SF to backup Gay, I think Tucker would a solid contributer, based on his summer league performance. Hopefully Wallace and co. have something planned, because we cannot enter the season with the current squad.

gasolina
07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
How about Shawne Williams? He's apparently on his way out of Indiana? He's an RFA but the Birds seems to be fed up with him and may be willing to let him walk.

If we could sign him to a 1 year contract with a team option next year then he'll be a nice low risk investment.

He's 6'9 and could provide great size on our thin frontline. He can also play both the 3 & 4

Also, him playing in his hometown may put him in his place. Get his momma to keep an eye on him.

jailer
07-21-2008, 02:11 PM
I tnk he was on his way out but. The pacers are gonn give him one more chance. He also played really well in summer league. There is no fire sale on him. They arent trying to get rid of him but we could probably trade for him.

gasolina
07-21-2008, 03:06 PM
I tnk he was on his way out but. The pacers are gonn give him one more chance. He also played really well in summer league. There is no fire sale on him. They arent trying to get rid of him but we could probably trade for him.

Did he play in the summer league?

berraco
07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
I think a Tucker would fill a need. We desperately need another SF to backup Gay, I think Tucker would a solid contributer, based on his summer league performance. Hopefully Wallace and co. have something planned, because we cannot enter the season with the current squad.

I'm not quite sure he really fills a need. Having Walker and Warrick in the roster is good enough for backing up Gay. With another PF Warrick could play more minutes as SF and give some good minutes in the PF. Now, if Walker is gone and Warrick has to play PF, Tucker could be useful. But I'm worried about him being that undersized, really.

I would really take Williams for one year at least. Is Indy looking for a PG? We could manage a trade.

gasolina
07-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I would really take Williams for one year at least. Is Indy looking for a PG? We could manage a trade.

Nahh Indiana's all set with Ford and Jack. I just hope they leave him be and we can sign him for cheap.

jailer
07-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Did he play in the summer league?

Yeah he played good. He played in the league in orlando.

jailer
07-22-2008, 01:04 AM
is anyone else mad that the grizz didnt even try and sign nachbar. Who is now going to russia. We could have gotten a nice backup at the small forward for rudy. But he now on a plane to russia instead.

berraco
07-22-2008, 02:21 AM
is anyone else mad that the grizz didnt even try and sign nachbar. Who is now going to russia. We could have gotten a nice backup at the small forward for rudy. But he now on a plane to russia instead.

He would have leave. Big money in Russia these days.

gasolina
07-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Can the grizz do a Marcus Camby for EMeka Okafor, who wants out of Charlotte? Not really well versed into these trade rules especially the trade exception, I just know that contracts should be of somewhat near value when you trade them.

berraco
07-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Can the grizz do a Marcus Camby for EMeka Okafor, who wants out of Charlotte? Not really well versed into these trade rules especially the trade exception, I just know that contracts should be of somewhat near value when you trade them.

i don't know if they can do that, but I would do it in a heartbeat. Okafor would be perfect.

Kebab Stall
07-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Okafor would fit a huge need for this team. He'd also be able to play more PF than he did at Bobcats.

veilside23
07-22-2008, 12:34 PM
yup i think okafor would fit good here...

berraco
07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
We can overpay him for a few years.

jailer
07-22-2008, 01:52 PM
I agree I would love to have mek here. But its not gonna happen.

Grizzled Mayo
07-22-2008, 02:04 PM
yo mek is good and all but he is gonna cost ya like 15 mil a year lets just see how hak and arthur play out its alot cheaper that way

Kebab Stall
07-22-2008, 02:17 PM
yo mek is good and all but he is gonna cost ya like 15 mil a year lets just see how hak and arthur play out its alot cheaper that way
I think that's the plan. Wallace is really keen on keeping the cap space till next year anyway.

gasolina
07-22-2008, 02:35 PM
I think that's the plan. Wallace is really keen on keeping the cap space till next year anyway.

How much Capspace do we have right now? $15 a year for Emeka? Wow, that's too much. How much is Bogut getting paid again?

Kebab Stall
07-22-2008, 02:49 PM
How much Capspace do we have right now? $15 a year for Emeka? Wow, that's too much. How much is Bogut getting paid again?
I'm not sure how much we have right now, I think it's around $12 mil. I could be completely wrong though.

gasolina
07-22-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure how much we have right now, I think it's around $12 mil. I could be completely wrong though.

Let's say you're right, then we Blow off that $12 million to Okafor. Next year Walker's and Stoudamire's contracts expire and we have another $11 million.

Oh crap, I did some research and here are the Free agents of 09

Marvin Williams (restricted)
Raymond Felton (restricted)
Jason Maxiell (restricted)
Luther Head (restricted)
Danny Granger (restricted)
Andrew Bynum (restricted)
Hakim Warrick (restricted)
Charlie Villanueva (restricted)
Rashard McCants (restricted)
Nate Robinson (restricted)
David Lee (restricted)
Channing Frye (restricted)
Jarrett Jack (restricted)
Francisco "Paco" Garcia (restricted)

Don't know about some of the above but CP3 and Deron and Bogut have all signed extensions. 2010 has the deepest in number and talent of free agents. But that means we have to keep tanking for 2 more years which is just really wrong.

berraco
07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Looking to what could be available next year, either we overpay today Emeka or we pray that Boozer opts out of his contract at the end of the season and wants to join us for the maximum. Which I fear is not going to happen and I don't know if it would be good because in a few years we have to re-sign our youngs.

gasolina
07-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Looking to what could be available next year, either we overpay today Emeka or we pray that Boozer opts out of his contract at the end of the season and wants to join us for the maximum. Which I fear is not going to happen and I don't know if it would be good because in a few years we have to re-sign our youngs.

That's the thing. We better load up now while before we give out the extensions. I for one am really concerned about that 2010 draft. People will be overpaying for top dollar FAs. Small market teams don't have a chance

veilside23
07-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Rudy Gay expires next year too right? hmmmmmmm i hope he stays, Gay can be the franchise player of this team. Memphis should make a deal like the one that chris paul and deron williams did so that next year wont be a problem.

jailer
07-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Thats just it. We have got a little over 10 million now after we signed marc gasol. Ok we could offer emeka a backloaded contract that we could only pay him like eight million this year. But it could to 12 million next season then 14 the next and then 15 then max out at like 16 million a year. But I dont know if he is worth that much. Plus were gona have to pay all the young guns that we have now. Rudy, mayo, lowry, conley, critt, hakim, arthur. All of those guys are gonna want money escpecially if they all hit their potential.

Let okafor go. Boozer will not come here. Utah will pay him just as much as us to stay. If we want meka I say trade warrik and critt for a player and a pick. Then sign okafor.

gasolina
07-23-2008, 01:09 PM
We got roughly $10 million expiring next year from Walker and Stoudamire and then another $7.5 million in 2010.

I hope the disgruntled class of Okafor, Deng, Smith would all sign 1 year offers and then we trade for them on the Feb deadline.

Then we can spend the $7.5 million for whatever's left of the big FA class of 2010.

jailer
07-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah I just dont see up over paying for anyone at this point

Kebab Stall
07-24-2008, 06:13 AM
I'm just worried that even with all this money that no one is going to want to sign with us. But, with all these players who are willing to go overseas just for more money, then I guess we could land someone.

Grizzled Mayo
07-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Man the grizzlies dont want to pay nobody

berraco
07-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm just worried that even with all this money that no one is going to want to sign with us. But, with all these players who are willing to go overseas just for more money, then I guess we could land someone.

lol at your avvy, Kebab:rockon:

gasolina
07-25-2008, 05:03 PM
lol at your avvy, Kebab:rockon:

My God is today really slow. No posts in this forum?

Anyway, how are you guys feeling about the current strategy of landing pieces to the Griz.

Unless these RFAs (Okafor, Smith, Deng) would sign only qualifying offers then we don't actually have a chance to sign someone who could help us in 2009. If we offer them contracts now then their teams would probably match them leaving us with nothing. At least if they become URFA then we are on somewhat equal playing ground.

In 2010 with all these teams prepping for capspace, am I the only one who thinks that we may not land any of the bigger names just because we play in Memphis? Just imagone, have we acquired any big free agent during the history of the franchise?

Significant figures in Grizzly uniform
1. Reeves - Daft
2. Shareef - Draft
3. J-Will - Trade
4. Gasol - Draft
5. Battier - Draft
6. Miller - Trade
7. Gay - Trade
8. Conley - Draft
9 Mayo - Draft

Hmm that got me thinking about Posey, did we sign him?

Kebab Stall
07-26-2008, 08:01 AM
We're still a relatively young franchise, an unproven team and shipped all of our playoff year players out, apart from Warrick. Our current team is young and potential filled, in a few years, if the core is kept together, we could improve quite a lot and then signing players will be easier.

Right now though, I think signing any player would be hard, but it seems that all you need is money these days, as players going to Europe has proved that and guess what? We have money, as long as you have money the players will come!

jailer
07-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey gasolina we signed posey. We also signed cardinal, stoudamire, and earl watson.
We havent really signed anyone big.

gasolina
07-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Hey gasolina we signed posey. We also signed cardinal, stoudamire, and earl watson.
We havent really signed anyone big.

LOL signing Posey was great, I think Watson was ok too, but Stoudamire and CARDINAL? :hammerhead:

Watson was signed and split minutes with J-Will right? I always wanted to see how J-Will will play in 34 minutes a game, he always wound up splitting time with legit ball handlers (B-Jax, Watson, Wade)

Man the Custodian was really bad for us.

jailer
07-28-2008, 02:08 PM
LOL signing Posey was great, I think Watson was ok too, but Stoudamire and CARDINAL? :hammerhead:

Watson was signed and split minutes with J-Will right? I always wanted to see how J-Will will play in 34 minutes a game, he always wound up splitting time with legit ball handlers (B-Jax, Watson, Wade)

Man the Custodian was really bad for us.

Yeah originally watson split time with williams and brevin knight.

berraco
07-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah originally watson split time with williams and brevin knight.

We were really good set at the PG spot by that date... hope our young guys will be close to that.

gasolina
07-29-2008, 12:53 AM
We were really good set at the PG spot by that date... hope our young guys will be close to that.

Yeah but for Conley, and him being picked at 5, I'd expect him to play at least 32 min a game. Not split time with Lowry at 24 each.

Kebab Stall
07-29-2008, 04:08 AM
Conley was the 4th pick, But, I agree I don't think the PG spot will be split evenly. The majority of the mins will go to Conley with Lowry backing him up and Critt getting a few minutes here and there. I mainly expect Critt to be playing the majority of his PT behind Mayo at the 2 spot.

jailer
07-29-2008, 01:28 PM
I expect critt or lowry to be dealt befor the season starts.

gasolina
07-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Conley was the 4th pick, But, I agree I don't think the PG spot will be split evenly. The majority of the mins will go to Conley with Lowry backing him up and Critt getting a few minutes here and there. I mainly expect Critt to be playing the majority of his PT behind Mayo at the 2 spot.

That's the thing. I believe Lowry is too good to be a 12mpg backup PG. Problem is, he can't shoot, so it's kinda meaningless for him and Conley to play at the 1 and 2 since no one can really shoot. So he's purely limited to a PG role.

veilside23
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
If i remember correctly Wallace mentioned during the press con of oj mayo and arthur that he wouldnt spend any money into the free agency this season i think he will get a free agent come 2009 someone who can be a second or a leader to this group of crit,conley, mayo, gay, arthur, gasol ... Plus we still have another pick i expect the grizz to put up atleast 25 games hopefully with this core and probably win the top 3 picks next year my only problem would be i dont want this team to end like the hawks being in the lottery for years and picking a redundant player that kills playing time for the soon to be greats. IE childress .

I just hope that the young core can pull up a portlant thing its not impossible because i believe that gay can be the brandon roy of this team.

berraco
07-29-2008, 04:32 PM
If i remember correctly Wallace mentioned during the press con of oj mayo and arthur that he wouldnt spend any money into the free agency this season i think he will get a free agent come 2009 someone who can be a second or a leader to this group of crit,conley, mayo, gay, arthur, gasol ... Plus we still have another pick i expect the grizz to put up atleast 25 games hopefully with this core and probably win the top 3 picks next year my only problem would be i dont want this team to end like the hawks being in the lottery for years and picking a redundant player that kills playing time for the soon to be greats. IE childress .

I just hope that the young core can pull up a portlant thing its not impossible because i believe that gay can be the brandon roy of this team.

What I fear is that next year we will be again a lottery team AND no true important big man will be available by the time the Grizz have to pick. Because this is the thing we are really missing and even if Conley doesn't develop into a star PG we will not really care having Mayo, Gay and a star in the paint. That (not having a big) would be a real trouble for this team.

Grizzled Mayo
07-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Man mayo is gonna be the brandon roy or wade of this team. Givem two years they will be killin then

jailer
07-30-2008, 03:12 PM
That sounds good to me grizzled

berraco
08-05-2008, 07:27 AM
What is the bird-brain of Chris Wallace doing? There is no even a rumor about the Grizzlies being in any trade talks. Are we going to start the season again stacked in the guard position?

Kebab Stall
08-05-2008, 07:41 AM
At this point in time, I'd be happy with any kind of trade. Something needs to happen. Wallace's happy-go-lucky-we'll-let-it-come-to-us mind frame is really starting to piss me the f*ck off.

berraco
08-05-2008, 08:26 AM
This silence is killing me

Grizzled Mayo
08-05-2008, 12:12 PM
hopefully before training camp something will happen

gasolina
08-05-2008, 12:39 PM
The only other thing that had me looking forward to next season was the prospect of the Grizz having more than 1 nationally televised game.

I am so sick of seeing the Mavs, Lakers, Cavs on TV.

Mayo will do us good.

Kebab Stall
08-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Mayo does seem to be the reason that Memphis will receive any media attention at all.

berraco
08-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah, it is good also for us overseas, because it will be more easy to reach some grizz games (either by streaming or later download). Around here in Spain it is the spanish colony in Memphis what grabbed the attention. But every year it is becoming more difficult to follow some Grizz games in Spain because the spanish talent is spreading all over the NBA. Now there are four teams (Lakers, Raptors, Blazers and ours) with spanish players, and I fear the Lakers will gather more attention than anyone next season.

Grizzled Mayo
08-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Dont fear grizz faithful when my boy starts killing in the league you should be able to find lots of ways to watch the games

jailer
08-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Haha looks like we might be getting "j-selfish" grizzled mayo. I bet your happy.

Grizzled Mayo
08-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Haha looks like we might be getting "j-selfish" grizzled mayo. I bet your happy.

ha guess not!

jailer
08-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Yeah but that offer was never gonna hold up anyways. I dont think that they were serious about getting him.

Grizzled Mayo
08-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Man I read somewhere that the grizz are gonna try and sign the center off of the Iran national team. Does anyone know anything about him?

Ankel Breaker
08-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Man why do you guys keep signing guys who cant help immideately?