PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain to me how Brook Lopez was a good pick at number 10?

VCMVP1551
06-28-2008, 08:15 PM
A soft, unathletic big man with average post moves is not a great lottery pick.

He is Chris Mihm part two. Similar skillset, same size, similar athleticism ect.

Mihm was a solid player in his first 2 seasons with the Lakers at about 10 ppg and 6 or 7 rpg but not worth a lottery pick.

Lopez is so soft that he shot 46.8% against much smaller college players. He also can't deal with physical play.

From Draft Express

[QUOTE]Sometimes, though, he seems content to stay in the five to seven foot range, where his success drops considerably. Lopez is very formulaic in this range when he has his back to the basket, never trying to further back his man down once he has the ball, never putting the ball on the floor for more than one dribble, and almost always going right up into a right-handed hook shot or a turnaround jumper, often rushing his shot. Watching him in this area of the court, you get the idea that he knows exactly what he

Make It Rain
06-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Chris Mihm was actually really good before the injuries.

VCMVP1551
06-28-2008, 08:18 PM
10 and 6 with a block and an assist and average defense is not "really good". It's average.

High Potential
06-28-2008, 08:47 PM
It will be funny if Brook Lopez works his ass off to gain post moves like Olaujowan and we are all proven wrong, but sadly I don't think he will. To me, Brook Lopez's biggest problem is his lack of competitive fire.

Posterize246
06-28-2008, 09:03 PM
I would have been mad if he dropped to 16 and the sixers took him, so I know how you feel VC. I was sweatin bullets while phx was on the clock hoping they would take Robin so the sixers didn't consider him.

rknine15
06-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Can you relax and atleast wait till he plays a hand full of games in the nba before saying he isn't a good pick. Every scout saw him as the best Center in the draft. imo the Nets got a good player plus someone to fill the hole they desperately needed to fill.

Eldrunko247
06-28-2008, 09:27 PM
umm chris was solid and showed flashes of potential at times before his injury.

Make It Rain
06-28-2008, 09:37 PM
10 and 6 with a block and an assist and average defense is not "really good". It's average.
He's been injured since his 1st year. You had to have watched him play. I'm positive you just looked at his career stats and made that assumption. But he was pretty damn good. He looked like he was gonna be something. But injuries have prevented him from maximizing his potential.

Posterize246
06-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Can you relax and atleast wait till he plays a hand full of games in the nba before saying he isn't a good pick. Every scout saw him as the best Center in the draft. imo the Nets got a good player plus someone to fill the hole they desperately needed to fill.
Those scouts can't be trusted. They're the same scouts that scouted every bust to come through the league. And how the HELL does one twin average 19/8, the other averages 10/5.5...and the distance between their talent is only 5 draft picks?

VCMVP1551
06-28-2008, 09:49 PM
He's been injured since his 1st year. You had to have watched him play. I'm positive you just looked at his career stats and made that assumption. But he was pretty damn good. He looked like he was gonna be something. But injuries have prevented him from maximizing his potential.

I saw him play. I didn't see him that much until he got to Los Angeles because he spent most of his career in Cleveland who didn't have pretty much any games shown on national TV prior to Lebron being drafted.

He sure as hell wasn't "really good" at any point though. He was a role player.

rknine15
06-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Those scouts can't be trusted. They're the same scouts that scouted every bust to come through the league. And how the HELL does one twin average 19/8, the other averages 10/5.5...and the distance between their talent is only 5 draft picks?
Scouts are aware that the players could be a bust(every player could be a bust). Its a high risk high reward thing. Plus there are a lot more scouts now.

To be honest I only watched Brook play one game so I really dont know how things work in stanford. Maybe it had something to do with the minutes, maybe they were just complementing each other (one would work on scoring and the other in defense) or maybe Brook is just the better one(the one that develop quicker).

GOBB
06-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Who should they have drafted instead of Brook Lopez?

Eldrunko247
06-28-2008, 09:55 PM
i watched these guys play high school ball. these guys are the next O'Banan brothers.

Posterize246
06-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Jerryd Bayless, Anthony Randolph, Brandon Rush were all better. Even if they don't fit a need of your team, you can always trade them for something that does. Hibbert and Speights were also better big men. I don't like Koufos that much, but I have him higher than Lopez. No way I respect a 7 footer who shot under 47% in college.

Nets fan 93
06-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Exactly, Bayless was there but we have Marcus and Devin.

Those scouts can't be trusted. They're the same scouts that scouted every bust to come through the league. And how the HELL does one twin average 19/8, the other averages 10/5.5...and the distance between their talent is only 5 draft picks?Because the Suns are stupid lol

Posterize246
06-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Because the Suns are stupid lol
I think the Nets needed a pf bad, whether it be by the draft (which they already passed on that idea) or a trade. I think they could have gotten a good pf for Bayless had they drafted him. Maybe even just a decent one, along with another player and a pick. Who are the net's pf's? Yi, Swift, and now Anderson?:eek: Maybe Williams can play pf I'm not sure what he normally plays, but jeez.

ZHAKIDD532
06-28-2008, 10:25 PM
At least wait to see him play...jeez....

Posterize246
06-28-2008, 10:26 PM
At least wait to see him play...jeez....
we have

kumquat
06-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I'll say it again Hoffa PtII

highwhey
06-28-2008, 10:43 PM

Actually the Suns did good by picking him. Since Brandon Rush wasn't available anymore they picked up Robin to back up Shaq. In doing so, they addressed one of the team's biggest weakness, Defense and that presence in the post(while Shaq is resting). Plus, Robin wasn't acquired to be a 20/10 guy. I'm sure Kerr will be satisfied if he's a 10/10 guy(perhaps even lower ppg), his D is what the Suns are after.

Posterize246
06-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Actually the Suns did good by picking him. Since Brandon Rush wasn't available anymore they picked up Robin to back up Shaq. In doing so, they addressed one of the team's biggest weakness, Defense and that presence in the post(while Shaq is resting). Plus, Robin wasn't acquired to be a 20/10 guy. I'm sure Kerr will be satisfied if he's a 10/10 guy(perhaps even lower ppg), his D is what the Suns are after.
10 rebounds? no. Guy couldn't get 6 a game in college. Why does everyone think he's a rebounder all of a sudden?

Nets fan 93
06-28-2008, 11:38 PM
I think the Nets needed a pf bad, whether it be by the draft (which they already passed on that idea) or a trade. I think they could have gotten a good pf for Bayless had they drafted him. Maybe even just a decent one, along with another player and a pick. Who are the net's pf's? Yi, Swift, and now Anderson?:eek: Maybe Williams can play pf I'm not sure what he normally plays, but jeez.
Maybe??? S-Will is a PF he is 6'8" what did you think he was a center?

starface
06-29-2008, 12:22 AM
It will be funny if Brook Lopez works his ass off to gain post moves like Olaujowan

:cletus

highwhey
06-29-2008, 12:23 AM
10 rebounds? no. Guy couldn't get 6 a game in college. Why does everyone think he's a rebounder all of a sudden?
he'll get there, not the first year but he'll have some numbers. he's a 7 footer, long arms...I predict he'll get at least 5+ rebounds in his debut.

GOBB
06-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Jerryd Bayless, Anthony Randolph, Brandon Rush were all better.

Bayless = Devin Harris, and NJ spent a first rounder on Marcus Williams as well. Why draft Bayless again when Brook was probably the best player that was a big man at that position?

Anthony Randolph is nothing more than a project. He has a long ways to go.

B.Rush I cant argue there. Could replace Vince Carter. But talented big men will be picked over guards 9 out of 10 times. Pretty sure NJ would have got slammed passing a big for a guard.

Even if they don't fit a need of your team, you can always trade them for something that does.

So draft Bayless and package him away for more/better value? Eh. Maybe.

But at what pick would Brook Lopez have made sense? His brother? Not a lotto pick. But I'm just a lil lost on why Lopez isnt. He's not that bad. And last I checked who is the man in the middle for NJ?

Hibbert and Speights were also better big men.

Hibbert? Cut your wrist
Speights? May have the upside/potential, I cant say he was/is the better player right now. Lopez is better and I'm not a fan of his.

I don't like Koufos that much, but I have him higher than Lopez. No way I respect a 7 footer who shot under 47% in college.

But you respect a Center like Koufos who spends his time shooting jumpers? :confusedshrug:

bjtrdff
06-29-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm glad a "true basketball fan" who likes Vince Carter calls either Lopez soft. WTF do ppl want, one of them to get shot on court?

The Nets are a useless franchise in limbo, until LBJ passes them up in 2010, and they're stuck watching Yi jialian play basketball against a chair.

DCL
06-29-2008, 01:03 AM
varejao or lopez?

i'd take varejao 15 out of 10 times.

shaoyut
06-29-2008, 01:06 AM
he used to be ranked 3rd in the draft

tsforthrees
06-29-2008, 01:58 AM
they should have taken bayless. they were drafting too much for need. lopez might be the worst starting center in the nba next year. if your gonna draft for a starter, make sure theres one out there that will be somewhat competitive.

VCMVP1551
06-29-2008, 09:26 AM
But at what pick would Brook Lopez have made sense? His brother? Not a lotto pick. But I'm just a lil lost on why Lopez isnt. He's not that bad. And last I checked who is the man in the middle for NJ?

The reason he shouldn't have been a lottery pick is because he is soft and has limited upside. A lottery pick shouldn't be wasted on the next Chris Mihm.

Hibbert? Cut your wrist

Hibbert is better, he shoots well over 60% from the field like a big man should, he is better in the low post, he is a better passer and a better shot blocker.

Kiddlovesnets
06-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Please stop hating. He's at least way better than Yi Jianlian on the court and probably be a nice role player in the Nets.

VCMVP1551
06-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Please stop hating. He's at least way better than Yi Jianlian on the court and probably be a nice role player in the Nets.

How do you know? Yi showed some potential last year and it wouldn't shock me if he put up 12 and 6 next season.

Posterize246
06-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Bayless = Devin Harris, and NJ spent a first rounder on Marcus Williams as well. Why draft Bayless again when Brook was probably the best player that was a big man at that position?

Anthony Randolph is nothing more than a project. He has a long ways to go.

B.Rush I cant argue there. Could replace Vince Carter. But talented big men will be picked over guards 9 out of 10 times. Pretty sure NJ would have got slammed passing a big for a guard.

So draft Bayless and package him away for more/better value? Eh. Maybe.

Hibbert? Cut your wrist
Speights? May have the upside/potential, I cant say he was/is the better player right now. Lopez is better and I'm not a fan of his.

But you respect a Center like Koufos who spends his time shooting jumpers? :confusedshrug:
NJ would have got slammed for picking a guard over a big, but what about Arthur? I forgot to mention him. If this bs about a kidney problem didn't come out, he would have been drafted in this area. Hibbert isn't a stud, but he doesn't have "bust" written on his forehead either. Kind of the same deal as Rush. He's slow as hell, but who tested dead last in the 3/4 court sprint and lane agility drill? Brook Lopez. And no I never said I respected Koufos. I just had him rated higher than Lopez. If he can spend most of his time shooting jumpers and shoot over 50%, fine. Similar to Ilgauskas. If Lopez is 7 foot and shoots 46.8%, no way I put him in the lottery.

bagelred
06-29-2008, 11:10 AM
The reason it was a good pick is because, simply, it was the 10th pick in the draft. Most "locks" to be stars are long gone, so now you are looking for need or upside.

Lopez was clearly the best center in this years draft and the Nets got him. He averaged 20 points/10 rebounds a game. If he ends up being an above average center in the NBA, its a steal.

Da KO King
06-29-2008, 11:15 AM
A soft, unathletic big man with average post moves is not a great lottery pick.

He is Chris Mihm part two. Similar skillset, same size, similar athleticism ect...

So what's so great about getting a guy who'll be lucky to be as good as Chris Mihm at number 10?
You do realize that Chris Mihm was also a top 10 pick right?

Actually if you cared to look into it you'd notice that being 7 feet tall with at least average post moves and athleticism will get you drafted into the top half of the first round.

VCMVP1551
06-29-2008, 11:18 AM
You do realize that Chris Mihm was also a top 10 pick right?

Yes and would anyone call him a steal?

Actually if you cared to look into it you'd notice that being 7 feet tall with at least average post moves and athleticism will get you drafted into the top half of the first round.

I don't care, I just don't want to hear about him being a steal in the lottery when he'll probably be an average player at best.

Posterize246
06-29-2008, 11:31 AM
The reason it was a good pick is because, simply, it was the 10th pick in the draft. Most "locks" to be stars are long gone, so now you are looking for need or upside.

Lopez was clearly the best center in this years draft and the Nets got him. He averaged 20 points/10 rebounds a game. If he ends up being an above average center in the NBA, its a steal.
You can't boost his #s. He averaged 19/8 on 47% shooting. No way he gets close to 10 rebounds in the league. Lopez is a career 12 ppg,7.5 rpg guy in the nba

VCMVP1551
06-29-2008, 11:35 AM
You can't boost his #s. He averaged 19/8 on 47% shooting. No way he gets close to 10 rebounds in the league. Lopez is a career 12 ppg,7.5 rpg guy in the nba

And that's at best. At best he's the next Christian Laettner and most likely he'll be the next Chris Mihm.

I don't care if people think that was an OK pick at 10 considering team needs but I don't want to hear about how it's some great pick or a steal.

fefe
06-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Yes, Mihm was a steal in 2000!!
even at no7. he would be even bigger steal had he slipped to 10.

If I redid the draft today, he would go no5, after Mike Miller, K-Mart and Hedo (and of course Redd, but he went no40:)).

check the draft if you don't beleive:
http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_history/2000.html

Stro, Crawford, Przybilla, Dooling, Ethan Thomas, Des Mason, Q-Rich, Magloire, Mo-Pete, DeShawn Stevenson Brian Cardinal and Marko Jaric are the only competition...
This years draft may not be much stronger than 2000 was, unfortunately.

And Brook will probably get more chance to shine than Cris did.
Lopez might easily become a starter in NJ in his rookie year.

Sharas
06-29-2008, 11:38 AM
And that's at best. At best he's the next Christian Laettner and most likely he'll be the next Chris Mihm.

I don't care if people think that was an OK pick at 10 considering team needs but I don't want to hear about how it's some great pick or a steal.

seeing how half teams in the league don't have a 12-7 true center, yes he would be a steal.

VCMVP1551
06-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Yes, Mihm was a steal in 2000!!
even at no7. he would be even bigger steal had he slipped to 10.

If I redid the draft today, he would go no5, after Mike Miller, K-Mart and Hedo (and of course Redd, but he went no40:)).

check the draft if you don't beleive:
http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_history/2000.html

Stro, Crawford, Przybilla, Dooling, Ethan Thomas, Des Mason, Q-Rich, Magloire, Mo-Pete, DeShawn Stevenson Brian Cardinal and Marko Jaric are the only competition...
This years draft may not be much stronger than 2000 was, unfortunately.

And Brook will probably get more chance to shine than Cris did.
Lopez might easily become a starter in NJ in his rookie year.

Chris Mihm wasn't hands down better than 6 other players. He was about average as far as even that draft was concerned. And certainly a Chris Mihm type player wouldn't be called a steal in a draft like the 2008 one.

seeing how half teams in the league don't have a 12-7 true center, yes he would be a steal.

Do I need to list all of the teams that have 12 and 7 centers? Because easily more than half of the teams have them.

Skywalker
06-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Why do Brook and Robin talk like they are around some serious hot chicks or something? All deep you know? Especially Brook. Hoffa part 2 sounds good F**K NJ. The best center in the draft will turn out to be one of those potential packed big men McGee, Jordan, Speights, Ajinca (this is my pick), Jawai (homer, but they do call him Aussie Shaq)

yeh

Da KO King
06-29-2008, 11:44 AM

I don't care, I just don't want to hear about him being a steal in the lottery when he'll probably be an average player at best.
So now the point goes from you wanting to know "how Brook Lopez was a good pick at number 10" to you wanting to know if Lopez was "a steal in the lottery"?!?

Stop moving the goalpost and maybe you'll get a real answer. :confusedshrug:

VCMVP1551
06-29-2008, 11:47 AM
So now the point goes from you wanting to know "how Brook Lopez was a good pick at number 10" to you wanting to know if Lopez was "a steal in the lottery"?!?

Stop moving the goalpost and maybe you'll get a real answer. :confusedshrug:

Yes answer how he was a "good" or a above average pick at number 10 in a deep draft.

I'd love to hear that answer.

By the way about 17 or 18 teams have centers who can give you 12 and 7.

fefe
06-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Chris Mihm wasn't hands down better than 6 other players. He was about average as far as even that draft was concerned. And certainly a Chris Mihm type player wouldn't be called a steal in a draft like the 2008 one.

list 6 players that he is not hands down better (same level is good too, since you take the big man, so Jaric, DesMason types wont work.)

Do I need to list all of the teams that have 12 and 7 centers? Because easily more than half of the teams have them.
Yes please! list them (only true centers please, no 6-9 guys, like Horfold)

Sharas
06-29-2008, 11:48 AM
whatever, these days 12-7 center is more than worth the 10th pick if you aren't passing on a potential all star (and i do think he could turn out to be better than that)
al horford got drafted 3rd. shelden williams and tyrus thomas went fourth. rafael araujo went 8th. channing frye too. ike diogu ninth. patrick o'bryant 12th.
big men are just much harder to find than perimeter players, and therefore more valuable. it's just the logic of the market. the demand is simply bigger than the supply. 12-7 big men get salaries in the 7-9 millions range nowadays.

the best player on the board was most probably bayless, but the're set at the PG so they passed. don't really know why you don't like the pick, especially considering he may have gone as high as third pick. it's more than decent value pick even if he turns out just alright.

Skywalker
06-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Well I think he was a good pick because NJ needed bigs and the highest rated oen in the draft fell to them at number 10.

THE HIGHEST RATED BIG MAN IN THE DRAFT WAS AVAILABLE AT NUMBER 10.

Past highest rated big men included Okafor, Shaq, Bargnani, Kwame, Webber, Joe Smith, Yao, Kandi man, Kenyon, Oden, Bogut, Brand, Duncan, Milicic, Camby

ya know? its 50-50 hell be solid. But if he busts I cant say Id be mad. Raps and Wolves have had their share

fefe
06-29-2008, 11:52 AM

Ok then don't have to list them.

So you say 12-13 is not about half the league??

taking a guy at 10, who might be better then 12-13 starting centers in the league is a very very good pick.

Posterize246
06-29-2008, 11:55 AM
I can't believe this turned into a Chris Mihm lovefest. A guy whose best season was 9.8 ppg/6.7 rpg. Spare me

mswank
06-29-2008, 11:56 AM
bust.

fefe
06-29-2008, 11:57 AM
I can't believe this turned into a Chris Mihm lovefest. A guy whose best season was 9.8 ppg/6.7 rpg. Spare me

Nobody said Mihm is a good player. Only that he was a very good pick at no7 in 2000.
That's why Lopez was a great pick at 10...

Da KO King
06-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Yes answer how he was a "good" or a above average pick at number 10 in a deep draft.

I'd love to hear that answer.

Again go look at recent draft history. It's become the norm for 7' centers with at least average athleticism and post moves to be drafted in the top half of the first round.

It's really that simple. Whether or not Lopez will stink is irrelevant. His draft placement is in the range you would expect him to be selected.

VCMVP1551
06-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Nobody said Mihm is a good player. Only that he was a very good pick at no7 in 2000.
That's why Lopez was a great pick at 10...

How so considering this is a MUCH better draft and there is no guarantee Lopez will even be as good as Mihm.

list 6 players that he is not hands down better (same level is good too, since you take the big man, so Jaric, DesMason types wont work.)

6 players from the 2000 draft that Mihm isn't hands down better than?

Easy

Kenyon Martin, Michael Redd, Mike Miller, Jamal Crawford, Hedo Turkoglu Joel Pryzbilla and even guys like Darius Miles and Quentin Richardson had seasons as good or better than Mihm.

There are plenty of scrubs who are 7 feet and have decent skills who are scrubs. Lopez is painfully slow, doesn't have a good vertical and he is as soft as a 7 footer can be.

Again go look at recent draft history. It's become the norm for 7' centers with at least average athleticism and post moves to be drafted in the top half of the first round.

It's really that simple. Whether or not Lopez will stink is irrelevant. His draft placement is in the range you would expect him to be selected.

Well if I don't see him being anything above a decent player and see a good chance he'll be a scrub then what's wrong with me saying I don't see how he's a good pick at 10?

Posterize246
06-29-2008, 12:05 PM

That only gives a reason why he was picked at 10, not a "good" reason why he was picked at 10 like VC asked.

Da KO King
06-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Well if I don't see him being anything above a decent player and see a good chance he'll be a scrub then what's wrong with me saying I don't see how he's a good pick at 10?
Because you're talking about the future without even letting him play Summer League ball let alone real NBA ball. At this point only thing that can be discussed logically and fairly is his draft placement versus his ranking as a prospect.

wang4three
06-29-2008, 12:16 PM
I didn't like the pick, but Bill Cartwright is an absolute fantastic big man coach. I'm sure he'll find a way to patch up Brook's holes somewhat.

It's not a horrible pick. Not a great one with Bayless being available, but Thorn always drafted players who have high perceived value. I don't think we'll regret the pick anymore than Antoine Wright over Hakim Warrick.

fefe
06-29-2008, 12:16 PM
We won't know for another few years, if he was a good pick or not.

I think we did explain pretty well, why people think he was a good pick at 10:

-was projected top3
-best big in the draft
-number 10 is not a high pick, and even if his ceiling is Chris Mihm (like the op suggested), he is still worth a no10 pick in a weak draft.
-he fills a need for new jersey, Lopez will get PT from the start (Bayless wouldn't)
-Nets need cap space for 2010, and taking Lopez will let them not have to sign Krstic. (they gave him a 2,7 mill qualifying offer, but probably wont match if someone offers anything close to MLE. If Krstic played well this year for the 2,7 he would warrant even more next summer.)

So was this a good explanation?

Da KO King
06-29-2008, 12:17 PM
That only gives a reason why he was picked at 10, not a "good" reason why he was picked at 10 like VC asked.
The wording of his subject is not the same as the tone of his initial post.

The initial post questioned why Brook Lopez was regarded as a good pick in the top 10. Questioning why New Jersey would do it was not done.

VCMVP1551
06-29-2008, 12:57 PM
I didn't like the pick, but Bill Cartwright is an absolute fantastic big man coach. I'm sure he'll find a way to patch up Brook's holes somewhat.

Yeah but can you teach toughness? That's one of my biggest problems with Brook. If he isn't tough enough to dominate college big men inside and shoot over 50% then I don't know if he'll be tough enough to be the low post player the Nets need.

ChuckOakley
06-29-2008, 01:31 PM
I think people are forgetting a couple things about Brook...

The kid is 20 years old coming off of his Sophmore year, only Freshman have more "potential".

Stanford was expected to suck. Brook was the one of the only offensive options on the team and was constantly double teamed, hurting his FG%.

It's the #10 pick... the Nets both filled a need and took arguably the BPA or the best big BPA. I wouldn't have minded Bayless, but Brook is still a good pick.

Starting calibur centers are rare, and the Nets did not arguably have one given Boone's limitations and Krstic's injury history and FA status. The rest of the bigs on the Nets are PFs. Brook is a rare "true" center.

All say and done the Nets added 3 players that combined for around 60 points and 25 rebounds in college... not a bad draft.

bagelred
06-29-2008, 01:33 PM
With the 3 draft picks, the Nets will now have NINE players on their roster who have been with the team less than 12 months. Actually only VC and Nenad will have been with the team more than 2 years.

Now THAT's an overhaul.

VCMVP1551
06-29-2008, 01:34 PM
I think people are forgetting a couple things about Brook...

The kid is 20 years old coming off of his Sophmore year, only Freshman have more "potential".

Stanford was expected to suck. Brook was the one of the only offensive options on the team and was constantly double teamed, hurting his FG%.

It's the #10 pick... the Nets both filled a need and took arguably the BPA or the best big BPA. I wouldn't have minded Bayless, but Brook is still a good pick.

Starting calibur centers are rare, and the Nets did not arguably have one given Boone's limitations and Krstic's injury history and FA status. The rest of the bigs on the Nets are PFs. Brook is a rare "true" center.

All say and done the Nets added 3 players that combined for around 60 points and 25 rebounds in college... not a bad draft.

True centers shouldn't shoot under 47% against much smaller players regardless. I don't care how much he's doubled. There is no reason why a big man who was picked in the lottery couldn't have shot 50% or better.

ChuckOakley
06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
True centers shouldn't shoot under 47% against much smaller players regardless. I don't care how much he's doubled. There is no reason why a big man who was picked in the lottery couldn't have shot 50% or better.

The Pac10 waa arguable the best conference in the country last season, especially for big men:

USC
Cal
Arizona
UCLA
Stanford
Washington State

[QUOTE]

VCMVP1551
06-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Regardless the players were smaller than brook and only 1 or 2 of them had legit NBA talent so for him to shoot under 47% is pathetic for a lottery pick.

ChuckOakley
06-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Regardless the players were smaller than brook and only 1 or 2 of them had legit NBA talent so for him to shoot under 47% is pathetic for a lottery pick.

Dude whatever.. I almost look forward to the day VC is traded so his fair-weather fans can leave the Nets bandwagon.

VCMVP1551
06-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Dude whatever.. I almost look forward to the day VC is traded so his fair-weather fans can leave the Nets bandwagon.

I look forward to the day when retards who try to justify a 7 footer shooting under 47% against smaller D-League level players just give up and end their life. Seriously there is no way to justify that, big men are supposed to dominate smaller players not get pushed around by them and shoot poor %.

Seriously, what bandwagon? A team that won 34 games last year and 41 the year before? A team that missed the playoffs in the East?

statman32
06-29-2008, 02:18 PM
I look forward to the day when retards who try to justify a 7 footer shooting under 47% against smaller D-League level players just give up and end their life. Seriously there is no way to justify that, big men are supposed to dominate smaller players not get pushed around by them and shoot poor %.

Seriously, what bandwagon? A team that won 34 games last year and 41 the year before? A team that missed the playoffs in the East?
Which Pac-10 teams have D-League level big men?

ChuckOakley
06-29-2008, 02:19 PM

No, the Nets have VC bandwagon, where the fans think the team revolves around VC and getting him a ring now, despite how unrealistic it may be.

And I'm trying to at least educate you on one stat you seem fixated on, while the reality is Brook Lopez was a good pick for the Nets on so many levels. Maybe you have unrealistic expectations for a #10 pick or a young Center?

exaqtion
06-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Jerryd Bayless, Anthony Randolph, Brandon Rush were all better. Even if they don't fit a need of your team, you can always trade them for something that does. Hibbert and Speights were also better big men. I don't like Koufos that much, but I have him higher than Lopez. No way I respect a 7 footer who shot under 47% in college.

I disagree with that, anthony randolph way to soft, brandon rush only has a shot, nets dont need another scorer, dey got harris carter, hibbert is sooooooo slow and sucks, speights is alright, bayless...they dont need another pg. They have boone and kristic...aka "WHO"?

They needed a center badly, main point, he might not be as good but he can def. evolve into a better player then boone and kristic. You guys really havent gave him a chance, but thats just my opinion...By the way hey waz good im new lol

VCMVP1551
06-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Which Pac-10 teams have D-League level big men?

Most college players can't make the NBA. Only the best of them do. The NBA is the best of the best so if Brook shoots under 47% against those guys then what do you think he'll do against the best in the world in the NBA.

Name big men in the pac-10 that are legit NBA starters or key bench players?

No, the Nets have VC bandwagon, where the fans think the team revolves around VC and getting him a ring now, despite how unrealistic it may be.

You honestly think I believe the team can win a ring now? They'll be lucky to win 40-42 games.

And I'm trying to at least educate you on one stat you seem fixated on, while the reality is Brook Lopez was a good pick for the Nets on so many levels. Maybe you have unrealistic expectations for a #10 pick or a young Center?

I'm fixated on it because it's pathetic, 46.8 FG%? The Nets need a big man who is reliable inside.

ChuckOakley
06-29-2008, 04:30 PM
dhdfhdfhdfhdfahdfhdhdhhlpofyuoyulk

tsforthrees
06-29-2008, 07:40 PM

qft

ChuckOakley
06-29-2008, 08:33 PM

:oldlol:

Sorry, I guess that's what happens when I stay logged in at my cousin's house and his kids are bored. (or maybe he was)

ChuckOakley
06-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Most college players can't make the NBA. Only the best of them do. The NBA is the best of the best so if Brook shoots under 47% against those guys then what do you think he'll do against the best in the world in the NBA.

Name big men in the pac-10 that are legit NBA starters or key bench players?

You honestly think I believe the team can win a ring now? They'll be lucky to win 40-42 games.

I'm fixated on it because it's pathetic, 46.8 FG%? The Nets need a big man who is reliable inside.

Allright.. first off, sorry VC, didn't mean to make the original insult about fair-weather fans... I'm having a male-PMS day today I think. The Nets need as many fans as possible (moreso at the arena) and given the wave of Yi fans about to hit I should be ready for it.

But back to the topic at hand...
The Pac10 was the TOUGHEST conference and big man conference in college with the Lopez', Kevin Love, Devon Hardin, Ryan Anderson, etc...
And as this article points out POSSIBLY THE BEST THE CONFERENCE HAS EVER BEEN.
Think of the other names... Mayo, Bayless, Budinger, Collisson.... the list goes on and on.
College basketball in tough divisions can be highly competitive and quality ball.

http://www.pe.com/sports/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_pac-10_prev.347ad0e.html

"This league is the best it's ever been," UCLA coach Ben Howland said. "This league has the best players in the country, top to bottom. For sure, there are 10 to 12 first-round picks in this conference out of the starting 50, probably more. There's no weakness anywhere."

Their arrival signaled the onset of a defensive shift in the league: Five teams are holding their opponents under 40 percent shooting this year, and programs that were once perennial Pac-10 lightweights are now NCAA tournament contenders.

I feel like no matter what, even though you asked for an explantion for the FG%, nothing can sway your opinion on why this was still a good pick.
I think you are fixated too much on it.

I'm also psyched about Ryan Anderson

Sophomore (2007-08): Earned first-team All-Pac-10 honors after becoming the seventh Cal player in the last 15 years to lead the conference in scoring (21.1 ppg) ... also third in rebounding with 9.9 per game ... named a second-team All-American by The Sporting News ... reached double figures in every game and scored at least 20 points 18 times ... had 30 points or more in four games - career-high 36 at Nevada, 33 at Washington, 32 vs. Arizona State and 30 against Arizona ... named Pac-10 Player of the week Dec. 3 and Feb. 4 ... also selected National Player of the Week by espn.com, The Sporting News and foxsports.com Feb. 4 when he led Cal to a pair of road wins at Washington State and Washington and averaged 30.0 ppg and 12.5 rpg ... voted to the Golden Bear Classic all-tournament team after finishing with 27 points and 12 rebounds vs. North Dakota State in the title game ... finished with 22 points and 16 rebounds in a win over Washington in the Pac-10 Tournament, getting 16 points and 13 boards in the second half ... had 26 points in the NIT opener vs. New Mexico ... named team MVP following the season.

21.1 PPG
49% FG%
41% 3pt
87% FT%
9.9 RPG

And he just turned 20.

ChuckOakley
06-29-2008, 08:57 PM
double post

ChuckOakley
06-29-2008, 09:01 PM
My prediction for Brook's peak:

16 PPG
9 RPG
1.5 BPG
48% FG

I have no idea how he'll do next season, given Frank's dislike of rookies, bigs, and good decision making.

Lotsadimes
06-29-2008, 09:02 PM

I'd say for the numbers centers put up these days it's slightly above average. Really good is a stretch but I still think those numbers would be a tad better than average.

Lotsadimes
06-29-2008, 09:10 PM
My prediction for Brook's peak:

16 PPG
9 RPG
1.5 BPG
48% FG

I have no idea how he'll do next season, given Frank's dislike of rookies, bigs, and good decision making.

I don't think going number 10 in a draft not considered one of the great drafts of our time those numbers would be bad nor do I think many expect more from him. I see his peak Brad Miller but he could also be Eric Montross.

DatZNasty
06-29-2008, 10:24 PM
I saw him at the airport in Dallas on Friday standing there with his friend and holding an NBA basketball trying to practice spinning it on his finger, he sucks at it. I guess it was Brook, it was the one with short hair

wang4three
06-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah but can you teach toughness? That's one of my biggest problems with Brook. If he isn't tough enough to dominate college big men inside and shoot over 50% then I don't know if he'll be tough enough to be the low post player the Nets need.

I don't see why not. Yao went from an unaggressive twig to being a fairly aggressive supposed trash talker big man. His rebounding improved too... So I don't see why not. Now I will never say Brook will be like Yao, but I do not think you cannot change your attitude if you have the right ambition. I see it all the time, from my friends to my co-workers. If you want to succeed you'll need the right attitude. It's up to Brook to decide that and nothing he has shown me indicates that he's lazy or unwilling to improve.

ChuckOakley
06-30-2008, 12:07 AM
I don't see why not. Yao went from an unaggressive twig to being a fairly aggressive supposed trash talker big man. His rebounding improved too... So I don't see why not. Now I will never say Brook will be like Yao, but I do not think you cannot change your attitude if you have the right ambition. I see it all the time, from my friends to my co-workers. If you want to succeed you'll need the right attitude. It's up to Brook to decide that and nothing he has shown me indicates that he's lazy or unwilling to improve.

I agree... I think he was having too much fun banging chicks and partying at Stanford than worrying about his FG%... He'll be fine, he just needs to get serious, which I think he can do.

White Chocolate
06-30-2008, 12:56 AM

I wouldn't say he was really good, but he was certainly decent.

PejaNowitzki
06-30-2008, 03:38 AM
I think that Robin Lopez will turn out to be the better player by far. Robin has guts and drive, Brook always looks like some semi-emo kid that does the Carlton dance when nobody is watching.

PejaNowitzki
06-30-2008, 03:40 AM

Robin Lopez averaged a double-double while his brother was out. If you watched Robin he spent a lot of time chasing guys around on the perimeter defensively. His offensive game sucks, but there is not as much distance between these two as some claim.

PejaNowitzki
06-30-2008, 03:46 AM

It's not a horrible pick. Not a great one with Bayless being available, but Thorn always drafted players who have high perceived value. I don't think we'll regret the pick anymore than Antoine Wright over Hakim Warrick.

Um....Bill Cartwright is now working for the Suns.

wang4three
06-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Um....Bill Cartwright is now working for the Suns.
I was unaware of that. Well ****.

VCMVP1551
06-30-2008, 10:58 AM

Good point with Yao but in Yao's case he had Ewing, Mutombo and Hakeem teaching him. None of those guys were soft players(although some use to wrongfully accuse Ewing of being soft). There was also more importance put on Yao becoming a tougher player, everyone was talking about that in his first 2 seasons. That's because he was the number 1 overall pick, 7'6" and expected to become the franchise player.

I guess Brook could improve his toughness but as of right now he's still a soft player as far as I'm concerned because that's how I saw him when he was playing in college. I'll be skeptical of him being a tough player until I see him do it in the NBA.

ChuckOakley
06-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Hey VC,

A couple things that might make you feel better.
I was rewatching some of the draft and Bilas pointed out something interesting...

All of Brook's games last year were against either Pac-10 competition or in the NCAA tournament.

Again the Pac 10 was the best conference in basketball and aruably the best it has been ever.

5 of the top 11 picks were from the Pac-10
12 players selected overall.

The other thing I find interesting is that Brook keeps talking about how he needs to play more like his brother Robin, which means tougher.

Sure he's a clown but I like this kid and his personality.

baseketball4life
06-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Brook Lopez is meh

eventually maybe a 12 ppg 7 rpg guy... he's a lot like Eddy Curry... atleast from what i see

also, im so glad the warriors got Anthony Randolph..

Randolph+Wright+Ellis what a future

Ellis is pretty much now though with 21 ppg 6 rpg 4 apg on 53% fg 80% ft last year

baseketball4life
06-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Hey VC,

I was rewatching some of the draft and Bilas pointed out something interesting...

All of Brook's games last year were against either Pac-10 competition or in the NCAA tournament.

Again the Pac 10 was the best conference in basketball and aruably the best it has been ever.

The other thing I find interesting is that Brook keeps talking about how he needs to play more like his brother Robin, which means tougher.

i second this... he didn't get to face all those cupcake non conference retards

could have panned to 20/10/3 blks if he played those ****ters

VCMVP1551
06-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Hey VC,

Yeah I realize the Pac-10 is great for college but how many of those players drafted were big men, much less all-star level big men? He didn't play well against UCLA who had the big men who went the highest in the draft.

In Stanford's 3 games vs UCLA they went 0-3 and Brook averaged 15.3 ppg on just 36% shooting. His 9.0 rpg weren't even that impressive for 36 mpg but that shooting % is horrendous.

That's just why I'll be skeptical of him until he plays in the NBA. And other than the FG% which I've pointed out, his 8 rpg and 2 bpg were good but not dominant.

I just see a Chris Mihm type player and not the post player the Nets really need. If he can get tougher than this is a good pick but that remains to be seen.

G-train
06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
I dont see how Lopez is like Mihm at all, except that they are not black.

Mihm is more of a mobile well rounded role player. In the NBA, Lopez will be used like a Diop with a bit more offense.

Posterize246
06-30-2008, 08:07 PM
I dont see how Lopez is like Mihm at all, except that they are not black.

Mihm is more of a mobile well rounded role player. In the NBA, Lopez will be used like a Diop with a bit more offense.
like diop? how in the world is he similar to diop?:confusedshrug: