PDA

View Full Version : Most unbreakable Jordan record?

nba_on_nbc
07-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Obviously Jordan has too many records but out of these below records, which do you think is the most unbreakable of all?

-Most scoring titles

Lax4422Chik1342
07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
They said the same things about the records set by Wilton Norman Chamberlain.

TruthKGRay3412
07-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Records are meant to be broken.

Manute for Ever!
07-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Records are meant to be broken.

Co-sign (and I'm a huge Jordan fan)

nba_on_nbc
07-01-2008, 12:43 PM

And whoever said that about Wilt was right for the most part. Not all but some of his amazing records like the 50ppg season and 100 point game still stands.

So, the question is which of these Jordan records could stand for at least 30-40 years, just like Wilt's records.

Collie
07-01-2008, 12:49 PM
The playoff scoring average is something that will stand for a long long long time.

elz
07-01-2008, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=nba_on_nbc]Obviously Jordan has too many records but out of these below records, which do you think is the most unbreakable of all?

-Most scoring titles

Jimmy2k8
07-01-2008, 12:52 PM
The only Jordan records I see not being broken are the 6 Final MVP awards and the 10 scoring titles.

Wilt's 100 point game is going to be a nba record for life, no way in hell another player scores 100. And I hate to say this, but with current players today, its just isn't possible.

guy
07-01-2008, 12:54 PM
I'd go with 6 Finals MVPs. I would've went with the 10 scoring titles, but great scorers come around more often then great winners. Winning 11 scoring titles or 7 championships would be surprising, but the more surprising thing would be if someone won that many titles and won every Finals MVP to go along with it. Kareem, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Shaq all have won 3+ titles but none of them won every single Finals MVP.

Emeka Okafor xD
07-01-2008, 12:54 PM
The only Jordan records I see not being broken are the 6 Final MVP awards and the 10 scoring titles.

Wilt's 100 point game is going to be a nba record for life, no way in hell another player scores 100. And I hate to say this, but with current players today, its just isn't possible.

if kobes 81 point game went into double OT

Interminator
07-01-2008, 12:55 PM
All those records could be broken if LeBron develops a perimeter shot.

Manute for Ever!
07-01-2008, 12:55 PM

Doesn't mean they wont shoot for it :ohwell:

Manute for Ever!
07-01-2008, 12:56 PM
if kobes 81 point game went into double OT

...but it didn't

dr8ked
07-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Lebron might break the scoring titles, Just don't know about the MVP titles though.. Thats a tuff act to follow.

Interminator
07-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Lebron might break the scoring titles, Just don't know about the MVP titles though.. Thats a tuff act to follow.
LeBron would have to have as good of a team as Jordan did but I don't know if thats even possible to have LeBron and put that good of a team around him in the NBA in this day and age.

If LeBron gets a perimeter shot those individual numbers could be broken,I don't know about the 6 Finals MVP's or the Finals scoring record though.

Kebab Stall
07-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I don't see the career scoring average or the career playoff scoring average being broken for a long time. And I don't see the single series average being broken for a long time either.

Collie
07-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Lebron's jumpshot is a big if though... and if it happens when his athleticism starts to wane, then he might not be able to surpass the scoring average. Remember that Jordan had ridiculous scoring numbers like 37 ppg and 35 ppg and he was productive well into his late 30's. Hell, he was putting up 20 ppg at 40. And his scoring dipped as he grew older. This was a guy who averaged 32.3 prior to his first retirement. Lebron now stands at 26.7...

The 11 scoring titles depends on whether Kobe gets a few more in the next few years. I don't see him being a scoring leader in his mid 30's. and 11 is a LOT. It's possible but highly unlikely.

nba_on_nbc
07-01-2008, 01:04 PM
6 Finals MVP was my second pick. But still I think 11 scoring titles is harder because no matter how great a scorer you are, there are a lot of factors like injuries, trades, coach changes etc. etc. It's damn hard.

There's a couple that could easily get smashed if players put their minds to it.
All the avg's can get smashed by quite a few players.
Lebron Kobe or Wade come to mind easily

All the averages could get smashed "easily"? I don't think you understand how hard it is to maintain 30+ppg throughout your career. Again, you could be a great scorer but there's the rookie year, injuries, dominant teammates and of course the last years of the career where scoring dips a lot. And there's a lot more. It's much harder than most people realize I think.

And you say Kobe? :) I think you need to check his career and playoff averages. He needs to average like 40-45ppg a game for the next 6-7 years just to challange those averages. But maybe you'd say he could do it if "he puts his mind" to it. :)

danumber88
07-01-2008, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=nba_on_nbc]Obviously Jordan has too many records but out of these below records, which do you think is the most unbreakable of all?

-Most scoring titles

guy
07-01-2008, 01:21 PM
There not impossible by a long shot.

There's a couple that could easily get smashed if players put their minds to it.

No some of the career averages for certain players are nearly impossible to reach. At this stage of Kobe's career there's basically no chance to reach Jordan's career averages. Right now for his career, Kobe averages 25 ppg in the regular season and 24.3 ppg in the playoffs. So lets say he's exactly at the half-way point of his career regular season and playoffs, which he's probably well over that but lets just say he is, he'd have to average about 35 ppg in the regular season and about 43 ppg in the playoffs for the rest of his career, which would be the next 12 years in this scenario, just to MATCH Jordan. Thats not happening.

Dwyane Wade averages about 24 ppg in the regular season and 25.3 ppg in the playoffs. He's well below Jordan's averages, and he does have alot more time left then Kobe, but he's injury prone and he's just not as great of a scorer. For example, so far in 5 seasons, none of his regular season scoring averages have eclipsed any of Jordan's scoring averages that he played close to a full season except for his years with the Wizards.

Lebron has the best shot in the league right now. But he's still has a long way to go, cause he is well below Jordan, averaging about 27 ppg for both playoffs and regular season. Obviously he has a great chance to improve his scoring, but we all know its not his game to be as aggressive of a scorer as Jordan was.

I'm sure someone will come along and surpass Jordan's career averages but its highly doubtful its anybody in the league currently. Its going to have to be someone that does it consistently from the start of their career.

Da_Realist
07-01-2008, 02:40 PM
The 866 double digit record would be the most difficult to break IMO.. And is one of the main reason I think people are stupid when comparing Kobe's scoring to Jordan's. MJ never had a truly off-scoring game in his entire career.

How's this for consistency? From 1986-1998 (I could find no data for the 85-86 season) while he was a Chicago Bull, MJ had only 24 games where he shot 30% or less. This includes the playoffs.

And he never shot below 30% for the 1990-91 season at all.

By contrast, Kobe has already had 76 games where he 30% or less.

AItheAnswer3
07-01-2008, 02:42 PM
This is the only record that will be broken:
Most consecutive games scoring in double figures

lilojmayo
07-01-2008, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE]Obviously Jordan has too many records but out of these below records, which do you think is the most unbreakable of all?

-Most scoring titles

lilojmayo
07-01-2008, 03:04 PM
add highest career PER Average on their also

jordan average 27.91 per for Career

Lebron James is averaging: 24.42 per
Kobe Bryant:23.39per

elz
07-01-2008, 03:07 PM
@GUY

It's not that hard

If Kobe didn't play next to Shaq all those yrs he'd have it
Easily
I'm confident Lebron will as well.

Eventually some young kid whose durable enough is gonna hit the league and
take it by storm

Even Carmelo has an outside chance.

Scorers are not hard to come by! Every few years some new SG or SF comes along and and drop points in buckets!

Only challenge is the durability!
We have active players who are extremely high on the overall scoring numbers.
Numbers that back in the day looked large, get eclipsed all the time.
It will happen and sooner than you think.
Some of the players you take for granted now would have been Mega stars 10 to 15 years ago.
Eventually some unique player is going to come along with skills and physical gifts that will make him damn near unguardable. And those records will fall.
I thought Mike was the end all be all growing up.

Kobe isn't a better player than Mike but if he wanted to or had to avg 40 he could easily!
He's actually a better shooter emphasis on Shooter! than Mike ever was!

And Lebron is a freak of nature!

Only Wilts Records are truely out of reach! and some of Oscar Robinson's

sixerfan82
07-01-2008, 03:11 PM
I think of the ones listed, the career PPG might be the last to be broken in the terms we are using here.

For someone to AVG 30.2(?) PPG they'd have to be up around 27 at the very least for the start of their career(i'm being generous here). The last rookies to score remotely close to that were

Lebron James 20.9
Allen Iverson 23.5

Now granted LBJ's has gone up roughly 7pts since he's been a pro, but he's been (by ISH standards) cleveland's ONLY option. Once he has someone to defer to, the thought would be that his average would decline *some*. Still, he'd have to average about 2500pts a season here on out to outdo jordan

Iverson on the other hand has had 2 declined years in PPG since joining denver, from 30.1 to 24.8 to 26.4. Yes he probably could put up the numbers to do it, but i doubt it while he's in denver

Just to add to it, between the 2 of them they have 5 scoring titles, 4 of which belong to iverson

BIGSHOT
07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Kobe>jordan

sixerfan82
07-01-2008, 03:18 PM
i forgot to add,

[QUOTE]Most consecutive games scoring in double figures

Loki
07-01-2008, 03:25 PM
In Jordan's era no one could avg 30 there's quite a few players that can do that now!

:oldlol:

and double figures are not that difficult for a franchise player.
Im confident there's some others in striking distance or on pace to it.

Uhh, no. That's actually the most difficult one. Too bad Jordan had 8 points in a game where he was pulled early because he was recovering from a broken foot (1986) or else it would have ben about 950 consecutive games.

lilojmayo
07-01-2008, 03:29 PM
@GUY

It's not that hard

Easily

take it by storm

Scorers are not hard to come by! Every few years some new SG or SF comes along and and drop points in buckets!

Some of the players you take for granted now would have been Mega stars 10 to 15 years ago.
Eventually some unique player is going to come along with skills and physical gifts that will make him damn near unguardable. And those records will fall.

Kobe isn't a better player than Mike but if he wanted to or had to avg 40 he could easily!

again stop being ignorant with all those if this happened or if that happened well if jordan didnt come back for the wizards his career ppg would have been 32.4pg which would be untouchable 30.12 is very very i stress the world unlikely just because rookies dont average that much i mean if your not averaging at least 24ppg as a rookie you really have no shot

Thats why OJ Mayo will take over as GOAT when he averages 25+ ppg this year as a rookie

Loki
07-01-2008, 03:38 PM

:oldlol:

From beyond 23 feet, sure.

This clown reminds me of something MaxFly once said when I was discussing what a player would have to do to actually surpass Jordan. One of the criteria was "win at least 7 scoring titles." Note that I didn't say 10 like Jordan had, or 11, which would ACTUALLY be better than what he did, or even 7 straight. Just 7. And MaxFly insisted that since "everyone can score today" it's not as important to get scoring titles, and someone would only need like 3 or 4. That was a hysterical argument because, much like elz, he never asks himself why all of a sudden "everyone can score." And regardless of those reasons, the scoring title demonstrates both dominance over one's peers (which one can't simply assume unless one actually DOES it) as well as incredible stamina. You also have to know how to integrate your high scoring into a team game if you're going to win both scoring titles and rings, which many of these players today don't know how to do yet.

How much easier would it have been if Jordan could have scaled back his production and actually won as much as he did, and then have people claim that he "could have" done it if he wanted to? It's harder to actually go out and do something year after year than to simply ASSERT that one could have done something. Because it takes dedication, stamina, skill, and will.

crisoner
07-01-2008, 03:39 PM
LeBron might break all of them.

Loki
07-01-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't see the career scoring average or the career playoff scoring average being broken for a long time. And I don't see the single series average being broken for a long time either.

Just FYI, that's not the highest single series average, just the highest NBA Finals average. The highest series average is Jerry West at 46.3 ppg. Jordan's highest is 45.2 ppg, and he has 4 playoff series averaging 45 ppg or better.

guy
07-01-2008, 03:41 PM
@GUY

It's not that hard

Easily

take it by storm

Ok, first off I was under the impression that you meant those players still have a chance to do it. Either way, even without Shaq, Kobe couldn't have done it. First of all, he's not as good of a scorer Jordan, and if you disagree, lets just agree to disagree, cause we don't need to turn this into a Kobe-Jordan debate. But the bigger reason is because Kobe came out of high school, while Jordan came out after his junior year and averaged 28 ppg his rookie year. Even without Shaq, straight out HS Kobe is only going to average 15-20 ppg at the most for his first 2-3 years, so that will drag his career average down.

And durability is not the issue. Its consistency. Durability would be for total scoring, while consistency is for scoring average. I don't see how you say its easy. Sure if someone totally focused on that a bunch of players from every era could've done it. Jordan could've easily 40 ppg if he wanted to just like you say Kobe could've. But no player is going to do that cause they know its not the right way to play, or the coach just won't allow it.

yeesterbunny
07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Out of all those, I believe the hardest one to achieve is the 6 finals MVP. First of all, the player cant slack off during regular season so he can get to the playoffs. He has to fight through elite teams to get to the nba final. Then his team has to beat the best team of the other conference, or be the best player in the series to win the Finals MVP. More often than not, the Finals MVP goes to the best player on the winning team.

To get to 6 final appearances and winning all 6 Finals MVP award is the toughest task out there I think.

sixerfan82
07-01-2008, 03:43 PM

what kind of bull**** is this? i guess he didn't want to score in the finals?

ThaRegul8r
07-02-2008, 03:37 AM

And they were right. Only a small fraction of his records have been surpassed (most scoring titles, all-time scoring record, highest points-per-game average in a career). The majority still stand (e.g., highest scoring average in a season, most points in a game, most rebounds per game in a season, most rebounds in a game, most rebounds in a career, highest rebound per game average in a career, most consecutive field goals without a miss, highest field-goal percentage in a season, most minutes in a season, most consecutive complete games in a season, never fouling out of a game in his career, most 60-point games in a career, most 50-point games in a career, most 40-point games in a career, most consecutive 50-point games in a season, most consecutive 40-point games in a season, etc., etc., etc). He has his own wing of the record book. When people talk about records sometimes they talk about the "non-Wilt" record, or "other than Wilt," because it's a given he's #1. So I don't understand the above statement.

highwhey
07-02-2008, 04:52 AM
being MJ.

kidachi
07-02-2008, 05:16 AM
the scoring average and scoring titles.

EricForman
07-02-2008, 05:21 AM

-Most scoring titles

Zak
07-02-2008, 05:38 AM
I don't think anyone in the league currently will break any of those records, but if one was to be broken then it would probably be the scoring average one. LeBron James is still young, but it is highly unlikely that he wins 10, he will most likely retire with 5-7.

facebook
07-02-2008, 05:58 AM
the scoring average has a chance if the player starts out good, and retire early.. say full years in college (to develope full set of skills), enter nba at age 22, retire at 32 while in end prime..

guy
07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
the scoring average has a chance if the player starts out good, and retire early.. say full years in college (to develope full set of skills), enter nba at age 22, retire at 32 while in end prime..

That's true. It will most likely come from someone who retires at the top of their game, which rarely happens anymore. Who was the last great player to retire at the top of their game? Magic?

mavsfan4zindagi
07-02-2008, 12:47 PM
His most unbreakable record is

"Never getting outplayed in by an opponent over the course of a playoff series"

otherwise known as

"Came out of every playoff series looking like the best player on the court"

Forget numbers and figures, that record is what makes him GOAT.

Co-sign.

I think ANY record can be broken. Who knows what tomorrow brings? For all we know theres some kid out there who will one day put 100+ in a game and shatter tons of "unbreakble" records. You never know. If someone can do it, someone else can do it better.

Jailblazers7
07-02-2008, 12:55 PM
NOBODY will lead their team to 2 three peats again and win 6 Finals MVP's. NOBODY.

elz
07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
again stop being ignorant with all those if this happened or if that happened well if jordan didnt come back for the wizards his career ppg would have been 32.4pg which would be untouchable 30.12 is very very i stress the world unlikely just because rookies dont average that much i mean if your not averaging at least 24ppg as a rookie you really have no shot

Thats why OJ Mayo will take over as GOAT when he averages 25+ ppg this year as a rookie

Stop being Arrogant and you're truely ignorant.

A few yrs ago we just had 3 players avg over 30 pts a game in A.I., Lebron and Kobe

this year in the second half of the Season we had Amare Avging 30 points and almost 60percent from the field.

The pure ignorance is the thought that some one isn't going to come along and be on a team as the number one or only scoring opting and get 20 shots per game right out the gate. And because most kids are jumping so early and playing more years than before it's far more possible than your willing to own up to.

32 points or not some one will come along to some wack team and drop right out the gate. I'm not sayin its easy but it will eventually happen!

And yeah no fkin sht Kobe is out of reach but he's capable of it.
There was a month he avg 40 points so if you think for one moment had he gotten off to a earlier start he wouldn't be in striking range by age 35 you truely stupid!

Lebron's capable sht if he could make his free throws alone he woulda avg'd over 32 points this yr.

Like some one else said, records are made to be broken

Make It Rain
07-02-2008, 02:39 PM
@GUY

It's not that hard

Easily
It's not like Kobe shot 50+%. Kobe wasn't good enough to be the focal point of an offense at the time. Having more shots would have only slightly helped his scoring average. But his percentages would take a dip.

guy
07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
The pure ignorance is the thought that some one isn't going to come along and be on a team as the number one or only scoring opting and get 20 shots per game right out the gate. And because most kids are jumping so early and playing more years than before it's far more possible than your willing to own up to.

Actually the fact that kids are jumping early and playing more years reduces the chances of surpassing Jordan's career scoring average. We're not talking about total points, we're talking about scoring average. Jumping early and playing more years, means that an 18 or 19-year old is going to need to average nearly 30 ppg, and if he's playing more years then Jordan, which he probably will be coming right after 1 year of college, means he'll have to keep up that average for a longer time. This is assuming the kid doesn't have some prime Wilt-type scoring numbers for a good part of his career, and with the way the NBA is and has been for awhile now, that's unlikely.

Da_Realist
07-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Actually the fact that kids are jumping early and playing more years reduces the chances of surpassing Jordan's career scoring average. We're not talking about total points, we're talking about scoring average. Jumping early and playing more years, means that an 18 or 19-year old is going to need to average nearly 30 ppg, and if he's playing more years then Jordan, which he probably will be coming right after 1 year of college, means he'll have to keep up that average for a longer time. This is assuming the kid doesn't have some prime Wilt-type scoring numbers for a good part of his career, and with the way the NBA is and has been for awhile now, that's unlikely.

Also keep in mind that a player that comes out early are putting a lot of wear and tear on their bodies. By the time they're 30, they've been in the league for 11 or 12 years. Physically they should be in their prime, but they're really not. For these guys, 30 is the new 33.

Good Old Willy
07-02-2008, 03:26 PM
[quote=nba_on_nbc]Obviously Jordan has too many records but out of these below records, which do you think is the most unbreakable of all?

-Most scoring titles

guy
07-02-2008, 03:36 PM
All are impressive of course.

The double figures one should be broken, though it will take a player 10 years to do so.

Scoring 10 PPG minimum for stars really should not be difficult. I always thought it was pretty pathetic and a testament to mental weakness when a STAR go-to-guy has an off night and doesn't score. I mean, 2 points per quarter is an NBA given to any player getting starter minutes. Less and ... :oldlol:

For 866 consecutive games it sounds difficult.

Soundwave
07-02-2008, 03:45 PM
The 10 scoring titles and the 30+ ppg career average will likely be very difficult to top.

Good Old Willy
07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
For 866 consecutive games it sounds difficult.

I'm not saying that its not. Lots of guys don't get the look or can't score 10 5 games in a row.

But for the go to guy? Getting 15 shots per night should be the minimum. How can a star not drop 1 per quarter and make a couple pf FT. Unless he is insured.

I think it speaks alot of the current batch of players that the consistancy is not there.

i.e. this past season, in his worst game lebron only scored as little as 10pnts once, against Dallas, first game of the season

Kobe a bunch of 16 point games, but a SIX point stinker against the Nets, on 40 mins. Sorry, but that's just pathetic.

DWade had a 7 point game against Boston.

AStoudamire had 3 sub 10pnt games, all on 30 min plus.

Iverson - 1 game. 8 points on 31 minutes against Memphis

Bosh had 5 sub-10 point games, but he isn't really just a scorer.

But Wait!

Carmelo - Mr. attitude? Mr. inconsistant? Nope.

No sub 10 point game in 07-08.

None in 06-07. None in 05-06. Last sub-10 point game was March 13th 2005 against PHX, 9 points in 24 minutes. He finished the game on the bench, coaches Karl's decison.

Just saying, though difficult, top stars, should be getting their 10 points through 4Q easy.

Loki
07-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm not saying that its not. Lots of guys don't get the look or can't score 10 5 games in a row.

But for the go to guy? Getting 15 shots per night should be the minimum. How can a star not drop 1 per quarter and make a couple pf FT. Unless he is insured.

If it's so easy, why have only two players (Jordan and Kareem, whose record Jordan broke) even passed the 500 consecutive game mark, much less 866?

You're neglecting injuries, blowouts where a player may have like 8 or 9 points but a dozen assists and then sit early etc.

guy
07-02-2008, 04:16 PM

I think it speaks alot of the current batch of players that the consistancy is not there.

i.e. this past season, in his worst game lebron only scored as little as 10pnts once, against Dallas, first game of the season

Kobe a bunch of 16 point games, but a SIX point stinker against the Nets, on 40 mins. Sorry, but that's just pathetic.

DWade had a 7 point game against Boston.

AStoudamire had 3 sub 10pnt games, all on 30 min plus.

Iverson - 1 game. 8 points on 31 minutes against Memphis

Bosh had 5 sub-10 point games, but he isn't really just a scorer.

But Wait!

Carmelo - Mr. attitude? Mr. inconsistant? Nope.

No sub 10 point game in 07-08.

None in 06-07. None in 05-06. Last sub-10 point game was March 13th 2005 against PHX, 9 points in 24 minutes. He finished the game on the bench, coaches Karl's decison.

Just saying, though difficult, top stars, should be getting their 10 points through 4Q easy.

It doesnt just have to do with the current batch of players, it has to do with all of NBA history, cause only one player, Jordan has done it for that many games. I don't see how you can say no one else getting that far is pathetic. Players have off-nights, injuries, great teammates stepping up, etc. I mean damn they are NBA superstars, but their not perfect.

lilojmayo
07-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Stop being Arrogant and you're truely ignorant.

A few yrs ago we just had 3 players avg over 30 pts a game in A.I., Lebron and Kobe

this year in the second half of the Season we had Amare Avging 30 points and almost 60percent from the field.

32 points or not some one will come along to some wack team and drop right out the gate. I'm not sayin its easy but it will eventually happen!

And yeah no fkin sht Kobe is out of reach but he's capable of it.
There was a month he avg 40 points so if you think for one moment had he gotten off to a earlier start he wouldn't be in striking range by age 35 you truely stupid!

Lebron's capable sht if he could make his free throws alone he woulda avg'd over 32 points this yr.

Like some one else said, records are made to be broken

Lebron has only gotten over jordans average 1 time is his first 5 years and thats when lebron had no help once so ever just think when lebron actually gets good teams mate a sidekick that would be giving him help Lebron by himself is only averaging 27 pts b4 help Jordan was averaging 34 pts a game b4 scottie came around

the only player in our lifetime who has a chance to break the scoring averages and titles is OJ Mayo he like what you described is a shooting guard who is going to be putting up 20+ shots off the back with the grizzlies and will eventually turn him into GOAT

Loki
07-02-2008, 04:21 PM
lilojmayo blinded me with science. My new favorite poster. :oldlol: :bowdown:

Good Old Willy
07-02-2008, 04:30 PM
If it's so easy, why have only two players (Jordan and Kareem, whose record Jordan broke) even passed the 500 consecutive game mark, much less 866?

You're neglecting injuries, blowouts where a player may have like 8 or 9 points but a dozen assists and then sit early etc.

True, such as Iverson's game in the exmaple above (blowout).

Those MJ records are impressive, this one just seems like it should be the easiest to reach. A player does not need to be the top player in the league, merely one of the top 10-20% that get starter minutes, have a 10 year career and score 10 ppg. Not unreasonable at all. Some Mr. Reliable avg star will break the record.

I think the 6 Finals MVPs for example is practically out of reach in the Cap + balanced -nba era. The award most often goes to the superstar of the winning team, right? A player has got to GET to the finals 6+ times just to have a chance to win it. How many guys even get to the finals, never mind win. The key super star would have to get traded to 3-4 teams each as they peak, just to get there 6+ times.

Good Old Willy
07-02-2008, 04:34 PM
It doesnt just have to do with the current batch of players, it has to do with all of NBA history, cause only one player, Jordan has done it for that many games. I don't see how you can say no one else getting that far is pathetic. Players have off-nights, injuries, great teammates stepping up, etc. I mean damn they are NBA superstars, but their not perfect.

Yeah, I'm not saying the current guys are all pathetic. Just that it seems a bit pathetic when a star can't get past 9 on 30+mins. But I'm just repeating myself.

Sure players have offnights. I'm not saying that they should be shooting 20 points night. But how is ONE single bucket a quarter hard for THE go-to guy on a team?

juju151111
07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
There not impossible by a long shot.

The scoring titles is a challenge but possible.
The consecutive scoring titles are prolly more of a task.
In Jordan's era no one could avg 30 there's quite a few players that can do that now!

The finals Mvps are damn near untouchable

and double figures are not that difficult for a franchise player.
Im confident there's some others in striking distance or on pace to it.
In Mj era a few players could averge 30??Where do u get ur info from.

Loki
07-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Some Mr. Reliable avg star will break the record.

Yeah, I guess that's why the only two players to ever get above even 500 games just happen to be considered by many to be the two greatest players ever.

Psileas
07-02-2008, 06:46 PM

Four, actually (add the 2 Malones).

But it's still a tough record. Being consistant is the key, but sometimes even this may not be enough. For example, you have to be careful not to get injured in the beginnings of any game. Or not to get ejected. A lot of great streaks broke in that way.

Jordan's 5 most unbreakable numbers in general may be the following:

-33.4 ppg in the playoffs
-866 games in a row with 10+ points.
-10 scoring titles
-No playoff series with less than 25 ppg.
-5 playoff series with 40+ ppg.

Loki
07-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Four, actually (add the 2 Malones).

You sure about that? I knew Karl Malone got into the 400's, but didn't know that he got past 500 consecutive games in double figures. Where'd you find that?

If we're just picking random Jordan stats/facts, then this is pretty impressive:

In 179 career playoff games, he scored fewer than 20 points just 6 times and never scored under 15 points.

kidachi
07-02-2008, 07:22 PM
being MJ.

aww. mushy mushy.

Psileas
07-02-2008, 08:07 PM
You sure about that? I knew Karl Malone got into the 400's, but didn't know that he got past 500 consecutive games in double figures. Where'd you find that?

If we're just picking random Jordan stats/facts, then this is pretty impressive:

In 179 career playoff games, he scored fewer than 20 points just 6 times and never scored under 15 points.

When he broke his 866-game streak, they put the all-time top-10 list (Garnett would later enter the list twice):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2001/12/27/wizards_pacers_ap/

I agree on the other thing you mentioned. Especially that he never scored less than 15 in 179 playoff games is really impressive-actually, it would be a new "member" of my top-5.

dawsey6
07-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I'm not saying the current guys are all pathetic. Just that it seems a bit pathetic when a star can't get past 9 on 30+mins. But I'm just repeating myself.

Sure players have offnights. I'm not saying that they should be shooting 20 points night. But how is ONE single bucket a quarter hard for THE go-to guy on a team?

In the perspective of doing it in 1 game, and you're an insane talent, it's easy as taking a ****. But if you've played 1000 games in your career over 13-14 years, it's extremely hard to do it for 1000 games straight. There's a certain level of consistency that the human body just doesn't have, and if you factor in injuries, blowouts, off-nights, even factor in combination of all 3 to get a close game (9-8 points), it's bound to happen in at least one in 1000 games, no matter who you are.

TmacsRockets
07-02-2008, 08:59 PM

-Most scoring titles

stephanieg
07-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Ten scoring titles. Can you imagine a player being allowed to be that selfish for that long?

TmacsRockets
07-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Ten scoring titles. Can you imagine a player being allowed to be that selfish for that long?

When you are the most efficient scorer and player ever I don't consider that being selfish especially knowing you don't really have many scoring options on the team.

72-10
07-02-2008, 10:29 PM
And whoever said that about Wilt was right for the most part. Not all but some of his amazing records like the 50ppg season and 100 point game still stands.

So, the question is which of these Jordan records could stand for at least 30-40 years, just like Wilt's records.

The consecutive games scoring in double digits, naturally. Just to accumulate that many games played takes more than a decade of play. Really the 10 scoring titles though might never be matched or broken.

72-10
07-02-2008, 10:32 PM
...but it didn't

And if such a game did happen, it would certainly have an asterisk next to it, since Wilt's game was in regulation. Of course we could almost put asterisks next to all of Wilt's records in that sense, considering the lack of competition he had.

72-10
07-02-2008, 10:33 PM

He was the most efficient player in the history of the game.:no:

Loki
07-02-2008, 10:36 PM

If they proved that they could integrate their scoring within a team concept and have team success, as Jordan did in spades, then yeah, I can imagine it. Unfortunately, lots of players can't blend their high scoring with a team concept for various reasons. That's actually one of the things that makes Jordan's scoring so impressive.

Psileas, thanks for the link. Interestingly, after the game that article references, Jordan went out the next two games and scored 51 and 45 (on great efficiency) after there were murmurs that he had lost it. :oldlol:

TheGoatest
01-27-2022, 04:12 AM
In the perspective of doing it in 1 game, and you're an insane talent, it's easy as taking a ****. But if you've played 1000 games in your career over 13-14 years, it's extremely hard to do it for 1000 games straight. There's a certain level of consistency that the human body just doesn't have, and if you factor in injuries, blowouts, off-nights, even factor in combination of all 3 to get a close game (9-8 points), it's bound to happen in at least one in 1000 games, no matter who you are.

This guy knew what he was talking about.
I can only agree with how insanely impressive it is to score in double digits for 1000+ straight games.

Jasper
01-27-2022, 11:28 AM

I will include 2 3peats... probably will never be done again.

HunterSThompson
01-27-2022, 11:55 AM
wasn't he league mvp, finals mvp and scoring champion like 4 times and nobody else has more than 1 or something. I forget. probly that

3ba11
01-27-2022, 12:30 PM
He averaged 43.3 points per 100 possessions in the playoffs with 118 ortg (efficiency per possession)

That's 6 more points per 100 than anyone in history, with better efficiency on those possessions than anyone that matters like Kobe, Kawhi, Durant, Lebron, Wade, Harden... edit: durant ties jordan's ortg but still averages 6 less per 100

FireDavidKahn
01-27-2022, 06:41 PM
Most times quitting (retired)?

Thenameless
01-28-2022, 01:47 AM
Yawn. After Jordan and Lebron are long gone, Wilt Chamberlain will still own the most records by far.

TheCorporation
01-29-2022, 12:21 AM
This guy knew what he was talking about.
I can only agree with how insanely impressive it is to score in double digits for 1000+ straight games.

+1

LeBron 1,016

~gap~

Jordan 866

No one's close

Shaquille O'Neal
01-29-2022, 08:54 PM
Obviously Jordan has too many records but out of these below records, which do you think is the most unbreakable of all?

-Most scoring titles

Career 30 PPG on 50% shooting?
6 FMVP
6 or more finals trips with 0 losses

TheGoatest
01-30-2022, 03:19 AM
Career 30 PPG on 50% shooting?
6 FMVP
6 or more finals trips with 0 losses

What?? :oldlol: Robert Horry is 7-7 in the finals. John Havlicek is 8-8. And The Great Scott Pippen is 6-6 as well. So there goes that idiotic customized criteria.
His 6 Finals MVPs is only a record because the award didn't exist in Bill Russell's days. Might as well say that Ja Morant is a better scorer than Jordan because he has a higher play-in scoring average. :oldlol:

3ba11
01-30-2022, 03:53 AM
What?? :oldlol: Robert Horry is 7-7 in the finals. John Havlicek is 8-8. And The Great Scott Pippen is 6-6 as well. So there goes that idiotic customized criteria.
His 6 Finals MVPs is only a record because the award didn't exist in Bill Russell's days. Might as well say that Ja Morant is a better scorer than Jordan because he has a higher play-in scoring average. :oldlol:

Russell was a defensive player that didn't face defensive attention for most of his rings, let alone maximum defensive attention - his teammates carried the scoring load, so Russell couldn't carry teams like MJ, who carried the scoreboard in every series and therefore faced maximum defensive attention/burden for his entire career.

MJ is the only player that overcame maximum defensive attention (carried the scoring load) for more than 1 title run (6 runs).. Some players have never overcome maximum defensive attention for even 1 title run, such as Lebron James, who never carried the scoring load on the Finals level.. He also never carried bed-wetting teammates over top 5 SRS opponents in 2 decades of playing (no carry-jobs against good teams in playoff career)..

Unlike Russell who simply couldn't throw the ball in the ocean (couldn't score), Lebron's inability to carry teams is because his high-scoring levels are too ball-dominant/predictable to beat good teams - he lacks the elite jumpshooting skill to rely on catch-and-shoots and pure scoring off-screens that would allow optimal teammate fits, strategy and team ceilings/Finals records.

TheGoatest
01-30-2022, 06:25 AM
Most times quitting (retired)?

Definitely quitting while being completely healthy.
Nobody will break his record of 2. You'd have to dig deep to even find 1: Darren Collison, Larry Sanders, etc.

La Frescobaldi
01-31-2022, 05:48 AM
Russell was a defensive player that didn't face defensive attention for most of his rings, let alone maximum defensive attention - his teammates carried the scoring load, so Russell couldn't carry teams like MJ, who carried the scoreboard in every series and therefore faced maximum defensive attention/burden for his entire career.

MJ is the only player that overcame maximum defensive attention (carried the scoring load) for more than 1 title run (6 runs).. Some players have never overcome maximum defensive attention for even 1 title run, such as Lebron James, who never carried the scoring load on the Finals level.. He also never carried bed-wetting teammates over top 5 SRS opponents in 2 decades of playing (no carry-jobs against good teams in playoff career)..

Unlike Russell who simply couldn't throw the ball in the ocean (couldn't score), Lebron's inability to carry teams is because his high-scoring levels are too ball-dominant/predictable to beat good teams - he lacks the elite jumpshooting skill to rely on catch-and-shoots and pure scoring off-screens that would allow optimal teammate fits, strategy and team ceilings/Finals records.

Bill Russell could score at will against any player in history. with competent nba teammates, he would destroy Jordan in one on one, two on two, three on three, or in games. No Nineties team ever faced a center like that man.

You do not know anything about this. Obviously.

2much_knowledge
01-31-2022, 11:49 PM
2 three peats in the same decade...

10 scoring tittles.

How about winning scoring tittle and dpoy in the same year...

And the record that won't be broken.. prevent your team losing 3 games in a row for a 8 year stretch. Good luck with that one

Spurs m8
02-01-2022, 12:28 AM
#1 GOAT in NBA history.

Wonder who could beat that.

Not saying it can't be broken, but jesus that person's gonna be special.
And it would be a treat to witness.

TheCorporation
02-01-2022, 12:33 AM
1-9 first round

Three retirements in 8 eight years

.291% or lower from 3 for three straight years

4 for 25 (16% shooting) in the 3pt contest

Lose 1 on 1 vs midget CEO banker

kawhileonard2
02-01-2022, 11:37 PM
30.12 Career PPG
33.45 Career Playoff PPG