PDA

View Full Version : Mavs sign Gerald Green to 1 yr deal;

BFRESH44
07-01-2008, 09:56 PM
HOUSTON -- Free agent guard Gerald Green has agreed to a one-year contract with the Dallas Mavericks. Green, a first round pick of the Boston Celtics in 2005, was part of the trade that sent Kevin Garnett from Minnesota to Boston. The Timberwolves traded Green to Houston last season. He played in one game for his home town team before being released.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=6892540&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

veilside23
07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
good jason kidd will love this addition .. I hope green works his a$$ off and take the starting spot out of howard :D

lakerfreak
07-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Very smart pick up by Cuban and the mavs.

Maniak
07-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Good, a team is giving him an opportunity. I think around the correct influences he can become a great player!

SCREWstonRockets
07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Good, a team is giving him an opportunity. I think around the correct influences he can become a great player!
Yeah, I'm sure Josh Howard will take him to high places. :oldlol:

Mr_Basketball#1
07-01-2008, 10:04 PM
:hammertime: I'm so happy for Green. He better work his ass off. I'm actually surprised a playoff contender picked him up, but I'm just glad he found a home.

Spudjjay
07-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Good to see Gerald get a job.

lakerfreak
07-01-2008, 10:06 PM

:roll:

Maniak
07-01-2008, 10:08 PM

:rolleyes:

I meant that a player on the team could be an influence, not the guy starting over him....

Its very possible that Jason Kidd or Dirk Nowitski could be good to help him. Their size or position doesnt matter, the fact is is that they are experianced players who can teach somebody to play.

dnyk1337
07-01-2008, 10:18 PM

:roll: :roll:

Nets fan 93
07-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Gerald will get so little playing time... he shoulda signed w/ us

usdmef9
07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Happy to see him getting another chance, I thought it would have been cool if the celts had picked him back up then we wouldn't have lost as much in the original trade that sent him away.

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-01-2008, 10:30 PM
sht i didnt bother clicking the thread and when i looked at it twice before i thought it said cavs sign green.

Q.E.C
07-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

MMM
07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
I hope he does well, he has a lot of physical tools to become a good basketball player.

YAWN
07-01-2008, 10:48 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol: :cheers:

Qwyjibo
07-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I'd be shocked if he plays more than 30 minutes total all season for the Mavs.

InfamousDX
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Yea I dno't see him getting many minutes at all...

kwajo
07-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Where's Pape Sow when you need him?

shaoyut
07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
kidd to green:bowdown:

DoubleTech
07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
waste of money but i guess cubes has some extra dough to blow...

Sneakerpro
07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Wow this was sticky worthy?

LutherHeadJob
07-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Big whoop we got Greene and Novak to warm the bench.

JPR
07-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Now here is an under the radar signing. Just when you think the Mavs are cold turkey, they go out and get a ridiculously talented youngster for short money. Smart move on Cuban's part. Green is going to be BIG TIME next season in Dallas, just watch.

NeighborhoodKid
07-01-2008, 11:58 PM
this is really good that he's getting a chance to play again and i hope he works hard because the guy has a lot of talent to develop

NastaMaverick
07-02-2008, 12:03 AM
:cheers: Sweeeet. (kidd and green? perfect alley oop combo.)

DatZNasty
07-02-2008, 12:13 AM
this would be a good move if they had a coach/system in place that could best utilize him.

Raj Da Dodge
07-02-2008, 12:26 AM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=6892540&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1
DAMN! I WISH HE WOULDA SIGNED WITH US! NOW I HATE DALLAS EVEN MORE!

gts
07-02-2008, 12:37 AM
This could be a nice pickup for the Mavs, hopefully green will give it his best shot...

Big Al All day
07-02-2008, 12:41 AM
man , i wish the wolves would have actually gave him a chance ...
:confusedshrug:

LutherHeadJob
07-02-2008, 12:59 AM

I don't get the hype.

Green can't even crack the rotation at Min-freakin-Sota, played one or two games for the Rockets and got cut to make way for Mike Harris and Loren Woods, Loren freakin Woods. There has to be something wrong with the guy.

brandonislegend
07-02-2008, 01:34 AM

I don't get the hype.

Green can't even crack the rotation at Min-freakin-Sota, played one or two games for the Rockets and got cut to make way for Mike Harris and Loren Woods, Loren freakin Woods. There has to be something wrong with the guy.
work ethic, thats what everyone is talking about....

Lotsadimes
07-02-2008, 02:06 AM
Hopefully he got his attitude and work ethic in check cause he has all the physical tools.

High Potential
07-02-2008, 02:09 AM
He was cut by the rebuilding Wolves desperate for young talent and cut by the injury riddled Rockets. This move wreaks of desperation on the Mavs part.

LakersDynasty
07-02-2008, 02:24 AM
I just remembered last off-season when people said Gerald Green was going to be better than Monta Ellis. :lol

SCY
07-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Rockets probably wanted to keep a roster spot open. Not that worried about it.

baseketball4life
07-02-2008, 02:32 AM
man i wanted the warriors to sign Gerald ****

now we need to go after JR

LutherHeadJob
07-02-2008, 02:42 AM
work ethic, thats what everyone is talking about....

So suddenly after what 5 years into his career he is suddenly going to work his butt off?

You would think not cracking rotation for the freakin rebuilding timberwolves would of woken him up.

fos
07-02-2008, 03:15 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Should be good for one or two highlight dunks.

Silverbullit
07-02-2008, 03:25 AM
His record is 42-101, thats 0.294%.

Doesn't sound like a 'winner'.

ukballer
07-02-2008, 03:28 AM
Huge Gerald Green fan so obviously I'm just delighted he's on 'a' team for now, even if he doesn't make the final cut after camp. Would have loved him to go to the Bobcats :oldlol:

I think this is an underrated pickup. It's obvious any team with Jason Kidd on it needs to become more of an uptempo team which is exactly what Gerald would fit into nicely. Use his athletic tools rather than his brainpower (or lack of it) to your advantage.

MiseryCityTexas
07-02-2008, 06:55 AM
it would be funny if gerald has the best season of his career next year, and he ****s on the rockets everytime the mavs play against the rockets next season. rockets are known for ****ting on players from the home town of houston. (rashard lewis, john lucas III). i wouldn't be surprised if green has a breakout season next year. especially playing with jason kidd.

MaxFly
07-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Good pick up by the Mavs. This is definitely a plus.

bigkingsfan
07-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Dude has been barefoot since the dunk contest, good pickup.

Silent Mav
07-02-2008, 09:05 AM
When he got to Minny, they were already trying to develop McCants and Brewer. He ended up not being one of their guys and the odd man out. And McHale didn't like him. And we've seen the kind of talent judge McHale is.

Green called the move to his hometown team "a dream come true," but his stay lasted less than three weeks. With emerging rookie Carl Landry suffering from a knee injury after Yao Ming already was lost to foot surgery, the Rockets needed more rebounding in the midst of what would become a 22-game winning streak. They signed Harris, a rookie forward from Rice, and released Green on March 8.

"We started out after the deadline with only five healthy bigs, and then two of them went down, so I really had no choice but to add one," Morey said. "Gerald was the only player we had who didn't have future money or was in the rotation, so unfortunately, he got caught up in a numbers-roster deal. We have a good coaching staff for young players, a good player development staff; they were all sort of disappointed in me that we had to make a move in that direction."

I think it's a low risk signing. Especially if they used the verterans min and left the MLE alone. Hopefully some of the vets on the Mavs can work with him and is work ethic. Maybe he's realizes this might be his last chance and grows up and puts in the effort. A young athletic guys who can run should benefit being on the court with Kidd. The ball is in his court, if he doesn't make it, minimal damage. Time to get some youth on this team instead of the parade of George, Jones, Hassell, Griffin, etc.

nothinbutnet
07-02-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm sure last season got him humble. He has a lot to prove now.

AItheAnswer3
07-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Im sure they'll make it to the playoffs now

miles berg
07-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Dallas has a track record with these types. DeSagana Diop was 20 minutes from being a lifetime Euro guy and Dallas signed him and did something with him. Brandon Bass went from SEC MVP to waiver wire clutter and he had a big impact for Dallas last year in his first year here.

If Bass can come in and take what few minutes there are behind Dirk Nowitzki and turn it into a revitalized career, id have to think that Donnie Nelson knew what he was doing with Green and that Green should crack the rotation next year considering the best SGs on the Mavs roster are Jerry Stackhouse & Eddie Jones.

Positive move for Dallas. Now they need to sign Patrick O'Bryant for cheap too.

usdmef9
07-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Dallas has a track record with these types. DeSagana Diop was 20 minutes from being a lifetime Euro guy and Dallas signed him and did something with him. Brandon Bass went from SEC MVP to waiver wire clutter and he had a big impact for Dallas last year in his first year here.

If Bass can come in and take what few minutes there are behind Dirk Nowitzki and turn it into a revitalized career, id have to think that Donnie Nelson knew what he was doing with Green and that Green should crack the rotation next year considering the best SGs on the Mavs roster are Jerry Stackhouse & Eddie Jones.

you guys will enjoy having Gerald. He is full of talent and energy he just needed to be brought back down to earth and I think he had that when he was cut last season and sitting on free agency contemplating his unforseeable future.

Sharas
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM

this is a great point, and i really haven't noticed this until now.

whatever, even is gerald never pans out, risk is almost non-existent and reward can be nice.

usdmef9
07-02-2008, 10:45 AM
this is a great point, and i really haven't noticed this until now.

whatever, even is gerald never pans out, risk is almost non-existent and reward can be nice.

yes there is zero risk here. I am surprised it took this long for someone to pick him up off free agency but to be honest thats exactly what gerald needed, a reality check. He should be going into this like its his last opurtunity which in reality may very well be if he doesn't mature and produce.

mbsta14
07-02-2008, 10:52 AM
I think it's a good deal for Gerald Green. He's a highflyer so the mavericks are getting help at the offensive end.

elz
07-02-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm sure last season got him humble. He has a lot to prove now.

Why are talking like the kids a headcase

He was projected to get drafted top 5 and went 18th
he's had humbling experiences since day one.

He been in summer leagues every year. Why are others questioning his work ethic!
The truth here is Gerald is one the few that made the jump from High School who shoulda went to college first.

The kid is as gifted as they come but he's raw which is why he's a challenge.

Scoring is easy for him but playing in a structured offense and Defense isn't.
He'll blow defensive assignments at times and force bad shots.

Athletically he's a freak of nature and he can really shoot.
Being Next to Kidd is really gonna help his learning curve big time because now he just has to be a finisher and shooter, which he's already pretty good at.

smart move
Plus all those vets around him will really help big time!

BBall Allstar
07-02-2008, 11:02 AM
It's a good deal for the Mavericks, he is very talented. He is a good upgrade for the bench, behind Howard, George, Jones and Stack

Silverbullit
07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
It's a good deal for the Mavericks, he is very talented. He is a good upgrade for the bench, behind Howard, George, Jones and Stack

I don't hope George plays for the Mavericks next year :D

usdmef9
07-02-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't hope George plays for the Mavericks next year :D

I really doubted he would be re signed after he almost destroyed the jason kidd deal.

Lotsadimes
07-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Why are talking like the kids a headcase

He was projected to get drafted top 5 and went 18th
he's had humbling experiences since day one.

He been in summer leagues every year. Why are others questioning his work ethic!
The truth here is Gerald is one the few that made the jump from High School who shoulda went to college first.

The kid is as gifted as they come but he's raw which is why he's a challenge.

Scoring is easy for him but playing in a structured offense and Defense isn't.
He'll blow defensive assignments at times and force bad shots.

Athletically he's a freak of nature and he can really shoot.
Being Next to Kidd is really gonna help his learning curve big time because now he just has to be a finisher and shooter, which he's already pretty good at.

smart move
Plus all those vets around him will really help big time!

Great point man this would only I believe be his senior year in college so before people write him off I believe they need to realize that some of these kids take longer to develop then others (Jermaine O'Neal, etc.). This guy is what like 21 going into his fourth season? A ton of hops, speed, and a long range shot he demonstrated in high school which I believe has been missing from his game and this was a nice pick up.

mavsfan4zindagi
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I like it. Much rather have a guy like this get some burn, good or bad, opposed to Grandpa Jones or Brickhouse.

Buffalobraves
07-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Good for him, he's an explosive and athletic player that could really help them off the bench.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
07-02-2008, 01:09 PM
He's been bouncin around teams, He'll be gone by next season

SupermanOnSteroids
07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
he'll average 12 ppg for the season.

Dick Biggly
07-02-2008, 10:11 PM
he's trash. The guy couldn't even get minutes on one of the worst teams in the league. That speaks volumes. Even chumps like Ricky Davis could put up garbage numbers on crap teams. Green will ride the Dallas bench and a year from now people won't even remember Dallas signed him.

thenextgreatbigman
07-02-2008, 10:47 PM
He might not be living up to the expectations but the kid is a great athlete and that's what the mavs were missing. If he can come in and finish a few plays on the break it will open things up for other guys.

Dick Biggly
07-02-2008, 11:18 PM
He might not be living up to the expectations but the kid is a great athlete and that's what the mavs were missing. If he can come in and finish a few plays on the break it will open things up for other guys.

"great athletes" are a dime a dozen, you can find plenty of them making up NBDL rosters. That means nothing. This kid has terrible fundamentals and no bball IQ, otherwise he wouldn't be on his 4th team in what? 4 years? He's nothing special. He doesn't get any playing time because any advantage you have by putting a "great athlete" in the game is negated by how much of a liability he is in all other facets of the game.

dirkdiggler41
07-03-2008, 09:18 AM
"great athletes" are a dime a dozen, you can find plenty of them making up NBDL rosters. That means nothing. This kid has terrible fundamentals and no bball IQ, otherwise he wouldn't be on his 4th team in what? 4 years? He's nothing special. He doesn't get any playing time because any advantage you have by putting a "great athlete" in the game is negated by how much of a liability he is in all other facets of the game.

I dont think GG will ever become something great, but you could just say the same thinks about Brandon Bass and Desagana diop. Both have been importent role players for the Mavs

Dick Biggly
07-03-2008, 09:26 AM
I dont think GG will ever become something great, but you could just say the same thinks about Brandon Bass and Desagana diop. Both have been importent role players for the Mavs

Diop is nothing special, its just that he's a 7 footer so he's a rarer commodity. Bass has made the most of his opportunity getting serious playing time. Green hasn't been able to do that on 3 other teams (2 of which were terrible).

Silverbullit
07-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Diop is nothing special, its just that he's a 7 footer so he's a rarer commodity. Bass has made the most of his opportunity getting serious playing time. Green hasn't been able to do that on 3 other teams (2 of which were terrible).

Bass is a great sidekick to Dirk, he averaged nearly 20 mpg last season, after averaging 9/8 mins the years before.

Green averaged 22 mpg in his sophomore year in Boston and scored in double digits. Not that bad.

FireMcFailPlease
07-03-2008, 10:03 AM
You guys seriously dont know how bad of a player this guy is, if youre saying good signing by Dallas

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
07-03-2008, 10:28 AM
he'll average 12 ppg for the season.

LutherHeadJob
07-03-2008, 07:29 PM

hey man don't laugh, GeBench Green averaged 60 points for us per 36 minutes last season:banana:

Sneakerpro
07-03-2008, 08:15 PM
He literally just has to run the break and shoot when is open.

If he can do those two things then we are good.

Rockets(T-mac)
07-04-2008, 10:27 AM
According to NBA.com San Antonio signed him...

http://www.nba.com/transactions/current_month_transactions.html

Silverbullit
07-04-2008, 11:20 AM
According to NBA.com San Antonio signed him...

http://www.nba.com/transactions/current_month_transactions.html

:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

bjtrdff
07-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Why the **** is this a sticky exactly?

It's A VC3!!!
07-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Mavs want to do a sign and trade for Diop, so hopefully we can get Green for Diop :D

FireMcFailPlease
07-04-2008, 12:08 PM
He literally just has to run the break and shoot when is open.

If he can do those two things then we are good.
Gerald doesnt understand what that would mean. if you got into a half court set, he'll start chuckin J's from 19 feet away with someboddy in his face

LutherHeadJob
07-04-2008, 08:09 PM
You guys seriously dont know how bad of a player this guy is, if youre saying good signing by Dallas

He can dunk, therefore he is good.:roll:

jamal99
07-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Gerald doesnt understand what that would mean. if you got into a half court set, he'll start chuckin J's from 19 feet away with someboddy in his face
He's not that stupid... Isn't he?

Detroitguy113
07-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Very underused player with underrated talent. Hopefully Josh Howard smokes some solid, gets suspended, and Green picks up a starting role on a competitive team.

LJJ
07-07-2008, 12:14 PM
WTH is this sticky?

Gerald Green?

GTFO.

catzhernandez
07-07-2008, 04:33 PM
WHY IS THIS STILL STICKIED?

Who gives a sh*t about Gerald Green?

knickballer
07-07-2008, 05:39 PM

Why do you care? A signing is a signing fatty.

emsteez forreal
07-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Why do you care? A signing is a signing fatty.

i think everyone would be interested to know that gerald green's potential in nba 2k8 is an A+ .

Doomsday Dallas
07-08-2008, 01:14 AM

The ISH community and jeff were respectfully waiting for the opinion of Doomsday Dallas on this signing.

And here it is...

Gerald Green > Juwan Howard

Silverbullit
07-08-2008, 02:44 AM
The ISH community and jeff were respectfully waiting for the opinion of Doomsday Dallas on this signing.

And here it is...

Gerald Green > Juwan Howard

We were wating more than a week. What happened? :)

baseketball4life
07-08-2008, 02:49 AM
Gerald Green=SICK

ChuckOakley
07-08-2008, 11:50 AM
A very young and talented SG/SF rotation.. let's see if he can crack it.

Terry / Stackhouse / Shan Foster
Howard / E. Jones / G.Green

dhenk
07-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Gerald Green=SICK

In his brain...

insidehoops
07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Bump