PDA

View Full Version : Diop to sign with Mavs...5 year deal starting at nearly 6 mil a year

sixerfan3511
07-02-2008, 04:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3471169

:oldlol: to the kid who thought he was going to Atlanta

GOBB
07-02-2008, 04:14 PM
$6mil per year to do what?

UConnCeltics
I think that might be too much money for him.

NastaMaverick
Nothing. The Mavs are retarded.

sixerfan3511
07-02-2008, 04:15 PM

haha block shots, rebound and play defense, something that almost no1 else on Dallas does

starface
smart move, price is a tad steep but what choice do they have? i really like Diop as a role player. there are a lot worse players making a lot more money

NastaMaverick
haha block shots, rebound and play defense, something that almost no1 else on Dallas does
All of which he does poorly.

sixerfan3511
07-02-2008, 04:16 PM
All of which he does poorly.

not really, he does a pretty good job, at least better than Dampier...who is overpaid even more

NastaMaverick
07-02-2008, 04:17 PM
not really, he does a pretty good job, at least better than Dampier...who is overpaid even more
true. but hes not much better.

UConnCeltics
07-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Mav's are screwed... they invest too much money in losers who are one demensional. First Green now Diop.

B-Mac
07-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Starting at 6 mil???

Does that mean it will drop over the years?

BFRESH44
07-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Full MLE for Diop? :roll: :roll:

Skywalker
07-02-2008, 04:22 PM
hopefully lol

but I remember when a guy by the name of Dampier got 6 yr/42 mill Im pretty sure it was Dampier

sixerfan3511
07-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Mav's are screwed... they invest too much money in losers who are one demensional. First Green now Diop.

how much in green tho? not much, for a guy with his potential i wouldn't put that one in the same category as Diop

UConnCeltics
07-02-2008, 04:24 PM
how much in green tho? not much, for a guy with his potential i wouldn't put that one in the same category as Diop
All Green does is use his atheleticism.

sixerfan3511
07-02-2008, 04:25 PM
All Green does is use his atheleticism.

he hasn't been given a chance anywhere he's been. He's what...21 years old? he still has a lot of potential

UConnCeltics
07-02-2008, 04:28 PM
he hasn't been given a chance anywhere he's been. He's what...21 years old? he still has a lot of potential
Well he's 21 and on his 4th team...

veilside23
07-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Perkins>Diop.. cant believe i said that.. Dallas needs to realize that they are overpaying a true center because they overpaid dampier who they thought was a center :D

DuMa
07-02-2008, 04:29 PM
that much for a bench player??

Emile
07-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Looks as if they wanted him bad and didn't want to let anything to the case. They had him prior so he brings nothing new. He's actually very valuable to them, overpaid yeah but a great addition. Although yeah, slightly overpriced. Heck, maybe even not anymore with how the market is going. Kwame was making 9 million for 3 years. Diop's contract pales in comparison.

UConnCeltics
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Looks as if they wanted him bad and didn't want to let anything to the case.
Well then, why did they trade him in the Kidd deal?

bigboi_baller
07-02-2008, 04:36 PM
The nets wanted him and the Mavs were desperate to make a trade after the George episode.

Emile
07-02-2008, 04:37 PM

I mean now, in the free agent market. Obviously they had him. Then they didn't have him. So they should be more than able to evaluate his worth to them. It's a very familiar territory for them with almost no unknowns at all. They know what he brings, they know for sure and obviously they wanted to acquire that back. So in that respect, they didn't want to let anything to the case, that's what I meant.

dirkdiggler41
07-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I love Diop and Dampier. People seems to rate them after what how they are payed and not what they do. Defend the paint, rebound and block shots.

I just dont hope we will overpay Diop that badly

ChuckOakley
07-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Jerome James Part II... The guys has one good post-season (like James), in this case a 2nd half against Duncan and next thing you know, he's Bill Russell

He's not a bad player if your a contender in the West, but not sure if he's worth that money, given his conditioning issues.

Career averages of

2 pts
4 rpg
1 blk
43% FG
14 minuutes

Career high in points... 10!

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/desagana_diop/career_stats.html

ChuckOakley
07-02-2008, 04:52 PM

Cause they knew, he was a half season rental to NJ and they would get him back this off-season... I called that the minute the deal happened... and wanted Bass so much more, whom Dallas fans would have given up over Diop at the time.

SCdac
07-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I can see him being "Jerome James Part II", but not to the same extent. James was over 30, has a good series defensively with the Sonics in 2005, and Isiah is an idiot. For Diop I'm thinking more, "Ben Wallace Part II" with those averages you posted up. Diop is still young, and the Mavs are essentially re-assembling their 05-06 roster with Kidd instead of Devin Harris, but I agree with anybody who says he's getting overpaid. Especially if a stacked team like the Celtics or Spurs comes away with a 20 PPG player in Corey Maggette for the full MLE, and keep their Kurt Thomas' or PJ Browns' around for the cheap (LLE), who are comparable to Diop.

boozehound
07-02-2008, 05:02 PM
well, its not like there was a ton of top notch 4/5 s in jersey he had to compete with for time. if he couldnt get solidly in the rotation there.... and hes had plenty of chances. hell, he practically split the 5 with damp in dallas before. thats plenty of a chance. good player within his limitations, but not worth that. hell I though nazr wasnt worth the 5 a year we signed him for and hes a much more well rounded player than diop.

boozehound
07-02-2008, 05:04 PM
my bad. misread your post. shouldve been obvious since diop is 25 or whatever. :hammerhead:

still, a terrible team like minny and he couldnt break the rotation? he got his ass waived as I recall. twice in one season

Nets fan 93
07-02-2008, 05:05 PM
WTF are the mavs doing that is the most retarded thing lol.
Jason Collins with more hops...:roll:
First Kidd then this long term deal... why are they helping us out so much?

ukballer
07-02-2008, 05:11 PM
At least they know what they are getting I suppose.

But using almost all of your Mid Level Exception on him? C'mon...

Miller Time
07-02-2008, 05:50 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/GustenL/Diop-GIF-1.gif

It's raining money on Diop!

knickballer
07-02-2008, 05:57 PM
This signing means much more. It will push Dampier to actually try, they will compete for the starting job and one of them will benefit. Maybe Dampier will stop being lazy and actually does something. Diop is not a bad player, he's a young Ben Wallace.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/GustenL/Diop-GIF-1.gif

It's raining money on Diop!
:oldlol:

full mle for a 7 foot center that can't/wont even dunk the ball :oldlol:
and the guy actually regressed his last year in dallas.

way to screw yourself and the mavs cuban.

Posterize246
07-02-2008, 09:29 PM
mark cuban --> :hammerhead:

GOBB
07-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I will paypal anyone $100 if they can compose a good answer to why Diop is worth $30mil over the next 5yrs.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-02-2008, 10:21 PM
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8976/dumbmbt1nf5.jpg
credit: stereolith db.com

Jimmy2k8
07-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Oh god....I just looked at Diop's career averages and I thought his averages were a bit higher...

:oldlol:

shaoyut
07-02-2008, 11:57 PM
lol they offered him too much

boozehound
07-03-2008, 12:05 AM
This signing means much more. It will push Dampier to actually try, they will compete for the starting job and one of them will benefit. Maybe Dampier will stop being lazy and actually does something. Diop is not a bad player, he's a young Ben Wallace.
Yes, just like it pushed damp the first 3 years they played on the same team:confusedshrug:
dudes a 7ft and really nothing like ben wallace. decent defender, but nowhere near prime wallace in really any skill set. maybe better offensively:roll:

fos
07-03-2008, 12:08 AM
I will paypal anyone $100 if they can compose a good answer to why Diop is worth $30mil over the next 5yrs.

His career per 36 mpg is about 10 rebs and 3 blocks per game? And while he's not a good offensive player he gets put back dunks and he keeps guards out of the paint. Him and Damp make a nice combo at center.

R.I.P.
07-03-2008, 03:36 AM

Agreed. Especially since the Mavs main problem are points in the paint.

tsforthrees
07-03-2008, 04:35 AM

diop it like its hot

SCdac
07-03-2008, 05:08 AM
His career per 36 mpg is about 10 rebs and 3 blocks per game? And while he's not a good offensive player he gets put back dunks and he keeps guards out of the paint. Him and Damp make a nice combo at center.

But for a combined 67 millions dollars??? (Damp has 3 years left at 10+ mill per year)

His "per 36" are ok, but when will he ever play 36 minutes a game? For his career he's only averaged half that (and he's going into his eighth season, not new to the league). The two seasons where he did average more than 18 minutes per game, he was getting more personal fouls (3.0) than points per game (2.4)...

Yeah, all that matters is how well the Mavs do this season, and how Diop will be a solid contributor on the defensive end, but they sure didn't mind shelling out the dough for him. Mavs have the second highest payroll in the league this season, behind only the Knicks - and not much to show for it. If Avery got canned and is taking all the heat (he did get COY with the Mavs, brought them to the Finals, and a 67-win season), Carlisle is going to have to have some pretty immediate success. I wonder if they'll do more than add Diop and Gerald Green, though.

tsforthrees
07-03-2008, 05:10 AM
But for a combined 67 millions dollars??? (Damp has 3 years left at 10+ mill per year)

His "per 36" are ok, but when will he ever play 36 minutes a game? For his career he's only averaged half that (and he's going into his eighth season, not new to the league). The two seasons where he did average more than 18 minutes per game, he was getting more personal fouls (3.0) than points per game (2.4)...

Yeah, all that matters is how well the Mavs do this season, and how Diop will be a solid contributor on the defensive end, but they sure didn't mind shelling out the dough for him. Mavs have the second highest payroll in the league this season, behind only the Knicks - and not much to show for it. If Avery got canned and is taking all the heat (he did get COY with the Mavs, brought them to the Finals, and a 67-win season), Carlisle is going to have to have some pretty immediate success. I wonder if they'll do more than add Diop and Gerald Green, though.

he's forcing the issue so he can get paypalled. in this situation tho, GOBB is cuban. cuban had to get talked into 60 million while GOBB is only getting talked into 100 bucks

Aussie Dunker
07-03-2008, 05:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfcIurk25Zs

hahaha Diop = GOAT actor

Silverbullit
07-03-2008, 07:43 AM

That's the reason why they signed Diop.
Dampier+Diop can play more minutes than Dampier alone. So Dirk doesn't have to play center to much minutes. It's a expensive move, but it makes sense.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-03-2008, 08:33 AM

The last year of his contract is a team option. And it is incentive based on all-star game appearances, minutes, etc. So he doesn't have 3 years left, he only has 2 years left.

Silverbullit
07-03-2008, 08:54 AM
The last year of his contract is a team option. And it is incentive based on all-star game appearances, minutes, etc. So he doesn't have 3 years left, he only has 2 years left.

I don't think you are right.

Dampier has three years left:
2008-2009 $11,553,000
2009-2010 $12,115,500
2010-2011 $13,078,000

http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/mavs/mavs-news/mavs-con.html#com

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Yes, I know it is 7 year 73 million. But at the time of the signing Mark Cuban said the last year was incentive based. David Lord has reported that numerous times. It is based on if he makes the all-star game, etc.

The Mavs are not paying Damp in the 10-11 year if he hasn't met those incentives. Essentially it is a team option.

Just out by Fish on DB.com...Not bad huh?
Going Long
Sources: Damp Offered 6-Year Deal

By Mike Fisher and David Lord -- DallasBasketball.com
The contract being formed by the Mavs with sign-and-trade target Erick Dampier, DallasBasketball.com has learned, is similar in structure to the seven-year, $70 million deal once given center Raef LaFrentz, except with a team opt-out for the final year.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported this:

what's notable is that the final year of Dampier's contract (2010-11 season) becomes guaranteed if he makes two All-Star teams."

And to throw one more in... here is what ESPN Insider reported:

Insider has learned the details of Dallas' seven year, $73.3 million dollar contract with Erick Dampier. His first-year salary is $7.7 million. The last year of his contract, worth more than $13 million, is conditional on Dampier playing in three All-Star games in the first six years of his contract OR playing 2,100 minutes in a minimum of 70 games during the 2009-10 season.

Jimmy2k8
07-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Has anybody noticed that Diop looks similar to Buford Bubba blue from Forrest Gump? :roll:

http://www.seedproject.org/players/image001.jpg

http://thenastyboys.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/bubba.jpg

bagelred
07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Has anybody noticed that Diop looks similar to Buford Bubba blue from Forrest Gump? :roll:

http://www.seedproject.org/players/image001.jpg

http://thenastyboys.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/bubba.jpg

That is unbelieably racist. I can't believe you'd make a comment like that. I am so appalled at......

....hey ya know what?......they DO look alot alike....LOL.....omg......

"I likes all types of shrimp.....with $6 million a year...that's a whole lot of shrimp......"

LOL...Bubba......

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
07-03-2008, 10:27 AM
way to much money for Diop.

R.I.P.
07-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Insider has learned the details of Dallas' seven year, $73.3 million dollar contract with Erick Dampier. His first-year salary is $7.7 million. The last year of his contract, worth more than $13 million, is conditional on Dampier playing in three All-Star games in the first six years of his contract OR playing 2,100 minutes in a minimum of 70 games during the 2009-10 season.

For some reason I have a feeling that Dampier will get pulled at the 2099 minute mark. :oldlol: :oldlol:

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
For some reason I have a feeling that Dampier will get pulled at the 2099 minute mark.

No reason to do that. He hasn't cracked the 2000 minute barrier since he became a Maverick.

RapsFan
07-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Wow, how much $$ are the Mavs spending now on that Kidd deal. When you add them using the entire MLE a few months later to get Diop back.

This is a Jerome James type deal.

Jimmy2k8
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
That is unbelieably racist. I can't believe you'd make a comment like that. I am so appalled at......

....hey ya know what?......they DO look alot alike....LOL.....omg......

"I likes all types of shrimp.....with $6 million a year...that's a whole lot of shrimp......"

LOL...Bubba......

Not really racisim. Funny coincidence

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Wow, how much $$ are the Mavs spending now on that Kidd deal. When you add them using the entire MLE a few months later to get Diop back.

This is a Jerome James type deal.

Not as much as you think. Kidd expires at the end of next season. And getting ridd of Hassell's contract was pretty big. Plus, the other guys they got in the trade, Malik Allen, etc are free agents so essentially it was a Kidd/Harris deal.

And Kidd's got 20 mil coming off the books next year.

fefe
07-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Poor Diop!
He was underrated, and very good value for his contract until now.

Now he is another overpayed scrub

I doubt he misses any sleep because of this with his 35 mill in his pocket though:)

bagelred
07-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Mark Cuban, for signing a backup center to a multimillion 5 year contract....

....you just got Jerome James-ed!!!!!!

http://www.knicksonline.com/images/players/big/Jerome_James_250.jpg

steve franchise
07-03-2008, 08:25 PM
u've got to be kidding me, first Cuban trades the whole team for an old point guard, and know hes giving away money on a center thats backup.????
lol

hawkfan
07-03-2008, 08:37 PM
This must mean Dampier is on the trading block.

They should be able to get a solid wing in return for him.

bagelred
07-03-2008, 09:52 PM
u've got to be kidding me, first Cuban trades the whole team for an old point guard, and know hes giving away money on a center thats backup.????
lol

Wait....first you're upset that they traded Diop for an old point guard...but then you are upset they get Diop back?

Sounds like a flip-flop to me. Don't run for president.

hawkfan
07-03-2008, 09:53 PM

Bigs always get overpaid.

Nothing new here.

hawkfan
07-03-2008, 09:55 PM

He's not, but he is the best big at MLE level money out there.

He's better than Kwame Brown or any of the other free agent bigs.

bagelred
07-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by GOBB

Because he was the best big man available, the Mavericks only had Dampier as a big, Diop is a super nice guy, and Cuban doesn't care what he spends, he wants to get his man.

Do you want my PayPal number?

kentatm
07-03-2008, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE]An NBA source has informed Dallasbasketball.com to not jump too soon on the notion that the Mavs have exhausted the full MLE on DeSagana Diop, telling us that Dallas is attempting to instead work with New Jersey to swap the center in a sign-and-trade.

"(Dallas) has a financial deal with Diop (for the MLE-level money of about $5.7 mil for five years) but that doesn't mean it has to be for the MLE,'' the source says. "(The Mavs are) trying to avoid that.''

It would in fact be beneficial for all parties to attempt an S&T with the Nets. Diop gets his money either way. New Jersey would get something in exchange for the departing 7-footer. (Expiring contracts?) And the Mavs would get Diop and the freedom to use the MLE to pursue wish-list free agents like Corey Maggette, James Posey, Eddie Najera and others.

A couple of notes here:

* From what we are gathering, the Mavs would like to S&T with the Nets without forfeiting Devean George, who the team believes still has value here as a player.

* That elevates Eddie Jones and his expiring as a prominent piece in any such deal.

* We get re-confirmation from another source on Dallas' very high opinion of Boston free agent James Posey

bagelred
07-03-2008, 10:16 PM
link (http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullArchiveColumn.php?id=2942)

This makes no sense to me. What do the Mavericks have that the Nets want? They already raped Mavs of two first round picks. Why do the Nets want any more players? They have enough.

kentatm
07-03-2008, 10:23 PM
This makes no sense to me. What do the Mavericks have that the Nets want? They already raped Mavs of two first round picks. Why do the Nets want any more players? They have enough.

cap space from expiring deals to get ready to try and sign LeBron.

Eddie Jones is expiring after this year, Stackhouse has only a small amount guaranteed following this year, Devean George can be S&Td for any amount and would surely be open to a one or two year large payday, Dampier only has two years left guaranteed on his fat contract.

The Mavs are not in as bad a shape as some are making them out to be.

BlogOFfatman
07-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Because he was the best big man available, the Mavericks only had Dampier as a big, Diop is a super nice guy, and Cuban doesn't care what he spends, he wants to get his man.

Do you want my PayPal number?

Cuban does care what he spends now... hes has become very cautious with his money the past 3 or 4 years.

Nets fan 93
07-03-2008, 10:37 PM
If I was GM I would want Gerald Greeen and Antione Wright and call it a deal :D

ZHAKIDD532
07-03-2008, 10:46 PM
I think the Nets are going to S&T Krstic to that 3rd team in the same deal to get a decent SF...

Antoine Wright/Eddie Jones/(depends on who the 3rd team could be)

all possibilities...

bagelred
07-04-2008, 12:06 AM
I think the Nets are going to S&T Krstic to that 3rd team in the same deal to get a decent SF...

Antoine Wright/Eddie Jones/(depends on who the 3rd team could be)

all possibilities...

Nets should keep Nenad. He has all the "upside" that people want.

ZHAKIDD532
07-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Nets should keep Nenad. He has all the "upside" that people want.
The Nets have tons of bigs already...they don't really need Krstic...

bagelred
07-04-2008, 10:13 AM
The Nets have tons of bigs already...they don't really need Krstic...

Trade someone else. Sean Williams is overrated. They should trade him while his value is high.

Mateo
07-04-2008, 10:18 AM
i'm sure this will get them over the hump. :oldlol:

steve franchise
07-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Wait....first you're upset that they traded Diop for an old point guard...but then you are upset they get Diop back?

Sounds like a flip-flop to me. Don't run for president.
Im not upset with this ****,the stupid one here is Cuban, and the mavs.
And they didnt trade Diop for Kidd. :roll:

bagelred
07-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Im not upset with this ****,the stupid one here is Cuban, and the mavs.
And they didnt trade Diop for Kidd. :roll:

Yes they did. You first complained they traded away all their players for Kidd, then you are upset they want to resign one of them back.

Flip flop.

steve franchise
07-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Yes they did. You first complained they traded away all their players for Kidd, then you are upset they want to resign one of them back.

Flip flop.
They traded bunch of players, includidng Diop, Van Horn and Harris. They didnt trade Diop for Kidd; thats what u said. :wtf:
Im not upset on them resigning Diop, i really dont care about the mavs.

insidehoops
07-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Bump

GOBB
11-13-2008, 07:01 PM
lol Diop robbed Dallas.

NastaMaverick
11-14-2008, 06:01 PM
lol Diop robbed Dallas.
:banghead: