PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, Sonic Fans. (A Sad Sad Day)

catzhernandez
07-03-2008, 04:11 AM
God, I couldn't think of a worse feeling than losing your favorite team. RBP and the rest of you Sonics fans, I mourn for you, for you have lost your team. In a way, they died tonight, RIP.

Bulls2333
07-03-2008, 04:23 AM
Very depressing. The NBA will never be the same without the Super-Sonics. I'm sorry to hear the news, Seattle. I can't believe how this played out.

catzhernandez
07-03-2008, 04:27 AM
I wonder where things all turned sour with this franchise? Was it when they traded GP?

$14.98
07-03-2008, 05:40 AM
Yep. I think it was when Howard Shultz traded GP.

But it didn't end there. They didn't extend Coach Nate McMillan's contract.

Ray Allen was eventually traded to the Celts. Rashard was a FA and signed with the Magic.

And I forgot what happened to Vin Baker. He got fat and depressed or something and was traded to the Celts in 2001 (?)

yeah...but I am optimistic for an expansion team.

JellyBean
07-03-2008, 09:16 AM
It is very sad news. I grew up a Sonics fan. Followed them for 30 years, even when we got our team in Minnesota, I was still keeping up with the Sonics.

Now, I see why folks always say "Never have a favorite team. Because sooner or later they will break your heart." Well, good bye fellow Sonic fans and friends.

step_back
07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
i'm not a sonics fan but I have to say this is some of the worst news I have heard in a while, it must be very hard for sonics fans right now I can't believe the selfishness that is involved in this it shouldn't be allowed.

babybulls85
07-03-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm really sorry to hear the news, I loved the Bulls vs Sonics Battles back in the day.

As for when things went sour, I think it was 2 issues, the old owner sold to a group of OKC investors, which was dumb. Also, the city had so many issues preventing a new stadium that they lost David Stern's support.

jailer
07-03-2008, 12:16 PM
I feel real bad for the city. They have always been there for th sonics. The people of memphis take the grizzlies for granted. I too have done that. But after seeing the sonics taken away. I will root for my grizz every game win or lose.

mateo31
07-03-2008, 01:32 PM
The basketball fans of Seattle and the state of Washington for that matter deserve much better. :(

Kumo
07-03-2008, 02:14 PM
This sucks, I feel horrible. Pretty selfish of the new owner (Bennet?). If theres a new team will you support...? Can you keep us updated..?

And again, for the hell of it...
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/BentleyCntlGT/stern2.jpg

RainierBeachPoet
07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
man

i am depressed

check out this old thread though!!

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16822

catzhernandez
07-03-2008, 04:13 PM
man

i am depressed

check out this old thread though!!

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16822
That was such a great thread, good read.

I personally love your piece in the article forum, myself. Props. :cheers:

What will you do, RBP? Which team will you support now?

DaveM123
07-03-2008, 05:59 PM
My condolences to the city of Seattle! That sucks bigtime!
The NBA aint gonna be the same without the Sonics.:(

Chalkmaze
07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
guess the Sene pick wasn't a good one, since they needed more immediate help

Zan Tabak
07-04-2008, 09:11 PM
My condolences Sonic fans ..I hate to see any city lose a team..

I'll always remember Gary Payton as a Sonic he was my favorite player growing up!..

http://www.frontiernet.net/~shharpo/glove/pics/sonics1.jpg

$14.98
07-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the sympathy everyone.

But who is optimistic for an expansion team?

DinoRadja40
07-05-2008, 10:15 AM
They may have taken the Sonic, but they can never have Grundge Rock. Keep Seattle Sleezy you guyz!

intrinsic
07-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I didn't follow it as closely as I should have, but why was Renton the proposed site? Did Bennett have some kind of development deal worked out for the land surrounding a new arena? I know there's been efforts to stimulate growth in Renton, but what was Bennett's interest here?

While doing some rough research this morning, I learned that Bennett had donated to the campaign of the previous mayor of Renton -- Keolker -- who was up for re-election(and lost).

Interesting, since this diverted much needed attention and resources from the more serious issues in Renton. ie population density, crime rate, infrastructure improvements, attracting business. On the surface, it appears that the Sonics move would solve a good portion of those issues, but Mayor Keolker and Clay Bennett seemed to be posturing for the camera with no real consideration of a Renton move. In turn, the studies were nothing more than empty proposals aimed at positive PR. (Bennett appearing to make efforts to keep the Sonics in Seattle, and Keolker with the appearance of "saving" her own city.)

RainierBeachPoet
07-05-2008, 01:09 PM
On the surface, it appears that the Sonics move would solve a good portion of those issues, but Mayor Keolker and Clay Bennett seemed to be posturing for the camera with no real consideration of a Renton move. In turn, the studies were nothing more than empty proposals aimed at positive PR. (Bennett appearing to make efforts to keep the Sonics in Seattle, and Keolker with the appearance of "saving" her own city.)
yeah

bennett just used the renton proposal to show he tried to get a new arena. he knew full well that the seattle mayor/council didnt want to lose the focus off the key arena and the overall well being of the seattle center

bennett was slick in being able to publicly divert the attention off of his true goal: move the team to okc

RainierBeachPoet
07-05-2008, 01:11 PM
That was such a great thread, good read.

I personally love your piece in the article forum, myself. Props. :cheers:

What will you do, RBP? Which team will you support now?

i have always secondarily cheered for the knicks and clippers. i will probably adopt the closest team-- the blazers -- we'll see once the season gets going

roy and webster are from seattle

intrinsic
07-05-2008, 01:40 PM
yeah

bennett just used the renton proposal to show he tried to get a new arena. he knew full well that the seattle mayor/council didnt want to lose the focus off the key arena and the overall well being of the seattle center

bennett was slick in being able to publicly divert the attention off of his true goal: move the team to okc

Yeah. Its sad how destructive these business dealings can be. That Renton Mayor was acting as an extension of Bennett. I can be grateful for one thing however, this move is a bit easier to digest as an adult. Not trying to soften the blow, but I would be devastated as a child. Really, this would rank up there with the loss of a loved one. As a longtime Bellevue resident, it still hurts though. I have visions of Michael Cage doing work down low (at 6'9 no less) with Hersey Hawkins draining that beautiful perimeter shot. Along with DJ, they were my favorite sonics of all time. I know they weren't career sonics or all-time greats, but I loved these players and what they brought to the team.

$14.98
07-05-2008, 02:07 PM

MiamiHeatFan79
07-05-2008, 05:15 PM
ill always remeber the finals that the bulls and sonics played in. sure they lost but they played a hell of a sries againt the jordan led bulls. i know you guys will have an expansion team someday or heck maybe even another team that relocates. i cant see toronto keeping the raptors forever and maybe even the clippers i cant see them staying in los angeles with the lakers forever being in the limelight.

NickZeppelin
07-05-2008, 09:32 PM
The Sonics lost their team because their government and people took the team for granted till it was way too late. That's what this all comes down to. If it wasn't OKC it was going to be someone from Vegas or Kansas City or Louisville or somewhere else that was going to take the Sonics away.

RainierBeachPoet
07-05-2008, 10:51 PM
The Sonics lost their team because their government and people took the team for granted till it was way too late. That's what this all comes down to. If it wasn't OKC it was going to be someone from Vegas or Kansas City or Louisville or somewhere else that was going to take the Sonics away.

http://www.abluestar.com/utilities/rndimages/img/asr-drinks.jpg

catzhernandez
07-05-2008, 11:07 PM
:roll:

$14.98
07-06-2008, 02:10 AM
^^ ditto

NickZeppelin
07-06-2008, 11:13 AM
You guys can not like what I said but it doesn't make it not true.

$14.98
07-06-2008, 02:14 PM
It may not be untrue but there is no need to kick us while we are down.

Us Sonics fans have to deal with a major loss. You initial post was unnecessary.

RainierBeachPoet
07-06-2008, 08:01 PM

i was just reacting nz

you, in part, right. our politicos let us down but that was a secondary reason the sonics left-- not a primary reason

A.M.G.
07-14-2008, 02:35 PM
ill always remeber the finals that the bulls and sonics played in. sure they lost but they played a hell of a sries againt the jordan led bulls. i know you guys will have an expansion team someday or heck maybe even another team that relocates. i cant see toronto keeping the raptors forever and maybe even the clippers i cant see them staying in los angeles with the lakers forever being in the limelight.
Hey, phuck you! if you had sai that in my presence I would have knocked your teeth out, *****!!! The Raptors have among the best attendance in the NBA in a fast growing city of over 5 million, they sell out pretty much every game, they aren't going anywhere ever, so go **** yourselves Sonics fans, you can't have the Raptors!

Maybe you get the Grizzlies or the Kings eventually, who knows? BUT NOT THE RAPTORS!!!!!!

$14.98
07-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Take it easy A.M.G.

Since those OCK pigs took our team, I know what it feels like to lose a team so I wouldn't wish on Toronto to lose the Raptors.

If Seattle ever gets a team again, it will be a new expansion team (blank slate).

A.M.G.
07-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Take it easy A.M.G.

Since those OCK pigs took our team, I know what it feels like to lose a team so I wouldn't wish on Toronto to lose the Raptors.

If Seattle ever gets a team again, it will be a new expansion team (blank slate).
I wasn't actually angry at Sonics fans, just that retard Miami fan. The Raptors are in Toronto to stay, so look elsewhere for a team to steal back.

Seriously, I am deeply sorry that the Sonics got moved. I mean, this is a storied franchise we're talking about, not the Vancouver Grizzlies or the Charlotte Bobcats. They won a Championship, they've been around for 40 years at least! How does the league allow them to get stolen by some Oklahomo chump?? I can't even imagine what Sonics fans are going through, but I suggest you cheer for the fairly nearby Portland Trailblazers, who should be legit contenders in a few years if Greg Oden's potential comes to fruition. Once Seattle gets another NBA franchises and renames it the Sonics, all will be right again.

RainierBeachPoet
07-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Hey, phuck you! if you had sai that in my presence I would have knocked your teeth out, *****!!! The Raptors have among the best attendance in the NBA in a fast growing city of over 5 million, they sell out pretty much every game, they aren't going anywhere ever, so go **** yourselves Sonics fans, you can't have the Raptors!

Maybe you get the Grizzlies or the Kings eventually, who knows? BUT NOT THE RAPTORS!!!!!!
i guess you didnt see my thread stating the case against raiding existing teams

this is a league problem in pitting owners who can easily hold a gun to the head of a community and threaten to move if they do not receive what they desire

dont you think that the avid fans in sacramento and memphis would feel similiarly to you about their teams getting raided?

i think the seattle, and the other cities too, ought to hold out for expansion-- if that can happen

RainierBeachPoet
07-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Take it easy A.M.G.

not necessarily

an existing team could move here...

RainierBeachPoet
07-15-2008, 09:41 AM
I wasn't actually angry at Sonics fans, just that retard Miami fan. The Raptors are in Toronto to stay, so look elsewhere for a team to steal back.

Seriously, I am deeply sorry that the Sonics got moved. I mean, this is a storied franchise we're talking about, not the Vancouver Grizzlies or the Charlotte Bobcats. They won a Championship, they've been around for 40 years at least! How does the league allow them to get stolen by some Oklahomo chump?? I can't even imagine what Sonics fans are going through, but I suggest you cheer for the fairly nearby Portland Trailblazers, who should be legit contenders in a few years if Greg Oden's potential comes to fruition. Once Seattle gets another NBA franchises and renames it the Sonics, all will be right again.
this is exactly what we thought about the sonics in seattle before shultz sold the team in 2006

now, i am leaning toward the blazers myself

$14.98
07-15-2008, 11:22 AM
not necessarily

an existing team could move here...

What I meant to say is I would prefer an expansion team as opposed to raiding another city's team.

MasterDurant24
09-06-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm glad the Sonics moved cause now they're closer to me. :banana: :hammertime: ( I live in Houston)

RainierBeachPoet
09-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm glad the Sonics moved cause now they're closer to me. :banana: :hammertime: ( I live in Houston)

i hate to break it to ya: the sonics no longer exist
:violin:

Sonics4Life
05-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Seattle SuperSonics fans pay tribute to their lost team:

PART 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOWrpbUWi_s

T-Mac
08-20-2010, 10:16 AM
:(

CatchAndShoot
10-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Is dis place still alive :banana:

CatchAndShoot
11-03-2010, 06:38 PM
My Brothers we must band together.

tstmusic
11-17-2010, 06:36 PM
I have a lot of old sonics articles and pictures, especially of GP that I have collected over the years. Any BIG Sonics fans out there interested give me a shout and ill send you some pics of all I got.

tshawntrent@yahoo.com

CatchAndShoot
11-23-2010, 02:35 AM
MAhhhhh brothers.

Math2
12-02-2010, 06:00 PM

lol:roll: