PDA

View Full Version : Why is every star shooting guard wearing an armband?

gobbledygookie
07-06-2008, 06:59 PM
It started with Allen Iverson in Philly, where he had to wear an armband due to injury, but now it seems every superstar guard has one. Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, Ray Allen recently, and the list goes on and on. Could it all be a coincidence? Me and my cousin are laughing about it all the time about how peculiar this all is.

Is there some conspiracy I'm missing or is it all pure coincidence?

ForceOfNature
07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I noticed a while ago that they all used to wear armpads. Don't know why it is but it's some star swingman ritual I guess. Now it's the long armbands. Also, they usually have it on their non-shooting arm which is interesting. And yeah I usually don't see point guards or big men wear em. It's probably because they talk about it at the meetings of the SSSS (Secret Society of Star Swingmen).

1~Gibson~1
07-06-2008, 07:11 PM
I noticed a while ago that they all used to wear armpads. Don't know why it is but it's some star swingman ritual I guess. Now it's the long armbands. Also, they usually have it on their non-shooting arm which is interesting. And yeah I usually don't see point guards or big men wear em. It's probably because they talk about it at the meetings of the SSSS (Secret Society of Star Swingmen).its kinda hard to explain but it helps them shoot better.

Heat's Finest
07-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Maybe they think it looks stylish?.

DuMa
07-06-2008, 07:21 PM
when ray put it on during the celtics playoff run. it seemed to snap his bad shooting streak. so thats why ray has been wearin it since.

Im so nba'd out
07-06-2008, 07:22 PM
It's a secret blackman code that you wouldn't understand and that i am not aloud to tell you sorry:(

Nets fan 93
07-06-2008, 07:28 PM
You guys are forgeting about mo evans

BFRESH44
07-06-2008, 07:32 PM
It's a secret blackman code that you wouldn't understand and that i am not aloud to tell you sorry:(

:oldlol:

kidachi
07-06-2008, 08:23 PM
LeBron doesn't wear it regularly..

miller-time
07-06-2008, 08:34 PM
its kinda hard to explain but it helps them shoot better.

oooh.. so thats why steve nash, reggie miller, mark price, glen rice and larry bird were so good at it..

its purely for looks. players do not need that to shoot better.

one word. practice.

bigboi_baller
07-06-2008, 08:38 PM
LeBron doesn't wear it regularly..
Thats why Lebron can't shoot.

nicknamefrank
07-06-2008, 11:00 PM
It's because they have a tattoo that says F da police
they need an arm band to hide it

Raj Da Dodge
07-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Do you mean a sleeve? Also you forgot the main person who always wears one and that's T-Mac.

Sroek
07-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Jason Richardson and Gerald Wallace wear shooting sleeves.

A lot of guys wear them on their non-shooting hand arm. Only the elite wear them on their shooting arm: Kobe and AI.

Detroitguy113
07-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Don't see many hacks wearing them so I can't knock it, but I don't think it plays a big role in what anybody's doing.

Or maybe it's just the next step up from the Lance Armstrong baller bands.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6238/meloft7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6238/meloft7.bfbf841eda.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=257&i=meloft7.jpg)

1~Gibson~1
07-06-2008, 11:34 PM
oooh.. so thats why steve nash, reggie miller, mark price, glen rice and larry bird were so good at it..

its purely for looks. players do not need that to shoot better.

one word. practice.
When u shoot ur nonshooting hand is suppose to be straight and thats wat the sleeve is for. Also people wear it after they got tatted up. The guys that u mentioned are good shooter anyways, good shooters dont need them.

BrianScalabrine
07-06-2008, 11:57 PM
To protect them against fatigue from jacking too many bad shots!

MrEncinas
07-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Add Wade to the list.

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=202&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=3737928

Wade started wearing after his shoulder injury in 06-07. Back then it reached up to his shoulder, now it's just the arm band.

Silverbullit
07-07-2008, 12:03 AM
I noticed a while ago that they all used to wear armpads. Don't know why it is but it's some star swingman ritual I guess. Now it's the long armbands. Also, they usually have it on their non-shooting arm which is interesting. And yeah I usually don't see point guards or big men wear em. It's probably because they talk about it at the meetings of the SSSS (Secret Society of Star Swingmen).

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Killer_Instinct
07-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Never understood why people continue to lose sleep over this. It's a damn accessory. Wow!

YAWN
07-07-2008, 02:19 AM
to be distinguishable on the court for the people in the upper seats

clayton
07-07-2008, 03:01 AM
It helps hold/balance your arm muscle so you can control your arm better. Thus better shooting.

sixerfan82
07-07-2008, 10:38 AM
i remember when iverson started to wear one, an announcer mentioned the term "bursitis of the arm"

so it's either *bursitis* or because of a vulgar tat

Interminator
07-07-2008, 10:46 AM
It helps hold/balance your arm muscle so you can control your arm better. Thus better shooting.
It took a page but finally someone got it right.

After you start to play with one it becomes harder to shoot consistently without it.

Im so nba'd out
07-07-2008, 11:34 AM
A.I wears his because he has elbow problems.Tmac wears his because he has shoulder problems.

EvinWizzle
07-07-2008, 12:22 PM
A.I wears his because he has elbow problems.Tmac wears his because he has shoulder problems.
and kobe wears one because he wants to follow iverson :)

LJJ
07-07-2008, 12:23 PM
It took a page but finally someone got it right.

After you start to play with one it becomes harder to shoot consistently without it.

But why are some guys wearing it on the wrong arm?

http://images.allposters.com/images/PHO/bk_AAIF238_16x20.jpg
http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com/autographed/memorabilia/sports/collectibles/authentic/Cards/Carmelo_Anthony_Bowman5_Card_mid.jpg

Some guys even wear them on the wrong body part

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/Kobe.jpg

Dasher
07-07-2008, 12:26 PM
The tights were worn to keep muscles warm in the game. They help with circulation and help to prevent lactic acid build up. The sleeves are worn for the same reason, in addition to being fashionable the sleeve helps with the form of the J and helps with circulation. Players seem to get knicked up a lot on their nonshooting arms.

lilojmayo
07-07-2008, 03:07 PM
actually cats dawgs the real reason why allen iverson was forced to wear the armband is because of some of his tattoos were "bad" im not sure if gang related or something but i know thats a fact it was because of his tattoos and over the years it just became a fashion statement because it looked kinda cool no homo

If you dont believe me LBJ in HS was forced to cover up some of his tattoos because the OSHAA wouldnt allow it so he wore those white patches over it

BballFan422
07-07-2008, 03:49 PM
The tights were worn to keep muscles warm in the game. They help with circulation and help to prevent lactic acid build up. The sleeves are worn for the same reason, in addition to being fashionable the sleeve helps with the form of the J and helps with circulation. Players seem to get knicked up a lot on their nonshooting arms.

Exactly. It helps with circulation.

gobbledygookie
07-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Shooting sleeve eh? What do you know... I might even get one for myself just for the heck of it. Thanks for clearing it up. :cheers:

Never understood why people continue to lose sleep over this. It's a damn accessory. Wow!

Well, I thought it was strictly medical because of Iverson, but then everybody else started wearing them so it was a head-scratcher for me, that's all...I guess he can call dibs for making it fashionable. :cheers:

Jasper
07-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Arm band is like MJ - whip sweat off the eyebrow - to keep firing away jumpers

The Arm sleeve - is to identify to your team mates I'm the guy that jacks them up - not you .... :oldlol:

Detroitguy113
07-07-2008, 11:55 PM
I was going to buy one of these at Champs today just to act like a hardass with all the kids we play basketball with... even though I'm white and would look rediculous with it.. but their $15 eff that. I thought they would be like 5 or 6. On the package it was even like "WHAT THE PROS WEAR." Bahaha

Burgz
07-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Thats why Lebron can't shoot.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Big Al All day
07-08-2008, 03:17 PM
i think its just for fashion. In one of gilbert's blogs he talks about how he's going to wear one and its not for fashion like a lot of the other players have been doing.

Jailblazers7
07-08-2008, 03:26 PM
It probably is mainly done for style but it does help to keep the arm warm and the muscles loose. Some have pads at the elbow for protection. Iverson orginally wore his because his elbow was tender coming off surgery in the offseason and he has worn it ever since.

Lebron23
11-09-2009, 11:50 AM
What's the best brand of Armband?

kshutts1
11-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Wrong place to ask this, IMO. 90% of the people in here don't even know the reason they are worn, lol, and I imagine that the other 10% fall into my category: we know why it is worn, but would never wear one, or need to wear one, ourselves, so don't know the best brand.

StroShow4
11-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Star PF's wear them too!

http://www.nba.com/media/act_stromile_swift.jpg

HylianNightmare
11-09-2009, 12:17 PM
The mcdavid hex pads

nash4eva!gosuns
11-09-2009, 12:22 PM

Sorry. This had me Rollin. :roll:

Those tights look better on him than on me. :( :oldlol:

Lebron23
11-09-2009, 12:22 PM
The mcdavid hex pads

Prodigy
11-09-2009, 01:20 PM
What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure Bell doesn't wear one. That dude's a monster.

The_Yearning
11-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Oj Mayo wears one on both arms. That's G

MMM
11-09-2009, 02:07 PM
The NBA getting rid of tights was one of the best moves this decade.

ProfessorMurder
11-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Have you guys seen Rondo's chest pad thing? It's a rib/sternum protector.

It looks weird and uncomfortable to me.

sipitri
11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
But why are some guys wearing it on the wrong arm?

http://images.allposters.com/images/PHO/bk_AAIF238_16x20.jpg
http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com/autographed/memorabilia/sports/collectibles/authentic/Cards/Carmelo_Anthony_Bowman5_Card_mid.jpg

You, sir, just killed me :roll: :roll: :roll:

Rekindled
11-09-2009, 03:09 PM

Rudy Fernandez wears an armband also

Samurai Swoosh
11-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Do you mean a sleeve? Also you forgot the main person who always wears one and that's T-Mac.
T-Mac rarely wore the sleeve. He wore armbands (sweatbands) ... the man who started the sleeved shooting look was Iverson. This was back in 2001. And it should've remained that way. I wish Stern would ban the look from the league. It looks so retarded on damn near every person. I seen OJ Mayo has been rocking one on BOTH arms. Why? Iverson started it because for years he had a bad shooting elbow, and the sleeve had a pad and kept his elbow joint warm thus making it feel more comfortable while shooting.

Samurai Swoosh
11-09-2009, 03:16 PM
oops

nek1477
11-09-2009, 03:17 PM
You, sir, just killed me :roll: :roll: :roll:
actually there meant to keep your legs warm so they wont stiff up, thats why kobe was able to drop 40 almost every night in 05-06:bowdown:

KubiliusF
11-09-2009, 03:23 PM
sleeves , earings....all that stuff is faggish...but somehow black guys get away with it most of the time.

Samurai Swoosh
11-09-2009, 03:24 PM
sleeves , earings....all that stuff is faggish...but somehow black guys get away with it most of the time.
I doubt it can get as homo-ish as that picture next to your screen name.

Did you get that picture made in "Glamor Shots" at your local mall?

phoenix18
11-09-2009, 03:25 PM
A shooting sleeve? C'mon son.

KubiliusF
11-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I doubt it can get as homo-ish as that picture next to your screen name.

Did you get that picture made in "Glamor Shots" at your local mall?

yeah id card photos are like that...wait wut

Samurai Swoosh
11-09-2009, 03:30 PM
yeah id card photos are like that...wait wut
In other words ... why do you have a gay looking "id picture" of yourself in a forum dedicated to people's passion of BASKETBALL? See everyone else has a picture next to their screen name as something in relation to that hobby or enthusiasm? Yet you have a faggy looking picture which looks like it was made in the 80's at a Glamor Shots in a local mall.

:roll:

mackaveli
11-09-2009, 03:38 PM
the sleeve distracts defenders with its stylish good looks causing them to be mesmerized enough to allow the wearer to make the 3 pt attempt. /thread.

KubiliusF
11-09-2009, 03:42 PM
In other words ... why do you have a gay looking "id picture" of yourself in a forum dedicated to people's passion of BASKETBALL? See everyone else has a picture next to their screen name as something in relation to that hobby or enthusiasm? Yet you have a faggy looking picture which looks like it was made in the 80's at a Glamor Shots in a local mall.

:confusedshrug: you insecure?

bdreason
11-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Because selling Jerseys and shoes isn't enough?

purple32gold
11-09-2009, 04:06 PM
lol:oldlol: :oldlol:

Deltron3030
11-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Those tight undershirts, leggings etc. allegedly increase stamina and increase performance. Something about creating positive ions or something and blood flow - I'm sure I'm not explaining it correctly but there was one company in Europe that made those shirts years ago and they got banned in Soccer. If i can remember the name of the company I'll post it... I want to say it was Cadbury or something of that nature. I bought one of the undershirts you see in the NBA, but to answer the question, those are the reasons you seem NBA and NFL Players wearing them in games and during workouts - just to give them that extra edge.

In addition to that, many athletes where PPM Mouthguards - apparently they give you more flexibility somehow too. Sports these days - everyone is always looking for an edge. I remember when Ephedra was legal and many athletes were using that for that extra energy speed like burst, these clothing or more or less the same thing. Curious to see if they get banned eventually like they did for soccer (euro football).

If anyone can come up with that company name or website that would be great. They still sell those shirts but i just dont remember the name. Again, it was like CadburyUSA or something like that.

Deltron3030
11-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Just found it... it's called IonX shirts... Canterbury IonX.

Here is a youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6W9D_T9MzY

Here is also the PPM Mouthguard clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCq2JghkttA

HTH

nek1477
11-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Just found it... it's called IonX shirts... Canterbury IonX.

Here is a youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6W9D_T9MzY

Here is also the PPM Mouthguard clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCq2JghkttA

HTH
great find:applause:
no wonder the NBA banned the leggings after 06

miller-time
11-09-2009, 06:57 PM
could you imagine larry bird without sleeves, compression shorts and ionising undershirts. no one would even remember him.

TheAnchorman
11-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Ray Allen started wearing arm sleeves at a more consistent basis in the mid 2000s because everytime he would match up with Rip Hamilton his long ass 2-3 inch nails would dig deep into Ray's arm. NBA games are fiercer than you think.

LutherHeadJob
11-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Pretty sure someone has mentioned this by now but shooting sleeves increases metabolite removal by speeding up blood flow to working muscles, metabolite build up causes a decrease in muscle pH, and you get that burning feeling and blah blah blah and padding obviously helps blah blah.

Thats as simple as i can put it, but i am pretty sure 95% of the NBA wear it because it gives them streetcred

magnax1
11-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Even Shaq wears one anymore, which made me laugh a little when I saw it. Its weird how a guy so many people hated had such a huge impact on this decade (AI) I'd go as far to say, hes had the second largest impact on this decade of basketball, other than Michael Jordan.

Samurai Jack
11-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Even Shaq wears one anymore, which made me laugh a little when I saw it. Its weird how a guy so many people hated had such a huge impact on this decade (AI) I'd go as far to say, hes had the second largest impact on this decade of basketball, other than Michael Jordan.
pretty much........ who was really rocking head bands until he did??

josh99
11-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I wear an armband on my shooting hand... in NBA 2k10 anyways...

Abraham Lincoln
11-09-2009, 10:53 PM
:cheers:

Abraham Lincoln
11-09-2009, 10:54 PM
pretty much........ who was really rocking head bands until he did??
The volleyball player. :pimp:

http://bit.ly/13qAz1

mackaveli
11-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Ray Allen started wearing arm sleeves at a more consistent basis in the mid 2000s because everytime he would match up with Rip Hamilton his long ass 2-3 inch nails would dig deep into Ray's arm. NBA games are fiercer than you think.
lmao the darker side of the nba :pimp:

okayabc123
11-09-2009, 10:58 PM
I know one thing, Shaq is not wearing the armband so he can shoot better.

Shaq is on pace to shoot his lowest FG%, FT%, FTA in his career. It's safe to say the armband has not help the Big Aristotle.

Samurai Swoosh
11-09-2009, 11:20 PM
:confusedshrug: you insecure?
No, just think its funny when someone says black people are faggy for earings and what not ... and there you are with a picture of yourself with obviously more product in your hair than my sister would wear.

chauzer
11-10-2009, 04:40 PM
it looks retarded when you see people at pick up games / rec leagues / high schoolers wearing that ****

Nets fan 93
11-10-2009, 05:19 PM
It started with Allen Iverson in Philly, where he had to wear an armband due to injury, but now it seems every superstar guard has one. Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, Ray Allen recently, and the list goes on and on. Could it all be a coincidence? Me and my cousin are laughing about it all the time about how peculiar this all is.

Is there some conspiracy I'm missing or is it all pure coincidence?
Yeah... Melo and LeBron are Forwards... but i see what your saying...

VC has had one for as long as I can remember in his Jersey days...

It's also not even that peculiar... is it?:confusedshrug:

Lebron23
02-25-2012, 11:24 PM
I wear NBA Arm bands every time that I play basketball. I am planning to buy a shooting sleeves.

rodman91
02-25-2012, 11:46 PM
AI made cornrows, baggy shorts(and i mean really baggy shorts) and sleeves trademark of NBA.

AI even caused dress code (mostly) No wonder Stern hated that guy.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_C5Yl4tsSuOE/TMaiYxCcGcI/AAAAAAAABPY/zpV_CYEBzBM/s1600/allen+iverson+mvp.jpg

http://cdn.praisecleveland.com/files/2010/06/BIG-JAMES-AND-MVP-TROPHY-1.jpg

HAzE024
02-26-2012, 12:27 AM
AI made cornrows, baggy shorts(and i mean really baggy shorts) and sleeves trademark of NBA.

AI even caused dress code (mostly) No wonder Stern hated that guy.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_C5Yl4tsSuOE/TMaiYxCcGcI/AAAAAAAABPY/zpV_CYEBzBM/s1600/allen+iverson+mvp.jpg

hmmm in that pic AI has a shirt that says "Bad News".....that was the name of mile vick's kennel right?.....theyre both from Virginia right?......

fos
02-26-2012, 12:40 AM
It's because they think it makes them look cool. Star players can get away with it... when is the last time you saw a scrub with knee high socks, arm sleeve, wristbands, and a headband?

You should see my NBA2K12 player, he's a mess!

zizozain
02-26-2012, 12:52 AM
we need Lebron_23 here .. right now

Bob Cousy
02-26-2012, 12:54 AM
anyone who has ever played basketball at the high school level or higher will agree that attire makes you feel more like bad ass and more like a "star".

its just the way it is. I only wear leg sleeves though, the arm sleeves are overused.

:confusedshrug:

Meticode
02-26-2012, 01:05 AM
It's more a style statement than actual performance enhancer. Personally if I work out or play basketball I only wear a wrist band near my elbow on my left arm for wiping sweat off my face/head. That's about it.

christian1923
02-26-2012, 01:52 AM
for swag. obviously.