PDA

View Full Version : best nba pet moves

RainierBeachPoet
08-28-2006, 12:35 AM
what are your favorite nba player pet moves?

there are some classics like:

gervin's finger roll-- smooth as silk

t. hardaway's killer crossover-- too quick for the camera

hakeem's dream shake--get's guys going three different ways at the same time

kareem's skyhook--such a thing of beauty-- the sistine chapel of hoops :banana: :rockon: :bowdown:

what are others?

gr8_wun
08-28-2006, 12:40 AM
MJ's fadeaway
Bowen's feet under jumpshot

artificial
08-28-2006, 12:45 AM
rick barry's free throw form

tim duncan's bank shot

wang4three
08-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Vince Carter over Zo.

nash4eva!gosuns
08-28-2006, 01:10 AM
I just love Nash's Ball control...it's like...hypnotizing...

boshraptor4life
08-28-2006, 01:19 AM
Gary Payton's finger roll.

AIR SETH
08-28-2006, 01:25 AM
The MJ fade away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7TKvdTsFUU

RainierBeachPoet
08-28-2006, 01:35 AM
Gary Payton's finger roll.

i like gp's spin move even better :banana:

earl monroe's spin move had more flair, but still pretty effective

LakersDynasty
08-28-2006, 01:36 AM
MJ, Kobe-fadeaway
Malone, Stockton-Pick n Roll
AI-Crossover
Magic-No look passes

SsKSpurs21
08-28-2006, 01:40 AM
tony parker - tear drop

Dwight Shrute
08-28-2006, 01:48 AM
Peja's Choke Job

Rocker09
08-28-2006, 01:48 AM
MJ and Kobe's turdaround fadeaway shot
T-Mac's cross over then shoot
Ray Allen's quick release
The dream shake

Darsh
08-28-2006, 01:50 AM
carmelo's jab step to fade away.

joewait
08-28-2006, 01:52 AM
the Erick Dampier catch and drop move.

The Mamba
08-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Just for the record...

A.I.'s crossover > Tim Hardaway's crossover

Zombles
08-28-2006, 02:02 AM
The Diaw to Marion alley-oop became a favorite of mine this past season

mhsbasketball
08-28-2006, 02:21 AM
T-Mac and kobes pull up three in the transition
Terry, parker, boykins tear drop
Vince Carter windmill
AI crossover
Carmelo, Kobe jab step and shoot

The Mamba
08-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Kobe's crossover. (Actually God Shammgod's crossover, but he taught it to Kobe.)
A.I.'s crossover.
Kobe's 3-point shot from anywhere.
D. Wade's bank shot.
LeBron James and his game winning travels.

jdiddy
08-28-2006, 02:26 AM
Chris Dudley free throw.

LakersDynasty
08-28-2006, 02:29 AM
Mark Madsen-Fadeaway 3pt shot.

TheReturnofCed
08-28-2006, 03:03 AM
Gary Payton one-armed under arm alley-oop lob.

Karl Malone- Mailman dunk.

Y2Gezee
08-28-2006, 03:07 AM
LeBron James and his game winning travels.

Work like a charm don't they :D

Seriously in today's game I'd have to say Kobe's turnaround, and Carmelo's jab step.

All time, the sky hook and Jordan's turnaround

Zombles
08-28-2006, 03:10 AM
For this past season I'd like to add Elton Brand's spin + pull-up mid-range jump shot.

RainierBeachPoet
08-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Just for the record...

A.I.'s crossover > Tim Hardaway's crossover

i have been a fan of both for their whole careers, and as much as i love ai (he is still my current favorite prime-time player),

i must respectfully disagree with you mamba--- t.hardaways crossover was the best i have ever seen.

whereas ai gets a wider swing on his crossover with greater ball movement on the fake, tim's was a very quick 1-2 that literally was difficult to follow; it was much better appreciated in slo-mo.

he patented the move as the "utep two step" (although i like texas two step better)
:banana: :banana:

anyone seen vid clip around here of it? :confusedshrug:

ps-- here is hardaway talking about (he also sees similiarities with baron d and himself)

http://www.nba.com/features/takefive_index.html

RainierBeachPoet
08-28-2006, 09:32 AM
spencer haywood had an awesome mid range turnaround jumper both going clockwise or counterclockwise
:rockon:

Kobe24
08-28-2006, 09:36 AM
I like Mike James' crossover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moEW7Zzo0GU

dejordan
08-28-2006, 09:53 AM
in no order at all -

wilt's finger roll
kareem's sky hook
jordan's & kobe's: baseline drive / reverse; crossover pull up; fadeaway
magic's no look
bird's touch pass
iverson's wrap-around dribbled
timmy's killah crossover
gervin's finger roll
barkley's & shaq's drop step to slam / reverse
hakeem's dream shake
jazz (stockton malone) pick and roll
celtics (bird mchale) pick and roll
dirk's headfake - 1 dribble - pullup
wade's cossover to spin to bank shot
payton's reverse dribble spin high off the glass flip shot
mark price's runner (with the leg kicked out)
ewing's baseline turnaround
kidd's off-dribble, thrown from the hip, alleyhoop

Da KO King
08-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Hakeem- Dream Shake

Steve Smith- Fake Spin

Tim Hardaway- Killer Crossover aka UTEP Two Step

Magic Johnson- Power Slide Half Spin (so simple yet so effective; every perimeter player should be forced to learn this)

Phil Ford- Gravel Move aka In Out Crossover (first player to use that move and kill)

Kiki Vandewghe(sp?) - Kiki Move (Hi-Post Step back)

Allan Houston- 1 Dribble left pull up jumper. The most money shot I've seen. EVER.

God Shamgod- Shamgod Grab. Routinely made defenders fall with this move. Wish he had more time to develope as a player at the NBA level.

Paul Pierce- Reverse Pivot after the catch on the wing. You would think defenders would stop over playing the catch by now. At 6'8" 240 lbs if he gets his shoulder on you you're beaten.

Mark Jackson- Tear Drop. Gotta give credit to the originator.

dejordan
08-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Hakeem- Dream Shake

Steve Smith- Fake Spin

Tim Hardaway- Killer Crossover aka UTEP Two Step

Magic Johnson- Power Slide Half Spin (so simple yet so effective; every perimeter player should be forced to learn this)

Phil Ford- Gravel Move aka In Out Crossover (first player to use that move and kill)

Kiki Vandewghe(sp?) - Kiki Move (Hi-Post Step back)

Allan Houston- 1 Dribble left pull up jumper. The most money shot I've seen. EVER.

God Shamgod- Shamgod Grab. Routinely made defenders fall with this move. Wish he had more time to develope as a player at the NBA level.

Paul Pierce- Reverse Pivot after the catch on the wing. You would think defenders would stop over playing the catch by now. At 6'8" 240 lbs if he gets his shoulder on you you're beaten.

could you describe the Power Slide Half Spin? i watched a ton of magic johnson growing up, but i'm not sure what you're referring to here.

browntown
08-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Barkley: elbow to the face was great too.
Vinces: falling down after his knee injuiries.

Da KO King
08-28-2006, 10:50 AM
could you describe the Power Slide Half Spin? i watched a ton of magic johnson growing up, but i'm not sure what you're referring to here.Magic gets the ball on the left wing. He takes two protected power dribbles (back to the defender shielding ball dribbling like player in the post would) towards the foul line elbow. Majority of the time the defender
over plays the dribble giving Magic a half spin counter for a driving lay-up.

dejordan
08-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Magic gets the ball on the left wing. He takes two protected power dribbles (back to the defender shielding ball dribbling like player in the post would) towards the foul line elbow. Majority of the time the defender
over plays the dribble giving Magic a half spin counter for a driving lay-up.
yes. that was a great move that he used all the time. just never knew a name for it. it was almost a drop step from the high post, and he could finish with the scope or the runner style bank shot. did anyone ever protect the dribble as well as magic? he was so broad across the shoulders, and he could do that gary payton thing where he practically drove the ball facing backwards. double him and he'd hit somebody for the dime. don't double him, and he'll kill you. he was a bad man.

Da KO King
08-28-2006, 11:06 AM
yes. that was a great move that he used all the time. just never knew a name for it. it was almost a drop step from the high post, and he could finish with the scope or the runner style bank shot. did anyone ever protect the dribble as well as magic? he was so broad across the shoulders, and he could do that gary payton thing where he practically drove the ball facing backwards. double him and he'd hit somebody for the dime. don't double him, and he'll kill you. he was a bad man.As good as he was to me Magic is actually the worse example you can give a young point man in terms of how to play. You should teach them to take that Power Slide Half Spin but that's about it. Magic had the uncanny ability to play most of the game with his back to the basket do to his size. Most player will not be able to do that.

Also that move never had any real name. That's just what I call it.

dejordan
08-28-2006, 11:11 AM
As good as he was to me Magic is actually the worse example you can give a young point man in terms of how to play. You should teach them to take that Power Slide Half Spin but that's about it. Magic had the uncanny ability to play most of the game with his back to the basket do to his size. Most player will not be able to do that.

Also that move never had any real name. That's just what I call it.
agreed. nothing prototypical about magic. most pointguards would be making a mistake trying to emulate #32.

JalenRawley
08-28-2006, 01:21 PM

Allan Houston did one move that I watched a hundred times and tried to do damn near every time I got on the court, especially where it wasn't a good idea to do it :P But, I loved the move.. it was a simple behind the back dribble to fadeaway, but you timed it with a jab move towards the hoop, so you'd jab, dribble behind your back as you reversed your momentum and started moving backwards, then jump into the fadeaway as you bring the ball up. Really simple, but really effective when you get cut off on the baseline. I'm sure many players do this move, but only Allan Houston made me get up out of my seat with it.

I don't know who originated that tear drop, if it truly was Mark Jackson or not.. although he was -very- good at it. My favorite player to see doing that floating tear drop though was Miles Simon.

I never did like Gary Payton's left post drop step spin. It seemed like the only move he knew in the post, and nobody -ever- stopped him from doing it. It's one thing if a guy has a ton of moves and sneaks a couple of those in on you, but as soon as you saw GP in the post, you -knew- a drop step spin was coming. I can't believe how many people let him get that off on them.

A couple more:

Reggie Miller's ugly marionette fadeaway
Horace Grant's set shot at the top of the key
Michael Redd's quick release 3
Kevin McHale's up and under

And I really like watching Kevin Garnett drop step to a fadeaway. He's got a little bit of that MJ style to it.

Da KO King
08-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Allan Houston did one move that I watched a hundred times and tried to do damn near every time I got on the court, especially where it wasn't a good idea to do it :P But, I loved the move.. it was a simple behind the back dribble to fadeaway, but you timed it with a jab move towards the hoop, so you'd jab, dribble behind your back as you reversed your momentum and started moving backwards, then jump into the fadeaway as you bring the ball up. Really simple, but really effective when you get cut off on the baseline. I'm sure many players do this move, but only Allan Houston made me get up out of my seat with it.
That was Al's counter for the ! Dribble pull-up. If the defender was too tight on him to pull up he would go behind his back and pull-up.

Al was one of my favorites but also one of the most frustrating players to watch. If he ever developed some aggressiveness to his slashing game he would have been one of the most unstoppable scorers in the league.

indenial
08-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Dikembe Mutombo :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: get that shat outta here!

The Mamba
08-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Hakeem's Dream Shake. Made David Robinson and Shaq look like scrubs.

indenial
08-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Clyde Drexler's flipper kick.

JalenRawley
08-28-2006, 03:48 PM
That was Al's counter for the ! Dribble pull-up. If the defender was too tight on him to pull up he would go behind his back and pull-up.

Al was one of my favorites but also one of the most frustrating players to watch. If he ever developed some aggressiveness to his slashing game he would have been one of the most unstoppable scorers in the league.

I was a big fan of his when he was in Detroit with Grant Hill. I remember being so bummed when he went to New York, mainly because I hate everything there is to hate about New York (sorry all you New Yorkers, but it's part of growing up in Chicago), but at the time it didn't make any sense to me because Starks was still there in NY.

Da KO King
08-28-2006, 03:57 PM
In my opinion John Starks is the most over-rated player in Knicks history. His claim to fame was he played every minute like it was his last. That's great and I appreciate it. It doesn't change the fact that none of his skills were actually above average.

I'm a Knick fan but I was actually a little dissapointed to see Al leave Detroit. I think he and Grant Hill would have been on of the great perimeter duo's in league history.

dejordan
08-28-2006, 04:01 PM
In my opinion John Starks is the most over-rated player in Knicks history. His claim to fame was he played every minute like it was his last. That's great and I appreciate it. It doesn't change the fact that none of his skills were actually above average.

I'm a Knick fan but I was actually a little dissapointed to see Al leave Detroit. I think he and Grant Hill would have been on of the great perimeter duo's in league history.
not only that, but the knicks would have taken houston's money and given it to reggie... reggie on a team that set bone-cracking picks, with a deliberate low-post scorer, and a couple seasoned point guards = dangerous! i'd say things worked out for the pistons in the long run though...

SRZ66
08-28-2006, 04:12 PM
nash's hesitation move
ray's release
parker's ability to drive and finish so smoothly

The Mamba
08-28-2006, 04:18 PM
If you want to talk about overrated. We will talk about Tony Parker.

9spurs
08-28-2006, 04:20 PM
tony parker - tear drop

Ditto

9spurs
08-28-2006, 04:20 PM
tony parker - tear drop

Ditto

PMshooter
08-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Ewing's drop step in the post.
Jordan's turn around fader.
Mark Price's runner.
Dream Shake.
Hardaway's crossover.
Mark Jackson's tear drop.
Kevin Willis's hook shot.
Pippen's finger roll.
Charles's drop step.
Avery Johnson's running hook.

RainierBeachPoet
08-28-2006, 04:30 PM
I never did like Gary Payton's left post drop step spin. It seemed like the only move he knew in the post, and nobody -ever- stopped him from doing it. It's one thing if a guy has a ton of moves and sneaks a couple of those in on you, but as soon as you saw GP in the post, you -knew- a drop step spin was coming. I can't believe how many people let him get that off on them.

the players know the pet moves of one another,especially the guys they will be guarding one on one--- there are no secrets in the nba

but that is what makes pet moves so effective: knowing that a guy actually knows what you will do, but still cant stop it (most of the time at least):eek:

KWALI
08-28-2006, 04:31 PM

Remeber his combine numbers were better than Grant Hills interms of VERT that always made me scratch my headr.and he had a couple of dunk a season were you were like ...That's Allan Houston:eek: I rember one as a PIston and the other as a Knick where flew like Drexler like one step in from foul ine.

He had slow hands on teh dribble though he never worked enough on that.

Da KO King
08-28-2006, 04:33 PM
:cheers:

RainierBeachPoet
08-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Clyde Drexler's flipper kick.

'ol **** (richard) barnett of the 70s knicks had the same move but with more kick!!

:bowdown:

9spurs
08-28-2006, 04:34 PM

How the hell is he overrated?

The Mamba
08-28-2006, 04:35 PM
:cheers:
:pimp:

Da KO King
08-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Remeber his combine numbers were better than Grant Hills interms of VERT that always made me scratch my headr.and he had a couple of dunk a season were you were like ...That's Allan Houston:eek: I rember one as a PIston and the other as a Knick where flew like Drexler like one step in from foul ine.

He had slow hands on teh dribble though he never worked enough on that.
His hands weren't even that bad. It's jsut that he was so comfortable shooting from the perimeter he never aggressively went to the hoop.

When he aggressively went to the basket he was unstoppable.

The Mamba
08-28-2006, 04:44 PM
How about Bruce Bowen's Karate Kick... no one can stop it. Just ask Wally Z, and Jesus Shuttlesworth:

http://images.poundingtherock.com/images/admin/bowen_kick.gif

indenial
08-28-2006, 04:46 PM
How about Bruce Bowen's Karate Kick... no one can stop it. Just ask Wally Z, and Jesus Shuttlesworth:

http://images.poundingtherock.com/images/admin/bowen_kick.gif

Wax on wax off

RainierBeachPoet
08-28-2006, 04:47 PM

hey mamba-- good post on the "crossover" thread on the different type so crossovers! i guess i can appreciate the different styles of crossovers that ai and timmy have:banana:

i hadnt thought that the main difference between the effectiveness of the killer- crossover was that it was too quick or that players changed. i thought it was timmy was a victim to time and lost a half a step when he was with the heat as compared to his warrior days

Da KO King
08-28-2006, 04:47 PM
http://nuno.typepad.com/theabbott/images/newble1116hickman.jpg
What was worse Wally getting kicked or Mike Dunleavy getting kicked?

Cavs2007Champs
08-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Jordan's hang time and change of direction in mid air.

Payton's floater in the lane.

Hardaway's crossover

Jeff Hornecek's free throw's where he wipes his forehead everytime, along with Karl Malone taking the full 10 seconds 2 finally shoot a free throw.

George Gervin's finger roll is about as classic as it gets!!!

Shawn Kemp, any dunk how thunderous it was, and how much power he put in it.

raiderfan19
08-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Dirks triple pump one dribble left fadeaway. Its money.

BBallBeatwriter
08-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Though not a pet move, I love Jason Terry's 15-18 foot right-side jumper coming off a screen and curl

RainierBeachPoet
08-29-2006, 11:09 AM
jack sikma's inside pivot to set up his midrange jumper

why dont more people use the inside pivot--- so suble, so deceptive, creates good space

:confusedshrug:

RainierBeachPoet
08-30-2006, 02:44 AM
avery johnson's "rocker"

a fake behind the back pass that freezes the defender as he lays it in

i believe it was adapted from a 'ol pete maravich move where pete used to cup the ball to his forearm on the fake

lakersfoelyfe
08-30-2006, 06:02 AM
:bowdown: magic's no look pass

http://i4.tinypic.com/261g104.jpg

AKADS
08-30-2006, 06:10 AM
Tim Duncans bank shot

junwin
08-30-2006, 06:14 AM
VC's jab step to Baseline jam

Da KO King
08-30-2006, 10:07 AM
I absolutely hated Magic's "no-look". The only person's "no-look" I hated more was Mark Jackson. Looking at me then turning your head as you pass ain't a no-look. Seeing me early, then turning your head and passing a second later without looking is a no-look.

Shepseskaf
08-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Bernard King's lightning-quick release face-up from 16-18ft.

dejordan
08-30-2006, 10:16 AM
I absolutely hated Magic's "no-look". The only person's "no-look" I hated more was Mark Jackson. Looking at me then turning your head as you pass ain't a no-look. Seeing me early, then turning your head and passing a second later without looking is a no-look.
magic did do that, but he also did the "scan the whole court in one side to side motion and then fire the ball through the defense" no look, and the "i'm pounding the ball hard and veering left - psyche - no look pass to the right!" or the behind the head passes when he knew guys would cut (he and larry both got sick with these). i always though mj had an underrated no look. he did it in the air a lot, making wrap and shovel passes to big guys or kick passes to shooters without seeming to take his eye off the rim. not as much later in his career when scottie was the primary ball-handler.

Da KO King
08-30-2006, 10:45 AM
magic did do that, but he also did the "scan the whole court in one side to side motion and then fire the ball through the defense" no look, and the "i'm pounding the ball hard and veering left - psyche - no look pass to the right!" or the behind the head passes when he knew guys would cut (he and larry both got sick with these). i always though mj had an underrated no look. he did it in the air a lot, making wrap and shovel passes to big guys or kick passes to shooters without seeming to take his eye off the rim. not as much later in his career when scottie was the primary ball-handler.
I always like Larry Bird and Jason Kidd's passing creativity better than Magic. Maybe I'm being biased cause of my first exposure to Kidd.

Very first play was a fast break after he stole the ball. He hit two defenders with consecutive behind the back dribbles on a dead run then dropped a behind the back pass to Lamond Murray. He then stole the ball had to pull back on the fastbreak made a crossover then fired a short baseball pass (left handed) to a player under the hoop with out ever looking at him.

I was instantly a believer.

The Mamba
08-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Magic had more 'creativity' in his passes than Jason Kidd does. Not that Jason isn't creative, but c'mon... this is another "A.I. doesn't have a crossover" argument. hehe C'mon KO King, you know better.

Da KO King
08-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Magic had more 'creativity' in his passes than Jason Kidd does. Not that Jason isn't creative, but c'mon... this is another "A.I. doesn't have a crossover" argument. hehe C'mon KO King, you know better.I'm not so sure. With the AI thing I knew ahead of time I was by myself on that. I always been by myself in my views of AI.

On Magic vs Jason's passing I think some may share my view.

dejordan
08-30-2006, 10:56 AM
I always like Larry Bird and Jason Kidd's passing creativity better than Magic. Maybe I'm being biased cause of my first exposure to Kidd.

Very first play was a fast break after he stole the ball. He hit two defenders with consecutive behind the back dribbles on a dead run then dropped a behind the back pass to Lamond Murray. He then stole the ball had to pull back on the fastbreak made a crossover then fired a short baseball pass (left handed) to a player under the hoop with out ever looking at him.

I was instantly a believer.
best pass i ever saw was by kidd. all-star game (not sure what year, but kmart played), kidd tracks down a long rebound takes it hard to about the top of the key where he's met by two guys on a trap, half-loses the ball, recovers and flings an underhand lefty alley-hoop that hits kmart in the hands right at the rim. unreal. was like watching vinces 360 reverse windmill for omg effect.

Da KO King
08-30-2006, 11:03 AM
One of the best passes I seen was the Jason Williams Elbow pass. I had been hearing about it for well over year prior to his doing it in that Rookie Sophmore Game. Was thoroughly impressed when I did see it.

RainierBeachPoet
08-31-2006, 09:10 AM
One of the best passes I seen was the Jason Williams Elbow pass. I had been hearing about it for well over year prior to his doing it in that Rookie Sophmore Game. Was thoroughly impressed when I did see it.

king-- please describe this "elbow pass"

i wanna know...:confusedshrug:

dejordan
08-31-2006, 09:28 AM
king-- please describe this "elbow pass"

i wanna know...:confusedshrug:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0g-1v8a1bg

check it! it's a little hard to see because of the angle, but he fakes a left to right behind the back dribble and bounces the ball off his right elbow to hit raef lafrentz in traffic (rookie v. soph game). check out some of the highlight vids people have made for jwill on youtube. when he was young, he was really fun to watch.

Da KO King
08-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Another good move was Grant Hill's crossover. What made it effective was that Grant made it look identical to the start of a drive. He got at least one person per game with it.

One of the very illest plays every was Kenny Anderson bakin' Bobby Hurley. I think all the b-ball fans over 21 know exactly what I'm talking about. Dude had announcer on TV stuck to the point all they said was "oh my god".

RainierBeachPoet
09-01-2006, 12:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0g-1v8a1bg

check it! it's a little hard to see because of the angle, but he fakes a left to right behind the back dribble and bounces the ball off his right elbow to hit raef lafrentz in traffic (rookie v. soph game). check out some of the highlight vids people have made for jwill on youtube. when he was young, he was really fun to watch.

very nice

thanks for the vid dejdn!!

Da KO King
12-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Had to bring this post back from the dead to add two:

Chauncey Billups jab step and pull up jumper coming off a ball screen - Everyone in the building knows its coming eventually yet when he finally does it the defenders are lost as if they never seen it before.

Eddy Curry two power dribbles into a short hook over his left shoulder from the right block- I swear it seems like dude makes this shot every time he takes it.

Aussie Outcast
12-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Ewings travel has got to be here. He got this move down so much that even the refs let him do it every single time. Even Bulls fans stopped caring that he did it.

RainierBeachPoet
12-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Had to bring this post back from the dead to add two:

Chauncey Billups jab step and pull up jumper coming off a ball screen - Everyone in the building knows its coming eventually yet when he finally does it the defenders are lost as if they never seen it before.

Eddy Curry two power dribbles into a short hook over his left shoulder from the right block- I swear it seems like dude makes this shot every time he takes it.

how about wades famous "traveling move"
:oldlol:

Da KO King
11-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Came across this thread searching for video of the "Kiki move".

Good times... :cheers:

Kebab Stall
11-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Well, since this has been bumped, may aswell through out some of my favourite moves in the NBA. My favourites have to be Hakeem's and McHale's post moves and footwork, both were astoundingly incredible it was hard to believe. My favourite now is probably Duncan's bankshot, a thing of beauty.

usdmef9
11-28-2007, 04:29 PM
1. Anthony Masons free throw where he would sort of lean his body towards the basket and fall forward and release before falling.

2. I like damon jones' little sign he throws up after hitting a 3 pointer, not sure if he still does it or not.

I am surprised nobody mentioned that stupid head tap thing darius miles and the other thugs from the young clippers team of a couple years ago.

T-Low
11-28-2007, 04:40 PM
t. hardaway's killer crossover-- too quick for the camera

The one and only move I have perfected...

DatZNasty
11-28-2007, 04:46 PM
:confusedshrug: at the Clippers being called thugs.

How about the Bruce Bowen ankle breaker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pHwkqvViBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGQMubkHKPE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPQkEsM8uM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc4yz__akIU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLgHeeOZJFI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J2SDouIqtA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ZPWnf9fKU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhTjSrZi91Y&feature=related

Charlie Sheen
11-28-2007, 04:47 PM
T-Mac and kobes pull up three in the transition

not sure how long you've watched the NBA, but mad max (vernon maxwell) is the first person that comes to mind when i think about a pull-up 3 in transition.

ExpatSunsFan
11-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Joe Johnson--fake crossover/rise for the 20ft jumper off the dribble. Defenders give up on it because of the timing and step back to defend the drive, so he winds up with a fairly easy mid-range jumper at least 80% of the time.

I'm pretty sure JJ learned it from Nash back in 2004.

Amare--drive right, spin left. That's his counter move off the right-handed dribble drive, but since teams work so hard to cut off his right hand...I've also seen him go up-and-under off the spin and even go to the fadeaway J when he's cut off by a late double-team, so he's got a lot of body control on that move.

dhenk
11-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Everything Ray Allen does.

His Smoothness is just incredible...erm...smooth in everything he does

Jasper
11-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Big O - one handed jumper

Bob Lanier - freethrowline -high post jumper

Pistol pete - behind the back dribble - jump shot

Bob Mcadooo - wing turn around jumper

Lusius Allan (Bucks/ Lakers) hanging jumper

All Time great - Wally Wonder Jackknife jumper !!

---- - - - - - -

Start a new one - (FREE THROW Style)
Big O - one handed free throw

next -

theinfamousmobb
11-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Wades bank shot.

Dizzle-2k7
11-28-2007, 10:06 PM
:confusedshrug: at the Clippers being called thugs.

How about the Bruce Bowen ankle breaker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pHwkqvViBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGQMubkHKPE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPQkEsM8uM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc4yz__akIU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLgHeeOZJFI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J2SDouIqtA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ZPWnf9fKU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhTjSrZi91Y&feature=related

only 2 plays in all those videos are dirty.. the kick on wally and the kick on amare's heel. the rest are just toughass play.

WhiteMosɘs
11-28-2007, 10:33 PM
i have been a fan of both for their whole careers, and as much as i love ai (he is still my current favorite prime-time player),

i must respectfully disagree with you mamba--- t.hardaways crossover was the best i have ever seen.

whereas ai gets a wider swing on his crossover with greater ball movement on the fake, tim's was a very quick 1-2 that literally was difficult to follow; it was much better appreciated in slo-mo.

he patented the move as the "utep two step" (although i like texas two step better)
:banana: :banana:

anyone seen vid clip around here of it? :confusedshrug:

ps-- here is hardaway talking about (he also sees similiarities with baron d and himself)

http://www.nba.com/features/takefive_index.html

I got to say Timmy's crossover is better in my opinion. Like Poet said, it is just a quick little thing. When I watch highlights of it I rewind constantly just to make sure I catch it. The Shammgod is pretty sick too.

DatZNasty
11-28-2007, 10:38 PM
only 2 plays in all those videos are dirty.. the kick on wally and the kick on amare's heel. the rest are just toughass play.
Nothing tough about sticking your foot underneath airborne players. Funny thing is, that's not even close to all the people whom he has "accidentally" done that to.

Rebel INS
11-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Jamal Crawford's back to back "behind the back" dribble move.

ForceOfNature
11-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Vince Carter's 360 dunk.

vert48
11-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Magic's fast break bounce passes.

Loki
11-28-2007, 11:23 PM

Is that the same move as the one seen at the 2:12 mark here, except done against the primary defender:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFeNQWVa0RQ

If so, Jordan used to use that very frequently, and is probably the best at it that I've seen. I've always wondered to myself why more guys don't do that, since it's very effective, as the defense is shifting up and towards the middle and them bam, you're going baseline. He did that a ton. Just curious if Pierce does that, since I don't get to see many Celts games, and I think more players should use it.

RainierBeachPoet
11-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Jamal Crawford's back to back "behind the back" dribble move.

if this move is what i think it is, pistol pete was doing it WAY back in the day

DatZNasty
11-28-2007, 11:49 PM
if this move is what i think it is, pistol pete was doing it WAY back in the day
Nah, and if you're talking about the same Pistol Pete move I am thinking about, that move was a blatant double dribbling violation.

This is the Crawford move. I can do it, I just feel like it doesn't look as good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz5DXIezqr4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXPQH23_Efo

RainierBeachPoet
11-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Nah, and if you're talking about the same Pistol Pete move I am thinking about, that move was a blatant double dribbling violation.

This is the Crawford move. I can do it, I just feel like it doesn't look as good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz5DXIezqr4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXPQH23_Efo

nice--- yes, very different from pistol

btw, jamal is from RAINIER BEACH:party:

JohnnyBravo5
11-29-2007, 12:07 PM
That new move KG does on the block where he does about 8 side to side fakes then shoots a hook...it is hilarious:roll:

SayTownRy
11-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Nothing tough about sticking your foot underneath airborne players. Funny thing is, that's not even close to all the people whom he has "accidentally" done that to.

when your job, night in and night out, is to stay in the face of the best player on the other team, hassle them, know what their breath smells like, and all that..

you're gonna play every jump shot they take like it's the winning shot attempt in the closing seconds of the game. you're gonna hafta be so close to the guy as he's goin up, that you are as close as possible without fouling.

most nba players don't have that job, and don't find themselves in the position of playing pretty much only defense for 30+ minutes a night. the more solid and tenacious defense you play, the more likely the aforementioned incidents are to happen.

and i'll finish with this. kobe bryant, arguably the best player in the game today, views bruce bowen as the best defender in the league. he doesn't post youtube videos of bowen.

*awaits flame..*

kidachi
11-29-2007, 12:35 PM
the "pulling the chair" thing... in the post.

i remember Rodman did it to Malone.

then i saw Malone do it to Kurt Thomas when he was with the Lakers.

DatZNasty
11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
when your job, night in and night out, is to stay in the face of the best player on the other team, hassle them, know what their breath smells like, and all that..

you're gonna play every jump shot they take like it's the winning shot attempt in the closing seconds of the game. you're gonna hafta be so close to the guy as he's goin up, that you are as close as possible without fouling.

most nba players don't have that job, and don't find themselves in the position of playing pretty much only defense for 30+ minutes a night. the more solid and tenacious defense you play, the more likely the aforementioned incidents are to happen.

and i'll finish with this. kobe bryant, arguably the best player in the game today, views bruce bowen as the best defender in the league. he doesn't post youtube videos of bowen.

*awaits flame..*
Yet literally millions of players have been able to play defense without constantly "accidentally" kicking and ankle tripping people, even in an era when basketball was at its most physical that was never the norm nor accepted. And Kobe has complained about Bowen. I don't think he has ever done so in a post game like Finley, Ray, and some of the others but I remember him complaining to Danny Crawford in the playoffs about the same thing. He had on Jordan 8's at the time, remember specifically talking about the high cut of that shoe and how that might have saved him.

SayTownRy
11-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Yet literally millions of players have been able to play defense without constantly "accidentally" kicking and ankle tripping people, even in an era when basketball was at its most physical that was never the norm nor accepted. And Kobe has complained about Bowen. I don't think he has ever done so in a post game like Finley, Ray, and some of the others but I remember him complaining to Danny Crawford in the playoffs about the same thing. He had on Jordan 8's at the time, remember specifically talking about the high cut of that shoe and how that might have saved him.

well I wasn't aware of kobe's complaining, but I do know he holds bowen's defense in pretty high regard, and doesn't hold any long-standing grudges.

and as for the millions of players that play defense without incident... how many of them are tasked with guarding kobe, t mac, ai, nash, dirk... and have a succesful track record to boot.

I'm just saying that playing defense, and only defense for years on end is going to substantially increase the likelihood of said incidents.

Da KO King
11-29-2007, 01:06 PM

Actually Pete's move was perfectly legal by old rules. Back then the rule was that the dribble was called dead only when the ball was allowed to come to rest.

When Pete made his move the ball was never in a static position.

To me Pete is the greatest dribbler the game has seen. His understanding of the rules, ability, and creativity gave him more moves than anyone I've ever seen.

DatZNasty
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
You don't think there have ever been defensive stoppers in the league other than Bowen? Most players just generally draw a line where they're not intentionally trying to hurt guys, or put them in positions where that's tremendously likely. Guys like Bowen and Fortson, don't. No doubt it works. If a guy is shooting a jumpshot and you overcloseout on him to the point he is having to look down and focus on where's he landing without landing on your foot, you effectively have made him take focus off the rim for a split second. It's just widely considered a ***** move and something people don't do.

And the guys Joe Dumars's defended > Bowen's and despite being part of the "Bad Boys" was never known for the same things Bowen is. Scottie Pippen is another name I'd throw out there.

Da KO King
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm just saying that playing defense, and only defense for years on end is going to substantially increase the likelihood of said incidents.
What Bowen does is not "good defense". It

DCL
11-29-2007, 01:31 PM
MANUTE'S 3 POINTERS.

/close thread

DatZNasty
11-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Actually Pete's move was perfectly legal by old rules. Back then the rule was that the dribble was called dead only when the ball was allowed to come to rest.

When Pete made his move the ball was never in a static position.

To me Pete is the greatest dribbler the game has seen. His understanding of the rules, ability, and creativity gave him more moves than anyone I've ever seen.
Wow, I never knew that.

Da KO King
11-29-2007, 03:30 PM
SIDE NOTE ON PISTOL PETE: Maravich also had a counter move for the behind the back move. On the toss from right to left if the defender looked to be in a spot to cut off the left Pete would simply have his left hand tap the ball back to the floor on the right side of his body.

Both moves sre now illegal in formal play but would actually make great And 1-style moves.

vert48
11-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Wow, I never knew that.
Pete, on more than one occasion, spoke with refs and demonstrated the move slowly to show that it was not a travel.

vert48
11-29-2007, 04:24 PM
well I wasn't aware of kobe's complaining, but I do know he holds bowen's defense in pretty high regard, and doesn't hold any long-standing grudges.

and as for the millions of players that play defense without incident... how many of them are tasked with guarding kobe, t mac, ai, nash, dirk... and have a succesful track record to boot.

Bowen's footwork tactics are the basketball equivalent of the Denver Broncos chop blocking.

LBJ 4 MVP
11-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Shaqs Black Tornado
Hakeems Dream Shake
Monta Ellis' Stall for 0.5 seconds then explode to the hoop move.
KG's skake-turn-fade
Gervins Finger-roll

All I can think of now, but all those are extremely skilled and entertaining moves.

Make It Rain
11-29-2007, 04:31 PM
The Yao shake.

20 Dimes A Game
11-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Kobe's spin fadeaway..
Nash behind the back..

DatZNasty
11-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Pete, on more than one occasion, spoke with refs and demonstrated the move slowly to show that it was not a travel.
Badass. I did this in church league once to explain to this ref that a basic step through move wasn't a travel (not a step through in the post, just like the pick the dribble up and split 2 defenders while cuffing the ball like Marbury does or you might move it around to avoid reaching defenders while taking your 2 step cadence). Even though the other refs agreed, and he admitted that the way I was demonstrating it only 2 steps, he said "Nope, that move just seems like it's a travel to me, I see that move I'm calling travel everytime." ****ed up the whole league because everyone does that move when they're attacking off the dribble and going to make a play off one foot

samballs
11-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Boozer's left hand

Battier's flop

AK and Prince fast break blocks

billybadass
11-29-2007, 08:33 PM
bowens ankle breaker

vert48
11-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Boozer's left hand

Battier's flop

AK and Prince fast break blocks
Boozer has the best off hand in the league.

vert48
11-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Badass. I did this in church league once to explain to this ref that a basic step through move wasn't a travel (not a step through in the post, just like the pick the dribble up and split 2 defenders while cuffing the ball like Marbury does or you might move it around to avoid reaching defenders while taking your 2 step cadence). Even though the other refs agreed, and he admitted that the way I was demonstrating it only 2 steps, he said "Nope, that move just seems like it's a travel to me, I see that move I'm calling travel everytime." ****ed up the whole league because everyone does that move when they're attacking off the dribble and going to make a play off one foot
I played with a guy once that took two steps with his non pivot foot (he would take a short step baseline, and then a long step inside to the key), it was really a stutter step because his pivot would not move until after the second step with the same foot. He would then step with his pivot, making it look like he had shuffled his feet or taken 3 steps. No matter how many times you see it, it looks and feels like a travel, but it is clearly not. It took me awhile, but I have my own version of this move and it gets me to the bucket every single time.

Da KO King
05-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Was reminded of this move yesterday watching a 15 & Under tourney here in Maryland....

Haven't seen him do it in a while but a move that Chris Paul liked at one point was a moving forward behind the back dribble with the right hand letting the ball hit the left side but snatching it back with the right-hand with the "Shamgod swipe".

Can't find a clip of Chris doing it but here's a clip of Shamgod doing it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4B8L5kQrkg)

ecthelion
05-04-2008, 10:49 AM
J-Will's fake behind the back layups... so many of them
and obviously the ELBOW PASS

almightydavidbc
05-04-2008, 01:49 PM
rasheed baseline turnaround fadeaway

penny hardaway.... his passing
i cant think of any pet moves he had, i no they were there
help?

KeylessEntry
05-04-2008, 01:53 PM
I like Shaqs move where he clears out space with his elbows and spins to the rim. I think he calls it "black tornado"

RainierBeachPoet
07-03-2008, 02:29 PM
david sterns pet move will now be known as allowing a 41 year old organization -- the sonics---to leave seattle

Da KO King
07-03-2008, 07:02 PM
david sterns pet move will now be known as allowing a 41 year old organization -- the sonics---to leave seattle
Isn't that just a variation of his usual move of "sucking as a commish?"

Dasher
07-03-2008, 07:02 PM
david sterns pet move will now be known as allowing a 41 year old organization -- the sonics---to leave seattle:oldlol::applause:

RainierBeachPoet
07-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Isn't that just a variation of his usual move of "sucking as a commish?"
it is

but this one broke both of our ankles in seattle

Mamba
07-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Lebron James' running vending machine impersonation.

mike239489
07-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Dwayne Wade - Traveling

Unreal Skill
07-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Shaq's Black Tornado

Carmelo's Jab Step Pull up J

KG's turnaround J

Kobe's fadeaway

Myth
07-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Shaq's lowered shoulder then hop before a dunk.

shaoyut
07-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Shaqs dunks

DuMa
07-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Stro Show's birdie dunks