PDA

View Full Version : The kids down the hall

gts
07-08-2008, 11:44 PM
watching the clippers botch another off season really makes me appreciate the lakers and Dr. Buss even more...

seriously how can a team be run so poorly?

SourGrapes
07-09-2008, 12:08 AM
watching the clippers botch another off season really makes me appreciate the lakers and Dr. Buss even more...

definitely.

i'm of the opinion it all stems from the owner. probably not a controversial statement but if an owner wants a good team it's not that tough to be diligent.

SCV42
07-09-2008, 12:41 AM

Two Words...Donald Sterling

lakerfreak
07-09-2008, 01:21 AM
I just feel so bad for the clippers.

Just when they thought it would get better, they decided not to keep corey thinking Brand was committed to them. Now their plan backfired.

Clippers are still dangerous though. With brand gone, that means Kaman can now have the ball more down low and Al Thornton will continue torching teams with his athleticism while Baron davis scores, and distributes.

alexthegod
07-09-2008, 01:42 AM
I have a funny feeling that the Clips knew Brand was going to bail and were not interested in spending 80+ mil on him.

Likewise I think Elton has wanted out for a while, but when the Clips matched the offer sheet he signed with Miami about 4 years ago he was trapped.

I dont think Sterling ever had any intention of going over the cap, thus the Clips are stuck again in mediocrity!

Remember not to long ago the Clips had to spend extra money on players to get to the MINIMUM salary for a team?!?! I feel for clipper fan-->:banghead:

Lakers13
07-09-2008, 02:40 AM
I wish they weren't associated with the city of Los Angeles. I hope Stern gets them shipped to Seattle lol.

This is why I've never backed the Clips, Sterling is a joke of an owner and penny pincher, can't even get his own building, we gotta share greatness with lousyness.

MJ(Mean John)
07-09-2008, 02:51 AM
I have a funny feeling that the Clips knew Brand was going to bail and were not interested in spending 80+ mil on him.

Likewise I think Elton has wanted out for a while, but when the Clips matched the offer sheet he signed with Miami about 4 years ago he was trapped.

I dont think Sterling ever had any intention of going over the cap, thus the Clips are stuck again in mediocrity!

Remember not to long ago the Clips had to spend extra money on players to get to the MINIMUM salary for a team?!?! I feel for clipper fan-->:banghead:

lmaoo.... wow

alexthegod
07-09-2008, 05:35 AM

I'm not so sure this is a case of the Clippers botching an off season, its more of one player (Brand) really not wanting to be there/the Clippers leery of committing huge dollars and 5-6 yrs on a 29 yr old coming off a major injury and one player asking for too much money (Maggette and his 5 yr 50 mil contract).

Knowing this they locked up Baron Davis right away.....hopefully he doesn't change his mind, and I dont think he will for two reasons, he's an LA guy who really wants to play in LA (he's always preferred the west coast) and secondly who else has cap space and is a place Baron would want to go?

The offseason is in its early stages, lets see how they finish it out....give our little brother a chance!

As is stands they have a pretty good base:
PG Davis
SG Gordon
C Kaman
SF Thorton
PF?
14 mil cap space

and lost a lot of malcontents
Maggette
Cassell
Brand (he was a good professional, but I dont think he was happy since the Clips matched the offer sheet he signed with MIA in 2003. He's an east coat guy stuck on the west coast.

Coming off that disastrous injury riddled season sure didn't help matters for the Clips.

Now having said all this I'm not saying the Clips are a well run team, but they sure didn't have much going for them going into this off season.

I'm an LA guy and west coast guy, I'd like to see the Clips competitive, so I'm hoping Davis stays committed and they continue putting that team back together.

ZeN
07-09-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm not so sure this is a case of the Clippers botching an off season, its more of one player (Brand) really not wanting to be there/the Clippers leery of committing huge dollars and 5-6 yrs on a 29 yr old coming off a major injury and one player asking for too much money (Maggette and his 5 yr 50 mil contract).

Knowing this they locked up Baron Davis right away.....hopefully he doesn't change his mind, and I dont think he will for two reasons, he's an LA guy who really wants to play in LA (he's always preferred the west coast) and secondly who else has cap space and is a place Baron would want to go?

The offseason is in its early stages, lets see how they finish it out....give our little brother a chance!

As is stands they have a pretty good base:
PG Davis
SG Gordon
C Kaman
SF Thorton
PF?
14 mil cap space

and lost a lot of malcontents
Maggette
Cassell
Brand (he was a good professional, but I dont think he was happy since the Clips matched the offer sheet he signed with MIA in 2003. He's an east coat guy stuck on the west coast.

Coming off that disastrous injury riddled season sure didn't help matters for the Clips.

Now having said all this I'm not saying the Clips are a well run team, but they sure didn't have much going for them going into this off season.

I'm an LA guy and west coast guy, I'd like to see the Clips competitive, so I'm hoping Davis stays committed and they continue putting that team back together.

I agree completely :applause:

SoCalMike
07-09-2008, 10:37 AM
I have to say, that I feel badly for the Clips fans. I really did not think Brand would leave them, but I understand business is business.

Unfortunately, this is par for the course for the Clipper organization. They went from feast to famine in a week's time.

:pimp:

gts
07-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Last week, Brand opted out of his contract with the Clippers, but Los Angeles was expected to make a strong push to re-sign him. Instead, he spurned the Clippers once agent David Falk said he was offered a "take it or leave it" contract on June 30. The deal was nearly $20 million less than what Brand signed for in Philadelphia.

"My intention was to try and work something out with the Clippers," Brand said.

Falk said the greater insult came when he was told that Clippers owner Donald Sterling said he would be happy with the 29-year-old Brand's decision either way.http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3480691

Devientz
07-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Instead, he spurned the Clippers once agent David Falk said he was offered a "take it or leave it" contract on June 30. The deal was nearly $20 million less than what Brand signed for in Philadelphia.

Which was ~10mil less than he was offered in GS wasn't it?

Falk said the greater insult came when he was told that Clippers owner Donald Sterling said he would be happy with the 29-year-old Brand's decision either way.

At some point you need to choose between success and money and its pretty obvious which is more important to Sterling. The Clippers have just fallen back into the abyss that theyre not gonna get out of anytime soon with the current state of the western confrence. I think its about time for sterling to sell this franchise to someone who actually cares.

ZeN
07-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Which was ~10mil less than he was offered in GS wasn't it?

At some point you need to choose between success and money and its pretty obvious which is more important to Sterling. The Clippers have just fallen back into the abyss that theyre not gonna get out of anytime soon with the current state of the western confrence. I think its about time for sterling to sell this franchise to someone who actually cares.

He cares... its just he cares about the first aspect of the franchise you mentioned... the revenue $$... and hes been making plenty of it :D

gts
07-09-2008, 10:03 PM
The Clippers have just fallen back into the abyss the clipps never have left that abyss, they have made four trips to the playoffs since they came to LA in 1984. the lakers hav't missed the playoffs that many times... this is why the clippers have to use pictures of other teams stars to sell tickets
"come see lebron james as he takes on your los angeles clippers"

for a team in such a large market it's deplorable how bad a team, they are.. there is no excuse for a 24 year slump...

SoCalMike
07-09-2008, 10:09 PM
the clipps never have left that abyss, they have made four trips to the playoffs since they came to LA in 1984. the lakers hav't missed the playoffs that many times... this is why the clippers have to use pictures of other teams stars to sell tickets

for a team in such a large market it's deplorable how bad a team, they are.. there is no excuse for a 24 year slump...

Agreed! You spend money to make money, and obviously Buss has figured that out and Sterling has not. Yes, Sterling may make some money on the franchise, but he would make a LOT more if he produced a winning team consistently by even spending over the cap... oh well, its a shame what has happened.

Interestingly, I remember seeing a post from someone in the main forum, maybe a week or so ago that said that they met E-Brand at the gas station in LA right before the story broke, and that E-Brand was happy B-Diddy was coming to the Clipps... if that was legit, its interesting how $20M can change one's opinion.... honestly, I would have probably done the same thing. Thats a freaking lot of money.

Devientz
07-09-2008, 10:33 PM
the clipps never have left that abyss, they have made four trips to the playoffs since they came to LA in 1984. the lakers hav't missed the playoffs that many times... this is why the clippers have to use pictures of other teams stars to sell tickets

Well, Good point. :oldlol:
I guess I just thought the Clips were starting to turn the corner. They did have a pretty good team a couple years back [for 1 year] I thought they could have been good last year and they had a legit chance at competing for a playoff spot this year but no more. Now they threw away two of their best players for another disgruntled 'star' who will leave at the first opportunity he gets. Guess I should have known better.:confusedshrug:

bladefd
07-10-2008, 01:20 AM
if that was legit, its interesting how $20M can change one's opinion.... honestly, I would have probably done the same thing. Thats a freaking lot of money.

Unfortunately, Elton Brand may not win anything now. He had a much better chance of going pretty far with the Clippers alongside Davis and Kaman. Who does Philly have that is great at their position? Miller is good but he is no where close to Davis. Kaman is WAY better than Dalembert. Iggy is really overrated and way too inconsistent sometimes. I have seen him play worse than Thornton at times.

Fortunately, 76ers still aren't over the cap limit with Brand's contract. They can still try to get 1 more free-agent if they wanted to. I am surprised Davis didn't wait to see what Brand does. He agreed to the contract with Clippers way too early. He could have signed with the 76ers. Sixers had the bird-rights to Iggy so they could have theoretically signed Davis first for 10-11 million and then signed Iggy afterwards. Sixers would have been past the cap-limit but with a starting lineup of Davis/Iggy/Young/Brand/Dalembert, it would have been sick in the east. Hell, they could have tried to see if some team wanted Andre Miller or one of their youngsters for a trade. Possibly Josh Smith to fill their SF position or even Ron Artest from the Kings? Sh*t, I would enjoy watching Davis/Iggy/Artest/Brand/Dalembert beat up the Celtics. :D

gts
07-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Two things that occured to me today on this whole mess

first where has elgin baylor been through all this? we have heard zilch out of him regarding this latest episode

and the second thing, who's ever going to send dunleavy a text message again? for two days now he keeps talking about the text messages he saved... no agent or player discussing a contract is going to take that chance...

with last years war of words between sterling and dunleavy, now elgins silence i can't belive dunleavy is too long for the clippers for much longer... if they don't produce this season i can see him looking for work this time next year

i'd post this in the clippers forum but they are a little touchy over there right now

SoCalMike
07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Two things that occured to me today on this whole mess

first where has elgin baylor been through all this? we have heard zilch out of him regarding this latest episode

and the second thing, who's ever going to send dunleavy a text message again? for two days now he keeps talking about the text messages he saved... no agent or player discussing a contract is going to take that chance...

with last years war of words between sterling and dunleavy, now elgins silence i can't belive dunleavy is too long for the clippers for much longer... if they don't produce this season i can see him looking for work this time next year

i'd post this in the clippers forum but they are a little touchy over there right now

I feel bad for Clipper fans (the actual fans, not the Clippers)... and I can understand them being touchy. Its a frustrating roller coaster ride and they were on the brink of something special.

Folks like qrich are good people and its a shame that organization cannot sustain a positive direction for that team. I do strongly believe that it is what I have called for years "the sterling effect."

gts
07-12-2008, 11:40 AM
I do strongly believe that it is what I have called for years "the sterling effect."you know back in the days of the gold rush, people would flock to some new area to seek their fame and furtune and alot of them spent weeks and weeks amassing a pile of ore which would turn out to be nothing but Fools Gold... we in LA get the same thing from the Clippers only it's a pile of Fools Sterling

bladefd
07-12-2008, 01:51 PM
you know back in the days of the gold rush, people would flock to some new area to seek their fame and furtune and alot of them spent weeks and weeks amassing a pile of ore which would turn out to be nothing but Fools Gold... we in LA get the same thing from the Clippers only it's a pile of Fools Sterling

Honestly, both the Clippers and Lakers would benefit if the Clippers were to move out. It's a shame that Clippers are stuck in LA as the "other team" because Sterling doesn't want to spend more money. Hell, I am sure one of the other cities is willing to build a whole stadium for them if they are willing to move. I doubt Sterling will have to pay full money for a new stadium. Just look at Las Vegas. They want a nba team badly and it is a rich city with rich people. I am sure they can afford to build a decent new stadium for the Clippers. I just wonder if the market in Las Vegas would be as big as Los Angeles. Probably not but is it worth being the secondary team that very few people give 2 sh*ts about?

SoCalMike
07-12-2008, 01:53 PM
you know back in the days of the gold rush, people would flock to some new area to seek their fame and furtune and alot of them spent weeks and weeks amassing a pile of ore which would turn out to be nothing but Fools Gold... we in LA get the same thing from the Clippers only it's a pile of Fools Sterling

HAHA @ Fools Sterling.... nice!!! :oldlol:

gts
07-12-2008, 07:58 PM
latest salvo fired from brand camp

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3483045

"Mike and I have had a good friendship for 20 years," Falk said. "[But] Mike has acknowledged that he and Elton were having a private dialogue, which is illegal and a violation of the collective bargaining agreement for teams to do that when they know he has a registered agent. I wouldn't expect [Cleveland Cavaliers vice president] Danny Ferry, who's a former client, or [Denver Nuggets vice president] Rex Chapman, who's a former client, or [Charlotte Bobcats president] Michael Jordan to be negotiating behind my back. I think it's unethical. "

SoCalMike
04-28-2014, 07:37 PM
I feel bad for Clipper fans (the actual fans, not the Clippers)... and I can understand them being touchy. Its a frustrating roller coaster ride and they were on the brink of something special.

Folks like qrich are good people and its a shame that organization cannot sustain a positive direction for that team. I do strongly believe that it is what I have called for years "the sterling effect."

Bump.... I was a visionary.... the sterling effect is strong. :D

D-Rose
05-19-2014, 01:09 AM
Bump.... I was a visionary.... the sterling effect is strong. :D

Wow I haven't seen you in these parts for years...like 4 or so. I'm sure you've been here (I've been on and off) but last I recall was when you made that new forum. In any case, nice to see ya. :cheers:

GimmeThat
05-24-2014, 04:25 AM
There HAS to be like a Kevin McHale effect right?

Right?