PDA

View Full Version : Pacers trade Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors for TJ Ford in 6-player deal

Pages : 1 [2]

InspiredLebowski
06-26-2008, 10:49 AM
is this a better deal for indiana than the jefferson + nenad for JO trade proposal? i know there are other small parts in this deal, but those were the main pieces...
Talent wise, probably not. Framework wise, probably. Where's RJ fit on a team who already has 3 natural SFs? Sure, he'd probably move Dunleavy to the bench, then you have Granger out of position playing the two.

Good Old Willy
06-26-2008, 11:05 AM
A clearer perspective than much of the ra-ra cheerleading.

Dave Feschuk (http://www.thestar.com/opinion/columnists/94556) http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/449551

"... These are desperate times for the local hoopsters... adding O'Neal might help the .500 squad make an incremental improvement this coming season, his arrival in Toronto marks a step backward for a once up-and-coming club."

"Thirty in October, Jermaine might be better known as Jer-pain or Jer-moan for his alarming history of injury and gimme-the-ball immaturity. But Colangelo's suddenly not-so-young Raptors weren't exactly dealing from strength...."

"...(O'Neil's) health is a bigger question mark than Ford's, and he's a worse teammate than Nesterovic with, recent returns suggest, only marginally better stats. Even if he's better than that, remember Colangelo's vision of the Euro-tinged, 100-shots-a-night Raptors? Now they'll indulge O'Neal's painfully deliberate, averse-to-contact post game. If you thought Ford was a chemistry problem, wait until Jer-mine goes without his touches."

InspiredLebowski
06-26-2008, 11:06 AM
JO's troubles

31-Mar-08 Missed 33 games (bruised left knee).
19-Jan-08 Bruised left knee, day-to-day.
12-Jan-08 Missed 1 game (sore left knee).
09-Jan-08 Sore left knee, day-to-day.
30-Nov-07 Missed 5 games (knee injury).
21-Nov-07 Knee injury, day-to-day.
02-Nov-07 Missed 1 game (knee surgery).
31-Oct-07 Knee surgery, day-to-day.
18-Apr-07 Missed the last 2 games of the regular season (sore left knee).
17-Apr-07 Sore left knee, inactive list.
03-Apr-07 Missed 1 game (sore left knee).
01-Apr-07 Sore left knee, day-to-day.
30-Mar-07 Missed 1 game (left ankle injury).
28-Mar-07 Left ankle injury, inactive list.
14-Mar-07 Missed 3 games (sore left knee).
10-Mar-07 Sore left knee, day-to-day.
09-Feb-07 Missed 1 game (left knee injury).
07-Feb-07 Left knee injury, inactive list.
29-Dec-06 Missed 1 game (flu).
26-Dec-06 Flu, day-to-day.
13-Dec-06 Missed 3 games (hamstring).
08-Dec-06 Hamstring, day-to-day.
10-Nov-06 Missed 1 game (sprained left ankle).
08-Nov-06 Sprained left ankle, day-to-day.
27-Apr-06 Fined $15,000 by the NBA for publicly criticizing officials.
01-Apr-06 Missed 1 game (groin).
30-Mar-06 Groin, day-to-day.
22-Mar-06 Missed 24 games (groin).
27-Jan-06 Groin, day-to-day.
21-Jan-06 Missed 3 games (sprained left ankle).
16-Jan-06 Sprained left ankle, day-to-day.
08-Jan-06 Missed 3 games (pneumonia).
02-Jan-06 Pneumonia, day-to-day.
29-Apr-05 Fined $10,000 by the NBA for his actions in Game 3 of Round One against the Boston Celtics.
17-Apr-05 Missed 22 games (sprained right shoulder).
04-Mar-05 Sprained right shoulder, injured list.
24-Dec-04 Missed 15 games (suspension).
21-Nov-04 Suspended by the NBA for 25 games for his actions on Nov 19 against the Detroit Pistons.
05-Nov-04 Missed 1 game (foot injury).
01-Nov-04 Foot injury, injured list.

Good Old Willy
06-26-2008, 11:11 AM
JO's troubles

31-Mar-08 Missed 33 games (bruised left knee).
19-Jan-08 Bruised left knee, day-to-day.
12-Jan-08 Missed 1 game (sore left knee).
09-Jan-08 Sore left knee, day-to-day.
30-Nov-07 Missed 5 games (knee injury).
21-Nov-07 Knee injury, day-to-day.
02-Nov-07 Missed 1 game (knee surgery).
31-Oct-07 Knee surgery, day-to-day.
18-Apr-07 Missed the last 2 games of the regular season (sore left knee).
17-Apr-07 Sore left knee, inactive list.
03-Apr-07 Missed 1 game (sore left knee).
01-Apr-07 Sore left knee, day-to-day.
30-Mar-07 Missed 1 game (left ankle injury).
28-Mar-07 Left ankle injury, inactive list.
14-Mar-07 Missed 3 games (sore left knee).
10-Mar-07 Sore left knee, day-to-day.
09-Feb-07 Missed 1 game (left knee injury).
07-Feb-07 Left knee injury, inactive list.
29-Dec-06 Missed 1 game (flu).
26-Dec-06 Flu, day-to-day.
13-Dec-06 Missed 3 games (hamstring).
08-Dec-06 Hamstring, day-to-day.
10-Nov-06 Missed 1 game (sprained left ankle).
08-Nov-06 Sprained left ankle, day-to-day.
27-Apr-06 Fined $15,000 by the NBA for publicly criticizing officials.
01-Apr-06 Missed 1 game (groin).
30-Mar-06 Groin, day-to-day.
22-Mar-06 Missed 24 games (groin).
27-Jan-06 Groin, day-to-day.
21-Jan-06 Missed 3 games (sprained left ankle).
16-Jan-06 Sprained left ankle, day-to-day.
08-Jan-06 Missed 3 games (pneumonia).
02-Jan-06 Pneumonia, day-to-day.
29-Apr-05 Fined $10,000 by the NBA for his actions in Game 3 of Round One against the Boston Celtics.
17-Apr-05 Missed 22 games (sprained right shoulder).
04-Mar-05 Sprained right shoulder, injured list.
24-Dec-04 Missed 15 games (suspension).
21-Nov-04 Suspended by the NBA for 25 games for his actions on Nov 19 against the Detroit Pistons.
05-Nov-04 Missed 1 game (foot injury).
01-Nov-04 Foot injury, injured list.

About a 1/3 of these refer to the same injury just repeated, but yeah, this really makes the point. Wow bad, and that just since late 2004!

n00bie
06-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Why do so many Raptor fans seem to hate TJ? You do get a me-first vibe from him sometimes(the whole pouting over Jose, his overdribbling of the ball), but he's certainly not selfish on the court. He may not look to pass as much as Jose does, but he still was among the league leaders in assists during the Raptors division-winning season. When TJ penetrates, you know he's going to dish it out to an open teammate if he can't find an opening, or he'll simply restart. Also, TJ does make his shots. He's not a long distance shooter, obviously, but he has a very underrated mid range game. He has a nice pull-up jumper, and he can hit the open 15-18 footer with consistency. He shot 46-47% when healthy this season, and 44% the year before, so it's not like he's chucking up shots all the time that he can't hit. He does take the occasional difficult shot early in the clock, but that should go away as he matures.

Jose is arguably the better pure point guard, but if TJ can stay healthy, he certainly has all-star potential in the East. The Pacers are going to be nice this year if TJ can stay healthy and put up around 15/7-8. They're going to have to acquire a couple nice young big men to succeed, but that shouldn't be too difficult(I don't see Diogu in the same light I did last year; although I hope I'm proven wrong).

Yes, but where did these assists come from? TJ dribbles for 20 seconds, gets trapped in a lane and then last resort dishes it out. TJ only passed when he was in trouble. All of last season he was trying to find shots for himself. I think he was trying to prove he was an "all star" all season. I don't see him changing. Maybe it's just the team he was in, but every time TJ was on the floor, the team seemed really lost. Everyone stood around watching TJ dribble in circles.

i seen hippos
06-26-2008, 11:40 AM

Dave Feschuk (http://www.thestar.com/opinion/columnists/94556) http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/449551

"... These are desperate times for the local hoopsters... adding O'Neal might help the .500 squad make an incremental improvement this coming season, his arrival in Toronto marks a step backward for a once up-and-coming club."

"Thirty in October, Jermaine might be better known as Jer-pain or Jer-moan for his alarming history of injury and gimme-the-ball immaturity. But Colangelo's suddenly not-so-young Raptors weren't exactly dealing from strength...."

"...(O'Neil's) health is a bigger question mark than Ford's, and he's a worse teammate than Nesterovic with, recent returns suggest, only marginally better stats. Even if he's better than that, remember Colangelo's vision of the Euro-tinged, 100-shots-a-night Raptors? Now they'll indulge O'Neal's painfully deliberate, averse-to-contact post game. If you thought Ford was a chemistry problem, wait until Jer-mine goes without his touches."

You quoted the most cynical writer that follows the Raptors.:roll:

Just remember he's probably constipated when he's writing that.

InspiredLebowski
06-26-2008, 11:47 AM
That Dave Feschuk fella must be the Canadian Bob Kravitz.

Good Old Willy
06-26-2008, 11:58 AM
You quoted the most cynical writer that follows the Raptors.:roll:

Just remember he's probably constipated when he's writing that.
You gotta admit, there is a lot of truthiness there.

On a completed unrelated but totally on point issue:

If the Celtics can win the championship with a PG like Rondo, it seriously changes my perspective on how important the PG position is. And its not as if the Celtic 3 were all awesome every night during the playoffs. KG, Allen had streches of severly below-averagisity (TM).

Maybe Rap fans should dump both PGs for stars and just put Delfino out there. Forbid him to shoot and how is he not exactly like Rondo?

Skywalker
06-26-2008, 12:00 PM
LMAO Mike Miller ****s on Bargnani. Its time for Raps fans to face it that unless someone brutally murders one of his family members in front of him hes never gonna get tough. Maybe thats a bit harsh but he will never be **** in the NBA. FACE IT!

i seen hippos
06-26-2008, 12:03 PM

If the Celtics can win the championship with a PG like Rondo, it seriously changes my perspective on how important the PG position is. And its not as if the Celtic 3 were all awesome every night during the playoffs. KG, Allen had streches of severly below-averagisity (TM).

Maybe Rap fans should dump both PGs for stars and just put Delfino out there. Forbid him to shoot and how is he not exactly like Rondo?

Not only Rondo, but House and an old fart in Cassell coming off the bench.

But having a top top 6 pg is important. If you replace Ray Allen with say Deron Williams, they're that much better.

In Toronto's case, you'd rather swap a good backup pg for a good starting forward. There are backup pg's out there that can step up and while not equal Ford, contribute solidly. I referenced Pargo a day or two ago.

Skywalker
06-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Delfino starting at PG lol. No way. Rondo is good. Really good on D.

Good Old Willy
06-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Not only Rondo, but House and an old fart in Cassell coming off the bench.

But having a top top 6 pg is important. If you replace Ray Allen with say Deron Williams, they're that much better.

In Toronto's case, you'd rather swap a good backup pg for a good starting forward. There are backup pg's out there that can step up and while not equal Ford, contribute solidly. I referenced Pargo a day or two ago.

Cassell, true they played him and he was ok.

But come on - the C's won with RONDO and HOUSE! :banghead:

Maybe the Raps should trade Calderon + their future + soul ... for some star winger. IF the C's can assemble a big three, why not the everyone else? Get Wade or Arenas or someting. I hear Kobe is good too, though his quality is somewhat debated on ISH. ...

LJJ
06-26-2008, 12:13 PM
An O'Neal / Bosh front court would be scary in the East.

"in the east" :rolleyes:

Bosh + healthy O'neal could very well be the best big man duo in the L.

Good Old Willy
06-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Delfino starting at PG lol. No way. Rondo is good. Really good on D.

So is delfino, hence the comparison.

craigthomasb
06-26-2008, 12:15 PM
i hope to god this isnt all we come out of the draft with

good from team with bright future to 1st / 2nd round failure for the nest 3 years (not much different to where we currently are)

the only other option is bc to trade bargnani for good 3 and go for broke now rather than wait

i seen hippos
06-26-2008, 12:16 PM
i hope to god this isnt all we come out of the draft with

good from team with bright future to 1st / 2nd round failure for the nest 3 years (not much different to where we currently are)

the only other option is bc to trade bargnani for good 3 and go for broke now rather than wait

Supposedly BC is trying to get a pick later in the first round, which I'm really happy about. Draft a big like Hardin or Hendrix or take a guard like Lee who could turn out to be special.

RAPSCANWIN
06-26-2008, 12:32 PM

The fact that the Celtics won with Rondo...a second year player, should only speak to the fact that Rondo is a good PG. I dont remember a PG doing that since Magic in his rookie year. Maybe we're underrating Rondo.

Qwyjibo
06-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Hardin is who I want if he falls to the 41 pick.

Kujo
06-26-2008, 12:35 PM

:applause:

Feschuk is one of the few Toronto media guys that see's things objectively.

I was listening to Eric Smith, and Paul Jones praising this trade on the radio last night, and I was just shaking my head.

It is starting to look like BC is not genius everyone made him out to be.

This could turn out to be a great trade, and Feschuk, and many others, including myself, could end up eating our words. The silver lining at the end of this trade is the cap space that will be available in 2010.

InspiredLebowski
06-26-2008, 12:39 PM
:applause:

Feschuk is one of the few Toronto media guys that see's things objectively.

I was listening to Eric Smith, and Paul Jones praising this trade on the radio last night, and I was just shaking my head.

Your Colts avatar and Toronto location are very confusing.

Qwyjibo
06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
I think everyone knows that Jermaine's offensive game isn't too good and that he tends to take some bad shots. But really, so what? The defensive and rebounding improvements the Raptors will get from this move will offset all that IMO.

Besides, Colangelo's Euro plan is still going. Now they have a jump shooting Irish C.

i seen hippos
06-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Hardin is who I want if he falls to the 41 pick.

I can't see that happening. He has too much potential.

I mean for all of his short comings including being unagressive on the boards, he is a physical specimen and when he wants to, he can rebound.

I can't say for sure what his problem was at Cal other then being paired alongside Ryan Anderson who was putting 21/10 or something like that.

Hardin could be a rich man's Millsap if he becomes more aggressive on the boards because of his size and strength. If BC did get another pic in the 25-30 range, I'd take him right there and not hope he falls. He did show his potential earlier in his career so he can do the things I hope he can (although regressing whether you play alongside a great big man or not is never a good sign).

Draft Giddens at 41. I said he'd be a steal months ago. His star went down since transferring from Kansas, but he's matured. Became a leader too. Would be a strong take it to the hole sg/sf.

If BC doesn't get another pick (and we do in fact get Indy's second rounder), I think Hardin will be gone so maybe someone like Hendrix.

If we come out of the summer with

Calderon/vet FA
Parker/Delfino/Giddens
Kapono/Moon/Graham
Bosh/Bargnani/Humphries
O'Neal/Rasho(if he does come back as a rumour suggested)/Hardin

I will be very pleased.

power works
06-26-2008, 12:43 PM

Raptors basically traded their backup PG

Qwyjibo
06-26-2008, 12:46 PM
I can't see that happening. He has too much potential.

Yea that's probably true. I could even see the Spurs taking him at the end of the 1st round since it looks like Splitter is going to be staying in Europe a LONG time and Kurt Thomas is gone too.

Good Old Willy
06-26-2008, 12:47 PM
The fact that the Celtics won with Rondo...a second year player, should only speak to the fact that Rondo is a good PG. I dont remember a PG doing that since Magic in his rookie year. Maybe we're underrating Rondo.

Yup. I for sure am guilty of that.

I was surprised he played as much as he did and managed to score at all, in the games where the big three were not dominant.

Good Old Willy
06-26-2008, 12:49 PM
[quote=power works... What exactly did people expect in return?!...[/quote]

I wanted Iggy.

i seen hippos
06-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I wanted Iggy.

I would have gizzed my pants if we got my favorite player in the world.:roll:

bjtrdff
06-26-2008, 01:01 PM
I think the 41 has to go towards anyone who falls (obviously) or someone with potential first round talent but other issues, injuries, buyouts, whatever.

Lee, Walker, Dorsey, White. Snagging any of those four would make me super happy.

I'd probably bust a nut if we could somehow snag Lee, whether because he falls, or because we weasel our way into a late first round pick. Depending on where we could move to, I wouldn't mind involving Ukic.

bonez26
06-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Lee will go end of the first round but I believe the Raps will try to sng him if they get a pick. Good fit for the Raps. I'd like to see at 41 ...a guy that lots of people haven't talked about but could be a solid role player. Will Daniels from Rhode Island...can score in a multitude of ways and is a decent rebounder. Already has an NBA body...could be a potential sleeper in the draft.

Skywalker
06-26-2008, 01:56 PM
How is this a bad trade at all? Feschuk is a moron. Our needs for the past 3 years have been DEFENSE and REBOUNDING. After Duncan, KG, Dwight,.... Im stuck who else fits the mold better? Sheed? EHHHHH

The fact that we have Calderon lightens the blow of giving up TJ. In the end its out backup PG, 17th pick, backup center, for our new starting center, who is a 6 time all star. Obviously its a gamble. Bu TJ is a gamble too. We got exactly what we needed. Feschuk needs to shut TFU!

Y2Gezee
06-26-2008, 05:08 PM
I love this trade for both teams. I do however believe that the Raps traded the wrong pg. TJ is better than Calderon, but he'll do. If Toronto can get a good sg/sf to go along with the new twin towers of the North and Calderon, they'll be a force in the East. Hell if JO stays healthy, and I think he got exactly what he needed in a change of scenery and will stay healthy or work through more pain, the Raps will be a force regardless.

And I like the trade for Indy as well.

AItheAnswer3
06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Great deal for both the teams...Raps are guaranteed the top 5 spot in the eastern conference...a frontcourt with Bosh N O'Neal would be killer...I can finally support the home team

Good Old Willy
06-26-2008, 05:17 PM
How is this a bad trade at all? Feschuk is a moron. Our needs for the past 3 years have been DEFENSE and REBOUNDING. After Duncan, KG, Dwight,.... Im stuck who else fits the mold better? Sheed? EHHHHH

The fact that we have Calderon lightens the blow of giving up TJ. In the end its out backup PG, 17th pick, backup center, for our new starting center, who is a 6 time all star. Obviously its a gamble. Bu TJ is a gamble too. We got exactly what we needed. Feschuk needs to shut TFU!
Grange (G&M) takes the same perspective today.

And for the record, both probably read my early comments here, and THEN posted their updates. :)

Feschuk's reporting on basketball has gotten a lot better this last year. The article I quoted is what it is - sceptical, but good. Why should he shut up? Just cause he isn't kowtowing?

jaydacris
06-26-2008, 05:46 PM
now its time to get granger ;]

MaxFly
06-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Toronto is making moves, I must say... The East will be more competitive next season, no doubt about it.

insidehoops
07-09-2008, 01:32 PM
The trade that everyone has known about for a while now is finally official and a done deal:

The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have acquired six-time NBA All-Star forward-centre Jermaine O

artificial
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
What will Toronto fans do now without the almighty Rasho? :(

Miller Time
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Been waiting for this. Can Roy Hibbert join the summer league team now?

When will the B-rush trade be official?

Miller Time
07-09-2008, 01:37 PM
^ nevermind, just checked the Pacers website, and the blazers - pacers deal is also official.

plat1num
07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
sweet, O'Neal is doing his press conference now.

JordanL
07-09-2008, 01:44 PM
The trade that everyone has known about for a while now is finally official and a done deal:

The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have acquired six-time NBA All-Star forward-centre Jermaine O’Neal and the draft rights to forward-centre Nathan Jawai, the 41st overall selection in the 2008 NBA Draft, from the Indiana Pacers in exchange for guard TJ Ford, centre Rasho Nesterovic, forward Maceo Baston and the draft rights to centre Roy Hibbert.

http://www.insidehoops.com/ford-oneal-trade-070908.shtml

I didn't know you were British Jeff.

insidehoops
07-09-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm not; that was part of a press release from Toronto. I'm born/raised in NYC.

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2008, 01:50 PM
What will Toronto fans do now without the almighty Rasho? :(win :confusedshrug:

bigboi_baller
07-09-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm not; that was part of a press release from Toronto. I'm born/raised in NYC.
Aren't one of you admins from the Sacramento area?

plat1num
07-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Alright so Bargs wont give up his number, O'neal gets 6

bjtrdff
07-09-2008, 02:05 PM
JO was extremely well-spoken during the press conference. I had no idea how well he could speak. Definitely said all of the right things. I think this is going to be very positive, especially if the knee is healed like he and BC (and the team doctors) have said.

insidehoops
07-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Bump

insidehoops
07-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Bump

jaydacris
07-09-2008, 03:17 PM
press conference introducing jermaine o'neal is on the score (canada)
jermaine is very well spoken, and so far he seems extremely excited. says that in las vegas, and in toronto, hes received very nice receptions from canadian fans. talked about his knee, and how healthy he is.

jaydacris
07-09-2008, 03:51 PM
jose took a $1,107 paycut in the first year of his contract! wut a guy! :)

A.M.G.
07-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Canadians spell it that way, too. The right way.

Welcome, Jermaine O'Neal! :cheers: For $21 million per, you had BETTER ****ing come to play this year!!! Why do teams EVER pay a player more than $20 million per, you shouldn't even be allowed to make contracts bigger than that.

Beebo
07-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Will they show the press conference on the Raptor site??

bokes15
07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Will they show the press conference on the Raptor site??
they had it live, i missed it because i was at work, but found the audio link: http://mvn.com/hoopsaddict/2008/07/0...ce-in-toronto/

edit: all the interviews are now posted on NBA.com

bjtrdff
07-09-2008, 07:23 PM
jose took a $1,107 paycut in the first year of his contract! wut a guy! :)

You totally didn't understand what BC said.

He took a 60 thousand pay cut in the first year so they'd get under the tax. Now they're 1100 under the tax.

Not a huge deal by any means, but they had an agreement that he agreed to change.

insidehoops
07-11-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm gay. :lol

catzhernandez
07-12-2008, 02:12 AM
w00t! We get a big time thread!

jbot
07-12-2008, 07:35 AM
w00t! We get a big time thread!

:party: :party: :rockon: :party: :party:

jbot
07-12-2008, 07:36 AM
:party: :party: :rockon: :party: :party:

i'm just hoping ford doesn't turn out to be a pain in the neck.

catzhernandez
07-12-2008, 02:38 PM
i'm just hoping ford doesn't turn out to be a pain in the neck.
Don't jinx us... PLEASE don't jinx us.

JoHnShOeZ1492
07-13-2008, 02:50 PM
i heart c0ck

jbot
07-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Good Trade For:
Raptors
Bad Trade For:
Pacers

:rolleyes: