PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Point Guards of the 1980s

Hejira
07-16-2008, 02:06 PM
1. Magic Johnson - duh
2. Isiah Thomas - also obvious, imo
3. Dennis Johnson - super defender and clutch player on 2 championship teams.
4. Maurice Cheeks - solid all decade, floor general for one of the greatest teams of all time (82/83 Sixers)
5. Fat Lever - a walking triple-double at 6'3", 18 ppg scorer, and could D-up. Injuries cut his career a little short, but he had a great 4 year peak.
6. John Stockton - 3 huge years at the end of the decade after 3 seasons as the best backup point in the league
7. Michael Ray Richardson - one of the more spectacular, exciting players of the early 80s and a drug casualty. Turnover prone, but knew how to play
8. Norm Nixon - backcourt mate with Magic for several years before being traded to the other LA team
9. Derek Harper - solid 18-8 guy on some good Dallas teams
10. Sleepy Floyd - put up 53 on the Lakers in one of the more memorable playoff games of the decade

Honorable mentions: John Lucas, Ricky Green, Gus Williams, Johnny Moore
Too soon: Mark Price, Kevin Johnson, Terry Porter

L.Kizzle
07-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Otis Birdsong, was he a PG or SG?

Hejira
07-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Shooting guard.

32MJ32
07-17-2008, 08:25 PM
What year did Mark Jackson get drafted? 88?

I find it amazing that he's consisently left off lists around here when he's 2nd all-time in assists. He played for like 104 teams, doesn't anybody remember him?

At least throw my boy in the "too soon" category.

Hejira
07-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Jackson's ROY season was 87/88. He certainly deserves an honorable mention, although I'd consider him more of a 90s player like the other guys.

L.Kizzle
07-18-2008, 12:36 AM
he thing is while Jackson is second all-time in assist, he really didn't do much (which sounds crazy as I just said he's 2nd in assist!) He doesn't have the accolades others have. He has a ROY from '88, and one All-Star appearance from '89, that's it. No All-NBA teams, no nothin'.

feyki
10-20-2016, 06:39 PM
I'm surprising , how underrated Johnny Moore is and was. I didn't know about his game , he was amazing impactful player .

Lebron23
05-22-2020, 02:40 AM
Good lists so far.

Lion's pride
05-22-2020, 02:51 AM
1. Magic Johnson - duh
2. Isiah Thomas - also obvious, imo
3. Dennis Johnson - super defender and clutch player on 2 championship teams.
4. Maurice Cheeks - solid all decade, floor general for one of the greatest teams of all time (82/83 Sixers)
5. Fat Lever - a walking triple-double at 6'3", 18 ppg scorer, and could D-up. Injuries cut his career a little short, but he had a great 4 year peak.
6. John Stockton - 3 huge years at the end of the decade after 3 seasons as the best backup point in the league
7. Michael Ray Richardson - one of the more spectacular, exciting players of the early 80s and a drug casualty. Turnover prone, but knew how to play
8. Norm Nixon - backcourt mate with Magic for several years before being traded to the other LA team
9. Derek Harper - solid 18-8 guy on some good Dallas teams
10. Sleepy Floyd - put up 53 on the Lakers in one of the more memorable playoff games of the decade

Honorable mentions: John Lucas, Ricky Green, Gus Williams, Johnny Moore
Too soon: Mark Price, Kevin Johnson, Terry Porter

good list.. Paul Pressey may not have been a true PG but did run the PG for the Bucks often..