PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Sign Kelenna Azubuike To Offer Sheet

qrich
07-17-2008, 05:58 PM
UPDATE: The signing is now official (to the offer sheet)
http://www.insidehoops.com/azubuike-clippers-071708.shtml

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3494107

3 years/10 mil.

LAS VEGAS  The Los Angeles Clippers have identified the latest target in their recovery from the free-agent loss of Elton Brand by agreeing to terms on an offer sheet with restricted free agent Kelenna Azubuike of the Golden State Warriors.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that the Clippers have extended a multi-year offer using their estimated $3 million in salary-cap space leftover after completing a trade Tuesday with the Denver Nuggets to acquire center Marcus Camby as their primary Brand replacement.

The Warriors will have seven days to match the offer when the deal is completed, but the Clippers would appear to have a good chance of emerging from that wait with Azubuike. Although the England-born swingman has had some success under coach Don Nelson in Oakland, Golden State has Monta Ellis, Corey Maggette and Stephen Jackson ahead of Azubuike in Nelson's rotation as well as 2007 first-round pick Marco Belinelli.

ihatetimthomas
07-17-2008, 06:01 PM
He would def. be a nice addition. I like his game and with a logjam of swingmen, I see Warriors letting him go

KobesOneUglyTat
07-17-2008, 06:02 PM
great signing by the clippers, he's a solid swing player with athleticism and a good shot (from what i've seen) and the warriors probably won't match becasue of the logjam at the position. plus the warriors still have to worry about re-signing ellis, beidris, and matt barnes.

good move

Hopper15
07-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Warriors will match.

KobesOneUglyTat
07-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Warriors will match.

doubt it

Posterize246
07-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Warriors will match.
After they signed Maggette? Already have Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, Anthony Randolph, Richard Hendrix, and Belinelli. I doubt they match. They can still get Barnes back too.

Hopper15
07-17-2008, 06:15 PM
After they signed Maggette? Already have Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, Anthony Randolph, Richard Hendrix, and Belinelli. I doubt they match. They can still get Barnes back too.

The Warriors still aren't going let him walk for nothing. 3 years/10 mil is nothing considering how far the Warriors are under the luxury tax.

bagelred
07-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Re: Clippers Sign Azu To Offer Sheet

It's pronounced "Apu"

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/gallery/images/Apu1.gif

qrich
07-17-2008, 06:19 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/marty_burns/11/15/five.to.know/p1.azubuike.jpg

Hopefully the W's don't match and this could mean goodbye to Q Ross. I wonder who'll sign him now. I still want Devin Brown as well!

loot
07-17-2008, 06:22 PM
no problem to me if we keep ross. never hurts to have a guy like him but if he can get more minutes somewhere or more money, let him go. hes a good guy.

i like the azu signing. barnes would probably be too expensive.

veilside23
07-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Kelenna Azubuike is better than ross. nice pick up for the clippers they are slowly getting better and better after losing elton brand.

Posterize246
07-17-2008, 06:25 PM
The Warriors still aren't going let him walk for nothing. 3 years/10 mil is nothing considering how far the Warriors are under the luxury tax.
I'd save the roster spot and go after a pg. There's like 6 players that can play small forward in GS. But who is behind Monta at pg?

loot
07-17-2008, 06:26 PM
:oldlol: stephen. he's probably the best playmaker on the team now...

Hopper15
07-17-2008, 06:30 PM
I'd save the roster spot and go after a pg. There's like 6 players that can play small forward in GS. But who is behind Monta at pg?

So not matching this offer restricts the Warriors from still going after a back up PG. Get real dude.

bdreason
07-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Clips can have him.

nicsman
07-17-2008, 06:49 PM
So does this mean that LAC won't go after Iguodala?

Posterize246
So not matching this offer restricts the Warriors from still going after a back up PG. Get real dude.
My point is why match? Half of your roster can play his position. You just signed a sf, you already have Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington can play the position, you just drafted Anthony Randolph who can play the position. Don't see where it's necessary to keep him.

Posterize246
the camby trade finished any iguodala talks

nicsman
07-17-2008, 06:52 PM
the camby trade finished any iguodala talks
That's koool, I want to keep hold of Dre. What about you?

hawkfan
07-17-2008, 06:53 PM
The Clippers need another big.

Chris Anderson would be a solid addition.

Hopper15
07-17-2008, 06:58 PM
My point is why match? Half of your roster can play his position. You just signed a sf, you already have Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington can play the position, you just drafted Anthony Randolph who can play the position. Don't see where it's necessary to keep him.

You can argue this all night, but bottom line having Buike for depth at 3 mil far out weighs losing him for nothing.

intrinsic
07-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Kelenna Azubuike is better than ross. nice pick up for the clippers they are slowly getting better and better after losing elton brand.

i was a REALLY big fan of Q. Ross, but I can see why u say that.

veilside23
07-17-2008, 07:12 PM
i was a REALLY big fan of Q. Ross, but I can see why u say that.

i am a fan of him too not to many people knows his game though. he is like tony allen lesser athleticism

starface
07-17-2008, 07:16 PM
As soon as they signed Camby and it became clear they could make a play for one more quality free agent role player, Azabuike was the guy I pined for. If they end up signing him i will be
http://www.illustrated-db-discography.nl/12inch/pix/DITS.jpg

starface
07-17-2008, 07:16 PM

Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?

WorldWarriors
07-17-2008, 07:20 PM

CJ Watson.

WorldWarriors
07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Warriors still have to wait to see if the Lakers match Turiaf. The league exended their time to match? They have until midnight Saturday morning to make a decision. So if they get Turiaf they may not have the luxury of resigning Buike. They still have to find a decent backup for Monta.

starface
07-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Warriors still have to wait to see if the Lakers match Turiaf. The league exended their time to match? They have until midnight Saturday morning to make a decision. So if they get Turiaf they may not have the luxury of resigning Buike. They still have to find a decent backup for Monta.

lakers wont match turiaf, they've gotta save room to sign all those top-tier all-stars left out there who are clawing tooth and nail to get to LA and play for the Lakers and Kobe.......right Laker fans? ironically i think the lakers front office is as delusional and egocentric as the laker fans themselves, it wouldnt surprise me if they did that.

dab0yech0
07-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Am I the only one that sees Azubuike as a poorman's Corey Maggette? Although he may not get to the line as much as Maggette, what does Corey do that he doesn't? I love this signing for the Clippers and I hope the Warriors don't match. Personally I love Maggette but Azubuike more than adequately replaces him.

ihatetimthomas
07-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Am I the only one that sees Azubuike as a poorman's Corey Maggette? Although he may not get to the line as much as Maggette, what does Corey do that he doesn't? I love this signing for the Clippers and I hope the Warriors don't match. Personally I love Maggette but Azubuike more than adequately replaces him.

Maggette is a more adequate scorer. Azuibuike has potential, but Maggette can get to the hole better and take hits. But I love this if they can keep him. He is young, strong and has huge potential.

I hope they can also re-sign Ross. Ross will help to backup Mobley as well. Im surprised no one has picked him up, very underrated

DuMa
07-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Warriors and Clippers are just swapping guys left and right without a trade. INCONCIEVABLE!!!!!!!

StroShow4
07-17-2008, 08:22 PM
i hope the W's match. his D is much needed off the bench.

dab0yech0
07-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Maggette is a more adequate scorer. Azuibuike has potential, but Maggette can get to the hole better and take hits. But I love this if they can keep him. He is young, strong and has huge potential.

I hope they can also re-sign Ross. Ross will help to backup Mobley as well. Im surprised no one has picked him up, very underrated

Thus why I called him a poorman's Maggette. Azubuike certainly has the athleticism and looks like hes increasing his body strength so he definitely has the potential to take contact, Corey is more efficient and also better at drawing contact but I think with experience that will eventually come to Kelenna.

I am also surprised he isn't signed yet and I expect a team like Boston to come swoop him in right away after the lost of Posey...

Do we still have the MLE? or once you sign a MLE player (Tim Thomas 2 yrs ago) it means its gone?

starface
07-17-2008, 08:29 PM
the running and the gunning that could take place for the clippers if the situation calls for it would be unbelievable

Baron
Gordon
THornton
Azabuike
DeAndre

that lineup could throw up a 15 point lead in a flurry before the other team even knows whats happening, and then all the sudden you bring in the twin towers Kaman and Cambyman to slow it down and seal the deal, and thats a wrap. Clippers FTW

insidehoops
07-17-2008, 08:30 PM
The signing (to the offer sheet) is now officially a done deal: http://www.insidehoops.com/azubuike-clippers-071708.shtml

dab0yech0
07-17-2008, 08:30 PM
the running and the gunning that could take place for the clippers if the situation calls for it would be unbelievable

Baron
Gordon
THornton
Azabuike
DeAndre

teams wouldnt even know what his them. ridiculous.

I think Camby in that lineup would be better. DeAndre has been showing too much fatigue too quickly and its only summer league games. The guy definitely has to work on his conditioning.

SD Sports Guy
07-17-2008, 08:32 PM

I like the Azu signing and agree that they need to lock up Ross as well. Q is a solid perimeter defender in the mold of a Bruce Bowen. If he could ever learn to hit the open 3 like BB then he'll guarantee himself a spot in the league for the next decade. Things are looking up for the Clips!

starface
07-17-2008, 08:33 PM
I think Camby in that lineup would be better. DeAndre has been showing too much fatigue too quickly and its only summer league games. The guy definitely has to work on his conditioning.

your probably right about camby being better in that lineup, but the assumption is that they would go with it while he and kaman are resting, so thats why i threw him in there.

veilside23
07-17-2008, 08:48 PM
so after this signing you guys still have $2 million left right? its just enough to keep ross ...

qrich
07-17-2008, 09:01 PM
so after this signing you guys still have $2 million left right? its just enough to keep ross ...

We can go over the cap to keep Ross, it isn't a big deal, and I don't see us signing any real contributor for 2 mil. Probably get a veteran big man[Elson/Potapenko] or something, then ink Ross. Looks like our depth chart would be IF W's don't match on Azu:

Baron Davis - Brevin Knight - Mike Taylor
Cuttino Mobley - Eric Gordon - Marcus Williams
Al Thornton - Quinton Ross - Kelenna Azubuike
Marcus Camby - Josh Powell - Nick Fazekas
Chris Kaman - Veteran Bigman - DeAndre Jordan

starface
07-17-2008, 09:04 PM
We can go over the cap to keep Ross, it isn't a big deal, and I don't see us signing any real contributor for 2 mil. Probably get a veteran big man[Elson/Potapenko] or something, then ink Ross. Looks like our depth chart would be IF W's don't match on Azu:

What about Tinman?

veilside23
07-17-2008, 09:06 PM

dude its official already so its not an if any more as mentioned by ISH

The signing (to the offer sheet) is now officially a done deal: http://www.insidehoops.com/azubuike-...s-071708.shtml

your line up is really good could get you to playoff even though the west is tough as long as everyone will be healthy this is the biggest IF

qrich
07-17-2008, 09:08 PM

your line up is really good could get you to playoff even though the west is tough as long as everyone will be healthy this is the biggest IF

I know we signed him, but the Warriors have 7 days to match, so they have until next Friday. If they don't, then he's a Clipper, but they could since it's a pretty small contract. I forgot about Tim Thomas, scratch Quinton Ross then or the veteran big man.

starface
07-17-2008, 09:09 PM

oh boy...

before everyone roasts you, let me 'splain this to you.

azabuike signed an offer sheet with the clippers. the golden state warriors still have the right to match the offer he agreed to, because he is a restricted free agent. they have 7 days to do so, therefore at this point it is unknown whether he will actually end up playing for the clippers

insidehoops
07-17-2008, 09:09 PM

No. It wasn't official earlier in the day. It was just a report.

veilside23
07-17-2008, 09:12 PM
I know we signed him, but the Warriors have 7 days to match, so they have until next Friday. If they don't, then he's a Clipper, but they could since it's a pretty small contract. I forgot about Tim Thomas, scratch Quinton Ross then or the veteran big man.

i doubt they will match it .. they are pretty loaded there...

monta , magette, sjax , belinelli,randolph plus they still havent signed barnes. they just re signed biedrins to a bigger contractand monta's contract is still in the works for sure his money would be around $9-11M .... so its either they counter and let barnes go or vice versa.

lawlerslaw100
07-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Excellent move again by the Clipper brain trust.
First Cambyman for a second round pick and now
Buick for a small contract and no players or draft picks.

As for the Warriors matching, not likely:confusedshrug:

The Warriors have a glut of swingman and Maximus
will be taking most of the minutes at SF leaving
only the SG spot available.

Further, the Warriors put their $$ on Turiaf, a good
move on their part to fill their weakness up front.
The Lakers wont match Turiaf because they have
chosen to keep Vukovich instead. They are near the
lux tax and cant afford Turiaf. Added to the Warriors
problems is they need $$ for Biedrins and Monta.

The Clips now wont be bringing back offensively challenged
defender Q Ross.
They now have a better player in Buick who could be
a poor man's Maggette.

The Clips last move after losing
Elton Brand will be to add a backup PG.
The options include resigning Shaun Livingston
or making a trade using either players or
draft choices. Look at teams with a glut of
PGs or salary cap problems as the candidates for the next move.:rockon:

nicsman
07-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
Yup, I just keep getting my head stuck in the clouds...

NeighborhoodKid
07-17-2008, 10:27 PM
after the whole ELton Bran situation i thought the Clips were headed down another wrong path. but now with the addition of Camby to pair up wiht Kaman and now adding Kelenna. i mean this could be a formidable team, not a contender but still a force in the West

Remix
07-17-2008, 10:42 PM
What's with all the Boozer/Kaman talks? Is this done with or not, I haven't been on much to see lately.

Anyways, I'd like to see;

Davis/Free Agent
Azubuike/Gordon/Ross
Thornton/Mobely/Ross
Boozer/Powell
Camby/Jordan

lawlerslaw100
07-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Rumors..I don't see the popular KAveman leaving LA especially
when he has great assistant coach in Kim Hughes mentoring him
(Hughes could be Dunleavy's replacement.) and he is
one of the few players who likes Dunleavy.

As for Boozer, I see the current lineup as a better from a depth
and chemistry standpoint than if we traded Kaveman. I think
the Kaveman rumors are being generated in Utah where
the Jazz are worried about losing Boozer next year for nothing
to free agency.

Last thing, KAveman is locked to a long term contract with the
Clips. We have him for four more years and a fair price.
The man's game is exploding and he will thrive with the
Red Baron captaining and running and gunning this team.:cheers:

What's with all the Boozer/Kaman talks? Is this done with or not, I haven't been on much to see lately.

Anyways, I'd like to see;

Davis/Free Agent
Azubuike/Gordon/Ross
Thornton/Mobely/Ross
Boozer/Powell
Camby/Jordan

baseketball4life
07-17-2008, 11:10 PM
thats too bad, he's actually good... nice pick up by the Clipps

Warriors won't match, they want to make a run at another FA and spend almost the rest of there money on that

baseketball4life
07-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Azubuike ain't gonna start but he's going to get solid run and make a difference for the Clipps

lawlerslaw100
07-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Azubuike ain't gonna start but he's going to get solid run and make a difference for the Clipps

The man was signed to depth and round out the rotation.

Starters
PG Red Baron
SG Cat (until Eric the Red takes over)
SF Al "Jr Dominque" Thornton
PF Marcus "Ghost Dog" Cambyman
C Kaiser KAveman

Bench
PG Brevin Knight (unless we upgrade)
SG Eric Gordon
SG/SF Buick
PF/C Josh (former Warrior) Powell
SF/PF Timmy "my A is now on fire" Thomas

starface
07-17-2008, 11:19 PM
you know, the more i think about it, the more i dont see why the warriors WOULDNT match this deal and then just trade azabuike if they feel like it. it's not as if they're being forced to match a contract that would make him unmovable. 3 years/10 million for a guy who is a very solid contributor and only 23 years old? even if the warriors dont have him in their own future plans, they would be crazy not to keep the rights to him and that very reasonable contract and at the very least use him as a trading chip to get a piece they actually need.

honestly with a contract like that they could move him at any time they wanted. there will be a market for him and that contract from now until the day its up. unfortunately im now more convinced teh warriors will match

trig
07-17-2008, 11:20 PM
It would be nice to see a running team that actually plays defense. It would also be interesting so see Camby play around guys that actually cares for defense. In denver he has to litterally guard everybody. I'm sure clips will be fun to watch this season.

Can they still go after barnes?

veilside23
07-17-2008, 11:24 PM
The man was signed to depth and round out the rotation.

Bench
PG Brevin Knight (unless we upgrade)
SG Eric Gordon
SG/SF Buick
PF/C Josh (former Warrior) Powell
SF/PF Timmy "my A is now on fire" Thomas

you are forgetting mike taylor dude.

Darius
07-17-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure if Taylor is ready for the NBA. He is horrendous at taking care of the ball - you can't have that in a backup.

KeylessEntry
07-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Nice deal for Kelenna, he was making like $700,000 here in GS last year. I wonder if the clippers offer has anything to do with how well Azabuike guarded Kobe during those 2 games last year.

veilside23
07-17-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure if Taylor is ready for the NBA. He is horrendous at taking care of the ball - you can't have that in a backup.

taylor is like a mad dog in defending people something that you cant get out of a brevin knight ...

StroShow4
07-17-2008, 11:58 PM
I wonder if the clippers offer has anything to do with how well Azabuike guarded Kobe during those 2 games last year.

his defense was crap, kobe just missed easy shots.

baseketball4life
07-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Nice deal for Kelenna, he was making like $700,000 here in GS last year. I wonder if the clippers offer has anything to do with how well Azabuike guarded Kobe during those 2 games last year.
maybe has something to do with it, but the kid is a solid pro, can shoot the 3, finish at the rim with nice dunks, handle it a bit, run up and down the court all day, hard nose defense on multiple positions... nice pro

GoStanford
07-18-2008, 12:19 AM
warriors aren't bringing back barnes. Azubuike will be a warrior next season. With pietrus and barnes gone, there's no possible way they'd let azubuike go.

dab0yech0
07-18-2008, 12:29 AM

He can score in bunches however. This guy reminds me so much of Dajuan Wagner. But yes he does have to improve his defense.

darabzarrabi
07-18-2008, 12:32 AM
warriors aren't bringing back barnes. Azubuike will be a warrior next season. With pietrus and barnes gone, there's no possible way they'd let azubuike go.

Well they added Maggette and I am assuming Marco is going to get more time this year so their wings are still pretty loaded...and their pg situation is pretty murky...maybe they spend that money on a pg

Heretik32
07-18-2008, 03:54 AM
Warriors should look to S&T Azu. Signing him just for the sake of it and sticking him into an already crowded wingman pool wouldn't really increase his motivation, I fear.

loot
07-18-2008, 04:22 AM
why is barnes gone? ill take him on the clippers any day.

starface
07-18-2008, 04:24 AM
why is barnes gone? ill take him on the clippers any day.

he's an unrestricted free agent.

Kiddlovesnets
07-18-2008, 05:52 AM
It seems interesting that the Clippers are sparing no efforts to acquire players from GS...

Mateo
07-18-2008, 06:41 AM
Haha, letting a solid player go because you have a draft pick who you like is a terrible, terrible idea. For all we know Belinelli might never be an NBA quality player. So why let go someone who you already know is?

clipps
07-18-2008, 08:46 AM
The Clippers have done a great job recovering from the loss of Elton Brand. This definitely leaves the Clippers with a very athletic, exciting team... So many players that can jump out of the building. Eric Gordon, Al Thornton, Azubuike, Baron Davis is pretty explosive, Camby is athletic for his size and age, Kaman is mobile for his size. This sure beats the hell of watching a guard throw the ball down to Elton, wait for Elton to draw a double, than kick it out to a somewhat open Cat or Timmy who proceeds to chuck bricks. Now if the Clippers can re-sign Shaun Livingston so the Clippers can have a solid backup PG, the Clippers can really turn some heads.

Starters
C- Chris Kaman
F- Marcus Camby
F- Al Thornton
G- Cuttino Mobley(until Eric is ready)
G- Baron Davis

Bench
C- DeAndre Jordan
F- Tim Thomas
F- Kelenna Azubuike
G- Eric Gordon
G- Shaun Livingston

If everything goes well, this team can reach 50 wins.

Knuck the Ficks
07-18-2008, 08:51 AM
The only way the Clippers win 50 is if all of the following players suffered season ending injuries or died:

Kobe
Nash
Amare
Timmy
Dirk
Yao
TMac
Deron
Chris Paul

Even then, I'd still bet against 50 wins.

clipps
07-18-2008, 08:55 AM
The only way the Clippers win 50 is if all of the following players suffered season ending injuries or died:

Kobe
Nash
Amare
Timmy
Dirk
Yao
TMac
Deron
Chris Paul

Even then, I'd still bet against 50 wins.

Of course you would. They are the Clippers.

Interminator
07-18-2008, 09:36 AM
The Clippers have done a great job recovering from the loss of Elton Brand. This definitely leaves the Clippers with a very athletic, exciting team... So many players that can jump out of the building. Eric Gordon, Al Thornton, Azubuike, Baron Davis is pretty explosive, Camby is athletic for his size and age, Kaman is mobile for his size. This sure beats the hell of watching a guard throw the ball down to Elton, wait for Elton to draw a double, than kick it out to a somewhat open Cat or Timmy who proceeds to chuck bricks. Now if the Clippers can re-sign Shaun Livingston so the Clippers can have a solid backup PG, the Clippers can really turn some heads.

Starters
C- Chris Kaman
F- Marcus Camby
F- Al Thornton
G- Cuttino Mobley(until Eric is ready)
G- Baron Davis

Bench
C- DeAndre Jordan
F- Nick Fazekas?
F- Tim Thomas
F- Kelenna Azubuike
G- Eric Gordon
G- Brevin Knight
G- Mike Taylor

Shaun's gone & i doubt he's coming back to the Clippers.

I think LA should add another player in the front court,depending on the interest I'd go after Jamaal Magloire because if an injury takes place in the front court I don't know how well DeAndre Jordan would be able to step in at the 4 or 5.

Posterize246
07-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Shaun's gone & i doubt he's coming back to the Clippers.

I think LA should add another player in the front court,depending on the interest I'd go after Jamaal Magloire because if an injury takes place in the front court I don't know how well DeAndre Jordan would be able to step in at the 4 or 5.
I think Magloire's career might be over. How about Brian Skinner?

Interminator
07-18-2008, 10:58 AM
I think Magloire's career might be over. How about Brian Skinner?
That would be better.

Skinner grabs boards & blocks shots.

Posterize246
07-18-2008, 11:01 AM
That would be better.

Skinner grabs boards & blocks shots.
1.17 bpg in 12 mpg. That's pretty damn good.

starface
07-18-2008, 01:30 PM
bump cuz i am very excite!

http://www.herecomestheboss.com/images/news/lg_a-borat2.jpg