PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Shots

Kumo
07-22-2008, 08:28 PM
How can I develop more power for my shot? I'm 15, and have been lifting weights, and hitting the gym a bit recently, but whenever I go out to the 3 point line my shots not normal. Its more like I'm throwing it up, rather than using my shot I have been trying to develop from mid-range game. Do I just need to venture out there more and I'll get better, or build up my legs to be stronger, or my arms? Its been really bugging me, and I want to get my long range game a lot better. Thanks.

Sicknote
07-22-2008, 11:24 PM
I have this same problem and I'm physically stronger than the people I play with. It makes me feel like an idiot when I chuck up a prayer while they let it go so smooth, I know it's not my strength, so I'm confused! :confusedshrug:

Kumo
07-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Same here man, thats my problem. Its so frustrating...we need help.

west
07-23-2008, 09:23 AM
i'm 20 years old man,i lift a lot of heavy stuff(i work in the restaurant for like 6 years everyday,i can lift dirty dishes and heavy meat easily)but i got the same problem here,i can shoot 20fter easily,but as long as i go out to the 3 point line,i feel like i never gonna make it,and i barely shoot FT without jumping,i feel so embarassing when i have a open look then end up air ball:banghead:

BostonsAccent
07-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Your form can't be correct. Find a video teaching basketball shooting form, and mock it. If your chucking up a shot from the 3pt line, there has to be something terribly wrong with your form.

Mr_Basketball#1
07-23-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm a shooter so I can give you some tips. When I was around that age I had the same problem. Basically all you need to do is to continuosly shoot from where you are comfortable and keep moving back. You have to have confidence. Shoot it the exact same way every time. I suggest you find a jump rope because it's all about the legs. Try doing calf raises as well. Don't go too hard on the weights because adding too much muscle can throw your shot off.

Kumo
07-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Gotcha, thanks. I can also try and get a video of my shot. Its not weird or anything, but we'll see.

Mr_Basketball#1
07-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Yeah then we can maybe dissect it and find out how we can improve it.

Kumo
07-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Well I took a clip, but tried to upload and its in .MOV format. Quicktime plays it really slow, to where you just here audio, and no video. So I guess I can't show it. uhg...

KeylessEntry
07-23-2008, 09:23 PM
I gotta agree with Mr_Basketball. I used to have the same problem that you guys are describing when I was in HS. I have always had a really smooth stroke, but once I got out around the 3pt line, I didnt have enough power behind my shot, and I had to compensate by messing up my shooting form.

What he said about practicing within your range is very important. Figure out how far away you can get while keeping a smooth shot, and practice from that distance. You will slowly find that you feel comfortable shooting farther and farther away.

Another thing I used to do was lay in my bed with only my shooting arm extended, holding a basketball. I would practice my release by flicking the ball up and trying to get as close to the celing without hitting it, catch the ball in your shooting hand when it comes back down, and once your hand is balanced, shoot it again, do this over and over and you really start to feel the muscles in your hand and wrist working. Doing this excercise really helped strengthen my release.

I think the most important thing is dont waste your time shooting shots that are out of your range. If you are trying to practice, and end up modifying your release and shot to compensate for lack of power, you are going to mess up your shot. Just practice your release, and if you want to hit the gym, hit your tri-ceps, back and legs.

Kumo
07-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Note taken, Keyless.

Got the video. I had to stand in the sun, or else its in my eyes really bad (I usually wait till sundown to go out and shoot).

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/BentleyCntlGT/?action=view&current=P1000518.flv

KeylessEntry
07-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Your release looks fine. Just keep practicing the shots you know you can make, and the range will come as you get older and stronger.

Akif
07-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Er, your release isn't perfect. You look like you're shooting with both hands, as in, your left hand seems to be "flicking" as well. Practice just leaving your left hand there while your right hand shoots it. Your left hand is only there to keep the ball in your hands, you can't catch and shoot with one hand.

Also I realized your motion is different from the guys I know. You bring the ball up as you bend your knees. If you want a little more power, leave the ball in your shooting pocket as your bending your knees, so don't bring the ball up to your head yet. Leave it there as you lower yourself for power. Finally bring the ball up, jump and release at the same time. :applause:

Here's a picture of your shooting pocket in case you didn't understand : http://dickbshootingcamp.com/images/tip/may2008-2.jpg

Kumo
07-24-2008, 12:02 AM
k thanks, I'll try that tommorow.

As for shooting with my left hand, I don't put up any power with it, its just a habit to flick it like the right hand.

hito da god
07-25-2008, 12:43 AM
do form shooting two feet in front of the basket EVERY DAY for 20 minutes plus

as you get better, do your form shooting from farther, and farther, and farther

the pros do form shooting from 17 feet (probably more) without bending their knees. that's how i added range to my shot, and that's how i was taught to add range to my shot

dab0yech0
07-25-2008, 05:33 PM
I had the same problem after high school with the transition to a bigger court in college. The way I adjusted was I had to use my legs more. In high school I easily shot the 3ball with a flick of my wrist but against better competition in college, I had to adjust by using my lower body more when I shot. Basically just bend your knees and try to get your power from your legs into it when you shoot. I am bad at explaining it through writing but I hope that helps.

hwliuLAP
07-29-2008, 02:25 PM
2 things I'd do to practice

one is practice FTs, like another poster said, bend your knees down and go up THEN lift up your shooting pocket then smoothly release. Imagine it as a flow of energy gradually going from ground to up.

another one is try to maintain just the way you shoot but practice shooting 2-3 steps behind the 3point line, if you start shooting these shots, soon the 3 point shot is going to feel much much easier.

gsw21
07-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Well I'm fifteen as well and am pretty skinny and not very strong. But i can shoot the three pretty well. It's just more of a mental thing; once you see the three point line you think you're so much farther out. But if you just shoot normally, use your legs, you'll be surprised how close it really is.

inclinerator
08-02-2008, 05:00 PM
its the legs use ur legs more push it in and flick too

jwill4pm
08-14-2008, 05:16 AM
use your legs im only 5'10 120 pounds and can easily shoot from 25 feet

Hoopla
03-22-2009, 08:17 AM
I have serious problems using my legs sometimes too. Someone mentioned visualising the power rising from the ground up- I find this helps a lot

__________________________________________________ _________________
11 ideas to improve your mental ability in basketball.
www.best-basketball-tips.com/awaken-the-jordan-within.html

Plus, lots of FREE stuff at:
www.best-basketball-tips.com

gatorskater
03-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Like was said eariler, start close to the hoop and shoot from there until you are consistent, than move back a foot or so. Also technique is important. Have a slight bend at the knees, and when you reach the apex of your jump is when you should shoot. If you're right handed, keep your left hand on the side of the ball to guide it, and vice-versa. When you shoot, you should have a nice flick of the wrist and the ball should roll off your fingertips. You should also be focused on where you are going to shoot at all times.

mika
03-24-2009, 03:24 AM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=69TS59WW
3 point shooting workout

JJ81
03-24-2009, 08:01 AM
I would have troubling shooting an NBA 3 but I play on FIBA courts.

mika
04-07-2009, 03:59 PM
http://www.demonoid.com/files/?category=0&subcategory=All&quality=All&seeded=0&external=2&query=better+basketball&uid=0&sort=

ILballa
04-07-2009, 05:33 PM
http://www.demonoid.com/files/?category=0&subcategory=All&quality=All&seeded=0&external=2&query=better+basketball&uid=0&sort=
Where do I click to download?

Edit: Nevermind.

ILballa
04-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm unable to play the video after downloading it.

mika
04-07-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm unable to play the video after downloading it.what video did you download?

Kobe4Mvpk
04-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Niceeeeeeeee

ILballa
04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
what video did you download?
The JJ Redick Shooting one.

ILballa
04-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know the solution to my problem?

crounsa810
04-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Most of it is mental. I know I used to suck at 3's but I could make it when I moved in an inch within the line. Just get out of your head that its a long shot. Don't worry about it. Just picture it as any other shot.

I did that, now I make multiple 3s every game. Of course, I can't shoot as well inside the 3, but I have to work on that again.

1manfastbreak
04-09-2009, 05:03 PM
its all in your legs. there have been very few shooters who have a tippy toe jump shot. Larry Bird is one that comes to mind. you just need to bend your knees and use that power from your lower body.

1~Gibson~1
04-09-2009, 06:42 PM
if it's going over the rim try putting less power into your jumpshot. if it's coming up short then put more into it, but either way IMO it's all in the release. Im one of the best shooters at my skool and i can make them standing on both feet or while jumping. Like i said, try shooting it harder/softer and develop a consistent rhythm. Dont shoot it like this, then like this, then 3 or 4 more differnt ways. You need muscle memory.

mika
04-09-2009, 10:50 PM
the movie is still downloading for me.

ILballa
04-10-2009, 01:08 PM
the movie is still downloading for me.
When did you start?

mika
04-13-2009, 11:03 PM
When did you start?a couple days, the download speed is crawling.

xcesswee
04-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Most people who have trouble shooting long range shots never use their legs. I'm 5'6 and about 130 and i can easily shoot from college 3 point and little farther out. You have to bend ur legs and bring the ball to the set point (the position right before u shoot ur shot). Then as you start pushing upwards with your leg for power you should start releasing the ball at the same time (this will provide one continuous motion). Ur arms and wrists when following through should almost feel effortless because most of the power will be coming from your legs. If you feel like your shot is underpowered right when you release the ball then you know you aren't using enough leg power.

dmoz21
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
You should work on speeding up your release. If you can your shot off more quickly it increases range and accuracy. More info on my site streetball.com. You can click here (http://www.streetball.com/video/moseleys-off-the-backboard-two) to see me dunk.

Splitz77
04-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Er, your release isn't perfect. You look like you're shooting with both hands, as in, your left hand seems to be "flicking" as well. Practice just leaving your left hand there while your right hand shoots it. Your left hand is only there to keep the ball in your hands, you can't catch and shoot with one hand.

Also I realized your motion is different from the guys I know. You bring the ball up as you bend your knees. If you want a little more power, leave the ball in your shooting pocket as your bending your knees, so don't bring the ball up to your head yet. Leave it there as you lower yourself for power. Finally bring the ball up, jump and release at the same time. :applause:

Here's a picture of your shooting pocket in case you didn't understand : http://dickbshootingcamp.com/images/tip/may2008-2.jpg

The only thing I dont like about your form, (If that is you) is that you have both feet lined up with each other. That kind of form can cause cramping in your neck. Thats why you see more and more nba players put one foot slightly in front of the other. I put one foot out in front of the other as well.

I'm not saying your form is wrong, because it is one way to set up, Im just saying that with your feet lined up can cause cramping.

ClutchCityReturns
04-16-2009, 05:41 AM
It looks like this thread is pretty old, so I don't even know if the OP is still seeking help...but just in case...

Your form could be a lot better. You remind me a little of how I used to shoot when I was about that age. My favorite players were Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler, so I sort of created a hybrid of both their shooting motions. Kind of a two handed, above the head release.

It wasn't much of an issue because I played in the post my freshman year even though I was only 5'9". But going into the summer my coach told me to either grow or learn how to shoot. Otherwise, it was going to be hard for him to find me minutes on a higher level (JV or Varsity) squad.

Well I never did grow, but I learned how to shoot. It was really just a matter of working on it everyday and not overestimating my range. Distance shooting is something you really have to develop over time. With you, it's going to start with a change in form.

First, you need to get your right foot slightly ahead of your left. That will feel more natural with the movement of your upper body.

Second, you need to start with the ball lower. Right now you're not getting any momentum on your shot because you're range of motion is limited (from in front of you face and up). Think of it in terms of throwing a baseball. If you pull your arm back and throw, you're going to throw a lot harder and faster more easily than if you put your arm straight out in front of you and then try to throw it.

Last, and most importantly, bend your knees. It looks like you're getting very little leg into the shot, which makes it nearly impossible to shoot from deep with any kind of consistency unless your name is Sam Perkins.

Here's a video of me doing an exercise I call "Pick Ups" that is designed to help you create a habit of using your legs. I advise that you not start out as far as I do in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAh21alvdrU

And here's a video of me shooting from out of bounds (26 feet or so). It's probably better for showing proper form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5460Yo8G5XU

Hopefully you find this stuff helpful. :cheers:

Steezygotups
04-19-2009, 03:14 PM
im small, as in not a lot of muscle and i have no problem jacking up nba range threes.

I find it is mostly in the wrist. if you are having trouble reaching the distance of the basket, try flicking your wrist a lot harder and faster than with mid range shots. just shoot with a really quick release like ray allen.

mainly id say just flick HARDer with your wrist.

Thorpesaurous
04-19-2009, 08:04 PM
I think this is wildly overlooked in weight workouts, but one of the best excercises for basketball is forearm curls and forearm extensions. It's sort of the sister excercise to calf raises that are so overblown because they allegedly improve vertical. More importantly they help lateral movement.

But the forearm workouts will add range and quickness to your release, and they'll do it over a few months. They'll also tighten up your handle and give you more of a snap off the bounce.

The reason most guys have trouble with range is that they lengthen their throw motion from the elbow to try to make up for the extra distance. The problem with that is that small mistakes from that pivot point lead to bigger mistakes in the shot. It's a geometry problem really, based on circumference. A small distance change on a the inner part of a radius yields a much larger distance change on the outer part of the radius. The same is true of golf and baseball swings.

So if you're lifting weights, start doing these. They don't take a ton of time, and they don't require a lot of weight. Light weight, and max reps.

Also, as for the actual shooting, don't forget to focus on getting the ball up. A lot of guys will put so much into covering the extra distance that the shot becomes flat, and then even if you're reaching, and have incredible accuracy, you're really limiting what is and isn't a makable shot.

ILballa
05-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm unable to play the video after downloading it.
Can anyone help me out?

takeittothehoop
05-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Stroke looks fine just keep at it and try to increase your range little by little each day.

takeittothehoop
05-12-2009, 07:56 AM
its all in your legs. there have been very few shooters who have a tippy toe jump shot. Larry Bird is one that comes to mind. you just need to bend your knees and use that power from your lower body.

This is very true..a good strong jump on your jump shots can make hell of a difference.

Kumo
05-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks guys, re-read everything and some really helpful stuff. My form seems a lot better, my mid-range shooting is pretty good now. I don't pull the ball up over my head anymore really, but I still have trouble past the 3-point line, but anywhere inside I'm doing pretty well.

Thanks for the tips, gonna work on some of this stuff (like pickups) to get a 3 going.

1manfastbreak
05-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks guys, re-read everything and some really helpful stuff. My form seems a lot better, my mid-range shooting is pretty good now. I don't pull the ball up over my head anymore really, but I still have trouble past the 3-point line, but anywhere inside I'm doing pretty well.

Thanks for the tips, gonna work on some of this stuff (like pickups) to get a 3 going.

there is nothing wrong with having the bal by your head. the more you have the ball in a ready to shoot position, the quicker your release and shot is. You don't want to be pulling the ball down then comming up with it, it makes it a lot easier for the D to stip you.

im guessing you meant putting the ball over your head when your shooting, kinda making a slingshot type effect, you dont wanna do that either.

Kumo
05-13-2009, 12:44 AM
im guessing you meant putting the ball over your head when your shooting, kinda making a slingshot type effect, you dont wanna do that either.

Exactly.

Shoo
05-17-2009, 06:25 PM
It might be a mental thing. Some people (including me) start shooting differently when they know they are behind the line. But when they play on a court where there are no lines, they shoot it great from downtown.

J23
05-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Do you have one with the dribbling with sound?

mika
05-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Do you have one with the dribbling with sound?What? that didn't really make sense. I do have a lot of dribbling and ball handling videos though.

J23
05-21-2009, 06:53 AM
What? that didn't really make sense. I do have a lot of dribbling and ball handling videos though.
It was actually the better basketball: passing video when i dled it doesnt have sound.