Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   It's Official - this is not a weak draft (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605)

fatboy11 06-07-2006 04:40 PM

It's Official - this is not a weak draft
 
This is not a weak draft.

It is weak in terms of major impact, superstar type players. But the draft is just meant to improve teams and I think a ton of players from this draft will do that.

I just spotted at least 4 guys projected to go in the second round of a couple of mock drafts that I thought will definitely go in the first round. Then I go to see who they would bump out of the first round of said mock drafts and I could only find 2 guys that should be 2nd rounders.

I guess it's one of those "eye of the beholder" type drafts. If you are the type of person who thinks that the draft should provide a number of major impact guys every year, then yes I could see where you would think it is a weak draft. But if you are like me and are of the opinion that the draft is soley meant to help improve teams, then it is not a weak draft. Good role player draft, I say.

fatboy11 06-07-2006 04:45 PM

Now that I think about it, I shouldn't have made a thread about this.

I suck.

dffsaf 06-07-2006 04:45 PM

average!
 
i think the best player in the draft will definelty be Rudy Gay when it comes down to it...playing for the huskies there were far to many options for him to absolutely dominate like people expected...and because of that fact,another great player who should easily be in the first round but isnt bc he didnt explode at uconn is denham brown...he'll be a whole lot better pro then in college...this is why i say this draft is deep but not strong...lots of great players you could get late(denham brown) but there isnt much star talent....those 2 facts cancel eachother out and this draft becomes AVERAGE!!!

TheReturnofCed 06-07-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dffsaf
i think the best player in the draft will definelty be Rudy Gay when it comes down to it...playing for the huskies there were far to many options for him to absolutely dominate like people expected...and because of that fact,another great player who should easily be in the first round but isnt bc he didnt explode at uconn is denham brown...he'll be a whole lot better pro then in college...this is why i say this draft is deep but not strong...lots of great players you could get late(denham brown) but there isnt much star talent....those 2 facts cancel eachother out and this draft becomes AVERAGE!!!


Rudy Gay couldn't dominate at UConn but he'll dominate the NBA? Yeah Right.

I'm not saying he's crap, but your logic is flawed.

fatboy11, you're right this is a really good draft for players that can really come in and help teams.

Aldridge
Morrison
Foye
Roy
Gay
Redick
Brewer
Carney
O'Bryant
Shelden Williams
Marcus Williams
James White
Leon Powe

should all contribute immediatley.


These guys:
Rondo
Sene
Thomas
Bargani

should be good in time.

adamcz 06-07-2006 04:53 PM

A draft with good role players is still a weak draft. To me it looks like the weakest one since 2002, when the top five picks included Gooden, Dunleavy, and Tskitishvili.

Spike Spiegel 06-07-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReturnofCed
Rudy Gay couldn't dominate at UConn but he'll dominate the NBA? Yeah Right.

I'm not saying he's crap, but your logic is flawed.

fatboy11, you're right this is a really good draft for players that can really come in and help teams.

Aldridge
Morrison
Foye
Roy
Gay
Redick
Brewer
Carney
O'Bryant
Shelden Williams
Marcus Williams
James White
Leon Powe

should all contribute immediatley.


These guys:
Rondo
Sene
Thomas
Bargani

should be good in time.


Sans O'Bryant (not sold on him yet), I think the rest of this list is dead on.

fatboy11 06-07-2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamcz
A draft with good role players is still a weak draft. To me it looks like the weakest one since 2002, when the top five picks included Gooden, Dunleavy, and Tskitishvili.

The difference between that draft and this draft is expectation.

People didn't seem to think that would turn out to be that bad of a draft. People (scouts, GMs, etc.) already have somewhat low expectations of the impact level of this draft.

In 2002, it was "Drew Gooden this" and "Dunleavy Jr. that" and "Skita this" and "Dajuan Wagner that" and they just laid eggs really in comparison to what they were supposed to be. This year, they really only have high hopes for Aldridge, Roy, Bargnani, Thomas, and Thomas as major impact guys. Even Marcus Williams and Rudy Gay are being taken with a grain of salt for some reason. The projected success level of this draft has been very downplayed. I don't remember that being the case in '02.

I will agree that it is the "weakest" draft since 2002 though even though I don't like to use the word "weak". That word would desribe the Kwame Brown draft.

SecondFiddle 06-07-2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy11
Now that I think about it, I shouldn't have made a thread about this.

I suck.


I agree the draft is deep, but it is weak at the top. The top 8 teams are all going to try to trade down, so the top players will all end up on good teams.

And I disagree, you do not suck- Budda loves you.

craigthomasb 06-07-2006 06:49 PM

couple of changes

Aldridge
Morrison
Foye
Roy
Gay
Redick
Brewer
Carney
Shelden Williams
Marcus Williams (will be THE guy from this draft)


should all contribute immediatley.


These guys eventualy

O'Bryant
Rondo
Sene
Thomas
Bargani
lowry

JordanPippenRodman 06-07-2006 07:41 PM

There's no doubt in my mother ****ing mind that those pimps dee brown and james augustine will go in the 1st round. just watch. :pimp:

fatboy11 06-07-2006 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanPippenRodman
There's no doubt in my mother ****ing mind that those pimps dee brown and james augustine will go in the 1st round. just watch. :pimp:

Dee Brown maybe, but James Augustine?

At this point, it looks like he'll be lucky to be drafted.......

SecondFiddle 06-07-2006 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy11
Dee Brown maybe, but James Augustine?

At this point, it looks like he'll be lucky to be drafted.......


Draftexpress has Augustine going in the first round.

fatboy11 06-07-2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondFiddle
Draftexpress has Augustine going in the first round.

It must be true then!!!!!!

JordanPippenRodman 06-07-2006 07:57 PM

Augustine is the ideal NBA player. absolutely flawless character. he's the perfect upstanding citizen. probably the best character player in the league as soon as he steps foot into it. not to mention great experience against awesome big 10 teams like MSU with Paul Davis and company. Augustine can rebound and put baskets back up like nobody could in the Big 10. Austine might be able to run the floor better than any big man in the draft. He is the tallest QB in Illinois High School history. He was 6 foot 10 playing QB for the Lincoln Way Knights. Augustine is incredibly intelligent and has above average handles for a big man. he's a lock for the 1st round because he's such a safe pick. you know exactly what you're going to get. ILLINOIS is a great school who has faced top notch competition for years on end. dee brown is underrated too. that's a whole nother story but i'll say it will be harder to find a mentally stronger player than dee brown. not to mention he only has one speed. and that's fast! he also played QB in high school for Proviso East. He too has a high basketball IQ and he's a natural born leader. afterall, he's the one man fast break.


SecondFiddle 06-07-2006 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanPippenRodman
Augustine is the ideal NBA player. absolutely flawless character. he's the perfect upstanding citizen. probably the best character player in the league as soon as he steps foot into it. not to mention great experience against awesome big 10 teams like MSU with Paul Davis and company. Augustine can rebound and put baskets back up like nobody could in the Big 10. Austine might be able to run the floor better than any big man in the draft. He is the tallest QB in Illinois High School history. He was 6 foot 10 playing QB for the Lincoln Way Knights. Augustine is incredibly intelligent and has above average handles for a big man. he's a lock for the 1st round because he's such a safe pick. you know exactly what you're going to get. ILLINOIS is a great school who has faced top notch competition for years on end. dee brown is underrated too. that's a whole nother story but i'll say it will be harder to find a mentally stronger player than dee brown. not to mention he only has one speed. and that's fast! he also played QB in high school for Proviso East. He too has a high basketball IQ and he's a natural born leader. afterall, he's the one man fast break.



I thought Roger Powell was the character guy at Illinois, by the way WTF is he at these days, 700 club?

fatboy11 06-07-2006 07:59 PM

Quote:

he's a lock for the 1st round because he's such a safe pick.
He is NOT a lock for the first round. That is fact.

If that were true, he wouldn't be playing in the Orlando pre-draft camp. He would have been invited to the physical only portion of the camp.

I think he's an NBA player too, but he ain't going in the first round.

I'll throw down an avatar bet on that one.

JordanPippenRodman 06-07-2006 08:04 PM

who is that according to? a bunch of mock drafts that are always wrong? :roll: trust me, he'll go round 1. there is a dearth of big men in this year's draft. if he came out in 2007, he wouldn't be drafted.

fatboy11 06-07-2006 08:06 PM

Scared of the avatar bet?

And this is according to me and everything I've read. None of which has mentioned him as even having a chance to go in the first round. Basically, he's playing for a spot in the second round.

Anyways, avatar bet?

JordanPippenRodman 06-07-2006 08:12 PM

You got nothing to lose. you got a picture of a really high crack head as your avatar. i have a symbol of the greatest man (was he?) ever to play the game. get bent.

fatboy11 06-07-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanPippenRodman
You got nothing to lose. you got a picture of a really high crack head as your avatar. i have a symbol of the greatest man (was he?) ever to play the game. get bent.

How dare you?!?!

I'll sport a James Augustine "Fatboy11 is my bitch" avatar for two weeks if he is drafted in the first round.

Hawker 06-07-2006 08:19 PM

Quote:




"Come out"

JordanPippenRodman 06-07-2006 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondFiddle
I thought Roger Powell was the character guy at Illinois, by the way WTF is he at these days, 700 club?


Roger Powell is an upstanding citizen. i went to school with his girlfriend at joliet junior college (he's from joliet). she was always telling me that he would go in round 2. he's a spiritual leader on and off the court. you could always count on roger. that's what makes him so special. his girlfriend was always dressing down for class. she had a bomb ass. beyonce who? i'm for real. too bad she couldn't sing because she was fine as hell.

GOBB 06-07-2006 08:28 PM

I like this draft. Adam Morrison will slip in the draft and Rudy Gay whom some think would slide (me) will go higher then expected, but at a slot where talently he should go.

Anyone watch much of NC St Cedric Simmons? PF. If so holla.

fatboy11 06-07-2006 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondFiddle
Draftexpress has Augustine going in the first round.

Well, they had this to say about him today.

Enjoy.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1331

JordanPippenRodman 06-07-2006 08:32 PM

fatboy, watch your mouth. :no:

sydneyking 06-07-2006 08:36 PM

...
 
Augustine will not go in the first round

SecondFiddle 06-07-2006 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy11
Well, they had this to say about him today.

Enjoy.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1331


Ok you should feel good about that bet than:roll:
Is Powell overseas?

fatboy11 06-07-2006 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondFiddle
Ok you should feel good about that bet than:roll:
Is Powell overseas?

I didn't need that article to feel good about the bet.

And Powell played in the CBA this year. CBA Rookie of the Year to be exact.

Real Men Wear Green 06-07-2006 09:08 PM

This draft isn't the worst we've ever seen, but it's pretty bad. The age limit has combined with early entry from years past to weaken the talent pool. A list of teams that have players that could have been first round picks this year if they had waited until now to come out, and those players:
Atlanta: Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Zaza Pachulia
Boston: Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Kendrick Perkins
Philly: Andre Igoudale, Louis Williams (should have went to college, IMO)
Toronto: Chris Bosh, Charlie Villanueva
Dallas: Pavel
Houston: Maciej Lampe
NO: Chris Paul, JR Smith
Chi: Luol Deng
Cleveland: Ok, this guy isn't even worth mentioning...
Milwaukee: Andrew Bogut
Nuggets: Melo
Charlotte: Felton & May
Minnie: Rashad McCants
Portland: Telfair, Outlaw, Webster
Seattle: Robert Swift
Jazz: Deron Williams, Kris Humphries, and CJ Miles
Miami: Dorell Wright
Orlando: Darko, Howard, Ariza
G-State: Mona Ellis, Chris Taft
Clippers: Livingston, Korolev
LA: Andrew Bynum, Von Wafer

That's 37 players, many of whom would have ended up coming out this year under the present rules, due either to the rule flat-out making them wait or college bball hurting their stock. The Mike Miller ROY year was probably worse (mainly saying this because he's the worst ROY I can think of) but this draft's talent pool has been hurt and doesn't look that good. Marcus Williams may have the best career out of anyone in this class.

Real Men Wear Green 06-07-2006 09:11 PM

Additional thought: When's the last time that no one on the NCAA Champion went to the NBA the next season? Because that's going to happen this year. Joakim Noah, Corey Brewer, and Al Horford all could have been first round picks but instead chose to stay in school.

mavsfan4zindagi 06-07-2006 09:20 PM

This is the weakest draft in over a decade.

BeckDiggLer 06-07-2006 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavsfan4zindagi
This is the weakest draft in over a decade.


Dude, you don't know what your talking about this draft has 80 future nba players in it.

The Reign Man 06-07-2006 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Houston: Maciej Lampe


I agree with pretty much anything else, but I don't think anyone would have taken Lampe in the first round. He's pretty much worthless.

BeckDiggLer 06-07-2006 09:46 PM

There are 24 futrue NBA PG's in this draft and 22 PF's
It's weak as far as 3's go, but dudes in this draft that would normally go in the first round will drop to the second round and some will even fall out of the draft because there is so much talent.

JSub 06-07-2006 09:48 PM

Yo, fatboy, who's going to Houston? Can he put us over the top?

fatboy11 06-07-2006 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSub
Yo, fatboy, who's going to Houston? Can he put us over the top?

Hopefully Shelden Williams or Brandon Roy. I think either one could make us really danger.

Ronnie Brewer, Rodney Carney, or Marcus Williams would really help us, but not as much as the other two.

A Roc 23 06-07-2006 09:51 PM

I thought Brewer was the surefire ROY?

funkylikemonkey 06-07-2006 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamcz
A draft with good role players is still a weak draft. To me it looks like the weakest one since 2002, when the top five picks included Gooden, Dunleavy, and Tskitishvili.


A lot of good players were drafted a little later on though.

9-Amare
10-Caron
23-Prince
25-Krstic
35-Boozer

fatboy11 06-07-2006 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Roc 23
I thought Brewer was the surefire ROY?

He is.

I'm thinking past that.

Real Men Wear Green 06-08-2006 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reign Man
I agree with pretty much anything else, but I don't think anyone would have taken Lampe in the first round. He's pretty much worthless.

He's done nothing, but he was highly-regarded on a few mock drafts before concern over his buyout allegedly caused him to slide on draft day.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy